Quotes of the day

posted at 9:01 pm on April 21, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Whitmire is an angry man. He is among a group of voters most skeptical of President Obama: noncollege-educated white males. He feels betrayed — not just by Obama, who won his vote in 2008, but by the institutions that were supposed to protect him: his state, which laid off his wife; his government in Washington, which couldn’t rescue homeowners who had played by the rules; his bank, which failed to walk him through the correct paperwork or warn him about a potential mortgage hike; his city, which penalized him for somebody else’s error; and even his employer, a construction company he likes even though he got laid off. ‘I was middle class for 10 years, but it’s done,’ Whitmire says. ‘I’ve lost my home. I live in a trailer now because of a mortgage company and an incompetent government.’

“Whitmire is a story of Muncie, and Muncie is the story of America. In this place—dubbed ‘Middletown’ by early 20th-century sociologists—people have lost faith in their institutions. Government, politics, corporations, the media, organized religion, organized labor, banks, businesses, and other mainstays of a healthy society are failing. It’s not just that the institutions are corrupt or broken; those clichés oversimplify an existential problem: With few notable exceptions, the nation’s onetime social pillars are ill-equipped for the 21st century. Most critically, they are failing to adapt quickly enough for a population buffeted by wrenching economic, technological, and demographic change…

“When people trust their institutions, they’re better able to solve common problems. Research shows that school principals are much more likely to turn around struggling schools in places where people have a history of working together and getting involved in their children’s education. Communities bonded by friendships formed at church are more likely to vote, volunteer, and perform everyday good deeds like helping someone find a job. And governments find it easier to persuade the public to make sacrifices for the common good when people trust that their political leaders have the community’s best interests at heart. ‘Institutions — even dysfunctional ones — are why we don’t run amok in the woods,’ Hansen says.”

***

“People in politics talk about the right track/wrong track numbers as an indicator of public mood. This week Gallup had a poll showing only 24% of Americans feel we’re on the right track as a nation. That’s a historic low. Political professionals tend, understandably, to think it’s all about the economy — unemployment, foreclosures, we’re going in the wrong direction. I’ve long thought that public dissatisfaction is about more than the economy, that it’s also about our culture, or rather the flat, brute, highly sexualized thing we call our culture.

“Now I’d go a step beyond that. I think more and more people are worried about the American character — who we are and what kind of adults we are raising.

“Every story that has broken through the past few weeks has been about who we are as a people. And they are all disturbing…

“The leveling or deterioration of public behavior has got to be worrying people who have enough years on them to judge with some perspective.

“Something seems to be going terribly wrong.”

***

“The irony is that the politicians who prevail in these gladiator contests inherit a system so bitter, so partisan and so ideologically polarized that they can’t accomplish anything. They know that they and their constituents would be better off if they cooperated and compromised more, but they just can’t. If they try, they face a serious risk of being run out of office, either in the next primary by someone who better appeals to the party’s political base, or in the general election by an opponent whose extremism has allowed him or her to energize the other side’s core voters.

“Politics has become a tragedy — a tragedy of the commons, that is. The individual pursuit of rational self-interest by parties and politicians, which in political and economic theory is supposed to generate the best outcome, has instead led to a cycle in which extremism, partisanship and stalemate all beget more of the same. We keep thinking it can’t continue like this, but it only gets worse…

“Arms races, free riding, tragedies of the commons — these failures in economic markets are well understood. The solutions usually involve some form of government action or regulation. But when similar failures occur in political markets, there are no institutions capable of stepping in and forcing the necessary collaboration or collective action.”

***

“‘There is a crisis of authority, and we’re not prepared to think about it in these terms,’ said Fukuyama. ‘When Americans think about the problem of government, it is always about constraining the government and limiting its scope.’ That dates back to our founding political culture. The rule of law, regular democratic rotations in power and human rights protections were all put in place to create obstacles to overbearing, overly centralized government. ‘But we forget,’ Fukuyama added, ‘that government was also created to act and make decisions.’…

“Indeed, America today increasingly looks like the society that the political scientist Mancur Olson wrote about in his 1982 classic ‘The Rise and Decline of Nations.’ He warned that when a country amasses too many highly focused special-interest lobbies — which have an inherent advantage over the broad majority, which is fixated on the well-being of the country as a whole — they can, like a multilimbed octopus, choke the life out of a political system, unless the majority truly mobilizes against them.

“To put it another way, says Fukuyama, America’s collection of minority special-interest groups is now bigger, more mobilized and richer than ever, while all the mechanisms to enforce the will of the majority are weaker than ever. The effect of this is either legislative paralysis or suboptimal, Rube Goldberg-esque, patched-together-compromises, often made in response to crises with no due diligence. That is our vetocracy.”

***

“There is a certain malaise lingering in the air, and I can think of at least two possible contributing factors.

“On one hand (and liberals are sure to agree here) there is a downside to ‘creative destruction.’ It is good, of course, that the automobile replaced the horse and buggy, but surely some Americans were hurt in the process. To be sure, it would have been silly for the nation not to adapt to modern technology, but that doesn’t mean some people weren’t left behind. Times of economic change and technological advancement are sure to create stress and dislocation. That’s part of what we’re going through today…

“As you might have guessed, I’m arguing that there is a politically underrepresented ‘populist’ constituency in America. Demographically, they are noncollege-educated whites. Philosophically, they are generally Christian conservatives who are also skeptical of big business. They are pro-gun and pro-union. They are pro-life and pro-tariff. They believe in God and government…

“So far, this group has not equaled electoral success. That might change, though, if times get even tougher.”

***

Via Gallup.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

The next best thing to be,
Free as a bird

Rusty Allen on April 22, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Rusty Allen on April 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I always loved that song. It’s easy to remember the words.

FloatingRock on April 22, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Towash on April 22, 2012 at 1:07 AM

An underemployed architect should be able to “link” better than that…

Gohawgs on April 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Weird. I’ve started using Firefox for HotAir because of the autoloading “feature” and the fact I can’t disable it with Chrome. However, for the links to YouTube, the videos render the people blue in tone.

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM

GoHawgs: Should be able to. But this is the Obamaconomy.

Towash on April 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Napalm Bombs and all that.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Atomic Dog

de rigueur on April 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM

That is weird. All of them?

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Atomic Dog

de rigueur on April 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I see what you did there. Hard for me to go much bigger than nukes, except nukes that tan.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM

for the links to YouTube, the videos render the people blue in tone.

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM

It’s probably a software issue, hard to tell without more info, but you might also want to make sure your monitor cable, if any, is properly secured on both ends.

FloatingRock on April 22, 2012 at 1:25 AM

It’s way past time that the Vatican took steps to intercede where many of these orders are concerned, but especially now with the ongoing threat to Religious Liberty that the Obama Administration is engaged in, which they, these womens-religious orders of question, are responsible for supporting and electing.

Lourdes on April 22, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Agree absolutely. The Vatican’s intercession is long overdue.

When I hear of these nuns, so-called religious women who are supposed to be faithful to their vows and to the Church, I always recall this book, which I have in my library: Ungodly Rage: The Hidden Face of Catholic Feminism. I was not personally acquainted with the types of women religious she talks about, so when I first read it, I was surprised that such radical views ever took hold as they did.

Some of the reviews for this book read exactly as you’d expect: feminists who are liberals first and maybe nominally Catholic, if they ever were in all but name, second. But Mrs. Steichen is the “intolerant” one for exposing these women and their aberrant perspectives and philosophies.

PatriotGal2257 on April 22, 2012 at 1:26 AM

That is weird. All of them?

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Yep. If I copy the links into Chrome, all is well. If I run them in FireFox, I see blue people. What is doubly weird is that the preview panes of linked videos on those same YouTube pages render the flesh tones appropriately. It seems like the Y signal is not being rendered in the flash player. I’m going to post this, get out of both FireFox and Chrome, then restart FireFox by itself to see if that clears things up.

BRB

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Well I’m out.

Good Night All.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Me, too.

Good night, Bmore.

PatriotGal2257 on April 22, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Night, Bmore.

Rusty Allen on April 22, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Can’t beat that. So, So Long, Mom.

de rigueur on April 22, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Interesting quotes of the day..need to read the thread.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:35 AM

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I have had trouble with flash on FF before, but not that way. Gee I guess if the restart doesn’t clear it, just double check the update, I have had problems there before also. Are you using the auto refresh blocker or did you just turn in off in preferences? Flash is on its way out. Its just gonna be a slow process me thinks.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Dang..Bmore is out..later man-have a good one.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Can’t beat that. So, So Long, Mom.

de rigueur on April 22, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Very forward looking of you. ; )

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Dang..Bmore is out..later man-have a good one.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I’m lingering for a minute. ; ) How is everything bazil9? Reading through the thread will present a modest challenge at best.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:37 AM

BRB

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Nope still blue people (including Rick James) in FireFox, correct skin tones in Chrome.

Not a fan of FireFox, it just runs so slowly under Linux. But much better than losing my place when HA decides to autoupdate while I’m mid-thread or posting.

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Ever since the world ended, I don’t go out as much.

de rigueur on April 22, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Could be worse, he could have broken a string.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:39 AM

My fire fox contribution…I use this PC for my business.
Fire Fox and the pop up blocker I added messed up my business online use.

Geek squad told me to use E Explorer for work and FF,Chrome for personal surfing ect..

Anyway, I am not tech savvy. All the add-ons I added had some weird errors depending what sites I went to ect.. Including here.

It is fixed now. Just my 2 cents.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:40 AM

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:39 AM

AZ, did you install this blocker? The one to the left. If you haven’t give it a try it will speed up FF hugely.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Good to see you. I am good. Had a nice dinner and evening.
I had to catch up on work today..but thats okay. At least I am working.

Just a modest challenge? Darn. :)

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I’ve just turned autoupdate off in preferences; I’ll have to look for the blocker extension to see if it behaves better than the preference selection. I don’t think that has anything to do with colors, would just like to see if I can get a bit better performance.

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Work is good! Dinner out? Hope you remembered to tip well. ; ) Bartenders especially.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Could be worse, he could have broken a string.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Kind of like that Twilight Zone episode, “Time Enough at Last,” where the guy survives WWIII, is left alone with the public library, and finally has time to catch up on his reading, and then…

de rigueur on April 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Yeah the color thing is just odd. Try the Abine blocker I linked you. It will increase speed here at HA big time.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM

What I gather so far..it is angry white men, who are not educated that are upset…heh.

I am an angry white woman who is educated…and super pissed.

On a side note..I am going through the process of getting a certification..to sell a govt product. Talk about messed up. I might change my mind about the certs.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Nothing lowbrow about this…

Gohawgs on April 22, 2012 at 1:46 AM

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Maybe it’s you video selections.

profitsbeard on April 22, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Haha, I worked in the restaurant biz through college. I tip well.

Nope, I made a wonderful pot roast dinner. I wanted some comfort food. Rainy day. It just fit my mood.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM

de rigueur on April 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM

One of the best all time. Didn’t that fellow die last year? I know his name its right on the tip of my tongue I just can’t……..I looked it up. Burgess Meredith as Henry Bemis. Man that was a great one!

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:49 AM

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Lovely, we made up a pot of chili. Cold here, and 3 inches of rain. I think it came up from your way. It rains here all the dang time. Mountain rain forrest and all. Almost as bad as Mobile.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Its cold enough here we have had a fire going. : (

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:52 AM

AZ, just to make sure you get the correct one.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Chili is also good comfort food on a rainy cold day.

Hot here (as usual) but we had 2 days of rain that was really needed. Before we get fires..so dry.

It sounds like you live in a beautiful area.

In the summer..we get daily tropical thunder storms-heavy rain. Everyday. I love it..but not if I have to go see clients or run errands.

Yep..the front moved up your way.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:55 AM

All these atomic-retro links, when here we are in the Age of Obama, and probably should be seeing The End from the dogs’ point of view:

This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

from The Hollow Men, by T. S. Eliot

de rigueur on April 22, 2012 at 1:55 AM

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:55 AM

It makes it hard to get my chores done. ; ) Good Night bazil9. : )

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Its cold enough here we have had a fire going. : (

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Sounds good to me..I live in heat 9 months of the year. I have had the AC on since March. We had a mild winter.

You said Mrs B wants a Fl vacation..come on down..nice and hot. :)

She needs her sand fix.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Good night Mr B.

Have a nice night.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Just downloaded and installed that extension.

Maybe it’s you video selections.

profitsbeard on April 22, 2012 at 1:47 AM

See, everybody looks like that to FireFox. Great if you are into BMG.

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:58 AM

AZ, just to make sure you get the correct one.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I did get the right one. Thanks; that made a huge difference. I wasn’t waiting 30 seconds after posting to see the page reload. Much appreciated.

AZfederalist on April 22, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Heh. The quotes of the day remind me of the phenomenon that when a Republican administration is failing, it’s because he’s incompetent, stupid, extreme, etc., but when a Democrat administration is failing, “the nation has become un-governable“. That’s about the gist of today’s quotes, right?

joe_doufu on April 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Nothing lowbrow about this…

Gohawgs on April 22, 2012 at 1:46 AM

My favorite part of that clip was watching how happy the audience was. They probably know the words better than the band.

arnold ziffel on April 22, 2012 at 2:02 AM

For the folks on the Hatch thread.

Bmore on April 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Haha, why I luv ya Bmore. Too funny.

Crazzzay people. We got a few here.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Seems to be one of the first ones everyone remembers.

But can’t turn in on that note. As William Buckley replied in a Playboy magazine interview, when asked what he wanted for an epitaph: “I know that my redeemer liveth.”

So out on this one from Jimmy Cliff.

de rigueur on April 22, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Ever since the world ended, I don’t go out as much.

de rigueur on April 22, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Barry had it covered

arnold ziffel on April 22, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Lourdes on April 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I know I give you hell from time to time..but I agreed with your comment. I am not Catholic but I find this very confusing.

I asked a friend of mine that leans right and is a Catholic-what the deal is. She said many Catholics focus on the poor/social justice. Many at her church lean left.

Anyway..I find it very confusing. I see two extremes. Rick Santorum and Nancy P.
I would like to hear from Catholic commenters here for a better understanding.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I see I am late to the Saturday night party.

Took an afternoon nap and am wide awake.

After a quick thread scan.

Floating rock..I sometimes disagree with you but you make some good points.
Maybe Rand will be running in the future.
I can’t and will never vote Daddy Paul.

I see Joana is still at it.

I never jumped on the Santorum wagon..regardless of my dislike of Mitt. I voted Newt. Others here did not either. Your an odd duck.
Like it or not..the evangelicals are a large part of the GOP base.

Inc brought up a good point.
“Demographically, they are noncollege-educated whites. Philosophically, they are generally Christian conservatives who are also skeptical of big business. They are pro-gun and pro-union. They are pro-life and pro-tariff. They believe in God and government…”

huh?

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Fou our lil annual flower, I know you’re lurking…

See y’all tomorrow…

Gohawgs on April 22, 2012 at 2:38 AM

nite peeps.

Wishing everyone a super Sunday.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 2:39 AM

I would like to hear from Catholic commenters here for a better understanding.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I think it has a lot to do with what denomination of priests/nuns that run the parish one belongs to. Jesuits, for example, are known to be the most “liberal” and more concerned with social justice issues & education (hence all the schools — like Georgetown — and free “poverty law clinics” run by the Jesuits). This grows out of their interpretation that “whatever you do to the least of my people . . .” equals standing up for social justice (i.e., if you are to put yourself in the place of the least advantaged in society, you would choose options that most benefit the least advantage — kind of like the theory behind Kant’s Veil of Ignorance). Other denominations, however, while certainly doing work with the poor & disadvantaged, take a more conservative approach to social justice issues. Some are so conservative it is like Vatican II never happened (and I think Rick Santorum falls into that category).

Nancy Pelosi, however, is just an ignorant s**t — I wouldn’t count her as any kind of example of a Catholic. No denomination, not the Jesuits, not any of them, has her stance on abortion, for example. IMO, she practices situational morality (specifically “I’m right, those who disagree are wrong”), not Catholicism.

Dark Star on April 22, 2012 at 2:43 AM

“Something seems to be going terribly wrong.”

Yeah, duh. It’s called liberal progressive socialism. It’s everything the democrats have been shoving down our throats for as long as I can remember now, since I was in school from 1969 on.

Every year it’s become more and more about entitlements, cradle to grave government, abdication of personal responsibility to that massive government while with the other hand the gov’t removes that dreaded freedom. It’s become about social justice and wealth redistribution rather than a dream of a career or even just a good job, and a home to raise a family in. It’s no longer about RAISING a family either, it’s about screwing your brains out and letting the little monster loose on society and yet again abdicating more responsibility for what you did with your crotch.

Liberals have put us here, and republicans enabled them. Now it’s time to toss people like van jones and farakhan onto the funeral pyre and light that sucker up using their precious green and socialist rule books as kindle.

If you sit on your ass this november and let these scum continuously rule your life, you don’t deserve that life. It’s not likely the fascist liberals are going to let you keep it once you start costing the government money anyway. So do us all a favor, if you’re planning on voting liberal progressive socialist (democrat) just go ahead and jump off a cliff now for the rest of our sakes, eh?

Wolfmoon on April 22, 2012 at 3:29 AM

To quote one of Allahpundit’s often used statements, “it’s come to this.”

Army cancels Ted Nugent’s concert at Fort Knox over Obama comments

“After learning of opening act Ted Nugent’s recent public comments about the president of the United States, Fort Knox leadership decided to cancel his performance on the installation,” according to an announcement posted Saturday on the base’s Facebook page.

Say something perceived to be a “threat” against the Dog Eater In Chief and they go after your livelihood, completely ignoring this one little nagging fact:

On Thursday, the Secret Service said it resolved questions regarding comments that Nugent, a conservative activist and gun rights advocate, made about Obama during a speech at an NRA convention in St. Louis, Missouri.

Flora Duh on April 22, 2012 at 4:37 AM

“[S]omething fundamental seems to have changed in the political marketplace. The winning strategy is no longer to be more moderate than your opponent, to offer a bigger tent. Instead, it is to be more zealous and committed to your party’s ideology…”

“If I wanted America to fail”

Flora Duh on April 22, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Right on the nail head. We are merely experiencing the inevitable result of the revolution (Sixties/seventies) against all authority – moral and civic (the first causes the second) spawned by the youth and embraced by their hedonistic and eager elders. We have chosen to defy the Author (God) of life and the one Person who has given us our rights (Nature’s God)
The secular enemies of God (the Communists) have indeed buried us, completing what they publicly set out to do, destroy our families,sexualize our culture, pervert science and education, infiltrate our institutions, our media, worship the earth instead of wise use. They have turned our religious institutions from a mission of salvation to pursuing leftist “social justice” -a Caesar run paradise on earth and last, but not least, we have so perverted God’s gift of sex, that we aggressively choose to slaughter our own flesh and blood,perverting the very concept of law in the process.
It is we, indoctrinated by improper understanding of the very dignity we have been given as humans, that have committed spiritual and now political suicide.

Don L on April 22, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Wolfman
well said, very well said ………..

angrymike on April 22, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Post Lewinsky America.

Saltysam on April 22, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Don L on April 22, 2012 at 5:56 AM

“When the unclean spirit has gone out of a man, he passes through waterless places seeking rest, but he finds none.
Then he says, `I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when he comes he finds it empty, swept, and put in order.
Then he goes and brings with him seven other spirits more evil than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man becomes worse than the first. So shall it be also with this evil generation.”

Mark 12:43-45
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Progressives are gone; there’s little hope of turning them around, their perspective having been so corrupted by generations of Kantian-Hegelian Collectivistthink that we’re not even speaking the same language or processing information the same way any longer.

But if those calling themselves Conservative no longer recognize the Source of their freedoms and are unable to defend it on THAT basis, what hope is there for ever turning back the spirits that are eating away at the foundations of our Liberty?

Cleombrotus on April 22, 2012 at 8:38 AM

What, now we’re getting the finger of blame pointed at us? Sorry I don’t buy it. It’s always about leadership and we don’t have any. They play their power grab games and grease all the palms it takes to get the seat in office or the oval office. Our dear leader has nothing but ‘fairness’ on his mind and that’s no way to run this country. He panders to a group one day and then tells us a different story the next. What does he have in store for us in the next four years. Look at what Putin has achieved.

Kissmygrits on April 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I would like to hear from Catholic commenters here for a better understanding.

bazil9 on April 22, 2012 at 2:15 AM

The two extremes exist in my family. On the one side are traditional Catholics who vote Republican and feel that being Catholic means you follow the Church’s teachings on all things, including abortion and contraception. On the other side are liberal Catholics who vote Democrat and feel that you can focus on the parts you think are important and ignore those you don’t (they are called “cafeteria” Catholics by the traditional Catholics). The traditionals voted for McCain. The liberals voted for Obama, despite his obvious support for abortion, because they felt that being anti-war and closing Gitmo were more important than being anti-abortion (bit of a wasted vote, seems to me).

Pelosi is a politician, first, foremost and always. Her Catholicism is a sticker she slaps on for show when she needs it.

inmypajamas on April 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Kissmygrits on April 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM

The point isn’t blame; it’s solution.

Cleombrotus on April 22, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Whitmire says, ‘I’ve lost my home. I live in a trailer now because of a mortgage company and an incompetent government.’

Sounds like Mr. Whitmire’s disappointment with the president/government is based on some twisted thinking. I can feel sorry about the job losses for him and his wife, but to blame a mortgage company because he did not understand the terms of his home loan, is just evidence of not wanting to accept responsibility for his own carelessness. And do people not understand that there is a risk with any real estate investment? This man believes the government should have rescued him and spared him from the downside of that risk and any loss? Sheez… it’s that kind of thinking that explains why this man voted for Obama in the first place. And there are too many others that think just like him.

lynncgb on April 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Flora Duh on April 22, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Given his proud description of avoiding the draft during Viet Nam it never ceases to amaze me how many self professed conservatives crawl on their knees to carry his water….

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

The problem is that people moved away from self-reliance and put all their faith in these institutions in the first place.

mbs on April 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Cheap shot.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I hope its okay if all the folks that are drawn to these shows vote your way Bradky. Cause we wouldn’t want to sway them would we? They might vote 0 otherwise.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Societal trust in institutions is inversely proportional to the ability of those institutions to tell the truth. And lately we don’t allow people to tell the truth about race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, or ethics.
So we know instinctively that much of the society around us is a sham. How can you trust what is built on such an edifice of lies? I’m reminded of the Matthew 7:26 caution about building your house on a foundation of sand.
We even have a phrase we use to describe the situation, it’s “political correctness”. A polite way of telling ourselves the truth doesn’t matter. Only it does.

Metanis on April 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

“Ted was a young boy, appearing to be a hippie but quite opposite in fact, working hard and playing hard, playing rock and roll like a deviant. People would question my sanity, I played so much… I was 18…” retold in 1977 to High Times. Meh.

It’s hard to remember what it was like back then. Body counts on the news every night. I have the utmost respect for those who served but it was a confusing time.

Fallon on April 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Oh and one more thing there Bradky before I leave. Do you hold sway over that many potential voters? I’ll check back. I always do.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Good morning Fallon. The coffee is excellent! Cold here. Fire on the porch this a.m. ; )

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 10:29 AM

‘Morning, Bmore. Thank you for your comment about the food blog (from a comment a few days ago). It was a lot more work than I realized when I started it.

It got down to 31° here last night. My pansies looked a bit frozen this morning. They’ll recover but it was cold.

I saw Nugent play on July 4th, 1976 (the Bicentennial). This link is wrong though. Ted wasn’t the headliner, Foghat was. I took my little sister and we left before Foghat came on to go see the fireworks. They were spectacular that year.

Fallon on April 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Fallon on April 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Good Times! Nugent on a 4th is a great 4th! This global warming is not helping my garden.: ( I love food, so it is natural for me to enjoy the blog, Yum! My better half has started a blog relating to her business. She says the same thing. No idea how much effort it entails to keep it current and interesting. She also enjoyed yours as she loves to cook. ; ) Time to put another log on the fire for me.

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM

groan….and who do you suppose is responsible for electing these dastardly evil leaders?

Don L on April 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM

What third party in existence do you imagine to be a game-changer?

By electing one man from a third party as President, how does that give the two dominant parties “the boot”? They’ll still make the laws and the budgets.

Remember how McCain’s gang of fourteen controlled both parties, bringing them to their knees?

A third party would give a large groups plenty of power – becausethey would no longer have to wait for the GOP to fight the left.

I can well see a marriage between the two groups most hated by both parties, the social cons (a euphemism for those who don’t hate God) and the tea party (a euphemism for those who don’t support the systematic destruction of America by both entrenched parties.

Why would any sane person support that which brought us to the edge of the cliff and have no intentions of altering their course?

Don L on April 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Sorry for the bad link to this book I posted last night.
This should take you to the preview and the reviews.

Ungodly Rage: The Hidden Face of Catholic Feminism

PatriotGal2257 on April 22, 2012 at 11:34 AM

The biggest problem in the long run.

RalphyBoy on April 22, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Here’s something else that may “amaze” you Babycakes. I’ve never attended a Nugent concert, never listened to any of his music, actually only saw him sing for a few minutes on Huckabee’s show sometime last year.

In fact, when I first heard about “Nugent” pissing off the left because of something he had said about Obama, I was hoping maybe my Congressman Rich Nugent had grown a pair.

But it’s nice to see you’re still sticking with the favorite liberal tactic of, “when you can’t debate an issue, deflect it.”

Flora Duh on April 22, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Not a cheap shot. These are facts that he admitted to.
Years before the Viet Nam Memorial was built on the mall the cowards who ran to Canada were given amnesty for their eternal and cowardly actions. Each of those people in my opinion has a name on the Viet Nam wall that took their place.

58,000+ people died for their country. Many of them were only 18 or 19 years old. they made a choice to serve regardless of their reservations about the war — they did what their country asked. People like Nugent were selfish and cowardly. Seeing him flying around Iraq in helicopters stroking the big guns like an extension of his penis was disgusting beyond the pale.

Sorry Bmore and Fallon – there is no excuse for defending this type of person. Because he says negative things about Obama and is a big second amendment advocate is not enough to excuse this inconvenient fact. Like Hanoi Jane when he truly steps up and admits his cowardice and disdain for his country “while a youth” he will get no consideration from me.

Whether I hold sway over one voter or a million is not the issue Bmore – it is a principal. If your principles are squishy and driven by how much someone leans to your political persuasion that is your call. Mine aren’t.

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Flora Duh on April 22, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Your slobbering embrace of him was enough…babycakes.

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Bmore, Fallon and Duh — response got caught in the filter. Long story short — 58,000 people gave their life for their country in Vietnam. Many were younger than Nugent was and made the decision to serve despite the risk.
Unfortunately many like Nugent actively dodged serving. They were given amnesty and a pass 5 years before the VietNam memorial was built.
I don’t care how good of a rocker he is nor how conservative. He is a stain.
You forgive the actions of those who lean your way. I don’t – principle is principle.
Would love to hear any of you three defend Hanoi Jane.

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Your slobbering embrace of him was enough…babycakes.

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Sorry, as I told one of your comrades here the other day, I don’t play the “when you can’t debate an issue, deflect it” game – but since you brought up “slobbering” – Obama ate dog.

Now bugger off troll.

But enjoy the rest of your day while doing so.

Flora Duh on April 22, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Flora Duh on April 22, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Woof!

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Would love to hear any of you three defend Hanoi Jane.

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Jane Fonda was born on December 21, 1937. She was 34 years old when she made her infamous trip to North Vietnam and was in her 30′s when she participated in anti-war demonstrations and rallies.

Ted was 18. Repeat, Jane Fonda was 34. Ted Nugent was 18.

No one asked you to forgive him. It’s still a free country, you can have your opinion. But remember, King Bradky isn’t in charge of telling everyone who they must forgive and who they must not. It just isn’t your job.

And, the took two took very different roads after ‘Nam. That counts for something with me. Let he who is without sin and all that…

Fallon on April 22, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Woof!

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I wouldn’t do that too close to the White House.

Fallon on April 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I wouldn’t do that too close to the White House.

Fallon on April 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM

ZING!

Flora Duh on April 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Bmore on April 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Not a cheap shot. These are facts that he admitted to.

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Golly. Such high-flown patriotic self-righteousness. (Psst, it’s a “principle,” not “principal.”) One almost hears the strains of “Barn in the USA” the way he shovels it.

de rigueur on April 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Bradky on April 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Here is what I can say to you Bradky.

I don’t

crawl on their knees to carry his water….

It is a

Cheap shot.

I’m not

defending this type of person

Mine aren’t

principles are squishy

Merely your opinion.

He is a stain

And last but not least this rich statement.

You forgive the actions of those who lean your way.

Remind me again who you’re supporting this time round. Still funny, thin skinned but funny! ; ) Sounds like you might qualify for a time out. Here let me send you the rest of the way off your tracks. Palin! Funny!

Bmore on April 23, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Good night Old Woman.
Good night Old Man!
Goodnight, John.
Goodnight, Grandpa.
Yuck! Goodnight, everybody.

timberline on April 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Good Night timberline , Sleep Well.

Bmore on April 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM

de rigueur on April 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM

; )

Bmore on April 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Let him focus on the big stuff like repealing Obamacare, passing the Ryan budget, reforming entitlements, and reducing the size of government.

Doughboy on April 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Romney has already made it quite clear he has no intention of repealing Obamacare

He said flat out he would not repeal the individual mandate.

Bunch of yahoos.