A Freudian slip for Rubio? Update: Rubio suggests Portman

posted at 1:01 pm on April 19, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

His lips say, “No, no, no,” but does Marco Rubio’s subconscious say “Yes, yes, yes“?  National Journal reports that Rubio stumbled over a denial today, calling it a “Freudian slip”:

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio said Wednesday that “I don’t want to be the vice president right now, or maybe ever. I really want to do a good job in the Senate.” He said he’d say no even if presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney asked him.

But in an interview at an event kicking off the University of Phoenix/National Journal Next America project, Rubio also demonstrated that the vice presidency is on his mind.

“If in four to five years, if I do a good job as vice president—I’m sorry, as senator—I’ll have the chance to do all sorts of things,” he said.

I’m fairly certain this is not a Freudian slip, because I don’t think Rubio wants the job at all. Being a VP after just a year or so in the Senate and attending funerals for the next eight years isn’t a great career path for Rubio.  He has plenty of natural talent; what he needs now is practical experience and a track record of success.  He’s correct that a solid term in the Senate with some legislative accomplishments, which might come more easily if the GOP wins the Senate and the White House in November, would position Rubio for big things in a few years.  He could run for Governor, and after a term in that office, be ready to run for President in 2020.

Nor, given Mitt Romney’s recent statement on his prerequisites, do I think Romney would offer Rubio the job:

I can tell you that the one quality that comes to mind immediately is that you want someone who, without question, could lead the country as president if that were necessary. I think all of the political considerations pale in comparison with the consideration of who has the capacity to lead America at a critical time. And I hope if I’m the president that eventuality would never occur. But that has to be the key consideration.

As a business executive, it seems doubtful that Romney would consider a single year in the US Senate as sufficient preparation for that role.  He’d be looking for someone with a track record of executive competence and accomplishment.  In my column for The Fiscal Times, I predict that Romney will add another current or former governor to the ticket, and run down the options:

That makes governors, past and present, the strongest possibilities for a running-mate choice. Fortunately, that leaves plenty of options for Romney for either a regional/key state approach or ideological balancing.  The key states in question this election cycle would be Florida, Ohio, and Virginia, all of which the GOP needs to win back from Democrats in order to beat Obama.  The only other potential candidate for the job in Florida besides Rubio would be Jeb Bush, who passed on running for the top job, and whose last name might be a gift to Barack Obama in the election.

Ohio has two potential candidates, Governor John Kasich and Senator Rob Portman.  Kasich, however, has struggled to maintain standing in the state after his union reform efforts flopped.  Portman has had a diverse career in Congress and in the executive branch under Bush, and is popular with the fiscal conservatives in the Republican base, but might not have enough executive experience to meet Romney’s Day One credentials.

The best key-state candidate would probably be Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell, whose two-plus years as the top executive in the state comes after three years as Attorney General and another four years in the state legislature.  McDonnell got significant grassroots backing in late 2009 as Virginia and New Jersey gubernatorial elections gave the Tea Party their first opportunity to go after Obama.  McDonnell has a better chance of giving Romney a boost in Virginia than Kasich does in Ohio, and McDonnell gives Romney a regional boost as a Southern governor.

Be sure to read it all; I cover the regional-balance candidates.  The strongest possibilities, in my opinion, would be McDonnell, Bobby Jindal, and Mitch Daniels, but the good news is that Romney has plenty of options.  We will have several months in which to speculate, but I’d expect Romney’s eventual choice to be very well seasoned as an executive and as a political figure.

Update: Marco Rubio again denied any interest in the job in an interview with ABC News, and this time suggested another candidate:

Rubio even went as far as recommending another U.S. senator for Romney to consider in his VP vetting: Ohio Sen. Rob Portman.

“The bigger point is we’ve got a lot of really talented people out there that Mitt Romney can get to pick from,” Rubio said. “And I think a lot, Senator Rob Portman would be a phenomenal choice for vice president. That’s where I would encourage him to look because I’m enjoying my service in the Senate.”

I mention Portman in my column, who might be a good way for Romney to get a better grip on Ohio, but whose executive experience is limited to trade and OMB positions.

Update II: Fora TV has the video of the entire event here:

Greg Hengler has the slip itself here:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

As I stated before, given what I can figure/recall from prior elections, the veep nominee is probably not going to be someone we are typically thinking should be the nominee or is even on some “short list”.

Cast that net into deeper waters. There will probably be our veep nominee. Known and yet unknown at the same time… hey, maybe it’ll be Rummy! ;)

Logus on April 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I predict that Romney will add another current or former governor to the ticket

Please God, NOT Christie.

Shay on April 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Where’s the upside for Jindal, Ed? Sure, he’s a possibility, but a strong one? I don’t see Romney making an offer without knowing in advance it would be accepted. Where are the strong indications Jindal would accept, if asked?

Christien on April 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Jindal was my first choice for the top spot before anyone officially announced. I’d love to see him on the ticket.

Plus, imagine the comedy gold of a VP debate between Jindal and Joe “shouldn’t you be working at the 7/11″ Biden.

FuzzyLogic on April 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Ed’s right. When you go name by name, McDonnell checks a-lot of the right boxes.

aquaviva on April 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Can you imagine the potential field in 2016 or 2020?

* Christie
* Walker
* Rubio
* West
* Rand Paul
* Romney’s Veep (in 2020)

Who else?

aunursa on April 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM

How about Cheney?

Liz.

fogw on April 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Take a look at the silhouettes at the top of the linked article. Does the second from the left look familiar? Is there something you’re not telling us, Ed?

sadarj on April 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM

As someone who lives in LA & has actually voted for Jindal (first for US Rep. and for governor — twice — although this last election he was basically unopposed) I say this with all due respect and knowing everyone here is crazy about Jindal, but I swear every time the man talks it is like a giant sleeping pill for me. Not a knock against his policies or job as governor (like I wrote, I voted for him) but shouldn’t the VP choice be a little more dynamic to make up for Romney’s perceived “squareness?” Maybe I’m wrong & Jindal would bring excitement to the ticket, but I just don’t see it. Also, how is a LA governor going to help in the swing-states?

Dark Star on April 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM

FuzzyLogic on April 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I wonder if it’d be better if Jindal would bring a cup of 7/11 coffee and a Slurpee to the debate and hand it to Biden. The Slurpee of course harkening back to Obama’s comment that Republicans are standing on the side of the road sipping Slurpees as he drove his car analogy off a cliff.

Logus on April 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM

FWIW (Not much at this point), here’s Intrade.

Rubio 19
Portman 17
Christie 10
McDonnell 7
Ryan 5
Daniels 5
Martinez 3

aquaviva on April 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Mitch Daniels? Still flirting with that? Someone hasn’t been paying attention to what’s been going on in Indiana that past few months. Accounting is supposed to be “his thing”. Lately, not so much. Finding an extra +300M here, an extra +200M there. While that may be nice, it doesn’t lead to financial confidence in your leadership.

Carnac on April 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Paul Ryan. The best choice by far.

Doughboy on April 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Can you imagine the potential field in 2016 or 2020?

* Christie
* Walker
* Rubio
* West
* Rand Paul
* Romney’s Veep (in 2020)

Who else?

aunursa on April 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Ryan, Jindal, Pence, Haley, Martinez are all strong possibilities as well.

GOPRanknFile on April 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Yep, that’s what we need right now another well seasoned politician. /sarc

Allen West for VP!

Conservative_Hippie on April 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Personally, I believe BHO is not a “natural-born citizen” because his father, BHO Sr., was never a U.S. citizen. Therefore he is NOT eligible to be president. That means Rubio is not a natural-born citizen either, as his parents did not become citizens until he was about 4 years old. In order (for me) to stick with my belief that the current Occupant is not eligible, I have to hold the same criterion for Rubio, even though I think he would at some point be a terrific presidential candidate. Until the “natural born” part of the Constitution is clarified, either by Congress or by another case brought to the SCOTUS, I just can’t go there. As far as I know, there’s been only one case that defined “natural-born” and that was Minor v Happersett in 1875. I know Mark Levin has said definitively that Rubio is eligible, but I honestly don’t know the basis for that declaration.

LindaDinNev on April 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Yuck and Ick!

Romney/Rubio is still a NO SALE for this conservative.

Perry/West 2012

America needs you both!</em>

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

No Freudian slip, just the media and the blogosphere making him and his staff answer a question over and over again until he slips up.

Bluray on April 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I’m not a business executive but that’s my mark against Rubio. He just doesn’t have the experience which makes his very nomination appear to be pandering for votes. He is a rising star in the party, his time will come but not in 2012. Obama is a cautionary tale about allowing very junior Senator take an even higher office.

Happy Nomad on April 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Unfortunately, the VP won’t matter if the top of the ticket remains Mittens.

Perry/West 2012

America needs you both now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I would like Jindal please!
(I would like Palin…but that won’t be good…or happen)

KOOLAID2 on April 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM

How about Romney/Lieberman?

{ducking for cover}

Uncledave on April 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Please God, NOT ChristieROMNEY.

Shay on April 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Corrected!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM

sadarj on April 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM

There you have it! Ed Morrissey is one of the secret veep candidates for Team Romney!

Actually I think that’s Herman Cain. The silhouettes are of all the other Republican Presidential candidates.

Logus on April 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I Second Jindal. He touches all the bases.

And he would tell that “Obama orders a Lassi” joke better than anyone.

Uncledave on April 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Christien on April 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM

There is no potential Veep that has indicated that he/she would accept if asked, except Bob McDonnell. Elected officials who are seen as possibilities usually don’t indicate their willingness to accept because they gain nothing from doing so, but potentially lose a lot. Chances are if they do reject, it would be kept behind closed doors (like when Jindal asked McCain to not even vet him because he wasn’t interested).

The upside? He has the most impressive resume in politics, he is loved by both the establishment and the base, he’s brilliant so he would have independent appeal, he is a perfect balance to Romney in terms of geographical balance, he’s likable, and very competent.

GOPRanknFile on April 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

LindaDinNev on April 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Do us a favor. Stop spending so much time on WorldNetDaily. Thanks.

GOPRanknFile on April 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Yup.

Nuff said. I hope Rubio is the Veep.

wildcat72 on April 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Rubio as VP completely cuts the legs out from under the patriots who are trying to prove that Barack Hussein Obama is a fraud and a criminal.

Mr. Grump on April 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Sorry, I can’t get behind a McDonnell VP pick.

That enlarged-forehead-cranial-thingy he’s got going on creeps me out.

Common Sense Floridian on April 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Anyone except Christie or Bush. Yuck!

Rose on April 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Paul Ryan. I liked the chemistry I saw in Wisconsin.

JPeterman on April 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Yeah, that too.

Shay on April 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Sycophantic Pandering! Sick!

A poll shows Rubio makes it worse for the Romney ticket in FLORIDA! Worse among Hispanics! What is the point of this nomination? None.

This man has less experience that Obama had, but at least they could say O was vetted somewhat by the years of his tough campaign for president. Rubio as nominee would be an unmitigated disaster, as Hispanics would not applaud it, but see it as what it would be: a bald-faced cowardly pander! Yes, also, most conservatives would be upset.

Get off the idea of nominating that too inexperienced Hispanic, which will only turn us into a laughing stock among Hispanics. Nuts.

anotherJoe on April 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Dark Star on April 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Can a VP only give excitement to a ticket because of their speeches on the trail? Jindal has a record and a personal story I think most Republicans and a lot of swing voters would like. A VP nominee also represents the party. Being a good represenative is more than just giving rousing speeches.

Bluray on April 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Romney/Snowe 2012!!!

Maybe that is why she is “retiring”.

Dan Pet on April 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Update: Rubio suggests Portman

Oh great. Thx, Senator!

Valkyriepundit on April 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Carnac on April 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I second that…Daniels would be a good choice…

jimver on April 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Paul Ryan. The best choice by far.

Doughboy on April 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I agree. Ryan is smart, innovative, imaginative and articulate. However, there are some who would consider his House experience as inadequate preparation to be next in line for the presidency.

Slainte on April 19, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Ryan’s good. How about Perry or Palin?

Sekhmet on April 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Daniels would have been a good pick, but the fact is the issues with his wife would be brought up again, and this is an election where the Dems will throw out any and all distractions out there. Let’s not give them more with which to work.

GOPRanknFile on April 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Slainte on April 19, 2012 at 1:33 PM

agreed…Romney should use Ryan as a surrogate and attack dog, he’s great at it…VP, not so much, not yet anyways…

jimver on April 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

sadarj on April 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Logus on April 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Holy cow, that does look a little like me. If nominated, I will not run, etc etc etc.

However, it’s kind of cool to be mistaken for Herman Cain. This might be the comment of the day.

Ed Morrissey on April 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Good points. I didn’t articulate it well, but I meant what you explained about interest being indicated behind-the-scenes. I just see too much downside for Jindal, who has time on his side, accepting an offer. I think his career could take a big hit if Romney/Jindal lost to Obama/Biden. Even the thought of Jindal losing to unrepentant, anti-Indian bigot Biden is too much.

His time will come, but it’s not now, IMO.

Christien on April 19, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Unfortunately, the VP won’t matter if the top of the ticket remains Mittens Obama.

FIFY. Sorry, but short of a true peanut bar Fringe candidate (Paul, etc) I am casting vote against Obama by voting for Romney.

Perry/West 2012

America needs you both now!

Pragmatic on April 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Well, Perry had his shot (so to speak) and it didn’t go well, so he’s going to have to come back next go round.

West, as strong a candidate as he is (because the press seem to really be irked by him) could be VP, but he has the charisma to really take the top slot.

2012 isn’t his year, but 2016 is definitely his to lose.

BlaxPac on April 19, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Jin freakin’ dal

It’s like Dr Pepper…easy peazy

DHChron on April 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM

He has the most impressive resume in politics.

GOPRanknFile on April 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Exactly. Here you have a kid from immigrant parents born in the deep south, integrates into US culture enthusiastically, earns his spot into Brown, becomes a Evangelical while at Brown, gets admitted to Harvard and Yale Medical but goes to Oxford, becomes Catholic, works in DC on Medicare and SS calling for the type of reforms Paul Ryan is talking about today, gets appointed to managed Louisiana’s hospital system in his 20′s, spends 4 years as a Congressman, gets elected Governor and implements ethics, tax, and education reform to a state historically known for government corruption.

Instead we are arguing about who should be the VP nominee based on who gives the best speeches?

Bluray on April 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Paul Ryan. I liked the chemistry I saw in Wisconsin.

JPeterman on April 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I like Jindal, but there is something to be said there and it makes Ryan a clear top choice as well. Only other possibility that is sure to work as well with Romney personally is Jim Talent, and he’s a dark horse pick that doesn’t bring much buzz to the process.

McDonnell of course the only one we know definitely would want the position. If anything he’s been lobbying for it too hard. Lot of good points about him though.

Portman meanwhile is getting the media vetting, but I think the reaction is somewhere in the vicinity of meh. Personally I’d like to keep him where he is. We traded a RINO in for a basic establishment conservative there. Maybe Mandel can help shift him further to the right.

