Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on April 26, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

When a politician on the campaign trail claims, “I’m just quoting, I’m just quoting” something from the opposition, you can bet your bottom dollar they probably aren’t.  Barack Obama insisted in his North Carolina speech on Tuesday that he was just quoting an unnamed Republican Congresswoman who supposedly attacked students for running up debt:

She said she had ‘very little tolerance for people who tell me they graduate with debt because there’s no reason for that.’  I’m just quoting here, I’m just quoting.

She said students who rack up student loan debt are just ‘sitting on their butts having opportunity dumped in your lap.’  I’m reading it here. So I didn’t make this up.

Well, actually, Obama wasn’t quoting Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC), at least not accurately, and so he did make up his assertion.  As Katrina Trinko reported for National Review, Foxx wasn’t claiming that she couldn’t tolerate any students who took out student loans.  What she did say was that she had no tolerance for students who take out $80,000 or more in debt to get overly expensive education and then later claim poverty when it comes time to pay:

“I have very little tolerance for people who tell me that they graduate with $200,000 of debt or even $80,000 of debt because there’s no reason for that,” Foxx continued. “We live in an opportunity society and people are forgetting that. I remind folks all the time that the Declaration of Independence says ‘life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.’ You don’t sit on your butt and have it dumped in your lap.”

How many of those who owe student-loan debt rise to that level?  Trinko did a little research:

According to a recent study by the New York Fed, 94 percent of student-loan debtors owe $75,000 or less. (Forty-three percent owe $10,000 or less.) So, Foxx was talking about a very small percentage — 6 percent! — of the student-loan debtor population, not all students.

But by omitting that crucial phrase — and Obama did not acknowledge he had omitted any of the quote — the president made Foxx appear to to be lambasting all students who graduate with debt, not the small percentage who graduate with $80,000 or more.

And actually, Foxx’s advice is a lot more helpful than Obama’s to these students.  Does Obama want young adults to get out of college with $200,000 in debt that they likely will never fully retire, leaving them financially crippled and unable to buy a house even if they get a decent-paying job?  Why does Obama hate students?

Or perhaps even more to the point, himself (via Jim Geraghty):

As Lynn Sweet of the Chicago Tribune wrote during the last campaign, Obama worked his way through college and law school – including jobs selling trinkets, making sandwiches at a deli in Hawaii and working as a telemarketer pitching subscriptions to The New York Times. Michelle’s early jobs included work as a camp counselor and a typist/assistant for the American Medical Association. In the early years, nobody would call the Obamas rich.

But according to their tax returns, which are available on the White House website, the Obamas had a healthy, six-figure income by the year 2000 (the earliest return available). And for at least two years before his loans were paid off, Obama, by his own definition, made so much they were wealthy enough to pay higher taxes.

Here’s a rundown of the president’s income, according to his tax returns, in the years before he paid off his student loans:

2004: $207,647

2003: $238,327

2002: $259,394

2001: $272,759

2000: $240,505

In 2001 and 2002, the Obamas would have met the $250,000 standard the president has set for those wealthy enough to afford to pay more taxes.

It’s also notable that the Obamas didn’t claim deductions for student loans on any of those years, most likely because they made too much money to qualify for the student loan deduction.

So even when he was “rich,” Obama couldn’t quite retire the student loans — and most of those students who fall into the high-debt category won’t win public office and write memoirs for extra income.  Wasn’t that Foxx’s actual point?

Of course, this is the same President who wants to force all of these young adults to buy expensive comprehensive health insurance that they don’t need in order to subsidize premiums for 45-64 year olds, too.  Pushing young adults into indentured servitude seems to be a habit of his.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’d bet my next paycheck Obama didn’t pay his own loans (assuming he even took them out). His grandmother was the Vice President of one of the most successful banks in Hawaii. He admitted Affirmative Action helped him during his college admissions process.

If he DID apply for loans, let’s see the applications… or are those all sealed up and tucked away as well?

Washington Nearsider on April 26, 2012 at 8:04 AM

The Bible teaches that the borrower is servant of the lender.
Obama wants students to have such debt.

itsnotaboutme on April 26, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Ah why the hubbub about getting the words right?

Ash: Whoa. Wait a minute. The words. Right, right, right. Say the words. Clatto! Verata! Nn… Necktie, necturn, nickle… noodle. It’s an ‘n’ word. It’s definitely an ‘n’ word. It was definatly an ‘n’ word! Clatto! Verata! Nn(coughcough). Okay then. That’s it.

Just keep Obama away from the book of the dead, so that he doesn’t make an Ash of himself (anymore than he already has)

CitizenEgg on April 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Washington Nearsider on April 26, 2012 at 8:04 AM

MIA like Jimmy Hoffa.

upinak on April 26, 2012 at 8:10 AM

A student loan is a voluntary act, last time I checked. If one enters into a contract, one should honor it and not expect someone else to pick up the tab.

Of course, Zero is ignoring that little factoid.

dogsoldier on April 26, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I don’t feel sorry for these people with hundreds of thousands of dollars of student debt.

I bet they could have found a cheaper school to go to and GASP worked while they went to school.

It’s all about choices.

gophergirl on April 26, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Thank you! I tweeted about this the other day, wondering why it wasn’t getting more play.

It’s a “Dowdification” if there ever was one!

PS – Follows would be great!

krkwakmgk on April 26, 2012 at 8:14 AM

If memory serves, the Obama Student “Loan” Program is to forgive the debt in 30 years (and less if they worked for Hugh Gubmint).

By the way, awesome new OOTD illustration.

Steve Eggleston on April 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM

$200,000 of debt or even $80,000 of debt…

…to get a degree in transgender multiculturalism

Universities are getting big bucks for turning out unemployable graduates, and the gubmit is subsidizing it. Kids (and parents) lose while the universities get fat.

petefrt on April 26, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Academic reform MUST happen. Higher education needs to be reformed and purged of useless degrees and programs. Loans absolutely should NOT be given if your degree is to be in “homoerotic art” or “womyn’s transgendered lesbian studies”.

Loans should be given for people going into practical disciplines like engineering, medicine, science, etc.

wildcat72 on April 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM

love the new OOTD pic Ed :)

nice

cmsinaz on April 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM

So many silver spoons… so many mouths to feed.

VietVet_Dave on April 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM

he sure does love that strawman doesn’t he

cmsinaz on April 26, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Obama never did a day in public school and he is an inveterate liar. He went to the best prep school in Hawaii (which was probably crap but still it was fee-paying).

It’s more than likely he never paid for his college education. Maybe Moo got a few loans but Golden Latte? No.

But da boy done came up. He grew up with felons in da hood. I mean with a banking executive in an upmarket Honolulu neighborhood.

The nice thing about having no fear of being properly vetted as someone with NPD is you can literally make it all up as you go along.

CorporatePiggy on April 26, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Ahnal nathrak, uthvas bethud, do che-ol di-enve.

And it worked, PBHO was able to make everyone in the audience a total moron.

Bishop on April 26, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I’m just quoting here, I’m just quoting.

I’m reading it here. So I didn’t make this up.

The little sides he adds in his speeches aren’t from a confident person.

Marcus on April 26, 2012 at 8:21 AM

smartest EVAH!

SDarchitect on April 26, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Of course he does. The first rule of dictatorship is to make the individual dependant on the state. And make no mistake about it, Obama wants to be America’s first dictator.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Kids (and parents) lose while the universities get fat.

petefrt on April 26, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Thing is, the legally adult children are choosing such majors and the parents are obviously not providing any oversight.

If my kid came home to tell me they were majoring in Assyrian Transgender Pottery, and that I should start writing tuition checks, I would sit down and have a long, long talk with them about life, personal responsibility, and how far I could shove my boot up their ass.

Bishop on April 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I graduated with 6 1/2 years of college with $60,000 debt.
I consolidated it all at a low interest rate for 20 years & am paying $316/month.
I can manage that.
And I have a BS in geology basically, with a teaching certification.
So I can make $$ to pay them off.

I don’t want to get a Master’s in Ed. bcs I view it as a WORTHLESS pencil pushing pursuit & waste of time.
I’ve watched many of my colleagues getting these Master’s in Pencil Pushing. They’re a JOKE.
The classes are NOTHING. WORTHLESS. It’s a waste of time.
If I get a Master’s, it’s going to be in a hard science, or forget it.

My kid just recently went to finish her little AA ‘degree’ & needed just a few more classes. She applied for financial aid & they told her she needed FOUR classes. But she actually only needed TWO.
They said if she used financial aid to pay, she’d have to take FOUR more classes to finish.
But if she paid with her own $$, she only had to take the TWO.
If that isn’t an effing scam, IDK WHAT is.
That is OUTRAGEOUS.

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Perfect image for your post, Ed.

jaime on April 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM

and how far I could shove my boot up their ass.

Bishop on April 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM

What’s effed up is that if they wait long enough, they won’t need anything from you to get financial aid & will get their transgender degree paid by the tax payer dime.
Something has to be done about this.

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Who paid for Obama’s Harvard Law tuition? Here’s evidence from Bill Ayres’s father’s postman that the the Ayres family supported the young Barack financially. Listen to the video. The postman is very credible. http://www.wnd.com/2012/03/postman-ayers-family-put-foreigner-obama-through-school/

This has been totally ignored by the conservative media and given almost the same treatment that Jack Cashill’s Dreams revelations have received. Ayres wrote Dreams because they had a longterm relationship and his pal needed help.

No Niks on April 26, 2012 at 8:30 AM

wildcat72 on April 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I gotta disagree with you. Not about degrees in such things as transgender whale ecology BUT as a society we need people educated in all disciplines, not just the “practical” ones. That being said, I have no tolerance for somebody who gets a degree in art history or political science that whines they can’t get a job in their field after graduation.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Not Obama’s fault the most important part of the quotation was omitted. NBC News wrote the speech for him.

forest on April 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM

The Little Politician made a grouse of straw, but then the Big Bad Blogger came and blew the grouse down….

apostic on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Anyone with that amount of student debt got there because:

A) They probably wrent to an Ivy League school (when there’s plenty of less expensive places that will give you just as good or better an education)
B) They got a useless degree like Wymyn’s Studies or Gay Literature

or

C) They went to med school and are currently working their butts off to get their earnings potential to be the highest it can possibly be.

Somehow I doubt that Giggles the Dog Eater is targeting group C here. And I have no sympathy for groups A and B.

crazy_legs on April 26, 2012 at 8:34 AM

If that isn’t an effing scam, IDK WHAT is.
That is OUTRAGEOUS.

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM

IMO teaching “certifications” are a scam. I know that gets the fur up on so-called educators but that is the way I see it. Certifications are nothing more than a way the teachers union can limit the supply of those “qualified” to teach.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I just read an article about students protesting over student loan debt. My ‘favorite’ part was the 35 yr old with 2 graduate degrees who is in college for a third and was complaining about her $111,000 debt when she graduates. If you have 2 graduate degrees and can only rack up more debt in the process of getting a third, I have no sympathy. How about you stop with the education and find a job to pay off your debt.

ConservativeMom on April 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Democrats lie, frighten and blame.

It’s wired into their DNA.

mankai on April 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I love history, but knew I couldn’t major in it bcs I actually DID want a job.
So I majored in geology & then went into teaching. Obviously I will always have a job now.
I still love history, but I went to college on the taxpayer dime (partially) & I took it seriously. Those grants were not free & I knew even though I wasn’t paying them back that I needed to get my degree in something that would support me & my family & prevent me from being a burden to society any longer.
Problem is, these people majoring in these things are often likely to be getting Federal grants. And that’s quite a bit of $$$/yr.
And then there’s the subsidized loans they may never pay back before they die.

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Studying something that is not practical should be done on one’s own dime, not the taxpayer’s.

wildcat72 on April 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Ah why the hubbub about getting the words right?

CitizenEgg on April 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Words, just words.
Obama does quote pretty accurately sometimes…

itsnotaboutme on April 26, 2012 at 8:38 AM

And yet, the so called enlightened fall for his bull crap again

crosshugger on April 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM

You can a trade degree for relatively little compared to a useless bachelors, and have a job waiting for you with good money.

I have a guild acquaintance who took every course in advanced welding he could find, 10 years in the field later and he works as a specialist charging astronomical fees for his labor. His phone rings off the hook and he is swimming in money.

Bishop on April 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM

ConservativeMom on April 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I just cannot believe they can still get grants & loans for multiple degrees.
The Feds need OUT of the ed biz.
But even so, it boggles my mind that there is nothing in place to monitor this abuse.
I know a lady who is a perpetual student.
Oh she gets a job, but then she goes back to get another worthless ‘degree’ so she can get grants & student loan to live off of.
She knows she can never pay it off.
She pressured her daughter into doing the same thing, but her daughter, bless her heart, made a vow not to get student loan debt.
She works & saves & THEN goes to school. Then stops to work & save when she runs out of $$.
She is one of my former students & I am immensely proud of her for doing it this way.

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I like how Nancy Pelosi and the Dims took over the whole student loan program…set the rates and when they will expire…and then JugEars is riding his Jackass around to all the college towns to fight the problem he created.

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM

And then there’s the subsidized loans they may never pay back before they die.

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM

There is an older guy in one of my classes who is receiving grants up the wazzo, because he is supposedly disabled. He says he is disabled, but I didn’t realize (I guess I am just a mean mean person) that not being able to pay attention was a disability.

I would like those who are really disabled to be able to receive these bennies and not the posers.

upinak on April 26, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Well I imagine many of them are.
Mine took a full year. I would say 1/2 of the classes were crap.
But the other half were very useful for me.
I went to Dickinson State University in ND for it & it was originally a teacher college.
I think, for the most part, many of their teacher certification classes are quite good.
I will say though, that it is hard to prepare someone for teaching other people’s kids.
It’s one of those things you have to basically learn on the fly.
And it ain’t easy like some people think it is.
You either have the talent for it, or you don’t.
And if you don’t, you ought not be doing it.

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Bishop on April 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM

trades are easier, but at the same time to get into the trade school up here, there are long waiting lists and those with cash for school, instead of loans go to the front of the line.

upinak on April 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Was Junior stuttering all over when he said that? Usually you can tell how big the whopper SCoaMF is telling but the number of stutters that precedes it. For example…

I i i i i i i am just like Ronald Reagan.

MNHawk on April 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM

that not being able to pay attention was a disability.

upinak on April 26, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Oh yes.
Special Ed actually sort of extends into higher education.
Although instead of modifications, the college student will receive accommodations. Like more time for a test, or having it read out loud, etc.
And adult ADHD is a ‘real’ disability in college ed. On par with dyslexia.
I don’t want to seem cruel, but if you can’t compete on par with others who are not disabled, you’d better go find something else to do.
My disabled mother never asked for accommodations.
She just found a way to function.

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Bishop on April 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Ton of oil field work for the taking out here.
And of that pipeline can go through, even more welders will be needed.
There is CASH to be made right now.
But there’s so many lazy a$$ people spending more time & effort trying to make $$ off of their a$$ when they could just go actually WORK.

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I love history, but knew I couldn’t major in it bcs I actually DID want a job.

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM

My undergrad degrees are in history and english (double major). I did it because I was also in the ROTC and knew that I would be commissioned (and have a job) after graduation. My Master’s is much more practical job-related.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 8:46 AM

There is a woman who needs a new service dog, due to seizures. I would rather he have a new service dog, than give tax payer money to a man in his 40′s, who can’t get his crap together enough to pay attention.

upinak on April 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I never hear of students being in school debt that use the GI bill.I paid my tuition and got a monthly check for living expenses every month I was enrolled.I never hear Obama or any politician push this route.Simple,do 1 enlistment,get in the program to earn the GI bill and the debt is minimal.

docflash on April 26, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Those who CAN, DO.

Those who CAN’T, TEACH.

Those who CAN’T TEACH, CONsult.

wildcat72 on April 26, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Bishop on April 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM

You’ve hit on a particular peeve of mine. We need to change education where college is not the default for everybody. Face it, not everybody is suited for college for a variety of reasons. Yet, there are few options after graduation from HS. And the dirty little secret is that something like 25% of freshmen in public college have to take at least one remedial course to teach them stuff they should have learned in HS.

We are failing all children when we try to fit them all in the collegiate mode. Far better to develop other career paths and allow students to commit to them early.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 8:55 AM

and then JugEars is riding his Jackass around to all the college towns to fight the problem he created get the liberal indoctrinated vote.

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM

VietVet_Dave on April 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM

upinak on April 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM

That’s why the Feds need to get out of the social services biz.
Let the charities help people, like in the old days. And the communities.
I think people don’t give as much anymore bcs they think the Fed is going to care for people.
We have given up our responsibilities as a community.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM

What is your job & which military branch?

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Thank you, Ed, for speaking the truth about this.

Rep. Virginia Foxx is an excellent Representative in the U.S. House, and a person of honesty and integrity. Quite a contrast to our lying pResident.

While we’re at it, let’s quote Obama’s own words back to him…

The problem is, is that the way Bush has done it over the last eight years is to take out a credit card from the Bank of China in the name of our children, driving up our national debt from $5 trillion for the first 42 presidents – #43 added $4 trillion by his lonesome, so that we now have over $9 trillion of debt that we are going to have to pay back — $30,000 for every man, woman and child. That’s irresponsible. It’s unpatriotic.

- Barack Obama
July 3, 2008

First off, Obama blamed Bush for the over $1 Trillion in new debt that was accumulated by the DEMOCRAT majority in FY 2008. Bush should have vetoed it, but he certainly did not create the FY 2008 deficit “by his lonesome”… it came from a Democrat-controlled House and a Democrat-controlled Senate.

The truth is that Republican majorities added $3.2 Trillion new debt over 6 years from FY 2002-FY 2007.

The truth is the Democrats took majority control of the House and Senate on January 3, 2007, and had majority control of the overall budgeting and spending process beginning with Fiscal Year 2008, which began on October 1, 2007.

The truth is the total national debt on that day, 09/30/2007, was:
$9,007,653,372,262.48 ($9.007 Trillion)

Every penny of new debt since October 1, 2007 has been the result of the DEMOCRAT majority.

So, here’s an update to Obama’s quote:

The problem is, is that the way DEMOCRATS have done it over the last 4 years and 7 months, is to take out a credit card from the Bank of China in the name of our children, driving up our national debt from $9 trillion for the first 43 presidents until the Democrats took majority control – and have added $6.6 trillion since then, so that we now have over $15.6 trillion of debt that we are going to have to pay back — $50,000 for every man, woman and child. That’s irresponsible. It’s unpatriotic.

If Bush and the Republican majority was irresponsible and unpatriotic for adding $3.2 Trillion to the total national debt over the course of 6 years (2002 – 2007), then what do you call Obama and the Democrat majority when they have added over $6.5 Trillion to the total national debt over the course of 4.5 years (FY 2008 – present)?

———————————————————
———————————————————

Obama and the Democrat majority (of which he was a part even before he became pResident) have added more than twice the debt in only 3/4 the time!

Obama and the Democrat majority are more than 2.5 times more “irresponsible” and “unpatriotic” than Bush and the Republican majorities of FY 2002-2007.

———————————————————
———————————————————

ITguy on April 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I got my degree in International Politics. There aren’t many jobs out there that aren’t government. Thankfully, I had the good sense to ALSO earn myself an honorable discharge. My service and the experiences it gained me have gotten me much further in the working world (you know, the REAL one) than my degree has (and probably ever will).

I’m glad I earned my degree, and it was a major accomplishment for me, but that I have it does not, in and of itself, qualify me for much of anything.

Washington Nearsider on April 26, 2012 at 8:58 AM

docflash on April 26, 2012 at 8:54 AM

IMO, and I say this as one eligible for it, the current GI Bill is too generous. Yes, it pays the tuition and a stipend. But it is also transferable to spouses or children (under certain conditions) and it does not differentiate between those who have served in combat and Reservists who have spent limited time on active duty. I’m not against full benefits for those who have made the sacrifice of multiple tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. Not so much for somebody who spent 90 days on active duty.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 9:00 AM

docflash on April 26, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I hear you brother – I did that years ago. But… but… but… that would require actually giving something to get it. That’s contrary to the Obamanomics model.

VietVet_Dave on April 26, 2012 at 9:00 AM

<blockquoteYet, there are few options after graduation from HS. And the dirty little secret is that something like 25% of freshmen in public college have to take at least one remedial course to teach them stuff they should have learned in HS.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I don’t think that’s true at all. There are many options out there for HS kids. You have to find them.

Those who CAN, DO.

Those who CAN’T, TEACH.

Those who CAN’T TEACH, CONsult.

wildcat72 on April 26, 2012 at 8:54 AM

You know, while this may be true for many of my colleagues, it’s not for a lot more of us.
I get effing tired of this mantra.
I’m a good teacher & I know it. Took me some time to realize that bcs there’s a lot of a-holes saying this $hit about teachers.
Without teachers, a lot of people wouldn’t know $HIT.
So I would kindly ask you to lay off of the mantra.
There are good teachers out there.
And there are still a lot of kids in America who get a good education.

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I i i i i i i am just like Ronald Reagan.

MNHawk on April 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I notice this too and I guess I have been vocal about it. When my 12 year old listens to Obama and he starts stuttering, my son tells me watch out, he is going to tell a lie! The stutter is Obama’s ‘tell’ that he is lying.

ConservativeMom on April 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM

There aren’t many jobs out there that aren’t government….

Washington Nearsider on April 26, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I don’t know why you wouldn’t want government work. Based on the behavior of those working in the GSA and Secret Service, “party like a rock star” has been replaced with “party like a civil servant.”

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Pushing young adults into indentured servitude seems to be a habit of his.

I think you’ve cracked the code.

mr.blacksheep on April 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Every penny of new national debt since October 1, 2007 has been the result of the DEMOCRAT majority, and Obama has been a part of it all, either as a Senator in the DEMOCRAT majority, or as pResident.

He claimed to think that $9 Trillion in debt, $30,000 for every man, woman and child, was irresponsible and unpatriotic.

In just four and half years under Obama and the Democrat majority, it’s now over $15.6 Trillion in debt, $50,000 for every man, woman and child.

That’s irresponsible. It’s unpatriotic.

ITguy on April 26, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Democrats are the party of slavery.

Conservative Republicans are the party of freedom.

ITguy on April 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I always wanted to end up in DIA or the Pentagon doing intel analysis work, but I admit that neither of them seem quite as attractive as they once did.

To your point about the GI Bill – I had to take loans in addition to it. The GI Bill paid $1300/mo, but most universities require a single lump payment if you’re full-time. I took a loan to cover that up-front cost, used the GI Bill for living expenses and took a full-time job to pay off the loan well in advance. It worked out pretty well for me. I finished my degree in 2007 (at nearly 30 years old) and had it paid off by 2011.

Of course, if I had bought a new car ever few years, upgraded my TV twice a year, or bought thousands of dollars worth of new clothes whenever I wanted, things may have worked out differently.

I made a choice to take out the loan and make my short-term life easier while I was finishing school. I made a choice to pay the crap out of my bill instead of making minimum payments and lived a life that would allow that.

Choices. Weird.

Washington Nearsider on April 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Badger40 on April 26, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I would suggest that is only true for a small portion of the population. For example, do you realize that only 20% of the target group of 18-21 year olds are actually qualified to go into the military? Obesity, criminal records, and other factors eliminate the other 80%. And these are DoD statistics.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM

ITguy on April 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM

They do have a funny Merriam-Webster for the word, now don’t they.

VietVet_Dave on April 26, 2012 at 9:11 AM

CitizenEgg on April 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Comment of the Day™ (and no, it’s not just because he’s practically family ;-)

Steve Eggleston on April 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Choices. Weird.

Washington Nearsider on April 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Congrats on doing it the right way! There are far too few that follow your path.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Washington Nearsider on April 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM

That is pretty much what I am doing as well. But the GI Bill is only a little over 900 for me. I call it displaced accounting….

I do get annoyed when the guys and gals talk about different GI 9/11 where they get BAH and book money on top of their regular GI bill and complain it isn’t enough money. If they don’t like it I would be more than happy to use it.

upinak on April 26, 2012 at 9:17 AM

ConservativeMom on April 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM

…there is a young man who I think college profs will have a hard time pulling the dog hair down, over his eyes. Thank you!

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Obama is a stuttering clusterf**k of a miserable liar.

WarEagle01 on April 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM

More class warfare. I have a college aged son at home who I am talking out of borrowing money to go to school. Right now, his friends who have student loans are living better than he is. They live on their own and they don’t pay any income tax, in fact, they get large refunds due to the student deductions, while he is still living at home and pays income tax. The two year degree he is going for will not pay enough to justify a $15,000 debt. He could conceivably learn his field if he were able to work or even volunteer to get experience while working a regular job. In two years, he would have the experience in his field without the debt. He knows there is no guarantee that he will ever work in the field he gets his degree from. This truly is a lost generation.

lea on April 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I wouldn’t have done it like that at 22, I can promise you that.

upinak on April 26, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Yeah, I flew with a kid who was like that. He was CLEPing courses and then bitching that he didn’t get full GI Bill benefits. Um… it’s FREE to CLEP courses while you’re active duty. Amassing credit is not the same as attending school full-time.

I don’t understand how the mindset has shifted so radically in what looks like five or ten years. People my age generally do things “the right way” and people my sister’s age (five years younger) ALL want everything NOW and FREE.

I know this is o/t, but I blame the parents who decided to give every kid a trophy during T-ball season. They’ve taught their kids they will never lose, everything will always work out and they will always be recognized for mediocrity.

Life doesn’t work like that.

Washington Nearsider on April 26, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Ah why the hubbub about getting the words right?

CitizenEgg on April 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Army of Darkness quote? Racist!!!

mchristian on April 26, 2012 at 9:28 AM

@corporatePiggy:

Yes, that would be Punahou the gangly braindead failure went to- annual tuition at Punahou for the current school year is $18,000+ a year, per their website.

On a side note- this is where baraka, despite being a foot taller than the majority of the kids on the basketball team, didn’t start and according to his coach whined about getting too little playing time.

Couldn’t get run ahead of a bunch of short prep school kids, but yeah he’s a “baller”. Riiiiiiight.

Put another lie on the pile.

GrassMudHorsey on April 26, 2012 at 9:32 AM

OK, I bet Dear Liar didn’t write the speech himself. He has speechwriters for this, who probably have research staff. So once again we’ve got at best incompetent people feeding The Whine lines. And at worst, Goebbels level propagandists.

rbj on April 26, 2012 at 9:38 AM

The Democrat vs. Republican comparison is even more dramatic if you go back a little further.

Republicans won control of both houses of Congress in the 1994 elections. They were sworn into office in January 1995, and they had majority control of the budgeting process beginning with the October 1995 – September 1996 Fiscal Year 1996 budget. During that time, the total national debt increased from $5 Trillion to $9 Trillion.

Democrats won control of both houses of Congress in the 2006 elections. They were sworn into office in January 2007, and they had majority control of the budgeting process beginning with the October 2007 – September 2008 Fiscal Year 2008 budget. Looking back one month to the end of March, 2012, the Democrats had already increased the total national debt by over $6.5 Trillion in just FY 20008 – first half FY 2012. Including the most recent month, the Democrats have already increased the total national debt by over $6.6 Trillion, to a total of over $15.6 Trillion, and the Democrats aren’t through yet.

The total new national debt accumlated by the Republicans in 12 years, FY 1996-2007, was $4 Trillion.

The total new national debt accumlated by the Democrats in just 4.5 years, FY 2008 – First Half FY 2012, was $6.5 Trillion.

ITguy on April 26, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Not true, back in his dog-eating days, Obama went to public school in Indonesia. Explanation of the fact that you had to be Muslim to attend the school is something that is locked away along with Obama’s college transcripts and thesis paper in the “things we don’t talk about” drawer.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Those who CAN’T TEACH, CONsult.

wildcat72 on April 26, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Those who can’t teach, Teach Teachers!! {My experience!!}

Marco on April 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM

How does Obama square his Muslim upbringing with his eating of dog?

Washington Nearsider on April 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I love the new picture, it is so fitting for a man who thinks he could surpass anyone he hires for any specific job. The conceit of this man is astounding.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM

How does Obama square his Muslim upbringing with his eating of dog?

Washington Nearsider on April 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM

How does he square anything about his past? Anything inconvenient or in contradiction to the official story is racist or something.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM

We need to pick out a few big universities and crucify them as examples, you know, like the Romans did.

Akzed on April 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM

My mistake.

Washington Nearsider on April 26, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Fantastic job Chris on the new OOTD illustration!

Quisp on April 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM

A few points of clarification:
The local banks who have hooked up with local Universities have a vested interest in handing out gubmint guaranteed student loans. My “loan officer” kept trying to convince me to borrow at least twice as much as I requested. I said “thanks, but no thanks”. All I needed was a few bucks in graduate in school as my G.I. Bill was running out, and working nights keeping the peace in “physically challenging nightclubs” (redneck bars and topless joints) didn’t quite pay the bills.
Having earned my third college degree, I left academia at the height of Jimmuh Cottuh’s recession, thus professional employment was extremely hard to come by – much the same as it is now.

In Sum: The Dept. of Education is every bit as ruthless as the IRS when it comes to collections on “default” (read the small print), upon which they stack “penalties”, “fees”, late payments, compound interest, etc. ad nauseam. The Bastids at my bank wouldn’t even conduct a routine “payroll deduction”.
The BANKS have a stake in in this sordid business of course. They get theirs and you get screwed. Anyone who borrows more than they can comfortably pay back … meh … choose another field of endeavour.
How about if all of those fuzzy study, racist, gender specific, America-hating “institutions of higher learning” dump their attempt at societal engineering?
A Modest Proposal: WORK for your sustenance, laggards.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Bishop on April 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM

After two years of college my daughter told us she hated college and wanted to be a hair stylist. So, she went to beauty school, did another year of apprenticeship in a high-end salon and is on track to make $40K this year. In a couple more years she’ll be making $80K after she builds her clientele and gets more experience (that’s what the other, more experienced stylists make at her salon).

And she has no debt.

lovesthesun on April 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Either that or a young man who listens to Beck, who’s been having a running gag with the, “I-i-i-i-i-i-i-i am not making this up…”

MNHawk on April 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Bishop on April 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I have an old high school bud that’s an underwater welder. He’s hard to keep track of, but last I heard he was somewhere in SE Asia, and likely to retire soon.

slickwillie2001 on April 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Akzed on April 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Great idea! I wonder why the government hasn’t thought of it? :0

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Of course, this is the same President who wants to force all of these young adults to buy expensive comprehensive health insurance that they don’t need in order to subsidize premiums for 45-64 year olds, too. Pushing young adults into indentured servitude seems to be a habit of his.

I know it’s not the main thread topic, but this was one of my biggest concerns with Obamacare, and it’s not discussed very much. We need to be more aggressive about explaining to 20 somethings that Obamacare means they have to buy a $10,000-20,000 health insurance policy annually because Obama says so. They might not like him so much then. Obviously, it’s irrelevant if the Supremes knock the bill down.

talkingpoints on April 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

“You lie” was the truest thing ever told about Obama.

Schadenfreude on April 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Get government out of the student loan business…and watch as tuition rates plummet.

As for student loans, any kind of loan, from a bank or credit union, they involve a contract, a voluntary act between lender and borrower. No party is forced to obtain a loan.

Get a loan, pay it off as required to fulfill the contract.

Fail to do so, pay the penalties.

Now, what is so damned difficult to understand about all of that?

If a kid is smart enough to go to college than that kid should be considered smart enough to understand Finance 101.

coldwarrior on April 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

A dirty little secret, unknown to most of the apathetic electorate, are the exorbitant salaries paid to college/university administrators and, perhaps worst of all, tenured full professors. It’s downright obscene. I was literally shocked (and that’s pretty hard to do) when I discovered how much many of those Bozos were compensated.
Do the math:
9 months of “work”,
Work = 25 hours per week,
Graduate students to do most of the work,
Public, taxpayer-funded Universities,
Tenure (even for the most vapid of Phuds),
(please feel free to include the leftist philosophy somewhere, anywhere),
And the power to destroy ones prospective career should an underling dare to “question authority”.
Hell, even that fraud Ward Churchill was pulling down $100k+ per year and he only had a Masters Degree – and not even in the discipline he allegedly led!
Need a student loan?
If you do attend a university and do need a modicum of cash, then do your research and make damn good and sure you’re going to get your money’s worth. If not, quit whining about high tuition rates and overwhelming student loans.
IMHO of course
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

The new illustration is gorgeous, but I have a hard time buying that Obama’s self-love would ever allow him to use a bust of Himself as a footstool — too disrespectful!

sistrum on April 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Even a state college is well over $20,000 a year, in-state tuition.
We’re not a minority, and part of the ‘working poor’, so full price for us.
We’re looking at a two year degree, then decide if my daughter will continue in that field, or go into the private sector.
One thing is for certain, she won’t be spending our money on OWS courses. She knows better. Thank the Lord.

askwhatif on April 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Guy I know hated school, smart enough but just not his thing. After high school he started driving delivery trucks. Got some training, went to big rigs. Got some more training, for steam trucks, for HazMat, for several other things.

He is in great demand, makes good money, works hard.

Don’t knock teachers too much. I worked in a school, to see if it would make sense to get qualified to teach music in schools. It was an eye-opener. Various laws and regulations (administration) put great burdens on teachers, and then there’s the general chaos and mayhem of being around lots of kids. College may be different, but teaching youngsters requires a particular kind of person, with dedication and patience. I ran away screaming, and take my hat of to anybody who can actually educate a kid in those conditions.

jodetoad on April 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I worked my way through college. Others went to Florida for spring break, I was painting stores.
I pulled every penny I paid out of that College, by taking the max credits (18) per semester.
Graduated Cum Laude, with 19 extra credits.

askwhatif on April 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Is that bust in the new pic, a bust of O as Nero?

askwhatif on April 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Those who CAN, DO.

Those who CAN’T, TEACH.

Those who CAN’T TEACH, CONsult become CRITICS.

wildcat72 on April 26, 2012 at 8:54 AM

askwhatif on April 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Love the new OOTD picture!

RonRon on April 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM

First time I’ve seen the new QOTD key art. These would make great (campaign?) posters– with and without “Quote of the Day” on them. Ask Chris. Oh, and can we have one with The One admiring his infinite image in a hall of mirrors, please?

de rigueur on April 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM

hahaha! Love the new OOTD pic ED!

csdeven on April 26, 2012 at 2:39 PM