Today’s outrage: Romney said something insulting about cookies or something

posted at 4:36 pm on April 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

The bad news: It’s only mid-April and not only are we averaging one new outrageous outrage per day, they’re getting progressively dumber. This one will be hard to beat but stay tuned tomorrow. The good news: The more of these point-and-sputter fiascos there are, the more coverage there is of the political “outrage” industry and the savvier voters become about tuning it out as manufactured crapola. I’m seeing many more meta-stories lately in political media about the contrived nonsense involved in pushing “I’m offended” narratives and sustaining them for electoral advantage. That’s all to the good. The more the public dismisses them as campaign-orchestrated ploys, the less incentive there is to engage in them in the first place.

But in the meantime, here’s the outrage du jour. Says Jim Geraghty, “Man, it’s just going to be dogs and cookies in the news until Israel and Iran go to war, huh?”

Romney met with local residents Tuesday at an outdoor roundtable event at the Bethel Park Community Center. He guessed that a plate of cookies set on the table was from “a local 7-Eleven bakery or whatever.”

As it turns out, the treats were from Bethel Bakery, a longtime South Hills staple known for its signature pastries, cookies and cakes.

“When I heard it, I thought, ‘Oh, my goodness. This guy has no idea how beloved this institution is that provided these cookies,’” said bakery owner and president John Walsh. “We wanted him to be welcomed with the best in the burgh, and he had no idea.”…

“We had a customer on Facebook say, ‘Maybe he’s just used to eating cookies with diamonds in them,’” said Walsh.

Click the image below to watch the clip and you’ll see that Romney’s clearly teasing about the cookies. Even the bakery’s spokeswoman seems to be treating it as a big joke, which makes this a rare Daily Outrage where even the “victim” isn’t pretend-outraged. Otherwise, though, it’s predictable in all particulars: The Democrats are feigning disapproval, conservatives have hijacked the relevant Twitter hashtag and are having fun rubbing liberals’ faces in it, and everyone even tangentially related to the story is looking to capitalize. It’s almost a meta-outrage in itself: No one’s actually offended but everyone knows what to do in these situations, so they’re doing it.

Exit question: Is the Daily Outrage process self-perpetuating? The reason I think campaigns push idiocy like this is because voters are overwhelmed with news in multiple formats. You never know what’ll make it through that wall of information and into their voting consciousness so you’ve got to push everything you have, no matter how minor and moronic. No one will remember this story tomorrow but maybe the attention paid to it will subtly color a few swing voters’ impressions of Mitt. The goal isn’t to convince anyone that Romney hates small business or mom-and-pop bakeries or whatever but rather to convince them in broad terms that Romney’s a jerk, with that conclusion hopefully influencing their assessment of Mitt in various ways going forward. (That’s the strategy behind their obsession with Seamus the dog too, needless to say.) Problem is, the more of these kerfuffles there are, the more they add to the volume of news dumped on voters, which means campaigns feel even more pressure to kitchen-sink their opponents with every dumb, possibly damaging story available. Politics in the age of new media — catch the fever!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Paul Simon – Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes
************************************************

Lyrics:

(a-wa) O kodwa u zo-nge li-sa namhlange
(a-wa a-wa) Si-bona kwenze ka kanjani
(a-wa a-wa) Amanto mbazane ayeza
Hes a rich Boy
He don’t try to hide it,
Diamonds in his cookies,on his plate,

He’s a Rich boy,
Empty as a pocket
Empty as a pocket with everything to gain
Sing Ta na na
Ta na na na
Hes got diamonds in his cookies on his plate,
ta na na
Ta na na na
Hes got diamonds in his cookies on his plate,
Diamonds in his cookies
Diamonds in his cookies,
Diamonds in his cookies,
Diamonds in his cookies,
(sarc)

canopfor on April 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I’ve never seen a plastic tin either. I must be aloof and out of touch. Or living on a different planet from you – a planet where plastic tin has not yet been invented.

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 5:40 PM

‘plastic tin’ must be a new composite material :-)

jimver on April 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Why did the cookies on the table look like?

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 5:40 PM
This talk makes me too hungry. Cookies and Danishes. And no, I’m not trying to eat you, I’m not Barry O.

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Were the cookies baked by Elves? That’s exploitation.

SparkPlug on April 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM

negative connotation, how? when it’s late and every other store in town is closed (or don’t wannna drive to one) and you crave a cookie where do you go? :-)… or better yet, where do the elitists go?…you bet its the 7/11 around the corner, they just don’t want to admit it…you bet they wear a hoodie too so that they dont get recognized :-)…

jimver on April 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I agree the “Romney made a negative connotation against 7-11″ is a bogus meme. If the complaint was that Romney implied a negative connotation against store bought cookies v. homemade, I can see that — he clearly was expressing a preference for homemade cookies. However, to say he was implying a negative connotation against 7-11 is a stretch.

Oh, and I agree with him — homemade is always better than bakery/store bought, at least when you have a mom like mine — but yes, I’ll get store bought in a pinch. :-)

Dark Star on April 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I agree. I think a lot of liberals, however, see Obama as the kind of guy they could have a beer with,
TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Enough said…a lot of liberals would also wipe his a$$ if asked.

Yeah, BO with his mom jeans sipping a Bud light from a frosted glass. Yep, I could see liberals jumping at the chance.

bazil9 on April 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM

BTW – many convenience stores around here also have a set up with some brand of fast food restaurant – so you go for gas and get the usual stuff inside as well as the option for a full meal – cooked right there on site. Loaf’N Jug/Quiznos Subs; Shell/Popeye’s Chicken; and many more.
He!! – gas stations / convenience stores are gettin to be just downright amaizin multi-faceted conglomerates around these parts…..

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

The cookiegate tweets are priceless and coming fast and furious. This is the most fun I’ve ever had in all my years observing politics.

-Chuck Rudd ‏ @GLPiggy
@MittRomney ate a chocolate chip, @BarackObama ate a chocolate lab
And breaking news via this twitter feed: Bethel Bakery will be on MSNBC tonite at 10 P.

Meanwhile, back here at Hot Air, “aloof” must be the word of the official Dem talking point word of the day. Or week. Look for it on the Sunday talk shows.

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Buy Danish:I do agree,after the GOP Primaries/Debates,this is a
hoot,and fun it is!!:)

canopfor on April 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Of course I was talking about bakery cookies as that’s what they have on the table.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM

The more I read your comment the more I realize you are clueless. “Gas stations” are few and far between. Now it is pretty much convenient stores that also have gas pumps. Or in some cases a supermarket or discount store that has gas pumps.
And how can you tell if those were bakery cookies or not? And what is a bakery cookie? Most chain stores like Walmart and supermarkets produce their own brands of baked goods.

Deanna on April 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Ace asks: Did the War on Dogs Move Votes? Enjoy the illustration (and more)…

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Someone really needs to tell Obama that “get a long little doggie” are words to a song, not the first ingredient to obtain on some recipe card.

whatcat on April 19, 2012 at 5:30 PM

In honor of Obama, the lyrics to Get Along Little Doggie by Woody Guthrie have been slightly altered:

Oh, little doggies,
It’s your misfortune and not of my own.
Whoop-ee-ti-yi-o get along little doggies,
You know that Wyoming my stomach will be your new home.

A cattle trail drunk and a hard road to travel,
That old Jack O’ Diamonds is a hard card to play.
Get along, get along, get along little doggies,
Get along little doggies and be on your way I’ll eat you today.

Whoop-ee-ti-yi-o get along little doggies,
It’s your misfortune and not of my own.
Whoop-ee-ti-yi-o get along little doggies,
You know that Wyoming my stomach will be your new home.

Some boys have bit this old cow trail for pleasure,
But that’s where they get it most awfully wrong.
I wish I could tell you the troubles they give us,
As we go rolling eating these doggies along.

Whoop-ee-ti-yi-o get along little doggies,
It’s your misfortune and not of my own.
Whoop-ee-ti-yi-o get along little doggies,
You know that Wyoming my stomach will be your new home.

Gladtobehere on April 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Rusty Allen:Lol….baaaaaaaaaad Rusty(i kid)!:)

canopfor on April 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I lived a few miles from this place growing up.

Never heard of it.

NoDonkey on April 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I live in the burgh and I’ve never heard of it either. Methinks this is seen as a marketing bonanza by the shop owner. Why, you could even call her a pretty smart cookie, no???

Anonimo on April 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

The gas station industry had to go this route. The convenience store aspect is where the profit is. Stations make very little profit on gas sales.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I understand Allah’s point… but.

Dear God, they are this desperate to take Romney down and NOT talk about the economy?

It’s going to be a Hell of a ride till November.

mark81150 on April 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Deanna on April 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Ugh. Gas stations is a catchall term for convenience stores where I come from. If I go to the convenience store down the street to get something, I will ask my roommate if he wants to go to the gas station with me. Just pumps, no attendant, an a convenience store. I’ve never personally seen a convenience store sans gas pumps/

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Well I guess we will see what happens with this bakery now that Romney has called attention to it.

If, after taking hundreds of millions in taxpayer funded loans, it closes it’s doors and throws all it’s employees into unemployment then, and only then, will we know he is ready for the presidency.

Lily on April 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

How can you not know what a convenience store is?
Arugula chompers. I’m naming my next dog arugula.

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Some people here don’t understand the concept of supporting someone but hoping they stop putting their foot into their mouths.

No sane person is going to argue Mitt doesn’t seem aloof and disconnected from the world the rest of us live in. He does. Let’s get used to it. Let’s realize that the media is going to attack Mitt with it, let’s try our best not to play into it. Let’s tell Mitt to stop trying to be humorous, and let’s explain to him that declaring someone’s cookies to be utter crap is probably a bad idea. If your mom bakes me a pie and I tell her it looks like it came from the gas station down the street, it’s neither funny nor nice, it makes me look like an elitist idiot. It also makes me wonder if you’ve ever stepped foot into a gas station.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Doubling down on doubling down on the stupid.

This will not end well.

Solaratov on April 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM
So you’ve never seen a 7-11?

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM

bazil9 on April 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM

You were being sarcastic, and though some of the desire has fallen off since 2008, I honestly believe some would have jumped at the chance to wipe his backside

I don’t get this concept that Obama has this big likeability advantage. Mitt seems like a decent enough guy. I do think he seems disconnected and stiff and almost robotic at times (sort of a conservative Al Gore), but Obama seems worse. Never really held any big private sector job, seems to be elitist to me, spends 20 years in a radical church, so in love with himself that at age 45 he’s written TWO autobiographies, though he’s done next to nothing with his life?

I don’t get it.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM

“Ace asks: Did the War on Dogs Move Votes? Enjoy the illustration (and more)…

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Dude…

… Now I have people coming by my desk asking me what the he%% is so funny.

I couldn’t help it…

Seven Percent Solution on April 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Hold it , wait, before I go to the next page. Do 7-11 sell gas?

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Flashback to 2009. How out of touch is Michelle Obama? From Dana Milbank no less:

Let’s say you’re preparing dinner and you realize with dismay that you don’t have any certified organic Tuscan kale. What to do?

Here’s how Michelle Obama handled this very predicament Thursday afternoon:

The Secret Service and the D.C. police brought in three dozen vehicles and shut down H Street, Vermont Avenue, two lanes of I Street and an entrance to the McPherson Square Metro station. They swept the area, in front of the Department of Veterans Affairs, with bomb-sniffing dogs and installed magnetometers in the middle of the street, put up barricades to keep pedestrians out, and took positions with binoculars atop trucks. Though the produce stand was only a block or so from the White House, the first lady hopped into her armored limousine and pulled into the market amid the wail of sirens.

Then, and only then, could Obama purchase her leafy greens. “Now it’s time to buy some food,” she told several hundred people who came to watch. “Let’s shop!”

And…

Obama, in her brief speech to the vendors and patrons, handled the affordability issue by pointing out that people who pay with food stamps would get double the coupon value at the market. Even then, though, it’s hard to imagine somebody using food stamps to buy what the market offered: $19 bison steak from Gunpowder Bison, organic dandelion greens for $12 per pound from Blueberry Hill Vegetables, the Piedmont Reserve cheese from Everson Dairy at $29 a pound. Rounding out the potential shopping cart: $4 for a piece of “walnut dacquoise” from the Praline Bakery, $9 for a jumbo crab cake at Chris’s Marketplace, $8 for a loaf of cranberry-walnut bread and $32 for a bolt of yarn.

Read the whole thing. There’s a great line about….you guessed it….Bo:)

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I am still trying to figure out why we are supposed to be outraged by Rush Limbaugh’s remarks but not by Hilary Rosen’s.

Life is getting so confusing.

bw222 on April 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Ok. I don’t know how long you’ve been in HA, and a name like BlueSite sort of implies liberal/Dem troll – which means some people may jump on everything you say. But my last couple points were to try to clue you in that you will get crucified for what you say if you’re not careful and specific. Some people jump on trivial bits and don’t let go.

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Just got here. Has Angryed told us how this is the most horrible thing evah yet?

Ampersand on April 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Hold it , wait, before I go to the next page. Do 7-11 sell gas?

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Some do, some don’t.

bw222 on April 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM

but you betcha that with all the obfuscations and diversions created by the axelrods and the plouffes and their ilk, people will remember that their president ate dog tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, and the fay after that, till the election day…and beyond…

jimver on April 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Anonimo on April 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

OMG I just realized I know where this bakery is. Sorry, I’m a bit slow today. I have not personally bought anything there but I have not had it recommended to me by anyone who lives near it either. But I can personally recommend some other bakeries near the burgh though.

Deanna on April 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Hold it , wait, before I go to the next page. Do 7-11 sell gas?

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM

CITGO

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I don’t comment as much as I used to- too busy with school and work. Blue is my favorite color actually. :) So, nothing to do with politics. I never even thought of the name way back in 2001 when I started blogging, only because I didn’t do politics back then.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Some do, some don’t.

bw222 on April 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Oh, we don’t have them here, at least I don’t think we have them here. Thanks.

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I don’t get it.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM

He’s the first black President (other than Clinton *wink* *wink*) and people seem to want to give him extra chances to get it right. So they decide to “like” him even as they admit his policies aren’t helping. The Presidency should never have developed into a cult of personality but I guess that was inevitable.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Bakery tweeted they will be on PMSNBC tonite at 10.

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Doubling down on doubling down on the stupid.

This will not end well.

Solaratov on April 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM

When the going gets tough……..! Dude has stamina, I’ll say that.

a capella on April 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

CITGO

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Hugos stuff? We have circle K’s that sell Hugos stuff.

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

From AP’s post:

Kabuki outrage.

Excellent analysis of The Current Situation in the final paragraph, too: when you’ve got nothing, you sling everything, hoping something, anything, sticks… but it does take up a lot of media space, all that trivia.

So how’s Mitt holding out on the cookie front? “That’s the way the cookie crumbles,” or “Every dog has his day”?

de rigueur on April 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Arugula chompers. I’m naming my next dog arugula.

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I’m naming my next arugula Bo…

jimver on April 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM
They announced they would no longer sell Citgo gas.

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Bakery tweeted they will be on PMSNBC tonite at 10.

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Do we know if they are Rmoney™ supporters?

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

They stopped selling Venezuelan gas in 2006.

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

OMG! How can he be president if he’s not familiar with how beloved Bethel Bakery is in South Hills?!

Romney effectively clinches the GOP nom by forcing Santorum to drop out. So now the press pulls out the dogs and the cookies and they start going after Romney after mostly leaving him alone.

Crusty on April 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I checked out Drudge’s page that chick has a side profile similar than mine. Wow. Note to self: 1-Let your hair grow, 2-Lose weight, 3-No need for fake ta-ta’s. They’re real and they’re spectacular!

Sorry I feel “off” today. ;)

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Ampersand on April 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM

He’s been curiously MIA on this thread.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

jimver on April 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Mmm, Bo.

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Where I am (Colorado) it’s hard to find a grocery store or Costco or Sam’s Club that doesn’t have gas pumps. Very few old fashioned gas stations any more. As others have said, it’s more convenience stores or grocery stores with gas pumps.
As Bitter Clinger said – they don’t make their money on gas any more – that just helps bring in the customers for the stuff that makes a profit.

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I guess the military will identify with Obama , since they have been eating CHOW forever.

lovingmyUSA on April 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

My wife will never understand the intricate details of a candidate’s economic plan, or proposed reforms for various government programs, but she *will* know which candidate wrote about once eating a dog, and not being ashamed of it._RobRob on April 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM

The dog eating excerpt which Obama directed Ayers to insert into Dreams was obviously intended to demonstrate that Obama is not a Muslim. It’s nice to see it backfire.

BTW, anyone who doesn’t apprecate the both Mitt and the bakery owner were joking is a bit of a moron. Not a full fledged moron like those who won’t accept that the Republican Primary is over, but a bit of a moron nonetheless.

Basilsbest on April 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

This is their tweet:

RT @BethelBakery: Look for us on MSNBC tonight at 10pm! #cookiegate pic.twitter.com/Kbu4o1zT

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

jimver on April 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I see no logical reason to let the story die. This is what grassroots is all about!:)

a capella on April 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Bethel Bakery sucks anyway! Oakmont Bakery is way better!

reddevil on April 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

They announced they would no longer sell Citgo gas.

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Not all of them , some 7-11s are still selling Citgo as long as their contract dictates. Eventually , they’ll all go with independent suppliers, based on short term contracts

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Aaannd cookiegate is the gift that keeps on giving:

Romney ate Animal Crackers. Obama just ate the animal. #CookieGate

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Yeah, same here. It started with Sam’s Club having gas pumps, then Wal Mart started adding Murphy Oil pumps, then all the grocery stores- a lot of the stores had gas cards (they might still have them) where you buy certain items, or spend so much, you get so many cents off a gallon of gas.

I remember discussing gas stations back in my first class in economics…gas at some point became a loss leader to get people in to buy the insanely overpriced groceries items. I always fascinated by that.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Sorry I feel “off” today. ;)

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

We all have off days. At least you get to spend yours with nice ta-ta’s.

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Bethel Bakery sucks anyway! Oakmont Bakery is way better!

reddevil on April 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Damn right! Their pies are to die for!

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I believe Valero is the new Venezuelan gas company name??
At least some of our 7-11s now sell Conoco.

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM

We all have off days. At least you get to spend yours with nice ta-ta’s.

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Thanks, B! *sigh*

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM

A little logical reasoning comes into play. Everyone knows gas stations sell cookies. They come in plastic single serve packages and bear the name misses fields. Or small packs of oreos for outrageous prices.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Hey, Mr. Obtuse….the First Rule of Holes applies to you at this point.

El Salsero on April 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Gloria Allred has already been hired by The Cookie Monster to represent him in this tragic hour. #cookiegate

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

a capella on April 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

something like this will never die :-)…

jimver on April 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I’ve never personally seen a convenience store sans gas pumps/

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM

um… not to pill on ya BlueSite, but where the hell do you live? I’ve lived on the East Coast, the West Coast, and many places in between. Never have I lived in a place where this statement is true.

Ampersand on April 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

pill=pile

stupid spelling…

Ampersand on April 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Hey, Mr. Obtuse….the First Rule of Holes applies to you at this point.

El Salsero on April 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Please read more recent posts – BlueSite has explained several times – and is not a lib troll (as far as I can tell so far). Just poor wording and an expectation of us picking up on implied stuff.

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Ampersand on April 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky. (Evansville area).

They have convenience stores without any gas pumps? Never seen them myself, not even while traveling.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I believe Valero is the new Venezuelan gas company name??
At least some of our 7-11s now sell Conoco.

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Valero is American I believe, as is Conoco.
Citgo is a supplier but it’s not sold as a brand anymore by 7-11,
other than that freaky CITGO sign in Boston, Citgo is gradually disappearing like OOOgo !

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Are the convenience stores just as you’d see with gas pumps, just no pumps? The idea honestly sounds bizarre. Most of my friends would lose their minds- where would you park if not for the gas pump to park next to? :)

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Hold it , wait, before I go to the next page. Do 7-11 sell gas?

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Most do but you usually get gas on the way home.

RickB on April 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Ampersand on April 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I used to go to convenience stores that didn’t have gas pumps – but many years ago. But I’ve seen very few in the last 10 years. Seems like just about everyone has gas pumps these days – so for younger people in some areas that could very well be true.

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I’ve lived in Florida, Georgia, Indiana, and Kentucky…

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I’ve never personally seen a convenience store sans gas pumps/

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM

………..c’mon

(o_O)

Ampersand on April 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I believe Valero is the new Venezuelan gas company name??
At least some of our 7-11s now sell Conoco.

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Valero used to be Diamond Shamrock.

RickB on April 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Of course this bakery is going on Laurence odonnels show. The guy who went on an anti- Mormon diatribe. He was problem licking his lips at this. Hello this is Laurence, would you like to come on Mspmsnbc and trash Romney? Oh you would? Wonderful. Can you say something about Ann Romney and Mormons too? Great.

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Valero is American I believe, as is Conoco.
Citgo is a supplier but it’s not sold as a brand anymore by 7-11,

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I got the idea a couple years ago that Citgo may have changed their name to Valero after everyone found out they were Venezuelan and starting avoiding them. Not sure.

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I’ve lived in Florida, Georgia, Indiana, and Kentucky, and no, I’ve never seen a convenience store with a bakery that makes cookies. Donuts, yes…cookies, no. And even then, the donuts aren’t made on site just trucked in.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Translated: “I just had my getalife kicked to the Equator and back, so I am simply going to pretend I never made my original remark about convenience stores not selling cookies, and simply move the goalposts and hope no one notices.”

A+

Del Dolemonte on April 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Valero used to be Diamond Shamrock.

RickB on April 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Really? We still have Diamond Shamrocks and we have Valeros as well. Never saw a connection between them.

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Certainly not here in California, where you pretty much have to have a note signed by GOD himself to have a gas pump put in.

SWalker on April 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I’ve never personally seen a convenience store sans gas pumps/

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM

So you don’t know about Apu and Kwik- E- mart ?

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Most do but you usually get gas on the way home.

RickB on April 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Lol!

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM

This is more outrage silliness, but maybe Romney’s campaign needs to focus group his humor and joke delivery so that his one-liners can be judged from Huh? to Lame to OK to Funny to ROFL.

Last year a fascinating book came out, The Notes: Ronald Reagan’s Private Collection of Stories and Wisdom, that is a collection of quotes, statistics and ideas that Reagan wrote on 4 x 6 cards and used as his resources for speaking. One category of cards was humor. Good jokes were kept; if a joke bombed, then the card was thrown out. These cards were put together over decades. Now Reagan had natural talent, but still, if you want to become a great speaker and connect with people, then you need to speak and connect a lot.

It’s a little late for the Romney campaign to do that, but it would be worth their while to work on this. For all their organization, they’re a little myopic in comprehending the use of humor and its ability to get people on your side.

INC on April 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM

David Burge @ Iowahawkblog,

“I Wasn’t born with either a silver spoon in my mouth,
or a sliver Lab in my mouth”

Romney ate cookies,
Obama ate “cookie”

ConcealedKerry on April 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM

winner!

Dr. Demento on April 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

We have QT, they have cookies.

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

It also makes me wonder if you’ve ever stepped foot into a gas station.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM

lol, you’ve still not admitted that you’ve never been in a convenience store.

A+

Del Dolemonte on April 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Ok, if Mitt does not have a dog he should get one and bring it to this bakery and do a photo op. Maybe chew on a cookie while petting the dog and say “Cookies are for eating.”

TheGarbone on April 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I guess you’ve never been to a city then. They’re all over every city. But even when I’ve lived in rural areas I’ve seen them. I grew up right down the street from out local Quik Stop. It stopped selling gas about 20 years ago.

That’s ok, but it just means you really have no clue what you’re talking about when it comes to the subject.

Ampersand on April 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM

the use of humor and its ability to get people on your side.

INC on April 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Rmoney™’s team needs to start reading the comments on this site. I think there are some pretty funny folks here. Maybe it would rub off on em.

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Bmore, what is the Firefox addon you use to stop auto-refresh? It’s now irritated me to the point I need to stop it.

INC on April 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

First impression was (and I HATE to bring this up) that Mitt was eyeballing them there cookies to see if there were any chocolate chips in them. After noticing a few of the tender little morsels he opened his bakery-bashing mouth. Chocolate = Caffeine.

Oh well. ABO!

ahlaphus on April 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

You’re right. Good humor humanizes you. It gets people in your audience “with” you. It’s also one of the most effective ways to neutralize your opponent or criticize his actions without coming across as shrill or carping.

INC on April 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM

And QT sells hotdogs!

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM

INC on April 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I seldom have ever met anyone who doesn’t both enjoy and need a good laugh. It keeps you young too. ; )

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:41 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Of course you were, Dear.

A++

BTW one of the 3 convenience stores I have here in my tiny NH town sells store-made…cookies.

Want another shovel? One for each hand usually works best.

Del Dolemonte on April 19, 2012 at 6:42 PM

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

There was a boycott of Valero called by ……who else but CA loonies,

because Valero had contributed half a million dollars to put
Prop 23 on ballot, the measure against AB32.

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

can i get a trademark for Owe’money? or Owe’moremoney? or Owe’mychildren’smoney? or Owe’bamoney?

Dr. Demento on April 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 19, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Grow up.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Sorry I feel “off” today. ;)

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Pics or they didn’t happen!////////////

El Salsero on April 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Some of the rude people here remind of the people who comment at sites like Kos.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM

When I read the title, I was expecting some outrage about Romney insinuating that a woman baked the cookies. Such stereotypes are so backwards and Neanderthal /sarc.

Glenn Jericho on April 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM

At least he didn’t try to eat the Bakery owner’s puppy.

Swerve22 on April 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM