Quotes of the day

posted at 10:45 pm on April 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Mitt Romney effectively assumed the helm of the Republican Party on Tuesday after five primary victories across the Northeast solidified his stature as the presidential nominee-in-waiting who is trying to unite conservatives and persuade independent voters that President Obama does not deserve a second term…

“The Romney campaign is aggressively looking into all aspects of the Obama administration, with a plan to present the president as a nice and likable but unsuited to solving the country’s economic challenges. Aides said they intended to keep the conversation focused on Mr. Obama’s record in the White House and not his personal biography.

“‘There is a pretty broad view that President Obama is a good family man and decent guy, but may be in over his head,’ said Mr. Gillespie, a former counselor to George W. Bush, who was brought into the Romney campaign this month. He said the argument against re-election would be built around the suggestion that Mr. Obama ‘has not displayed strong leadership, but failed leadership and weak leadership.’”

***

“The bad news for Obama four years later is that the first weeks of the general-election campaign have demonstrated that Mitt Romney and his top staff are not going to play by the same rules as the McCain campaign

“Many conservative bloggers and reporters believe that mainstream publications and networks ignore stories that make the president or his allies look bad. One of the few surefire ways to force the media to cover a story they would prefer to ignore is to have the Republican presidential candidate talk about it. In 2008, McCain’s refusal to do so was particularly hobbling, but the Romney campaign is, so far at least, proving more willing to highlight those controversial topics or ones best handled with a bit of laughter — and utilizing the later hours of the campaign news cycle to do it…

“The Romney campaign is approaching the coming weeks with a strategy of ‘bracketing’ — doing events before and after key Obama campaign stops, making Obama’s message for that event implausible, refuted, and silly by the time he delivers his remarks. Before an Obama stop, Romney will do interviews with local radio stations. Last week Romney went to Charlotte, N.C., to give a ‘pre-buttal’ to Obama’s acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention in September. Romney was supposed to speak on a rooftop with a view of the convention site, the Bank of America football stadium; bad weather forced his team indoors, and Romney spoke with a the city skyline behind him.”

***

“On Romney’s speech Tuesday night, Santorum said he struck the right tone. ‘I think he painted a strong picture. It’s one that’s a clear contrast to what this president’s brought this country,’ he said. Despite having once been his opponent, Santorum said the goal is to defeat President Obama, and he would support that. ‘This is about making sure we have the right person in the presidency, in the House and the Senate,’ Santorum said. ‘I believe he’s the better — obviously I believed I was the better choice. But I’m not in the race anymore.’

“Morgan observed, ‘Unless I’m mishearing things, you just endorsed Mitt Romney’ — a charge Santorum jumped around, saying he’ll be meeting with Romney soon, and then we’ll see.”

***

“If Romney wins the election, it’s almost a sure bet that Republicans win control of both the House and the Senate. And that matters. Right now, the GOP’s agenda is the Ryan budget, and that’s entirely fiscal: It’s a premium support plan for Medicare, and tax cuts, and deep cuts to Medicaid, food stamps and other domestic programs. All that can be passed through budget reconciliation — which is to say, all that can be made immune to the filibuster.

“So if Romney wins and the Republicans take control, they could accomplish quite a lot on party-line votes, even if their majorities are slim, and Democrats are opposed. Indeed, Romney could end up being a fairly transformational president for conservatives so long as he’s paired with a Republican Congress.”

***

***

“Four years ago Barack Obama dazzled us in front of Greek columns with sweeping promises of hope and change. But after we came down to earth, after the celebration and parades, what do we have to show for three and a half years of President Obama?

“Is it easier to make ends meet? Is it easier to sell your home or buy a new one? Have you saved what you needed for retirement? Are you making more in your job? Do you have a better chance to get a better job? Do you pay less at the pump?

“If the answer were ‘yes’ to those questions, then President Obama would be running for re-election based on his achievements…and rightly so. But because he has failed, he will run a campaign of diversions, distractions, and distortions. That kind of campaign may have worked at another place and in a different time. But not here and not now. It’s still about the economy …and we’re not stupid.

“People are hurting in America. And we know that something is wrong, terribly wrong with the direction of the country.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8 9

Can’t afford beans?

Times are such that there are plenty of people who’ve necessarily taken to living in cardboard boxes and tents. Colonies known as Obamavilles are popping up everywhere; their populations broke and growing. For those up a creek, a hut like George Obama’s in Kenya is like the mansion on a hill. On TV we’ve always had the Zombie Armageddon type of shows, about how the normal people prepared beforehand and fended the bad guys off. If some sort of calamity ever happens and circumstances become what we have never seen before, those shows might be helpful, but if Obama gets reelected, possessing the survival instincts of our Forefathers will be best for the times.

RasThavas on April 25, 2012 at 2:53 AM

When 0bama firs back by producing Romney’s record while Governor of Mass. the game will be over, and 0bama will win.

Easy peasy, Beasley.

DannoJyd on April 25, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Ride of the Valkyries” reminds me of all the good times spreading American goodwill through SE Asia.

arnold ziffel on April 25, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I know why too… Apocalypse Now (1979)

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 2:56 AM

All you fun wreckers out there. Is this on topic?

arnold ziffel on April 25, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I used to come here to argue, and occasionally it’s warranted, but I’ve found a ton of really great people from many different walks of life and ages. It’s actually a great form
of education as well. I learn a lot from these people.

Rusty Allen on April 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I think it’s great that HotAir members have a place to socialize, I just don’t think it has to be in the QOTD. It seems like it would be a simple matter to make both camps happy. And while it may seem that there is only one camp here, that’s because the only people here are the people who like and engage in all the chat. The people who don’t like it aren’t here to chime in. Perhaps HotAir should take a poll if they’re considering making a change.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 2:59 AM

I know why too… Apocalypse Now (1979)

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 2:56 AM

My mother’s cousin(my godfather) was a child piano prodigy and as a teenager liked to listen to the Ring Cycle…straight through. According to my mother-my great aunt would speak a lot of time muttering ‘die already’. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM

FloatingRock:

I have been reading HA for years but just recently started posting. I have read your posts and it is evident that you have strong convictions and I respect that. I also understand that your are passionate about politics. I am too and that sometimes can be uncomfortable for people. What they don’t understand is that passion comes from being terrified of seeing what has become of this great county. IMHO there are many posters here who would make the Pope cuss, but that’s life. We can’t all agree all the time. You have every right to express your opinion just like everyone else and I am sure you will. We may not always agree but I can respect anyone who posts with conviction.

JannyMc on April 25, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I wish THIS had lyrics

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Really? Why? It seems so unsingable – hummable, yes, singable, no….

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Really? Why? It seems so unsingable – hummable, yes, singable, no….

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 3:02 AM

i just like it. Btw: My sister-in-law is a harpist.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2012 at 3:03 AM

I have that on my Mp3…and it sounds good with my voice.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2012 at 2:45 AM

alt that is impressive if you can sing that..I would have to have a bucket to carry a tune..:)

Dire Straits on April 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

arnold ziffel on April 25, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Just lucky!!..:)

Dire Straits on April 25, 2012 at 3:06 AM

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Didn’t you post at Red State??..What happened??..:)

Dire Straits on April 25, 2012 at 3:07 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM

That is funny! Was the great aunt irritated at the length of the operas or the fact that it was Wagner?

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 3:09 AM

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 3:09 A

Length. A… would hide out in his bedroom w/the record player.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM

BTW, if you guys are hoping I’ll go away you’re kidding yourselves.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 2:39 AM

I don’t care if you go away, or not.
It I got “fed-up” with you and wished I could punch you in the face (which I do not), I could very easily ignore every comment you made.

It’s easy.

BTW, why don’t you do like arnold and/or Hawgs said–Bring up a topic you want to discuss and state your position–usually someone will bite.

RedCrow on April 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Perhaps HotAir should take a poll if they’re considering making a change.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 2:59 AM

I vote, preemptively, NO CHANGE ….

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM

It’s 0200 ish. I’m out.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I vote, preemptively, NO CHANGE ….

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM

seconded.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2012 at 3:14 AM

It’s 0200 ish. I’m out.
annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM
Have a great Wednesday.

Rusty Allen on April 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM

I just don’t think it has to be in the QOTD.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Totalitarian freak.

John the Libertarian on April 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Length. A… would hide out in his bedroom w/the record player.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM

That is a lot of 33s …. LOL

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 3:16 AM

As far as going off topic, that’s expected when people have a conversation. Sometimes I love it when that happens because it may be something news worthy and I wouldn’t know about it. If it is a string of comments that gets on last last nerve, I just skip over them. What is important to some people is an annoyance to others. In order to save what little sanity I have left, I remind myself that life is too short to allow others to dictate my mood.

JannyMc on April 25, 2012 at 3:18 AM

It’s 0200 ish. I’m out.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Night, twerp.

RedCrow on April 25, 2012 at 3:19 AM

JannyMc on April 25, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Right? Go with the flow.
Pretty easy to skip what annoys you on a computer monitor.

RedCrow on April 25, 2012 at 3:21 AM

That Romney gave a very Presidential speech tonight, eh! We have a lot to look forward too this election season (or is it electoral season?). How about Ann Romney as a poised and polish First Lady. I think the country is looking forward to that!

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 3:29 AM

RedCrow on April 25, 2012 at 3:21 AM

That is my feeling also..:)

Dire Straits on April 25, 2012 at 3:29 AM

OK, I’m calling a halt to my participation. Thanks for the fun, everyone! Bubye!

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 3:35 AM

John the Libertarian on April 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM

You have a very good point!..:)

PS..Maybe someday we can post all the music videos we want..:)

PS.I enjoyed it..:)

Dire Straits on April 25, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Regarding Romney: He is not my first or even second or third choice but if he can do what his supporters say he can do if he defeats Obama and gets rid of the waste and fraud in the cesspool that is DC, he will be one successful President. The American people are hungry for anyone who is willing to take on the corruption that has been the root cause of so many of our problems. We elect these “public servants” and they go to DC and pocket taxpayer money, cheat on their taxes, engage in “insider trading”, pass laws that do not apply to them, and vote themselves raises and unbelievable benefits at our expense. Americans want accountability from these jokers. Romney needs to make it clear that he is the Elliott Ness of presidential politics and means to bring real accountability to government on every level. I think that would more than resonate with voters.

JannyMc on April 25, 2012 at 3:37 AM

John the Libertarian on April 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM

You have a very good point!..:)

PS..Maybe someday we can post all the music videos we want on QOTD thread..:)

PS.I enjoyed it..:)

Dire Straits on April 25, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Sorry!..:)

Dire Straits on April 25, 2012 at 3:38 AM

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Lol. Way to get the thread back on track before mike shows up, and starts yellin’. Hey, Dire? Could you pick up those bottles over there?

On the serious tip, I only saw/read a little bit of it–Rmoney’s speech. I thought I’d read what the pundits have to say later today, maybe catch some clips.

I know everyone’s worried about Rmoney–he’s a squish, just like Odumbo, liberal, etc. I do kinda like the fact that he’s had a job in his life, though.

RedCrow on April 25, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Sorry!..:)

Dire Straits on April 25, 2012 at 3:38 AM

That last one you posted made up for your many (many, many) wrongs, tonight. :)

RedCrow on April 25, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Okay, I’m truly and honestly going to go to bed this time.
Night to all who’re left.
Turn the lights down when you leave, or mike’ll throttle ya!

RedCrow on April 25, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Right? Go with the flow.
Pretty easy to skip what annoys you on a computer monitor.

RedCrow on April 25, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Actually, it is. However, if it is important or interesting, I will respond. Just don’t see the point in jumping in just to mix it up, but that’s just me. No shrinking violet either. :)

JannyMc on April 25, 2012 at 3:47 AM

JannyMc on April 25, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I appreciate your sentiments, Janny.

I think you may have misread my intent, perhaps. I’m not trying to make anybody agree with me or shut them up, not at all. That is not my style or nature. I’m proposing a solution that will increase the options for everybody to speak their minds as they prefer. Minnesoter back on page one isn’t the first person to complain about all the chatting in the QOTD, (I’ve been very tolerant of it myself and I comment here all the time), but several other people have had the same complaint in the past.

All I’m proposing is a possible solution that HotAir could easily implement to make everybody happy. People can have slower, deliberative conversations about a topic in the QOTD thread and faster, social conversations in another. If it’s an unpopular idea then forget it, but I don’t think we can tell just from sentiments in this thread because it’s possible that the silent majority that doesn’t like all the chatting just aren’t here to comment.

Anyway, people have requested a real-time chat room before, so I thought most people would like the idea.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Totalitarian freak.

John the Libertarian on April 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Maybe you can explain how having a choice is totalitarian and perhaps you will persuade.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 4:37 AM

RedCrow
Very nice, one problem, there’s a huge piece of trash that’s been in the middle of the thread. Its sinking rock of coarse……… floating rock, I hope you do not EVER socialize on any thread, because whiners have followers ………..you’ve sat in the middle of this thread and whined all night how you want it your way, well you better keep it YOUR way on other threads…….
Just sayin, hehe………(°_°)

angrymike on April 25, 2012 at 4:58 AM

angrymike on April 25, 2012 at 4:58 AM

No, you are so wrong. You have it completely backwards. I’m saying that everybody can have it their way. It will be an improvement all the way around.

What is wrong with that? Is that all you guys can do is be snide and attack me personally? Can’t any of you ever, just once, make a rational argument to try to disprove something I’ve said? How have I ever tried to “have it my way”? In fact I said that maybe HotAir should take a poll. If it’s an unpopular idea then of course they’re not going to do it.

What is unreasonable about that? Nothing as far as anybody can explain, instead all it is is more juvenile name calling.

That’s the problem. Once upon a time there were many fantastic commentators here that engaged in rational debate, instead of all the name calling like dominates now. It was better the way it was before, and that’s one reason why so many of those people don’t participate anymore. It could be that way again, and all the chat could continue and even expand and have better features, and what is wrong with that? Can anybody provide a single rational explanation other than ad hominem?

Maybe somebody has and I missed it. Sorry.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 5:10 AM

You’re easily dazzled.

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 5:14 AM

Floating rock
probably be best if you stayed On Topic………… just saying………

angrymike on April 25, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Floating Rock, for what it’s worth, I think you have a point. But that’s the nature of these internet things.

Don’t take it too serious.

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 5:30 AM

Don’t take it too serious.

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 5:30 AM

We’ve got bigger problems.

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Floating rock
probably be best if you stayed On Topic………… just saying………

angrymike on April 25, 2012 at 5:19 AM

His point is….it becomes difficult TO stay on topic.

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 5:32 AM

How very wrong this is. For starters, “good guys” don’t demand that fully born babies be starved to death and attempt to take away the very religious conscience rights of millions of Americans, steal corporations for their union buddies, instigate racial discord, agitate hatred, embrace the inherent evil of Saul Alinsky, despise the constitution that protects us from a corrupted government, or systematically bankrupt a nation.

Don L on April 25, 2012 at 5:39 AM

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 5:10 AM
FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 4:24 AM

If there is a silent majority would prefer that HA have a live chat room, I am a part of it. I actually enjoy that people are socializing–it’s clear that they have a sense of knowing each other, and that the chat is a nice way to relax after a hard day–but I’d rather there were a “cigar room” where it were done instead of QOTD. I’ve stopped reading the QOTD comments, for the most part–sometimes I skim them, but skimming eight pages of chat isn’t generally something I want to do. I don’t want the chat to stop, but I would vote for a move to a different area.

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 4:37 AM

I thought he was joking.

DrMagnolias on April 25, 2012 at 5:49 AM

His point is….it becomes difficult TO stay on topic.

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 5:32 AM

No commenter is keeping another commenter from staying on topic or off topic. The choice is theirs and theirs alone…

Gohawgs on April 25, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Don L on April 25, 2012 at 5:39 AM

Shhhhhhhhhhh, Don. That’s not the status quo or politically correct thing to say…But it’s the truth…

Gohawgs on April 25, 2012 at 6:31 AM

DrMagnolias on April 25, 2012 at 5:49 AM

Another possibility is that if more would comment on “less chit chatty things” there would be less “chit chat”. Again, it’s up to each commenter…

Gohawgs on April 25, 2012 at 6:35 AM

The biggest problem Romney has is himself: i.e., his personality and, more importantly, his political track record and erratic ideology.

kingsjester on April 25, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Threat against Sen. Marco Rubio under investigation, his office says

U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., is the target of a threat deemed credible enough to merit police protection in Washington, D.C., and at his home in West Miami, his office said late Tuesday.

Flora Duh on April 25, 2012 at 6:48 AM

erratic ideology.

kingsjester on April 25, 2012 at 6:42 AM

That’s one way to put it…

Gohawgs on April 25, 2012 at 7:03 AM

so if romney and obama are the nominees, who is going to represent the working white guy?

renalin on April 25, 2012 at 7:14 AM

I haven’t had time to read through 8 pages of comments so if these have already been posted, my apologies.

Some tweets from Debbie Whatshername-Schultz after Romney’s speech.

@DWStweets
Romney spoke tonight about building a “better America,” but under his watch, America would go back to the failed policies of the past.

@DWStweets
Let’s be clear about what would be stupid: reversing the progress we’ve made & returning to the failed policies that got us into this mess.

@DWStweets
Romney’s failed record as governor should give voters pause. He has not one area of accomplishment from his time as governor—esp. not jobs.

@DWStweets
Advocating for failed policies of the past and a failed record in office—that’s not better & that’s not leadership. http://t.co/PskJWG5H

It was LOL funny to read the ridicule she got from those on the right. And that was before Bret Baier humiliated her on FNC last night.

Flora Duh on April 25, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Easy peasy, Beasley.

DannoJyd on April 25, 2012 at 2:55 AM

So Obama is going to spend millions reminding voters — especially key swing and moderate voters — that Romney is the centrist candidate and open to compromise? Obama would be, in effect, dragging Romney back to the center for him by highlighting his squish record. All of which, mind you, gives us a better fighting chance in PA, parts of VA, and further up the coast should Obama use that strategy.

Punchenko on April 25, 2012 at 7:20 AM

renalin on April 25, 2012 at 7:14 AM

The closest thing you’ll have will be Ron Paul. Johnson is a last-minute-nobody nominee. So yeah, basically we’re screwed. Again.

MelonCollie on April 25, 2012 at 7:23 AM

so if romney and obama are the nominees, who is going to represent the working white black guy?

renalin on April 25, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Eveer thought about THAT?

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 7:30 AM

renalin on April 25, 2012 at 7:14 AM

I think that under Romney, even the working black guy’s gonna be better off, don’t you?

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Let’s see if the blank canvas is really a limited government Conservative that was just posing in that blue state……..

…..or is he posing now?

Either way at least he’s not a Commie.

ROMNEYCARE 2012!!!!……..sorry meant to write NOT OBAMA 2012!!!

PappyD61 on April 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM

i’m a working class latino, and know without a doubt, things won’t get better with romney.

renalin on April 25, 2012 at 7:40 AM

ya seem romney supports socialized medicine. that means someday to see a physician i will have to stand in a long line. standing in front of me will be busloads of illegals.

mitt and his elite supporters will always have a spot at the front.

renalin on April 25, 2012 at 7:43 AM

That was a pretty good speech! He’s our guy now! Go Mitt!

JellyToast on April 25, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Getting Obama and compliant D’s and ‘cross the aisle’ R’s out of office is the primary job for this Nation politically. At the other end of the ticket, finding good and staunch conservative individuals to start populating everything from the local Sheriff’s office to local school boards all the way on up to State representatives and Governors is just as important if not more important as it reshapes the political landscape from the bottom and puts pressure on the higher levels to give way to the lower.

There is pent up capital on the side-lines due not just to Obama, but to the intrusive and authoritarian system of government at the federal level. Some of that will get freed up on a Romney win, just because the outlook will no longer be bombastic and divisive. Much of it will wait to see what Romney and fiscal conservatives can craft to start pulling the regulatory and social spending tentacles out of our lives. That isn’t just at the top, in DC, but at the bottom with reckless spending for pensions and administration heavy school districts at the bottom. The US must start dismantling the 20th century behemoth of government at all levels to get some fiscal sanity back in the picture.

Tossing Obama out is necessary but NOT SUFFICIENT to this end.

ajacksonian on April 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

renalin on April 25, 2012 at 7:40 AM

OK, I’ll concede that point, (given that I think the problems are too systemic and widespread throughtout the culture on so many levels) but surely, you can’t be implying that we’ll be better off under another four years of Obama?

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

That was a pretty good speech! He’s our guy now! Go Mitt!

JellyToast on April 25, 2012 at 7:47 AM

I have noticed his speeches getting easier for me to listen to. I saw a couple of comments on the 1st page of this thread where people said essentially the same thing. I’m assuming it’s because he hired Lindsay Hayes, who wrote Sarah Palin’s speeches during the 2008 campaign.

Flora Duh on April 25, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

no, i don’t. our country will deteriorate rapidly under obama. and worse irrevocably. never to be altered by another election. the elites having laid down the template of our destruction. romney will only pretend to slow it down. sure some will feel better. whew, at least its not obama. never realizing that they are still drowning.

renalin on April 25, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Tossing Obama out is necessary but NOT SUFFICIENT to this end.

ajacksonian on April 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I agree. At times it seems like a herculean task but it must start. Romney is a bit of a wild card on this ideology but I am going to try to remain hopeful while helping those who have already begun taking on the local school, county and state boards.

Fallon on April 25, 2012 at 8:04 AM

@DWStweets

Flora Duh on April 25, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Does she really want to harp on about “failed policies”? I can’t imagine how she lives with herself.

Fallon on April 25, 2012 at 8:07 AM

We need a new running category: Understatement of the Year

“There is a pretty broad view that President Obama is a good family man and decent guy, but may be in over his head” – Ed Gillespie, former counselor to George W. Bush

‘Nuff Said.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 25, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Yes, the green jobs and the whole administration program have worked so much better than the results of real business people.

That is why we have liberals staying up all night trying to figure out how to get more money from successful enterprises.

So they can shop like a teenage girl.

Wait, that is sexist and unfair. No “nice” girl would act like GSA.

IlikedAUH2O on April 25, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Fallon on April 25, 2012 at 8:07 AM

She put the “dem” in demagogue, the “hype” in hyperbole, and the “chit” in bullchit. In other words, a picture perfect representative of the Democrat party.

Flora Duh on April 25, 2012 at 8:13 AM

renalin on April 25, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Ah, clear-sighted realism. Very refreshing to my spirit.

Yes, it’s easy to get caught up in the hope of removing the stain that is Obama from the public square but ignore the prevailing and entrenched condiitions that made his rise to power even possible.

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 8:13 AM

It’s a joke-and Koolaide knows it.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Floatingrock, your handle sure fits.

You are as intellectually heavy as pumice and just as grating.

Only I can insult ALyT. Besides, what you tried was weak.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 8:14 AM

JannyMc on April 25, 2012 at 3:37 AM

From your mouth to God’s ear! That is why conservatives need to be elected to the house/senate/gov/state/local positions. To give Romney a reason to be more conservative. We voters need to start paying attention to these races.

Amjean on April 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I know this OT, but to quote Iowa Hawk “Oh, for f*** sake. Hands-down winner of stupidest fed regulation in history.”

A proposal from the Obama administration to prevent children from doing farm chores has drawn plenty of criticism from rural-district members of Congress. But now it’s attracting barbs from farm kids themselves.

The Department of Labor is poised to put the finishing touches on a rule that would apply child-labor laws to children working on family farms, prohibiting them from performing a list of jobs on their own families’ land.

Under the rules, children under 18 could no longer work “in the storing, marketing and transporting of farm product raw materials.”

“Prohibited places of employment,” a Department press release read, “would include country grain elevators, grain bins, silos, feed lots, stockyards, livestock exchanges and livestock auctions.”

The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course. Read more:

Flora Duh on April 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Brilliant speech from Romney last night. Loved every second of it.

My favorite part:

“Is it easier to make ends meet?” he said to the call-and-response chant of “No!” “Is it easier to sell your home or buy a new one? Have you saved what you needed for retirement? Are you making more in your job? Do you have a better chance to get a better job? Do you pay less at the pump?”

“If the answer were ‘yes’ to those questions, then President Obama would be running for reelection based on his achievements, and rightly so,” Romney said. “But because he has failed, he will run a campaign of diversions, distractions, and distortions. That kind of campaign may have worked at another place and in a different time. But not here and not now. It’s still about the economy” — here he paused for effect — “and we’re not stupid.”

Out here we’re ready to rumble and excited for the fall campaign. The deafening thud that will be heard around the world on the night of November 6 will be Obama’s ego coming crashing down. The myth of Obama has been greatly shattered, and all that his campaign team can do now is to try to divide the country along class and racial lines. Obama’s dismal economic record cannot be defended, and Obama’s habit of blaming Bush for everything bad will be effective only among the most left-wing partisan and uninformed voters.

Obama’s economic record is a clear record of failure. Americans know this. Will Obama be successful in his shameful attempts to tear down a fine man like Mitt Romney? Nope. I have faith in the voters.

bluegill on April 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Flora Duh on April 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM

You should read Joel Salatin’s “Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal”, or “Folks, This Ain’t Normal”

an small-family farmer in Virginia.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Flora, OOTD needs your narcissism quote wrt to Obama.

Fallon on April 25, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I’M the only one allowed to annoy people here. Get offa my turf.
*looks fierce*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Kind of 0bama-ish tonight…

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I really liked his speech (even though it was Teleprompter read).

Nice job Mitt.

PappyD61 on April 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM

…the president as a nice and likable but…

A confidence trick is also known as a con game, con, scam, grift, hustle, bunko, bunco, swindle, flimflam, gaffle, or bamboozle. The intended victims are known as marks. The perpetrator of a confidence trick is often referred to as a confidence man or woman, con man or woman, con artist or grifter. When accomplices are employed, they are known as shills.

Perfect discription of Obama and his shills.

Vince on April 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Yeah, leave that stuff up to Rove. He’s doing pretty good so far.

Kissmygrits on April 25, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Our local paper had the dog in the crate on the car roof story, but no mention that the boy wonder ate dogs. They did not run the polygamy stories at all. The shields are still being raised for the Won.

Kissmygrits on April 25, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I made it through 5 pages of this thread and finally gave up. I found only a few substantive comments. Some noted how good his speech was; Joana noted some interesting stats about PA voters skipping O in the primary.

The chat room stuff is annoying – too much to wade through, so I have to side with FloatingRock on this one (although I find it amusing she thinks the problem is “Romney Supporters”. Most of the idle chatter is from people who are very late to Romney).

And may I note how ironic it is to see ExpressoBold chattering away about nothing? This is the same loon who attacked me and another commenter yesterday because I highlighted some paragraphs from an article linked to in the headlines.

I miss the old days…

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I miss the old days…

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Then you should take your own advice and run away from here.

Whiners like you are enthusiastically bashed about the head and shoulders with thorny sticks when they try that stuff in here.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Oh wait, I apologize for an error! It took until 3:29 a.m and 8 pages for ExpressoBold to compose a comment on topic to the thread:

ExpressoBold on April 25, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Oh well, at least the thread didn’t begin with “First!”. That was a refreshing change…

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Ha! You are one of the worst offenders with the witless, repetitive fluffin nutballs dreck you post. Can you point me in the direction of a single comment you’ve ever made which added any unique insight to any topic which we are theoretically supposed to be discussing? Just one?

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 9:19 AM

You whine and cry about how worthless this thread is and yet, here you stay…kinda’ like black mold. And just as welcome.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I get it. You like chat rooms.

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Nothing stops me from commenting, which should be apparent, however it is impossible to have a serious debate in this format when you have to read through 50 chit-chat comments to get to a serious comment that somebody took the time to write and post and people like me would like to have a chance to read without it getting lost in all the chit-chat. Why bother?

FloatingRock on April 25, 2012 at 1:35 AM

FloatingRock, I appreciate your sincere interest in trying to correct what you see as a problem on the QOTD, but actually I don’t think it’s your place to do so. This is Ed and Allah’s blog, not yours. Obviously Ed and Allah are comfortable with pages and pages of comments and chit chat that have nothing to do with politics, or they would have put a stop to it months ago.

I too have noticed that there are very few serious commenters anymore on the QOTD. My advice to you is to do what a great number of others have done and just ignore the thread completely.

Burke on April 25, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I get it. You like chat rooms.

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM

We can’t all be joyless whiners who only want to trash others…like you.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM

We can’t all be joyless whiners who only want to trash others…like you.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM

You don’t think calling people “{blank}haters” is “trashing” people? Please spare me the sanctimony.

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I only bash you hatin’ nutballs who so thoroughly deserve it.

And if you don’t like my sanctimony don’t be a hatin’ nutball.

You start out spewing about how bad this thread is, yet you stay.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM

OMG – last night on FOX – the election edition of “Special Report” has Brett Baier interviewing Debbie Wasserman-Schultz =

FOLKS, YOU MUST WATCH THE VIDEO IF YOU CAN FIND IT !!!!!

She totally stumbles on the Senate/Budget issue – Baier really let her have it. I was ROFLMAO.

That interview needs to be turned into an ad for the GOP Senate elections. Priceless…….

BabysCatz on April 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I miss the old days…

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM

My advice to you is the same as my advice to FloatingRock: Give it up. You’re not going to change anything with your piddling little comments, your whining. If you are a fun, sociable person who has something interesting to say about music or your personal life, feel free to join in. If you are a serious type who drags people down with a lot of boring analysis and commentary, you can always find another thread. I’m sorry if that sounds a little harsh, but it’s my opinion.

Burke on April 25, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Burke on April 25, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I rarely come here any more thanks to the chat room atmosphere and elation over being “First!” but thanks for your advice. If you think analysis and commentary is “boring” I have to wonder why you are at Hot Air.

Oh and as for discussing my “personal life” have you seen what happens to people who do that? No thanks. I keep my personal stuff at a minimum.

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I only bash you hatin’ nutballs who so thoroughly deserve it.

And if you don’t like my sanctimony don’t be a hatin’ nutball.

You start out spewing about how bad this thread is, yet you stay.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM

No, you bashed people who dared to criticize any candidate other than Romney. You childishly call any criticism “hatred” and ignore every positive thing commenters have said on behalf of candidates. When asked by those you called “haters” to provide an example of a “hateful” statement you never once were able to do it.

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Sure sweetie, stick with that.

And as for not sharing personal information, congratulations on your son’s upcoming 18th tomorrow.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Buy Danish:

That’s smart. That’s what I advised FloatingRock to do–avoid the QOTD.

I’m a boring person myself, so I enjoy boring analysis. That’s why I avoid the QOTD and stick to the other threads.

Then you are missing out on one of the greatest joys of the QOTD–to share one’s personal life and musical tastes while avoiding politics almost completely.

Burke on April 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Funny thing is this QOTD comment thread is still open for commenting. Where is everyone? That behavior doesn’t exist on any of the other threads here at HA. They can go on for days. Just an observation about QOTD’s uniqueness.

Bmore on April 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM