Something to celebrate: Partial-birth abortion ban has stopped 11,000 abortions

posted at 3:06 pm on April 20, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Remember when Congress debated the partial-birth abortion ban and abortion advocates insisted that the procedure was necessary for women’s health? Remember when they challenged the constitutionality of the law in Gonzalez v. Carhart? The Supreme Court held that the law is constitutional even without a specific non-life-endangering health exception (the law already offered a life-endangerment exception). Five years later, no specific, personal stories have emerged of women whose health has been negatively impacted by the unavailability of the partial-birth abortion procedure — but more than 11,000 lives have been saved. Alliance Defense Fund attorney Casey Mattox reports:

The Court didn’t have to decide that a health exception was always unnecessary as a factual matter, deferring to Congress’s judgment on the matter. It simply refused to declare the whole law unconstitutional because of the theoretical possibility that a woman might need an abortion for a non-life-threatening health reason. But importantly, the Court held that abortionists could bring future challenges to the law on behalf of actual women who needed a partial-birth abortion for true health reasons.

Hours after the decision, Planned Parenthood was still warning of its imminent negative impact on women’s health. The battle seemingly joined, Justice Ginsburg’s dissenting opinion, citing the ACOG/Kagan language, specifically invited as-applied challenges on behalf of the alleged thousands of women who needed the partial-birth abortion procedure for health reasons: “One may anticipate that such a preenforcement challenge will be mounted swiftly, to ward off serious, sometimes irremediable harm, to women whose health would be endangered by the intact D&E prohibition.”

Over five years later, Justice Ginsburg and the nation still wait. Although women’s health was allegedly immediately harmed by the decision, we have not yet seen an as-applied challenge on behalf of one of these women, nor have we seen even one documented story of a woman whose health was impacted by the unavailability of a partial-birth abortion. If we accept Guttmacher’s figure of approximately 2,200 partial-birth abortions per year, then the decision in Gonzales – upholding the law and lifting the injunction against it – has prevented 11,000 partial-birth abortions from occurring.

Pro-life activists understand that the abortion battle is, first and foremost, a battle for the hearts and minds of pregnant women — and also a battle for the hearts and minds of women who could become pregnant. While change is effected on a case-by-case, person-to-person basis, though, it’s important not to forget that legal measures do make a significant difference. Roe v. Wade might not be overturned in my lifetime or in the lifetimes of my future children, but that’s not a reason to not fight for it or for the partial measures — like the ban on partial-birth abortion — that quite literally save lives.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Yeah, let’s kill ‘em all. / Idiot.

Lightswitch on April 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM

No, you don’t have the right to terminate any fetus. It does not belong to you. The mother has that right. Big difference. And in America, the mother will always have that right. And you social cons and other pro-natalists can go pound sand.

Or go to Iran and pound Middle East sand, because the only difference between you and them is Mohammad vs Jesus.

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM

jawkneemusic on April 20, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Keep change only wants to get rid of people he doesn’t like, what’s wrong with that?

Bishop on April 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM

This piece is ludicrous. There are several available methods of late term abortion. The fact that one method is not legally available simply means that another method must be used. It does NOT mean that the fetus must be carried to term.

cam2 on April 20, 2012 at 5:19 PM

damian1967 on April 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Nice! So now conjoined twins can be killed at will, since they are never individuals!

brainy435 on April 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Woo-hoo. 11,000 more babies born to single mothers and welfare queens. Because, if there is one thing America needs, and the democrat party in particular, it’s more of those. And those 11,000 will breed and become 33,000. And so on. Geometric expansion. Thanks social cons. Without you, the left would have been extinct long ago.

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I agree with your sentiment, but I think you are wrong about this case in two ways. First, when intact dilation and extraction abortions were banned, abortion providers just used different methods. Secondly, the women who got such abortions for the most part were carrying fetuses with serious birth defects. Thus, the women getting these abortions were of all social classes. It’s important to remind people that they probably feel strongly that they don’t want to spend their life caring for a terribly handicapped child. Yes, apparently some people think it’s a great hobby or something, but most people want to do something more with their lives.

thuja on April 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM

damian1967, you and Random should get together. You really are almost perfect for one another. Of course it would never last.

Bmore on April 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Most people, reasonable people, do not believe a throbbing mass of protoplasm in someone’s belly is a child.

keep the change on February 1, 2011 at 9:46 PM

So you protoplasms just keep your mouth SHUT.

Bishop on April 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Your education in that regard is sadly lacking.

Lightswitch on April 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Bishop on April 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Where’s your sense of irony, wiseguy? Now it’s me trolling you, and aren’t you supposed to be the master baiter, or something like that?

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

No, quite a ethicists have made good arguments for the infanticide of newborns, but there hasn’t been any mainstream philosophical discussion about allowing the killing of two year olds. Why is it that pro-lifers so often approach this issue from their personal fantasy world rather the honest facts? Hey, why don’t you also tell us about how abortion causes breast cancer, which has also been known to be lie for fifteen years?
thuja on April 20, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Good arguements for murdering children? I can’t believe American’s in this day and age think this way. After all we have done to protect innocent life you find “good arguements” in a thesis that supports murdering innocent children. Outside the womb no less.

jawkneemusic on April 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

So you protoplasms just keep your mouth SHUT.

Bishop on April 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Shut up, he explained, demanded.

Pound sound.

In fact, I’ll make a donation to Planned Parenthood in your honor. I’ll just put “Bishop from Hotair”

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM

keep the change on February 1, 2011 at 9:46 PM

You really can’t be this stupid…can you?

jawkneemusic on April 20, 2012 at 5:26 PM

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM

You don’t have to be a total ahole. If he doesn’t believe in it, argue with him, but donating to a cause he thinks is murder in his name is offensive. Probably also defamatory.

Mitchell Heisman on April 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Stalinists, Nazis and Pol Pot fans hardest hit.

News at ten.

viking01 on April 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM

“Something to celebrate: Partial-birth abortion ban has stopped 11,000 abortions”

Here’s the bad news: 5,500 of them will grow up to be liberals!

;)

Kevin M on April 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Or maybe not. Maybe it’s legal, but it’s stupid also.

Mitchell Heisman on April 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Don’t get so defensive, young lady, I’m just providing a little refresher of your Nazi-like beliefs.

Bishop on April 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Your complete disregard for the sanctity of life is refreshing in this age of mish-mushy moral relativism.

I like it when the enemies of life self-identify.

tom daschle concerned on April 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Mitchel, we can debate metaphysics at another time, I was just curious why Damien believes in some choice and not others.

uncommon sense on April 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Not that we needed any more proof that you’re both a nasty effing bigot and insane …but that was more proof. ES as*hole.

Oh and I just made a donation in your name. Enjoy .

CW on April 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Here’s the bad news: 5,500 of them will grow up to be liberals!
;)
Kevin M on April 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM

So why?! When did the conservative cause become “kill potential liberals”?

Seriously? Where are these sickos coming from? Dkos?

jawkneemusic on April 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Pound sound.

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Pound sound?

Why make a false donation, you can’t stand on your own two feet? You were one of those bullies who hid behind a teacher when a tougher kid finally put you in your place, weren’t you?

Bishop on April 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Bishop on April 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM

You disappoint me. Where is your wit?

BTW, don’t go Godwin on me. Hitler banned abortion. In fact, on the second offense, the punishment was death. So spare me your Godwin approach to debating.

I’m an equal opportunity pro-choicer. Everyone should get an abortion. Well, not the men.

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:32 PM

What*

jawkneemusic on April 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM

jawkneemusic on April 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

The Western philosophical method has always given us the freedom to defend any position whatsoever. The question is whether you make good arguments for your position. Objectively, there are good arguments for permitting infanticide in some cases. You may agree or disagree with them. I may agree or disagree them, but it’s our tradition to explore every possibility.
jawkneemusic, you don’t see that bright. So I think I will have state explicitly what should be obvious: I am not saying that I support infanticide. I am saying even a strident pro-lifer should be able to respect the intellectual depth of arguments made by the other side.

thuja on April 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Seriously? Where are these sickos coming from? Dkos?

jawkneemusic on April 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Most of them are indicating the same resentful value of life their dysfunctional parents placed upon them. In other words, none.

That’s why they’re screwed up baby killers and baby killing cheerleader. No conscience beyond the self and immediate convenience the same way Bernie Maddoff still thinks he’s an honest financial adviser and Charles Manson thinks he’s a savior. That mindset gets locked up, eventually… unless they’re Janet Reno.

viking01 on April 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Anyways, it’s been fun, my pro-natalist ninnies. But I have to go eat. I’m having baby peas.

I get you dolts lathered every time. Without even trying. (Well at first, I don’t try, then after that, it’s just sport.)

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Thuja

Hey, genius

It is apparent you have no idea how the whole ‘trickle down’ thing works in academia and the connection to the mainstream. These ‘ethicists’ are read by academics, who disseminate their bullshit to empty-headed morons like yourself.

Of course, you’re the guy that ‘demands’ that religion accomodate deviant lifestyles, so nothing you say has surprises me, or has any credibility for that matter.

avgjo on April 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I wasn’t talking about abortion, I was referencing the Nazi’s dehumanization of everyone they didn’t find “necessary”, such as people with birth defects or psychological problems. Or in your case, newborns who aren’t yet worthy of the term “human”.

Bishop on April 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Enjoy feeding time at the asylum !

viking01 on April 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Brave Sir Robin.

Bishop on April 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Trolling was just invented!@

tom daschle concerned on April 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM

keep the change 5:37

Well, that’s quite a fulfilling, and I must say, substantial life you lead.

avgjo on April 20, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Keep_Change always hauls ass after he’s been knocked around a bit, the young lady has a glass jaw.

Bishop on April 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Pound sound.

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I think you may be on the wrong thread. You want QOTD. Its later in the evening. Are you stoned?

Bmore on April 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Cute! I have to leave now also. I’m going to hear Ron Paul speak. I got out my Romney 2012 t-shirt for the occasion. Anyway, going to hear Ron Paul speak on 4/20 is double plus delicious irony.

thuja on April 20, 2012 at 5:46 PM

thuja on April 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Spoken like a big fan of freedom to defend Dachau, Lubyanka, The KKK, how England handled the Irish Potato Famine and likely Joo killing in general. Just call certain persons undesirables…after all they must have needed killing.

Must be fun to be a useful idiot.

viking01 on April 20, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Hitler only banned abortion for German women. All the other ‘inferior’ races were to continue abortions.

Sort of reminds me of the left, which says that ‘poor’ or ‘uneducated’ women should have abortions. Oh yeah, and planned parenthood that builds so many abortion clinics next to minority neighborhoods.

Sieg Heil, sagt die amerikanishe Linke!

avgjo on April 20, 2012 at 5:47 PM

If these were new jobs, Obama would take credit for them under the ‘saved or created’ column.

Truth is that all pregnancies are lives created and relatively few get saved once the abortion option gets tabled. These babies deserve a shot at life, despite what the pro-death hardliners want.

11,000 is a good start. Let’s hope that more young women shed the notion that they’ve been ‘burdened’ with a baby and open themselves up to the support of family and friends to make a more positive choice. That would be a true pro-choice outcome.

CitizenEgg on April 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Your education in that regard is sadly lacking.

Lightswitch on April 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

How are you doin’, bud? Still pretty feisty, I see.

a capella on April 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

jawkneemusic on April 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM
thuja on April 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Classic. So you think you’re smarter than me because some over educated leftist scumbag made arguements you can “respect” in support of murdering children? I don’t care how smart you think you are or how stupid you think I am. Murder is murder. No matter how you try to spin it to ease your conciseness.

You’re depraved.

jawkneemusic on April 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Let’s put that 11,000 lives saved in perspective….

The 332,278 abortions Planned Parenthood performed over the 365 days of 2009 equals an average of 910 lives terminated per day–or about 38 per hour, or one every 95 seconds !

For 2012 the estimated number of abortions to be performed by Planned Parenthood exceeds 400,000.

TeaPartyNation on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

jawkneemusic…

That’s what these deviants do. They clothe barbarism in big words, speak ambiguously and then think they’re superior to us.
There is no common ground with them.

this is why I argue that the life mission of conservatives should be:

1. take back institutions;

2. marginalize these people in the classroom, on the airwaves and in the courtroom;

3. destroy their ideas and discredit them thoroughly in succeeding generations.

It’s what they’ve been doing to us for 100 years.

avgjo on April 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM

avgjo on April 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Sounds good to me.

jawkneemusic on April 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM

… then the decision in Gonzales – upholding the law and lifting the injunction against it – has prevented 11,000 partial-birth abortions from occurring.

Or, for all the Sandra Fluke wannabees… those 11,000 partial birth abortions prevented are the ones which got away

Danny on April 20, 2012 at 6:52 PM

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Close but no banana. The real problem is that our welfare system, as it currently stands, subsidizes illegitimate children. You could put a Klanned Parenthood clinic on every street corner and it wouldn’t fix anything.

A quick illustration: a ‘mother’ with a b@st@rd brat can get a free abortion…or have it and get paid for years and years.

Which do you think will be chosen more often?

MelonCollie on April 20, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I still have yet to hear a satisfactory justification for fetal homicide laws. Why do pro-choicers, aka pro-abortioners, not find it bone-chilling that it’s murder in 40+ states if I kill someone else’s baby in the act of committing a crime, but it’s not murder if a woman decides to kill her own baby for any reason? Any of you pro-abort ghouls care to enlighten me on why it’s not just a “pulsing mass of protoplasm” in the eyes of so many states?

gryphon202 on April 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM

damian1967 on April 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM

We can’t afford you either nitwit, but you don’t see us calling for your death.

KirknBurker on April 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

keep the change on April 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Ah, the in-house utilitarian.

Notice how he never volunteers to slit his throat thereby saving us another mouth to feed.

KirknBurker on April 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

gryphon202 on April 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Well, according to Thuja, you’re probably jut not smart enough to be one of his fellow ghouls.

jawkneemusic on April 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Mitchell Heisman on April 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Ill donate in his name as well.

damian1967 on April 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM

KirknBurker on April 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Well since I have never once taken a dime from the government. Not even Unemployment, then you have to deal with me.

damian1967 on April 20, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Danny on April 20, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Well considering that 11K is an outright LIE. It is not that many, you people just want it to be.

damian1967 on April 20, 2012 at 7:56 PM

gryphon202 on April 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Fetal homicide laws are mostly a sop to the anti-abortion crowd. They’ve been accused of being a backdoor attempt to curtail abortion.

Of course you either have to be completely stupid or a libtard panicmonger to believe that, since these laws haven’t done squat to stem the tide, let alone threaten convenience abortions.

MelonCollie on April 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM

MelonCollie on April 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Abortions are legal. Plain and simple. The wanna be’s just like to keep chipping away at it till they get to overturn roe.

And anyone who doesnt think thats the endgame, is stupid.

damian1967 on April 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

And anyone who doesnt think thats the endgame, is stupid.

damian1967 on April 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Hey stupid, short of a civil war over the subject (not happening) the Supreme Court and ONLY the Supreme Court can overturn Roe.

Save your tinfoil-hat nonsense for elsewhere.

MelonCollie on April 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

MelonColli

I’m not sure that’s entirely correct. Congress is Constitutionally allowed to set the jurisdiction of the court. A congress could do that and make it illegal. Now, a small majority of people are opposed to abortion in this country. I think the Fabian tactic might work in the end. Works for me.

avgjo on April 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Are some people unaware of the fact that, scientifically, a new human being’s life begins at fertilization?

bmmg39 on April 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

This is good news, but Governor Romney gets ZERO credit for it:

In 2007, Mitt Romney was still denying his healthcare plan did this.

QUESTION: “I noticed some of the conservative groups back in Massachusetts, they complain about there’s a Planned Parenthood rep mandate to be on the planning board for the [Romneycare] health care plan. Is that something you just had to deal with in negotiating with the legislature?”

ROMNEY: “It’s certainly not something that was in my bill.”

(Eric Krol, “Full Text Of Romney Interview,” [Arlington Heights, IL] Daily Herald, 6/17/07)

Except it was. Apparently, like with Obamacare, you had to pass the bill to find out what was in it, but once passed, Romney never read it.

Support tax payer funded abortion. Support Romney.

DannoJyd on April 21, 2012 at 1:40 AM