Rubio: Let’s just respect the running-mate process now

posted at 6:30 pm on April 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Wouldn’t it be ironic if a Republican politician called for everyone to chill out for a while and let Mitt Romney engage in his process for picking a running mate — and used it as a springboard for even more speculation? Oh, wait — that’s not irony, it’s punditry.  Either way or both at the same time, I doubt that anyone will take Marco Rubio’s advice and find something else to discuss for the next three or four months … like, say, dog handling or cookie analysis:

Rubio says, ““The last thing he needs are those of us in the peanut gallery to be saying what we would or would not do,” so of course that’s the first thing the rest of us will do.   Callum Bortchers at the Boston Globe interpreted Rubio’s remarks as to reopen the question of whether he would accept an invitation onto the ticket:

Florida Senator Marco Rubio downplayed his higher office aspirations in a TV interview aired Sunday, refusing to discuss his vice presidential prospects and saying he does not think about becoming president some day.

But the statements by Rubio, a first-term Republican with a burgeoning national profile, were softer than ones he made last week, when he told the National Journal that he would say no if presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney asked him to be his running mate.

“Let me just say this about the vice presidential process,” Rubio said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “Up to now it’s all been theoretical. We have a nominee now, and our nominee, Mitt Romney, the leader of the Republican Party, has a vice presidential process in place. And I think from this point moving forward, I think it’d be wise for all Republicans to kind of respect that process, myself included, and say moving forward, we’re going to let his process play itself out.”

I didn’t get that at all.  What I heard was Rubio refusing to even play along with the question, although he did suggest earlier that Jeb Bush would make a great choice for Romney, when Candy Crowley started off by noting that Bush was pushing Rubio as the running mate.  Bush himself categorically stated yesterday that he wouldn’t get the offer, and that the media should get over the idea:

Former Florida governor Jeb Bush, the son of one U.S. president and the brother of another, said he wants to put to rest any talk of him becoming the running mate of presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

“I am not going to be the veep nominee,” Bush said in an e-mailed statement yesterday. “Lay that to rest.”

The question arose after an earlier interview with the Newsmax.TV website in which Bush didn’t rule out the idea. In the interview, he touted the qualifications of U.S. Senator Marco Rubio of Florida for the second spot on the ticket. …

“I guess I wasn’t clear enough,” he said.

I like Jeb Bush, and on paper, he seems like a great choice.  He remains incredibly popular after a long, successful run as governor of a critical swing state in the election this year, and while he’s not exactly a darling of the base, he would bring regional balance and potentially some enthusiasm from Latino voters.  There’s only one fly in the ointment — his last name.  Adding Jeb to the ticket would allow Team Obama to run against George Bush all over again in 2012, a strategy that they will pursue anyway but with little credibility — at least without a Bush on the ticket.  Jeb’s smart enough to know that, and so is Mitt Romney.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Please with this cr@p — a person born within the borders of the US is a natural born citizen regardless of the citizenship and/or citizenship status of their parents. The only time the citizenship of a person’s parents comes into play is for those born abroad (i.e., not within the borders of the US). I’m not going to engage in a debate with you because there is no debate about this fact. So, just stop spreading the stupid, please.

Dark Star on April 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM

There is no debate about this? Well, then, I presume you can cite a source for this claim, because as far as I know, there has been no definition of “natural born citizen” established. I don’t think anchor babies would qualify. The founders do seem to have cared about the citizenship status of a person’s parents, particularly the status of the father.

Yet you want to shut down any discussion of this topic by declaring anyone who talks about it to be “stupid.” sorry, there is legitimate reason to want the definition of “natural born citizen” established, and you’re the one who looks stupid…and very uninformed.

As for Rubio? Not a Natural Born Citizen, and fails on many fronts, but particularly on illegal immigration. Romney would be nuts to choose him for a running mate.

JannyMae on April 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Amjean on April 22, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Rick Perry needs to stay in TX as governor. We need him here.
Unlike you, Amjean-I don’t make politicians into dieties(like you did with Sarah Palin) I couldn’t care less about Russell Crowe or any other celebrity. I support Rick Perry-but in the end he’s still just a politician.
I think that Jindal or Ryan would be great choices. I’d give Jindal the upper hand because he has XO and healthcare experience.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Lighten up Petunia! I never made Sarah Palin into a deity (try
spell check – or better yet, purchase a dictionary at Walmart).

Amjean on April 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Amjean on April 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

The office of the POTUS is given by the people as temporary grant of power. It can be given and just as easily taken away. I think Romney, as a student of history, will not abuse the privilege and opportunity if he is elected. He will surprise some of the die hard ABRs.

galtani on April 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Amjean on April 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

galtani on April 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I am hopeful that you are correct.

Amjean on April 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Just when my hopes for Romney were beginning to rise, I read this:

sigh

timmytee on April 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I’m not going to engage in a debate

Dark Star on April 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Smart move. If you are going to claim that the US born children of foreign ambassadors are natural born US citizens, it’s best not to stick around and debate the issue.

Buddahpundit on April 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Just when my hopes for Romney were beginning to rise, I read this:

sigh

timmytee on April 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Good Grief! If I hear this Portman crap again, I think I’m gonna’ puke. I’m starting to believe some of the conspiracy stuff…..that the establishment republicans see this as their 8 years and they will make sure it happens for them. After that the democrat establishment agree to not stand in the way of our 8 years. I don’t know, it sure seems like these RINO’s are doing everything they can to ensure Obama’a reelection?

Alabama Infidel on April 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Told you. He never stated in no uncertain terms that he’d not take it.

He’s playing coy. You don’t say, “I’m not going to be on the ticket.”

You say, “I don’t want it. I refuse it. I reject it. If offered it I will turn it down. If nominated I will not accept.” Otherwise, anything else you say is just toying around.

Logus on April 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I just noticed something…does Rubio do the combover thing?

ddrintn on April 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I just noticed something…does Rubio do the combover thing?

ddrintn on April 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Nah. Hair’s too thick. Would also have to see him from behind to verify. I’ve seen enough men with combovers and even one swirly – they’re pretty recognizable.

He just has a very well defined hairline and thick hair.

Logus on April 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Told you. He never stated in no uncertain terms that he’d not take it.

Of course he would take it. And if not VP, he can be the “Amnesty for illegals Czar”.

Alabama Infidel on April 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Alabama Infidel on April 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Yeah. That sticks in my craw.

We’re getting two flavors of RINO pablum with Romney and Rubio. Mr. and Mr. Inevitables.

Maybe that’ll be the name of the Incredibles sequel; The Inevitables.

Logus on April 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Multiple court decisions have established that any person born in the United States, whether of alien parents or not, is a natural born citizen. For example, Lynch v Clarke, United States v. Wong Kim Ark, and In re Look Tin Sing

MFn G I M P on April 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Rubio is a native born citizen as he is an anchor baby born in this Country to parents with citizenship in another country. His parents became naturalized citizens after his birth. To be natural born his parents would have had to been citizens of the US at the time of his birth. Neither one were.

Obama’s mother was a US citizen but according to the rules at the time too young to confer citizenship but she was a citizen and the rules were changed several years later that her age would not have made a difference. Neither of Rubio’s parents were citizens. Why is that so difficult to understand?

PhiKapMom on April 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Alabama Infidel on April 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Unbunch your panties with your czar concerns. Super Mitt says no to czars- no dead wood. The Veep-Stakes is going to be moat anyway- after The September surprise of Hillary gets made- Focus has to be on obie failure- don’t count on any impact from the R #2. NO ONE matches up to Hillary. ( Maybe Condi)

Its Hillary time – Bank on it Buddy.

FlaMurph on April 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Rubio: Let’s just respect the running-mate process now

Ohhhhh, you mean the way you all respected the primary process?

stukinIL4now on April 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

MFn G I M P on April 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

No, sorry. You have you have confused native-born with natural born. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING. See PhiKapMom’s post following yours.

JannyMae on April 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM

PhiKapMom on April 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

It’s difficult for closed-minded, willfully uninformed people, who are conditioned to screech “crazy birther” at anyone who mentions the phrase “natural born citizen.” Even a lot of otherwise sane conservatives have fallen into this trap.

JannyMae on April 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Colin Powell.

galtani on April 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM

The same Colin Powell who endorsed King Obama?

Here, have a beer. Better yet, let me give you the whole 6-pack.

JPeterman on April 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

And VOTED FOR HIM. Forget Powell.

Adding: Aaaargh.

Lourdes on April 23, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Most Birthers wouldn’t care about whether Rubio’s parents were citizens if he were white and his last name didn’t end in a vowel.

Yeah, I said it. The Birther idiots are not only halfwit whackos, but they are racists, as well. Just because the racist label is overused doesn’t mean it’s always unjustified.

I’d like to see Rubio on the ticket for a whole host of reasons, and the fact that it would drive Birthers insane is icing on the cake.

Sadly, I think he is serious when he says he’s not interested.

DRayRaven on April 23, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Rubio has disqualified himself by his leftward moves on amnesty. If the Romney campaign turns into who can appease Hispanics the most with an amnesty, it will be a landslide against Romney as a lot of conservatives sit out and Obama promises a full-out amnesty for every illegal and gets 95% of the Hispanic vote.

Monkeytoe on April 23, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I think Mitt should leak 30 names. Lots of discussion.

Include Michele Bachmann, heck…include Michele Malkin and that Ed Morrisey for the attention it would bring.

The media loves stories almost as much as they love liberals.

IlikedAUH2O on April 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I forgot the SS in Ed’s name.

IlikedAUH2O on April 23, 2012 at 8:52 AM

JannyMae on April 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

No, birthers like you OUGHT to be ridiculed and ostracized. The truth is that numerous court decisions have defined “natural born citizen” to mean someone entitled to US citizenship at the time of their birth. That is the precedent and the legal consensus. Don’t like it? Tough. You people act as if others are ignoring the constitution or “the rules” by agreeing with judicial precedent that someone born on US soil (regardless of the citizenship status of his/her parents) is perfectly eligible to be president.

At best, you can say that the issue is not TOTALLY resolved, due to the lack of specificity in the Constitution, but the weight of the evidence against the birthers outweighs the evidence they present for their view.

Before Obama, we already had a president with parents born outside the US.

Don’t like the fact that anchor babies born to ILLEGAL aliens (not legal aliens like Rubio’s parents) automatically become citizens, let alone become eligible for the presidency? Fine, then you’re going to have to amend the Constitution or get the Supreme Court to re-interpret or clarify the natural born citizen clause, because right now the consensus is pretty well established AGAINST the birther view.

I do NOT like that children of illegal aliens are automatic US citizens. I would wholeheartedly support an effort for that kind of amendment, but I fear it wouldn’t have much of a chance.

As for the issue of whether children born to LEGAL aliens can become president… who really cares, anyway? What’s the big deal? Setting aside the fact that it is an issue that has been settled for quite some time, I don’t see why people would care that much to want to push the birther view in this case. I have a hard time believing it’s due to racism… but can that be part of the motive? Or is it more due to ignorance?

The business about Obama and his birth certificate (and the question of whether he was or was not born in the US) was more straightforward and had more legitimacy (at least until Obama provided documentation showing where he was born) than this silly Rubio controversy. With the Obama situation, I can at least understand why people would wonder why he took so long to release his long form birth certificate. Seems like it was just a way for Obama to drag out an issue that he thought was to his political benefit, since it gave him an opportunity to ridicule his critics and taint them as conspiracy theorists.

So, I wouldn’t go so far as to say that the Rubio birthers are on par with the 9/11 truthers, but I would say their claim to simply be defending the Constitution is a bunch of bunk. There has to be something else motivating them.

bluegill on April 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM

DRayRaven on April 23, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Seems more likely to me that Rubio birtherism is due to ignorance or ideological/political opposition to Rubio… and I agree that the evidence is definitely weighted against the birthers.

I also think there is some appeal for people to thinking they know a secret or some fact that “they/the establishment/the man/the government/whoever” is trying to suppress. I mean, look at the 9/11 truther types, UFO researchers and people like Alex Jones. Conspiracy theories are like an entire industry or hobby for some people.

Not saying you’re wrong, but have you seen any evidence that racism is the motivation for a lot of these people?

bluegill on April 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

bluegill on April 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

No, it’s just my personal feeling. Maybe it’s more a strong suspicion. It would be hard to have actual evidence – most of them would vehemently deny they’re motivated by racial/ethnic bias even if they are.

I agree that’s part of it. They think they’re “in the know” and the rest of us are either ignorant or misled as to the Founders’ true intent. Conspiracy theories like Birtherism and Trutherism allows people to feel intellectually superior to everyone else without having to work for it. That’s why nothing anyone says will change their minds.

DRayRaven on April 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM

As for the Romney VP pick, what is your people’s problem with Ohio Sen. Rob Portman? Portman is thoroughly vetted, extremely experienced, knows his stuff… and, most importantly, HE CAN WIN OHIO FOR US.

I don’t care if Portman does nothing else but twiddle his fingers throughout the campaign, if he wins Ohio for us (A STATE WE MUST AND CAN WIN), then his selection will have been more than worth it. He already proved to be a big help when Romney won the Ohio primary.

We don’t need a flashy pick who is inspirational but lacks experience. We don’t need a pandering, gimmicky pick… been there, done that. We don’t need someone with a big mouth who will risk throwing the campaign off-message. What we need is to win the battleground states… and Ohio is a biggie.

Portman comes across as a very straight-up honest kind of a guy. There aren’t going to be any Perry-style “oops” moments with him or Palinesque, deer-in-headlights reactions during major tv interviews.

I have no patience with people who insist on going on and on about “the establishment” and how they are not going to want to vote for someone supposedly favored by the establishment. Sorry, but you people need to come back to reality and recognize beating Obama is more important than than being excited for a few months while your particular idol candidate is campaigning. Portman is conservative, he’s not scary, he’s not going to screw up and he is going to win us Ohio. That is enough for me!

bluegill on April 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM

The same Colin Powell who endorsed King Obama?

Here, have a beer. Better yet, let me give you the whole 6-pack.

JPeterman on April 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I can’t stand Powell since he voted for Obama. It was all about race. It was horrible.

But, you know what, if he could help us win this election, then I’m going to be Pro-Powell, all the way!!

The more I think about it, it could be a rather powerful statement if Powell were to say, as the VP nominee, something like, “Like many of you, I had great hopes for an Obama presidency. With regret I face the reality that Obama has failed to live up to his promise. What’s worse, he is taking us down a dangerous path. Although I still hold great respect for Barack Obama and for his desire to serve his country, I know that four more years of his leadership will lead to [fill in the blank]. Mitt Romney and I refuse to let us go down that path of continued debt and decline, etc. Our vision is…”

bluegill on April 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM

All aboard, all aboard! Now boarding the S.S. McCain II destination historic obscurity. Leave it to the GOP to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, and cuddle it, ever so closely, to their twisted little hearts.

DFCtomm on April 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Hillary is on record saying she’s done after this term politically so she’d be a flip flopper if she ran for anything.

Wagthatdog on April 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM

We all know the White House is more scared of Rubio than any other running mate.

Not only would the grass roots base rally around the ticket, but Florida be in the bag and several swing states with growing Latino populations would likely also swing into Romney’s column.

The only question is would Rubio accept? It would be in his best interest if he did no matter how the election turns out.

BradTank on April 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Whose Ox Gets Gored

Isn’t it interesting that the same people who are so tolerant about folks just landing here and wishing that we ignore legal requirements for office are so selective about it.

Let see, we have our President disposing of a rival with a challenge about signatures.

Of course, we never deport white folks. No Nazis, no Irish extremists, no spies and we certainly extradite no white criminals and send them back for prosecution.

This administration brags about deportation every chance it gets. It knows that illegal Latinos are bad news for the country but good news for Democratic Party prospects.

So which choice is made? Don’t run up but rather shaft the Stars and Stripes, of course.

IlikedAUH2O on April 23, 2012 at 2:21 PM

DRayRaven on April 23, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Se my note above and try to take notes as anything is used this season on opponents.

Like the guy who went to a $50,000 prep school in Hawaii talking about lacking a silver spoon.

Mere millionaires in Hawaii can’t afford his high school. But he never thanks grandma…just lionizes the dipso dad who deserted him.

Sick puppy.

IlikedAUH2O on April 23, 2012 at 2:28 PM

While I know it happens – I’ll never understand why someone being from your state made a difference in presidential voting. Particularly when it is just the VP we are talking about.

I understand that during the first 100 years of America,when people still felt more loyalty to their state citizens as opposed to the US, voting based on such things made some sense.

And more recently, 50 – 100 years ago, when regional differences were much more significant I could understand caring about that to some extent.

But in reality, if you basing your vote on “he’s from my state”, that’s just idiotic. I know it happens and a VP pick can sway some votes in the VP nominee’s home state – but that is just odd to me, that people are out there basing their votes on that.

I can just imagine some idiot saying “you know, I do like Obama and voted for him last time, but I like Portman too and he’s from here, so I’ll vote for Romney this time!!”.

It just makes no sense. It makes no sense that someone who likes Portman would have voted for Obama to begin with. So it makes less sense that they’ll now vote for Romney because of Portman.

Makes me weep for democracy.

Monkeytoe on April 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM

If he’s on the ticket, it’ll be very hard for 1-5 % of conservatives to vote for him. Constitutional conservatives believe that the eligigility requirements are very specific for a reason.

bill glass on April 23, 2012 at 4:38 PM

bill glass on April 23, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I doubt it’s that high a percentage. I’m sure there will be a few who don’t vote for Romney for this reason, but I would be very surprised if the number were even as much as 1%. Probably much less.

Monkeytoe on April 24, 2012 at 8:10 AM