Super Anticlimax Tuesday primaries: NY, CT, RI, PA, DE

posted at 8:41 am on April 24, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Today was supposed to be a big day in the Republican nomination process.  Republicans (and others) go to the polls in five states to make their pick for the GOP presidential nominee — New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, and Delaware — after the race has been all but decided.  The contests put 231 delegates up for grabs in mostly proportional-allocation contest, but with Rick Santorum out of the race, there isn’t much drama left.  Mitt Romney will almost certainly win at least four of the five states, and it’s very likely that he’ll win by a large enough amount to claim all of the delegates in New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island, which have a combined 142 delegates.

The only potential surprise could be Delaware, where Newt Gingrich has concentrated his campaigning efforts.  The state’s small size makes campaigning economical for an organization buried in millions of dollars in debt, and the state’s winner-take-all allocation makes it a prize of at least a little value.  However, its seventeen delegates won’t make a lot of difference in the math, as I explained yesterday, and that presumes that Gingrich can actually win — something he hasn’t managed in seven weeks, not even in the South.  Last night, NBC reported that reality may be dawning on Gingrich, and that a loss in Delaware might convince the former Speaker to pull out:

Newt Gingrich hinted he may withdraw from the presidential race if he has a poor showing in the Delaware primary Tuesday – a state where he has been actively campaigning for several weeks.

“I think we need to take a deep look at what we are doing,” Gingrich told NBC News in an exclusive interview on Monday. “We will be in North Carolina tomorrow night and we will look and see what the results are.”

He acknowledged that he would have to “reassess” his campaign depending on how he fares in Delaware, a winner-take-all state with 17 delegates at stake.

Oddly, though, Gingrich seemed to hedge that statement by saying a close second might be enough to keep going:

“This has been a good opportunity for us, we have been here seeing a lot of people,” Gingrich said. “We have got really positive responses and I would hope we would do well here – either carry it or come very, very close.”

Huh?  What good does a “very, very close” second place do in a winner-take-all state?  That kind of finish in a proportionally-allocated state might produce a tie in delegates, but in this case would be the same as a drubbing in delegate allocation.  Even with the 17 delegates, Gingrich doesn’t have a prayer of stopping Romney before the end of the primaries, but without them he doesn’t have a fig leaf to cover up reality.

The other interesting state today will be Pennsylvania.  Romney had eroded Rick Santorum’s standing in the Keystone State, but never took a clear polling lead.  Everyone assumes Romney will win easily in the state, which elects delegates directly in a primary process, but that assumes the Romney voters will show for the vote.  If Romney doesn’t win a clear victory today, that might prove a little more unsettling than a Gingrich win in Delaware.

Comments

Well I guess we can save a ton of money by canceling the GOP convention.

platypus on April 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Hmm, over a minute, and nobody wants to dump on Gingrich. Doesn’t he deserve at least a good tongue lashing, HotAir style?

Archivarix on April 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Looking forward to my first ever vote in a presidential primary.

Red Cloud on April 24, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Gingrich has spent weeks hammering the fact that he’s staying in all the way to Tampa and how incredulous he is that anyone would suggest otherwise. His famous “maybe I should tattoo it to my forehead” comment, for example.

Although it is clearly hopeless for Gingrich at this point, if he drops out now after beating that drum so loudly and so clearly for so long, he loses whatever shred of credibility he has left. Because either he was lying about staying in all the way to Tampa no matter what, or when he said that he was horribly unrealistic about what staying in meant.

I don’t know how much credibility Gingrich has left with anyone, or what, if any, future he might have in electoral politics. But from my perspective, he has to stay in, even if only technically, or he has shown himself to be completely without credibility.

Shump on April 24, 2012 at 8:49 AM

There’s an interesting US Senate primary in PA today. There will be some turnout and people will check the box for Romney.

The snow in the Western half of the state might be bad news for Tom Smith though.

forest on April 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Pack it in, Newt!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Archivarix on April 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM

HotAir tongue lashings are reserved for relevant candidates.

Face it, Gingrich is not “in it to win it” there will be no sudden spate of buyer’s remorse where the party moves to dump Romney and nominate Gingrich. There will be no brokered convention.

This is all about the $$$. Newt is in debt. He can not afford to get out entirely until the Romney people or party comes forward and offers to help with these debts if he is willing to clear the way for the nominee. His whole goal right now is to be as big a pest as he can be. It is an area that he excels at.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Super Anticlimax Tuesday primaries: NY, CT, RI, PA, DE

Allahpundit, who has the evening chores, hardest hit.

rbj on April 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM

O/T another attack on a white man-horrible!

Warning: Video shows the gentleman’s condition. Dunno if he’ll make it. Not the same as posted in another thread-this was an attack 20/1.

ProudPalinFan on April 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Well I guess we can save a ton of money by canceling the GOP convention.

platypus on April 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM

THREADWINNER.

It’ll be my turn today. Yowza.

ProudPalinFan on April 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Rooting for either Tom Smith or Sam Rohrer for senate in PA. I’m hoping the snow doesn’t deter western PA Republicans because we need ask the help we can get in defeating squishy Joe Sestak supporting Steve Welch.

PennsylvaniaPainTrain on April 24, 2012 at 9:00 AM

platypus on April 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Never fear, Pus. We wouldn’t want to save money.

Long haired country boy on April 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I expect sleet in the morning (nothing yet) and it will go up later in the day. I am in NWPA.

ProudPalinFan on April 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

did I miss Ron Paul dropping out?

DHChron on April 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

And again, the New York vote comes around. And again, I’ll be voting essentially by default.

But this time around, I’ll be a lot happier about it.

KingGold on April 24, 2012 at 9:03 AM

did I miss Ron Paul dropping out?

DHChron on April 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

//Snort

Long haired country boy on April 24, 2012 at 9:03 AM

ProudPalinFan on April 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM

“Now thats justice for Trayvon.”

This is the kind of vigilante “justice” that occurs when you have the President jumping in to a local matter and declaring George Zimmerman guilty of murder because, after all, Trayvon would look like Obama’s son.

The same race baiters, including the bastard on HA (whose name I forget) had better denounce this. If it is wrong for a 17-year-old street thug to be shot when he is attacking a white person; blacks nearly killing a white person is equally wrong and yet the silence from Trayvon’s supporters is deafening.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Well I guess we can save a ton of money by canceling the GOP convention.

platypus on April 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Can we allocate the savings to purchase glasses that can read the handwriting on the wall?

KingGold on April 24, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I pulled the lever for Mitt this morning (well, actually I filled in the little oval) in Western New York.

I was the second person to vote. I imagine turnout will be very light all day!

NRPM on April 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM

did I miss Ron Paul dropping out?

DHChron on April 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

The only thing dropping over there is Paul’s eyebrow.

Bishop on April 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM

ProudPalinFan on April 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM

We can play the link game all day if you want…

libfreeordie on April 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM

PA might prove interesting tonight, but I can’t imagine Santorum voters will be out in force since he’s withdrawn from the race.

And Gingrich is just a sad spectacle at this point.

changer1701 on April 24, 2012 at 9:20 AM

NRPM on April 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM

WNY? Whereabouts?

KingGold on April 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM

There are times I feel the primary process is a sham. California does not hold its primary until June. Given that Mittens is already the nominee, so to speak, is there any point in showing up at the polls (other than for local elections)?

eaglescout_1998 on April 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM

WNY? Whereabouts?

KingGold on April 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Near Buffalo. One of the places that was supposed to get a foot of snow yesterday but got only rain.

NRPM on April 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM

libfreeordie on April 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I grew up a white, right-of-center Jewish girl in Calypso Louie’s territory.
Lefty blacks are the biggest racists and Jew-haters around.
No competition.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2012 at 9:30 AM

he loses whatever shred of credibility he has left.
Shump on April 24, 2012 at 8:49 AM

He kind of lost credibility when he started attacking capitalism, and when he said whoever quotes what I said is a liar and when he attacked Fox News, just to cite a few examples. I don’t think too many people will hold it against him if he drops out.

talkingpoints on April 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Gingrich will stay in as long as there are suckers who will contribute to his campaign scam.

NickDeringer on April 24, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Gingrich is going out a laughing-stock. Enjoy the final throes from this once-proud politician.

TheDriver on April 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

forest on April 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM

In Western PA, we were told to expect 3-4 inches, nothing. Sunny and relatively warm.

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

NRPM on April 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Heh. I’m from West Seneca. We barely got dusted. Mostly slush rain.

KingGold on April 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I’m still voting Santorum.

listens2glenn on April 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I’m still voting Santorum.

listens2glenn on April 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Hi! I’ve been wondering where you’ve been, although I can guess. I’m not voting for Romney today either. At least I don’t think so, since you vote for delegates without knowing who or if they are pledged to anyone in particular.

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM

listens2glenn on April 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Change of residence March 31 – April 1 (the moving STILL ain’t over).

Just got internet service late Sunday.

listens2glenn on April 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

ProudPalinFan on April 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Zimmerman was out on bail yesterday. $150,000 and an ankle bracelet

katy the mean old lady on April 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Title: Super Anticlimax Tuesday primaries: NY, CT, RI, PA, DE

sub-heading: Newt hinting at withdrawal?

both by Ed Morrissey

How did I miss this earlier, when I first read over it?
That’s very “tacky”, Ed.

listens2glenn on April 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I voted for him yesterday here in Indiana. Just seemed like the right thing at that moment.

catwrangler on April 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM

eaglescout_1998 on April 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Depends on what else you would be voting for at the same time.

Frankly, voting GOP in California is as useful as socks on a cat. Primaries are supposed to help in determining a candidate who can carry the nation and there isn’t any way that Romney or any Republican is going to win in California.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Today will give us a good idea which way Santorum voters break – toward Romney, or toward Gingrich.

jya lai on April 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM

O T

ProudPalinFan on April 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM

We can play the link game all day if you want…

libfreeordie on April 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM
If those two links are all you’ve got, you lose.

I don’t believe you can “play this game all day”.

listens2glenn on April 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM

TheDriver on April 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

It’s the small echo of a death rattle.

Slainte on April 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Change of residence March 31 – April 1 (the moving STILL ain’t over).

Just got internet service late Sunday.

listens2glenn on April 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

That was not my guess. Hope you get settled in without too much trouble.

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I’m going to be the nominee!
Newt…Newt…Newt!

KOOLAID2 on April 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Well, now those Secret Service assigned to Newt agents can get back to oogling women.

democratsarefools on April 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM

listens2glenn on April 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

That was not my guess. Hope you get settled in without too much trouble.

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Just a LOT of physical exertion (also a lot of Stink-bugs); OK otherwise.

But now you’ve got my curiosity “up”. : )

listens2glenn on April 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Won’t matter whose voters show up to the polls, the delegates are listed by their name, not by their preference. Voters won’t know from their voting if they are voting for a Santorum delegate or a Romney delegate from looking at the ballot.

crosspatch on April 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM

We can play the link game all day if you want…

libfreeordie on April 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM

By now you’ve probably already realized that this is not a game you can win. Reality is not in your favor.

cicerone on April 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Just a LOT of physical exertion (also a lot of Stink-bugs); OK otherwise.

But now you’ve got my curiosity “up”. : )

listens2glenn on April 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Nothing exciting. I just notice that a lot of people who aren’t rabid Romney supporters don’t bother to comment as much lately. Are we talking live Stinkbugs or dead? I was finding one live one just about every day, but now I’m finding more dead ones.

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM

O T

listens2glenn on April 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Nope, I honestly wish I had been here when Rick bowed-out.
Dead ones, live ones . . . . . . BOTH.

And I learned fast about the dead ones. One of us inadvertently stepped on one in an upstairs bedroom, but didn’t know it until the next day (no one was sleeping in that room, that night).

The next day I open the door and walk in . . . . . . WOW.
Just one dead bug did all that.

listens2glenn on April 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Just came back from voting for Newt in New York. The polls are empty and a good GOTV push would suprise the MSM and Rebulican establishment. Go Newt! Rommey will never be able to win in November as Obama white.

nicknack60 on April 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Analysis: GOP Senate race leaves much to be known before election day

But Chester County businessman Steve Welch and Armstrong County farmer-turned-coal executive Tom Smith spent more time this spring trying to label the other as “more Democratic” than either did to persuade voters they were the right Republican to challenge Casey.

Smith was a registered Democrat for decades, and he repeatedly voted in Democratic primaries. Welch has publicly admitted to voting for Obama in the 2008 primary.

Chris Borick, professor of political science at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, said the race has been invisible to a lot of Pennsylvanians, even the day before voters head to the polls.

“The biggest defining feature to this race probably is the nightly television ads where Smith and Welch spent a lot of time and effort to define which one of them is more Democratic,” Borick said. “It’s probably played a role in the lack of energy and excitement that has been behind this race.”

Those two are the front runners Tuesday for a few million simple reasons. Welch is the endorsed nominee of the state Republican Party, and Smith put more than $6 million of his own personal wealth into the race.

So what we have here are two Democrats, one formerly registered as one and the other in spirit, who are running as Republicans to oppose Bob Casey, who is and has been in Obama’s hip pocket.

Tell me again why there are two main parties, the GOP and the Dems, here? These two should win the Arlen Specter Award for Party Switching hands-down. It says to me that we are not making nearly the inroads we should to find and support true conservative candidates.

PatriotGal2257 on April 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Looking forward to my first ever vote in a presidential primary.

Red Cloud on April 24, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Having this primary season being your first time, is kind of like reaching 21 but all that’s available is generic booze…it’s there, but it’s not that great.

JetBoy on April 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM

The hubby and I were talking again the other day about the primary process and how it should be totally overhauled. I’ve seen it mentioned before — organized by region, Northeast, mid-Atlantic, Southeast, etc. and each region would get to go first every four years.

If the privilege to vote is to be restored to its true seriousness again, this might be one way to do it. As it is now, no wonder it doesn’t mean much when it’s all essentially already decided.

PatriotGal2257 on April 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM

But this time around, I’ll be a lot happier about it.

KingGold on April 24, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Voted 30 minutes ago in the city, (NY09) And was surprised to see so much people voting in a primary in NY that is basically over,

I guess we delivered Wiener’s seat to the republicans, So we are happy to send Obama packing as well,

OrthodoxJew on April 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM

There is no way Newt is dropping out, even if Newt only got a single vote which was Newt voting for Newt. In Newt’s world Newt voting for Newt is worth more than all the other votes for other candidates combined. That is how powerful Newt is to Newt.

TEPJoePa on April 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Hang in there Newt!

(Somebody had to say it…)

TMOverbeck on April 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Geaux Newt!! Come on Delaware!

alwaysfiredup on April 24, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Just voted in NY. Ghost town of a polling place.

mythicknight on April 24, 2012 at 12:49 PM

nicknack60 on April 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM

+1 and thank you for voting!

alwaysfiredup on April 24, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Gingrich is going out a laughing-stock.

TheDriver on April 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

1) I and the rest of his supporters aren’t laughing.

2) Tell that to the folks at NR who published an entire issue devoted to mocking him way back in December. They did their damnedest to make him that laughing stock. We’re not going to forget.

alwaysfiredup on April 24, 2012 at 12:54 PM

only reason we are even voting on may 8th is country commish … and
defense of marriage act ….

conservative tarheel on April 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM

conservative tarheel on April 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Good reasons, nonetheless.

I just got back from my polling place. Light turnout; I think I was #22.

Just found out from talking to a fellow campaigner that there was much more to the Tom Smith and Steve Welch for U.S Senate than met the eye, but still indicated to me that they are in the end RINOs at best. Sure, that’s what we need more of in PA: RINOs./sarc

PatriotGal2257 on April 24, 2012 at 1:48 PM

libfreeordie on April 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM

The lack of moral relativism you are projecting is almost humorous…

In your first link there is no racial description of the perpetrators. I find it hard to believe that if this was a White hates Black issue that the Obama Propaganda machine would fall to mention it.

The second link: 1) hit with a pocket radio, pushed to the ground and frisked and then kneed once to keep you down, by 3 men… without ever needing to go to the hospital is a fair cry from being “surrounded” by 20 men and beaten into critical condition with pipes, brass knuckles, etc. The jewish guys roughing up the black kid was probably still wrong but hardly as violent and “HATE filled”.

RedLizard64 on April 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Hang it there NEWT…if you can win at least try to steer the machine to a more conservative road! When california primaries come you’ll still get my vote as my last protest before switching to Independent, Constitution Party, or new Liberty Tea Party in 2013!

RedLizard64 on April 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Me thinks I will vote for Newt today. I will wait for the kids to come home; they like to “go vote”. The shuttle program, although it was necessary a switch, it could’ve flown a few missions to the ISS.

I am not aiming at the moon (yet); I am aiming at jobs in NASA, what they bring to the table, and thanks to them we have stuff we take for granted, like Velcro.

I am watching Megyn and the sentiments in PA are the same: “Mitt’s gonna win anyway, so I might as well vote for Paul or Newt.”

ProudPalinFan on April 24, 2012 at 2:21 PM

NRPM on April 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Heh. I’m from West Seneca. We barely got dusted. Mostly slush rain.

KingGold on April 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I’m in the Adirondacks, we got nuttin.
I’ll cast my symbolic vote after work, not sure why but I feel obligated.
Politics are dismal in NY but at least my Congressional District is red…for now until they finish redistricting.

Buttercup on April 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM

GO MITT!!

Buttercup on April 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM

RedLizard64 on April 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM

New Liberty Alliance Tea Party is Tea Party Patriots, right?

IndeCon on April 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Gingrich is going out a laughing-stock.

TheDriver on April 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

1)I and the rest of his supporters aren’t laughing.

alwaysfiredup on April 24, 2012 at 12:54 PM

The Newt detractors just don’t get it. They’ve been so unfair in how they’ve crucified, destroyed, palinized him that Newt’s supporters will never forget it. The repub establishment elites/media have lost their tea party/conservative audience because they’ve been outrageously biased in Romney’s favor.

IndeCon on April 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I wonder why there are no national polls showing Romney leading by double digits or even by 5. I guess he cannot make the sale.

DannoJyd on April 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM

IndeCon on April 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Is it your position that Newt should not have been taken to task for the Bain Capital attacks?

alchemist19 on April 24, 2012 at 3:50 PM

York: Romney braces for vast left-wing conspiracy

Conspiracy theorists Unite! [Maybe the Ron Paul supporters will rally to Sketchy now]

DannoJyd on April 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM

There used to be a sign in Newt’s office that had a picture of Winston Churchill. The quote underneath was “In victory, magnaminity”.

The Romney supporters should try and let that bit of wisdom sink in.

Reggie1971 on April 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM

It would be nice if the Newtbots would stop lying to themselves and claiming Newt Gingrich is a Tea Partier.

The real Tea Party are not a bunch of southern religious wackjobs who unhealthily obsess about gays, abortion, and birth control. The true Tea Party is about fiscal responsibility and economics. Economic ideas that are way over the head of Newt.

Saying the evangelicals are Tea Partiers is like Bill Maher claiming he is a Libertarian.

TEPJoePa on April 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM