Today’s outrage: Romney looking forward to more vacations in … France

posted at 3:24 pm on April 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Confirmed: He’s a RINO.”

No, I kid. Romney’s fondness for France is, I think, already common knowledge among righty activists thanks to Newt running one of the dumbest attack ads of the primaries against him back in January. It’s not purely academic either: He spent two and a half years there in his early 20s on his LDS mission and evidently liked it enough that he’s willing to give this answer even now, despite the fact that “French” has always been a byword for elitism in some parts of America. Kind of nice to see him being unabashedly honest, the political consequences be damned. The lefties at HuffPo and Daily Kos have seized on the clip as evidence of hypocrisy because Romney once criticized The One for taking “elaborate vacations” as president, but watch and you’ll see that that’s a red herring. Romney never says he wants an “elaborate” vacation (unless all French getaways are inherently elaborate) and he never says he’d take vacation there during his presidency. What this is about is clear enough from this aside in ABC’s write-up:

“The best memories were with my wife on vacations from time to time in France,” said Romney, who has been criticized for being “out of touch” and has made several comments that have highlighted his wealth during his campaign.

Just the ol’ “France = elitism” charge coopted for the Democrats’ messaging about Romney’s wealth. (In the dKos post, he’s referred to at one point as “Mr. Car Elevator.”) The GOP had fun using John Kerry’s Frenchiness against him eight years ago, but anti-French sentiment was much higher then because of their opposition to the war. If Romney had to run in an age of “freedom fries,” would he have given this same answer?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Shut up, already.

MadisonConservative on April 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Wearing my Please Don’t Feed the Trolls T-shirt today.

Go thou and do likewise.

apostic on April 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

McWillard could live in a 100K sq ft house in France every day for all I care. Just don’t pretend he’s not a near billionaire aloof Wall St executive who has zero understanding of the average person’s needs.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I didn’t realize 200-250 mil makes one a “near billionaire”. Is that like how folks making 250 grand a year are now considered millionaires by the Obama administration?

BTW, how does Obama understand the average person’s needs?

Doughboy on April 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

He responded to a question from a “member of the foreign press” about his memories of France. What other answer could he have given other than to dwell on his time there as a missionary (which I don’t think he has particularly fond memories of)?

Buy Danish on April 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Another hijacked thread.

He’s fishing for you people, and you’re biting.

He’s laughing at you.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM

And I’m laughing at a him. He reveals more of himself every time he does this…

Alas, I suppose you are right that we shouldn’t feed the troll. That’s enough for today.

Gingotts on April 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Sheryl, eat your heart out.

steebo77 on April 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I don’t this is a France problem. This is a “occasional vacations” problem.

Earth to Mitt! Most people can’t jet around the globe for a few days here and there to visit their favorite cities.

BocaJuniors on April 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Michelle Obama enjoys Paris privilege barred to millions in France: Sunday shopping

After arranging separate flights to return to the US…

obladioblada on April 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM

You might wanna check in on the recent election news there…

verbaluce on April 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

You mean the fact that center-left Sarkozy is now forced forced to look far right to win in May?

sheikh of thornton on April 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Yeah, this was the first or second daily poll from Gallup that showed Obama slightly ahead but basically within the MOE, causing you to ejaculate over a thread that had nothing to do with polling.

Rasmussen also has Obama’s daily approval rating down from -13 yesterday to -19 today. The polls are close, moron. And it’s April.

The Count on April 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

LOL.

The RomneyAir guide to understanding Gallup polls:

When McWillard is up 2% in April it means
– the election is over
– Willard will win by 9%

When McWillard is down 3% in April it means
– too early for polls
– bbbbut Rasmussen says

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Riiiiiiight. When I say crackhead your first thought is upper middle class white man.
angryed on April 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM

My first thought is a person who does a lot of crack. You are the one injecting a racial componant – and a decidedly bigoted one at that.

tommyboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM

So when Obama goes to Aspen it’s “LOOK WHAT AN ELITIST HE IS” but when McWillard vacations in the South of France, it’s Meh, no biggie.

I love the consistency of HotGassers.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM

When has Mitt Romney whined that he wasn’t born with a silver spoon in his mouth? I must have missed that. The fact is, Romney is a self-made multi-millionaire and he likes to live well. AFAIK, Romney has never affected a ghetto accent, or referred to his wife as his baby mama, or repeatedly told bald-faced lies about how he was raised by a single mother on welfare who died because she couldn’t get health insurance. Obama, on the other hand, loves to constantly remind us all that he’s just a regular guy — as he and the wifey are jetting off (at a cost of millions of taxpayer dollars) to exclusive resorts in Martha’s Vineyard, Hawaii, the Costa del Sol, etc.

AZCoyote on April 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Why do the fine folks at HotAir allow the antics of “bloggers” like angryed? They don’t engage in honest debate and they are unimaginative in their comments and opinions.

gatorboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM

The fact is, Romney is a self-made multi-millionaire
AZCoyote on April 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM

No he isn’t. His father was CEO of an auto company. Nobody whose father is a CEO of a publicly traded major American auto company is a self made anything.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

gatorboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I wonder that too. He’s obviously trolling.

changer1701 on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Yeah. Like rioting “urban immigrant youths” torching cars and looting businesses. Unfortunately, politics tends to wander back into your life when you live in a country that does not take threats seriously.

MadisonConservative on April 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Preaching to the choir. I moved back so as not to raise my kids in their school system. Or have any more in their healthcare system. :(

We used to joke that the easiest way to de-ice the parking lot would be to enrage some of the local hooligans so they’d set a car on fire.

Nevertheless, living there was fine. There are any number of things I enjoy every time I go back (several times a year, for work). My dear friends commiserate with me about both our elections and their own.

There’s no reason to “hate visiting France” other than blind foolishness and xenophobia. Living there… well, I could complain for a long time. But there was a lot to love there as well.

Prufrock on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Boring.

Not newsworthy.

More to come…all summer long.

I filled up my car last night and hit the grocery…my house is 60% underwater and I know several people that can’t find a job.
That is my focus..not where mittens likes to vacation.

bazil9 on April 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM

A nice place to visit…

d1carter on April 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Living like a crackhead who just won the lottery while you are supposed to be leading the free world out of despair is generally considered poor form.

tommyboy on April 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Obama did use cocaine, although not in crack form. I had never thought of crackhead as a racist epithet. Perhaps angryed is projecting.

Romney is a near billionaire aloof old white guy who likes trips to France and loves to fire people. You picked yourself a sure winner boys and girls against a backdrop of recession and the first black president.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM

That looks to be one of the most racist comments I have seen on Hotair. It’s a good reminder that Obama’s main qualification was his race, and that he was promoted by the media because of his race and has been held to an unbelievably low standard because of his race. Despite the very low standard to which he is being held he is failing to meet it. Are we supposed to run someone even less competent because the incumbent is black?

talkingpoints on April 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM

at least he’s paying for it himself….and hey, France is the best vacation destination possible in Europe :-)…and I have no bias :-)….

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Black 81%

Yeah, referring to the president as a crackhead had nothing to do with the fact he’s black.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Until you posted this, I had no idea that most crackheads where black. But then the racial identity of a criminal is not the first thing that leaps to mind.

Actually the racial identity of the president is not the first thing that leaps to my mind when I think of him, either. I let the content of the character not the color of the skin tell me what I need to know about someone.

Lily on April 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Educate yourself. :)

Prufrock on April 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I’m sorry, I already maxed out my Outrageous Outrage card.

And as long as Romney does it on his own dime, he can enjoy vacations anywhere he likes and in any lavish style he prefers. The same goes for Obama, as long as he does so on his dime. When I’m paying for it with my hard earned money, and the Feds are nabbing about four pretty lavish trips to France worth of cash from my paychecks, then I reserve the right to remain outraged at the excessive vacations and expense of same. That also goes for any President of any party.

gravityman on April 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

So sad, the angry one only has one talking point. Spccial Ed, can you at least come up with some fresh stuff?
Too bad that the Bamster doesn’t use his money to take his vacations. Would be interesting to see how many and where he took the family, when the didn’t have the luxury for Moochie to stay home.

uncommon sense on April 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I love the consistency of HotGassers.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Obama’s using taxpayers’ money for his vacations, he’s the ultimate moocher…he thinks America owes him…

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM

gatorboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Cuz AE is the chum…the fishes come and get hooked.

bazil9 on April 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Wait, doesn’t this just make Romney an engaged and informed citizen of the world like Obama?

JavelinaBomb on April 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM

MadisonConservative on April 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Another point — your perception is similar to many foreign perceptions of the US, which is overrun with violence and gangs, except that everyone lives in hipster lofts in New York. Don’t get trapped in the Narrative, which is almost always a foolish and trashy façade over the complexities of reality.

At least, in my experience.

Prufrock on April 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

You people can spin away all you want. Fact is all these stories you’re dismissing as inconsequential add up. I love to fire people. I spend my free time in France. My wife drives Cadillacs. All paints a picture of a rich snob.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Okay, various thoughts.

While I am not a fan of French politics, and find some of the nations cultural attitudes annoying, I could understand why some people consider it an attractive vacation spot.

As for people arguing about the polls.

First, Gallop lately has had Romney up more often then not, and there is a certain amount of static in tracking polls. As for Rassmussen, despite AngreyED’s assertion, they’re actually one of the better pollsters. NateSilver, the same person that asserted that Rassmussen was very wrong in 2010, still rates Rassmussen as one of the most accurate pollsters out there. Honestly, either way I take Nate Silvers analysis with a grain of salt, not only has he been wrong more often then he’d care to admit, but he still insists that PPP of all people has a slight right-wing bias, despite being a democratic pollster.

In short, trying to create a panic based off a single days tracking poll this far from the actual election, is petty at best. Anybody that knows anything about polls and how elections work aren’t going to panic THIS early on.

WolvenOne on April 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I wonder that too. He’s obviously trolling.

changer1701 on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I think it’s time for angry ed to be angryed, as in past tense. Can whoever turned in L4L refer this cockroach to Mr. Morrissey for extermination?

The Count on April 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM

The Count on April 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Sorry to interrupt your Romney c/j with pesky things like facts.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Talk about inconsistency. You liberal fools have spent years telling us how Obama’s Harvard JD is proof of his brilliance, but Mitt Romney’s Harvard JD and Harvard MBA apparently appeared under his Christmas tree as gifts from his wealthy father. And I guess Mitt’s dad also impersonated his son at Bain Capital, because obviously Mitt didn’t do any work there either.

But I can understand your reluctance to acknowledge Mitt’s many accomplishments, especially when they’re contrasted to Obama’s serial failures at being a community organizer, running the Annenberg Challenge, and now being a disaster as president.

AZCoyote on April 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I guarantee that most of these so-called journalists are vacationing in France and sending there kids to Europe before they go off to college as this seems to be the new trend now.
Someone from “the New Media should start digging up information on the journalists and throw tweet the hypocrisy for all to see.

redridinghood on April 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM

We love what an obtuse and dishonest douche you are.

NotCoach on April 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

LOL.

The RomneyAir guide to understanding Gallup polls:

When McWillard is up 2% in April it means
– the election is over
– Willard will win by 9%

When McWillard is down 3% in April it means
– too early for polls
– bbbbut Rasmussen says

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Care to cite any examples? Most folks on here acknowledge the election will be close unless the economy goes into the tank before November. I don’t know anyone who’s said(at least not seriously) that Romney will by 9 points. That would be an electoral massacre by the GOP.

As for Rasmussen, I’ll reiterate what I said earlier. He nailed the outcome of the 2008 Presidential election. He has a reliable method of polling likely voters which means his sample is far more accurate than the ones used by other pollsters who routinely rely on either adults or registered voters and often use absurd figures like the D+9 numbers of that WaPo/ABC poll a couple weeks ago. Even in 2008, the turnout wasn’t skewed that heavily toward Dems.

Doughboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

The Count on April 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM

You kidding? Just AngryEd’s page views are bankrolling the whole site. Not to mention the reloads every time someone takes him out behind the woodshed.

Prufrock on April 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

How can John McCain make Sarah Palin his Vice Presidential pick the woman probably hasn’t even had a passport until this last year = not worldly enough to be Vice President.

Mitt Romney’s has vacationed in France = too worldly.

Where’s Goldilocks, we need to find the candidate that’s just right.

Dr Evil on April 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Why do the fine folks at HotAir allow the antics of “bloggers” like angryed gatorboy? They don’t engage in honest debate and they are unimaginative in their comments and opinions.

gatorboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Pot – meet kettle.

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM

angryed: I know facts, and I know you. You do not, in fact, share any portion of your family tree with facts.

Vanceone on April 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM

WTF is wrong with being rich?I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t like being rich.When the lottery pot gets huge nearly everyone in the country buys tickets trying to get RICH.

docflash on April 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM

“Well, there’s no accounting for taste.

Valkyriepundit on April 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM”

Pray, do tell of your experiences of France.

EnglishRogue on April 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

AZCoyote on April 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

And I love how you people say Ivy League educated people are the cause of all our problems. But then point to McWillard’s Ivy League education as proof of his greatness.

Romney = Obama. Even their degrees are identical.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Pot – meet kettle.

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM

It’s nice to see co-workers backing each other up.

Prufrock on April 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

This is really a non-story … Romney isn’t going to France because he doesn’t need to – he’s already too old to be drafted into the military.

Which was the only reason he went before.

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Sorry to interrupt your Romney c/j with pesky things like facts.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM

The closest you’ve ever come to a fact is the implicit admission that you’re an annoying douchebag. Why don’t you hang out with your friends on Kos or something?

The Count on April 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Good for him. I hope he fixes our economy.

John the Libertarian on April 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Angryed, speaking of pesky facts? Is the o e above 50% yet on job approval.

But, seriously, why have not heard where Obie like to take family vacations, or did they only go to Hawaii when the taxpayer wasn’t footing the bill???

uncommon sense on April 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM

MadisonConservative on April 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

that’s in the banlieues of Paris, and while they are sort of cyclical, the bad ones are due every 4,5 years…but the best experience is what they call there ‘la France profonde’, not Paris necessarily…Paris is fine once, the rest of the country is amazing though, and much more interesting historically speaking, and simply in terms of natural beauty…especially the Midi-Pyrénées area, the old Aquitaine province, etc…but yeah, the further away you stay from big towns with massive Maghrebis population, the better off you are in France…

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM

It’s nice to see co-workers backing each other up.

Prufrock on April 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I guess there is some sort of a person slam in that statement. If there was – it was “unimaginative” and seriously flawed. ;)

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Pot – meet kettle.

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM

ouch.. you got me good there.. holy smokes.. your whit and insight knows no bounds, we are all in awe of your blog commenting prowess.

gatorboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM

uncommon sense on April 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Has Romney ever been to France at a time when he wasn’t dodging the draft?

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Romney = Obama. Even their degrees are identical.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Mitt’s ivy league education is real meaning he learned something there (and by that I don’t mean how to be a good Marxist :-), and not the affirmative action kind :-)…

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM

My wife drives Cadillacs. All paints a picture of a rich snob.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

That’s an interesting observation. What do you think Obama’s Uncle who’s been living in the United States illegally was driving when he was stopped for a DUI in Massachusetts? Do you think he was driving a Volt? LOL!

Dr Evil on April 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM

gatorboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Cuz you guys am EASY! :)

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Doughboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

For the 200th time….

Every election cycle has its winners and losers: not just the among the candidates, but also the pollsters.

On Tuesday, polls conducted by the firm Rasmussen Reports — which released more than 100 surveys in the final three weeks of the campaign, including some commissioned under a subsidiary on behalf of Fox News — badly missed the margin in many states, and also exhibited a considerable bias toward Republican candidates.

Moreover, Rasmussen’s polls were quite biased, overestimating the standing of the Republican candidate by almost 4 points on average. In just 12 cases, Rasmussen’s polls overestimated the margin for the Democrat by 3 or more points. But it did so for the Republican candidate in 55 cases — that is, in more than half of the polls that it issued.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM

It is magnificent.

You also meet the most amusing people. Like the old farmer I talked to, who said that you shouldn’t get too much education. That people nowadays are burning out their brains and going crazy.

He was awesome. Let my kids chase the chickens.

Prufrock on April 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Fortunately, people who read the AP and Rueters are blissfully unaware of Obama’s vacation status.

Nethicus on April 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Well, I try to stay informed and I didn’t know Mitt’s affection for french vacas…..and I don’t even read AP or Rueters.

tencole on April 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM

You people can’t help yourselves. Sad.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM

The fact is, Romney is a self-made multi-millionaire
AZCoyote on April 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Please do your homework. Romney donated his inheritance to charity…all of it.

Redford on April 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM

This is maybe a little known fact, but for AngryEd, who seems to belittle Romney’s Ivy League degrees, I can still be anti-snobbish Ivy league liberalism and still think Romney’s pretty smart, because I know that not only does Romney have a Harvard JD and MBA , he was also Valedictorian of his undergrad class at BYU, with something like 6000 students in it. To me, that is MORE impressive than the ivy league degrees. I know of lots of Harvahd JD’s and MBA’s, but not too many valedictorians.

Oh, and since you are a liberal, I’ll explain in short words: a valedictorian means that Romney was the best student in his entire class. Something you obviously were not.

Vanceone on April 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Why argue over polls at all at this point? Ref – South Carolina, Willard crashed a 10 point lead there in the polls in a WEEK before the election.

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Obama is white, just like George Zimmerman.

Ronnie on April 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

You people can’t help yourselves. Sad.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Racist.

NotCoach on April 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Now I have to say here… all of my neighbors were Algerian or Morrocan or Ivoirian… etc. They were salt of the earth, even living in a deeply racist society. They had real problems finding work for racial reasons. But when they saw a way to help us out (a loud, exuberant white American family), they always came through, before being asked.

There are a lot of problems in these communities — but most of them trace back to the way they are treated in the country they now call home. Legally.

Prufrock on April 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Please do your homework. Romney donated his inheritance to charity…all of it.

Redford on April 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM

That’s a lie – since he never donated the capital gains he made off that inheritance.

Next.

Man – you guyz am easy.

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

You forgot to add some unfounded draft dodging accusation to your remark. You’re slipping…

changer1701 on April 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Who cares if he’s a rich snob as long as he’s competent? Obama is a snob who is living the high life with other people’s money. If the most important criteria is that the president not be a rich snob I suppose you’re picking your candidate from the nearest homeless shelter, after first checking to make sure they were homeless before the recession and not previously a rich snob who only became homeless after losing his job.

Angryed’s motto-only incompetent poor people should run for president so they don’t think they’re better than the average voter.

We have an incompetent in the White House now and I don’t see that working too well.

talkingpoints on April 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Please do your homework. Romney donated his inheritance to charity…all of it.

Redford on April 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Oh, and another thing – give me $1M dollars and I’ll donate it to charity …

Next year.

But – by that time, I will have made $5M in Capital Gains. So sorry , this is’nt exactly “self-made”.

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Oh, and Honda? I also served a Mormon mission. Did I only do it to dodge the draft? How about the 56,000 odd current Mormon missionaries? Are THEY in it only to dodge the draft? My niece, who just got back from Nicaragua, where she was on a medical mission helping people treat diseases–only doing it to avoid the military, right?

But I expect nothing better than slightly veiled anti-Mormon bigotry from you. Indeed, the fact it is mostly hidden is the surprise–you are usually more blatant.

Vanceone on April 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I wasn’t using Romney’s Harvard degrees as proof of his greatness; I was using them to point out liberal hypocrisy. For Obama, a Harvard graduate degree (even one obtained as a result of legacy and aff*rmative act*on add-ons) is proof that he is a hard-working genius; for Romney, two Harvard graduate degrees are proof that he’s a spoiled rich kid who has never worked a day in his over-privileged life.

AZCoyote on April 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Romney = Obama. Even their degrees are identical.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I won’t speak for anyone else on here, but my problem with Ivy Leaguers in government is that a lot of them never worked a day in their life in the private sector. Obama being one of the prime examples. After he was done with school, the man was a community organizer, a part-time lecturer, a State Senator, a US Senator, and now President. He has no clue how a business is run, which becomes quite clear whenever he attempts to discuss economic matters.

Romney on the other hand actually had to go out there and make a living based on whether or not he succeeded. Sure he was born into a privileged family, but those millions you begrudge him for having came from his hard work in the private sector, not from some trust fund he inherited.

Doughboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Sure you don’t, just like I have no bias when it comes to Slovakia and Czech Republic LOL

JPeterman on April 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM

changer1701 on April 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM

The draft dodging remarks stand on their own – they don’t need to be repeated.

Willard IS a draft dodger – he went to France to “missionary” when his high-school buddies were in the jungles dieing.

Now he wants to be CINC.

And – LOL – you want him to be too!

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Obama is a snob who is living the high life with other people’s money.

bingo

bazil9 on April 23, 2012 at 4:26 PM

For the 200th time….

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM

For the 201st time, Rasmussmen was right about the 2008 Presidential election. End of story. So until he badly botches his polling for 2012(which we won’t know til after November 6), he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Doughboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

If a conservative hasn’t spent time in Europe, they’re a hayseed hick idiot.

If they have, they are rich snobs.

But besides that, this is still a trap. I wonder if the left will figure it out or blunder into it again.

forest on April 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Vanceone on April 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Climb down off the cross – we need the wood.

Did you serve your nation in uniform? If not, then your “missionary” hardships don’t impress me.

Willard got several draft deferrals to “missionary” in France – which is a civilized nation by the way – not Nicaragua.

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Uhhh, what capital gains does one have on a donated asset?

tommyboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Please do your homework. Romney donated his inheritance to charity…all of it.

Redford on April 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Did he also donate all the connections he had access to via his father?

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Onyango Obama was arrested last week in Framingham, about 20 miles west of Boston, after police said he made a rolling stop through a stop sign and nearly caused a cruiser to strike his sport-utility vehicle.

So the President’s Uncle is driving an SUV it just goes from bad to worse GRIN.

Dr Evil on April 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

France needs Christian missionaries just as much, if not more, than Nicaragua. And being a missionary is just as honorable, and needed, service as being in the military.

tommyboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Uhhh, what capital gains does one have on a donated asset?

tommyboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Everything he made off them before he donated them. Duh.

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

It is magnificent.

He was awesome. Let my kids chase the chickens.

Prufrock on April 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM

:) which part of France were you in?

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Greetings: just a quick reminder that, if Romney is elected, you will be picking up the costs of his vacation, just as you do with Obamas, because he, too, will fly in Air Force One and travel with gangs of Secret Service, a coterie of aids, enough communications equipment to star a war, if necessary, and all the other things that run up a President’s tab.

The Obamas, btw, do cover their own lodging (though they often stay with friends), meal, souvenir and other expenses.

There is little danger of Mitt vacationing abroad as president, because the optics are bad and presidents never do so.

urban elitist on April 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Your criticism of Romney is rich coming from someone who opposes Ryan’s entitlement reforms.

The Count on April 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:26 PM

So we shouldn’t have a Commander-in-Chief who has never served in the Armed Forces?

Tell us which branch did Obama serve in? As I recall, he spent his youth smoking weed and hanging out with Marxists, and occasionally doing some blow, when he could afford it. At least that’s what he (or Billy Ayers) told us in Barry’s autobiography.

AZCoyote on April 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

JPeterman on April 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM

:-) I think you are at your objective best when you talk about the two :-)…

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM

If you can turn $1 million into $6 million I will raise $1 million for you to invest as long as I get half.

NotCoach on April 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

tommyboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Sorry – but “Christian Missionarying” or whatever you want to call it – while your buddies are serving and dieing for their nation in a hell hole like Vietnam gets …

ZERO

Respect from me.

Zero.

Did I say … ZERO? As in – NO RESPECT?

Damn – that sounds harsh – I guess I should add … “LOL” … heh

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

NotCoach on April 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I said $5M (or so I thought) … but whatever, give me Willard’s roll-a-dex and I’ll still double the $1M – and then donate the original $1M to charity. Voila! I’m a “self-made” man!

Er – not exactly!

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Who cares if he’s a rich snob as long as he’s competent?

Maybe because the cornerstone of conservative politics in the last 30 years has been about calling out Democrats as “elitists” who don’t understand “real, working class Americans.” Because the right has bene playing identity politics with gun ownership, hunting, baseball pitches, NASCAR and pickup trucks for quite a while now. Its just hilarious seeing all of that turned on its head while you leap to support Mitt Romney who is, in no way shape or fashion, representative of “flyover” or “real America” or whatever other term you use to refer to middle and working class white culture.

libfreeordie on April 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

AZCoyote on April 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM

You do know that Harvard is actually a pretty easy place, right? The tough part is getting in. And a guy like McWillard whose father was a governor and a CEO of an auto company had no trouble getting in.

Once in, everyone is pretty much guaranteed a passing grade. And there is so much grade inflation that a B is average, a little work = an A. It’s unheard of for anyone to fail out of Harvard.

angryed on April 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

ZERO Respect from me.

LOL. Well, who in world cares a flip who you do and don’t respect. And plenty of missionaries die for their service. It takes just as much bravery to missionary in Afganistan as it does to fight there. More, because they are unarmed.

tommyboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

AZCoyote on April 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Strawman – I never said that.

My point is – why have a CINC who went to such ludicrous lengths to avoid the draft? He’s laughable.

And the fact is – NO ONE in his family has ever served this nation in uniform.

And – he makes a joke about that by saying that his son’s chose to serve their country by helping him to get elected President.

He’s a fool.

And oh – at least Ogabe has an uncle who stormed the beach on D-Day.

HondaV65 on April 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM

OT: BTW Allah, are you gonna have a thread later on about Martin Bashir’s latest insane smear of Romney? I won’t spoil it for those who haven’t seen it(it’s on RCP if you’re curious), but it’s gotta be the frontrunner for the most bizarre attack on a Presidential candidate of the year(and maybe century).

Doughboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I hope no one will hold it against me if I say I LIKE the idea of a rich guy who knows how to make a lot of money running a country that is losing a lot of money – you know, as opposed to a community organizer who hasn’t the faintest clue on how to make money other than campaigning and selling books he didn’t even write.

Just my common sense nature.

mitchellvii on April 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM

urban elitist on April 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Will the Romneys be gratuitously taking his and hers jets to their destination 4 hours apart like the Obamas? I would think not.

The Count on April 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Speaking of France, when do we get a thread on yesterday’s elections?

steebo77 on April 23, 2012 at 4:37 PM