Today’s outrage: Romney said something insulting about cookies or something

posted at 4:36 pm on April 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

The bad news: It’s only mid-April and not only are we averaging one new outrageous outrage per day, they’re getting progressively dumber. This one will be hard to beat but stay tuned tomorrow. The good news: The more of these point-and-sputter fiascos there are, the more coverage there is of the political “outrage” industry and the savvier voters become about tuning it out as manufactured crapola. I’m seeing many more meta-stories lately in political media about the contrived nonsense involved in pushing “I’m offended” narratives and sustaining them for electoral advantage. That’s all to the good. The more the public dismisses them as campaign-orchestrated ploys, the less incentive there is to engage in them in the first place.

But in the meantime, here’s the outrage du jour. Says Jim Geraghty, “Man, it’s just going to be dogs and cookies in the news until Israel and Iran go to war, huh?”

Romney met with local residents Tuesday at an outdoor roundtable event at the Bethel Park Community Center. He guessed that a plate of cookies set on the table was from “a local 7-Eleven bakery or whatever.”

As it turns out, the treats were from Bethel Bakery, a longtime South Hills staple known for its signature pastries, cookies and cakes.

“When I heard it, I thought, ‘Oh, my goodness. This guy has no idea how beloved this institution is that provided these cookies,’” said bakery owner and president John Walsh. “We wanted him to be welcomed with the best in the burgh, and he had no idea.”…

“We had a customer on Facebook say, ‘Maybe he’s just used to eating cookies with diamonds in them,’” said Walsh.

Click the image below to watch the clip and you’ll see that Romney’s clearly teasing about the cookies. Even the bakery’s spokeswoman seems to be treating it as a big joke, which makes this a rare Daily Outrage where even the “victim” isn’t pretend-outraged. Otherwise, though, it’s predictable in all particulars: The Democrats are feigning disapproval, conservatives have hijacked the relevant Twitter hashtag and are having fun rubbing liberals’ faces in it, and everyone even tangentially related to the story is looking to capitalize. It’s almost a meta-outrage in itself: No one’s actually offended but everyone knows what to do in these situations, so they’re doing it.

Exit question: Is the Daily Outrage process self-perpetuating? The reason I think campaigns push idiocy like this is because voters are overwhelmed with news in multiple formats. You never know what’ll make it through that wall of information and into their voting consciousness so you’ve got to push everything you have, no matter how minor and moronic. No one will remember this story tomorrow but maybe the attention paid to it will subtly color a few swing voters’ impressions of Mitt. The goal isn’t to convince anyone that Romney hates small business or mom-and-pop bakeries or whatever but rather to convince them in broad terms that Romney’s a jerk, with that conclusion hopefully influencing their assessment of Mitt in various ways going forward. (That’s the strategy behind their obsession with Seamus the dog too, needless to say.) Problem is, the more of these kerfuffles there are, the more they add to the volume of news dumped on voters, which means campaigns feel even more pressure to kitchen-sink their opponents with every dumb, possibly damaging story available. Politics in the age of new media — catch the fever!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Bethel Bakery sucks anyway! Oakmont Bakery is way better!

reddevil on April 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Oakmont Bakery … mmmmm!

PatriotGal2257 on April 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Oh fer Pete’s sake. This is beyond stupid.

totherightofthem on April 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I used to go to convenience stores that didn’t have gas pumps – but many years ago. But I’ve seen very few in the last 10 years. Seems like just about everyone has gas pumps these days – so for younger people in some areas that could very well be true.

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM

yeah… no. Not buying it. Only if you live an extremely sheltered life will you never see a convenience store without a gas pump. And if you live such a sheltered existence you can’t really speak for how the American people will feel on a subject.

A quick google search shows there are convenience stores without gas pumps in the Evensville area. There is a Kangaroo Express just 16 mile from downtown Evensville. From their site:

Kangaroo Express
300 Watson Lane
Henderson
No Gas

I’m not trying to be a dick here. I just REALLY hate it when people try to win an argument by pretending to be ignorant. BlueSite put his foot in his mouth. We’ve all done it. But to then go on pretending he is correct while proving he is sheltered from the subject (or lying) just irks me.

Ampersand on April 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM

This is all very well about cookies, but do you realize that both Romney and Obama attended the University that invented goldfish swallowing?

Oh, yes, it all started at Harvard with freshman Lothrop Withington, Jr. ’42, who, “goaded by a bet with his roomates, downed a goldfish never to be upped again.”

Has either Romney or Obama condemned this?

Would Obama even dare, after accepting that puppy-swallowing bet with Lothrop Withington IV?
Never to be upped again?

de rigueur on April 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Funny that the same people now diminishing this as no big deal spent weeks hammering Newt for buying his wife a ring from Tiffanys.

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Who cares what Newt did with his own money?

ladyingray on April 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM

O.T. Levon Helm died today. One of the great voices of rock-n-roll.

steel guy on April 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Really? We still have Diamond Shamrocks and we have Valeros as well. Never saw a connection between them.

dentarthurdent on April 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Valero’s Wiki page.

RickB on April 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I don’t remember that getting a lot of play around here. I think you may have your groups of people mixed up. I would say:

“Funny that the same people now pretending this is a big deal spent weeks hammering Newt for buying his wife a ring from Tiffanys.’

Ampersand on April 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM

For all their organization, they’re a little myopic in comprehending the use of humor and its ability to get people on your side.
INC on April 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Not necessarily.

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Today’s outrage: Romney said something insulting about cookies or something

Is this some kind Saul Alinsky strategy at work here?

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I don’t know about outrage but it has been very funny. I like to laugh almost as I like being employed.

Cindy Munford on April 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM

This. Snort.

Long haired country boy on April 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

That’s one I would rate in the Huh? to Lame range.

INC on April 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Ann Romney has never ate a cookie in her life.

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM
That’s one I would rate in the Huh? to Lame range.
INC on April 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Good for you, I thought it was hilarious.

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Good for you, I thought it was hilarious.

Rusty Allen on April 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM

It was great! Comedy gold.

It was kinda subtle and dry. That’s why I loved it.

Ampersand on April 19, 2012 at 7:08 PM

can i get a trademark for Owe’money? or Owe’moremoney? or Owe’mychildren’smoney? or Owe’bamoney?

Dr. Demento on April 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM

You sure can. Right here.

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM

O.T. Levon Helm died today. One of the great voices of rock-n-roll.

steel guy on April 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Yep. I was sad to hear. Heck of a thing to be able to do. Sing and fling sticks.

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Bmore, what is the Firefox addon you use to stop auto-refresh? It’s now irritated me to the point I need to stop it.

INC on April 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

INC, I sorry to respond so slowly. I don’t know how I missed this. Here.

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I=I’m

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

We’ve entered a whole new level of stupid.

WisCon on April 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Democrats and Obama supporters like resident HotAir troll AngryEd are sure getting desperate trying to find ways to attack Romney.

Sadly for them, Romney maintains a huge lead among voters who care most about the economy. That’s where this election will be won. These other made-up distractions about stupid topics are not going to be enough to divert attention from the economy, as Obama and his worshipers would like.

All the Obama worshipers can do is call people racist and engage in class warfare, trying to stir up resentment toward successful people. Those dirty tactics won’t be enough for Obama…

Barack Obama is heading for defeat in November!

bluegill on April 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

steel guy on April 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM

RIP Levon…

d1carter on April 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

O.T. Levon Helm died today. One of the great voices of rock-n-roll.
steel guy on April 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Gone to the Poor Old Dirt Farm in the sky.

whatcat on April 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Well that about cuts it for me. I can take Romney being a robot, his wife a lazy car-elevator polisher, and dragging his dog behind the car while on vaction, but this…THIS…it’s too much for me to dismiss.

PBHO 2012

Bishop on April 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I hear Obama ate chocolate lab cookies with Lolo… Has this been said already? If it has, I’m outraged!

Fallon on April 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

“Have you seen the price of arugula at Whole Foods lately?” Barry “everyman” Obama…

sandee on April 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Yes, he eats an elite LETTUCE.

cjw79 on April 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Actually it’s more like spinach and it’s about the same price but I like it better. I can get on board with the Obama bashing just leave my arugula alone!!!!!

Ann NY on April 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Barack Obama is heading for defeat in November!

bluegill on April 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

That is my hope and prayer every night.

BWT, obama sucks.

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM

That’s one I would rate in the Huh? to Lame range.
INC on April 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM

You’re an out of the mainstream on this.

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

No,no,no Barack – “how much is that doggie in the window?” is a Doris Day song, not pricing groceries.

whatcat on April 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Thanks. I was going to ask you for it later on the QOTD.

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Well, on this thread I’m outnumbered 2:1. However, it would IMHO have been funnier if rather than retweeting Axelrod’s photo of Obama in the limo, the R campaign said, no, no, no. This is how a loving owner transports his dog—and then tweeted Bo on the tarmac leaving his own plane.

A limo is not a big deal. How else does a President usually get from place to place? Limos, helo and AF 1. But the whole scenario of Bo going on ahead with WH staff was odd. It’s hard to believe the kids wouldn’t have wanted him on the same plane.

INC on April 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Doggone it these cookies are good.

profitsbeard on April 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

INC on April 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Er, you seem to have missed the joke. It’s funny because O looks like he’s strangling BO in preparation for dinner.

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

whatcat on April 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Love it. You people are hilarious. There have been some great comments about Obama’s dog-eating.

“Pass the poodle!”

bluegill on April 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

At some point the media becomes a caricature of itself.

crosspatch on April 19, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Eric v. Axelrod twitter war. I report, you decide who’s funnier.

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM

As soon as a Democrat Media Complex outrageously outraged meme gets swatted away, they unveil another one like clockwork.

OxyCon on April 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I thought Romney was being funny, he was joking with someone there. Teasing someone about something we didn’t get to see.

picky picky.

Fleuries on April 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Just for fun I’ve been searching for images of Michael Vick and O. Like this which demands a caption.

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I think the libs are being a bit ruff-ruff-ruff with Mitt about something as silly as cookies.

redwhiteblue on April 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

My point is that you can double down on mean, i.e., with taunts of who treats their dog the worse, or you can bury attacks and outrages by emphasizing and exaggerating the silliness to the extent that the other campaign starts to think twice before doing it again.

Scoring against an opponent on the web or on twitter may earn you points in a debate, but will it win votes? Are we going to see this escalation of jabs for the rest of the year? The Dems wrote the book on down and dirty. You can get in the mud with them or you can point out that they’re the ones who stay down there in the mud.

OxyCon on April 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM

That’s why the tactic should be to bury this once and for all, rather than approaching it skirmish by skirmish.

* * * * * * *

Generally, though, it should be a top priority for Romney to learn to use humor effectively.

INC on April 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM

INC on April 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I thought that was your point. The two paragraphs above come across as digging.

Buy Danish on April 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Wow…I wish this would have come up before the primaries were effectively over. Now we’ve got a cookie monster as our nominee.

lynncgb on April 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Ampersand on April 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM

lol. Yes. I’m lying or sheltered because I don’t cross a river and a bridge and a stateline to buy gasoline in a different state on a dead end road where exists ONE store with no gas pumps.

TheBlueSite on April 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM

This stuff in a vacuum is stupid. But it builds a narrative when they turn up over and over. I like to fire people. I put my dog on the rood. I don’t like local bakeries. My wife has 2 Cadillacs.

George Bush got hammered for looking at his watch during a debate and the supermarket scanner thing. Didn’t matter how stupid the “controversies” were, they stuck because they built upon the meme that Bush was an out of touch president who didn’t care about the common man.

All these little tidbits on Romney could have the same effect painting him as an aloof billionaire.

angryed on April 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I’m not sure really why I bother except that it’s something we need to remember as we’ll be fighting this until November but it doesn’t matter who it is.

If they didn’t find something as silly as this they would make it up. I’d rather they stuck with this because it makes them look much stupider in the long run rather than trying to fight off lies or allegations.

The other point is if someone is THIS stupid to believe an idiotic meme trying to tell them how to feel, then they deserve to remain unemployed and broke.

I really wish you’d quit this. All you are doing is making people who would not normally defend Romney (like me) comment because you are making no sense and willfully ignoring the bigger picture.

Romney is not the candidate yet. Why don’t you spend your time trying to convince people to vote for Gingrich or Paul or fight for a brokered convention or whatever the heck your whine comes from.

kim roy on April 19, 2012 at 10:20 PM

DESPERATION!

Voter from WA State on April 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Yep. This is the best they can do – manufactured idiocy and I’m really enjoying it. Anything no matter how stupid in order to distract from Obama’s record.

kim roy on April 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM

“Pass the poodle!”

bluegill on April 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Chit-Chat ?

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM

@TheBlueState.

Robomney didn’t say “convenience store”, he said 7-11. They’re pretty common here. I’ve been in dozens of them regularly. Some sell gas, more of them don’t, but they all sell locally produced cakes and cookies. Ignorance of these facts may make it less egregious in your mind, but it still leaves you a liar.

S. D. on April 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM

TheBlueSite. Sheesh.

S. D. on April 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM

S. D. on April 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM

7-11 is a convenience store. It’s not a grocery store.

How on earth did I lie? I said I have never seen a convenience store that sells fresh baked cookies in a plastic container.

That wasn’t the point to begin with- the point was, not a lot of people buy fresh baked cookies from convenience stores. I have never seen them sold personally (which is precisely what I said to begin with!), so it’s surely not a common thing to buy bakery cookies at a 7-11 for most of us, and furthermore, telling someone their cookies look as if they came from the store down the street that sells slurpies, tobacco products, and slim jims is insulting, and Romney looks dumb for not realizing that.

Plus, it’s a terribly lame joke. Point being- Mitt DOES have a likeability problem and a disconnect with what most of us go through.

We can ignore that, but it’s there and it’s going to come into play in this election whether we like it or not. Romney definitely has TONS of work to do on the likeability front…heck, he has tons of work to do in merely seeming like he’s not a stiff awkward robot.

TheBlueSite on April 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM

“There are bakeries dedicated just to delivering and making fresh baked goods every day, 365 days a year, for 7-Eleven stores. So we were very amused, because he got it right.” Chabris added that, to show Romney what he’s missing, 7-Eleven is even going to “send some [cookies] to his campaign headquarters in Boston so he can try them out.”

Brat on April 19, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Robomney didn’t say “convenience store”, he said 7-11. they all sell locally produced cakes and cookies.

S. D. on April 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM

S. D. on April 20, 2012 at 2:52 AM

How have we allowed our country to be taken over by this pack of village idiots!?

ROMNEY IS A COOKIECIST!!!

Good Lt on April 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I stand corrected. I had predicted a “Republican war on puppies” first. I guess the dog eating kerfuffle kerfuffled it (for now).

I expect audio by Biden at a fund raiser soon impersonating elves being evicted from the forest, although I’m mot making a formal prediction. It could be cotton candy next.

onomo on April 20, 2012 at 7:09 AM

We’ve had the beer summit. It’s time for the cookie summit. Obama can have his soy milk and Biden can have his all time favorite beverage – chocolate Yoo Hoo.

michaelthomas on April 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM

The Mormon Bible doesn’t permit lying. Neither does the Christian Bibles. The only one that does permit lying is the Quran.

Humor has no place in politics. lol

dahni on April 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM

QUICK! Let’s all rally around Romney as he did for Sarah Palin when she was attacked by the liberals and the GOP insiders. Let’s all do NOTHING!

[crickets chirping]