Uh oh: Obama 47, Romney 42, Gary Johnson 6

posted at 7:16 pm on April 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via BuzzFeed. Dude, I’m nervous.

I know what you’re thinking: The damned libertarians are going to blow it by pulling a Nader on Romney. Is that what the data says, though? That 11 percent among indies does fit with a “disaffected Paul fans ready to go third party” narrative, but look closely at the first table. The only group among which Johnson pulls double digits is … “very liberal” voters, who I assume prefer him to O either because they’re disgruntled that Obama didn’t deliver single-payer yet or whatever and are looking for a protest vote or because they really, really like Johnson’s platform on legalizing drugs.

But never mind them. Check out the staggering split between The One and Romney among “somewhat conservative” voters and, especially, “moderates.” I expect the latter group to tilt Democratic simply because liberals tend to be more reluctant to define themselves as liberal than conservatives are in defining themselves as conservatives, but a 60/33 split seems astounding. Also, note that O is a net +70 among “somewhat liberal” voters but Mitt is just +47 among “somewhat conservative” ones. Again, I think that’s partly to do with how voters define themselves: “Somewhat conservatives” really are somewhat conservative but “somewhat liberals” are solidly liberal yet less inclined to fully embrace that. As such, Obama’s bound to do better with them than Mitt will with “somewhat conservatives.” But even so — between that group and “moderates,” you’re seeing many more Obama voters in the mix than I’d expect. Which is to say, it’s not Gary Johnson and the libertarians who are killing Romney here (especially since there are “very liberal” voters in Johnson’s base), it’s centrist Republicans and moderate Democrats, a pattern we also saw in that Pew poll on Tuesday about strong support for Romney among tea partiers and weaker support among neutrals. He needs to close the gap with the middle, badly. But then, that’s what the general election “Etch-a-Sketch” strategy is all about.

Follow the link for additional data about the veepstakes. Exit question: Chris Christie helps Romney as VP more (marginally more) than either Jeb Bush or Mike Huckabee do? Never would I have guessed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8

Schadenfreude on April 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Have a good night, I am off to the patio with a cigar.

riddick on April 20, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Don’t invest your 401k on what a jury would decide.

The entire exercise is puerile. This is the biggest political season in history and no one will care about the nuance of a word. He backtracked as fast as he awkwardly said it. No on cares by now, except the 3 people who won’t matter.

Schadenfreude on April 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM

It’s certainly puerile, I agree, but a bet is a bet (not that I expect either of them to actually live by it).

The rules were clearly laid out, and should be binding, I think Riddick should take it as a lesson to be more precise when betting.

would it stand up in court? Who knows and who cares, but bets/games/law have rules for a reason, so that the nature of something can be established one way or the other. The three wishes from rubbing a lantern story is a good instructor… The Genie always “gets” them on their choice of words… “I want a hundred bucks…” He gets a 100 male deer.

She won and he lost. She stated that he would find a video that contained the word like, he said he would find one that said Romney loved firing people.

Semantics for sure, and no I won’t bet my 401k on it, and neither of them should cease speaking on this site.

SauerKraut537 on April 20, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Well, just for grins, it doesn’t matter to me one way or another who Romney picks, I’m just curious who wants to take a big gamble on their career with Romney as running mate.

Well, anyone that takes a Veep slot is risking their career, not only from a hostile press corp, but in general they run the risk of being out shined by the boss if they ever want to go for the top slot themselves.

We left USSR in Feb 1972, after being refused at first, took close to 2 years. They gave us 11 days to get the hell out, get all the papers ready (at that time you were required to get written permission from your parents/ex spouses/etc, all took a lot of time and effort sine people were afraid to provide such), pay them for declining their citizenship (a year worth of salary for each) and leave. Went to Israel at first, faced the Yom Kippur War. Then came to USA via Italy, took 3+ months to apply for USA entry.

riddick on April 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Look, anyone that has been able to escape that totalitarian waste-hole deserves a lot of credit…we may disagree on certain nuances, but you get a tip of my cap on that.

BlaxPac on April 20, 2012 at 1:56 AM

joana is back? Can csdeven be far behind?

Cindy Munford on April 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM

kim roy on April 20, 2012 at 12:11 AM

It is impossible as long as mindless sheep such as yourself continue to be brainwashed by FoxNews and TalkRadio. If you had a mind of your own you would clearly see that Romeny is just as bad as Obama. You silly freak, I hope your watching re-runs of Hannity right now to gather your thoughts otherwise your brain has stopped working and your are drooling on your key board you retard…I’m not ABR…I’m NBP!!! Wake the F**k up!

We have been working for the past four years, but since you can’t get your stupid eyeball off of FoxNews you wouldn’t know…Take a looky F**ktard:

dom89031 on April 20, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Wow. I’m convinced. I just love to vote for candidates that filthy mouthed loons endorse.

Pffffft. I’m not clicking any linky YOU provide.

Bye bye. You must be part of the flotsam that came in on the last registration.

kim roy on April 20, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I have mixed feelings about Gary Johnson. I saw him interviewed by Hannity last fall, and I thought he gave an excellent presentation of himself. Then, I went online and read a short bio of him, and I continued to be impressed – I like politicians who understand what “living within one’s means” means, and who aren’t afraid to say “No!!!”, and he was proud of his record as Governor Veto.

But…then I saw him during the debates and on RedEye, and lost most of my interest. Like so many libertarians of his ilk, the idealist kind who are wont to join the Libertarian Party, he didn’t come off to me as being well-rounded or deep-thinking enough to understand the whole world around him – kinda like Ron Paul! Such a shame, because in his favor, I want to say that of all of the Republican candidates who ran this election cycle, he is the one I had the most faith in to quickly balance the budget.

Among other reasons, I can’t vote for him because my #1 priority is to get 0bamessiah out of the office, but when I see a Conservative complain that “a vote for Johnson is a vote for 0bamessiah”, I think to myself, “MYOB, and expect from Mitt what you should expect from any politician – it’s Mitt’s job to earn the voters’ votes, and your it’s your job as a Mitt supporter to persuade others to vote for Mitt if you so choose, not to berate those who believe that Mitt is not worthy of their votes.”

Bizarro No. 1 on April 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM

She won and he lost.

Semantics for sure

SauerKraut537 on April 20, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I disagree that this is merely a semantical issue – besides making a technically false claim, ribbit also intertwined his ego with his position, which violated the #1 rule of debate. If I were on the jury, ribbit loses without a doubt.

And, because of the lack of character he revealed by his recalcitrance in admitting that he made a technically false claim, and that he’s the one who deserves the blame for not being properly specific about the bet’s stipulations in the first place, I would relish ruling against him – maybe it’s just me, but I have schadenfreude when I see immature, rude, irrationally angry, self-righteous egomaniacs who severely struggle with humility and the truth be denied of something s/he feels entitled to! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on April 20, 2012 at 4:04 AM

You should have made the bet for $10,000. That would have been funnier.

Buckshot Bill on April 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM

lol

Truer words… :)

Bizarro No. 1 on April 20, 2012 at 4:12 AM

gary johnson is polling six!?! wow! he is defensively and option to consider. better than get drunk and vote for establishment Etch-a-Sketch romney.

nathor on April 20, 2012 at 4:18 AM

kim roy on April 20, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I wouldn’t expect you to, your a brainwashed drone!

dom89031 on April 20, 2012 at 4:18 AM

kim roy on April 20, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I wouldn’t expect you to, your a brainwashed drone!

dom89031 on April 20, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Before all you Grammar Nazi’s start hounding me. Yes, I know it’s “you’re” not “your”…typo

dom89031 on April 20, 2012 at 4:23 AM

eh, I have been in Gary page:
its cool! its like paul but more reasonable and without pandering to social conservatives.
I am warming up to gary.

nathor on April 20, 2012 at 4:26 AM

I won’t win until the welsher is forced to pay the debt.

joana on April 20, 2012 at 1:25 AM

You’re allowing a slice of your life to be put on hold over something miniscule, which may never come to pass; by doing so, you’re giving ribbit power over you – is that really what you want for your self?

My sage input [based upon personal experience]: waiting around for a still-sleeping-in-his-crib-with-diapers-on boy-mouse like ribbit to acknowledge your victory before you believe you should and/or can declare it is not an activity which will lead you towards happiness!

I’m on the phone with Kenny Rogers right now, and he’s telling me to remind you that you’ve got to know when to hold them, and know when to fold them. Ok, now, he’s saying he wants me to ask you if you understand what’s he trying to get across to you…

Bizarro No. 1 on April 20, 2012 at 5:23 AM

“I know what you’re thinking: The damned libertarians are going to blow it by pulling a Nader on Romney.”

RUBBISH: *I’m* thinking it’s a clear sign the GOP had best learn to stop coronating so-called “moderates” whom they *think* (reference said data) will win over independents.

The GOP must die by 2016.

Czar of Defenestration on April 20, 2012 at 6:14 AM

joana is back? Can csdeven be far behind?

Cindy Munford on April 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Joana is one of the sharpest commenters on this site. Her posts have substance and well thought out arguments, something we don’t ever see from certain passive aggressive commenters who shall remain nameless.

Grave mistake. Assuming there is a brain.

riddick on April 20, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I figured her brain had finally melted. My mistake, I guess.

Buckshot Bill on April 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM

FTFY, little girl.

MelonCollie on April 19, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Not only is Joana absolutely right about the Romney quote, she is also clearly 10 times smarter than you four half-wits put together. This is clear to anyone reading these comments. All you can respond to her with are weak sexist put-downs and unoriginal ad hominems. Maybe you guys should stick to wasting your time arguing with the Obama supporter AngryEd… he seems to be more in your league.

bluegill on April 20, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Is Gary Johnson even still running? What are the ballot requirements for any meaningful state?

The Count on April 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM

A Vote for Gary Johnson = A Vote for Barack Obama’s Re-Election

bluegill on April 20, 2012 at 6:32 AM

bluegill on April 20, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Your group of friends and socks have destroyed this site.

smoothsailing on April 20, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Geez AP do you thin a 6% number for a guy who couldn’t get any support in the Republican primaries makes sense?

This is the temper tantrum crowd that will REFUSE to support anybody until they stare into the abyss of 4 years of Obama. Get real,dude and quit pi$$ing yourself about every little trap poll the left or the Ron Paul crowd can think of.

Conan on April 20, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Anyone who votes for that fruitcake Gary Johnson might as well vote for Obama. I don’t care about any nonsense about their independence or their disgust with the two party system or anything else…They would give Obama a second term. It reminds me of Ross Perot..Bill Clinton never got a majority of the vote, he won two terms with a plurality thanks to Ross Perot. Now..when was the last time anyone even heard of Ross Perot?

Hopefully, this poll is just a bunch of Democrats having a good time jerking Republicans around and there is no truth to it. Hopefully.

Terrye on April 20, 2012 at 7:14 AM

The GOP must die by 2016.

Czar of Defenestration on April 20, 2012 at 6:14 AM

Are you a Democrat?

The thing is that we have a primary system. This is the same system that nominated Ronald Reagan and every four years people have an opportunity to run in that system.

I don’t think that Romney is as moderate as some might think…but whatever he is, it is not the GOP that is nominating him..it is the voters..real live human beings who show up and make that vote..and if the people who constantly whine and cry and moan about the GOP an the moderates could manage to field a conservative nominee that could actually compete then the outcome might be different..but they can not do that apparently..all the can do is complain and whine and moan.

Every four years…so why would the GOP die?

Terrye on April 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Those numbers for Barry are BS!

insidiator on April 20, 2012 at 7:23 AM

You ABRs are idiots. Really. I’ve tried to listen and consider your arguments, but they are really no better than liberal arguments – everything’s about your idiot feelings rather than looking upon it as an opportunity.

kim roy on April 20, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Bullshit. It’s about principles, not feelings. The emotionally-involved are all the little totalitarian Mittbots with their “who’re you voting for? Huh? Huh?” purity tests.

ddrintn on April 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM

bluegill on April 20, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Your group of friends and socks have destroyed this site.

smoothsailing on April 20, 2012 at 7:00 AM

You got that right. By around August or so this place is going to be just a little Mittbot echo chamber. I suspect a good many of them are on the payroll. Then when Romney loses they’ll have to have another couple of open registrations to let in the Disgruntled.

ddrintn on April 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Republicans might want to spend more focus on taking over the Senate. Probably more important too. Well, maybe so….

Freeloader on April 20, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Now this I can get excited about. I’m warming to Gary Johnson also. I’ve already changed my party affiliation to independent because I despised politics before because of sleazy and phony politicians like Romney, who were mostly in the democrat pary anyway, and so for the republican party basically blackmailing us into voting for the lesser of 2 loathesome and “democrat” candidates doesn’t fly with me. I’ll focus on congressional contests instead and write in a candidate or vote 3rd party. Hey, the republicans are so confident with Romney they have absolutely nothing to worry about, right? And their mantra about not voting for Romney is voting for Obama is bunk! And with all the forced enthusiasm for Romney kind of falling flat, it just may be the time for a 3rd party to succeed.

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 7:52 AM

If anyone ever needs to know why Romney has already lost the race they need only read the comments at Hotair. Independents ARE NOT WELCOMED.
SO it’s truly ironic that the Republicans can’t win the election without peeling off some of them, and some of the women away from the democrats. Calling us retards, brain-dead and trolls is just pushing more votes to Johnson

The Republican tent has gotten smaller and smaller and smaller. As to why you demand purity- I have no idea – but it will effectively change this country to a left of center country and SCOTUS- probably for decades until a third party can replace you

I miss the moral center,it used to be what made the country great. and for that reason I’m voting for Gary Johnson.

c.j.ammenheuser on April 20, 2012 at 7:59 AM

This quadrennial “third party candidate polls unexpectedly high” story is rather tedious. Six percent of the country probably doesn’t even know who Johnson is.

In April 2008, it was: “Bob Barr at 7%!!!!1″

Of course, he went on to get 0.4% of the vote.

TheDriver on April 20, 2012 at 8:03 AM

ddrintn on April 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM

There’s nothing wrong with principles, but principles without common sense don’t get anything done. They just help you sleep better at night.

Pcoop on April 20, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I miss the moral center,it used to be what made the country great. and for that reason I’m voting for Gary Johnson Obama.

c.j.ammenheuser on April 20, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Sorry, but that’s really what you’re saying.

Pcoop on April 20, 2012 at 8:04 AM

And it’s more and more obvious how diluted and weak the republican party has become since Ronald Reagan was president. It had a flash of backbone when Newt Gingrich was speaker, but then they started acting like and appeasing democrats. So they lost big since and here we are with a “President Obama” and the lousy economic scenario we’re in and losing more ground. How do they expect anyone to trust them and give them control of all 3 – Senate, House, and White House with any kind of solid majority when they offer weak and waffling candidates like Romney. We have to hope that the republicans get a solid majority in the House and Senate because there’s no way in hades they’ll also get the White House on top of that.

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 8:08 AM

no, Romney is the Democrat who should bow out now (for the good of the GOP and the country)..let him ‘primary’ obama (the democrats love him because they know that he will have their backs when the going gets tough..or even when it doesn’t). Mittens is a trojan pony to the GOP.

Perry/West 2012

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Sorry, but that’s really what you’re saying.

No, what I’m really saying is I can’t tolerate a political party that has lost its moral center.
I’m glad to say I’m no longer part of the problem- I’m part of the solution :)

c.j.ammenheuser on April 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM

c.j.ammenheuser on April 20, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Sorry, but that’s really what you’re saying.

Pcoop on April 20, 2012 at 8:04 AM

wrong! the Romney-lovers are the ones who voted for Obama in 2008 (ALL OF YOU)…don’t blame the rest of us for your mistake and don’t try to burden this country with yet another mistake (but only in a different color)!

Perry/West 2012

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Perry/West 2012

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM

That door is shut.

Voter from WA State on April 20, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Do you want it to be or are you willing to fight for what’s best for your country? Which is it?

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM

There are only three things that matter to me in this poll, conducted by DailyKos’ pollster:

1) the right way/wrong way directional question goes against the President in this very liberal interview group (C’mon– who really thinks 17% of self identified “conservative” or “very conservative” voters support the One?) 47%-49%,

2) the poll was registered voters instead of likely voters, so regardless of sampling error or “house effect”, as Nate Silver refers to bias, the President would actually do less well than these numbers would have you believe in an election held today and Romney would do better, probably lots better, and

3) Obama has lost support among the key women’s bloc of voters, a group he absolutely must dominate in order to win, where his lead is down to 52-45 (in the 2008 election, with real voters instead of hypothetical registered voters his margin was 10%, I believe). Losing that much support with women is huge.

This poll should scare the heck out of the Obama campaign, because it says he is going to lose the election unless something changes in this country for the good, and fast. That something is the economy, but we are in worse shape day after day, not better, and the President and the scumbag Democrats in Congress are the reason why.

MTF on April 20, 2012 at 8:15 AM

religion
dogs
polygamy
Obama=Romney

and by the way, Gary Johnson is 1,000,000.000% better than Romney but Perry/West 2012 be even better. Go home Mittens!

Perry/West 2012

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I was a Perry supporter, but he has a ZERO chance to be the candidate. I am being “pragmatic”.

Forget a brokered convention. That is not going to happen and should not happen. We need to start attacking Obama NOW, not September.

Voter from WA State on April 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I repeat: Are you willing to fight for what’s best for your country…NOW? Or do you like being ‘bought’?

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Anyone who thinks Romney is the best we can do in these times is clearly not paying attention….no wonder the GOP is going down the tubes……(they’re trying to take this country with them….if you think we should forget a brokered convention then I think I will start taking a very hard look at Gary Johnson.

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Perry/West 2012

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I voted for Bush twice and McCain. I planned to vote for Romney until the Republicans became keeper of my body and reproductive rights.

The election is already lost- anti-Mormon bigots will help sink the ship but loosing women and independents is the real problem.If I vote Republican I’m part of the problem. By voting for Johnson I’m part of the solution. It may take a while but the Republicans will be replaced by a party that is more tolerant of other views

c.j.ammenheuser on April 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM

The republican party may be in for a rude awakening and spanking if they don’t open their eyes. The thing about those of us on the right, we’re not brain-dead party followers that do their bidding like a bunch of lemmings. We’re thoughtful and concerned voters. We will vote against Obama, but we’re not going to be coerced into voting for Romney because they dangle him in front of us as the only alternative. If there are viable 3rd party candidates, it’s looking more and more that their time has come if this is the best they can do.

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I’m glad to say I’m no longer part of the problem- I’m part of the solution :)

c.j.ammenheuser on April 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM

You do realize that your “solution” keeps you in the same position you’ve been in already?

How can you be a part of the solution if what you’re doing doesn’t resolve anything? You’re just indirectly enabling the status quo to continue while making yourself feel better by not allowing your hands to get dirty.

Pcoop on April 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Pcoop on April 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I agree with C.J. – after Dole and McCain it’s not exactly all that inspiring to go down that status quo route again. And absolutely nothing has changed this time around. It’s absolutely time for a new solution.

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM

First.

Bishop on April 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I have no problem with Romney’s Mormonism which it is apparent you do. I lived in a community with a very strong Mormon presence. I don’t agree with some of their beliefs, but I do not have a problem with any of them personally. They were great neighbors and friends. Not one of them believed in polygamy.

I do believe that I am fighting for the country NOW. I will vote for anyone who is not Obama (except I would NEVER vote for Paul because is just as bad as Obama).

I am not bought. I am pragmatic. We have to get rid of Obama. Gary Johnson isn’t going to make it. Neither is Perry. Step into reality. SCOTUS is at risk.

Voter from WA State on April 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Don’t try to paint me as anti-Mormon….. but I am strongly and un-yeildingly anti-Romney…because he’s a lousy choice for Republicans….they can do much, much better…the establishment is counting on conservatives to take their pablum and shut up…not me!

Perry or Palin/West 2012
America needs conservative men and women who are not afraid of a fight and are well-equipped to win it!

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Fight on, Prag! It’s time to stick to our principles and not sell out. I love how the pro-Romneyers keep beating the SCOTUS drum – like the democrats don’t know that he’s a pushover and all they have to do is unite against him and he’ll cave. So we’ll get liberal SCOTUS justices with a “republican” approved stamp on him/them. That is more frightening to me. A Romney presidency is a win, win for the democrats all around.

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

REALLY? You have got to be kidding me.

You do know that Bush was Pro-Life?

Abortion is murder. I resent having to pay for anyone’s contraception and abortion. Pay for it yourself. That is all the GOP is saying right now.

Voter from WA State

Thanks for the advice.My daughter was given a rape drug last summer and raped. Don’t you worry your cold-blooded cheap heart though, I paid for the rape kit and the three months of aids medicine with our insurance, and she rejected taking money from the victim’s fund for what the insurance didn’t cover.

Ultra-conservative who are self-centered like you are yet another reason why the Republican party has become repugnant. I will not be part of the problem, but have decided not to vote for Romney – who I do like- a lot- I will vote for third party- Gary Johnson and be part of the solution. It may take a while to get rid of the partisan politics, but it will be worth the wait

c.j.ammenheuser on April 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Pcoop on April 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

My hands are dirty? LMOA The republicans are the ones who have resorted to name calling, intolerance and bigotry and made their tent so small only the purists are accepted. You’ve lost your moral center, which means you lost me and millions like me.

c.j.ammenheuser on April 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM

New solutions are fine, if it will fix your problem.

But when the issue is Obama, what you’re saying is a solution, isn’t.
It’s a way for you to avoid having to deal with something you don’t like.

Nobody said Romney was the perfect candidate. But anyone who wants to say he’s in the same boat as Obama has not objectively looked at everything. You’re allowing partisan ideology to cloud objectivity. The two are not similar.

Besides, pardon the crude anaology, either way, we gonna get screwed. I have no unrealistic expectations to the contrary. But I’d rather be screwed than raped. Because I get to at least pick the person who I want screwing me. With your idea, you’re setting yourself up to willingly be raped by anybody. You’re going to be the perpetual victim in this who is only deluding themselves by saying that you’re going to be a part of it anymore. All the while, you’re still bending over.

Pcoop on April 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on April 20, 2012 at 4:04 AM

A smart lawyer will throw you off the jury.

It’s not the same in:

“I love/like someone” (and even in this ex. it matters to the case) compared to

“I love or like firing someone”.

Mitt meant having the option. No sane person will care that the word was “love” or “like”.

The entire exercise is stupid.

As to joana and bluegill, one of you, if it were the real world of betting, could make dough that they are Obama operatives. Oh, you say, “no they are totally into Mitt”…teh-heh.

Yes, it’s entertainment and no more.

Schadenfreude on April 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Joana is one of the sharpest commenters on this site.

bluegill on April 20, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Birdbrains of a feather…

MadisonConservative on April 20, 2012 at 9:36 AM

c.j.ammenheuser on April 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM

What’s this definition of “moral center” that you’re clinging to?

Pcoop on April 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Can we not get into a panic over every poll that comes along? It’s still six and a half months until the election. There are dogs to eat, cookies to criticize, and “hot girls” videos to watch. Let’s wait a while before we get so fired up over the polls.

Jeff A on April 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Is the next hypothetical matchup with Ted Kennedy’s corpse?

Chuck Schick on April 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

3-Day-Old Ham Sammich/Teddie’s Mouldering Remains 2012!

..But Johnson did get off one of the funniest lines in the early debates: “My neighbor’s dog has produced more shovel-ready jobs than Obama’s stimulus.”

The War Planner on April 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Gary Who?

He only gets 2% of Democrats, 6% of Republicans, and 11% of Independent voters in this poll. Let’s face it–third party canididates are only a ruse to get those disappointed with the Republican candidate to waste their vote and help the Democrat, and the Democrats in this poll weren’t fooled by Gary Johnson!

This poll is still more than 6 months before the election, and third-party candidates rarely get more than 2% in a real election. Even Ralph Nader, who could be considered the spoiler for Al Gore, only got about 1.2% of the votes in the critical state of Florida.

The next President will be either Barack Obama or Mitt Romney. If you really don’t want Obama, you must vote for Romney.

Steve Z on April 20, 2012 at 9:47 AM

The War Planner on April 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Obama destroyed shovel-ready jobs by eating dogs instead of burying them!

Steve Z on April 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Do you get that he is the nominee. No one dangled him in front of you. He announced his candidacy, along with several other people, and he won the nomination, when Republicans across the country went and voted for him. No one else ran. Not Chirstie, Pawlenty, Huckabee, Barbour, Ryan, Rubio, Jindal, McDonnell, Bush, etc.. And Republicans chose who they wanted to represent them against Barack Obama, after looking at who did run.

People like you need to understand that, because this talk about him being forced on you gets really old.

And guess what, if you think you can do a better job and be a better candidate, there is a solution. Run for office.

Literally, you and people like you who complain about RINO’s and how you want 217 pure conservatives in the House, 60 in the Senate, and 1 in the White House, can make it happen if you think that the Republican party is failing you. Run for office.

But to sit here and pretend that Romney was not elected as the Republican nominee, and to be so naive as to think that voting for a 3rd party candidate like Gary Johnson shows even an indication that you are a “thoughtful and concerned voter[],” gets really annoying.

milcus on April 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM

No, that is what you are saying. You vote for someone who has no chance of winning AT ALL you are voting for Obama. To think any other way is delusional.

Voter from WA State on April 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I know this site loves to hate Obama, but dont enter the delusion that the political priorities of all of us are all about taking out obama no matter what.
Obama is a liar politician like any other, and not much different than romney. promoting hatred seems to be just a partisan trick to keep voters in line, when in fact, there might be as many objective reasons to hate romney as obama.

of course I like gary, but indeed he has no chance to win. however it up to romney to convince me how different he will be from obama in terms of libertarian policies. if difference is little, then the repubs can stick their obama hatred up their A## and I will vote Gary even if that helps obama win.

nathor on April 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM

666

Schadenfreude on April 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM

…., but when I see a Conservative complain that “a vote for Johnson is a vote for 0bamessiah”, I think to myself, “MYOB, and expect from Mitt what you should expect from any politician – it’s Mitt’s job to earn the voters’ votes, and your it’s your job as a Mitt supporter to persuade others to vote for Mitt if you so choose, not to berate those who believe that Mitt is not worthy of their votes.”

Bizarro No. 1 on April 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Ordinarily, I’d agree with that. But in this case, it’s the militant libertarian type who can’t leave the rest of us alone. Much like the “Paulbots” of 2008, they go into conservative websites and attempt to bully others.

They’re convinced that if they can just pick up enough of the vote this year that it will qualify their party for federal matching funds,
….thus setting them up for better contention in 2016. Here’s the problem with that though. If they cause enough damage to our candidate, by 2016 Obama will have already irreparably altered the nature of our Judicial Branch and bankrupted our economy. I have to wonder if fair elections would even be possible after that. Our federal government would be so infiltrated with socialists that it seems unlikely we’d ever be able to root them all out, particularly given the state of dependence Obama would have private citizens living in.

Yeah. Some of these people are simply useful idiots. They have no idea that there’s an agenda. They’re buying in to the bizarre meme that these two candidates are exactly alike, based on nothing but their disappointment at the big spending of previous Republicans. But others are out for a federal funding handout, and seeking to prey upon the uncertainty of conservative voters. What’s particularly galling about their incessant whining that we all should respect their vote, is that they’re here in an attempt to influence the votes of others and bullying people when their efforts are rebuffed.

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

What an idiotic statement to make. Have you been living under a rock for the past 4 years?

redridinghood on April 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Some of these people are simply useful idiots ..What’s particularly galling about their incessant whining that we all should respect their vote, is that they’re here in an attempt to influence the votes of others and bullying people when their efforts are rebuffed.

I think that’s true. As an independent I want to be courted, not insulted. If I whine, it’s because just like you I know the country will take a dramatic turn to the left if Obama wins. So yes- I’m trying to influence things by suggesting the purists notch back the hatred they spew for women who are pro-choice. It’s handed the election over to Obama. No, I won’t hold my nose and vote Republican if that hatred continues- I will proudly and happily vote for Gary Johnson – no nose-holding required

c.j.ammenheuser on April 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM

bla bla bla,
Obama will be the end of the world, version 2012.
bla bla bla.

how many people you really think you can scare into voting romney?
I dont need romney to be a hardcore libertarian. But he should make a clear case of how he will be a champion of some libertarian causes enough to make me consider a vote on romney useful.

nathor on April 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

c.j.ammenheuser on April 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

redridinghood on April 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM

No, under the republican rock for the past 30 years and I finally see the light. You need to get your head out of whatever body orifice you’ve got yours in and check out Romney’s record in Massachusetts and what happens when democrats gang up on him. Liberal judges.

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM

(Sorry.. posted before I was done)

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I have no reason to believe that Romney’s views reflect any sort of socially conservative militancy. That’s certainly not how he governed in Massachusetts. He strikes me to be a man of practical approach rather than ideological. So, of course, those voters who ARE strongly ideological are finding fault. He’s not libertarian enough for the libertarians or socially conservative enough for the SoCons. For people like me though, who are looking for “a mechanic” to fix the nation’s problems, he’s got a track record of success and appears to recognize that this is a very diverse…..

country where one size doesn’t fit all. To my mind, the LAST thing we need is another ideologue dividing us to the extent that we can’t even get a budget out of Congress. We have too many problems which NEED address. Medicare Part A, for example, which will be broke and not serving seniors BEFORE the 2016 election if we are to believe Tom Coburn.

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM

It’s a PeePeePee poll. It’s worthless.

WannabeAnglican on April 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM

milcus on April 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM

No, instead I see the ugly side of capitalism and what the bored, idle rich can do to buy their way into another venture. The republican party now belongs to the Dick Morrises, Trumps, Romneys, etc. I can’t be bought and I want to be excited about a candidateand not one who’s bought and paid for. So yes, a vote for a candidate like Gary Johnson is a thoughtful and concerned one. Maybe not the best money can buy in your opinion, but one I can be excited about.

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I’m probably voting for Gary. And if that means that Obama wins then so be it. Being less horrible than the other guy is not enough to win my support, and if Republicans lose because they can’t wrangle the independant/libertarian vote, then maybe it will serve as a wake up call for them to shift more in our direction. It’s not my fault that the GOP can’t field a decent candidate.

Seriously? You really think the only reason people are opposed to Romney is because some other Republicans were big spenders? Have you even looked at his record? He really sucks at being a conservative, and that’s why I won’t vote for him. Yes I know Gary has no chance of winning. But it’s Romney’s job to win my support, and so far he’s doing a lackluster job. This whole thing is really turning out to be 2008 all over again. Good job GOP.

Most Republicans aren’t thrilled about Romney. He won the nomination because, frankly, he was the least toxic of all the candidates. That’s not a reason to elect a President.

The GOP has failed to live up to it’s conservative roots, and now it’s suffering the consequences. I’m not going to ‘go along to get along’ anymore so if they want my vote then they’re going to have ot move my way cause I ain’t budging.

McSmack on April 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

that is actually a good argument. what I dont like about it, his the establishment angle. he will not really try do change DC corruption because he is part of the tainted establishment machine, same as obama. you might be right that he will be more efficient than Obama, but so what? unless you reduce goverment, you will allways be a part of the problem.

nathor on April 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM

bla bla bla,
Obama will be the end of the world, version 2012.
bla bla bla.

how many people you really think you can scare into voting romney?

nathor on April 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Barack Obama has spent 5 trillion over the last three and a half years, created a new entitlement which is unsustainable at its inception as well as designed to destroy private insurers, and done more to abrogate the personal freedom of American citizens than any president in living memory. His last Supreme Court pick could NOT answer the question as to whether you could be FORCED to purchase broccoli. And that’s just scratching the surface.

What kind of “libertarian” stands aside and allows such a socialist tyrant to proceed unhindered at the ballot box???

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I’ve about had it. ‘Court me’ ‘don’t insult me’ ‘Romney needs to prove to me’.

Independents (ie indecisive, intellectually vacant whiners) NOBODY OWES YOU ANYTHING!

You are not any more or less important than any other citizen. It’s up to you to research candidates. It’s up to you to look at their stated positions, compare them to their records, and compare those to your positions and the direction in which you want the country to go. It’s then UP TO YOU to compare the candidates and determine which one best represents your goals and ideals. Personally I also weigh whether or not they have a snowballs chance in hell of running or winning when I go to cast my vote.

It doesn’t do a damn bit of good for me and 3 million other Americans to write in or vote for my/their fathers, because they’re the best candidate for the job and “DAMMIT I’m Standing on principle here!” if that causes the person you absolutely DO NOT want in office to become/be reelected President.

Put your self righteous, narcissistic, egos aside and use the brain God gave you to make an informed decision. Informed also implies pragmatism and a realistic view of the circumstances. Get over yourselves.

StompUDead on April 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Pcoop on April 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Interesting analogy but suffice to say that I feel ripped off and “raped” in that what should have been an exciting and passionate presidential election for us is now going over with a thud. I loathe both candidates equally and can’t bring myself to vote for either one. So I don’t buy into your reasoning either that it’s got to be Romney. That’s a cop out all around. So a 3rd party is a very viable and exciting prospect for those of us that don’t think Romney is good presidential material at all.

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM

This ^^^^^^

redridinghood on April 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM

nathor on April 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM

His track record in private industry suggests that he would reduce government though. Perhaps not as stringently as Ron Paul, who would do it on ideological grounds, but… big government is NOT efficient. What Romney did in private business to big, bloated corporations could serve us very well. Because what is government at this point but a Big Bloated Corporation, with too many divisions duplicating work and getting in each other’s way?

If this guy can do for us what he did for Bain Capital, why wouldn’t we hire him?

Yeah. He’s a Republican. But he has a good record of working with diverse groups of people and still coming away with practical accomplishments.

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I LOVE this. We’ve tried it their way for 30 some years and yet have been trounced each time – yeah, squeaked by with GWBush but we’ve been on a slow downhill trend for quite a while and this year won’t be any different. Yet now conservatives are the “useful idiots” and we’re the “bullies” (it’s like deja vu). Pot meet kettle! This is rich!!!

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM

So if Gary Johnson makes it to matching funds level by next week, that could make things a little different.

Independents, FairTax supporters, 2013 Balanced budget supporters, Patriot Act haters should go contribute~~~> https://donate.garyjohnson2012.com/

honeybadger on April 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM

honeybadger on April 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Q.E.D.

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Just because Romney got shoved down our throats, I’m supposed to vote for him? Even if I don’t trust him? Even if he gives me the creeps? I’m supposed to vote for him because the “establishment” decided he would be the one to go up against Obama?

Sorry, no, not playing that game any longer. I’ll vote for who I believe to be the best for the country and let the chips fall where they may and this time that means Gary Johnson.

If Johnson garners enough votes to deny the White House to Romney, too bad so sad. We’ll survive another four years of Obama but can we survive another 50 years of essentially one party rule?

crashland on April 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM

are you scaling down on your fearmongering. you went from

to brocolli?!:

regarding your assertion:

obama and obama care has done more to abrogate the personal freedom of American citizens than any president in living memory

no, that was the patriot act.

we dont have to agree. Its not up to you to convince me, its up to romney in the comming months, to really define what he will do diferent in a libertarian way. I will be listening.

nathor on April 20, 2012 at 11:13 AM

honeybadger on April 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Insanity. Gary Johnson can not win this election. Do the math. Might as well contribute to this.

redridinghood on April 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Steve Z on April 20, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Stop with the logic and common sense.

redridinghood on April 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I would be more relaxed if he was the CEO of a regular manufacturing company instead of this fuzzy “venture” capital company. any way, no doubt he is a efficient manager.

and by the way, those practical accomplishments include romneycare.

nathor on April 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

honeybadger on April 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info. and very informative.

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Enough with the labels.
What exactly is a conservative anymore?
The Ryan plan calls for balancing the budget by 2060?!
“Governor Veto” – Gary Johnson calls for balancing the budget now.
U.S. does not have the luxury of waiting 38 yrs. to balance the budget.
If we wait that long we will cease to exist economically.
I am not going to vote for Obama or his echo.

elkchess on April 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM

You still dont get it, just because Romney spent money, does not mean he was forced down your throat. You, and every Republican who has gotten to vote, had a choice. And they chose Romney. To now say that he was forced down your throat is just wrong.

And, a vote for Gary Johnson is anything but thougtful. I would argue it is thoughtless and negligent.

milcus on April 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM

and by the way, those practical accomplishments include romneycare.

nathor on April 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

If you look into venture capital outfits like Bain, what you’ll find is that they do some start-up stuff as the name suggests. But what they also do is find failing enterprises, who would likely not survive much longer on their own, buy them up cheap, repair them for resale if possible, or dismantle them at a profit if not. Bain actually has actually been more successful than most at taking these failing companies and putting them back together.

I didn’t like the sound of “venture capital” before I spent some time learning what they do, but after I did, I couldn’t help thinking that such a makeover would be entirely appropriate for our bloated government, which is likewise… failing.

In terms of Romneycare, bear in mind that the Democrat majority in the legislature was such that Romney couldn’t even make his vetos stick all the time. He vetoed eight provisions of it, and all eight were overturned. The legislation itself was wildly popular within the State House, with only something like 4% or 4 legislators (can’t remember which) withholding approval. There was no way it wasn’t going to pass. Romney’s only choice was to influence it as best he could or whine about it while he was being overrun.

Murf76 on April 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM

milcus on April 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Oh I get it and ain’t democracy grand :-) This still is a democrat country at least until the democrats or republicans get total control of it. So if we don’t like choice 1 or 2 on the menu, we can choose 3, 4, or whatever as much as it grates on you.

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Oops, freudian slip there. It should be “democratic” country not democrat (or republican) for that matter.

mozalf on April 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM

crashland on April 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

This person speaketh the truth!

Pragmatic on April 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM