Uh oh: Obama 47, Romney 42, Gary Johnson 6

posted at 7:16 pm on April 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via BuzzFeed. Dude, I’m nervous.

I know what you’re thinking: The damned libertarians are going to blow it by pulling a Nader on Romney. Is that what the data says, though? That 11 percent among indies does fit with a “disaffected Paul fans ready to go third party” narrative, but look closely at the first table. The only group among which Johnson pulls double digits is … “very liberal” voters, who I assume prefer him to O either because they’re disgruntled that Obama didn’t deliver single-payer yet or whatever and are looking for a protest vote or because they really, really like Johnson’s platform on legalizing drugs.

But never mind them. Check out the staggering split between The One and Romney among “somewhat conservative” voters and, especially, “moderates.” I expect the latter group to tilt Democratic simply because liberals tend to be more reluctant to define themselves as liberal than conservatives are in defining themselves as conservatives, but a 60/33 split seems astounding. Also, note that O is a net +70 among “somewhat liberal” voters but Mitt is just +47 among “somewhat conservative” ones. Again, I think that’s partly to do with how voters define themselves: “Somewhat conservatives” really are somewhat conservative but “somewhat liberals” are solidly liberal yet less inclined to fully embrace that. As such, Obama’s bound to do better with them than Mitt will with “somewhat conservatives.” But even so — between that group and “moderates,” you’re seeing many more Obama voters in the mix than I’d expect. Which is to say, it’s not Gary Johnson and the libertarians who are killing Romney here (especially since there are “very liberal” voters in Johnson’s base), it’s centrist Republicans and moderate Democrats, a pattern we also saw in that Pew poll on Tuesday about strong support for Romney among tea partiers and weaker support among neutrals. He needs to close the gap with the middle, badly. But then, that’s what the general election “Etch-a-Sketch” strategy is all about.

Follow the link for additional data about the veepstakes. Exit question: Chris Christie helps Romney as VP more (marginally more) than either Jeb Bush or Mike Huckabee do? Never would I have guessed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 8

Is Gary Johnson even still running? What are the ballot requirements for any meaningful state?

The Count on April 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM

“I hate all of you!”

-angryed

Bishop on April 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

What it means is that in a best-case scenario for Romney, he loses by 5. More likely, he loses by a wider margin than McCain.

Stoic Patriot on April 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Via BuzzFeed.

Don’t.

Even.

Bother.

Myron Falwell on April 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

what ever, if you wanna get nervous go right ahead, Romney will win or lose on his own.

rob verdi on April 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Rand Paul for VP!

Disturb the Universe on April 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Stoic Patriot ,
Romney may be beaten, he will do better then McCain.

rob verdi on April 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM

It’s the libertarian’s wet dream to throw an election to the democrats, because it means “they matter” – or something.

Rebar on April 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Thank you, AP, for reminding me why I hate people like Gary Johnson.

Mr. Prodigy on April 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM

It’s all about the VP for Romney.

TexasDan on April 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM

It’s April 19th folks and it’s a beautiful day outside…

The Ugly American on April 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM

B. effing S.

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM

This is what the Republican Party gets for shunning Gary Johnson at the debates. He has legitimate things to say that would have been a boon to the Republicans and was a far more successful governor than Romney on top of being a very successful businessman and one tough cookie for climbing Everest with a broken leg.

That said, I really wish Johnson had run for the Senate instead. He would have won by a landslide and we would have had one more fiscally responsible voice in Congress.

He won’t win for the Libertarian Party and will be a wasted opportunity for us all.

Common Sense on April 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

With over 2/3 wanting obakcare repealed and Dems that voted for it now saying it was an overreach, I ain’t buying this BS.

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Don’t they poll Newt or Paul anymore?

JPeterman on April 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Not even remotely worried.

Weight of Glory on April 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

The fact Gary Johnson even has 6% makes me throw up the B.S. flag.

His polling in the GOP primary was imperceptible. And even if he HAD this alleged appeal with the Libertarian camp, wouldn’t they have crossed over to vote for him?

Myron Falwell on April 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

The best thing about the poll.
46% Claim to have voted for Obama.
46% Claim to have voted for McCain.
8% Either voted for someone else or can’t remember who they voted for.

midgeorgian on April 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

If the Libertarian candidate isn’t withn a few points of the leader by the summer, he needs to drop out. Have your campaign, raise awareness, then get out.

WisCon on April 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

It’s all about the VP Romney’s competence as a candidate for Romney.

TexasDan on April 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM

FIFY.

Myron Falwell on April 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

If Gary Johnson runs, he gets 1 percent. Max.

TheLastBrainLeft on April 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Romney’s pulling 13% of Democrats but Obama is pulling only 9% if Republicans.

Romney’s got +4 in crossover.

Also, today’s snapshot by Gallup has Romney +5

crosspatch on April 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Yes, I’m nervous too. In fact, I think all is lost. Because a PPP poll shows Obama ahead 7 mos. ahead of the election. /sn Seriously, people, get a grip. The jug-eared dog eater hardly has this one in the bag already.

WarEagle01 on April 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Common Sense on April 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Oh grow up. Libertarians make up about 10% of the population, and you had 2 of them running this cycle. Even the well-organized/financed one couldn’t pull in more than about 50 delegates.

The Count on April 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Gary Johnson. MMMmmm….

Johnson founded one of New Mexico’s largest construction companies.[4] He entered politics for the first time by running for Governor of New Mexico in 1994 on a conservative, low-tax, anti-crime platform.[5] He beat incumbent Democratic governor Bruce King by 50% to 40%. He cut the 10% annual growth in the budget using his gubernatorial veto 200 times during his first six months in office.[4] His use of the veto over his two terms gained him the nickname “Governor Veto”.[6][7]

There IS a choice for Conservatives fed up with liberalism. Unless someone more conservative comes along I know who I’ll be voting for.

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM

At the end of the day, it’s about bodies in the booths. Everyone here on HA better somehow be engaged in bringing at least one more person to the voting booth, or cry in their beers afterwards.

beatcanvas on April 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Buzzfeed? I mean seriously….Buzzfeed….and at that a PPP poll…

Who is letting the children run Hotair>

DVPTexFla on April 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM

In my experience – one of my best friends is an ardent Obamaoist, and he considers himself “fiscally conservative”. These people have no idea what they are except what they’re told. They hear Obama say that he’s a fiscal con himself and they think they are too.

CycloneCDB on April 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM

This doesn’t mean anything. You still have some who are in denial and swearing they wont back Mittens but going forward that will change as things heat up. It is a gut wrenching process but everytime Obummer blathers stupid chit it gets easier. Johnson will be an afterthought when he is not receiving any coverage. The thing I am nervous about is the Americans Elect thing that nobody really knows who is backing them.

Southernblogger on April 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Obama must have ordered up a new poll to go along with his kobe beef and arugla dinner.

/I can just imagine SOMEBODY making one of those Hitler parodies with Obama ordering poll numbers.

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM

THE POLLS ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE, UNTIL THINGS SETTLE DOWN A LITTLE MORE. DON`T TAKE THESE POLLS SERIOUSLY.

Rook on April 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Uh oh. I think Orrin Hatch is really going to punch some libertarians in the mouth now.

Nessuno on April 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Allah is only nervous that this 3rd tier polling center trickery doesnt get 100 posts…

Odie1941 on April 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I’m there!

I would probably prefer Schiff/Johnson, however.

FloatingRock on April 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Is the next hypothetical matchup with Ted Kennedy’s corpse?

Chuck Schick on April 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

beatcanvas on April 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I am good for at least 6 right now.

Southernblogger on April 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

“And one night, late at the White House, the King spoke. And he sayeth: Servant of the MSM… Bring me a favorable poll number. And lo, it was done”

So spaketh the King of Food Stamps, the Lord and Ruler of Welfare, The Eater of pups. The King amongst Men.

/And so it was.

Heh

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Yet another BuffFeed poll story has AP’s head spinning like a Sunbeam Mixmaster on full throttle again. Chill, AP, it’s BuzzFeed and it’s April, afterall.

whatcat on April 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I would probably prefer Schiff/Johnson, however.

FloatingRock on April 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Jimi Hendrix was a Libertarian who served in the Military.

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Do 6% of Americans even know who Gary Johnson is? Most voters aren’t even paying attention to the race yet. We have tyranny, it’s just a tyranny of the undecided and ill-informed who decide for the worst possible reasons during the week before the election.

C’mon, people. Get a grip.

Waggoner on April 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Jimi Hendrix was a Libertarian who served in the Military.

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I didn’t know that. He has some great songs.

FloatingRock on April 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Gary, if you sink this election and throw us into another four years of barack, somebody will be gunning for you. Just saying. It won’t be me, but someone will. Think about it. Your time has come and gone. Just like Newt and Rick and Ron.

BTW, obama sucks.

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Oh come on… Really is there anybody who wants to put down $500 right now that Gary Johnson will crack 6%?

How about $50 that he’ll take at least 4%?

Would you believe a dozen Bethel’s Bakery chihuahua chip cookies on his getting 2%?

Gingotts on April 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Romney’s pulling 13% of Democrats but Obama is pulling only 9% if Republicans.

Romney’s got +4 in crossover.

Also, today’s snapshot by Gallup has Romney +5

crosspatch on April 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Except so called independents will vote D for the most part, as they usually do. I’d like to know how are those 9% of Republicans. Lugar and Co?

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Obama +9 with independents? This poll is whack.

netster007x on April 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Doesn’t Gary Johnson have to actually be on the ballot, or something?

Curtiss on April 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Jimi Hendrix was a Libertarian who served in the Military.

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Except libertarian in those days meant very different things than it does today.

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

You might want to give some more thought before commenting about certain things.

whatcat on April 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Obama +9 with independents? This poll is whack.

netster007x on April 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

How do you figure? I am surprised its this low.

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Is this a poll of Likely Stoned people?

Curtiss on April 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Rook on April 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM

The only polls to start looking at are those starting in early October. Whatever numbers show up in the October polls, subtract two points and add two to Romney. The undecideds at that point always break for the challenger.

And, LIKE YOU SAID, the polls are and will be all over the damn place, and most of them, which are commissioned by the LSM, AKA the Obama jock sniffers, are going to show results intended to depress turnout against him.

TXUS on April 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Yeah, I think Johnson maybe would get my vote since the democrats and republickans are both so corrupt.

bill glass on April 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

BTW, obama sucks.

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

You’re making a death threat?

FloatingRock on April 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

AP if you are going to freak out over every bad poll in April – you’ll be dead by Labor Day.

Poll freak out shouldn’t even begin to happen until after the conventions at the earliest.

gophergirl on April 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Pot heads make up 6% of the vote. Cool./

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I didn’t know that. He has some great songs.

FloatingRock on April 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Tis true.

Check it out when you have a spare moment. I’m sure you’re like me though… working for the welfare peeps. But seriously, he was a huge fan of the 10th Amendment, small government and well, he was a Libertarian.

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Dude, I’m nervous.

Yeah, you were a daily Scary Mary with Rubio/Crist weeks or months before they had one debate.

Those of us living in sane-world know polls don’t mean anything until October.

Marcus on April 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Lowlife scumbag Republicans like you have taken over the Party. That’s why it must be replaced.

FloatingRock on April 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

All Gary needs to do is position himself as the true dog lover in the race, and voters will flock from Romney and Obama in droves.

Swerve22 on April 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Gingotts on April 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

You REALLY believe that once the 0bamaGanda Media begins to display Sketchy’s LIBERAL credentials that Republicans and Independents won’t vote for Gary? Sheesh!

Johnson sought re-election in 1998, winning by 55% to 45%. In his second term he concentrated on the issue of school voucher reforms,[8] as well as campaigning for marijuana decriminalization. During his tenure as governor Johnson adhered to an anti-tax and anti-bureaucracy policy, setting state and national records for his use of veto powers:[4] more than the other 49 contemporary governors put together.[9][10] Term-limited, Johnson could not run for reelection at the end of his second term.

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Swerve22 on April 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM

That’s a good point. I don’t want to vote for anybody who eats dogs or straps them to the roof of their car on two day road trips. If there is a freedom and liberty candidate that loves dogs and pets, all the better.

FloatingRock on April 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Jimi Hendrix was a Libertarian who served in the Military.

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Can you expound on that for me? I’m not a Hendrix fan, my kid is. He had to do a “campaign flyer” for class and he chose Jimi. What was the difference? In plain writing it looks to me like Jimi was my kind of voter. ? ?

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

WarEagle01 on April 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM

..and milquetoast mittens is definitely not going to save us

Perry/West 2012
The men America needs now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM

You’ll be voting for obaka…

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

FloatingRock on April 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Jessica Simpson loves dogs and pets.

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I love Gary Johnson!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Gary Johnson’s record as governor was far more successful than Romney.

FloatingRock on April 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Perry/West 2012
The men America needs now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

BEHOLD

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM
You’ll be voting for obaka…

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

and if you vote for Romney, you’re voting for a Democrat . . .

Perry/West 2012
The men America needs now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

The people responsible for a Sketchy loss will be the GOP Insiders that SELECTED a liberal RINO to run for the White House.

I cannot believe that ANYONE could support ANY Liberal after 4 years of 0bama, especially when taking into account that this liberal is the one that created the blue print of 0bamaCare.

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Perry/West 2012
The men America needs now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

BEHOLD

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I meant, BEHOLD the students for Obama on the thread.

Sheesh, I need a new mouse

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Perry/West 2012
The men America needs now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

BEHOLD

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM
I meant, BEHOLD the students for Obama on the thread.

Sheesh, I need a new mouse

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

You already have a mouse if you support Mitt Mittens Romney.

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Jessica Simpson loves dogs and pets.

Key West Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I’m not entirely sure who that is but there are lots of pet lovers out there, maybe even nearly enough for Gary Johnson to win the election with them alone.

FloatingRock on April 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Obama.

Dude at a DOG, man.

Purple Fury on April 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I saw one poll recently that had Romney up 20 among independents.

In fact, if you do a search on “obama losing independents” you see a steady drone of Obama losing popularity.

In my notes I have this:

Obama has gone from 45/44 in January to 42/54 in March to 37/57 today among independents.

But I don’t remember which poll that was from.

crosspatch on April 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

This!

Perry/West 2012
The Men America Needs Now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Your liberal talking point only serves to highlite your eagerness to cast aside your convictions just for the chance that we could replace BLACK 0bama with a WHITE liberal in republican clothing.

Your support of Sketchy serves to prove you support 0bamacare. Period!

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Republicans and Independents won’t want four more years of obaka. Period.

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Oh please.
This is just ridiculous.

LASue on April 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

You’ll be voting for obaka…

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

There’s a lot of that going on around here lately.

JPeterman on April 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I saw one poll recently that had Romney up 20 among independents.

In my notes I have this:

But I don’t remember which poll that was from.

crosspatch on April 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

They must have been polling folks who never served in the military (like mittens and his clan).

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

and milquetoast mittens is definitely not going to save us

Perry/West 2012
The men America needs now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Ain’t gonna happen.

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

When AREN’T you nervous?

Jim Treacher on April 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Gary Johnson? I bet 6% of those polled don’t even know who he is. Instead, they just picked him because he’s not Barack or Mr. Romney. I dare say those 6% will not even vote.

SouthernGent on April 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I saw something on another blog that might throw a little common sense into this situation. It pointed out that since Obama was running even or even behind Romney in many polls, expect a whole bunch of headlines and speculation about third party runs.

Don’t fall for it.

hachiban on April 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Perry/West 2012
The men America needs now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Ain’t gonna happen. Move past it.

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Perry/West 2012
The Men America Needs Now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

IF we get offered that choice I could vote for that ticket, but until it materalizes I’ll continue to support the ONLY Conservative in the race today.

Johnson entered politics for the first time in 1994, with the intention of running for governor and was advised by “Republican Elders” [GOP Insiders][18] to run for the State Legislature instead.[18] Despite their advice, Johnson spent $500,000 of his own money and entered the race with the intent of bringing a “common sense business approach” to the office.[25] Johnson’s campaign slogan was “People before Politics”.[26] His platform emphasized tax cuts, job creation, state government spending growth restraint, and law and order.[5]

Gary Johnson 2012: The ONLY Conservative running for POTUS

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Ain’t gonna happen.

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Those posts are just mean :(

gophergirl on April 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Or like 90% of the nation.

Bishop on April 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

SouthernGent on April 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Once they do find out they will see that he’s a heck of a lot better than Romney!

Gary Johnson . . .or better yet:

Perry/West 2012

All are men America needs now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

This!
Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

It’s always nice when all the trollers agree. A harmonic convergence of sorts.

whatcat on April 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Poll is meaningless. It is only April.
Voters will realize how awesome and swerverely conservative Romney is, but not until October 27th.

Or something.

LegendHasIt on April 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Republicans and Independents won’t want four more years of obaka. Period.

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

WRONG! The American people sick of 0bama’s liberal policies want a Conservative in the White House, someone who is NOT connected with 0bamaCare.

Not everyone loves 0bamaCare the way you do. /s

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Perry/West 2012
The men America needs now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

He certainly has the delusional vote!

Free hallucinogenics for everyone!

crosspatch on April 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Who the hell is Gary Johnson ? And does he eat dogs ?

teacherman on April 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Republicans and Independents won’t want four more years of obaka. Period.

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

True, but if given a choice, they would DUMP MITTENS and go with Perry/West 2012

Let’s match Romney’s record as Governor of Massachusetts against Perry’s record as Governor of Texas.. .how about it Mittbots?

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Your support of Sketchy serves to prove you support 0bamacare. Period!

DannoJyd on April 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

BUWAHAHAHA!!!

What a freakin’ noob!!!

Go away, and let the grown-ups have a serious discussion.

Johnson will only get obaka re-elected. I live in “literalville”. Obviously, you live in “dreamland”.

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

When AREN’T you nervous?

Jim Treacher on April 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Good one.

LASue on April 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Who the hell is Gary Johnson ? And does he eat dogs ?

teacherman on April 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

He’s much better than the two Democrats that might fight it out in November (Obama v Romney)

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM