Today’s outrage: Romney said something insulting about cookies or something

posted at 4:36 pm on April 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

The bad news: It’s only mid-April and not only are we averaging one new outrageous outrage per day, they’re getting progressively dumber. This one will be hard to beat but stay tuned tomorrow. The good news: The more of these point-and-sputter fiascos there are, the more coverage there is of the political “outrage” industry and the savvier voters become about tuning it out as manufactured crapola. I’m seeing many more meta-stories lately in political media about the contrived nonsense involved in pushing “I’m offended” narratives and sustaining them for electoral advantage. That’s all to the good. The more the public dismisses them as campaign-orchestrated ploys, the less incentive there is to engage in them in the first place.

But in the meantime, here’s the outrage du jour. Says Jim Geraghty, “Man, it’s just going to be dogs and cookies in the news until Israel and Iran go to war, huh?”

Romney met with local residents Tuesday at an outdoor roundtable event at the Bethel Park Community Center. He guessed that a plate of cookies set on the table was from “a local 7-Eleven bakery or whatever.”

As it turns out, the treats were from Bethel Bakery, a longtime South Hills staple known for its signature pastries, cookies and cakes.

“When I heard it, I thought, ‘Oh, my goodness. This guy has no idea how beloved this institution is that provided these cookies,’” said bakery owner and president John Walsh. “We wanted him to be welcomed with the best in the burgh, and he had no idea.”…

“We had a customer on Facebook say, ‘Maybe he’s just used to eating cookies with diamonds in them,’” said Walsh.

Click the image below to watch the clip and you’ll see that Romney’s clearly teasing about the cookies. Even the bakery’s spokeswoman seems to be treating it as a big joke, which makes this a rare Daily Outrage where even the “victim” isn’t pretend-outraged. Otherwise, though, it’s predictable in all particulars: The Democrats are feigning disapproval, conservatives have hijacked the relevant Twitter hashtag and are having fun rubbing liberals’ faces in it, and everyone even tangentially related to the story is looking to capitalize. It’s almost a meta-outrage in itself: No one’s actually offended but everyone knows what to do in these situations, so they’re doing it.

Exit question: Is the Daily Outrage process self-perpetuating? The reason I think campaigns push idiocy like this is because voters are overwhelmed with news in multiple formats. You never know what’ll make it through that wall of information and into their voting consciousness so you’ve got to push everything you have, no matter how minor and moronic. No one will remember this story tomorrow but maybe the attention paid to it will subtly color a few swing voters’ impressions of Mitt. The goal isn’t to convince anyone that Romney hates small business or mom-and-pop bakeries or whatever but rather to convince them in broad terms that Romney’s a jerk, with that conclusion hopefully influencing their assessment of Mitt in various ways going forward. (That’s the strategy behind their obsession with Seamus the dog too, needless to say.) Problem is, the more of these kerfuffles there are, the more they add to the volume of news dumped on voters, which means campaigns feel even more pressure to kitchen-sink their opponents with every dumb, possibly damaging story available. Politics in the age of new media — catch the fever!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

ROMNEY IS A COOKIECIST!!!

Good Lt on April 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM

If I was a dem hack, I would not bring up food right now.

mwbri on April 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I lived a few miles from this place growing up.

Never heard of it.

NoDonkey on April 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I hear Obama’s bakery makes great Chihuahua Chip cookies.

Gingotts on April 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I don’t know about outrage but it has been very funny. I like to laugh almost as I like being employed.

Cindy Munford on April 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Again, flailing against nonexistent “outrage” here. I’m not seeing anyone being outraged. They’re making fun of Romney because he doesn’t know where the damn cookies came from.

cjw79 on April 19, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Pretty soon I’m gonna lose my cookies with all the mindless blather the Dims can drum up.

Slainte on April 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I dare you to read through #cookiegate and NOT laugh out loud. It is clear proof that conservatives have a much better sense of humor than libs!

PrincipleStand on April 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Was the cookie a snickerpoodle?

WisRich on April 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM

If I was a dem hack, I would not bring up food right now.

mwbri on April 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Perfect.

Tim_CA on April 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I’m certain Obama likes Oreos.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

(emphasis mine)
Of course, the owner would say that.

I lived a few miles from this place growing up.

Never heard of it.

NoDonkey on April 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I rest my case.

CurtZHP on April 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

They’re running out of tales.

Schadenfreude on April 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Imagine if would’ve said that the cookies were probably baked with white sugar.

Instant bounty created by NBP.

NapaConservative on April 19, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Democrats, Oreos, Michael Steele. ‘Nuff said.

Christien on April 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM

My wife will never understand the intricate details of a candidate’s economic plan, or proposed reforms for various government programs, but she *will* know which candidate wrote about once eating a dog, and not being ashamed of it.

_RobRob on April 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Why should he know where the cookies came from?

I have to imagine most people just tune this garbage out, especially this early in the campaign. I’m a political junkie and even I’m starting to burn out on this.

changer1701 on April 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM

This is hilarious. Seriously hilarious. I’m sure if he says it’s a beautiful day, Axelrod will tell us he just insulted yesterday. THIS is precisely the kind of excess those who don’t pay attention will notice. Keep ‘em coming.

At least it wasn’t schnouzer-doodles he was insulting.

Portia46 on April 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Since when is knowing anything about cookies, the eating kind, a presidential run requirement?

Schadenfreude on April 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM

This stuff in a vacuum is stupid. But it builds a narrative when they turn up over and over. I like to fire people. I put my dog on the rood. I don’t like local bakeries. My wife has 2 Cadillacs.

George Bush got hammered for looking at his watch during a debate and the supermarket scanner thing. Didn’t matter how stupid the “controversies” were, they stuck because they built upon the meme that Bush was an out of touch president who didn’t care about the common man.

All these little tidbits on Romney could have the same effect painting him as an aloof billionaire.

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

And Michelle Bachmann mentioned Obama and tar baby in the same sentence as well… then again, she’s not in contention any more for the presidency.

Never-the-less, liberals will be outraged!

Racism!

Cookieism!

Bakery Discrimination!

Don’t vote for Romney, he doesn’t like real baked goods. /

;)

Logus on April 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Schadenfreude on April 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Or Tails . . .

mwbri on April 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Democratic Desperation is the new black. And it is hilarious!

BHO Jonestown on April 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Or Tails . . .

mwbri on April 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

The clever ones knew it was implied :)

Schadenfreude on April 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Not enough foam. Try again.

CurtZHP on April 19, 2012 at 4:48 PM

CurtZHP on April 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

The owner is bitterly clinging to his cookies as we speak.

NoDonkey on April 19, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Maybe he was talking about the cookie at the end of the table.

NapaConservative on April 19, 2012 at 4:48 PM

OT: R.I.P. to Levon Helm of The Band.

Del Dolemonte on April 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM

And frankly, this is the best thing that’s happened to that bakery.

I lived near this bakery for 20 years and never heard of it.

Now everyone in Pittsburgh will have heard of it.

Mitt creates job and business wherever he goes.

NoDonkey on April 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I grew up in Bethel Park. The cookies are really good. This still isn’t going to make me vote for Obama, though.

patriette on April 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Finally you said something that doesn’t sound crazy.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

“Have you seen the price of arugula at Whole Foods lately?” Barry “everyman” Obama…

sandee on April 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Funny that the same people now diminishing this as no big deal spent weeks hammering Newt for buying his wife a ring from Tiffanys.

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Obama eats dogs and golfs and vacations more than he works.

Good Lt on April 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I guess we’ll never see anyone address the important issues in the press.

The Rogue Tomato on April 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Wouldn’t a diamond break yer tooth?

John the Libertarian on April 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

You’re right, how could we ever consider electing a president with no knowlege of the quality of baked goods from Bethel Park, PA?

NoDonkey on April 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Mitt did it all for the nookie
So you can take that cookie

Christien on April 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

D’oh, you got us. And I thought we’d get away with it.
You’re one sharp cookie!

NapaConservative on April 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM

After which Slow Joe Biden said the 7-Eleven salesman was from Pockyston.

Steve Z on April 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM

A robot would know exactly where those cookies were from. Not Mitt.

LetsBfrank on April 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Someone here just said someone is an aloof billionaire. The person he is referring to is a millionaire. That’s the problem with libs, they don’t know the difference between billions and millions and they are fine racking up trillions.

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

sandee on April 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Yes, he eats an elite LETTUCE.

cjw79 on April 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

This is not an issue, but it does make Romney look like the aloof, disconnected, millionaire robot many complain he is. I’ve never in my life heard of a convenience store selling cookies- what planet does this guy live on? Do you really become this disconnected from the real world when you make a certain amt of money?

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Huh? I certainly didn’t give Newt any crap over that. He bought his wife expensive jewelry and paid for it out of his own pocket in full. I thought it was a non-story then and I feel the same way now.

Now the Greek cruise was inexplicable however since it occurred during a period when the dude should’ve been out campaigning.

Doughboy on April 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

It’s almost as if he could recognize a homebaked cookie if he saw one. I wonder why if he’s such a rich fat cat? Maybe that slacker never-worked-a-day-in-her-life Ann had something to do with it.

Lily on April 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

You forgot the sarc tag, Francis.

NapaConservative on April 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

“The more the public dismisses them as campaign-orchestrated ploys, the less incentive there is to engage in them in the first place.”

Why don’t they just run on Obowma’s record…?

O_O

Seven Percent Solution on April 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

A few months ago, I would have bet $10K if someone had told me HotGas readers would be defending Sketch’s aloofness. I feel for you all.

Here is a man who kept on nodding his head to everything those folks said including having to raise taxes on everyone to pay for the public services we all enjoy.

Uppereastside on April 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

If Romney buys them with his own money,what’s the problem ?
It’s not like the Mooch and her parasitic family memebers who party and live like Maharajas and sheikhs on taxpayer dime

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

If I were Romney, and some media schmuck asked me about this, I’d look him or her right in the eye and say “Cookies?!? Are you f*cking kidding me?!?”

Moose Drool on April 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I wonder what cookie would make the best dessert after a meal of dogmeat.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I Shall Be Released

Christien on April 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I think it’s fun. Demonstrates the maturity levels of our leaders.
Skewering should be considered a national sport. They should at least keep us entertained while they destroy the country.

a capella on April 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Really? I mean really? My husband, bless his heart, couldn’t name a bakery in our town to save his life. He’s hardly an aloof millionaire”robot” like Romney…

sandee on April 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Up yours Walsh.

Either vote for Mittens or enjoy being put out of business by Maobama!

LevinFan on April 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I encourage the Dim-o-crats to keep reminding everybody how superficial, hypocritical and intellectually vacant they really are.

ROMNEY 2012

cicerone on April 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM

A typical Indonesian dog’s name is “cookies” just in case supplies get short.

Nemesis of Jihad on April 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Obama gives all of his cookies to Bo as an investment.

LetsBfrank on April 19, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Wrong.
Looks like Mitt was right.

“There are bakeries dedicated just to delivering and making fresh baked goods every day, 365 days a year, for 7-Eleven stores. So we were very amused, because he got it right.” Chabris added that, to show Romney what he’s missing, 7-Eleven is even going to “send some [cookies] to his campaign headquarters in Boston so he can try them out.”

Brat on April 19, 2012 at 5:01 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Have you ever actually visited a convenience store?

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 5:01 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Seriously? Have you never been to a convenience store? Of course they have cookies. And depending on where they get the ones in the display cases, usually a local bakery, they have some mighty good ones.

Lily on April 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I’ve never in my life heard of a convenience store selling cookies

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Come on now, at 7-Eleven they keep them right next to the poodle jerky.

NapaConservative on April 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Portia46 on April 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Precisely.

They’re pushing these things so fast now, it’s getting hard to keep up. Which thread is this again? Are we talking greyhound races or cookies? Or is it dogs on vacation or silver spoons? I’m gonna need a scorecard.

Dee2008 on April 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I don’t know about cookies but I think free speech is important.

Speakup on April 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM

If I was a dem hack, I would not bring up food right now.

mwbri on April 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I hear Obama’s bakery makes great Chihuahua Chip cookies.

Gingotts on April 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Was the cookie a snickerpoodle?

WisRich on April 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM

They’re running out of tales.

Schadenfreude on April 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

You guys are killin’ me here!

But at least Romney didn’t reference someplace that had been closed for 20 years.

Mitoch55 on April 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Have you ever been to a convenience store ?
In America I mean ?

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Isn’t there some critter called the ‘cookie monster’? When will he/she/it put their 2 cents in on this MAJOR issue?

When you think about all this, doesn’t it make your head hurt with all the petty krap? We can’t deal with, gosh I don’t know, stuff like our nations cratering? NO we deal with dogs, cookies, a mom that NEVER work outside of them home, someone who is ‘so’ rich they have NO idea what the others in the country have to deal with, some twinkie that wants bc for the rest of her life at taxpayers expense?

Boy the Friday dump should be a doozy, because this weeks krap has been ZERO we have been getting? Take the issue off bho’s horrible term is what is happening.
L

letget on April 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Never heard of Bethel Bakery.
So now any GOP nominee must know EVERY little company across the entire country?

Pop quiz – do ANY of the candidates know about Len Libby’s Candies?
What? Why not? They’re a beloved little mom & pop chocolate/candy operation in my hometown in Maine. How could you not know about them???? /////

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM

And this is the best that the morons in the mainstream media can come up with? That shows you just what a joke this country has become.

RZuendt on April 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Besides, don’t ask Mittens about those cookies. His expertise is with fortune cookies.

NapaConservative on April 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

How is someone aloof when they tease some bakers about their cookies? People are looking for things to find fault with and build that narrative. Anything he says/does will be used to that end, because that all your guy’s got.

changer1701 on April 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Nillas are my favorite!

~Biden

Christien on April 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM

letget on April 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I can’t speak from first-hand knowledge because I haven’t seen Sesame Street in a couple of decades, but didn’t they change “Cookie Monster” into a different character because his cravings for cookies weren’t sending the right nutritional message to kids?

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM

@5:06
Oh dear, s/b that NEVER worked outside the home..
Note to L proof read!
L

letget on April 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I would concur you have never, ever been to a convenience store. Ask your maid or something.

Masih ad-Dajjal on April 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM

the libtards are getting dumber by the day….

jimver on April 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

They eat guinea pigs in Andean countries. Take that and run with it.

RickB on April 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I’m certain Obama likes Oreos.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

…he he…I keep forgetting who raised him.

KOOLAID2 on April 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Don’t go to a Valero gas station.

RickB on April 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM

We have a serious cookie inequality gap in my house – my wife likes Oreos and I like Fig Newtons.
Not sure how this marriage can survive (another 24 years)…..

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM

7-11′s get their cookies, donuts, & pastries from local Bakeries.

What is the freakin’ big deal????

portlandon on April 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I’m certain Obama likes Oreos.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I never considered my wife’s taste for Oreos from that angle….

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I wonder what cookie would make the best dessert after a meal of dogmeat.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

The best ones are made with Whole Wheaten Flour.

Dee2008 on April 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Why would you, unless there are convenience stores in your Parents basement.

portlandon on April 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM

New theme for Romney’s campaign: Grow up, People! We’re $16 trillion and rising in debt and these morons are talking about dogs in carriers on cars and cookie source insensitivity. Campaign by paper cuts? Anything to avoid the elephants in the room. Debt, deficits, unemployment, the housing bubble, F&F and now Hookergate in the Secret Service, to name a few. How about a series on the size of 16 trillion, powers of 10, comparable measures, such as the number of meters in a a light year. And how about the stupidity of expecting a tax on millionaires to pay it off?

flataffect on April 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM

My favorite cookie quote:

Girl Scout: “Is your lemondade made with real lemons?”

Wednesday: “Are your Girl Scout cookies made with real Girl Scouts?”

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM

You know what kinds of people know that Seven-Eleven sells cookies?

The kinds of people who travel on vacation across country with their families, in cars, where they have to buy their own gas. Maybe cars with specially made carriers on top for the family pet.

You know what kind of people think Seven-Eleven doesn’t sell cookies and that you can only buy cookies at special bakeries?

The kind of people who travel by jet for family vacation and have someone else buying the gas. – Separate jet for the dog that they havent eaten yet.

Lily on April 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Come on now, at 7-Eleven they keep them right next to the poodle jerky.

NapaConservative on April 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM

My neighborhood 7-11 keeps cookies right next to Pup-o-Poodles and Pup-corn

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM

That tears it. I’m outta here. Call me when the apocalypse is over.

rogaineguy on April 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Yup – the best cookie quote.

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I wonder what cookie would make the best dessert after a meal of dogmeat.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Lmao. Doggie biscuits.

Slainte on April 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I had no idea that this was even a topic of discussion until I saw this thread…so chances are most Americans are just as unaware.

Normal people do not bother with stuff like this.

Terrye on April 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I agree, Romney IS outrageous as a GOP nominee.

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 5:18 PM

New ad for Romney. Romney picks up cookies, smiles takes a large bite and says, “I just love the taste of these cookies, but I sure wont woof them all down” while leaning down and petting his doggy.

canditaylor68 on April 19, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Oh the irony.

Let me guess: you buy all your groceries at Whole Foods and you’ve never entered a convenience store in your life. Am I right? Be honest!

joana on April 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM

canditaylor68 on April 19, 2012 at 5:18 PM

LMAO!!!!!!!

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I don’t have kids either and have never watch that program. But it is a name of ‘cookie monster’ I have heard of. I was just trying to make a point of the endless everyone needs to say something in these ever lasting issues of non-issues?

BTW all our convenience stores around here has cookies for sale and I have gotten them. They are pre-packaged, but actually good. But I live in TX and we are SO outta touch here don’t you know?
L