Thanks for a year to remember!

posted at 6:06 pm on April 20, 2012 by Tina Korbe

As Ed indicated in his kind post this morning, today is my last day to write full-time for HotAir.com. It has been an honor to write alongside two of the very best bloggers in the business and to contribute to such a vibrant online community on a daily basis.

When I first accepted the position of Associate Editor, I had the vague idea that working for a website founded by Michelle Malkin, who has long been one of my personal heroes, and working with the great Ed Morrissey and inimitable Allahpundit would be the equivalent of “blogging bootcamp.” That vague idea turned out to be correct, but no generalized visualization of a new media editor’s day-to-day routine is a substitute for actually living that day-to-day routine. What I thought I knew about blogging before I began this job I relearned every single day: It is demanding work!  It is demanding not only in the sense that “the beast demands to be fed” — in our case every 35 minutes or so — but also in the sense that it requires a mind that “never succumbs” …  to false information, to illogical arguments, to petty criticisms or to personal attacks … nor to praise, egoism or cynicism, the tool of the lazy thinker. (A skeptic demands to be shown. A cynic refuses to be shown.) Whether I possessed such a mind when I began this job, I don’t know — but I know I come closer to having such a mind now. Wherever I go, I’ll take with me the discipline and perseverance that were so strongly reinforced in me by this year.

Some of you will disagree with me even about this (you always do!). You’ll say that blogging does require an ego or that cynicism is the mark of a seasoned blogger. As always, your criticisms will have truth in them. It does require an ego to think that anybody actually cares what you think. Observing the political cycle for more than a single season would tempt anyone to cynicism.

Still, I maintain the best writers — writers like Ed and Allah! — aren’t in the service of themselves; they’re not attempting to make their own names known. They’re in the service of a message, a message that goes beyond them. It’s no accident that people speak of the influence of the conservative blogosphere in a general sense far more often than they speak of the influence of individual conservative bloggers. It’s the conservative message — the message that it’s worth it in every sense to take responsibility for ourselves and our own lives, to direct our own lives as we see fit — that’s overwhelming and irresistible. That message is the source of any conservative’s influence. Professionally speaking, that’s what I’ve always hoped and still hope to be — a writer with a meaningful message.

Thank you all for engaging my ideas so thoughtfully, for introducing so many thought-provoking ideas yourselves, for encouraging me and even for discouraging me: It was a privilege to learn from you. Thank you also to the silent majority of Hot Air readers: You make this site possible.

It is a source of great pleasure and pride to me to note that some of you think I served the conservative message well in my time here — particularly with my pro-life and pro-gender-difference posts. To me, the right to life and the freedom to be as we were created, both male and female, are fundamental to the ordering of society. I will never stop “shilling” for the ideas that life begins at conception, that the human fetus is a human person no less than the human baby or the human toddler, that men and women are, in fact, different, that we were created in relationship and that we were created to be in relationship with one another, primarily through the formation of families.

That last sentence brings me to my future: Like any true conservative (especially any Catholic conservative), I believe strongly in the principle of subsidiarity, in the idea that problems are best solved at the most local level possible, starting with the family. It brings me so much joy and peace to think I’ll soon be starting the lifelong adventure of marriage, which I hope and pray will lead to children someday, too. The family my fiancé and I ultimately create will always be our first priority.

As Ed wrote, I’ll also soon be working as Policy Impact Director at the Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs — and that, too, is an awesome prospect to me. The decision to seek — and, fortunately, to be offered — a position at the state level was also driven by my belief in the genius of federalism. The Oklahoma policy scene is particularly exciting at the moment. It’s a time of both challenge and opportunity in what we conservative Okies like to brag is “the reddest state in the country.” My particular position will entail policy research, writing, editing, media relations and development work, among other responsibilities.   It’s my hope that it will enable me to have a measurably positive impact on problems particularly close to home.

In addition to all of that, I also plan to resume some personal writing projects that I’ve had on hold for some time. Plus, as Ed said, I’ll still be writing in the Green Room occasionally, popping up in the comments section and sounding off on Twitter (@TinaKorbe).

When I left The Heritage Foundation to work at HotAir.com, I had the sense that I was still working for Heritage because I was still working in the conservative movement. I have the same sense now. Conservatives have every reason to be optimistic that our cause will succeed on the strength of our message and on our willingness to work tirelessly to complete whatever jobs and tasks we’re given as our own. We know, as T.S. Eliot said, “There’s no such thing as a lost cause — because there’s no such thing as a gained cause. We fight because we know that our defeat and dismay may be the preface to our successors’ victory.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Good luck Tina!

Paradox Drive on April 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Good luck kid.

Learn to go for the jugular.

You done good.

avgjo on April 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Godspeed, Tina. I’m sure the believers here will keep you in their prayers, and we will all keep you in our thoughts.

gryphon202 on April 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I’ve appreciated your work here; good luck in your endeavor.

theCork on April 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Best of luck Tina

gophergirl on April 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Good luck in your new pursuits, Tina. I hope we’ll be reading you in future on other sites, as well.

MadisonConservative on April 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Congratulations on your new gig.

But, nothing can beat your time working with Pinky and the Brain here at Hot Air.

We who will remain behind will continue onward…as we do every night…trying to take over the world.

coldwarrior on April 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Good luck on your new endeavor!

If I may offer one suggestion, go to Robert Spencer’s site, and learn about the true nature of islam.

Rebar on April 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Baby please don’t go
Back to New Orleans
You know it hurts me so
Baby please don’t go

JohnBrown on April 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Thanks Tina, good luck and I’m sure we will see you around.

Metanis on April 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Enjoyed it!!..Best wishes Tina!..:)

Dire Straits on April 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Sad day/Happy day…Growth means change. The best of luck and success to you Tina!
Wherever I see your name, I will read the thoughts you have written.

Mimzey on April 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Congrats Tina! Look forward to your future posts.

txhsmom on April 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Oh and marriage is AWESOME!!! So are children.

txhsmom on April 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

“Cheers to the past year, in which we fought alongside each other here — and here’s to fighting alongside each other on other fronts in the future.”

Though we sometimes–well, most of the times–act like children fighting amongst ourselves…most of us do realize what the fight is all about. You have stood your test by fire–and come through graciously. Good luck and happiness in your new job–you earned it!!!

lovingmyUSA on April 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Best wishes Tina, and thanks for a year of some great blogging.

simkeith on April 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

All the best, young Tina!! Godspeed in your soon-to-be-marriage and your new endeavor.

Bitter Clinger on April 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Best wishes. I always enjoyed your take on things and a lot of your posts were unique in the regard of not something you would expect from Ed or Allah.

Southernblogger on April 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM

“the beast demands to be fed”

LOL

We love you too. Best of luck Tina in all you decide to do. Don’t be a stranger.

Hog Wild on April 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed your posts even though we didn’t always agree. Best of luck to you and God Bless!

sandee on April 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Good luck Tina..get yourself a place in OK with a nice storm cellar!

DrW on April 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Thank you, Tina, for all of your work and for your dedication to the cause of preserving what is good and noble about our nation and changing that which has become overbearing and ignoble.

Best of luck in all of your future endeavors; not that you’ll need it.

hillbillyjim on April 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Best wishes, Tina.

ladyingray on April 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Here’s a musical tribute, I Knew You When. Which was probably a hit before your parents were born.

Good luck to you in everything you do…

Fallon on April 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Best wishes, Tina! Your posts have added some nice variety to those other guys’ writings. Changing jobs & getting married are too of the most stressful life changes — be sure to take time for yourself over the next months, so you don’t get burned out or cynical — those syndromes can turn you into a liberal! ;-)

KS Rex on April 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM

All good things to you as you pursue new ventures, Tina.

whatcat on April 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Oooooklahoma where the wheat comes sweepin’ down the plains….

Get used to that song, Tina.

And go to alot of Seattle Super Sonic Oklahoma Thunder Games while you’re there.

portlandon on April 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Good luck Tina, it’s been a real pleasure reading you for the past year. And please ignore the haters and don’t forget to block CoolChange80 on Twitter!

JPeterman on April 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM

wheat wind

portlandon on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Best of luck to you Tina. I have enjoyed your work and wish you the best in windy OK.

Dawnsblood on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Good Luck Tina.

Dr Evil on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Let’s just hope Allah doesn’t go and get engaged, too.

TexasDan on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Thanks Tina and good luck to you.

CoffeeLover on April 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Bonne chance, Tina :-)…

jimver on April 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Let’s just hope Allah doesn’t go and get engaged, too.

TexasDan on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

What would his kitteh say?

hillbillyjim on April 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Thank you, Dr Pepper.

Rusty Allen on April 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

So, what I’m hearing is that there’s an opening at HotAir…. ;)

All kidding aside, congrats on the new job (and the pending marriage), Tina!

JadeNYU on April 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Best wishes!

McDuck on April 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Let’s just hope Allah doesn’t go and get engaged, too.

TexasDan on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

What would his kitteh say?

hillbillyjim on April 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

“Yes”?

whatcat on April 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Thanks, Tina, for all you did here, and best wishes to you in your new position!

petefrt on April 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Tina, you really have a knack for reporting on the stories I am most interested in, sure hate to see you go. But much happiness and success to you and God Bless !

Axion on April 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Nice pic of you and Allahpundit. Best Wishes.

Valiant on April 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM

The very best of luck to you in all your future endeavors. Stop by and say ‘Hi!’ once in a while.

trigon on April 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Good luck and best wishes.

FlatFoot on April 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM

“It was a privilege to learn from you.”
The pleasure has been mine, ours. ; )

Bmore on April 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

We’ll miss you! (and we were hoping you’d post a picture of yourself with AP!) :D

michaelo on April 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

“… I’ll still be writing in the Green Room occasionally, popping up in the comments section and sounding off on Twitter (@TinaKorbe).”

I knew you couldn’t stay away from our drinking games…

… It has been an honor and a pleasure Tina.

May you find and enjoy the success you so richly deserve…

*clink*

Cheers!

Seven Percent Solution on April 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Let’s just hope Allah doesn’t go and get engaged, too.

TexasDan on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM
What would his kitteh say?

hillbillyjim on April 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Just thinking out loud here, but is the famed-yet-anonymous Allahpundit the famed-yet-notorious Greg Gutfeld??

Sacramento on April 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Your welcome – just keep telling us all the things the d-cRAT stooges and puppets in the socialist media don’t – like THE TRUTH, THE FACTS and REALITY.

TeaPartyNation on April 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Thanks, Tina, loved your writing and contributions here, and your fresh spirit. Now, if that lucky fella you’re a hitchin’ ever misbehaves badly (meaning beyond the standard misbehaving all us boys do) you just give me the Code Red and problem is solved! ;-) (My friends call me “Wolf”, no not for that reason, but as in Winston Wolfe, Harvey Keitel’s character in Pulp Fiction.)

You’ll be dearly missed and best wishes in all things, your career, marriage, and as a Mom one day — you’ll make a great one, BTW!

– TXUS

TXUS on April 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Let’s just hope Allah doesn’t go and get engaged, too.

TexasDan on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

What would his kitteh say?

hillbillyjim on April 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

“Yes”?

whatcat on April 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Heh.

hillbillyjim on April 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM

nice knowing you!

gemini on April 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Best of luck Tina! I’ve always enjoyed reading your material and I wish you the best in your journey.

Flashwing on April 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM

==================================================================

Thank-you Tina for all your hard work at H/A,it was
a privelege to comment on your posts,with a Conservative
Womens insight,I will miss your postys,best of luck,and
Happy Trails,where ever you and your Beau travel to,in
Life and vocation————————————-:)

canopfor on April 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Best of luck Tina. I have enjoyed your posts.

rbj on April 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Been a pleasure. I really loved your pro-life articles, like the one further down the main page. You write about the life issue with a passion that transcends Ed’s cold logic on the issue – which I agree with btw. This place really will need a lady’s touch after the past year. I’ve gotten used to being a cynic and really grew to appreciate appreciate having a blogger around who can occasionally pull on the old heart strings, AP’s tear-jerking canine stories notwithstanding.

abobo on April 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Seven Percent Solution on April 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Clink!

Bmore on April 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Let’s just hope Allah doesn’t go and get engaged, too.

TexasDan on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

What would his kitteh say?

hillbillyjim on April 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

“Yes”?

whatcat on April 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM

lol

When’s the wedding?

Happy trails Tina! You’ll always be welcome in these parts. Ya’ll come back, now, ya’hear!

Cloture on April 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Let’s just hope Allah doesn’t go and get engaged, too.

TexasDan on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Who, or what, would marry him? ;-)

TXUS on April 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Best of Luck , and of course, Happy Trails.

and always remember, Be shy no longer……

FlaMurph on April 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Thanks for your work Tina, God be with you.

deptofredundancydept on April 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Congratulations. Thank you for the year of clear writing, and concise thought. Health and happiness to you as you meet life’s new challenges. Oklahoma is getting the better end of this deal.

juanito on April 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Nice pic of you and Allahpundit. Best Wishes.

Valiant on April 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM

It’s not possible to see Allahpundit. He’s the invisible man.

backwoods conservative on April 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Good luck! Your perspective and your voice will truly be missed.

Just Sayin on April 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

To riff off a line from Oklahoma!, “You’re doing fine, Tina Korbe.” Best to you and your maman’em.

Christien on April 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Best of luck to you Tina.

Yakko77 on April 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

*clink*

Cheers!

Seven Percent Solution on April 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Seven Percent Solution:*Clinks with Tea Cup,in Solidarity,
and Salutey to Tina* as well:)

canopfor on April 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

C’mon, spill the beans. Whose your favorite commenter on here, Tina? *ahem* *cough*

Again, best of luck to you!

SouthernGent on April 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Bravo. I have never been this impressed with a young writer and commentator, and I’m certain we’ll be hearing from you for many years.

Best,

Jaibones on April 20, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Good luck and thanks for the reading material!

Alinsky on April 20, 2012 at 6:38 PM

As a Tulsan, nice job on HA, and welcome back indeed to the “reddest state in the country”. Couple more elections and the Green Party will out poll the dums dums here.

msupertas on April 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Has it been a year already? My, how time flies when you’re having fun.

It’s been a pleasure having you here, Tina. You’ve made my favorite blog a nicer place to be. Good luck to you in all your future endeavors.

backwoods conservative on April 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

thanks for all your hard work; i’ve enjoyed your writing.
Boomer Sooner! we’ll save a seat for you at the tailgate!

burserker on April 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Good luck Tina!

The people of Oklahoma are the most generous, kind, giving congenial and accepting folks I have ever met and befriended. Lived in T-Town for 10 years. They would giver you the shirt off their backs if you needed.

Take Care and Enjoy God’s Country!

uhangtight on April 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Clink!

Bmore on April 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM

(raises glass)

“To Tina…!”

*clink*

Seven Percent Solution on April 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

“the beast demands to be fed”

That’s always been the secret to Hot Gas: content content content. AP and Bryan started that under MM, and with the addition of Ed, The Headlines, and The Green Room, HA is flooded with content, and all of it is top notch. And for a year, Tina, you have been a great addition to that tradition. May God bless you in your next job. Don’t forget us!

Weight of Glory on April 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM

*clink*

Seven Percent Solution on April 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

*clink*

Weight of Glory on April 20, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Let’s just hope Allah doesn’t go and get engaged, too.

TexasDan on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM
————————————–
What would his kitteh say?

hillbillyjim on April 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM
——————————————
“Yes”?

whatcat on April 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM

whatcat:Lol,Kitteh would (really say)clean my Biffy Blues
(S**T Box),before you go out prowling.I have 3 cats,
oy…..!:)

canopfor on April 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Bon voyage, Tina. I enjoyed many a post by you, and found you to be well versed and thoughtful. I always had the sense that you picked your topics wisely and did not try to weigh in on other topics for the sheer heck of it. I’m sure you picked your next venture wisely as well. Best of luck.

Western_Civ on April 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Good luck Tina.
Keep Fighting For The Future of America.

redridinghood on April 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Good luck, Tina! You were the author of, I think, the one and only political blog post I ever put on my Facebook page, which is saying something. (Usually, I don’t like to start political arguments amongst my friends, but that one was too good to pass up.)

acasilaco on April 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Nice pic of you and Allahpundit. Best Wishes.
Valiant on April 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM
It’s not possible to see Allahpundit. He’s the invisible man.
backwoods conservative on April 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Allah is the one in the black hat.

Alinsky on April 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM

To Tina! Clink!

Bmore on April 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Weight of Glory on April 20, 2012 at 6:41 PM

*clink*
(sips with pinky in the air)

abobo on April 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Good luck with your new job, Tina! We will miss you here at HotAir, but know you will still be working hard to help the Conservative Movement.

And most importantly, best wishes for a life of love and happiness in your marriage!

wren on April 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Tradition states that best wishes go to the bride and congratulations go to the groom. But you can have both! Finding a good man is certainly an accomplishment deserving of congratulations. Enjoy your new adventures, both family wise and career wise.

Rose on April 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I’ve really enjoyed your work, Tina. Congratulations and I do look forward to reading more.

Mr. D on April 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

A toast for Tina:

Here’s to those who wish you well
May all the rest go straight to Hell

Though they be many and we be few
To Hell with them and …
Here’s to you. *clink*

TXUS on April 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Best of luck, Tina.

kingsjester on April 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

This last post might be your best. Congratulations and best wishes for your future.

Gladtobehere on April 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Thanks and good luck to you, Tina.

Happy Trails!

Del Dolemonte on April 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Sorry to see you go Tina, you made a positive impact on Hot Air, wish you much success in the future.

waelse1 on April 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Best of luck in your new endeavor! Thanks for your efforts here at Hot Gas!

ExpressoBold on April 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

“Yes”?

whatcat on April 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Kitteh would scratch, HISS and so, oh the hell NO!

ladyingray on April 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Tina, “Ride right through them, they are demoralized as hell”.

Good luck!

Mord on April 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

(you always do!)

NO WE DO NOT!////

Tina, if you hear sirens.. RUN LIKE HELL!

upinak on April 20, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Goodbye and good luck. I have really enjoyed reading your posts.

Towash on April 20, 2012 at 6:48 PM

As Ed wrote, I’ll also soon be working as Policy Impact Director at the Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs — and that, too, is an awesome prospect to me. The decision to seek — and, fortunately, to be offered — a position at the state level was also driven by my belief in the genius of federalism. The Oklahoma policy scene is particularly exciting at the moment. My particular position will entail policy research, writing, editing, media relations and development work, among other responsibilities.

Sounds like a great gig, Tina. As I wrote on the earlier thread, all the best and Godspeed to you in your new endeavors. I wish you much success and happiness in this new job and also with your upcoming marriage, a true blessing.

Hope to be reading an occasional article from you in the Green Room, and above all, don’t ever lose hope and don’t ever give up.

PatriotGal2257 on April 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Best wishes Tina, especially with your family to be. I look forward to keeping tabs on you in the Greenroom and elsewhere in the future.

FloatingRock on April 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Tina, I enjoyed many of your pieces here this past year. You were often a welcome respite from Allah’s snark. :)

Good luck and may your future bring only happy trails to you and yours!

KickandSwimMom on April 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM