Hey, why not Pawlenty for VP?

posted at 10:17 pm on April 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

I’m 95 percent sure I’ve written about this before and rejected the idea, but darned if I can find the item now in the archives or remember why I didn’t like it. This is what happens when you write 18,000+ posts. (The only reason I know that figure is because today is the site’s sixth birthday and I was curious to check the total. I checked the number of Headlines too but will spare you that as it’s too depressing for light late-night reading.)

Anyway, Romney/Pawlenty. Why not?

Republican insiders say the first priority in selecting a running mate is to “do no harm.” Nobody embodies that mantra better than Pawlenty. He’s not an electrifying politician, but some of the traits that hamstrung him in the primary could be assets for him as Romney’s No. 2. The Minnesotan is steady and stolid, a reliable surrogate whom Romney could count on to skewer Obama without snarling. Likeable and funny, Pawlenty has governing experience, a bootstraps biography and an authentic middle-class mien that could make him a helpful envoy to blue-collar voters in the Rust Belt battlegrounds where Romney has struggled. “Every candidate I know tries to establish some roots in what I call real-world middle America. A lot of them have to invent it. With Tim Pawlenty, it’s real,” Vin Weber, who backed Pawlenty’s presidential bid before becoming an adviser to Romney, told TIME’s Michael Crowley last year. He would be viewed an acceptable choice for Chamber of Commerce conservatives as well as Tea Partyers and Evangelicals.

As a runner-up to Sarah Palin for a slot on the GOP ticket in 2008, Pawlenty has already been vetted. “In any normal year, Tim Pawlenty’s a great pick, a no-brainer,” strategist Steve Schmidt told McCain. Four years ago, McCain felt he needed a spark to compete against Obama’s historic campaign. This time around, with Obama vulnerable and early polls presaging a tight contest, many Republican insiders say Romney should play it safe. Pawlenty, who endorsed Romney shortly after dropping out the race last summer and has served as the campaign’s national co-chair, is as safe as they come. And while Beltway handicappers are placing their bets on Ohio Senator Rob Portman, Pawlenty is a Midwesterner with more blue-collar appeal and without the baggage of Bush Administration ties.

I think my objection to Romney/Pawlenty initially was that it would be the most bland, boring ticket ever, a personality vacuum in a year when O is looking to exploit the likability gap. But I was wrong. Romney/Portman would be at least as bland and boring as that, and unlike Pawlenty, Portman has no executive experience. His resume is solid — congressman, OMB chief, and senator for the past 15 months — but I have no idea if he’d be a solid exec or a solid communicator as president, which will be important in selling deficit reduction and entitlement reform to the public. Maybe that’s a simple matter of having not been exposed to him much? I’m more comfortable with Pawlenty because I’ve watched him campaign whereas Portman is a near-total cipher to me, but that’ll obviously change once RP is out on the trail. Even so, it’s not clear to me why Portman is a better “safe” pick than T-Paw on the merits. Is there any strong argument to prefer him apart from the increased likelihood of winning Ohio? (Which is a pretty strong argument, admittedly.)

One more question. With the possible exception of Portman, is it safe to say that Pawlenty’s better qualified than any other likely VP pick? Rubio and Susana Martinez are appealing but there’s no hard proof that they’ll significantly move the Latino vote, and T-Paw spent far longer as governor than either of them has as senator or governor, respectively. Christie comes from the same region as Romney, also has less experience than Pawlenty, and would be a risk to overshadow the nominee. As big of a Paul Ryan fan as I am, he has no experience beyond the House and might prove to be a genuine liability on the ticket depending upon how well the Democrats demagogue his budget. Pawlenty, I think, is the ultimate “do no harm” guy. So, why not?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I take ‘comfort’ in the knowledge that I’ve been here longer than AP and Ed. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM

whaaaat, was there a HA before Ed and AP? unfathomable :-)…

jimver on April 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM

We have an awful nominee, but we may be able to escape a completely unpalatable ticket if we avoid Portman, Pawlenty, or Christie. besser tot als rot on April 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM

There isn’t a person in the country with Romney’s combination of educational qualifications, business acumen and experience, executive skills, conservative values and basic decency. Romney will be a great President who will govern as conservatively as he can. He is exactly what America needs now. Not everyone appreciated this months ago, but it’s never too late to recognize the obvious.

Basilsbest on April 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Just needs to be somebody who can hold his or her own in debate against Biden.

Just needs to be a body.

de rigueur on April 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Romney/Jindal!

itsnotaboutme on April 24, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I really like that-except that Jindal likes being gov. of LA.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Chuck Krauthammer says a well-placed horse’s head will do the trick.

itsnotaboutme on April 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM

You’ve been here longer than I have, I think. You still comment just about every day that I’m here, but you don’t engage other commenters the way you used to, or am I wrong?

jaime on April 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I didn’t know I had a reputation for engaging other commenters. Thanks? I am basically going for the “commenter with the most comments” award. So many others are way better than I am at refuting our new trolls. I’ll let them take it on.

SouthernGent on April 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Basilsbest on April 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM

You left out his number one quality:

He’s not Obama.

itsnotaboutme on April 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Romney/Jindal!

itsnotaboutme on April 24, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I really like that-except that Jindal likes being gov. of LA.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Chuck Krauthammer says a well-placed horse’s head will do the trick.

itsnotaboutme on April 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Wrong bed. CK says pick Rubio.

Basilsbest on April 24, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I didn’t know I had a reputation for engaging other commenters.

SouthernGent on April 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I don’t know that you had a reputation. I just recall you engaging a bit more when I first started commenting here. That was years ago, though, so maybe my memory fails me. Anyway, I usually try to read what you write.

Too bad about Bachmann not lasting ’till now, but I think Romney will be a good candidate.

jaime on April 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Basilsbest on April 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM

You left out his number one quality:

He’s not Obama.

itsnotaboutme on April 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Only a moron would not vote against Obama, but you are selling Mitt short.

He won the GOP Nomination in the face of opposition from Limbaugh, Palin, Levin, Hannity, Ingraham, Hot Air, Free Republic, Weekly Standard, American Spectator, Red State and countless other conservative opinion makers. It took a formidable candidate to do that.

Basilsbest on April 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Hey, why not Pawlenty for VP?

Well, Mittens isn’t gonna win Massachusetts, and Minny was, is, and forever shall be Blue as Blue can be, so why not T-Paw?

Sounds like a plan to me.

Weren’t gonna get the EV’s anyhow, so what the heck, eh?

Bruno Strozek on April 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Hey, why not Pawlenty for VP?

This is all I can think of when I hear this.

Branch Rickey on April 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Dick Cheney would certainly get my vote…I love him.

So damn smart. I could listen to him speak for hours on end.
Never grasping for a word or thought…everything is total recall.
I wish I was brilliant like that.

Having someone “brown” on the ticket is expected today to show “diversity” but it seems we’re pandering.
It is what it is, balkanmom.

My mother is Indian…the Bombay* kind.
We’re all colors in the family but competency was always stressed.
To be smart and efficient like Americans.
*P.S. – Who the hell changed the great name of Bombay to Mumbai?
Sounds like some backwater in Africa.
All the old great movies from the ’40′s, with the mysterious Bombay mentioned, and then they change it to be more Indian. That’s crap.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 24, 2012 at 11:50 PM

SouthernGent on April 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Anyway, I usually try to read what you write.

jaime on April 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM

lulz And by that I don’t mean that sometimes your comments are impossible to read!

It’s just that when I skim down the comment pages I only stop to read certain commenters, you almost always.

jaime on April 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Well, I suppose Romney/Pawlenty would be my choice if Jeb Bush, Bobby Jindal, Rudy Giuliani, etc. etc. all turned down the job. He is competent, but he won’t secure a state like Bush, he will not be a good set-up for a follow on presidency like Jindal who would still be in his 50′s at the end of 16 years and he won’t be a forceful salesman who can draw his own crowds like Giuliani. But he would not cost you votes like some of the firebrands might.

KW64 on April 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I agree, he’d be a great choice.

cat_owner on April 24, 2012 at 11:53 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM

You’ve been here longer than Ed. Unless you’re the Boss Emeritus, however, you haven’t been here longer than AP.

Steve Eggleston on April 24, 2012 at 11:54 PM

GEE – Look who Allahpundit is “Cheering” for for VP!!

Shocker – eh?

williamg on April 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

jaime on April 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Thank you very much. That is very flattering.

SouthernGent on April 25, 2012 at 12:03 AM

CONTENT WARNING!

This is what I think of when I think of people who cheer for “squish’s”:

williamg on April 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

CONTENT WARNING!

This is what I think of when I think of people who cheer for “squish’s”:

williamg on April 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

That’s what I’m talkin’ about!

Gerard Butler on his knees and he’s going to bring down a reign of terror on these bastids!

Thanks, williamg.
I’m already worked up after watching Top Shot tonight and Top Ten Tank Battles, I’ve seen at least a dozen times.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I like T-Paw. He was my first choice (followed by Romney and Daniels). There is much to recommend him, especially on a “competent, non-flashy executive” ticket.

But not giving the Veep nod to Jindal would be simply moronic, and I’m appalled at how infrequently his name seems to come up. Highly successful, popular governor, who turned a cesspool into a viable concern. Solidly (but non-rabidly) Conservative, affable but not smarmy, etc., etc.

And, not insignificantly, being of Indian descent, who better to subtextually underscore the special relationship between our nations…and thus to send a message that Pakistan cannot fail to note.

Noocyte on April 25, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Sure. Go ahead with that losing ticket. Especially if you like some cap and trade and paying taxes by the mile with the govt installed mileage tracker. If that’s the ticket, I’m voting third party.

AH_C on April 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM

CONTENT WARNING!

This is what I think of when I think of people who cheer for “squish’s”:

williamg on April 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

That’s what I’m talkin’ about!

Thanks, williamg.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Well………aren’t you the Wild One! Like it!

williamg on April 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Hey, why not Pawlenty for VP?

Hey, why not Milquetoast Brothers Campaign!

Kini on April 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM

The GOP doesn’t want anyone solidly Conservative, Noocyte.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Noocyte on April 25, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I agree with all of this. But I think the country would be better served by having Jindal at HHS (if he would take it). Whether or not ObamaCare is thrown out, the entire health care/health insurance system has to be revamped, starting with Medicare and Medicaid. I can’t imagine anyone better equipped to take that on.

Just Sayin on April 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM

So we will have TWO 2008 runners up on the ticket. Perfect. I can just smell victory. That is what I am smelling, right????

Dan Pet on April 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Perhaps some of the other Rino’s here – Like RINOINO will like this…..

Heed the words of “Pigpen” of The Grateful Dead:

“If you fall in my di-rection, don’t ‘spect No HELP AT ALL!!….”

williamg on April 25, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I should have said: “Heed the Immortal Words of “Pigpen” of The Grateful Dead.”

williamg on April 25, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Basilsbest on April 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I agree completely. I wasn’t all that keen on Romney. I wish I had done the research I did on him late this winter back in 2008. We missed a great opportunity in 2008 to possibly prevent Obama from having been elected but we blew it by nominating McCain. Now I sincerely regret not taking him seriously.

President Romney is going to be one of the best leaders this country has seen in a very long time.

crosspatch on April 25, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Pawlenty is OK, but didn’t we just have this same thread this morning?

crosspatch on April 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I believe Romney’s running mate will not be a career politician. It might be someone who has served a term in government, probably the executive branch, maybe someone who has run and failed to win, but most importantly, I believe it will be someone with some real world private sector experience.

crosspatch on April 25, 2012 at 2:18 AM

18,000+ posts.

Dude.

Dude.

Purple Fury on April 25, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Romney 2012: Boring is in. So is the Individual Mandate. /s

DannoJyd on April 25, 2012 at 2:41 AM

crosspatch on April 25, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Mini-Sketchy? ROTFL!

DannoJyd on April 25, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Pawlenty brought to MN a mandate for 20 percent of our electricity from renewables, and a 20 percent ethanol — E20, (pending approval of the EPA.)

Dasher on April 25, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Pawlenty brings nothing to Romney! Rubio could win him Florida!! Real tough choice.

Dollayo on April 25, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Think Romney/Huntsman

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Remember Pawlenty couldn’t even buy votes for the Iowa strawpole. His MN gov record was so strong they elected a D to succeed him. He claimed the Tea Party, but they really were having “none of it”. T-Paw won’t even guarantee MN for the R ticket.

He needs someone the Tea Party can back strongly like Sen Tom Coburn MD (OK) to show he is serious about healthcare reform and fiscal reform. Read Coburn’s reports.

KenInIL on April 25, 2012 at 6:09 AM

T-Paw would be OK. I would prefer Ryan, Rubio, Jindal or especially Christie to him.

MJBrutus on April 25, 2012 at 6:13 AM

crosspatch on April 25, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I don’t think that the GOP had a chance in 2008. The election was a referendum on the Bush years, especially the wars. Whoever the GOP nominee was, he would have lost to some brain-dead community agitator (and did). Not that McCain was any kind of candidate, but I don’t think it mattered.

I completely agree with you and BB. President Romney is going to be a fantastic POTUS! He will join Paul Ryan as one of the few badly needed grown ups in DC. There is no one with a better understanding of both government and business. He understands, like nobody else, what factors private enterprise weighs when they make their decision to put capital at risk and which government policies have tipped the balance against business and thus economic growth. Mitt will restore our prosperity by returning our nation to a place where people will once again decide to invest in this country.

MJBrutus on April 25, 2012 at 6:21 AM

No Pawlenty, now. You’re not required to take a cipher on as VP. Let’s be practical and balance the ticket. Someone from south of the M-D line. Minnesota might as well be Vermont with roads. Steal a march on the Left ethnically but forget that and Rubio still fits the Bill. The Reds will howl. It’d be sweet. And Rubio wouldn’t be McCain-constrained like Palin was. He’d be out there mixing it up. Would Pawlenty? Then, Rubio-Ryan in 2020. For that I might even consider becoming a Republican again.

curved space on April 25, 2012 at 6:57 AM

a no-brainer,” strategist Steve Schmidt told

Well, if that treasonous piece of garbage says no brainer, then it probably isn’t such a good idea.

MNHawk on April 25, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Why not T-Paw?

Why not?

Why?

(Yawn)

insidiator on April 25, 2012 at 7:34 AM

No it is not. Bobby Jindal has been an official in HHS (not a bad background for beating down Obamacare). Jindal has been in the Congress. Bobby Jindal has done an outstanding job as governor of a Southern state. He has a nice family (actually delivered the last child) and is not another white male on the ticket.

Whether Jindal wants the job is another matter but he, from what I can see is the best qualified and best positioned to add energy to President Romney’s ticket.

Happy Nomad on April 25, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Think Romney/Huntsman

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Think harder! Two Mormons on the same ticket? The faux-Christian/closet Muslim in the White House would turn the election into a war on religion and especially the LDS.

Happy Nomad on April 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Hey, why not Pawlenty for VP?

Because he isn’t a Constitutionalist; he’s a big government authoritarian.

Dante on April 25, 2012 at 8:04 AM

The pick will be palenty when it should be Sarah Palin. Put palenty/palin/rubio in 3 different cornfields and see who gets the most people showing up. Also, knock off the crap about Palin “doing harm” when she beat the crap out of joey bite me in the debate and was the sole reason McClame/Palin were winning in mid-september 2008.

Mr. Sun on April 25, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Minnesota Republicans just endorsed Ron Paul by their stupid system

Amen.

Here are a few reasons to oppose Pawlenty:

1. He endorsed Romney in September 2011 and had 6 months to bring his own state into the Romney column. Instead, he either didn’t lift a finger or was ignored. As a consequence, Romney was humiliated in Minnesota in March.

2. Pawlenty can’t carry water in his own backyard. He adds nothing to the ticket. People in Iowa or Wisconsin don’t give a damn about Pawlenty.

3. Attack dog as vp — this guy doesn’t have it. Along with Norm Coleman, Pawlenty as Governor allowed Franken and Mark Ritchie, the corrupt SOS, to STEAL the Minnesota senate race in 2008.

matthew8787 on April 25, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Pawlenty, who endorsed Romney shortly after dropping out the race last summer and has served as the campaign’s national co-chair, is as safe as they come.”

White Bread: No flavor, texture, or appeal.
Boring² + Boring³
Caspar Milquetoast + Willy Loman
Poorly Coiffed Wimp + Bald Wimp
And this, this is what the GOP thinks will topple ChicagØbama?
Only in the dreams of their fathers.
ChicagØbama will roll ‘em both like a cheap old tire.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I’m hard pressed to come up with a VP pick more uninspiring than TPaw. I didn’t like him much as a candidate for President, either.

I lean more toward someone with DC experience who would excite the base. Rubio fits that bill, but I could live with another governor, provided that it’s someone the base can get fired up about and they can help move a swing state in Romney’s direction.

While it’s true we want someone who will do no harm, we also want someone who is an asset to the ticket. TPaw is not an asset. He’s a yawn and a ho-hum. No VP pick will be decisive to the nationwide electorate, but a point or two in the right state could help.

DRayRaven on April 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM

He could do worse. Pawlenty was one of my top choices in the early goings of the campaign.

dczombie on April 25, 2012 at 9:11 AM

One answer: T-Paw coined Obamneycare.

Other than that, executively, I think he’s a great pick and a guy who could carry out what Mitt wanted to accomplish. Mitt doesn’t want drama. T-Paw brings no drama.

beatcanvas on April 25, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Mr. Sun on April 25, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I don’t think Mittens would ever pick a VP who would make him look like a shriveled balloon by comparison.

swinia sutki on April 25, 2012 at 9:58 AM

It’s the end if either Portman or Pawlenty is picked for VP. We’re already on thin ice, and this would be a disaster.

TruLevinian on April 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I’m more comfortable with Pawlenty because I’ve watched him campaign

If “watched him campaign” means “watched him get chewed up and spat out by Michele Bachmann after he decided to make her his only oppenent in the primary race”, yeah, I watched that too. I really enjoyed it.

What were the talking points for defending him on his era of small government is over remarks, again? I’ll need to write it down so that I can defend candidate Pawlenty if he is somehow selected.

Buddahpundit on April 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Why not?

Well, how did Pawlentymentum do in the home state for Romney? Er, not so good.

Well, how is Pawlenty’s R leadership doing in State of Minnesota and the Republican party? Er, not so good as over 20 of 24 delegates went to, yep, Ron Paul.

Nice guy and a nice guy for a cabinet job, but not for VP.

bumsteaddithers on April 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Jindal:
Extremely likeable (just watch any video of him and not smile)
Competent during all of his past service in government (having handled both the Katrina aftermath and the BP Oil Spill)
Willing to take on the President when he needed without being incendiary (See BP oil spill)
Southern

Don’t discount him on the basis of a bad speech in an empty room. It would be awkward for just about anyone.

blammm on April 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Forget Pawlenty. Mitt needs someone who is really good on the stump, someone who is not afraid to say what he thinks, and someone with a boatload of ideas:

Newt!

Think of it: Romney/Gingrich! Mitt could take the high ground and the TV debates; Newt could follow The Puppet President around like a hungry hound ‘truth squad’, essentially cutting the wires to The Puppet’s teleprompter.

The only problem might be that, like Christie, he could overshadow Mitt.

MrLynn on April 25, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Who cares who the establishment candidate picks for VP. We’ve already seen this played out before and Obama wins! You fools nominated the “hold your nose and vote for the lesser of two evils” candidate once AGAIN. We just did this 4 years ago and lost! Now all you self annointed “conservatives” will obey the orders of the establishment and fall in line, throw your principles out the window and praise this liberal as the best thing since Ronald Reagan…Pathetic! Continue listening to those morons on talk radio and Fox News…you see where it’s gotten you so far.

dom89031 on April 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Pawlenty goes from Obamneycare to Romney’s #1 fan in, what, a week? Spineless, unprincipled political hack. I say no way.

besser tot als rot on April 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM

“Romney/Pawlenty. Why not?”

Remember “ObamneyCare”? Remember the way Pawlenty totally wussed when it came to saying it to Romney’s face?

The VP is supposed to be the hatchet man. Pawlenty isn’t cut out to play that role.

Romney’s going to get demagogued on the Ryan budget no matter what. Much better to have someone who can actually defend it, and make both Biden and Obama look like ignorant chumps in the process.

Greg Q on April 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM

TruLevinian on April 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Portman is also unacceptable. If there is anyone who is responsible for ramming Romney down our throats, it is Portman. And he’s intimately complicit in Bush’s profligate spending. No way.

besser tot als rot on April 25, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I like Jindal for VP the best, followed by Pawlenty. I’m really focused on executive experience right now. Both Jindal and Pawlenty have solid records as governors. Much better to keep Portman in the Senate and (especially) Ryan in the House.

One more thing. Some commentors have reminded us that VP nominees are typically the hatchet men, making the harsh attacks that the presidential candidates avoid. I don’t think we need that right now. Obama is so much his own hatchet man that the contrast to the Republican ticket would make him look more petulant and thin-skinned than ever.

Fafhrd on April 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM

SouthernGent on April 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM

For what it’s worth, I don’t recall you engaging people here much. You seem to be better at delivering some great one-liners. I’ll have to second the poster who stops to read your posts. You’re one of the HA staples as far as I’m concerned.

Esthier on April 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Just needs to be somebody who can hold his or her own in debate against Biden.

Just needs to be a body.

de rigueur on April 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Not that this will mean her selection – but, Sarah Palin has already proven that she can do that. Actually, she proved she can destroy Biden in a debate.

williamg on April 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Agreed. Also, Ryan’s so crucial to rescuing our economy and our future where he is right now. He’s barely into his 40s, so he has plenty of time to gain executive experience after retiring from the House, and then moving on to a Presidential bid in the 2020s.

Sowell Disciple on April 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Hey, why not Pawlenty for VP?
…so the election will be between DUMB and DUMBER vs. BORING and MORE BORING ?????

TeaPartyNation on April 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM

“why not Pawlenty for VP?”

1 Well, recognition for one thing.
2 Because Romney is so drab (we don’t need a x2), to keep voters awake, a recognizable conservative rock star is vital as VP-Example: Rubio

MaiDee on April 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Take it from someone who lives in Minnesota, T-Paw is an awful choice. He is definitely not a conservative. Some people point to his high points as governor in a blue state as a selling point, but remember – he got those high points in a BLUE STATE. What does that tell you? A few things have stuck in my mind during T-Paw’s reign:

1) His Greenhouse Gas initiatives and cap and trade. He started a Midwest cap and trade system and was the head of it.

2) Passing the ban on smoking in restaurants and bars – no spine.

3) When the people of Minnesota voted against public funding of a sports stadium, he over-rode the vote and forced people to pay taxes anyway.

He’s just another RINO.

jostrow on April 25, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Hey, why not Pawlenty for VP?

While there are many reasons, politically speaking, Pawlenty can’t even guarantee Minnesota’s few electoral votes let alone any other states. Also a Presidential candidate wants someone to cover their weak points. Pawlenty and Romney are too similar, both are very “moderate” and milk toastish except for Pawlenty’s passion about Al Gore’s global warming, hardly a vote getting theme for a Republican ticket.

RJL on April 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I’m more comfortable with Pawlenty because

ed wants to be his press secretary and with ed gone I may be able to ask for a big raise.

peacenprosperity on April 26, 2012 at 9:24 AM