Gingotts on April 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Picture Of The Day: “How Dare You Accuse Us Of Being Anti-Semitic!!!” (OWS)

Resist We Much on April 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Exactly. Here you have a kid from immigrant parents born in the deep south, integrates into US culture enthusiastically, earns his spot into Brown, becomes a Evangelical while at Brown, gets admitted to Harvard Medical and Yale Medical Law but goes to Oxford, becomes Catholic, works in DC on Medicare and SS calling for the type of reforms Paul Ryan is talking about today, gets appointed to managed Louisiana’s hospital system in his 20′s, spends 4 years as a Congressman, gets elected Governor and implements ethics, tax, and education reform to a state historically known for government corruption.

Bluray on April 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Besides that one mistake, excellent points!

GOPRanknFile on April 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM

And he would tell that “Obama orders a Lassi” joke better than anyone.

Uncledave on April 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

No, he wouldn’t. Lassi isn’t pronounced like Lassie. It’s pronounced “luh-see.”

Christien on April 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Jindal or Ryan. Jindal reminds everyone of O’s incompetence regarding BP and helps with the healthcare debate and Ryan reminds everybody of O’s incompetence on the budget and could bring Wisconsin.

cpaulus on April 19, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Ed Morrissey on April 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

And you just made my day! I think I’ll go wet myself now…

What can I say… I’m easy to please!

Logus on April 19, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I really hope it is not Portman. It doesn’t have to be a media star, but it should be someone who can either deliver the policy chops (Ryan) or the votes (McDonnell).

aquaviva on April 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Yes he does. That’s why I still think he’s the most likely choice.

Can you imagine the potential field in 2016 or 2020?

* Christie
* Walker
* Rubio
* West
* Rand Paul
* Romney’s Veep (in 2020)

Who else?

aunursa on April 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Paul Ryan and Mike Pence. Of that list, Pence would be my choice in 2016 if he ran. Walker would be number two, Rand Paul number three.

Doomberg on April 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM

If we have two Anglo males on the ticket it will not look good. I was hoping for Rubio but he seriously doesn’t sound interested. Oh well.

terryannonline on April 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Bluray on April 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Don’t forget strong leadership during multiple, massive natural disasters.

Christien on April 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Besides that one mistake, excellent points!

GOPRanknFile on April 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Doh! Thanks for the correction.

Bluray on April 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Bluray on April 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I’m not arguing. I’m asking. And I’m asking as someone who has actually voted for Jindal, supports him, lives in the state he governs, etc. not as some far away “in love” with the idea of him person. And it isn’t just about “giving speeches” (although that shouldn’t be taken lightly as the POTUS we have now was elected almost solely on those grounds). It is also the dynamics between the 2 candidates (how the “jell” together) and geography. LA & the Deep South is going red regardless — the Obama camp’s proposed electorial map scenarios all concede that — they are pinning their hopes on places like VA, Ohio, PA — is a LA governor going to help in those states? Like I said initially, I could be completely wrong. But these are certainly legitimate questions that are foolish to dismiss as merely “who gives the best speeches.”

Dark Star on April 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM

needs now is practical experience and a track record of success. He’s correct that a solid term in the Senate with some legislative accomplishments, which might come more easily if the GOP wins the Senate and the White House in November, would position Rubio for big things in a few years. He could run for Governor, and after a term in that office, be ready to run for President in 2020.

Ed: Please get something straight. It is very unfortunate that politics has become a career occupation in the USA. The system was never designed for that. Stop trying to keep it that way. This is the main number one thing we need to get corrected.
Paul

paulsur on April 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM

C’mon, Ed! Accept it if offered!

Can you imagine the site traffic? Plus have the side benefit of making Lizards & HuffPost kiddies explode with rage???

Winner!

Ed Morrissey on April 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

LMAO.

Ed Morrissey…My Brother from Another Mother…really!

BlaxPac on April 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM

terryannonline on April 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Why should we get caught up in the identity politics of the left?

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM

No Rubio, please. If there was a single thing that Kamrad Obamov did right throughout his vicious Marxist career, it’s not jumping on SOPA bandwagon. There is no surer way to push the young generation of voters away than picking its daddy for VP.

Archivarix on April 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Most brilliant politician, eh? Future of the GOP, huh? And this genius ,after shilling for SOPA, oh and for illegal amnesty, is now suggesting a no-name for the VP.

Most people say ‘who’ when you mention his name. I guess the people Rubio are counting on in his future run as prez would say ¿Quien?

avgjo on April 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Dark Star on April 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Besides his SOTU rebuttal, I’ve actually been impressed with his ability to give a speech. His speech at the Oil Spill rally was fiery and passionate. His speech at the NRA Annual Meeting, from a few days back, was brilliant.

GOPRanknFile on April 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Dark Star on April 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I wasn’t referring to you, so I apologize for my comment coming across as a generalization. The thing that bothers me is some folks preoccupation with liking certain candidates because of their speaking ability, and not necessarily appreciating the other skills in politics. I have the same problem with the folks that want Allen West as VP. The people that want him as VP want him largely based on campaign speeches he has given. I think he we need as VP someone who is a balancing element to Romney’s centrism while being acceptable to Republicans whether as part of the Tea Party or the Party Leadership.

I could be wrong about Jindal as well, on paper it just seems like a slam dunk choice though.

Bluray on April 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Wno is this Portman ?
Looked him up – looks like he has been in govt for 20 yrs.
And he has little name rec ?

He should be more of a known quantity if he was a rising star and not just a dutiful bureaucrat. Im sure he is a nice guy as well though.

But lets leave him in the Senate where he is needed. Ditto for Rubio. THE SENATE MUST GO TO AN R MAJORITY.

FlaMurph on April 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Wno is this Portman ?
Looked him up – looks like he has been in govt for 20 yrs.
And he has little name rec ?

FlaMurph on April 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM

THIS!!!!

I live in Ohio and we just got Portman in 20102 to replace RINO Voinovich and this year we are trying to flip the other seat from far-lefty Sherrod Brown to young up-and-comer Josh Mandel. Granted, Kasich would get to name Portman’s replacement, but still.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Wno is this Portman ?
Looked him up – looks like he has been in govt for 20 yrs.
And he has little name rec ?

FlaMurph on April 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM

THIS!!!!

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Whoa!! Dup comment city.

20102=2010.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

*BARF*

My view of Rubio keeps declining. My view of Portman is already at rock bottom.

If Romney is dumb enough to chose Portman, he deserves to lose.

Norwegian on April 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Then you’re an idiot.

Thanks for voting or the right, however. I appreciate it.

P.S. Joseph Farah is a nut and World Nut Daily is full of cranks. I know. I started my serious interest in politics reading their site. But I weened myself off of the crazy. Go thou and do likewise.

Mitchell Heisman on April 19, 2012 at 2:16 PM

rubio and jindal are NOT natural born citizens and do NOT qualify, how many times does it need to be said?? The rino Bushes want rubio or portman and other rino’s want christie. The pick should be Sarah Palin, Allen West, Rick Santorum, Rick Perry. Having a rino ticket is a loser, just check out obamneys wins vs the split vote conservatives. Obamney wins the nomination for losing.

Mr. Sun on April 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Mitchell Heisman on April 19, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I respectfully disagree. Not all of WND’s authors whose articles they post are cranks. There are some genuine, good and sound people there… you just have to dig.

I’m friends with a guy who has an ocassional article that gets posted to WND. You’d disagree with him out of hand because of his views, but he’s no nutter.

And no, I’m not saying who he is… and no, it’s not me either.

Logus on April 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Romney could let an MD VP deal with fixing healthcare like Tom Coburn, Rand Paul, or John Barasso. These Senators have been vocal about ObamaCare and have strong ideas on fixing it. It would show Romney is committed to revamping healtcare by first doing away with ObamaCare.

KenInIL on April 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Portman? Please no. PLEASE choose someone that can rally the base! ALLEN WEST!!!!!!! Give us some excitement!

Oink on April 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Bluray on April 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM

And you’ve pointed out some good points about Jindal’s potential national appeal that I had overlooked — which can easily happen when you “live” with the guy & get used to him as a somewhat everyday presence, which is the main reason I was asking in the first place.

Dark Star on April 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Why don’t you just break off and form your own party called “The Lower IQ People on the Right” party?

Mitchell Heisman on April 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

John Thune. Last six presidents did not have a governor, or ex-governor as VP. They all came from the belt-way. And four out of the last six presidents were governors, or ex-governors. Last governor that was a VP was Agnew. A president that was/is a governor wants a VP that has legislative experience in Washington more than executive experience at the state level.

Rapskins on April 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I was generalizing. Larry Elder if he still writes there was great and there were a few others. But Farah is a nut. I mostly meant him. And he’s hardly alone there.

Mitchell Heisman on April 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Dark Star on April 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Good point. I often have to remember to look up the info of my the folks in my own state from time to time. I’m obviously biased towards Jindal, but I would be okay with other candidates.

Bluray on April 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Mr. Sun on April 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Apparently one more time for the morons like you: when you are born within the borders of the United States of America — as both Rubio & Jindal were — you are a natural born citizen regardless of the nationality/citizenship/citizenship status of your parents. Point.Blank.Period. The end.

You morons keep refusing to accept the difference between being born within the borders of the United States and being born abroad (which is the only time the citizenship of your parents matter to the question of whether you are a “natural born citizen”).

Go back to arguing about the moon landing hoax & spare us the lectures on your ignorance of the laws of the United States, please. Thanks in advance.

Dark Star on April 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Rapskins on April 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM

First, Nelson Rockefeller was Ford’s VP nad he was ex-Gov of New York.

Second, Thune is a more boring pick than Portman.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Agree. It’s going to be McDonell (i think)

bluealice on April 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

All I ask for is:

-No Seantors/Representatives
-No EastCoast RINOs
-Noone named “Bush”; or that worked in the Bush administration

Shouldn’t be too hard.

Norwegian on April 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Mr. Sun on April 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Well, to answer your question, you have two options, I suppose.

First option: you can stop saying it because you haven’t convinced even one person.

Second option: you can continue to say it hoping to convince at least one person.

Have fun mulling over both options!

GOPRanknFile on April 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM

You pretty much flamed Romney until it became inevitable he would be the nominee. Now you purport to know the methods by which he will consider a VP?

Rubio may not want it. But if asked, he will accept it. Romney makes decisions based on the best person for the job. How anyone believes at this point a more appropriate and capable person exists is beyond me.

Marcus Traianus on April 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Norwegian on April 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

What if she worked/started in the Reagan administration- then Bush administrations ?

FlaMurph on April 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM

aunursa on April 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM

You are missing Sarah Palin! Palin Runs in 2016. You can see wanted to run in 2012. She will absolutely. More likely than Rubio and Rand Paul they have Senate Seats to Defend in 2016. You must be a Palin hater.

CoolChange80 on April 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM

aunursa on April 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Putz, Scott Walker has to win 2 elections to get to 2016. Chris Christie has to be Corey Booker. Sarah Palin only has to relevant and a National Figure and Raise Money. She Runs.

CoolChange80 on April 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Mitt Romney/ Natalie Portman 2012 is no ticket. That is a Bushie’s Dream. Palin needs to start the Revolution Now.

CoolChange80 on April 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

aunursa on April 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Hey Assholes, No mention of Palin. Guarantee she runs. If Romney falls flat it will be a Golden Opportunity for Palin to hang it on the Loser Establishment and you assholes know it.

CoolChange80 on April 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Mitchell Heisman on April 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM

True on all counts.

I sometimes wonder why my friend posts there, but I think it’s because his ideas are still considered fringe within some circles… that and WND has a publishing arm which he is using. Must be helping him. He’s growing in name recognition. He does his best to keep the nutters responses in order with gentle rebukes.

Logus on April 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM