Paul captures 20 of 24 Minnesota delegates in CD conventions

posted at 9:21 am on April 24, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

It’s tough these days to be a Republican in Minnesota.  While the party managed to take control of both chambers of the state legislature in 2010 for the first time in decades, the organization is deeply in debt, thanks to mismanagement under previous leadership, and seems at times in total disarray.  A sex scandal in the state Senate leader’s office that forced then-majority leader Amy Koch to give up her position didn’t help either.  The latest stumble has national implications, however:

Minnesota will send 40 delegates to the Republican National Convention. Twenty of the 24 delegates based on congressional districts were awarded to Texas Rep. Ron Paul in selection processes that concluded this weekend.

Thirteen Minnesota delegates will be allocated based on the results of a statewide convention in May, according to Paul campaign senior adviser Doug Wead.

Wead wrote on his blog that GOP presidential front-runner Mitt Romney is an a “panic” after the Paul landslide. Similar efforts to bolster the Texas congressman’s delegate count are underway in Iowa, Colorado, Maine and other states.

“[A] number of Romney Hawks are now deeply concerned that Ron Paul has already laid the groundwork for similar success in six more caucus states,” Wead wrote.

In Minnesota, delegates get chosen in congressional-district conventions, and they are not bound to any candidate.  I ran for one of these positions in CD-02 on Saturday as part of a “unity slate” backed by GOP candidates for leadership positions in the organization.  None of us even came close to winning; we later found out that the closest anyone else came to winning those slots was more than 100 votes behind the second and third place finishers, who tied.  The same tie occurred when electing alternates.

So what happened?  Paul supporters organized at the local level and got themselves elected as delegates to CD conventions.  They then showed up to the conventions — unlike some others — and played by the rules.  At our convention, there were no disruptions, no demonstrations, no attempts to hijack the proceedings.  The Paul supporters just organized effectively and outboxed the party establishment.  My radio partner Mitch Berg reported that the same thing happened in CD-04, but worries more about what comes next:

Some of their leadership was motivated by fairly palpable anger over the “way they were treated in 2008″, when quite a few GOP activists gamed the system to keep the first wave of Paul supporters out of power.  To their political credit, they spent their four years organizing, and did a good job of it.

Less to their credit?  While anger is a good motivator, “anger at the inner workings of a political party” has, I’m going to guess, a short shelf life.   And at least in the Fourth CD, the anger was manifested by ballot.  The twitter stream during the convention indicated that at other districts, Paul supporters booed Dan Severson and Pete Hegseth, whose main transgression was “not being Kurt Bills”, the Paul crowd’s candidate for Senate, or refusing to stand to support John Kline at the 2nd District convention when he was re-endorsed. …

While the crowd of Paul supporters at the convention Saturday carefully replaced their “Ron Paul” posters and stickers with “Kurt Bills” goodies, and voted to endorse Tony Hernandez by a 190-5-5 margin (after running a skillful campaign to win support from most of the establishment and Paul crowds), I have yet to hear a lot of support for, or even especially much awareness of, races farther down ticket or, more importantly, for candidates who get endorsed even if they’re not on the Paul slate.

Now, I know that there are a lot of good, committed people among the Paul crowd who are committed to using their positions in the GOP to work for the party, not just a candidate or two.

But I get a different impression from some of their leadership.  Ronald Reagan once said that if someone agrees with you 70% of the time, it doesn’t make them 30% your enemy.

And from some of the Paul crowd’s leadership, I do get the impression that, whether motivated by single-candidate zeal or roiling anger over 2008 or one of the mind-boggling number of byzantine interpersonal pissing matches that seems to motivate so much of CD4 GOP politics no matter who the nominee or the cause celebre or what the defining issue is, the Paul crowd’s leadership, in the district and beyond, sees “70% friends” as “30% enemies”.

The Paul campaign wants to believe that they can replicate this outcome in other caucus states, and it’s certainly possible.  But in Minnesota, they had an opening left by a party in serious disarray.  How serious?  They may soon find themselves homeless:

The Minnesota Republican Party is facing eviction for nonpayment of more than $111,000 in rent at its longtime headquarters near the Capitol.

Republican Party Chairman Pat Shortridge tried to assure party faithful on Monday that he expects the party will keep its home office, but acknowledged that the party has not paid a full month’s rent for a year.

“We’re not going to be evicted,” Shortridge said, although the eviction matter is due to be heard in Ramsey County District court next Tuesday. He added that the party is “continuing to negotiate on the back payments as well as on a lease that better fits both our space needs and our budget.”

The possible eviction is the latest blow for a state Republican Party that is swamped with debt and financial problems. The party, $2 million in arrears on bills and debt related to the 2010 gubernatorial recount, is being investigated by the Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board for inaccurate campaign reporting.

This isn’t the fault of Shortridge, who just recently took the party chair position to try to right the ship.  The state GOP has had to focus on rebuilding its fiscal position more than the internal and external politics of the 2012 cycle.  Without that kind of focus, the party didn’t have the resources to deal with the Paul organization, and the delegate wins are one consequence.  That’s actually a minor consequence compared to what will happen if the state GOP doesn’t recover in time to organize for its effort in November to hold their legislative advantages, to say nothing of the mission to replace Amy Klobuchar in the US Senate.

Even if the Paul organization managed to steal a march in the caucus states, it’s not likely to damage Mitt Romney, at least not directly.  Rick Santorum was winning more of the caucus states, so the delegates will mostly come from his column, not Romney’s.  The only real threat will be that Paul delegates might embarrass the party at the convention by staging some kind of organized demonstration, but Ron Paul himself would probably keep that from happening; he wants to build the organization so that his son can use it within the GOP, not to excise Rand from the GOP.  And once again, the Paul supporters in the CD-02 convention didn’t aim at disruption at all — just victory for their cause.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Yep, this is what being a conservative in Minnesota is all about. Beautiful state, great fishing, but you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a liberal and the state GOP is cartoonish. I’m not surprised anymore at the state taxes I pay for which I get potholed roads, a massive welfare system, and a choo-choo train that serves the inner city.

Yay for Minnesota. In ten years I’m off to the Carolinas.

Bishop on April 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Ron Paul voters seeking to bring down the GOP proves what traitors they really are starting with their idiot candidate. I hate them all for the way they constantly seek to undermine the party instead of setting up a dialogue. And I really mean it so I’ve no intention of responding to any of the military-hating, anti-American pot heads who support Paul.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Everything’s coming up roses in the Al Franken State, isn’t it Ed?

Though, I do take some measure of glee as a New Yorker to say that my state party may be a shamble but at least it’s not homeless.

KingGold on April 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Ron and the Paulians are about 30% sane and 70% fluked. What does that make them?

HotAirian on April 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Minnesota really is on the cutting edge. Ventura, Franken and Paul.

I really liked it when I was there, but only stayed a few days.

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

He’s also still outraising Romney in 10 states. The Conservatives don’t like the prospect of having to vote for a flip-flopping moderate in November.

popularpeoplesfront on April 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Incontheevable!

Tennman on April 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Yay for Minnesota. In ten years I’m off to the Carolinas.

Bishop on April 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Well, you’d better stay away from the cities down here, cause we’ve got enough NY, NJ, MA and CA liberal Democrats to tip a small Caribbean island.

LoganSix on April 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

KingGold on April 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM

But you do have dudes strolling through Times Square wearing nothing but codpieces and high heels….like the guy who walked by the wife and I while we were seeing the sights.

O_o

Bishop on April 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I understand (and appreciate) your comments – but you have overstated the characteristics of Paul’s supporters. His support is wider than you realize and spreading wider every day.

Albeit – a fraction.

Libertarians are growing in numbers in the USA. People all over the world are sick of being a part of “the global society”.

Again – I am not slamming your comments – I just think you’re missing a growing sentiment out there.

“Get the US Government out of my life”

jake-the-goose on April 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Let’s see, Romney 683 vs Paul’s 104…yep, that Ron Paul is on the way to victory!

lovingmyUSA on April 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I have news for you. This is happening all over the US because the support for Paul is being suppressed. Thousands of votes per primary unreported. Vote fraud on a huge level.
Get ready to be shocked in Tampa.

Beto Ochoa on April 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

LoganSix on April 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I’m after land, rural land where I can shoot and hunt. Preferably near a local joint that serves great ribs and fried chicken and shrimp.

Bishop on April 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM

>I’ve no intention of responding to any of the military-hating, anti-American pot heads who support Paul.
>Happy Nomad

yeah, like this pinhead

popularpeoplesfront on April 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM

LoganSix on April 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Now, now. Guam is in the Pacific, not the Caribbean. :)

KingGold on April 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Ronulans are high up in the Lubbock County(TX) GOP leadership-including the platform committee-and they also control the Tea Party. Though I’ve been politically involved since before I was old enough to vote-I refuse to getting involved in Lubbock politics until the sane conservative leadership takes out the Ronbot trash.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM

popularpeoplesfront on April 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Yep, you suckers keep on giving him money…the delegate count does not support him having ANY chance–even with St. Rick and Newt dropping out. You really think their delegates will swing toward Paul?

lovingmyUSA on April 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Everyone s traitor if they don’t bow down to St. McWillard of Romney. And everyone but Romney is an idiot. Blah blah blah….

angryed on April 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM

angryed on April 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM

And the circle is complete..

lovingmyUSA on April 24, 2012 at 9:40 AM

You fools realize that the way you treat Ron Paul is the way the MSM treats conservatives / TP right?

Sadly the irony is lost on most of you.

angryed on April 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM

angryed on April 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Why so angry red?

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM

And the circle is complete..

lovingmyUSA on April 24, 2012 at 9:40 AM

You make no sense as usual.

angryed on April 24, 2012 at 9:42 AM

It’s nice to see someone in the GOP is organized.

Notorious GOP on April 24, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Sadly the irony is lost on most of you.

angryed on April 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM

But not the entertainment!

Y’all are funny.

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Minnesota – great state – crappy political climate.

The State GOP is a disaster and has been for years.

gophergirl on April 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Minnesota really is on the cutting edge. Ventura, Franken and Paul.

I really liked it when I was there, but only stayed a few days.

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Texas needs to take us over and we can be “North Texas”. You know a winter destination for those Texans who like snow.

I love this state for many reasons – politics would be the one reason that would make me move.

gophergirl on April 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM

So Ron Paul is undermining the party? That’s weird. I thought all along it the GOP Congressman themselves who run on limited government who voted exactly the opposite of that. I guess I was wrong.

Notorious GOP on April 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I love the mental midgetry of Rombots…

Bot: If you vote for Obama it will be a catastrophy because he will tax and spend the country into oblivion.

PaulNut: Uhm, OK, how about Ron Paul then, who wants to drastically cut spending and lower taxes?

Bot: WAAAAHHH!! Talk about a nutjob! Don’t you know a MA liberal is much better equipped to cut spending?

angryed on April 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM

popularpeoplesfront on April 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

What a bunch of mixed up stats trying to find something that doesn’t really exist.

First, here’s what the stats are:

A Smart Politics review of FEC fundraising totals through Q1 2012 finds Ron Paul leads Mitt Romney in large donor itemized fundraising in 10 states

Sound impressive? Erhhh… it isn’t.

For while Romney has raised 88.6 percent of his $85.6 million in individual income from large donors ($75.8 million), Paul has raised just 53.9 percent of his $35.7 million from this group ($19.2 million).

So, for the stat cited, “large donor itemized fundraising”, it’s $75.8 million to Romney and $19.2 million to Paul. Those “conservatives” are really turning out.

strictnein on April 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM

gophergirl on April 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Minnesota needs a wonderful governor like Rick Perry.

Notorious GOP on April 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Given that Mittens is as liberal as the Obamessiah, wouldn’t it make more sense for him to run as a Democrat?

eaglescout_1998 on April 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Here in Colorado, the Paul supporters were well organized and vocal, but not disruptive. I welcome their enthusiasm. It has been a mixed bag, because they had to go up against a lot of motivated Santorum supporters in the caucuses. Delegates usually advertise in slates. It is easy to find out who supports who by perusing the handouts at the convention. Only one Paul delegate made it in the 7th CD, about 3-4 in the whole delegation.

jya lai on April 24, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Angryed is angry today. I hear that psychological therapy oftentimes just doesn’t take, and ed would prove that out.

Bishop on April 24, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Minnesota needs a wonderful governor like Rick Perry.

Notorious GOP on April 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Yes we do. I still think we should trade with Wisconsin – Dayton/Walker even up.

gophergirl on April 24, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Clearly a formula for bringing them into the fold… calling them and their leader idiots.

Don’t quit your day job… whatever that is… in favor of a career in politics.

JohnGalt23 on April 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM

gophergirl on April 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I hereby make you an honorary Texan-shaddup cozmo-and it’s supposed to be 90+ today. I’d rather have mid-50′s.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM

gophergirl on April 24, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Obviously, your sarcasm detector didn’t work.

Notorious GOP on April 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Are the Ron Paul supporters going to vote for Gary Johnson in the general?

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM

popularpeoplesfront on April 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

SO? He won’t be the candidate. He won’t be President. Personally I think Ron Paul is a narcissist just like Obama. He knows he can never win but he still wastes peoples money by running. And I don’t want to hear that story about how he does it to get his ideas across either. He doesn’t need to run for President to do that, he’s been saying this same stuff for years and he talks big but that’s it. What has he accomplished with all this rhetoric and so-called power of the people? Nothing. I suppose it’s sort of idealistic to stand by your so-called beliefs and say that’s better than compromise. And that might be true if it actually accomplished anything, but in Paul’s case it hasn’t. His career is an empty shell of taking our money without giving results.
Someone explain to me why he runs? He’s the Ralph Nader of the Repubs and no, he’s not Conservative…he’s Libertarian. I am ABO but Ron Paul would be at the bottom of my list right ahead of Obama as far as a candidate.

Deanna on April 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I don’t mind people organizing and telling the two parties to get stuffed because the parties are feckless. But Ron Paul isn’t the guy to lead the charge, too weird.

Bishop on April 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Are the Ron Paul supporters going to vote for Gary Johnson in the general?

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Either that or sit out.

Notorious GOP on April 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Obviously, your sarcasm detector didn’t work.

Notorious GOP on April 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Most decent people aren’t Perry hatin’ nuballs.

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Obviously, your sarcasm detector didn’t work.

Notorious GOP on April 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM

OOPS sorry. I didn’t see it as sarcasm. I’d love Rick Perry as my Governor. I was a huge supporter of his as President.

gophergirl on April 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM

The last begrudging hope for small government supporters, apart from Johnson.

mythicknight on April 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM

gophergirl on April 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Some nutballs would prefer Dayton over Perry.

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

OOPS sorry. I didn’t see it as sarcasm. I’d love Rick Perry as my Governor. I was a huge supporter of his campaign as for President.

gophergirl on April 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Fixed – sorry doing 100 things at once

gophergirl on April 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

eaglescout_1998 on April 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

That’s what I said in the beginning. He should have primaried Obama.

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Are the Ron Paul supporters going to vote for Gary Johnson in the general?

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Here;s your answer:

angryed on April 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM

eaglescout_1998 on April 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

At least angry red has some comrades today.

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Most decent people aren’t Perry hatin’ nuballs.

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM

You mean most establishment folks aren’t Perry hatin’ nutballs.

Notorious GOP on April 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Good for the Paultards. Stick a thumb in Princess Willard’s eye!

Meanwhile, over at Camp Entitlement:

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM

You do realize, Nomad, that Ron Paul has a huge following among serving Officers and Enlisted, don’t you?

I love the Romtards: if you don’t vote for Willard Marmalarde, you hate America and you’re some sort of Communist.

victor82 on April 24, 2012 at 9:57 AM

You mean most establishment folks aren’t Perry hatin’ nutballs.

Notorious GOP on April 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Nah, I’m a TEA partyin’ Medina supporter. I just ain’t a Perry hatin’ nutball.

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Get ready to be shocked in Tampa.

Beto Ochoa on April 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Only 12 comments before a Paultard started whining about ‘conspiracies’ and suppression.

catmman on April 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM

You mean most establishment folks aren’t Perry hatin’ nutballs.

Notorious GOP on April 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM

So you’re saying that unless you hate Perry and love Paul, you must be establishment(whatever that is)?

Deanna on April 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM

victor82 on April 24, 2012 at 9:57 AM

They’re worse than Obama sycophants.

angryed on April 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM

catmman on April 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Cut them some slack. Even Paulnuts get a coffee break.

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 9:59 AM

They’re worse than Obama sycophants.

angryed on April 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM

That’s right, protect your true love.

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I’ve heard from some Paul supporters in Minnesota that if they can control the delegations of 5 states at the RNC in Tampa, they can officially have Paul placed on the ballot. The result will still be a foregone conclusion, but being on the ballot at RNC gives Paul a level of credibility he hasn’t had before, and as Ed alludes to, a perfect springboard for his son Rand.

thuljunior on April 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Bishop on April 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Fish is on the coast and chicken is in the Piedmont, I don’t know where the ribs are, pigs are preferred shredded. Plenty of rural land near the northern part of the coast, but good luck trying to find a joint that serves all of those. Probably your best bet is near Pinehurst, because the golfing will attract restaurants and you still can get some rural land and do a quick jump down to Low Country or up to get some Lexington BBQ.

LoganSix on April 24, 2012 at 10:02 AM

a perfect springboard for his son Rand.

thuljunior on April 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM

And for all of his and his upporters talk of being against the “establishment” that is a very “establihment” political thing to do. Too funny and so phoney.

Deanna on April 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM

“Get the US Government out of my life”
jake-the-goose on April 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

That the very small (and sane) part of Paul’s positions I agree with. It does not offset the 98% idiocy nor does it give these supporters of his the right to attempt to scuttle the GOP.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM

This was my first caucus and I was elected a loca delegate and was elected as an alternate in MN CD5. My impression of the caucus system was that it was seriously flawed and the Paul people were able to game the system with very little overall support by beig organized and enthusiastically running as delegates. I hope this idiotic Ron Paul/caucus situation is addressed in MN or the majority of people like myself who aren’t represented by gonzo candidates like Paul are going to stop supporting the Republican party. Someone needs to create a caucus system that ensures it reflects the state’s voters and not who knows the system best.

Conan on April 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I hope I’m wrong, but it’s starting to look like Ron Paul is going to run as a third party candidate. I see no other explanation for why he’s still in this.

Tomolena1 on April 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Hey Ed.

You guys are doing it wrong.

Red Cloud on April 24, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Thing is…WHO does he siphon off more votes from. Is he a Ralph Nader or a Ross Perot?

Tomolena1 on April 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM

OK, I am NOT a Ron Paul Supporter. I’m TEA Party. That said, I have been a delegate to Colorado State Republican Conventions for over 3 decades. And to our Congressional District Conventions. We chose our National Delegates in a similar process a couple of weeks ago, with the CD conventions happening the day before the State Convention. While I only voted for TEA Party and/or Newt delegates, I noted that the Paulians were mickle-organized. And that they remembered 2008 where they were treated like dirt by the Institutionals. They are getting payback, in spades.

In Colorado, the non-Romney delegates ran on various “uncommitted” slates. There was an attempt to rule that delegates could not vote for anyone “uncommitted”. Paul’s people pulled out enough lawyers to kill that. I found it significant that they had the lawyers on-call.

I note similarities between how the Paul people and TEA Party people are treated by the Party elites. Both represent a large chunk of the base, and while the elites believe that in the end everyone will line up and do as they are told; if the elites keep deliberately micturating in their Wheaties they may find that that it is awful lonely some election day.

They don’t have to agree with either group. They should stop bending the rules against them and treat both groups with the respect due their numbers at least.

If they don’t, this will not end well.

YMMV

Subotai Bahadur

Subotai Bahadur on April 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Deanna on April 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM

The only thing phoney is your intelligence. All Rand will have is his daddy, while the Rebumblicans will have billions of dollars worth of influence.

MelonCollie on April 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I see no other explanation for why he’s still in this.

Tomolena1 on April 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Ego.

catmman on April 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Either that or sit out.

Notorious GOP on April 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM

More likely they will vote for Obama, because, well quite frankly they are spoiled immature brats who would just as soon set the entire country on fire as admit that their messiah failed to become the choice of most people.

SWalker on April 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Some nutballs would prefer Dayton over Perry.

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Dayton is a nutball

gophergirl on April 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Holy Cow! An article on hotair about how Ron Paul is picking up delegates! In all seriousness Ed, thank you for posting this article amongst the conservative media blackout of Ron Paul.

I was a delegate to MO CD-3 (central MO) this weekend. The “Evict Obama” slate, which was 2 delegates for Romney and 1 for Santorum, beat out the Paul-Santorum slate which was 2 for Paul and 1 for Santorum. Here are the numbers:

Paul chair 145. Romney chair 149
Paul slate 143. Romney slate 151

It took all of the “pledged” Romney and Santorum delegates combined PLUS a good number of the undecideds to beat Ron Paul by the slimmest of margins. It was disappointing not to receive any delegates, but what a showing!

I thought that the caucus was ran fairly once the non-Paul chair was elected, so no complaints there. The other slate won fair and square, and that’s all us Paul folks have been asking for.

My only bone of contention with this article is that MN is made to look like it is some outlier based upon the disarray in their state GOP. While this may be a contributing factor, Ron Paul is also winning the majority of delegates in other states like IA and OK and probably MN, ME, NV and ND just off the top of my head. That’s what we know right now but I suspect that he will continue to pick up delegates in other states because the Paul people will continue to show up to their conventions.

Like it or not, this is the direction that the party is moving. The future of the party is not the moderates like Romney or Santorum, but it is the liberty movement that Ron Paul espouses. I hope that the GOP wakes up to this fact before it is too late.

iwasbornwithit on April 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Tomolena1 on April 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Of that I’m not sure. But disillusioned lefties are even more influenced by media propaganda, and will probably vote Romney because he’s a kindred spirit at heart.

MelonCollie on April 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM

At least angry red has some comrades today.

cozmo on April 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I didn’t know it would come to giving up the First Amendment to be in the Republican Party. I am not a Ron Paul supporter, but I do have to say that his supporters are much more pleasant than Romney supporters. As far as I know, they haven’t told people they need to just shut up or they are Obama trolls.

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM

3…2…1 – FloatingRock to screech about black helicopters.

Buy Danish on April 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Dayton is a nutball

gophergirl on April 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM

If Ron Paul is insane, Dayton is a candidate for being relocated to a looney bin at an undisclosed location.

MelonCollie on April 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM

iwasbornwithit on April 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Someone who gets a lot of support from neo-Nazis, 9/11 truthers, Holocaust ‘revisionists’, and conspiracy theorists is part of a movement-biut it has NOTHING to do with liberty.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM

[T]he Paul crowd’s leadership, in the district and beyond, sees “70% friends” as “30% enemies”.

Judging from certain Paul supporters here, I’d say they see 70% friends as somewhere around 90% enemies. If you don’t agree with Herr Doktor 100%, you may as well be a commie*.

*An American commie that is. Foreign communists, after all, are just exercising their national sovereignty, and how dare you imperialist warmongers think we have any business trying to defeat them!?!?1

sadarj on April 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Deanna on April 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Know the rules by which they garner power, and make them play by those rules, to the letter

Gee, now what establishmentarian have I heard that from before?

JohnGalt23 on April 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM

So, Paul’s supporters actually put in the effort to learn the system and get their man some representation and yet people act like they did something heinous? Quite telling.

McDuck on April 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The Ronbots around here run around screeching about ‘neo-cons’, how Lincoln was a war criminal, and how the last truly constitutional war…was in 1898.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM

yeah, like this pinhead

popularpeoplesfront on April 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Oh………. the old.. find one vet who’s a lunatic fringe douchbag, saying what you want to hear.. ploy,….

and that totally erases the Anti-military, anti-troops diatribes we’ve seen posted here day after day by delusional Paul fans.. We’ve been called “warmongers and babykillers”, and that really goes over well coming from the gutless wonders in the Paul base.

I can understand libertarian views, and that people who hold those views can be normal, relatively decent people..

So why is it..

Everytime one of the worst stereotypical Paul voters goes all code pink on the troops denouncing them as murderers.. the supposed normal Paul voters.. say nothing?

You do not police your own, refuse to call out the lunatics, the race baiters, the anti-semitic skinheads.. the troop hating rejects..

Where are the supposedly normal decent Paul voters we hear about, but never see when one of theirs wanders into the tall grass on teh crazed?

This the troops love Paul meme is absurd,.. a lie, and it gets repeated endlessy between how much they hate Israel, and when are those warmongers ever going to be called back to the states?

This vet, and every vet I know who I’ve talked too, cannot stand Paul, or his most rabid followers.

mark81150 on April 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

MelonCollie on April 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Hmmm…so want to explain to me why Ron Paul continued to run for an office he knew he couldn’t win? And no story about getting his message across either. He could have done that without running for president. I don’t care that he did, but I hate the sanctimonius crap about his ideals. He’s a politician and just as much a part of the establishment as anyone else.

Deanna on April 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The Paultards have softened since 2008.

Well, some of them have.

Just a few months ago we had a few on the Herr Doktor threads who couldn’t wait to extoll the virtues of their “European whiteness”, call our servicemen, wounded warriors and vets/retirees baby killers and murderers, blame the Jews for 9/11, etc.

Back in 2008, they just threatened you and your family and wanted to burn burn your house down.

So if you’re going to speak of the ‘civility’ of Paultards, please keep those things in mind.

catmman on April 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Finally. During the entire process, while HA was regurgitating the completely useless CNN/MSNBC/Fox/etc delegate counts based on straw polls and ignoring Paul, Paul supporters have been explaining that they have been actually winning entire delegations behind the scenes.

You’ve been having stories not even (or barely) mentioning Paul, even when he was above Newt or Santorum.

And now, finally, we start seeing the real delegate counts, and you are all in a panic. Serves you right. Now, we will get the stories about Paul.

Paul is a member of the party, and he’s bringing plenty of new people into the party (and they understand economics to boot). And you write about fault? Who screwed up? Lots of outrageous outrage, as you would call it – Paul supporters voting out of anger? Anger? Seriously? Who is angry right now? You even wrote that they serve only Paul and not the party – as if they have no ideas, just a cult of personality – and you then mention anger as a bad motive? Did you run stories about how GOP hacks were breaking all the rules of order to screw the Paul campaign? Anger?

First you ignored Paul, and then you laughed at him. Now you’re going to fight him.

Then he will win.

ebrawer on April 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Morrissey once again explains away something that happened in the GOP with which he disagrees. Just accept it, you big baby. Big deal, your idol Mitt Romney didn’t get the delegates. Why are you crying foul? Sissy boy.

libertarianlunatic on April 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

SWalker on April 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I don’t know a single Paul supporter who would vote for Obama. The vast majority will either sit our or vote for Johnson (as I am planning on doing).

I think Romney supporters are more likely to vote for Obama than Paul supporters are, since there is very very little difference between Romney and Obama.

CoffeeMan on April 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

libertarianlunatic on April 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

No need for name-calling, sir. Let us try to be gracious in this victory.

JohnGalt23 on April 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM

McDuck on April 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I wouldn’t say they did anything heinous. Sisyphusian, perhaps, but not heinous.

Here’s what it boils down to for me: Paul’s relative success in the caucuses (?) and state party conventions so far (and forthcoming) has less to do with a groundswell of support for Paul, and more to do with the fact that both caucuses and the nominating process in general is kind of silly. (No offense to passionate party folks who participate in these things regularly).

In Primaries, Paul generally does pretty poorly.

If he can’t get actual votes, there is very little evidence that there is some kind of massive uprising in support of Paul.

RightWay79 on April 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Subotai Bahadur on April 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Good post. You seem way too level-headed not to support Ron Paul :)

I was trying to point this out to my the people from my county. I told them to look around the room and figure out which way this party is going. The demographic differences were staggering and I think that it “scared” some of the older folks to see all of these young people and GASP! MINORITIES voting for Ron Paul. The anti-Paul vote was almost unilaterally old and white. I am NOT saying that there is anything wrong with that…my only point is that looking at that room made it look like the Ron Paul people had a much bigger tent than the Santorum/Romney people.

It sucks when “my guy” loses. Nevertheless, it is much easier to accept if the process is fair and open. There have been countless examples just this year alone of the GOP establishment in various states pulling out every trick in the book to try to frustrate the Paul voters. It is these types of shenanigans that makes people want to leave the party because they cannot even trust that the process is fair by which the party nominee is chosen. Consequently, they feel like their vote within the GOP doesn’t matter or that they are not wanted and naturally, they move on to someone else.

Although I would like to see Ron Paul win, I really want to see the party seriously audit the election processes in the various states to ensure that voters are not being disenfranchised. If not, the GOP will cease to be a viable force in the next 10-15 years due to its most active grassroots members passing away.

iwasbornwithit on April 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM

CoffeeMan on April 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

^ Me either.

When us Paul supporters don’t like the current conservative candidate, our immediate choice is NOT “vote for the liberal candidate”.

If I directly voted for Obama (which =/= voting for Paul/Johnson/etc.) I couldn’t look myself in the mirror each morning without feeling guilty.

MelonCollie on April 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM

McDuck on April 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Who is acting like they did anything heinous? Good on the Ron Paul supporters for learning how the system works, good on them for getting involved.

In our system of governance even crazy neo-Nazi Ron Paul supporters have the right to participate and be a part of the Republic. Hell maybe one day they might even do something good for the country, god knows the political establishment isn’t.

Hopefully being part of the political process will even shake them out of their insanity. Ron Paul supporters aren’t necessarily bad people, they just have chosen a bat$hit insane candidate to rally around and lend their quite admirable loyalty to.

SWalker on April 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM

libertarianlunatic on April 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I thought he was all in the bag for Sweater Vest?

Step away from the bong…

catmman on April 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM

That’s what I always told, and it is worth repeating again. Both the TruCons and the mainstream GOP must understand that badmouthing Ron Paul and his cohorts carries the risk of alienating a very significant, politically active, and extremely volatile population sector. It amazes me why the Republicans believe that they can do it with impunity. Even Democrats, whom I generally refuse to credit with rational behavior, have enough presence of mind not to do so, at least openly.

Once one gets past their foreign and immigration policies (pinching one’s nose hard helps a lot), Paulians are fiscal uber-conservatives who want the government out of their wallets, beds, and bongs. Yes, I’d rather see a new coming of Reagan running in 2012, and no, I’d rather not have Ron Paul anywhere near the War Room, but give the guy credit where credit is due: his fund-raising and organizational skills are formidable and his economic and anti-government platform is Barry Goldwater on steroids.

So keep effing that chicken, guys. It will come home to roost in November.

Archivarix on April 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM

RightWay79 on April 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM

The 800lb 9/11 conspiracist in the room..

Well put.

catmman on April 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I want us out of Afghanistan and I don’t want to go into Syria, but I don’t pretend to be an authority on the subject. I think we waste more money and ruin more people’s lives here than overseas, so I can’t say I agree with their war views. I have read about Ron Paul’s downside (Racists, etc.) mostly from you, but I admit I don’t have enough interest in him to look it up for myself. I just don’t think it does any good to call all Ron Paul supporters nuts, and I don’t like the Romeny supporters attitude that if you don’t agree with everything they say you are a troll.

Night Owl on April 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM

CoffeeMan on April 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I’ll be supporting the GOP nominee against Barack Obama, even if it turns out to be Willard Mitt Romney, and even if not as enthusiastically as I would Dr Paul.

Shame the same can’t be said for so many of those who argued against his candidacy.

JohnGalt23 on April 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Gee, now what establishmentarian have I heard that from before?

JohnGalt23 on April 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM

It doesn’t matter who came up with the rules. If they are used often enough they become part of the establishment. And what Ron Paul does is definitely just like all other politicians, nothing new or different or better. And certainly not less establishment or “elite.” Or why does he have such a long career in Congress?

Deanna on April 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM

What were they smoking?

KOOLAID2 on April 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM

As one of those “true” or “very” conservative voters they poll in the exit surveys I have to love this.Could never vote for Paul because of some of his extreme libertarian views,but wish his campaign the best.Conservatives have two enemies now-the Progressive/Socialists,and the GOP establishment.Got to destroy the latter to have a shot at defeating the former.Let chaos reign!

redware on April 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM

What were they smoking?

KOOLAID2 on April 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Their opponents, that’s what. <|-)

MelonCollie on April 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM