Huntsman: On second thought, Romney’s my guy

posted at 4:01 pm on April 23, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Last night, Jon Huntsman decried the Republican Primary fight as something straight out of Communist China. On MSNBC’s Morning Joe today, he changed his tune a bit. After griping about how the GOP needed to stop being “small minded,” Huntsman got asked directly whether he’d vote for Mitt Romney, to which he answered, “Of course“:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

When pressed on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” on whether he would vote “enthusiastically” for the former Massachusetts governor, Huntsman said, “Well, I think he [Romney] is the person who can get this economy going again.”

The former Utah governor praised Romney’s campaign message of job creation and economic revitalization.

“I think he’s been consistent on that theme, I really do. You can talk about the other, you know, back-and-forth and flip-flopping and other things, but when it comes right down to it, the final stretch … this is going to be about jobs,” Huntsman said on “Morning Joe” Monday. “I think his commitment to jobs and his ability to articulate a plan for getting us back in action — I think he can overcome those challenges.”

Joe Scarborough asks Huntsman what Barack Obama did right in his term of office, and Huntsman pauses a moment before replying that Obama meant well.  He called Obama’s 2008 themes of “Hope and Change” and unity courageous, but didn’t explain what was so courageous about empty themes that meant nothing at all.  Who doesn’t run on change of some sort, and proclaim to be a uniter?  For Obama’s biggest failing, Huntsman points to his “lack of facility” for governing, and says that his inexperience as an executive is his greatest failing.  Given Obama’s agenda, that might actually be his most valuable virtue.

Comments

Jon, STFD and STFU your 15 minuets have expired.

SWalker on April 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Flail.

Logus on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Who?

Lehosh on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Huntsman is Mitt’s cousin.

Schadenfreude on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Too late, Ron. You’re not getting a cabinet position.

MadisonConservative on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

This guy makes John Edwards look like a straight shooter (no pun intended).

The Count on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Huntsman is trolling for a job.

Roy Rogers on April 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

dude didn’t even thank Dr Pepper…wtf?

DHChron on April 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Today his book is free on amazon, kindle edition: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M60BKU/ref=nosim/?tag=fatwalletcom&linkCode=as1

anikol on April 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

You know, I am in Utah. Huntsman was my governor, before Obama tapped him to be ambassador.

The only reason Huntsman was governor was, put bluntly, that he was a Republican and Utah has had enough of Democrats. When Huntsman left and his lieutenant governor Gary Herbert took over, I don’t recall many tears being shed over our loss.

I think Herbert is going to stomp the token democrat sacrificial offering this fall, too.

Vanceone on April 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

No lame joke by Huntsman in this segment?

Heartache.

GOPRanknFile on April 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I’m not going to be able to express my opinion about anybody who says that Obamuh “meant well.”

I’d get banned.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Let’s keep it in the family, ya know?

What’s a little nepotism eh?

Pleeze?

I’m so sorry!

Logus on April 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I thought his name was Eric.

vityas on April 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Go away, not Newt, you’re only embarrassing yourself.

talkingpoints on April 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I see our Party apparatchiks had a little talking to with the dissident. Mata Hari Huntsman is still likely to be disappeared to a local gulag though. At least I have heard that from a local Party official friend of mine.

NotCoach on April 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM

What happened, church elders come down on you hard, Jon?

swinia sutki on April 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM

So he said something crazy last night, and now he’s being sane. No need to kick the guy when he’s down, I’m sure the lefties are loving that. Focus on Obama.

Fenris on April 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM

So, Jon, with your in-depth experience of Chinese culture, have you ever eaten dog and was it tough?

Typicalwhitewoman on April 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Make him ambassador to the “Maldives”.

wildcat72 on April 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Slightly o/t: but this reminds me–I caught “Media Malpractice” on Netflix this weekend and it was very good. I know it’s fun to make fun of Ziegler’s jilted bride of Palin status, but he made a very interesting film. 2008 truly was the year the media died.

Kataklysmic on April 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I’d like to see Huntsman and Edwards inside of the UFC octagon.

It’d take 3 hours before either one of them took a poke at the other.

I have such contempt for wimps.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM

You’re still a tool, there Jon. Go back to your Obama slobbering.

search4truth on April 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM

anikol on April 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I believe that is his dad’s book. Proof that some apples do fall far from the tree…

d1carter on April 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Those of you on the other thread who figured Huntsman might be looking at VP, congratulations. Tell’em what they’ve won! (A new car!)

apostic on April 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I’d like to see Huntsman and Edwards inside of the UFC octagon.

It’d take 3 hours before either one of them took a poke at the other.

I have such contempt for wimps.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM

First rule of beta-boy fight club: You don’t talk about beta-boy fight club. You’ll get your eyes scratched out.

swinia sutki on April 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I’d like to see Huntsman and Edwards inside of the UFC octagon.

It’d take 3 hours before either one of them took a poke at the other.

I have such contempt for wimps.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM

“Hulk” Huntsman would definitely open by pulling on John “Goldust” Edwards $13-dollar-haircut hair.

steebo77 on April 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM

apostic on April 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Maybe SoS, but I doubt he’s even being looked at for veep.

Doomberg on April 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM

swinia sutki on April 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM

i believe its actually a sternly worded resolution sent your way.

t8stlikchkn on April 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Who is Sean Huntsman?

Bitter Clinger on April 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Wasn’t that guy an extra in the origical “Karate kid”? Y’know, the country club scene?

kingsjester on April 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I had this greaseball pegged right from the git go. What a vain and cowardly man he is. He hasn’t a single worthy quality that I can see.

Rational Thought on April 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Rational Thought on April 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

But…but…but he can speak Mandurin.

Bitter Clinger on April 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM

dude didn’t even thank Dr Pepper…wtf?
DHChron on April 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM
I’ll not stand by and have Dr Pepper go un thanked.

Rusty Allen on April 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

This Frank Huntsman fellow is a zany guy. Is he someone important?

Curtiss on April 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM

His kind of bipolar disorder requires some pretty gnarly anti-psychotic drugs.

Ward Cleaver on April 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Huntsman: On second thought, Romney’s my gay

The beauty of growing old and being too vain (or forgetful) to always wear your readers. Yup, had to take a second look, lol.

Fallon on April 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I know, he’s related to Teresa Heinz Kerry. They have a ketchup monopoly, no?

Curtiss on April 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM

His reply on the Obama question was pretty good though. That’s exactly the kind of message we want to have about Obama “He means well, I really believe that. Very nice guy and all. But you know, right? Not really apt for the job, sigh. Oh well, it was a fun experiment. He’ll do well as a paid speaker anyway. Friendly fella. Will never be able to run a small town let alone a country, but good intentions”.

joana on April 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM

We need him to support Mitt. He sucks, but there had been talk about him joining a third party and taking his 2% of the vote with him. Hopefully, 2% is meaningless, but I would feel better knowing that we will still get that 2% just in case.

jeffn21 on April 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Kung Pao Huntsman comes around. I wonder who called and had a chat with him.

Philly on April 23, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Thanks for sharing, Chauncey Doucheington the Fifteenth. Don’t let the door hit you in your pompous @$$ on the way out.

M. Scott Eiland on April 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Yeah but he would make a great ambassador in some foreign country though. Like,uh, say, China?

jake49 on April 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM

kingsjester on April 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Don’t you mean Caddy Shack?

SparkPlug on April 23, 2012 at 5:55 PM

apostic on April 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Well, let’s see. Romney already has the rich, white, Mormon male former governor demos already covered, so the only thing Chad would bring is smarmy (which you could argue Romney has covered) and served in the Obama administration. I’m not seeing a winning combo here, but I can’t insist that Chet is not that delusional. He could be.

talkingpoints on April 23, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Huntsman has achieved the impossible… Mitt Romney looks almost like a real person compared to him…

Snackrabbit on April 23, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I bet Mitt will give Huntsman some kind of important role.

SparkPlug on April 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM

…I swear!…if I had not seen Huntswoman’s lovely wife and beautiful daughter’s…I would swear he HAS a baagina!

KOOLAID2 on April 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Typical liberal mentality. It’s OK if you fk up, as long as you MEANT well.

Red Cloud on April 23, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Ed M is a hack, and so is every fake poster on this stupid Hot Gas site. John Huntsman endorsed Romney back in South Carolina you stupid hacks. You are sickening to be still dumping garbage on this good man. It’s the same treatment given to Pawlenty.

And Huntsman is right. Why should he be getting cut out of GOP events if not for the fact that the GOP is censoring him. Since when have Hot Gasers been fans of the party anyway?

SuperBunny on April 23, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Too late Huntsman. I knew you were a corn-hole 4 years ago, you just took a few years to finally let the world know. Now it’s too late to walk it back. Even if you did walk it back everyone would still think you’re a pandering moron.

Everyone that can actually recognize idiots that is. Some people can’t, it’s a sad fact and the reason we also have a corn-hole in the white house.

Wolfmoon on April 23, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Yeah. Mitt should say, “Thanks, but no thanks” to this one.
Huntsman should just go back to China

ToddonCapeCod on April 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Huntsman is an example of the Peter Principle in that people rise to the level of their incompetence. He was a good governor. He positioned Utah well but he wouldn’t make a good President. Maybe he should go back and be Governor again if he Utah state constitution will allow it.

crosspatch on April 23, 2012 at 9:01 PM

If Huntsman don’t lower that eyebrow I am gonna tell Spock on him!

Logical.

Sherman1864 on April 24, 2012 at 2:58 AM

KOOLAID2 on April 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM

The daughters are only really proof that the wife had heterosexual sex….get a DNA test, I say.

runawayyyy on April 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Jon Heinzman as Secretary of State would be a good fit, given his experience with China.

TMOverbeck on April 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM