Politico to Eric Cantor: Have you detected any anti-semitism in the House GOP caucus?

posted at 8:02 pm on April 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

Think Progress pushed this out this morning but it’s making the rounds at NRO and Commentary and several nonpartisan Jewish news sources. The springboard for the question is the fact that Cantor supported Adam Kinzinger over Don Manzullo in the recent GOP primary in Illinois, allegedly in part because Manzullo once said Cantor wouldn’t be “saved” because he’s Jewish. Watch the clip and pay special attention to the very end. Cantor initially says no, there’s no anti-semitism, and then speaks vaguely about the “darker side” of politics in America generally. But then Mike Allen tries to pin him down by specifying that he’s talking about the House Republican caucus. Here’s how Patrick Brennan at NRO saw it:

Allen asked Cantor, “have you detected any anti-Semitism among members of Congress?” Cantor said “No,” and then stated that he “didn’t want to talk about those comments,” (presumably the Manzullo statement), calling it “the darker side” of politics. Allen continued to prod him, saying “so you’re saying there is a darker side,” and Cantor explained that he did believe there were problems of religious and racial intolerance in the U.S. When Allen came back at his general comments by saying, “we’re talking about the House Republican Caucus, not America,” Cantor didn’t respond.

Of course, Cantor’s negative response was entirely clear, and his office, when reached for comment, pointed to the fact that his answer was clearly, “no,” there is not evidence of anti-Semitism in Congress.

But that’s not what ThinkProgress got from the video, headlining their post with the spectacularly dishonest assertion, “Cantor Suggests Anti-Semitism Is A Problem Within The House GOP Caucus.”

He does say no when Allen first asks him about anti-semitism but his hesitation at the end is cryptic, enough so that the Jewish Telegraphic Agency described it as a “pregnant silence” worthy of elaboration. Brennan thinks Cantor’s shrug and nonresponse are just his way of saying he’s tired of Allen pressing him on the topic and is ready to move on. That’s totally possible, but I confess that when I first watched the clip, I took his reaction more as a polite way of saying “we’re not completely immune from some of that ‘darker side’ stuff either.” His initial “no” in response to Allen was, I thought, his way of saying that anti-semitism isn’t any kind of institutional problem inside Congress, with the rest of his answer amounting to “but in life there are always a few bad apples everywhere.” But I don’t know, Brennan could well be right. I’m curious to see what you guys think since different people are seeing the clip differently. Note too the murmuring and laughter from the audience at the end. I took that to be a sign that they saw his response the same way I did, but maybe not. As I say, you make the call.

Comments

War on Jews.

Electrongod on April 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Oh, and when did you stop beating your wife, by the way?

Warner Todd Huston on April 19, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Eric Ivan Cantor FAIL!

POLITICO FAIL!

WTF? One comment by a lone Republican earns charges of anti-semitism?

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Maybe he needs to interview the CBC. Ellison might have some views on Jews.

a capella on April 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM

War on Jews.

Electrongod on April 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Only on GOP Jews.

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Really cheap shot.

SouthernGent on April 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Sounded to me like Cantor was avoiding a loaded question.

MadisonConservative on April 19, 2012 at 8:10 PM

in other news the base of the democratic party screams Israeli Firsters!!!!!!

rob verdi on April 19, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Politico blows.

changer1701 on April 19, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I can’t stand Mike Allen. Drives me mad every time Hugh allows him time on his show.

jawkneemusic on April 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM

If a colleague told me that, I would respond that in that case, I’m fortunate that God, rather than my colleague, is the one who gets to decide my fate.

aunursa on April 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM

My question is why even grace these liberal hacks with an interview?

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Can’t wait till they ask Obama if he’s detected any anti-semitism is the White House.

Aplombed on April 19, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I don’t understand how every “minority” Republican politician doesn’t already have a polished stock answer for this question every time the media ask it.

And they always</strong> ask it.

The media are dying for a Republican to talk about how Republicans really are closet racists and they are just putting on a nice public face. They are going to get this question asked every time if there is questioner thinks there’s a chance of having the Republican bad mouth another Republican.

Nessuno on April 19, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Has the LA Times detected any anti-Semitism on the Obama and Rashid Khalidi video?

Christien on April 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Sweet Jueebus, talk about over-analyzing a comment and a reaction.

Tim Zank on April 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

No, only from the democrat caucus.

jukin3 on April 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Wait… I thought the republicans were controlled by war mongering neo-con jews?!? Are you telling me this was all a lie?

Fenris on April 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Typical Jewish response…

The Ugly American on April 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Typical Jewish response…

The Ugly American on April 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM

…and yes I was being sarcastic…

The Ugly American on April 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM

So, is he thinking of the BCC, or Ron Paul?

Count to 10 on April 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Aplombed on April 19, 2012 at 8:12 PM

It would be entirely appropriate if Obama had made such a remark in the past. Ask yourself why Cantor would even mention that a Jew wouldn’t be saved… is there a place for that in politics? It’s stupid and childish behavior more than anything else.

Manzullo — according to more than a half-dozen Republican sources — once said Cantor, a devout Jew, would not be “saved.” The remark occurred several years ago, when Cantor was serving as chief deputy whip, the sources said. Cantor allies were put off by the comment, Republicans said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/74969.html#ixzz1sXEdwpZt

bayam on April 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

But do Jews eat dogs? That’s the real question. ;-)

Scotsman on April 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

So, is he thinking of the BCC, or Ron Paul?

Count to 10 on April 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I am sure there are a few more.

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

If there is any, it’s resentment that all the libturd Jews over here while Israel has all the good ones.

The Count on April 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Anti-semitism?

Who recently lit all the candles on the Hanukkiyah at the same time….
While eating dog…..?

Electrongod on April 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

He’s definitely trying to indicate there’s a “problem” in the House Republican Caucus.

bobs1196 on April 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

The Count on April 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Sad to say, but I did meet a few Israelis who are as liberal as their American counterparts.

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

‘Eric, Don’t Call My Bluff’

I don’t know. Maybe it’s because he is a Jewish Republican instead of a liberal democrat towing the party’s liberal ideology?

FLconservative on April 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I’m sure there is no Jew hatred in Obama’s Occupoopers and New Black Panthers people !
That would be the same Obama who calls himself a friend of
Jew janitors

burrata on April 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Who recently lit all the candles on the Hanukkiyah at the same time….
While eating dog…..?

Electrongod on April 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Hey, how else to you cook dog meat?

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Amazing, but not suprising.

At best you can say his remarks at the end were non-committal to the suggestion that there is a problem in the caucus….his non-answer is the answer…as in “Does that really have to be said out loud?”

I think the audience “got it”…and so did the interviewer…until the look on his face says “I can still spin this one”…

…darn if he wasn’t right.

BlaxPac on April 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

FLconservative on April 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

They are doing the same to black GOP members, nothing new here from liberals. Allen West is prime example.

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I’not a Jew or a Congressman and I’ve detected it. How could Cantor miss it?

joana on April 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Hey, how else to you cook dog meat?

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Ahhh…yes…

Electrongod on April 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Of course there’s anti-Semitism in Congress. And it’s right there, in the House Progressive Caucus. Cantor, I assume, didn’t want to got there, given the crap Allen West took on that from Soulsobad O’Brien the other day, but Jew hatred is thick in this group.

TXUS on April 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Sounded to me like Cantor was avoiding a loaded question.

MadisonConservative on April 19, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Yep.

He thought he ducked Allen’s initial comment, but then walked right into the “we’re talking about the House” comment, so he opted to shut up at that point, because he didn’t know what quotes Allen wanted to blast at him.

budfox on April 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Tying Romney to the Mormon baptism of dead jews. It’s coming folks.

WordsMatter on April 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I’ve detected anti-semitism on the Left.

rbj on April 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM

TXUS on April 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

You sure about that? No Jews in the House Progressive Caucus?

I’d start with Herr Doktor, he’s on the GOP side, no?

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM

But do Jews eat dogs? That’s the real question. ;-)

Scotsman on April 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Only if the dog has cloven hooves and chews its cud.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on April 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Brennan protests too much. But that doesn’t mean Alert the ADL.

Seth Halpern on April 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Agreed.

FLconservative on April 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM

But will them Joos keep Obama away from Reverend Wright, as the good pastor has claimed?

thebrokenrattle on April 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM

TXUS on April 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Weren’t Jews first adopters of progressivism? Go back to pre-1917 and then Trotsky and Co, too bad a good number of them ended up in USA (Hollywood and NY Lower East Side, anyone?) after destrying Russia back in the day. Lenin simply claimed the deed, Jews did the job from start to finish.

Not saying libs love Jews, they don’t, liberal Jews are simply useful idiots to non-Jewish progressives and haven’t got a clue they’re being used.

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM

You sure about that? No Jews in the House Progressive Caucus?

I’d start with Herr Doktor, he’s on the GOP side, no?

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM

First, I don’t believe Paul is a member of the Progressive Caucus, but hatred of Jews and Israel is part of the glue, along with pro-abortion, anti-gun rights, and anti-capitalism stances, among others, that binds that caucus together.

TXUS on April 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

thebrokenrattle on April 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Good Rev may actually be right, Hitler, err, Axelrod and Co. have done a good job so far.

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

First, I don’t believe Paul is a member of the Progressive Caucus,

TXUS on April 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I never said Herr Doktor is in Progressive Caucus. I don’t disagree with you on anything, simply pointing out there is a reason for Cantor’s moment.

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

“Do you still beat your Jewish wife?”

Good Solid B-Plus on April 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Well, Ron Paul is retiring, so it should get a little better.

Client Number Nine on April 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Both sides have anti-Semitism. Remember True King on our side?

But it’s much worse on the left.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Look, I am not Jewish, and have no idea why a majority of them vote progressive/Democrat, never have understood it given the devastation they have suffered at the hands of socialists — from Trotsky to Stalin to Hitler, not to mention Obama’s dissing Israel and willingness to support everyone in the Middle East who wants to wipe the Jewish homeland from the face of the earth — but there is no question that they and Israel are disdained by the left and the members of the House Progressive Caucus.

My point was, and is, that anti-Semitism is alive and well in the House among this group, including the White House, too.

TXUS on April 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I agree with Brennan. I think he’s just saying “I answered your question. It isn’t an interesting topic for me, or an important one to talk about. Let’s move on.”

Wouldn’t read any more than that into it.

zensunni on April 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

TXUS on April 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Like I said, I do not disagree with you. I just pointed out that liberal Jews in Congress still don’t understand they are being used against themselves. Or, if they do understand this, then its much worse than we think.

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Goodness gracious. Really? Narrative shaping up, Dems losing hold of Jewish support?

Bmore on April 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Oy meet vey.

profitsbeard on April 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I’m not a big fan of Eric Cantor.

Punchenko on April 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I would like to see Cantor up against a good primary challenger.

Punchenko on April 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Whatever.

Anybody asked OWS or progressive leaders about their members tirades against “Zionists”?

obladioblada on April 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Mike Allen is a weasel…

d1carter on April 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I might disagree that the liberal Jews in Congress don’t understand they’re being used, they just don’t care. Sadly, and I’ve heard it said before, that liberals are liberals first, all else that they are is immaterial to them. That may explain it all.

TXUS on April 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Talk about your world’s stupidest questions.

How long do these “Politico” clowns expect to stay in business. I’m trying to figure out, are they this stupid, or do they actually BELIEVE in the political nonsense they spew?

minnesoter on April 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM

If the interviewer was smart enough, he would have understood that he got his answer. Mr. Cantor states all across America we haven’t always got it right. Who represents America? I would say Congress.

DDay on April 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Cantor is a Progressive I’m not sure………..oh wait…..

……Cantor’s not a MARXISTCRAT Progressive.

Cantor needs to get back on the Progressive Plantation. He’s a threat to the lock the MarxistCrats have on the Jewish voting block (like they have to shut down Allen West for the Black votes, Palin for the Female vote, Miguel Estrada for the Hispanic voting bloc).

Lovely politicans.

PappyD61 on April 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

When you understand that anti-Zionism is antisemitism, you understand that there is a *ton* of antisemitism in Congress. The vast majority of which is on the Blue side of the aisle.

solatic on April 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

The Tea Party needs to go after boehner, mcconnell and thier lieutenants. Doesn’t matter if Romney wins if those guys are still in control, they will slide right back into thier big government republican ways. Even if these guys are still in office the base needs to raise hell and get all new leadership in congress or we are screwed. Who cares about seniority and experience, I’d like to see some intelligence and integrity.

peacenprosperity on April 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM

It was a trap question and Cantor should have demanded the same question be asked of Democrats. I am sure he has run into anti-semitism on both sides of the aisle, but his shrug at the end was “shut up and move on, I answered the question” and nothing more.

Daemonocracy on April 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

It seems pretty obvious that Cantor was implying that there were some antisemitism in the Republican caucus that he has had to deal with. Not surprising when you are dealing with 80 year-old conservatives from rural America. I doubt this is an issue with the younger members of Congress. Good for him for helping to defeat GOP rep. Don Manzullo for saying such despicable comments. Those type of religious bigots need to be run out of Congress.

ZippyZ on April 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Sounded to me like Cantor was avoiding a loaded question.
MadisonConservative on April 19, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Here is how he could’ve answered it and got most of America cheering (unless politico destroyed the tape,

“What? Are you kidding me? That’s a serious question? C’monMike, we all know you are a tool of the democrat party but that’s got to be just about the stupidest question I’ve ever heard. Now do you want to ask serious questions about how we are going to get this country back on track or are you going to keep wasting my time, and the American peoples time, with such stupidity? Real questions or more propaganda? What’s it gonna be, dimwit?”

peacenprosperity on April 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

i would say that whatever anti-semitism exists in the GOP, mostly comes from the paleo-con wing, ie Pat Buchannan and Ron Paul, the worrying aspect is, though Buchannan is a spent ideologue, Paul is ushering in a lot of young people who are being introduced to conservatism for the first time, and Pauls brand of “conservatism” is built on a foundation of anti-semitism, you can’t go more than 2 or 3 comments in a ron paul post on any website without his acolytes screeching about neo-con bankers and parasitic zionists, it’s their catnip, hopefully they’ll mature out of his deranged beliefs.

However from the left its a core belief, it’s been a mainstay of European leftism and it’s become more pronounced in America as of late

golembythehudson on April 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Those idiots voted for barry in the last election and will either be too stoned, too bitter or too lazy to vote this time.

peacenprosperity on April 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM

If I was Eric Cantor I would has said, I am more worried about antisemitism down in Sanford, Florida.

Dr Evil on April 19, 2012 at 10:08 PM

But do Jews eat dogs? That’s the real question. ;-)

Scotsman on April 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

only if it’s kosher :-)…

jimver on April 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM

peacenprosperity on April 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM

one worry of mine is Rand Paul, he is very articulate in his brand of conservatism and there is a lot i agree with, however, he was indoctrinated from birth by his father, if you think some of the paulbots are bad, how can being raised by the man affect someone? i’ve yet to see any daylight between him and his fathers ideas, even the loony ones, he just seems to avoid answering any questions about them, like when he was asked about his fathers comments about Israel being a concentration camp. Rand receives a lot of Tea Party support and i’m concerned that if he does indeed hold the same views, he’ll be more “sophisticated” in his dispersal of them, i.e he’ll bring them out more slowly and cautiously. Something to watch for in the future i guess

golembythehudson on April 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Who recently lit all the candles on the Hanukkiyah at the same time….
While eating dog…..?

Electrongod on April 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Hey, how else to you cook dog meat?

riddick on April 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

….ok…that was funny!

KOOLAID2 on April 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

OT but related

Shy Guy on April 19, 2012 at 11:23 PM

As a Rabbi, my take is he said he didn’t want to discuss it and shrugged to show he wouldn’t discuss it further. There could be a few bad apples in the GOP, but it certainly isn’t pervasive, and Dems aren’t immune to having bad apples either.

TheRabbi on April 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

golembythehudson on April 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Not a bleedin’ chance, golem. Rand has been careful not to go against his daddy’s beliefs – so he doesn’t disown him to the fanbase – but it’s quite clear that he will NOT go down the same path. He’s gotten a first-hand education at what opposing the permawar machine AND the welfare-for-votes scam will do to a person’s political career. Namely, leave it high and dry and alienated by every dimbulb with a microphone.

If Rand ever gets a chance to run for POTUS, when the issue of Israel comes up he’ll wave the flag, say the right words, and maintain the status quo if he wins. Bank on it.

MelonCollie on April 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM

If there were anti-semitism in the congress, we know for sure it’d be coming from the democrat Left side of the aisle. DD

Darvin Dowdy on April 20, 2012 at 7:03 AM

It was strange to hear a Jewish guy talk with a ever-so-slight drawl.

He’s not just talking to Jews here – the audience includes Billy Bob from Kentucky (via YouTube) who might get the wrong impression.

That’s why, what I took from the exchange was that he did see some anti-Semitism in the HoR, but doesn’t want to call it out because he’ll have a hard time dealing with the fallout and potential demagoguery, not to mention creating a controversy or “public debate in America”.

If people are going ape-sh1t for a whole week now over something as silly as Obama eating Chow Chow, imagine what kind of fodder a statement like “house majority leader says house is anti-Semetic” would become…

AlexB on April 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I like Eric Cantor. I wish he was the Speaker. Or the Majority leader of the Senate. Or V.P.

Fleuries on April 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Democrats are really going to open THAT can of worms? Really? Some enterprising researcher at the RNC had best be putting together a video of Democrat out-right, absolute anti-Semitism, including that which proceedeth from the mouths of Obama and his coherts.

Are you kidding me?

Portia46 on April 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Same kind of question as asking someone if they’ve stopped beating their wives. He didn’t have the nerve to say it comes from the left side of the aisle and the WH. That would have changed the subject real quick.

Kissmygrits on April 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM

What answer was Allen expecting??

“Yes, Allen, the GOP in Congress are a bunch of anti-semites. They hate Jews with an unmitigated passion. They actually sit around when not voting on something and discuss how much they all hate Jews. It’s the major topic of conversation most days over cigars and brandy, but only after we have discussed how ‘The Man’ can keep the black man down, how to put women back in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant, and how we can make the rich richer and the poor poorer.”

Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

gravityman on April 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM

MelonCollie on April 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM

My thoughts here as well. As much as I hate Herr Doktor and what he stands for I can only thank him for giving us Rand. To answer a question, can a son be that different from his father, I think the answer is Yes. After living in GULAG (aka CA) for more than 20 years I have seen on more than one occasion where entire families are split into camps, mostly liberal of course, but some members having conservative beliefs. Its strange to see, but does happen. One of my nephews in NY, once a Young Republican of good standing, married a (Jewish) woman who grew up in FL (I know that you know where this is headed). He is not a rabid liberal just yet, but working for one of the bigger law firms in NY and now married to a liberal has changed his beliefs greatly. So, yes, works both ways.

riddick on April 20, 2012 at 12:28 PM

When asked if there was anti-semitism in congress, the Senator responded “”no”".” Now lets look at how he said “no”; the time between the end of the question and the response; the tone of the Senator when saying “no”; the way his eyes squenched at the question;… you know, all those things that show what he ”’really!!!”’ said. lol

dahni on April 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM

let me see if I get this: Eric Cantor asked is GOP AntiSemitic? answer emphatic “No” and “will not comment” aka talk about it to play this gotcha game, asked again with no reply is proof?? HOW STUPID DO THE Socialist believe Americans have become? very

mathewsjw on April 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM