Carter: I’m comfortable with a Romney win

posted at 12:41 pm on April 25, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Via Greg Hengler, I’m … kind of torn on this one.  On one hand, it plays into every fear among the conservative base of the GOP about Mitt Romney.  On the other hand, the statement from the man formerly known as the worst American President in modern times makes it very, very difficult for Team Obama to succeed in using the advice given by the only other Democratic President in the last 40+ years to paint Romney as The Mostest Radicalist Scariest Right-Winger Since Barry Goldwater Nearly Nuked The Nation.  I’d bet, under the circumstances, that Mitt Romney will be happier than Barack Obama with Jimmy Carter’s assessment of the general election in 2012, or at least less unhappy:

I had to laugh out loud at Carter’s assertion that politics has gotten more polarized since his term in office. Democrats in 1980 tried using the same strategy Bill Clinton gave to Obama, only they used it against Ronald Reagan.  It didn’t work, since the nation wanted a significant change from Carter’s fecklessness and economic malaise more than they feared Reagan’s commitment to conservative principles.  The polarization continued all through Reagan’s two terms in office, perhaps hitting a peak in the awful Robert Bork confirmation hearings and vote in 1987.  The difference was that there were fewer counterweights to liberal media outlets that fueled it.

The question that Greg asks is still a good one: If Jimmy Carter is comfortable with a Romney presidency, it’s a safe bet that a lot more Democrats will be, too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Of course President Carter is just fine with Governor Romney, Romney is a Democrat in all but name.

Theophile on April 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM

SOME of us are.

By holding to those beliefs, rather than letting political expediency and fear make us sublimate those beliefs to the will of the squish majority.

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM

what you are doing is stroking your vanity at the expense of the country.

Time after time, you champions of pure principle have shown us, you would put your hand in the brazier to prove how graet your convictions are..

that’s nice superman..

and in the mean time.. the country is burning, and you refuse to help, because the country did not turn to you and say pretty please with double sugar on it..

If you are that narcissistic, what good are you? You only help, if you get your way 100%?

It’s as if you and the rest are incapable of compromise, even if it means sharing a hose so your block doesn’t burn down.. NO WAY YOU…. MR. PURITY INCARNATE,… would ever deign to compromise with those filthy mortals down below..

Not unless you get to wear the Fire Chief’s hat..

We lost, democracy ruled, and we didn’t get the conservative we wanted.. We can always advance that cause as we get the chance.. but to say.. screw the country.. because we got our feelings hurt?

THAT is not principle..

That, is a childs tantrum… written across the country in ruined lives and devastated communities.. because when you have no job.. purity is a piss poor substitute for food when your kids are hungry..

Ohio is hurting.. we’re bleeding population, the tax base is shrinking, and we are past worrying about having a perfect candidate..

I’m still a conservative.. one in a coalition of the sane, standing alone might soothe your ego, but it just ensures nobody listens to you anymore..

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM

..and he keeps calling Romney the new Reagan.

Buckshot Bill on April 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

..oh, and this: I am not prepared to go that far. But, the Obama regime has the economy so bunged up, that maybe Romney — as a business man — can turn it around and it would seem Reaganesque.

I don’t give a crap whether he’s Reagan or Lenin (or Lennon, for that matter) except that we get Obama’s hands off the controls so that this economic engine can revive itself.

The War Planner on April 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM

What you originally said:

Romney has said a lots of different things to lots of different people. For a notoriously dishonest politician, words are cheap.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM

How you responded to me:

Romney is a notorious flip/flopper, if you weren’t aware of that already then I don’t know what to tell you.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Ok, so which is it? Please explain or as I said….

HomeoftheBrave on April 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM

We warned you folks what would happen, many times what would happen if you nominated a squish, and despite being proved right every time you still persist in doing it. You never learn. and always want us who told you would happen, to rescue you from your self-induced plight. After McCain I swore I wouldn’t do it again.

And the most obnoxious thing about you folks is the pretense that we demand ‘purity’ that we demand 100% perfection.

No. We just want someone who doesn’t suck.

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Basic rule of sensible, pragmatic political action:

You fight for what you want, but if you lose, you work with what you’ve got.

RightWay79 on April 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

but if you lose, you work with what you’ve got.

RightWay79 on April 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

How is working with Obama in the last 3 1/2 years been for you?

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM

A 3rd party will win, if there is a good one, because the American people are tired of all the Democrat and Republican corruption that is destroying the nation and its future.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 2:06 PM

That got me a good belly laugh, thanks.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM

You fight for what you want, but if you lose, you work with what you’ve got.
RightWay79 on April 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Or, when you know that the car is going over the cliff, no matter whether either Thelma or Louise is driving, you jump out and take your chances.

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Basic rule of sensible, pragmatic political action:

You fight for what you want, but if you lose, you work with what you’ve got.

RightWay79 on April 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

didn’t SecDef basically say the same thing under Bush ….

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I understand your position …. I am not sure we can win …
what I am sure of is Obama has to go … If Romney can show
he can fight and not go all John Mac on us .. (and he has)
then lets go … with the house and senate … we can hold him
accountable …. (I hope) if not … well we are screwed either way
under Obama … it will be quick and messy …
under a Liberal/moderate/progressive Romney slow and messy …
pick your poison … I will go with slow … their is a chance
we can turn it around … and if Romney actually acts like
a conservative – BONUS … we KNOW BHO isn’t going
to do anything close to conservative …
about the house and senate – err can we get some LEADERSHIP there that isn’t going to
get all weepy and cave to the Dems – please …

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 2:18 PM

You’re the ones pushing for the same tired, old establishment candidates that have been throwing elections for decades, and somehow WE’RE the ones ginning up votes for Obama? Look in the fragging mirror, COMMUNIST.

Project much?

Dunedainn on April 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM

That got me a good belly laugh, thanks.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Me too, all that destruction is funny to be schadenfreudig about. The harlots are the people, those who support the leftie and the RINO squishes in Wash. D.C. Their lives are very good. See McCain, Hatch, Lugar, the incontinents from both sides, who never want to leave. It’s not at all what the founders had in mind.

These thugs/goods have lost all touch with reality. Support them and get the same results. May the destruction be total, soon. The land has asked for it. When it’s self-inflicted the voters in a relatively free land always deserve it. They can’t blame anyone else.

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Actaully, the Romney/Obama match will take place this November 6th. I wouldn’t call that pie in the sky.

talkingpoints on April 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM

That’s because you don’t see that Obama and Romney are both full of the same Hope and Change BS.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

s/b thugs/goons

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2012 at 3:16 PM

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM

not being from Ohio – what happened … didn’t you guys
get public unions under control? I thought you had
the recall failed – right ….

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Yep, the ‘harlots’ blamed their governor and voted against him.

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Yep, the ‘harlots’ blamed their governor and voted against him.

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM

actions have consequences ….. hope they enjoy em … they can look
to WI where they saved a ton of money … closed a budget gap w/o
raising taxes …

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I love Rummy.

And appreciate your thoughts.

That is one other thing about the pseudo conservatives that irritates me: ~ “Let’s elect Romney, and hold his feet to the fire to make him not go as lefty as he has been in the past’.

Fine. Tell me how to do that effectively, (especially to a guy that doesn’t need the job, nor any need to be re-elected… It isn’t like he has any particular political or philosophical agenda to advance.) and I’ll give it a try.

Perhaps a letter writing campaign? Yeah, that’ll work (rolleyes) Just don’t word those letters too harshly, or you will get a visit from the Secret Service. (I’m going to not make my usual cheap snark here in reference to recent bad behavior)

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Reminds me of Starnesville.

On so many levels.

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Do yo have ANYONE ELSE in mind, anyone – Bueller ?

Exactly.

FlaMurph on April 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM

How is working with Obama in the last 3 1/2 years been for you?

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Perhaps a slight clarification to my “rule”. ;-)
I was talking mainly from the point of the Primary process.

The main idea being that it is a mistake to an ally (Romney) for our actual foe (Obama).

RightWay79 on April 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

There isn’t away …. it appears to be 2 choices …

Obama – quick decent – hard crash …. blood and bodies in
the street … Greece style riots ….

Romney – slower decent … if spending can be brought under control
possible turn around … if Romney acts like the progressive he calls
himself … slower decent and fewer riots … less bloodshed …

me … I wanted Sara … then Perry … then pretty much freefall .. just checking
out who was left … now … I am buying ammo – food – medical supplies ..
and hoping for the best …

if it goes hard crash … it will be ugly … but then building can get underway
and we can learn for our errors …

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM

FlaMurph on April 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM

what is your problem ?? I won’t lick Mittens boots ?
get over yourself …

you can get all crazy about your “idol” all you want
but don’t get stupid on me because I won’t

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM

anyway kids – it has been fun but I have grass to cut …
gonna rain tomorrow … and I have to go to the range for quals …

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM

RightWay79 on April 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM

That assumes that we can actually consider Romney to be an ally.

Which I can’t. Personally, I’d rather face a declared enemy over sharing the foxhole with a guy who has a long history of changing sides whenever he finds it convenient.

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM

It is not decent, or so it appears
From Mitt to dissent brings you smears
English is tough
Life is rough
Descent means to drop or your heirs

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM

That assumes that we can actually consider Romney to be an ally.

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM

The country wants a change from Obama’s policies.

So its convenient for Mitt to govern from the Center-Right.

We win, even if he is just a core-less political opportunist. (Which I don’t think he is, but anyway).

RightWay79 on April 25, 2012 at 3:47 PM

That assumes that we can actually consider Romney to be an ally.

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM

“I’d rather have a German division in front of me than a French one to my rear.”

Or something to that effect.

Dunedainn on April 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I have met people who to this day think Carter was a good president. Really. True. I swear.

curved space on April 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I have met people who think Bush was a good President too. They were both horrible.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Hit a soft spot there, ay?

Hey you might want to get that Bush-obsession looked at. Could turn into a clot and work its way out of the skull and down to the heart.

Sigh. Yes, Dubya’s gone. Tsk. But you, at least, can relive those glory years. Lucky. You can go down to the storage bin and break out the ol’ papier mache Bushitler effigy. Sigh. Good times. But be careful on those nights when you’ve quaffed a couple-three too many appletinis. Resist the urge to march around the neighborhood with it.

And if you’re enjoying Carter’s annoying post-presidency, FR, you’ll just love Obama’s. Starting in 2013 and then going on for freakin’ EVerrrrr, we’ll have to see that sorry smug puss in the news. So. Ya got that goin’ for ya.

curved space on April 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Not that I’m bullish on Romney, but Carter saying this gives the squishy liberal “middle” the opportunity to bail on Obama when they close the metaphorical curtain in the voting booth this fall.

One wonders why the Left wants to eliminate secret ballot election for unionizing, and if they succeed, they’ll move to eliminate the secret ballot for the elections that REALLY matter.

Then of course there is the take away that Carter’s endorsement hurts Romney with the Republican base and Tea party independents.

Jurisprudence on April 25, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Comrade Axelrod probably called The Peanut farmer to ask him to help out his socialist buddy The Chosen One. So by sort of endorsing Romney, it accentuates Romney’s 75% liberal viewpoints & could hurt his poll #’s & electability.
Won’t matter to me. I’m voting for Romney. Rather a liberal republicrat than a marxist.

Belle on April 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM

You may not have noticed, but it’s been nothing BUT compromise from the right. When do the leftists have to compromise? With folks like you running the right into the ground, they never have to.

You think this has anything at all to do with FEELINGS? You’re as confused as a leftist. They make that mistake all the time too.

Again, perhaps you didn’t notice but all this is already happening. Was it the result of your precious compromise? Of course it was. You’re blinded by party affiliation. Mitt won’t likely do anything more than slow the descent. If you have ONE SHRED of evidence to the contrary, please feel free to post it here.

You think this is the fault of conservatives? No, it’s the fault of Ohio’s voters refusing to take responsibility for their own affairs and continually voting in leftists. Did those leftists compromise on one damn thing? Of course not. But you think they will this time. Riiiiight.

I’m still a conservative..

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM

No, you’re not. If you were, you wouldn’t have posted one word of that rant.

runawayyyy on April 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Oh, sure, that’s what they said about McCain, too.

It’s going to be about 50/50, with Obama the likely winner.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM

What? Who said that about McCain?

Obama was running against George W. Bush last election. McCain just happened to headline the ticket.

I don’t know anyone who thought McCain would win in a landslide. Everyone knew the Republican brand was garbage due to the mouth-forthing hatred for all things associated with George W. Bush.

So don’t kid yourself.

Obama loses in a landslide. Bank on it.

ButterflyDragon on April 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Jurisprudence on April 25, 2012 at 4:19 PM

If I were a moderate Dem, I’d be less scared of Romney than I would most of the rest of the GOP candidates who ran, and it wouldn’t be because of his political views so much as it would be that I’d sense that Romney wasn’t some kind of intolerant hothead fueled by personal negativity – I see the situation with Jimmy C here as being like us on the Right having the strong preference of working with Joe Lieberman/David Boren/Heath Schuler/Joe Manchin-types vs. Harry Reid/Nancy Pelosi/DWS/Barbara Boxer-types.

Bizarro No. 1 on April 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM

It is not decent, or so it appears
From Mitt to dissent brings you smears
English is tough
Life is rough
Descent means to drop or your heirs

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM

LOL thanks … I went back and reread what I wrote …

it should of course been Descent ….

thanks again for making me smile …. 12 hour shifts and lack of sleep …
and depending on my autocorrect … heh

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 5:07 PM

C’mon, this is blatantly obvious. It’s like Soros saying “I like Mitt Romney!” It’s supposed to anger and demoralize Hot Air types.

Esoteric on April 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

The HA Mittbot crew are doing that pretty well on their own, with their constant personal attacks and shrieks of “MOBY!!!!!” Pretty soon the place will be down to a 20-member ‘bot echo chamber.

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Some of us have been in one too many election cycles where the candidate is shoved down our throats. It will happen again and again until people decide they are not going to take it anymore. I am at this point. I’ll be working for our candidates down ticket.
There is no beef from me about anyone else’s vote. Just leave my tired old azz alone.
Let the namecalling commence.

katy the mean old lady on April 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Let the namecalling commence.

katy the mean old lady on April 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

“STINKING MOBY IN MOM’S BASEMENT!!!!!! KILL, KILL, KILLLLLLLL!!!!!!”

Believe me, I know how you feel.

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM

If he is, I ain’t.

michaelo on April 25, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Let the namecalling commence.

katy the mean old lady on April 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I am at the point of not commenting anymore .. at this point no one is changing anyones mind … it is a waste of pixels …..

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM

How much is the DNC paying you and Katy to sow seeds of discord?

Bradky on April 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Obama loses in a landslide. Bank on it.

ButterflyDragon on April 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Don’t laugh, folks, or you’re a Moby.

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM

How much is the DNC paying you and Katy to sow seeds of discord?

Bradky on April 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Not as much as I’m worth, baby.

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 5:52 PM

what is your problem ?? I won’t lick Mittens boots ?
get over yourself …

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Its not a problem- its dismay-disbelief.
No one is licking Super Mitt’s boots. No one is being asked to. The primary is OVER – Just stop crapping on the Mittster already, and put your energy into crapping on Obummer.

What do you get out of continually trashing the ONLY way of getting rid of the communist in the WH ?

Its time to Focus.

FlaMurph on April 25, 2012 at 5:53 PM

No one is licking Super Mitt’s boots. No one is being asked to.

FlaMurph on April 25, 2012 at 5:53 PM

LOL…

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM

FlaMurph on April 25, 2012 at 5:53 PM

You mean the way PDSers put all their energies into attacking Obama over the past 3 years, and not, say, Palin? That way?

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM

FlaMurph on April 25, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Or better yet, Christine O’Donnell. Remember that?

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM

all Jimmah’s quasi endorsement does is give Romney haters, with their ceaseless blather, a shot in the arm. Other than that, it’s a non sequitur that Jimmah’s comfort level means that he has even the remotest similarity or connection to Romney, but If it ok’s Libs to vote for Romney, fine. Good for our side. Now, where’s angryed?

Slainte on April 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Bradky on April 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM

This…. from someone known for years as one of the biggest Moby’s here.

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Project much?

Dunedainn on April 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM

really?

I considered calling you what that deserved,.. but I’m done talking to morons..

I was in the cold war, I know what a communist is, you?.. you wouldn’t a real communist if he dated your daughter.

You people are so fringe by now..

Supporting the nominee may piss you hide the caves types off, but it’s going to happen.. It’s already starting to appeal more than he has before, that you die hards want to beat up a diabled guy for saying grow up.. tells me I was right about you folks..

children ranting at the choices made by others..

stay home and cry, You number far less than you think, all the rank and file conservatives are doing the right thing. Because offline, I don’t know anyone sitting this out.

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Correction, Obama +8 in National Journal, +6 Gallup and tied in the Fox poll.

Because offline, I don’t know anyone sitting this out.

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Offline, I haven’t met one single Romney fan. Not one. And I live in a red state. Haven’t even seen Romney’s name on any car bumpers.

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM

if an idea or plan is pie in the sky, it seems good but is not likely to be achieved- Those plans of his to set up his own business are just pie in the sky.

talkingpoints on April 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

The top line is the definition of pie in the sky I’ve always used and was on freedictionary.com. I gotta say the Romney Obama match up looks pretty inevitable to me-not pie in the sky. Did you have a different definition?

talkingpoints on April 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Good for our side. Now, where’s angryed?

Slainte on April 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM

He’s already been here and urinated on the floor.. you know he wouldn’t miss this thread.. I normally post at night, folks then know me, know I’m serious in what I type..

First rule in dealing with spoiled mindless children seems to be,.. don’t tell em to grow up.. they stampede..

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I could list many other reasons I feel Romney would be better. I kept it to one for simplicity. I’m still waiting for a single superior quality of Obama.

talkingpoints on April 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM
..better golfer than Romney?

The War Planner on April 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Does Romney golf? I dunno. But that’s a great idea-let’s vote for the best golfer running-or the best dancer, or the one that looks the most cool behind the podium. We wouldn’t want to pick someone who could actually turn around a failing business unless they were the purest of pure conservatives. It would be much better to cast our lot behind Obama as he borrows another $10,000,000,000,000 and pursues his inane and ruinous energy policies-at least that way we won’t taint the pristine conservative brand.

talkingpoints on April 25, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Mitt Romney as president would be the competent liberal that the Democrats thought they were getting in 2008.

There is really no downside for the left if Romney wins…and no upside for the right.

18-1 on April 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM

If you’re done talking to morons, then why do you continue talking to yourself? Because that’s pretty much all you’re doing here.

Dunedainn on April 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Because offline, I don’t know anyone sitting this out.

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Offline, I could give a wooden nickel what you want.

Dunedainn on April 25, 2012 at 6:37 PM

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM

That’s why I haven’t told you ;)

Dunedainn on April 25, 2012 at 6:39 PM

18-1 on April 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Agree.

Norwegian on April 25, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I see the local Mittler Youth Brigade is out in more than full strength today. Called in the DKos and LGF branches, did we?

Dunedainn on April 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM

So speaks another clueless one insisting he knows something about communism. Sigh… So many self appointed legends in their minds, most of them Romney bots who wouldn’t know truth when it is plastered in front of their faces. Ability to think logically and analyze factual data is not a trait Romney bots EVER display.

Please educate us about communism, we have no idea about it. You were in a cold war? Wow, color me impressed, but what exactly does it mean? A video game, perhaps?

riddick on April 25, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Somebody already mentioned that many of us who have been voting GOP have been compromising over and over and over, only to watch the country move left anyway. We speak up and say that a Romney nomination is the point where the GOP jumps the shark for us at last, and we get called crybabies. Or traitors. Or narcissists who are prepared to destroy America just to make a point!!! LOL. Well, suit yourselves. If you think Romney is the next Reagan, go for it — campaign for him, put up signs for him, vote for him. But don’t blame us for finally deciding we’re sick of being taken advantage of. Blame the GOP who apparently saw the Obama administration as an opportunity to push somebody who would be unacceptable if not for the “anybody but Obama” thing.

And learn to deal with the fact that the “anybody but Obama” thing isn’t going to motivate everybody. Nor do all of us really believe that Obama, having failed to destroy America in his first term, will succeed in a second term. Nor do all of us really believe that Romney, who apparently could not accomplish much as governor because of the overwhelming Democratic presence in the state he chose to run for governor in, has had a change of political heart at age 60 and will seriously push Congress to rein in the spending.

Aitch748 on April 25, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Carter: What can I say today that will throw these right wingers into a tizzy?

Axelrod: Say you’d be comfortable with Romney as President.

Basilsbest on April 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Looking at RCP’s front page, it would appear Obama’s up by 8 in both National Journal and Gallup polls.ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM

You are shamelessly dishonest. RCP shows that the more reliable Rasmussen has Mitt up by 5.

Basilsbest on April 25, 2012 at 7:59 PM

George Soros has also said that he would be comfortable with a Romney Presidency.

That George Soros and Jimmy Carter are saying they would be comfortable with a Romney Presidency should tell you something. If Romney wins the Presidency, conservatives are not going to be happy with a Romney Administration.

Phil Byler on April 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Basilsbest on April 25, 2012 at 7:59 PM

The only “dishonest” things were the figures. Gallup has Obama +6, not +8. Rasmussen wasn’t quite as reliable in 2010.

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Aitch748 on April 25, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Excellent comment. Right on target. Join us in the Moby Lounge.

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Phil Byler on April 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Because we can trust Soros and Carter. Good grief. And you’re a lawyer?

Basilsbest on April 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM

The War Planner on April 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM

This pretty much describes where I am.

If Romney keeps in line with the speech he gave last night, he might not be a disaster in office. Either which way, booting Obama out first and foremost is the top priority. We can deal with Romney in 2016 if he goes left on us in office.

karenhasfreedom on April 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Are Democrat voters demoralized? I think Jimmy Cater would be an expert on demoralized democrat voters…..just sayin.

Dr Evil on April 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Carter: What can I say today that will throw these right wingers into a tizzy?

Axelrod: Say you’d be comfortable with Romney as President.

Basilsbest on April 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM

We can deal with Romney in 2016 if he goes left on us in office.

karenhasfreedom on April 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM

No you can’t. It’d be the same song and dance, the same bullying, the same “blackmail”, the same get-in-line-and-shut-up, the same disngenuous “you want to help the COMMUNISTS????!!!!???????”. But that’s academic anyway.

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I think someone pointed it out before, but it’s funny how often Mittbots use “conservative” and “right wingers” as slurs. I think that was Buckshot Bill who typed that. If so, h/t. ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM

You and Buckshot Bill are cheering for Obama. You are not conservatives or right wingers. You and Buckshot continue to attack Mitt even after he’s won the nomination. You are a dishonest person who cites the left wing push polls which have Obama ahead and ignore the reliable Rasmussen who has Mitt ahead.

Conservatives want to remove Obama. You don’t. You are not a conservative, or a right winger for that matter.

Basilsbest on April 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM

mark81150 on April 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Give it a rest already. Compromise is what got us in this mess in the first place. Jimmy Freaking Carter is okay with this guy. That should tell you something. Cripes.

chewmeister on April 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM

ddrintn on April 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM

karenhasfreedom on April 25, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Yes we can. I believe Palin would primary him. She knows we can’t go further left. She wants obama out of office first and foremost. If Romney gets stupid in office, he will pay the price by a primary fight in 2016. karenhasfreedom on April 25, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Romney is the antithesis of stupid. He wants to be a successful President. He will govern as conservatively as he can. You realize America needs conservative solutions. Do you think you are smarter than someone who amassed a fortune using nothing but his education and brains?

Basilsbest on April 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Thanks AP. Nominate a candidate that Jimmah Carter would endorse. Can we say : ‘I told you so’. oh well there’s always 2016 – maybe the mainline repubs would learn their lesson by then – wanna bet? Oh but it’s so important to sell our soul for the independents! Thanks AP – you must be so proud.

Fuquay Steve on April 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM

oh well there’s always 2016
Fuquay Steve on April 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM

if he loses maybe Mittens will run AGAIN and we
can listen to mittwitts spin his electability again/

:D

conservative tarheel on April 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM

….. So many self appointed legends in their minds, most of them Romney bots who wouldn’t know truth when it is plastered in front of their faces….
riddick on April 25, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Hey, Wait just a minute.

;-)

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM

…..a Romney nomination is the point where the GOP jumps the shark for us at last……
Aitch748 on April 25, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Heh, that would have been McCain.

Nominating Romney is more like having Potsie take over as the lead character.

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM

karenhasfreedom on April 25, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Her star has fallen and there won’t be a 2016. New to political history are you? Or maybe listening to eeyores Legend and ddrintn about how their two votes will overturn an election?

Bradky on April 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Legend and ddrintn about how their two votes will overturn an election?
Bradky on April 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Once again you prove your idiocy and your absolute ignorance about me,

(not that I’d expect you to know anything, despite my long history here).

I know that my vote (or rather lack of it) is absolutely meaningless.

The lemmings will charge full speed off the cliff for 0bama or at 85% full speed with with Romney…. Without me.

I’ll vote for the Conservative in my Congressional and downticket races, and while tiny, my vote and money may make some difference.

LegendHasIt on April 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Basilsbest on April 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Not a scrap of evidence for any of this. Romney has never been conservative before. You can already see in this campaign that he keeps trying to move to the left so Obama can’t accuse him of being conservative.

And yet somehow you want to sell us the notion that Romney will ignore conservatives all during the campaign, but pivot to BE a conservative as soon as he’s inaugurated.

That’s just stupid on stilts.

There’s only one way we’re going to have a conservative government, and that is to vote in a conservative Congress so neither a President Romney nor a President Obama can do too much damage.

And of those two scenarios, the conservative Congress would be much more conservative with a Democratic president.

There Goes The Neighborhood on April 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM

No great gift of prophecy or prevision was required to see that a guy like Carter would like a guy like Romney. This is why I feel my fellow GOPers let us all down this election cycle.

bobcalco on April 26, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Carter: I’m comfortable with a Romney win

My God, has there ever been a more powerful endorsement?

V7_Sport on April 26, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Another Obama term means the death of the U.S. as we have known it.
I liked Palin, but that obviously ain’t happening.
Romney’s no Reagan, but he’s a helluva lot better than Obama.
And I’m not falling for the left’s latest scheme and wasting my vote on any third party candidate, even if I like them.
I will enthusiastically go out and vote for Romney.
And, in fact, I suspect that he will be a decent president. Who wouldn’t be compared to the wretched, lying, traitorous, leftist turd that we have in office now?

justltl on April 26, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Hey Jimmy, no s*#t you would like him; Hes a liberal. But try and convince these fake a** conservatives of that…They are being told by their brainwashers (Fox News and talk radio) that he is the next Ronald Reagan. George Soros already told them there is no difference between Romney and Obama and they didn’t blink.

dom89031 on April 26, 2012 at 3:43 AM

BTW, if Romney were smart, he would pick Ron Paul as his vice presidential candidate.
And when he wins:

Palin- Energy Secretary
Alan West- Secretary of Defense
Paul Ryan- Secretary of the Treasury
Marco Rubio for whatever
Newt Gingrich for press secretary with a special duty to out the leftist media and reveal it for the destructive force that it’s been for the last 50 years.

justltl on April 26, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Ha! Where was this before the primaries started?

Mulligan?!

insidiator on April 26, 2012 at 8:11 AM

“I support you,” said the fox to the hen…or in Carter’s case, the scorpion to the millipede.

Don L on April 26, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Basilsbest on April 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM

The problem with so many (not all) fiscal conservatives is that they always equate amassing a treasure with wisdom. Note* (the greatest despots in history were among the most brilliant men ever–whoopee doo!

Intelligence without God and strong moral character and a resolve to solid principle is so much like a runaway horse without a driver.

Don L on April 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Carter (on multiple occasions) , Bill Clinton and other demo-libs have all but endorsed Romney over the last year or so – because Romney is very liberal – he is one of their own.

Pork-Chop on April 26, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Even Jimmy Carter feels the need for a national shower in November….can stand wearing this scum for just so long….. :(

BigSven on April 26, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Spray Carter down with Prep H. Carter and McCain make up the national bi-partisan hemmorhoid.

They keep clinging on… will they ever go away?

Michael73501 on April 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Birds of a feather.
The MittBots must be salivating at the praises from “The Man From Plains”.
LMAO
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Carter: I’m comfortable with a Romney win

Of course he is – Willard is a closeted socialist … a “British Conservative Party” fanboi.

HondaV65 on April 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Another Obama term means the death of the U.S. as we have known it.

justltl on April 26, 2012 at 3:40 AM

LOL – a WILLARD term means the death of the U.S. too!

Vote for the better looking socialist (ogabe), I say – then go home and stock can goods.

HondaV65 on April 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Basilsbest on April 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I’ve noticed that the screeching ABRers think they’re smarter and morally superior to those of us who, unlike them, don’t have double-standards about criticizing winners of GOP primaries, and that says enough about who they are as people to know that they don’t deserve to be taken seriously. :)

Bizarro No. 1 on April 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM

It was the MSNBC news babe who asked “would you be comfortable with Romney”. Then Carter answered that he would.

So, it was almost if not quite the case that she was putting that word in Carter’s mouth. I doubt he would have said it if she had not coaxed it out of him.

Final point: does it really matter what Jimmy Carter thinks about any subject?

J Baustian on April 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM