Fired Secret Service agent bragged on Facebook about ogling Palin

posted at 8:41 am on April 20, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Three members of the Secret Service have been terminated for their involvement in a prostitution scandal in Cartagena, Colombia last week, a rather indiscreet affair for the advance team to President Obama’s visit for the Summit of the Americas.  It turns out that indiscretion isn’t exactly new, either.  One of the agents, David Randall Chaney, posted photos of himself on the job and made leering comments about one of his assignments:

One of the Secret Service supervisors ousted from the agency this week for their involvement in the Colombia prostitution scandal made light of his official protective work on his Facebook page, joking about a picture of himself standing watch behind Sarah Palin.

David Randall Chaney, 48, posted several shots of himself on duty in a dark suit and sunglasses, including one that shows him behind the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee during that campaign.

“I was really checking her out, if you know what i mean?” Chaney wrote in the comments section after friends had marveled at the photo. He is married and has an adult son.

TPM has two of the pictures from Chaney’s page. The pictures don’t depict anything unprofessional — just Chaney in the same frame as Palin — but the postings raise a couple of questions.  First, these very public postings should have alerted Secret Service supervisors of an unprofessional attitude.  Oh, wait, Chaney was a supervisor:

Chaney, who had been a supervisor in the Secret Service’s international programs division, retired under pressure Wednesday, according to people familiar with an internal agency investigation into the allegations that 11 agents and uniformed officers participated in a night of carousing April 11 ahead of President Obama’s visit to the Summit of the Americas.

If that is the way supervisors publicly talk about their protection subjects, well, I’d bet we’ll eventually find a lot more problems in the Secret Service.  Which brings me to my next question — this is the Secret Service, right?  How does a Secret Service agent — no, supervisor — have a Facebook page identifying himself, his job, and his protection assignments, past or present?  No one at the agency thought that would be a problem?

Chaney was allowed to take an early retirement; the other two agents got fired.  If this is indicative of the culture at the Secret Service, don’t be surprised if more than a few follow them out the door.

Update: Sarah Palin responded to this last night on Fox, via a few commenters:

“Well, this agent who was kind of ridiculous there in posting pictures and comments about checking someone out,” Palin told Greta van Susteren on her FOX News program. “Well check this out, bodyguard — you’re fired. And I hope his wife sends him to the doghouse. As long as he’s not eating the dog, along with his former boss. Greta, you know, a lot of people will just, I guess say that this is boys being boys. And boys will be boys, but they shouldn’t be in positions of authority.”

Zing!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Buy Danish seems to be, I dunno…frustrated or something.

ddrintn on April 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Ha! So sayeth Sourpuss. Damn, this place is like Comedy Central.

Buy Danish on April 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Yeah, there’s just….something that’s just not right with you.

ddrintn on April 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM

There something wrong with that?

KOOLAID2 on April 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM

fossten on April 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM

fossten!!!!!stop it!
I know you are not Jimmy Carter!

KOOLAID2 on April 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

mark81150 on April 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM

…maybe he thought Buy Danish is a guy!

KOOLAID2 on April 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Pissant ddrintn

LOL. I betcha if I called you a “slut” or called Palin a “slut” you’d have an hysterical tantrum. And you know it’s funny but I have never, ever seen you write something which was even remotely amusing, lighthearted, or witty. NADA. You and angryed are like soulmates on the Planet Crankmeister. But yeah, you go right ahead and diagnose me. You know how entertaining I find your efforts. Dance, jester, dance.

Buy Danish on April 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM

You know it’s pretty sad when a former VP nominee, former governor, Miss Irrelevant herself – Sarah Palin, is FAR more relevant than the soon to be GOP designated loser nominee.

rightConcept on April 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Goodness gracious. *Shakes head and leaves.*

Bmore on April 20, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Pissant ddrintn

Are you kidding? That’s old hat. Used to it.

Buy Danish on April 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I rest my case.

ddrintn on April 20, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Court adjourned!

Bmore on April 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM

So did everyone have a good cry?

Hugs all around.

tom daschle concerned on April 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I bet Sarah Palin loves hearing that a guy was checking her out.

bluegill on April 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM

How very trollish of you. You couldn’t restrain yourself, huh? With a husband like Todd who cares what another man thinks.

conservative pilgrim on April 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM

My comment wasn’t meant as an insult! Who wouldn’t like hearing something like that?

bluegill on April 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Sounds more like the old “she really wanted it” defense. Which, of course, is right next to calling someone a slut.

Would you have the nerve to walk up to Todd Palin and make such a comment about his wife? Or are you limited to making nasty comments behind a curtain of anonymity?

There Goes The Neighborhood on April 21, 2012 at 12:57 AM

“Well, check this out, bodyguard. You’re fired,” Palin quipped.

“You know, the president, for one, he better be wary there of—when Secret Service is accompanying his family on vacation. They may be checking out the first lady instead of guarding her. And I say that not just tongue-in-cheek, but I say that seriously, that the president, the CEO of this operation called our federal government has got to start cracking down on these agencies! He is the head of the administrative branch and all these different departments in the administration that now people are seeing things that are so amiss within these departments.”

“The buck stops with the president. And he’s really got to start cracking down and seeing some heads roll. You know, he’s got to get rid of these people at the head of these agencies where so many things, obviously, are amiss,” she said. “Our president has poor management skills.”

that was Sarah’s response. Guess she forgot that the guy “checking her out” was still under the Bush administration. Funny she is unable to see that.

I know I know pbots – “brilliant strategy intended for the brokered convention worthy of a chapter in Sun Tzu’s Art of War….”
LOL

Bradky on April 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Hey, genius! Palin said the president really has to start cracking down on this kind of thing. W’s not the president.

Now if Palin was calling for W to start cracking down, she would be pretty durn stupid. But here you are calling her stupid for … not doing something stupid.

Which makes you look stupid.

Might want top dial back the condescension. Just saying.

There Goes The Neighborhood on April 21, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I bet Sarah Palin loves hearing that a guy was checking her out.

bluegill on April 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Stop lying bluegill. You’re a certified Palin-hater! Not sick! Just Evil!

TheAlamos on April 21, 2012 at 1:45 AM

LOL

Bradky on April 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Did you read the article? Technically, he got “fired”!!! (Early retirement, yes, but what do you expect? Actually Obama would love to give that idiot Supervising FB Agent/Secret Service with a Silver Medal!)

TheAlamos on April 21, 2012 at 1:48 AM

LOL

Bradky on April 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Ooh. The snark! PBOTS!

So, those conservatives must trash Palin like the way you’re doing here at HA SO THAT THEY CAN NEVER BE CALLED PBOT.

YES, BRADKY! YOU’RE NOT A PBOT. YOU’RE AN IDIOT!

TheAlamos on April 21, 2012 at 1:55 AM

So did everyone have a good cry?

Hugs all around.

tom daschle concerned on April 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM

How come you’re not at QOTD more lately?

Bmore on April 21, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I see the usual suspects are all here. Too funny.

Cindy Munford on April 21, 2012 at 2:31 AM

How come you’re not at QOTD more lately?

Bmore on April 21, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I work crazy crazy hours man!

1800-0600 right now. In a week that will be reversed O_o

I might drop in in a bit.

tom daschle concerned on April 21, 2012 at 2:49 AM

I see the usual suspects are all here. Too funny.

Cindy Munford on April 21, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Ah, yes, in walks Ms. Munford, the paragon of perfection. Yep, it’s laughable all right. Did you happent to read the thread? I defend Palin and get called a “slut”, Palinistas side with the person who calls me a “slut” and in marches the endlessly dreary DDRINTN who is more depressed than ever because people are having a great time sharing dog jokes. You’re welcome for the summary…

Buy Danish on April 21, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Are you kidding? That’s old hat. Used to it.

You’d have your usual unhinged meltdown. Upper-case and all. Everyone here – including you – knows that.

You-Eh-Vee on April 21, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Not Fair.

Bmore on April 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM

You-Eh-Vee on April 21, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I hardly ever use uppercase, except to satirize unhinged PDS types like yourself. Everyone here knows that.

ddrintn on April 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Well, the idiots are in bloom, it must be April.

The part about this story that I find most distasteful isn’t that Chaney is a buffoon, he clearly cannot help that. It’s that they allowed him to retire, and didn’t fire him outright. The jerk gets to keep his pension after embarrassing the nation he swore to protect.

Freelancer on April 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM