Quotes of the day

posted at 10:45 pm on April 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Mitt Romney effectively assumed the helm of the Republican Party on Tuesday after five primary victories across the Northeast solidified his stature as the presidential nominee-in-waiting who is trying to unite conservatives and persuade independent voters that President Obama does not deserve a second term…

“The Romney campaign is aggressively looking into all aspects of the Obama administration, with a plan to present the president as a nice and likable but unsuited to solving the country’s economic challenges. Aides said they intended to keep the conversation focused on Mr. Obama’s record in the White House and not his personal biography.

“‘There is a pretty broad view that President Obama is a good family man and decent guy, but may be in over his head,’ said Mr. Gillespie, a former counselor to George W. Bush, who was brought into the Romney campaign this month. He said the argument against re-election would be built around the suggestion that Mr. Obama ‘has not displayed strong leadership, but failed leadership and weak leadership.’”

***

“The bad news for Obama four years later is that the first weeks of the general-election campaign have demonstrated that Mitt Romney and his top staff are not going to play by the same rules as the McCain campaign

“Many conservative bloggers and reporters believe that mainstream publications and networks ignore stories that make the president or his allies look bad. One of the few surefire ways to force the media to cover a story they would prefer to ignore is to have the Republican presidential candidate talk about it. In 2008, McCain’s refusal to do so was particularly hobbling, but the Romney campaign is, so far at least, proving more willing to highlight those controversial topics or ones best handled with a bit of laughter — and utilizing the later hours of the campaign news cycle to do it…

“The Romney campaign is approaching the coming weeks with a strategy of ‘bracketing’ — doing events before and after key Obama campaign stops, making Obama’s message for that event implausible, refuted, and silly by the time he delivers his remarks. Before an Obama stop, Romney will do interviews with local radio stations. Last week Romney went to Charlotte, N.C., to give a ‘pre-buttal’ to Obama’s acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention in September. Romney was supposed to speak on a rooftop with a view of the convention site, the Bank of America football stadium; bad weather forced his team indoors, and Romney spoke with a the city skyline behind him.”

***

“On Romney’s speech Tuesday night, Santorum said he struck the right tone. ‘I think he painted a strong picture. It’s one that’s a clear contrast to what this president’s brought this country,’ he said. Despite having once been his opponent, Santorum said the goal is to defeat President Obama, and he would support that. ‘This is about making sure we have the right person in the presidency, in the House and the Senate,’ Santorum said. ‘I believe he’s the better — obviously I believed I was the better choice. But I’m not in the race anymore.’

“Morgan observed, ‘Unless I’m mishearing things, you just endorsed Mitt Romney’ — a charge Santorum jumped around, saying he’ll be meeting with Romney soon, and then we’ll see.”

***

“If Romney wins the election, it’s almost a sure bet that Republicans win control of both the House and the Senate. And that matters. Right now, the GOP’s agenda is the Ryan budget, and that’s entirely fiscal: It’s a premium support plan for Medicare, and tax cuts, and deep cuts to Medicaid, food stamps and other domestic programs. All that can be passed through budget reconciliation — which is to say, all that can be made immune to the filibuster.

“So if Romney wins and the Republicans take control, they could accomplish quite a lot on party-line votes, even if their majorities are slim, and Democrats are opposed. Indeed, Romney could end up being a fairly transformational president for conservatives so long as he’s paired with a Republican Congress.”

***

***

“Four years ago Barack Obama dazzled us in front of Greek columns with sweeping promises of hope and change. But after we came down to earth, after the celebration and parades, what do we have to show for three and a half years of President Obama?

“Is it easier to make ends meet? Is it easier to sell your home or buy a new one? Have you saved what you needed for retirement? Are you making more in your job? Do you have a better chance to get a better job? Do you pay less at the pump?

“People are hurting in America. And we know that something is wrong, terribly wrong with the direction of the country.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

They can go on for days. Just an observation about QOTD’s uniqueness.

Bmore on April 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM

buymoredanishstuff would like to take issue with that.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM

cozmo, since not many folks come back here in the a.m. I wanted to tell you something. I tried to tell Dire in an apparently too subtle way two nights in a row now. I left him a message on another open thread. If it happens to come up at some point will you let him know? Thanks. ; )

Bmore on April 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM

By the way 803 comments.

Bmore on April 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Bmore on April 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM

10-4

Sometimes I miss the road…sometimes.

The countdown starts when?

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM

[Romney:]“If the answer were ‘yes’ to those questions, then President Obama would be running for re-election based on his achievements…and rightly so. But because he has failed, he will run a campaign of diversions, distractions, and distortions. That kind of campaign may have worked at another place and in a different time. But not here and not now. It’s still about the economy …and we’re not stupid.

This has got to be the best thing Romney has ever said! If the rest of the campaign is like this, Romney will be President!

Steve Z on April 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Today. I’m gonna try real hard to post QOTD at least. I may be able to squeeze in one or two more. Thanks ; )

Bmore on April 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Bmore on April 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM

You do realize the situation you got yourself into, right?

I may have some fun with this for a while…

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Steve Z on April 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Fingers crossed. I think he can. 0 has got to go!

Bmore on April 25, 2012 at 11:34 AM

You do realize the situation you got yourself into, right?

I may have some fun with this for a while…

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Yeah, its funny! I would have as much fun with it as possible. Fun is good once in a while. I am always suspicious of folks who don’t enjoy a little banter from time to time. Life is short, get some while you can, is my way of thinking. Keep after em, I know you will. ; )

Bmore on April 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Then you are missing out on one of the greatest joys of the QOTD–to share one’s personal life and musical tastes while avoiding politics almost completely.
Burke on April 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM

It’s not a “joy” to some of us who find it too tedious to wade through page upon page of chat room chatter to try to find substantive comments. This is a political blog and the quotes are about politics. Why does Allah even bother going to the trouble to compile them every day if they’re going to be ignored?

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM

buymoredanishstuff would like to take issue with that.
cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Not necessarily. It all depends on what is being discussed. I don’t object at all to a “little banter” but when 90% of the comments are “banter” it becomes an impediment.

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

That’s why you spent so much time whining about this worthless thread, yet cannot stay away.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I’m assuming if Allah didn’t like all the chit chat, he’d crack down and do something about it. I know when I have a lot of chatter in my classroom, that’s what I do. I don’t like to crack down because for a while it makes me unpopular. I do it anyway, though. Kids. You know how they are. They really will push boundaries as long as you let them get away with it, and they’d much rather talk about personal stuff and musical tastes than do math problems. You know how that goes, I’m sure.

When I tell my pupils, “Hey! You need to cut out the gabbing! This is a classroom for learning, not playing and socializing!” do you think they respond with cheers of joy? Of course not. I’m interrupting them from prime social time and I become the villain for a while–just as FloatingRock did.

As for Allah taking time to select important quotes of the day and all that time essentially being wasted, well, you have a point there, but I get the feeling that the fact that there are just a bunch of quotes and no opinions written by Allah is what makes it so appealing to the late-night occupiers to turn the blog into a general gabfest. I mean, what can you do with a bunch of quotes, especially ones from Romney? How can you actually respond to just quotes when there isn’t one single opinion written out in easy, didactic format? I admit that’s not how I feel, but I can certainly understand the other viewpoint.

Burke on April 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM

As this point in time I’m responding to clowns. Apparently you think you get to leave comments about me and I won’t respond to them, giving you a free pass to Planet Jackasserie.

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Honey, you have been the butt of jokes on just about every QOTD thread.

You are just that entertaining in your nutballyness.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Some seem to overlook the fact that for many, forums like this one are an important means for them to feel that at least their concerns have a place to be aired and taken seriously.

Not everyone has the means, time, or opportunity to get involved in anything even resembling an effective way to alter or affect the things they see happening around them everyday viz a viz their principles and beliefs being traduced by the very offices that are supposed to be protecting them. They come in to a place like this for encouragement and fellowship and instead are confronted with endless dialogs on rock band, recipes, and the weather.

Like BuyDanish said, and I agree with him, if Allahpundit, Ed, et al don’t care about the substance of what they post, then why do they do it?

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM

No compelling argument has been made. QOTD is one thread. One unique thread amongst the many here at HA. No commenter is blocked from making their comments on this thread or any other as near as I can tell. We all have to wade through comments made, not just here at QOTD, but on every other thread HA posts. There are many comments and commenters I personally find tedious. I scroll right on by them until I come to something that interest me. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Perception/Reality. Try it sometime, my thinking is that we will all be the better for having tried. Broaden your tolerance and broaden the possibilities. Or if you prefer be rigid and inflexible. Lockstep! Makes no difference to me what you do. Its your one share on an anonymous blog. Use it as you see fit.

Bmore on April 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Oh and one other thing. ” May the beatings continue until morale improves! “ I’m out. ; )

Bmore on April 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM

That poor joyless spinster…

tom daschle concerned on April 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM

tom daschle concerned on April 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I don’t think she’s a spinster.

cozmo on April 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM

That was all reasonably stated, Cleombrotus, but I still go back to my own argument that the nightly QOTD threads are the concern of Allah and Ed. If they wanted to change the atmosphere of those threads, they could easily do it simply by clamping down and imposing limits on the amount of irrelevant social chatter. Since they are not doing that, I think we can assume that they enjoy or at least cheerfully tolerate what these nightly chatroom experiences have become. Since we are all guests of Allah and Ed, it behooves us to be flexible and work around their vision for the blog.

Burke on April 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM

晚安

DarkCurrent on April 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

That poor joyless spinster…

tom daschle concerned on April 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I doubt that someone that smart can be joyless…

jimver on April 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM

And with that speech it’s like the last 5 months never happened. Anyone remember one “zinger” from the debates? Anyone care anymore?

Game on!

sdbatboy on April 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Burke on April 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Oh, I agree most heartely, Burke. I’m certainly not suggesting the management impose any more rules beyond those already implemented ensuring the proper decorum.

No, I’m simply adding my thoughts after considering, a bit further, Floating Rock’s comments and noting the frustration evident in his/ her complaint. I guess I’m just suggesting that all of us consider the contributions we’re making to the general discourse when we post. That’s all.

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Buy Danish on April 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM

You usually come off as a learned individual (/). How ’bout you post a substantive “political” comment or two on the QOTD thread and see what kind of response you get and from whom. No one, other than yourself, is stopping you from doing so. Same for any of the others that find the QOTD threads “tedious”…

Gohawgs on April 26, 2012 at 1:46 AM