Video: Bold new critic of Obama’s “tax the rich” nonsense emerges on national scene

posted at 8:08 pm on April 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

First Jon Lovitz, now Tony Robbins. Who’s the next minor celebrity to see the light on taxes? If anyone starts a pool in the comments, put me down for 10 bucks on the guy who plays Kevin on “The Office.” I’ve just got a feeling.

This is actually a nifty little vid, perfect viewing for a slow news night. If it looks familiar, it should: Robbins is using this post by Iowahawk — to whom he gives full credit — as a springboard for his demonstration. It’s a simple yet vivid walkthrough of why a serious deficit reduction program doesn’t start with taxing the rich. There just aren’t enough of them to go around and, for all the heavy breathing about “the one percent,” they don’t have nearly enough wealth between them to get us into the black. Which is why, of course, even Obama has taken care to acknowledge in each of his thousand speeches about the Buffett Rule that a surtax on millionaires won’t get us out of the hole. He wants low-information voters to think that it will — that’s why he devotes so much time to talking about a dumb gimmick — but the this-won’t-do-much-to-solve-any-serious-problem disclaimer is usually duly buried somewhere in the transcript, hopefully to be overlooked by the audience as they focus on “fairness” instead. To see just how unserious it is, click play.

Update: I’d totally forgotten, but commenters remind me that Bill Whittle did a variation of this same video more than a year before Robbins got to it.

Comments

20 minutes!? Bookmark for later.

El_Terrible on April 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Taxing the rich isn’t about solving problems, it’s about the petulant left’s obsession with ‘fairness’.

What is fairness?

Whatever the petulant left needs it to be to advance their anti-liberty and anti-productivity agenda.

tom daschle concerned on April 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Nice musical opener,

All the Beautiful People!

canopfor on April 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM

What’s yours is mine!…and No One touches my stuff!

KOOLAID2 on April 24, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Shinning the Light of Truth!!

canopfor on April 24, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Dude?

Look, I sent this tip to Hotair last night and it was ignored: There’s an excellent, viral video from Free Market America that sums up the leftists very well in just over 4 minutes; Malkin has highlighted it, as has Glenn Reynolds, and Glenn Beck. It’s one of the best I’ve seen. Their Web site is back up now, and it can be seen right on the front page. Otherwise, search for “If I Wanted America To Fail” on Youtube, or of course check Malkin’s site or Reynolds’ Instapundit page. Yes, word is catching on; the leftists are being exposed…. So, post this everywhere!

Allendundit on April 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I got my money on one of the Corey’s. Corey Feldman? I got my money on him doing an epic anti-Obama rant.

shannon76 on April 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM

“Taxing the rich” is Obama’s vengeance campaign. He really despises private property when it belongs to anyone but him and wife or otherwise, people who submit to his demands to use what they have without too much resistance to his needs.

Obama doesn’t like the U.S.A. Thus, his obsession with “change”: from one thing into another.

Lourdes on April 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I watched this a couple of weeks ago. It is very good and really lays it out in a manner anyone but a Lib could understand. His use of the time period of “seconds” to show the difference between a million, billion and trillion is incredible. He clearly shows that we’re talking “about real money” here.

ljmesq on April 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM

We need a female “star” to come out against Barky. I’ll place my bets on…

Melissa Gilbert
Charlene Tilton
Jeanne Cooper
Tori Spelling

SouthernGent on April 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I’m going with the ShamWow guy.

But in all seriousness, when Obama lost Robin Leach, he lost the battle for minor celebs. If anybody epitomizes lifestyles of the rich and famous it is the Obama’s and the way they think nothing of blowing trough tax dollars on their personal entertainment and vacations.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM

$10 says it’s Toby from “The Office”.

Pasalubong on April 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM

What is fairness?

tom daschle concerned on April 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM

+1,000,000

This should be on a bumper sticker somewhere.

PatriotGal2257 on April 24, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Is he going to credit Bill Whittle?

AndrewsDad on April 24, 2012 at 8:20 PM

And Robbins’ video is great.

Plus, he looks a lot better now with his grizzled-look than he did a decade or two ago with his boy-pompadour.

Lourdes on April 24, 2012 at 8:21 PM

ljmesq on April 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM

It isn’t the content, it is the fact it is nearly 20 minutes long. No lib has that kind of attention span including the jug-eared idiot who expects to have another four years in office based on a faux war on women, a 1983 vacation, and the dissing of cookies available in Pittsburgh.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Whoops! My apologies: I’ve just seen the “If I Wanted America To Fail” video was posted on April 22nd. I did check…and I don’t know how I missed it. :(

Anyway, it’s still highly recommended, and thanks to Hotair for posting it so long ago!

Allendundit on April 24, 2012 at 8:23 PM

This is like an exact replica of what Bill Whittle already did.

WHITTLE

Metro on April 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I would pay to see Charlie Sheen ranting on what a worthless b@st@rd Obama turned out to be.

WINNING!!!

Hear that Charlie? Cash Money!!!

Roy Rogers on April 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

shannon76 on April 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM

The other one’s no longer with us, so he would only vote for Obama.

22044 on April 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

$10 says it’s Toby from “The Office”.

Pasalubong on April 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Kevin would take these bets. Along with the longstanding wager that John Cougar Mellencamp will win an Oscar…

Heck with it. I’ll throw $10 on David Hyde Pierce. Not worried too much about establishing his name further, but worried probably on keeping his Frasier money. The conservative-leaning stuff (at least fiscally) he heard from Kelsey Grammer should be sinking in any time now.

Gingotts on April 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM

“He [Obama] wants low-information voters to think that it will…”

Low-information voters?

In my day we called them stupid.

And they will vote for Obama…no matter what..for the simple reason that they are all tied hoof and tail to the largesse of “free” gubmint money…actually believe they “deserve” it…no matter that they are taking stealing from others who earned it.

No, stupid may not be the right word for them.

Malevolent..that’s more appropriate, just malevolent as the guy they elected in 2008.

Yeah, malevolent, indeed.

coldwarrior on April 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

A 19 minute Political Add…Good God! After 2 minutes (and without at least a floozie or so to keep ones attention) the point is lost.

Why do video folk believe a 1 minute message needs 20 minutes to work?

JIMV on April 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Whoa, Tony Fu*cking Robbins??? We got this thing.

Towash on April 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I had it on at work and its pretty good. But I agree that no liberal is going to watch it. Those who support the Occupy movement believe they are right no matter what facts there are, and they are not interested in any facts. They just want the fruits of your labors to be redistributed. Frankly, the majority of the people I know who support Obama’s redistribution are losers who are unsuccessful in life because of bad life choices. The one person I know who is moderately successful is a university professor who went to Harvard. But of course he looks like a fool the more he supports Obama.

redeye on April 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

$10 says it’s Toby from “The Office”.

Pasalubong on April 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM

FALSE!

Shrute is the small business man with ambition and farm income.

pedestrian on April 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

0bama lies, he lies all the time.

Occasionally he will also eat dog.

jukin3 on April 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

The Tribute money seems secure.

BL@KBIRD on April 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM

0bama lies, he lies all the time.

Occasionally he will also eat dog.

jukin3 on April 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Don’t feel superior. We’ll all be eating dogs pretty soon.

RBMN on April 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Bill Whittle did something like this based on Iowahawk ‘s article

But hopefully Tony Robbins video goes more viral.

Maybe if Lady Gaga did a video like this it would go mega viral?

gumble on April 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

And I think Iowahawk should have his own internet. Iowanethawk or something. In his own class, his own purview, sorta’ hovering in some super terrestial twilight.

Lourdes on April 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Only if Don Knotts were still alive. Then we would see a real smack down.

vinceautmorire on April 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Tony Robbins is a babbling booby

Kini on April 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Whoa, Tony Fu*cking Robbins??? We got this thing.
Towash on April 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Yup, it’s hard to top TR when it comes to communicating ideas with “passion” (overused buzz-term, but really fits this time).

whatcat on April 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

One of my favorite Iowahawk columns.

talkingpoints on April 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM

This seems somehow familiar …

Hot Air March 31, 2011

EAT THE RICH! — YouTube

jix on April 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM

A 19 minute Political Add…Good God!
JIMV on April 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM

It’s not a political ad.

whatcat on April 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I think if Adele were an American, she would be on our side, too. She was complaining about paying too much taxes a few months ago.

Blake on April 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Tax the Rich … and start watching offshore pro-sports

J_Crater on April 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Here’s a thought! How about we remove all the regulations that Obama has imposed on industry so that they can create products that people will actually buy, so the industries can grow and create jobs. How about we start using Social security as the supplement that it was originally suppose to be and not a free paycheck. How about we get rid of Medicare and let people purchase an insurance plan that fits their needs. Entitlements is what takes up 2/3 of our spending and they keep adding on more benefits. The the libs blame the military industrial complex….

Kini on April 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

put me down for 10 bucks on the guy who plays Kevin on “The Office.”

He did go to SMU, which is quite a conservative university (And one whose College Republican’s club I am proud to I lead).

vegconservative on April 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

And where does Perkins get off calling IowaHawks post inflammatory?
Have you read any lefty blogs lately?

Kini on April 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Penn and Teller already did this exercise in their BS show a year or 2 ago – should what taxing the rich would actually do for us.

dentarthurdent on April 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Man, that is one creepy dude.

logis on April 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I got my money on one of the Corey’s. Corey Feldman?

shannon76 on April 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM

It would have to be. The other Corey (Haim) assumed room temperature 2 yrs ago.

cableguy615 on April 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM

WINNING!!!

Hear that Charlie? Cash Money!!!

Roy Rogers on April 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Charlie and Barry could get together and talk about the good lines, times.

Rovin on April 24, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Don’t just tax them. Take their wealth and by force if you have to.

CW on April 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Charlie and Barry could get together and talk about the good lines, times.

Rovin on April 24, 2012 at 9:04 PM

…wolf blood and dog blood?

KOOLAID2 on April 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM

ITguy had some very eye-opening comments about deficits on the thread:

BPinNC on April 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM

hmmmmm…well maybe the reason that conservatives are so inflammatory is that they can do the Math. in fact Tony looked a little inflammatory himself there at the end

remember what he said….Vote….ABO

r keller on April 24, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Bill Whittle gave us the same demonstration in half the time, without going for the “I’m not going to use Iowahawk’s inflammatory language even though he’s totally right” schtick. A little late for the dance, aren’t we, Robbins?

manwithblackhat on April 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Dear Matt Damon:

Time to whine again.

Signed,

Concerned Americans.

ProudPalinFan on April 24, 2012 at 9:24 PM

You know how Obama could cut over $1 Trillion Per Year from his annual budget deficits?

Return to the average levels of deficit spending that we had from FY 2002-2007 under Bush and the Republican majority Congress.

BPinNC on April 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Tony Robbins! Banana hands! – Shallow Hal

JAM on April 24, 2012 at 9:35 PM

The f word (fair) is so vile that it is forbidden for anyone to say it in front if my 5 month old. I hate that word. Nothing is “fair” get used to it and use “unfairness” to drive your self to get better.

traye on April 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM

dentarthurdent on April 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Keep putting different versions of the same message out there until it sticks.

redridinghood on April 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

No way should taxes be raised until the spending addicts can prove via 3 budget cycles that they are off the drug.

Ain’t gonna happen.

rickyricardo on April 24, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Wow. Now why don’t we hear this kind of “in your face” facts from any of the republican presidential candidates. Romney needs to learn how to use these common sense visuals to explain why Obama is just using demagogy against the rich instead of addressing the issue.

neal64ss on April 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Conservatives inflammatory? Versus more ‘independent’ or ‘liberals’?

Is Tony boy trying to say chris mathews isn’t inflammatory in his farked up rhetoric?

Really Tony. Good vid and explanation, but come on.

Wolfmoon on April 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I know liberals and independents who would lap up what Robbins has to say, no matter how long it takes him to say it. Jack Black likes the guy. I know from having watched it that Bill Whittle was one of the first to do one of these years ago, but let’s face it – the idea that a liberal or even an independent would voluntarily watch and listening to Bill Whittle is akin to the idea that a conservative would voluntarily watch any of Michael Moore’s movies.

We need more guys like Jon Lovitz coming out and saying what he said. This is really getting entertaining.

kscheuller on April 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Tony Robbins is a babbling booby

Kini on April 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

10-4

Bill Whittle did it so much better and in half the time. Tell me Robbins didn’t almost do a verbatium audio? And Iowahawk is a “inflamatory conservatie”???????

WTF Robbins. Where the hellyou been these last 10 in Demon-crat sound bites??????? You arsehole.

auspatriotman on April 24, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Is there an edited version? Waaaay to long but I liked being reminded of Iowahawk’s original.

Buy Danish on April 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I am surprised that Tony Robbins essentially ripped-off Bill Whittle for the second half of this video. However, Robbins’ rhetoric isn’t as snarky as Whittle’s. An open-minded liberal wouldn’t be put-off by Robbins. The message would have a better chance of taking root.

Mallard T. Drake on April 24, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Robbins totally rips off Whittle and takes more than twice the time doing it. Still, he’ll reach people Bill didn’t reach so I guess that’s the silver lining.

CliffHanger on April 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I have no idea who this guy is, but if he quotes Iowahawk he can’t be all bad. :)

Bob's Kid on April 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Impressive video. Seen a lot of Robbins’ infomercials, but he outdid himself here. He’s a genius, particularly in how he sells it to the libs in their own language in this instance. He’s got, and I know I’ll get blasted for this, that Reagan thing, a very sharp knife with a smile on its tip.

TXUS on April 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Whittle did it better in less time with easier ways to follow.

Jack Deth on April 24, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Checked this out about three weeks ago. Must be a slow day at Hot Air.

schmuck281 on April 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM

AP, the self-proclaimed rino needs the validation from an independent. ;’)

kscheuller on April 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM

What’s yours is mine!…and No One touches my stuff!

Lighten up Francis!

(For those that don’t get that, its a STRIPES reference)

reddevil on April 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Robbins totally ripped off Bill Whittle and didn’t credit him at all. But as others have pointed out, this will reach folks that Iowahawk and Bill didn’t or couldn’t, so I guess I can forgive him.

I do grow wearily annoyed at the standard, weaselly, disclaimer that seems to preface all comments by libertarians and independents, proclaiming themselves as such before opining, as if that makes them more objective and analytical (than say a pure conservative).

As I often retort: Liberals confuse being close-minded for being principled. There is a difference. ;-)

jcmorris on April 25, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Just remember that “taxing the rich” with the Buffet Rule will not bring in enough money to pay for Michelle’s vacations.

{^_^}

herself on April 25, 2012 at 5:22 AM

We do need every ally we can get, especially if they come with an attentive audience pre-programmed to accept what they say. Sound like a leftist tactic? Remember, the agressor sets the rules.

swinia sutki on April 25, 2012 at 5:55 AM

My biggest shock is that Tony Robbins stumbled upon Iowahawk in the first place. The blogosphere is having a bigger impact than even I suspected. That’s a good thing!!!

dddave on April 25, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Historically…….in the Lefts search for “fairness”……..all we ever get are more Stalins, Mao or Castro’s along with their henchmen like Che’ or New Black Panthers to enforce “fairness”…

…or……we get Greecian, Detroit or Zimbaubwae economics…..

…..in the USA, we might well get both.

sbark on April 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Tony Robbins’ circus-tall stature and the way his face looks in the YouTube freeze-frame makes me think we need to get Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones out here.

Crusty on April 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM

What is fairness?

tom daschle concerned on April 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Socialists use this tactic frequently to achieve their goals.

Great video, if a little long. The people that need to watch it won’t.

dogsoldier on April 25, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Anyone else think of Jack Black calling him banana hands in Shallow Hal everytime they see him?

jrfromdallas on April 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Boy, lots of people who voted for Obama are now having an epiphany…I remember about ‘whose ox is being gored?”.

dahni on April 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM

manwithblackhat on April 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I’m going to cut Robbins some slack here, either he is a closeted conservative or going through a transition, but he has to be careful not to look too political because of how batshit insane the left will go if they think he’s trying to hurt Obama. He avoided rhetorical bombs, partisan language and fully credited Iowahawk while plugging his blog, but distanced himself from anything else Iowahawk might have written that could be seen as “inflammatory”. Robbins will most likely find out that his caution won’t matter, he’ll still be labeled a racist, but that is part of the learning process.

And as much as I appreciate Bill Whittle’s work, it’s always nice to have another voice in this particular chorus, especially when Robbins does have a much bigger name than Whittle.

Daemonocracy on April 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM

low-information voters

buried somewhere in the transcript

Love your phraseology, Allah. This is my single biggest gripe with liberalism–and the root of its destructiveness: it intentionally keeps people stupid.

By its nature, it appeals to the Lowest Common Denominator among us, then attempts to make it the Greatest Common Factor. And the politicians who grow beyond it still use it to manipulate the stupid into being selfish.

The Great Panderer has been a miserable failure, but the intellectually-deprived don’t know that.

rwenger43 on April 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I watched the video and the 20 min just flew by. If someone is interested in this subject, I don’t see this being too long.

And regardless of the fact that Bill Whittle and Penn & Teller covered this subject before, it never hurts to repeat it.

NapaConservative on April 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Eating the rich tastes like dog.

Heftyjo on April 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Clever, but also badly wrong because he double-counted several times. So taking the money from the richest people and corporations would probably have let the country a few months short in its bill payments.

YiZhangZhe on April 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Maybe after Obama, Reid, and the Dems present a budget that balances all of the federal budget other than the shortfall that would be covered by “taxing the rich” we could talk about it. /s

farsighted on April 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Conservatives inflammatory? Versus more ‘independent’ or ‘liberals’?

Really Tony. Good vid and explanation, but come on.

Wolfmoon on April 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Please understand that Robbins is selling, speaking to Liberals here. That this same message has already been made to the Right isn’t what Robbins is trying to get across nor to whom. He’s speaking to his Liberal followers, who are many.

Once it gets to Robbins “explaining” these truths, reality, to them, then the information (reality about who and what Obama is) has gotten to a point of being acceptable because Robbins is a “guru” to many Leftwingers.

He’s not putting down Iowahawk, he’s speaking about Iowahawk in the context that the Left will accept. And therefore will be more willing to accept the message.

Lourdes on April 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM

NapaConservative on April 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Exactly.

AND, once it’s coming from Robbins, well, it’s reached a higher speed, so to speak. “It” being the message involved.

Lourdes on April 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM