Democrats debut compelling, forward-looking new message

posted at 4:17 pm on April 20, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Powerline. Remember that story about how Obama’s campaign was looking for a new slogan?

I think they’ve found it.

Note that this is the bumper sticker they’re giving away free when you sign up on their site. Of all the messages they could have chosen — “Universal health care, finally,” “Bin Laden is dead and GM is alive,” “End the war on women,” or even the basic “Four more years” — they zeroed in on … this. Either they’re awfully cynical about the sort of branding that appeals to their base (and by “cynical” I of course mean “savvy”) or they’ve targeted this slogan as the one they most want to see on car bumpers coast to coast. There’s a nifty metaphor for public disillusionment with Obama. From Hope and Change in ’08 to “at least we’re not them.”

Meanwhile, here’s what the Pennsylvania Democrats have been doing with their time lately. Exit question: Isn’t Romney’s de facto slogan for grassroots conservatives essentially, “Not Barack Obama”?

Update: Sorry, I’ve been unfair. There’s another, more positive Democratic slogan circulating right now too: Win a chance to meet George Clooney.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Dog the other white meat.

Buttercup on April 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM

“I eat chicken and fish.” Romney 2012

Gladtobehere on April 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM

“Neither My Father nor I Needed AA.” Romney 2012

BHO Jonestown on April 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM

A good bumper sticker- for a car in the Netherlands (whose flag the sticker resembles in color pattern.)

michaelo on April 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Naked appeal to emotion. Really?!

gryphon202 on April 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM

“Better in a crate than on a plate.” Romney 2012

di butler on April 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM

ROFLMAO :-)….

jimver on April 20, 2012 at 5:32 PM

RNC Bumper Sticker: Not an Obama Zombie

Steve Z on April 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM

If so-cons stay home and Obama wins a second term, then I don’t want to hear a peep from them for 4 years. Not.A.Peep.

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM

1. There is a logic inversion going on here – shouldn’t Romney be blamed for not trying to reach out to these people if he’s having trouble with them? He is not just entitled to their votes. If the GOP can pander to liberals and moderates, there doesn’t seem to be a good reason for them not to pander a little to their base.

2. If Republicans stay home or vote for Obama, how will you know it was the so-cons fault? What if the fiscal conservatives stay home because of Romneycare or because he does something dumb on the campaign trail like propose a tax increase?

Doomberg on April 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM

O/T: CoolChange80 got the banhammer!!

Bitter Clinger on April 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Really? He did not get kick out the other day after repeatedly throwing out the F-bomb and insulting the site and the staff. What got him sent off?

galtani on April 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM

“I don’t care who our candidate is and I haven’t since the beginning of this. I haven’t! Ask not what the candidate can do for you, ask what you can do for the candidate! …When I walk through CPAC or a I travel the United States to meet people in the Tea Party who care – black, white, gay, and straight – anyone that’s willing to stand next to me to fight the progressive left, I will be in that bunker. And if you’re not in that bunker because you’re not satisfied with [a certain] candidate, more than shame on you! You’re on the other side!”

- Andrew Breitbart, February 2012

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I hope you see the irony of the quote you keep providing, as already pointed out before.
New Demo sticker wise, I think they have their audience pegged quite well, “Look, shiny sticker!”

riddick on April 20, 2012 at 5:42 PM

The Dems are doing a damn fine job./

CW on April 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Sandra Fluke will be happy to know that when applied in the proper place, the new Dem bumper sticker can also work as birth control.

Cicero43 on April 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM

galtani on April 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM

CoolChange80 won’t be back. Normally, we don’t ban people for insulting us, but this person is a long-time troll, both here and on Twitter. It looks as though you’ve all had enough of him/her, and so have we.

Ed Morrissey on April 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Maybe Ed is feeling a little down because Tina is leaving.

Gladtobehere on April 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM

RNC Bumper Sticker: Not an Obama Zombie

Steve Z on April 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM

It’s gotta be more clever than that. Obama zombie more directly attacks the voter/supporter and not the jug-eared despot.

Maybe something along the lines of:

Remember when gas was $1.48? 2008!

Happy Nomad on April 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Maybe Ed is feeling a little down because Tina is leaving.

Gladtobehere on April 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I’m frankly glad they’re finally taking some steps to moderate the site a little more effectively.

Doomberg on April 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM

So, he should discriminate against a man, who is well-respected, close to John Bolton, and a foreign policy expert, because his sexual preference might upset the so-cons?

If so, then Republicans deserve to lose.

I am not going to be voting FOR Romney in November. I will be voting AGAINST Obama. Since I am a registered independent with a libertarian philosophy, none of your drivers in the clown-car crack-up called the Republican primary appeal to me, but I would vote for any of them. If the GOP nominates Michelle Bachmann, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, or Mickey Mouse, I will vote for her/him.

“If Republicans stay home or vote for Obama, how will you know it was the so-cons fault?

The whole premise of the debate was that some so-cons would not vote for Romney because he named an openly gay man to be his senior foreign policy adviser. Perhaps, next time you should read the entire discussion before adding your two cents.

Then, they would be stupid, too, considering the fact that Obama has:

Added $5,027,761,476,484.56 to debt (thru 04.16.12)

Deficit spends per day: $4,250,009,701.17

Increased the nation’s debt held by the public by $4,596,015,857,321.70 in 1,183 days.

Increased the debt held by the public by 72.87% – SEVENTY-TWO POINT EIGHTY-SEVEN PERCENT – in 1,183 days.

Increased the share of the national debt owed by “every man, woman, and child” by 68.33% — SIXTY-EIGHT POINT THIRTY-THREE PERCENT — in his first 1,183 days ago.

If they think Romney would be bad, then they can continue to suffer with the hell that we already know.

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

riddick on April 20, 2012 at 5:42 PM

The chance of repealing Obamacare if Obama gets reelected: 0%

The chance of repealing Obamacare if Romney is elected: >0%

The chance of Cass Sunstein and Harold Koh becoming Supreme Court Justices if Obama gets reelected: >0%

The chance of Cass Sunstein and Harold Koh becoming Supreme Court Justices if Romney gets elected: 0%

The chance of entitlement reform if Obama is reelected:0%

The chance of entitlement reform if Romney is elected: >0%.

The chance of a balanced budget if Obama is reelected: 0%.

The chance of a balanced budget if Romney is elected: >0%.

You are either with Obama and the Progs or you are against them. It’s that simple.

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

It looks a lot like the Obama logos, the colors are not primary colors.

Not a Republican, but voting that way anyway.

Fleuries on April 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Well said, the commies ran on this slogan back in 1917 /s

riddick on April 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Wow! They really have run out of ideas, that’s pathetic and hilarious!

ccrosby on April 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Well said, the commies ran on this slogan back in 1917 /s

riddick on April 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Well, when it comes to Progs, it is my position. If you had grown up in the UK and seen what they had done to your country, you might feel that way, too.

For me, it will always be an “us v. them” situation.

If you want to vote for Obama, go ahead….just don’t bytch during his second term should he be reelected.

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Well said, the commies ran on this slogan back in 1917 /s

So did the Founding Fathers.

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM

“Neither My Father nor I Needed AA.” Romney 2012

BHO Jonestown on April 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Nor did Romeny have a Frank Marshall Davis in his life.

I heard Frank Marshall Davis could be a real pain in the @ss…so to speak…allegedly.

Note the relationship with Valerie Jarett’s father in Chicago.

dthorny on April 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM

BOSTON: OBAMA LOUDLY BOOED AT FENWAY PARK.

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Please tell me you’re kidding. You somehow think that WHATEVER was done to UK will ever come even close to what commies did to Russia? Or China? Did you guys have mass deportations? Mass purges? Equaling 43 MILLION lives, in USSR alone, by latest count. And more than that in China?

I understand your rage against the morons and Hussein, but you still keep missing the irony of Breibart’s speech you keep posting. Romney WAS, and IS a lefty progressive liberal. Until proven otherwise.

You want to rage against Hussein, sure, go ahead. But NEVER call my motives into question, because I, unlike you living in a comfy socialist UK, did not escape USSR so that I would cast my vote for a progressive liberal. Save your name calling for someone else, someone who has not experienced the full brunt of “progressive liberalism” at work.

riddick on April 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Bumper sticker slogan # 3,052:

Commanding Heights, we’re trying but it ain’t flying”

Wolfmoon on April 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

“Would you like some Malaise with that Dog?”

trigon on April 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Not Democrats either . . . that old political party has been replaced by the current crop of extreme leftists, Marxists and so called progressives.

rplat on April 20, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Real Pittsburghers eat Smiley Cookies from Eat ‘n Park.

thirtypundit on April 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Doomberg on April 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM

You have a point except for the fact that anyone who can’t recognize the very real threat that Obama is to our nation and system of government such that that should be enough in & of itself to compel them to vote him out and instead allows their own butt-hurtness over not being “courted” enough by the GOP candidate as a reason to let this nation burn to the ground can kiss my @ss.

Dark Star on April 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Doomberg on April 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Now, if only HA will weed out the same old monotopical trolls who gleefully post at least a dozen times in each thread about how they’re going to do whatever it takes to prevent the Republican nominee from being elected. We got it, now go away to Kos, DU, HuffPo or the like.

whatcat on April 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM

For me, it will always be an “us v. them” situation.

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Question – when the biggest two choices you could pick from were both Progs, one milder and one stronger, did you go with ‘mild’? Or did you ever have to make that choice?

No mockery or insult intended, I’d just like to know what kinds of choices there were when you went to vote.

MelonCollie on April 20, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Another great bumper sticker slogan:

Obama isn’t working.

Fallon on April 20, 2012 at 7:21 PM

This is what happens when you get awards for drawing breath, and then enter the real world: “Well At Least I’m Like Not, Yunno, A Republican. As If!”

It’s like totally awesome.

ConservativeLA on April 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I am on their mailing list and I had them send me one of the stickers to waste their money.

CinnamongirlUF on April 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I think it’s purely due to leftist disillusionment with Obama.

They don’t care that he got Osama. He hasn’t closed Gitmo.

They don’t care he got ObamaCare through. It wasn’t single-payer.

They don’t care that he ended the war in Iraq. He hasn’t ended the war in Afghanistan.

They don’t care about any of the things he considers accomplishments. They’re still mad because they’re out of work, their money is worthless, and they’re worse off than they were four years ago. They’ve given up.

MadisonConservative on April 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Thanks for the day brightener!

SagebrushPuppet on April 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Dogs for Romney 2012!

IrishEi on April 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM

BOSTON: OBAMA LOUDLY BOOED AT FENWAY PARK.

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

They did not care for Barry’s Indonesian Chow Chowder?

galtani on April 20, 2012 at 7:37 PM

“Would you like some Malaise with that Dog?”

trigon on April 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM

:) I think we’re all hoping to change the menu completely.

AesopFan on April 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Better bumper sticker:

Obama 2012
or the dog gets it

AZfederalist on April 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM

“Would you like some Malaise with that Dog?”

trigon on April 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Yes, please. And some cream cheese on the beagle.

I just love these dog-gone Democrats.

Gladtobehere on April 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM

..or

BO the dog says
Vote Romney

AZfederalist on April 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Ya gotta admit they cleaned it up a bit.

politibear on April 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

BOSTON: OBAMA LOUDLY BOOED AT FENWAY PARK.

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Anything to protect their mascot from becoming Hussein’s dinner tonight…

riddick on April 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Where can we order these. I want a gross or two , cut off the NOT A and the light Blue Deomcrats .org banner and you have a red white and blue REPUBLICAN! let the Rats supply their own poison! Plaster them all over town, especially gas pumps and dog food isles of the grocery stores

ConcealedKerry on April 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Where can we order these.

ConcealedKerry on April 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

For a second or two I thought you run a Brazilian wax salon…

riddick on April 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I want one of those. I can cut off the “Not,” and excise the “democrats.org” and it will be fixed.

(And think how annoyed the creators will be.)

Now, if I can only find one without having to pay for it.

No Truce With Kings on April 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

NOT A REPUBLICAN

ConcealedKerry on April 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

MelonCollie on April 20, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I’m not quite sure what you mean, but I’ve already said that I don’t like any of the Republican candidates. As I have done with Gingrich, Santorum, and Paul, I have documented Romney’s flip-flops, among other things, on my blog. I can show you Progressivism in Gingrich, Romney and Santorum. I can show you outright nuttiness, racism, antisemitism in Paul.

Whether you and I like it or not, Romney is almost certainly going to be the nominee. If my choice is between Romney and Obama, you better believe that I will go with the former. At least, Romney doesn’t want to “fundamentally transform” the country. At least, Romney doesn’t hate the producers. At least with Romney, I’ll be able to stop my one-woman strike/Obama Vacay and go back to work.

I am not happy that Romney is going to be the nominee, but I will crawl over broken glass to vote for him and donate oodles of money to him and his Super Pac because the alternative means the end.

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Now, if I can only find one without having to pay for it.

No Truce With Kings on April 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Not one, Dozens, a full gross, more than Sandra Flukes condoms supply. Modify and give awa,y paste on gas pumps, dog food bags and chebby volts!

ConcealedKerry on April 20, 2012 at 8:11 PM

No way do I give these flea bags my info for Won I will for a dozen though! How do I get dozens? Go to a Rat event?

ConcealedKerry on April 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Ok. Two can play this game:

NOT A DEMOCRAT!

Its (almost) All You Really Need To Know.

Stop The Insanity

November 6, 2012

Deinsi56 on April 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I was talking about the United States, not the USSR or China. They bankrupted the country to the point that it is questionable whether we could even defend the Falkland Islands.

No, I am not missing the irony.

I don’t recall calling you a name or questioning your motivation, but my point remains: If the Republican nominee is Mitt Romney and you don’t vote, then don’t complain if Obama gets reelected.

Resist We Much on April 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Thanks for the day brightener!

SagebrushPuppet on April 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM

It is a lift to know that at least some people are disillusioned with the man-child. Unfortunately, the number is not nearly enough.

MelonCollie on April 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Actually, I’m not a republican.

I’m also not a democrat, a socialist, a progressive, a liberal, a marxist or any combination of the aforementioned.

I’m independent and conservative.

Wolfmoon on April 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM

America is on fire. One guy is holding a dixie cup full of water. The other guy is holding a gas can and laughing maniacally.

Kataklysmic on April 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Burned either way.

ddrintn on April 20, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Well, we’ve been saying Anyone But Obama for some time now, so I suppose I can’t fault the Democrats for their own version of identification-via-exclusion. Though it would have been wittier if they co-opted the conservatives’ desire and came out with a sticker supporting “THE Not-Romney”.

sistrum on April 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM

“Better in a crate than on a plate.” Romney 2012

di butler on April 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I will not eat dogs in a crate.
I will not eat dogs on a plate.
I do not like dog meat and spam,
I will not eat them, ‘Bam-I-Am!

ITguy on April 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

ITguy on April 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I’m not a Republican anymore either. Doesn’t mean I’m going to support the greater of the two evils.

Dunedainn on April 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM

riddick on April 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM

+1000.

Dunedainn on April 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

“Not a Republican” because they are icky! And they are all members of the “he-man woman haters club”- even the women! And they are stinky poopy-pants! And they hate pretty things like rivers and oceans and trees and animals (‘specially dogs) and they don’t give a hoot and do pollute!

BillyWilly on April 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Coming up with that bumper sticker, for once the Democrat Party is using common sense.

I mean really, how on earth could you fit a bumper sticker on a Democrat’s car that reads, “I’m a Democrat, Libtard, Progressive, Socialist, Pro-Abortion, Anti-Gun, Pro-Islamic, Anti-Israel, Maoist, Anti-Free Speech, Pro-Tax & Spend, Anti-Capitalist, Pro-Illegal Immigration, Pro-Union, Anti-Small Business, Communist, Marxist-Leninist, Pro-MSM, Anti-New Media, Pro-Fascist, anti-Family, Pro-Atheist, Anti-Hunting, Anti-Fishing, Lava Lamp Luddite”?

It ain’t goinna happen! First, they’d have to scrape off all the other leftist bumper stcikers that are already on there! And we all know Democrats are inherently lazy so I don’t foresee see any scraping of bumpers.

But Democrats keying the paint on cars that have Pro-Life bumper stickers on them? Yep, I’ve seen it happen!

CatchAll on April 21, 2012 at 4:34 PM