Good news: White House investigation declares White House innocent in Secret Service scandal

posted at 9:40 pm on April 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

The investigation began on Friday, was completed within 72 hours, and Carney won’t get into details. Sounds legit:

“There have been no specific credible allegations of misconduct by anyone on the White House advance team or the White House staff. Nevertheless, out of due diligence, the White House counsel’s office has conducted a review of the White House advance team,” Carney told reporters during the daily briefing…

“The incident we’re talking about here involved specific allegations of misconduct by the Secret Service and members of the military,” Carney stressed. “The decision to conduct a review here was made internally out of due diligence.” He would not discuss specifics about how the investigation was conducted or whether the findings would be shared with any contacts outside the White House…

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta confirmed today that one member of the White House Communications Agency — the military unit that provides communications support to the president when he travels — was also under investigation for alleged involvement in the incident.

A reader who’s a lawyer e-mails to say that, given the short time frame involved, the “investigation” must have consisted mainly if not exclusively of interviewing the staff who went to Colombia, which would be next to useless. A real investigation starts with sifting through e-mails and other pertinent documents to gather facts, then using interviews to confront the staffers on the contents and fill in any informational gaps. If all they’re doing is asking people “you didn’t hire any hookers, did you?”, then all but the very dumbest staffer is safe. Which, of course, is just how Team O wants it. The last thing they need is for this scandal to migrate from the Secret Service and the military through the front door of the White House.

Any readers out there ever work as part of a politician’s advance team? I ask because I wonder if, by custom, political staffs and security staffs tend not to socialize much while abroad. They come from different professional cultures so relations between them may be more arm’s-length; if so, then it’s easier to believe that the Secret Service didn’t call up any White House pals to see if they wanted to tag along to hooker heaven. While you mull that, via the boss emeritus, here’s Carney spinning feebly about whether he’s aware that there are very few female Secret Service agents and why that might be. War on women?

Comments

Dear Leader says don’t look behind the curtain. Move along, nothing to see here.

Warner Todd Huston on April 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM

These aren’t the droids you’re looking for…

sandee on April 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM

You forgot to say unexpectedly.

John the Libertarian on April 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Wow, Obama’s investigation of himself found nothing wrong, eh?

The Count on April 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Whew!! Sure glad we cleared that up. I feel so much better now.

Bitter Clinger on April 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Third world tin pot banana republic dictators also conduct their own investigations…

… Oh,wait!

Seven Percent Solution on April 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

“Our rapid, superficial investigation found nothing. NOTHING!”

DrStock on April 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Wow, Obama’s investigation of himself found nothing wrong, eh?

The Count on April 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Nope, not even lint in his navel.

Was anyone checking on Hillary’s high times and Miss-demeanors?

onlineanalyst on April 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

That is good news!!! And here is even better news, the Great War of Islamohomophobia is over!!!! Why isn’t this burning up the headlines everywhere?

BL@KBIRD on April 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

It’s a shame that Helen Thomas isn’t there to ask the tough questions.

stevezilla on April 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

In other news, the White House has investigated the CBO claim that ObamaCare will INCREASE the deficit. The investigation has determined that the CBO allegation is FALSE.

GarandFan on April 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

WH has some super efficient investigators…”You didn’t do anything wrong did you?”….NO!… Okay then.

Are you sure all the prostitutes were women..?

d1carter on April 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Time for the WaPo editorial board to rip the Obama admin for secret keeping.

Zaggs on April 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

There was no woman in Barry’s room.

galtani on April 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Wow, Obama’s investigation of himself found nothing wrong, eh?

The Count on April 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM

yep, looks they’re all ‘clean’ there, at the WH…They have just exonerated themselves from any wrongdoing :-)…

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Oh.

The white house declared itself innocent on Fast& Furious too. Congress is still looking for Kevin O’Reilly as well.

ted c on April 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Barky wasn’t in those rooms, so it never happened. Much the same way Rev. JJ Wright didnt’ reflect on him.

SouthernGent on April 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I think it is time to reserve atleast 50% of the SS positions for women .
Women make up atleast 1/ 2 of this country’s population,
so its only fair.

burrata on April 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

They come from different professional cultures

Yes, one group is professional. The other is just cultured.

ted c on April 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Stunning how stupid the One thinks we all are. Who do they think they are fooling???

bobsacramento on April 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Jay looks like quite a party guy himself. I’ll bet with a couple of drinks in him, he might even get a little frisky with the ladies. He’s probably a bit uneasy with all this.

a capella on April 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Most transparent regime evah!

txhsmom on April 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Spinning? When did “spinning” become a synonym for “lying”?

ronsfi on April 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Yes, one group is professional. The other is just cultured.

ted c on April 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

lol :-)

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

************************** 1984 *****************************

canopfor on April 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

What if Bill BJ Clinton was in-charge of the investigation of the stain…..?

Electrongod on April 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

BL@KBIRD on April 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Say hello to Hussein and the G-Had’s new business partners :

burrata on April 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I think it is time to reserve atleast 50% of the SS positions for women .
Women make up atleast 1/ 2 of this country’s population,
so its only fair.

burrata on April 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

THIS!!! We’ve heard King Barry the Great tell us how much fairness should be the law of the land. Well, this would define fairness!!

Bitter Clinger on April 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM

What if Bill BJ Clinton was in-charge of the investigation of the stain…..?

Electrongod on April 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Now that you mention it, I’ve always been amazed that the FBI managed to conduct the investigation of the blue dress without White House interference/cover-up.

Bitter Clinger on April 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Because they can deem it done. Simple.

1nolibgal on April 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM

The Scrutenizer Czar,has had a an internal Scrutenization
of the Scrutenees,and has concluded,that with thorough Scu
tenizational invesigation,

all Staff,is Scutenized Free!!
(snark)

canopfor on April 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

bobsacramento on April 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Roughly 50% of the country.

Bitter Clinger on April 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Ya know,ahem,there might be found a smok’n gun,er cigar!!
(snark)

canopfor on April 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Wow, Obama’s investigation of himself found nothing wrong, eh?

The Count on April 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Flashback to 2008: Obama’s own transition team investigated themselves & found ” no inappropriate discussions” with Blago on pay-to-play for Barack’s senate seat. Shocker.

TN Mom on April 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I wonder if Lanny Davis and Paul Begala,conducted the Investigation!!
(sarc)

canopfor on April 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Well, no credible allegations have surfaced yet.

Philly on April 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Would I lie to you?
Would I lie to you, honey?
Now, would I say something that wasn’t true?
I’m asking you sugar
Would I lie to you?

- Baghdad Jay

Memory Lane….

Baghdad Jay: “Hilary, You Ignorant Slut. Would You Please Shut Up?”

Resist We Much on April 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Dear Liar’s regime also declared his regime to be the most awesome ever.

rbj on April 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Yes, one group is professional. The other is just cultured.

ted c on April 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

ted c:lol,

HEY HEY HO…..THE LIBERAL VIRUS MUST GO……HEY HEY HO……
(sarc)

canopfor on April 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Hey my father’s the judge, my mother the prosecuting attorney, my sister the defense attorney and twelve cousins are on the jury. I’m found ‘not guilty’-quite a surprise!

MaiDee on April 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM

The Adults are in Charge!

All the way back to Obama’s Staff Party,
of Party/Hardy…..Beer Pong!!

canopfor on April 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

So the investigation began Friday, ended Monday, and the folks likely had the weekend off. That’s awesome.

rogerb on April 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Who conducted this investigation ?
Bo the dog ?

burrata on April 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

TN Mom on April 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Or on trying to get companies to pay for the the awesome honor of supplying the new electronic media to redo the WH.

uncommon sense on April 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Well good for the WH, but they still have to fix the SS, and is probably beyond fixing. I think this just proves the need to establish another government agency with the sole purpose of protecting the president. We don’t need an agency distracted by other mission objectives, like looking into counterfeiting or interviewing people like Ted Nugent.

Call it the President Only Security department and fund it correctly so there are no distractions while they guard the life of the most important person in this country. We need real high class and expensive American prostitutes who are on call 24-7 to ensure the President’s security is not distracted about where they are going to get their next release. The only discharge they need to worry about is the next one threatening our POTUS.

ray on April 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Seems legit…

ghostwalker1 on April 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Did anyone see Carney’s hand wave over the press corps?

Sounds like a Jedi Mind trick.

PappyD61 on April 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

“… my people.” - Eric Holder

Seven Percent Solution on April 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

It’s a shame that Helen Thomas isn’t there to ask the tough questions.

stevezilla on April 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

If Helen Thomas had been in Columbia, it certainly would have added a whole new old wrinkle to this…

ghostwalker1 on April 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Damn I hate defending Obama.

Did Obama tell the Secret Service to go out looking for hookers? I’m pretty sure it’s not in the Secret Service Standard Operating Procedure that when in a foriegn country to hire hookers, invite them in your room, and then argue about he final price in the hallway of the same hotel.

What happened to “right” and “wrong”?

Why aren’t we angry that government employee’s are on an official government trip getting laid in rooms paid by the American taxpayer?

I deployed many times thanks to American taxpayers contributions, twice into war zones, and I didn’t get laid until I got back to my own house.

What was I doing wrong?

Hog Wild on April 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Next thing you know Emperor Obamatine will reveal himself.

PappyD61 on April 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I wonder if the “investigator” got tips from The West Wing. Sounds an awful lot like what Sorkin dreamed up in The Short List.

Now we’ll see if Rep Lilienfield Issa has some hard evidence that contradicts the “investigation”

blah blah blah on April 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Did you ever get a look at this group? The White House staffers I mean.
Metrosexuals would be the polite term for most of them.

No Niks on April 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Pageing Nancy Pelosium,bring your broom,a house Cleaning
might be in order,to sweep possible corruption from your
Party!
(sarc)

canopfor on April 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Give me a break.

Cleombrotus on April 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

uncommon sense on April 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Can’t wait until they investigate why Obama is letting Dem Jon Corizine bundle $$ for the Obama campaign while he is under investigation for the nearly $1 BILLION missing customer funds at MF Global.

TN Mom on April 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

****************** Transparency MIA ***********************

canopfor on April 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

What was I doing wrong?

Hog Wild on April 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

because it simply means that there’s been a culture of corruption in this agency for a while now (evidence of it being the number of agents involved, that clearly suggests there have been precedents, and that Cartagena wasn’t a first time), that President 0 should have known about, if not for other reasons at least simply because his life is/was at stake…are you going to say now that he didn’t know about the Salahis scandal and the breach of security at that event? didn’t that sound an alarm bell? whom did he fire from the SS back then? Yeah, it’s rhetorical anyways…so, no, he doesn’t deserve a pass on this one…he’s incompetent in running the WH and everything else…

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM

What happened to “right” and “wrong”?

Hog Wild on April 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Good questions.

Cleombrotus on April 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Lets review,I’ll rearrange a few words!

Barack Obama,

“Public Will Have 5 Days To Look At Every Bill,
er Investiagation Reports”!!

canopfor on April 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM

“… my people.” – Eric Holder
Seven Percent Solution on April 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Seven Percent Solution: In a nut shell,yup!:)

canopfor on April 23, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Did Obama tell the Secret Service to go out looking for hookers?

May be not in those exact words but it looks like SS Agents, somehow got the impression that it was OK to go out looking for hookers while scouting for the next locale for Mooch’s vacation .

It may not be in the SOP but looks like the SS had done this before and got away with it . Afterall, not every country has same low standards of public behaviour and USA still has some goodwill left in the world . I’msure there are other countries which covered up SS misbehaviour in the past .

What happened to “right” and “wrong”?

This episode is purely political, it is about ” right” and ” left”

We have been desensitazed to such behaviour over the years, specially after the puppy muncher and his missus were coronated.

What was I doing wrong?

Hog Wild on April 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

You are a good and honorable man but you have a lousy creep for a
Commander n Thief.
I salute and thank you for your service .
You did nothing wrong at all.
The SS is a joke now and I’m sure that is exactly what the SS agent who was seeing the Mooch had in mind when he started.

burrata on April 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Sounds like a Jedi Mind trick.

PappyD61 on April 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

PappyD61:Good one:)

canopfor on April 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM

yeah because the majority of them are not interested in female prostitutes…

mittens on April 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM

We have been desensitazed to such behaviour over the years

burrata on April 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Man, ain’t THAT the truth.

Cleombrotus on April 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Allah, you asked about advance teams hanging out with the security guys. When I did advance for a cabinet member (in addition to my day job at that agency), I did hang out with the security guys once we’d arranged things. They weren’t quite as high-speed as the Secret Service, but they were close.

A couple of the other people who did advance also had a good relationship with the security detail — but I think it’s because those of us who did proved ourselves to them over time. You’re right; very different cultures.

My limited experience with WH advance people and USSS guys, though, wouldn’t lead me to expect them to be hanging out after hours — and that was in the previous Administration. In this one, I’d think the chances of that would be even less. You never know, though. . . .

Farragut Jones on April 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM

burrata on April 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM

The Secret Service is not a joke due to the actions of 11 or whatever the final number ends up to be.

The Secret Service is almost completey full of people who are not only trained but are willing to jump into harms way in order to protect those they are charged with protecting.

The illusion that everyone who wears a uniform, or anyone who carries a badge, represents all those who wear the same uniform or carry the same badge as those who care about what the uniform or badge means.

I wore the same uniform as Lee Harvey Oswald and Charles Whitman. But that in no way makes me the same as them. I’ve never murdered anyone, especially American citizens, and I served more time in the Marines than both of them combined, and you can multiply their time in service twice, and I stil have more time than both.

I unlike them, felt the need to uphold the standards I was charged with. I believed in the Constitution and the rule of law. Just because Oswald and Whitman hid who they were truly were and made it through boot camp doesn’t make them anyting like me. I could make the same shots they did, but I would choose not to do so.

Standards exist for a reason, to determine between those who measure up and those who don’t.

That’s the difference.

Hog Wild on April 23, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Are you sure all the prostitutes were women..?

d1carter on April 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Thread winner.

rogaineguy on April 23, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Someone from this administration used the term “due deligence”??!!
I tried to throw up just a little bit in my mouth…BUT THE CHUNKS where to big!

KOOLAID2 on April 23, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Are you sure all the prostitutes were women..?

d1carter on April 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Carney isn’t sure, he doesn’t have enough information about the exact figure…but personally he knows three prostitutes, of which some are male :-)…

jimver on April 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM

“Look on my Works ye Mighty and Despair”
Thank you, B.H. Obama

Ozmondias on April 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I love internal investigations, it’s like looking to see if you did anything wrong, even though you didn’t think it was wrong in the first place or you wouldn’t have done it.
Wow I hope that made sense, it did when I wrote it………..

angrymike on April 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Y’all are off your game tonight.

No offense intended but the key phrase “Con” Carney used was,

“… it would be inappropriate to focus on those things while this investigation is going on.”

Let’s think for a minute.

HOW LONG has the Justice Department’s investigation of Fast & Furious been “going on”?

WHEN will that investigation conclude?

Exactly five minutes before Obambi signs the Presidential Pardons on his last day in office. The SS investigation will conclude at the four minute mark.

PolAgnostic on April 24, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I don’t recall anyone making allegations. This statement is designed to obfuscate not inform and the White House investigation was cursory AT BEST.

As AP points out, WH staffers partying with secret service and the military security team is improbable, but this orgy lasted at least five days, according to reports of statements from employees at the Caribe hotel.

Some WH staffers stayed at the Caribe during this period. We are told the party was loud and there was a lot of heavy drinking and yet somehow through all of this, the White House staff didn’t see or hear anything that was going on.

Members of the press also reported to be at the Caribe, people who are paid for ability to observe and record events apparently also managed to remain oblivious to what was apparently going on all around them.

By the way the number of Secret Service and military personnel involved is now up to 24.

So, with all the drunken debauchery going on for at least five days, absolutely nobody knew what was going on until the hooker refused to leave without being paid?

dogsoldier on April 24, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Jay Carney actually knows three Columbia advance teams so it would be impossible to pinpoint just which one actually was on the ground in Cali.

Sorry but 72 hours for a government investigation? The only time government works that swiftly is when they want to cover something up. “Nothing to see here folks, move on to dog-eating or cookie-dissing or something.”

The real question remains how can over 20 people involved with this visit hire 20 whores and those closest to the President didn’t have a clue? In other words, there are liars among those in the Presidential advance team.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Wow I hope that made sense, it did when I wrote it………..

angrymike on April 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Internal investigations are not designed to determine right or wrong. They are designed to mitigate embarrassment and/or scandal when the real facts emerge. A bit of gentle probing of the advance team- all of whom claimed ignorance of the debauchery going on in their midst by the support team and….. an official exoneration from the investigators who had an interest in making sure the scandal did not spread to the White House advance team.

Real investigations involve fact finding by outside disinterested parties.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Real investigations involve fact finding by outside disinterested parties.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Exactly. One must ask, Who was there? When were they there? What was their schedule? When were they physically in the hotel? What room did they occupy? I will be we can come up with fifty or more good questions.

The devil is in the details.

dogsoldier on April 24, 2012 at 7:49 AM

dogsoldier on April 24, 2012 at 7:49 AM

There are indeed fifty or more good questions. Questions and issues impossible to complete in just 72 hours unless the “investigation” consisted entirely of calling the entire advance team into a room and asking if anybody saw anything.

Seriously, a real investigation would require more than 72 hours just getting all those being interviewed to sign the paperwork acknowledging their right not to incriminate themselves. It defies all logic that this administration is so efficient they could really investigate in a mere three days.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM

There have been no specific credible allegations of misconduct

Are all of the following true statements, Mr. Carney?

There have been no credible allegations of misconduct.

There have been no specific allegations of misconduct.

There have been no allegations of misconduct.

Watch out for the qualifiers. This is how you beat a lie detector test.

Many years ago, I often had to respond to this question:

“Did you go to school today?”

I truthfully answered “Yes”. I did not further explain that I didn’t stay very long…in fact, a drive thru of the parking lot made my answer correct.

BobMbx on April 24, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM

You are absolutely correct. How long do you think it would take just to collect and photocopy everyone’s schedule and daytimers? Their text messages, tweets, email and cellphone records?

And all of that before asking even the first question.

dogsoldier on April 24, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Senator Grassley is not letting go of this:

FTA:

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) wrote a letter to the White House on Monday with more than a dozen inquiries about how the review was conducted and the specific findings of the White House’s investigation.

Thank you Senator.

dogsoldier on April 24, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Dear Mr. Farmer,

After a thorough investigation, we are unable to determine what happened to your chickens, other than it wasn’t us.

Sincerely,

Mr. Fox

Bruce MacMahon on April 24, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!!!

This, and Timmy Geitner raking Paul Ryan and the Republicans over the coals for their plan to deal with Entitlements, when he and his Dem buddies don’t even have one.

UNREAL.

Susanboo on April 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Ohhh, no evidence of wrongdoing–and the dog ate their homework and then Ofibber ate the dog. I’m so glad that CarneyClown and Diane Slayer of the AllBarackChannel both informed and assured us about the conclusion to this self-investigation. And the stupid leftist dumbmasses lap up some more moldy leftovers tossed out by the WretchedHive. And so continues Oblunder’s culture of lack of responsibility and accountability, do-whatever-you-dang-well-please-break-the-law-even, and suffer no consequences.

stukinIL4now on April 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM

My fiance’s family lives in Jackson, WY. She lived there when VP Cheney would visit there. He had advance teams (ADVON) go there all the time, and she and her friends would hang out with them. Some were Secret Service, some were Air Force.

She has told me that several of the ADVON personnel would “socialize” with women in Jackson drinking out at bars and at parties. Some were married, some weren’t. In the military, the same thing. It happens all the time. The outrage that is coming from the adminstration and the military about this is laughable. They all know this is commonplace during trips like these. The only thing is, they got caught.

Patriot Vet on April 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM

You mean, they completed it Fast and Furious? Amazing. What would the SCOTUS say to that amazing feat? If they could only apply that same standard to the rest of the issues facing them, it would be a Fast and Furious way to get people to actually believe you, tool.

Molonlabe2004 on April 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM