Poll: Of select potential veeps, Condoleezza Rice has highest favorability rating among Republicans

posted at 6:01 pm on April 18, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Of certain select potential vice presidential running mates for Mitt Romney, Condoleezza Rice is by far the most popular among Republicans and it’s not even close, according to a CNN/ORC poll. Rice boasts an approval rating of 80 percent, leading Rick Santorum, whose favorability stands at 65 percent, by 15 points. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie follows with 55 percent, while Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan are one point apart at 44 percent and 43 percent respectively.

Furthermore, Rice pulled a plurality of support — or 26 percent — in answer to the explicit question, “Of the people I just mentioned, which one would you most like to see Mitt Romney choose as his vice presidential running mate … ?” The rest of the list corresponded with the favorability ratings, as well, with 21 percent saying they hope Romney will choose Santorum, 14 percent Christie, 14 percent Rubio and just 8 percent Ryan.

Among Tea Partiers, though, it’s a slightly different story. While 85 percent of Tea Partiers have a favorable opinion of her, she isn’t the Tea Party pick for VP. A plurality — 22 percent — picked Rubio, another 18 percent selected Christie and 16 percent selected Rice.

The “Results for Republicans Only” are based on a sample of just 473 Republicans and the margin of error is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points. The interviewers also asked Republicans for their opinions about Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell and Ohio Sen. Rob Portman.

Condi’s ticket-balancing credentials are obvious, she would more than hold her own in a debate, she’s been tested in the national spotlight and she has a kind of grace and gravitas that seemingly leave her unfazed by anything. She’s equally comfortable defending controversial foreign policy as she is playing classical piano for the queen. She’s certainly a compelling choice, and I can understand why she polled as well as she did.

Still, though, not even a full week of veepstakes has made me change my mind that Paul Ryan should still be Mitt Romney’s man. A recent column by Michael Barone articulates perfectly why he’s the unpredictable predictable (or the predictable unpredictable) choice:

Anyway, ticket-balancing is not the only successful approach, as Bill Clinton understood. When he clinched the Democratic nomination in 1992 as a Southern moderate, it was widely assumed he would pick a Northern liberal, as Jimmy Carter had.

Instead he chose a fellow Southern Baptist of his own generation with a reputation for moderation and congressional experience in national security issues, Al Gore. They were from adjoining Southern states and when the ticket was announced they met on the bridge between West Memphis, Arkansas, and Memphis, Tennessee.

This unbalanced ticket won two elections, carrying six of 14 Southern states in both 1992 and 1996. Democratic nominees from Massachusetts, both with Southern running mates, carried none in 1988 and 2004.

A similar approach for Mitt Romney would be what opponents might call a double-vanilla ticket, with another white male as vice presidential nominee.

Four possibilities come to mind. One is Paul Ryan, the House Budget Committee chairman who endorsed Romney and campaigned with him all over Wisconsin. Romney has praised Ryan’s budget proposals and has endorsed the fundamentals of Ryan’s Medicare plan.

If Romney were to select Ryan, it would embolden Republicans and stun Democrats, who have done their best to suggest that Ryan — and, indeed, his entire budget — will be a liability in the general election. In fact, it’s Democrats’ lack of a plan to ensure the solvency of Medicare — Democrats’ desire to let Medicare go bust — that’s a liability if Republicans only have the temerity and tenacity to point that out relentlessly.

As always, though, Romney has a very deep bench from which to select a vice president. As long as his VP helps to mobilize the anti-Obama vote — on which Romney will undoubtedly depend for election — he should be fine.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

f you love Dick Cheney, you won’t love Condi.
They were 180 degrees apart on everything.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Cheney?
I’m having an infarction reading that.
I think Condi wins that electability contest pretty easily.

FlaMurph on April 18, 2012 at 6:39 PM

If Romney doesn’t pick a VP who can excite conservatives and independents – he is going to be in big trouble, because he sure as heck can’t do it on his own.

Conservatives, especially, are not enthusiastic about Romney, and a Bush administration left-over, establishment-insider like Rice, would just push (small-(er) government) conservatives even farther away AND would not attract (small-(er) government) independents. Additionally, Romney’s links to the Bush family and the Bush administration(s) are already too strong – Rice would be a terrible choice on so many levels.

Pork-Chop on April 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM

gemini on April 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Your the one approving and promoting identity politics and dem tactics..gee how shocking.

Were you also like the other Mitt supports that used the religious card as well?
The R’s and the D’s grow more similar by the day.

To bad Paul is a loon, I would vote for him.

bazil9 on April 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM

She’s got the creds. And she looks fabulous.

Jabez01 on April 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Van Jones approves of Condi as VP choice of Mitt..?

d1carter on April 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on April 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Yup – 100% with you there.
I made the Perot mistake way back, so I learned to just vote straight R no matter who it is. Party over person – as Mike Rosen says (conservative talk radio in Denver). Whether we like it or not, we have a 2 party system, so you pretty much have to pick a side and stick with it.

dentarthurdent on April 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM

So far, the ones I think are qualified are : Gingrich, Giuliani, Daniels, Santorum (though I think he would be a social drag on the ticket), Perry and Jindal (in no specific order).

I’m sure I’ve missed some qualified folks, but I think I got the main ones.

cane_loader on April 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Gingrich, Santorum, Perry, Giuliani have no chance. Do you really think those guys would be anything but huge drags on the ticket? Maybe not Giuliani, but he’d bring too much complication.

Daniels and Jindal are decent names. They’re on my second tier.

joana on April 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I think she was one of the biggest mistakes of the Bush Administration.

Colon Powell in high heels.

portlandon on April 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I think Condi wins that electability contest pretty easily.

FlaMurph on April 18, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Typical WW did not bring up electability.

she said:f you love Dick Cheney, you won’t love Condi.
They were 180 degrees apart on everything.

Reading comprehension.

bazil9 on April 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Before W became president I heard Condi speak, and my immediate reaction was that I was witnessing a future President of the United States. She is a strong patriot and speaks extremely well for her country and for conservative principals, though leaning more centrist on abortion and immigration. Condi’s eight years in the White House as one of Bush’s closest advisors qualifies her, better than anyone I can think of, to be discretely supportive of Romney, and to step into the role of president should the need arise. I don’t think that this is identity politics at all. Being a black woman from humble beginnings doesn’t hurt, but Condi is a great candidate because she is highly qualified. Her only serious shortcoming politically is that some of Bush’s unpopularity with the center may have rubbed off on her, but with some time in front of the public and out of Bush’s shadow she would be well-respected. And I would love to see her beat the tar out of Hillary in 2016, should Romney lose in 2012.

topdog on April 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Forgot to include Menlo Park, California
Silicon Valley, the land of fruits and nuts. Truly!

Typicalwhitewoman on April 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM

joana on April 18, 2012 at 6:32 PM

You’re calling me crazy- Is PROOF that I’m sane.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM

cane_loader on April 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM

A Prez and VP have to be able to work together. And there’s a lot of work to be done. No way can any ABR pull that off- no matter how badly they need a job.

The Gov thing…maybe…but two white guys ganging up on Trayvon’s symbiotic father is going to be front and center in the coming race card cycle. Independents are easily moved by guilt.

FlaMurph on April 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I’m still thinking about Ted Nugent.
Imagine the debate spectacle with him and Biteme going at it on stage….

dentarthurdent on April 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

topdog on April 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I won’t vote for someone like Condi for president- not now nor ever.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

OMG, Dick Morris’ prophecy comes to life!

victor82 on April 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

OMG, Dick Morris’ prophecy comes to life!

victor82 on April 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Which one? Clue me in please.

dentarthurdent on April 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM

You’re calling me crazy- Is PROOF that I’m sane.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM

lol,Now that is true alt. Wear that badge, baby.

I miss nswindr (sp?) she was a Romey supporter that was pretty cool, articulate, and rational. Haven t seen her in a while.

bazil9 on April 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM

All we need is Meredith and Blue fish. That would complete the thread.

bazil9 on April 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Condi Rice is a foreign policy moron who has helped to get a lot of troops dead with her muslim democracy project.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM

topdog on April 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Yes, she has a measure of gravitas that most are lacking and that’s certainly appealing. Might help if she were married though.

We could do worse. At the very least her presence in that office might go a long way towards healing some of the racial divide that the current administration and it’s lapdog demagogues have fostered.

But she’s not a conservative. But then, neither is Romney .

Cleombrotus on April 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM

joana on April 18, 2012 at 6:32 PM

You’re calling me crazy- Is PROOF that I’m sane.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM~

Of course you are.

Christie is pro-abortion

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 6:12 PM

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie Headlines Pro-Life Rally
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie continued the strong relationship he’s developed with pro-life advocates in the northeastern state by attending and speaking at the Rally for Life at the Statehouse steps today.

New Jersey Right to Life is the sponsor of the event that received more publicity thanks in part to the governor’s appearance.

“I stand with you,” on opposing abortion, the governor told the crowd, and “with each and every one of those precious human lives.”

NJ Governor Christie Halts Funding For Planned Parenthood
By Debbie Cohen , Christian Post Contributor
July 9, 2011|11:52 pm
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has vetoed another attempt to restore funding for Planned Parenthood in his state. Christie rejected the legislation on June 30, citing New Jersey does not have the money within its budget.

The New Jersey Senate ruled in favor to restore $7.5 million in funding for the abortion giant, but Christie knocked the measure down. He vetoed a similar measure last year and two Planned Parenthood clinics shut down soon after.

Of course you are sane.

joana on April 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Umm.

Hostile Gospel on April 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM

umm and ugh.
When I heard that- I thought he was just trying to put his commie curse of the Kavorka on her – and that he would make her stinky to Rs.

And then the evil Ann Coulter, the new femme non grata for the Rs – vehemently said NO to the idea of Condi.
So, take your pick.

FlaMurph on April 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Condi Rice: “We should note that unlike in our Constitutional Convention, the Iraqis have not made a compromise as bad as the one that made my ancestors three-fifths of a man”

She is either too ignorant to know that the pro-slavery states wanted to count slaves fully (to raise their number of seats in the house), which would have likely prolonged slavery, and the anti-slavery states wanted slaves to count zero, to help oppose slavery, or she lies to make some kind of false case.
Condi Rice: “Only cynics [meaning like the white racists in Birmingham] argue that the people of the Middle East, perhaps because of their color or their creed or their culture or even perhaps because of their religion, are somehow incapable of democracy.”
Thousands of American Soldiers and Marines have died in Iraq (with 2/3 of the Christians there being ethically cleansed under Iraq’s democracy) and Afghanistan for this twisted fool’s idiocy. I’m sure she was a big cheerleader of the “Arab Spring” too, but I hope she doesn’t expect the Copts to send her a nice thank-you card, any more than the Iraqi Christians. Some “conservatives” have even wanted her to be the Republicans VP candidate, maybe some of the same who have advocated Imam David “Holy Qur’an” Petraeus for President. What idiots!

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Hmmm, there is that, isn’t there?

Cleombrotus on April 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM

So she’s soft on illegal immigration and abortion, she voted for Obama, and she’s a poster-child for Neo-cons of America. Other than the obvious identity politics, I’m not seeing a whole lot here.

Knott Buyinit on April 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I’m not talking from an “electability” position.
She’s wonderful on that score.
I’d give her a AAA rating.
She’d be an asset to the ticket.

I’m talking from a behind-the-scenes person, who sees these people in closed events, that are not privy to the public.

In rooms they feel secure in, they become who they really are.
You know, like when Obummer spoke of, “bitter clingers” up in a San Francisco soiree/fundraiser.

What you know about her, is probably been fed to you by some sort of media that had an agenda, including FOX.

I’m tired of Manchurian candidates.
I’m tired of Mill Valley, California personalities.
They are bad for America.

I think they’re even worse than candidates from Massachussets… and I’m just beginning to take to Mitt.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

George Bush campaigned against nation building but then lost his mind, believing that Islam is a Great Religion of Peace hijacked by some misunderstanders of Islam, the Koran and Mohammad. Bush apparently got confused and mixed up the words Peace and Pieces. The prime mover in making sure that Bush’s mind stayed lost was Perfumed Prince Colin Powell along with his sidekick Clueless Condi Rice who sees the whole world as reflecting her childhood in Birmingham. Rumsfeld should have been President. Bush should have been Ambassador to Mexico and Colin Powell and Condi Rice should have been working in a San Francisco laundry. Then David “Holy Qur’an” Petraeus came in and has continued the Powell/Rice Mad Hatter legacy.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM

She shoulda personally figured out a way to combat those IEDs- eh sport ?
Your hindsight is showing.

FlaMurph on April 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Luv Condi, but no.

Ayers: “Condi lied, People died!”

Axelrod: “”Oh boy, we get to run against Bush again!”

No thanks.

Bruno Strozek on April 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Pork-Chop on April 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I agree that Rice would be a bad pick – but that reason is just a bunch of crap.

The so-called “conservatives” who dislike Romney are a faction of the Republican electorate who coalesced around Bush III – the Bush Big Government Republican Rick “I was taking one for the team” Santorum. Something doesn’t make sense in your narrative.

Romney needs to pick someone who helps with suburban voters in the Midwest and Virginia. That’s the battleground for the elections.

joana on April 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM

No way.

WisCon on April 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I’d move her ahead of West…yes, Condi is great!

Karmi on April 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Colon Powell in high heels.

portlandon on April 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM

..Colin Powell wears high heels. Whoda thunk it?

The War Planner on April 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I think it will be Portman or Daniels or McDonnell, but I don’t care. I’m ready to go to battle with the Obama machine regardless of who he picks.

Rusty Allen on April 18, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I won’t vote for someone like Condi for president- not now nor ever.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Care to elaborate on that?
Your tossing out your pronouncements without explanations is just… annoying.

topdog on April 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Condi Rice is the f-ing dumbest woman on the planet, as well as one of the most anti-American. Let her be Obama’s VP.

I wonder if Condoleezza Rice was surprised by the headlines over her comment to The Washington Times that America suffers from a national “birth defect” — namely, the practice of slavery at the time of the nation’s founding.

Make that the first founding. She said she considers the civil-rights movement to be the nation’s “second founding.” The secretary of state made another point. She said that “one of the primary things” that attracted her to the candidacy of President Bush “was not actually foreign policy.” Really? Rather, she explained, “it was No Child Left Behind.” She continued: “When he talks about ‘the soft bigotry of low expectations,’ I know what that feels like.”

Miss Rice has actually said all of this before, including more emphatic remarks on “soft” bigotry. “I’ve seen it. Okay?” Miss Rice said in 2005 to the New York Times. “And it’s not in this president. It is, however, pretty deeply ingrained in our system and we’re going to have to do something about it.” Miss Rice offered as an example her own high-school teacher who suggested she was junior college material.

Maybe someone should inform the secretary of state that being underestimated, turned down or shunted aside is, alas, part of the human experience, not the exclusive function of race. But it’s probably too late for that. As secretary of state — not, say, secretary of education — Miss Rice has long been doing “something about it” on the world stage. Instead of different states and school systems, she’s been working with different countries and belief systems. Suddenly, things about the Rice Doctrine — better, the No Country Left Behind Doctrine — begin to fall into place.

I’ve written before about how Miss Rice makes faulty comparisons between the evolution of democratic principle (all men are created equal) in the United States and the introduction of democratic procedure (ballot boxes) to the Middle East, always ignoring both the miracle of our 18th-century Constitution, which contained the blueprint for abolition, and the dispiriting reality of 21st-century Islamic constitutions, which charter Shariah states where freedom of conscience (among other things) doesn’t exist.

I’ve written also about how she sees the transformation of her once-segregated hometown of Birmingham, Ala. as the blueprint for democratizing the Islamic world. Hers is a worldview personal to the point of autobiographical, as when she explains how, as a daughter of Birmingham (or “Bombingham,” as she has called it), she can relate both to Israeli fear of Palestinian bombs, and Palestinian “humiliation and powerlessness” over Israeli checkpoints, which she sees as a form of segregation. What she never seems to realize is that such “segregation,” far being the sort of prejudice she remembers, is actually an Israeli line of defense against the ultimate prejudice of Palestinian bombs.

Considering her remarks about America’s “birth defect” — an egregious term for any secretary of state to use about a nation that has brought more liberty to more races, colors and creeds than any in history — I am struck anew how deeply Miss Rice’s vision of race in America, or, perhaps, in segregated Birmingham, affects her vision of America in the wider world. It is as if Miss Rice sees American influence as a means by which to address what she perceives as disparities of race or Third World heritage on the international level.

This would help explain her ahistorical habit of linking the civil rights movement to the Bush administration’s effort to bring democracy to Iraq and Afghanistan. Indeed, in a 2003 speech to the National Association of Black Journalists, she argued that blacks, more than others, should “reject” the “condescending” argument that some are not “ready” for freedom. “That view was wrong in 1963 in Birmingham and it’s wrong in 2003 in Baghdad,” she said. In 2006, she made a similar point. “When I look around the world and I hear people say, ‘Well, you know, they’re just not ready for democracy,’ it really does resonate,” Miss Rice told ABC’s Katie Couric. “It makes me so angry because I think there are those echoes of what people once thought about black Americans.”

There’s something shockingly provincial at work here. In seeing so much of the world through an American prism of race, Miss Rice has effectively blinded herself to historical and cultural and religious differences between Islam and the West. To put it simply, neither Baghdad nor Gaza is Birmingham. And nothing in all of history quite compares to Philadelphia.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Actually no, but then I tend to dislike Romney supporters more than I dislike Romney. Especially those that call other conservative Mobys, insane, and trolls, oh and make wide sweeping generalizations because they haven’t drank the same koolaid as them.

melle1228 on April 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Condi Rice is everything Joe Biden isn’t. She’s tough, smart, speaks more than one language, plays piano by ear. She intimidated the Russians when she went there, which thrilled the Polish, Czechs and Ukrainians. She spoke Russian, too. Joe Biden can’t even put a sentence together without botching it.

mike0993 on April 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Pretty powerful stuff there, VorDaj

Cleombrotus on April 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM

topdog on April 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

She’s pro-abortion and a squish about islam.
I want someone who’s gonna stand tough against those who want to destroy Israel. I don’t trust her to do that.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Knott Buyinit on April 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I love you, man! Too funny.

Off to the bar-b-q to burn some brats on this beautiful day in Ft. Worth.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM

melle1228 on April 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I’m sorry, what’s your point? Actually no what?

joana on April 18, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Mitt Romney just like McCain loves Obama hates Conservatives

In a raucous speech, Mr. Nugent told audience members that “if Barack Obama becomes the president in November again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year.” He added that if they could not “clean house in this vile, evil, America-hating administration, I don’t even know what you’re made out of.”

Barack Obama:

called on Mr. Romney to “condemn Nugent’s violent and hateful rhetoric immediately,”

Cowardly Mitt obliged Obama

“Divisive language is offensive no matter what side of the political aisle it comes from,” said a spokeswoman, Andrea Saul. “Mitt Romney believes everyone needs to be civil.”

As I have been saying 100% Obama wins.

Now I will add.

Mitt is doing every thing in his power to fool us and elect Obama.

He will select a Progressive for his VP someone like Condi.

Steveangell on April 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM

If this happens, then Barack will draft Shrillary. Then Dick Morris will get the match-up that was supposed to happen in 2008! CONDI vs. HILLARY!!!!!

SouthernGent on April 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Hostile Gospel on April 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM

When I heard that- I thought he was just trying to put his commie curse of … on her – and that he would make her stinky to Rs.

And then the evil Ann Coulter …vehemently said NO to the idea of Condi.
So, take your pick.

FlaMurph on April 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM

ANN COULTER: Not a chance. Too much like a Sarah Palin. It will not be a woman.

Condi is totally different from Palin, especially Palin in 2008. Palin was seen as having no gravitas, and Condi’s gravitas bona fides are well known, even to those who disagree with her.
I suspect Van Jones is opining as a pundit rather than acting politically. That is his profession, at the moment, after all. Van Jones is saying that Condi would be a smart pick, and I agree.

topdog on April 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM

joana on April 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM

love her, she’s brilliant and a class act, plus her expertise on Russia would ensure that Romney won’t be too ‘flexible’ in his first term :), to Vladmir’s much chagrin, but I have to agree with your conclusion…it’s only logical…

jimver on April 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM

She hates Israel (as well as most of America) and thinks they are segregationists and racists.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Condi would be a good pick since she is immensely qualified.

Punchenko on April 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

For some reason, I don’t find her comments particularly offensive. Slavery as America’s birth defect is actually a pretty succinct and colorful way of getting to the point. It took an enormous amount of bloodshed and misery to correct that defect.

As a veep choice, well….she voted for Obama. That’s an automatic disqualification, right?

ElectricPhase on April 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

You’re as close to that line as you can get bubba. You live in Dixie ?

And what she said is spot on. She started her career in the Reagan administration and followed his passion for freedom.

Just imagine Reagan saying, “ah- screw the wall, Eastern Europe isn’t ready for democracy” – She is 100% correct – Freedom is an absolute.

FlaMurph on April 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I believe that there could be no greater legacy for America than to help to bring into being a Palestinian state for a people who have suffered too long, who have been humiliated too long, who have not reached their potential for too long, and who have so much to give to the international community and to all of us.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Thank you.
Anything more?

topdog on April 18, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Condi also knows a thing or two about Russia which is beneficial.

Punchenko on April 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Guess who said that above @ 7:12PM. No it wasn’t Louis Farrakhan. It wasn’t Mahmoud Amadejad either.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM

No to Condi.

Mirimichi on April 18, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Who bedsides the far left would want one heart beat away from the presidency someone who would say such a thing as “who have so much to give to the international community and to all of us” referring to the Palestinians?

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:27 PM

topdog on April 18, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Those are the biggie-and she seems to see things through the prism of race. I know that she lived in Jim Crow Birmingham and that she lost friends in the church bombings-but it’s not the 1960′s anymore-yet she still seems to ‘live’ there.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 7:27 PM

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Another clue. It wasn’t Yassar Arafat or Adolf Hitler either.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Condi is a complete waste of time. An African American Bushie of no distinction. She was correctly pegged by Rumsfeld and Cheney as a clueless academic who could not make a decision. A disastrous option for Willard.

wraithby on April 18, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Condi is the last on my list. She was Bush’s biggest mistake.

JannyMae on April 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Another clue. It wasn’t Yassar Arafat or Adolf Hitler either.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Bob Gates, perhaps? I know he had negative opinions on the Israelis as of late.

Punchenko on April 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM

No to anyone in the Bush admin. Sorry. Except for the wars, and those weren’t that great, Bush sucked.

Yes, I am a right winger who doesn’t appreciate the ‘compassionate conservative’ crap that he came up with.

Sporty1946 on April 18, 2012 at 7:35 PM

A rock is better than Joe ByteMe Biden. A pregnant chad makes more sense than Joe 7-11 Biden. Obama’s pet dog is smarter than Joe Gaffe a minute Biden. A used car salesman is lightyears ahead of Joe Run On Sentence Biden. Condi is President of the Universe compared to the rock that is Joe J O B S Biden.

racquetballer on April 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Israel is a country of what- 7 million people? Surrounded by 150 million muslims. How do you think that turns out in the end?
Not good for you.

FlaMurph on April 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Bob Gates, perhaps? I know he had negative opinions on the Israelis as of late.

Punchenko on April 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM

No. You know who.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM

As a one time huge Condi fan (Prior to her turning RINO), the best I can say about this is: I guess he could pick someone worse.

LegendHasIt on April 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM

She’s my choice.

rplat on April 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Condi is the last on my list. She was Bush’s biggest mistake.

JannyMae on April 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Biggest? Really – The biggest ? Your memory does not serve you well.

Hey-and don’t forget, Ghadaffy had the hots for her as well!! Even had pics of her in his office. You know she must be evil …………..

FlaMurph on April 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM

No. You know who.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM

George W. Bush? I know W. was a vocal advocate for the two-state solution.

Punchenko on April 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM

If Rice became president her weirdly self-referential vision of foreign affairs–Ich bin ein Bombinghamers–would likely be as ruinous to our country as Obama has been.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I love her, but she’s a demography pick.

Mitt needs someone like Paul Ryan, because IMHO the election is going to be about who is the grownup in the economic war room. Mitt has been sounding strong lately, so that’s going to be his tack, and I think it’s a winner.

PattyJ on April 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM

George W. Bush? I know W. was a vocal advocate for the two-state solution.

Punchenko on April 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM

You are going to kick yourself if I tell you.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Rumsfeld and Cheney
wraithby on April 18, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Oh Boy.

FlaMurph on April 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Hilarious thread, in more ways than one. So, to sum up, the crowd that has already settled on a progressive liberal as their GOP candidate in their push for anyone but Hussein ideal are against Condi Rice. Interesting…

riddick on April 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

George W. Bush? I know W. was a vocal advocate for the two-state solution.

Punchenko on April 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Name president who wasn’t.

riddick on April 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I’m still thinking about Ted Nugent.
Imagine the debate spectacle with him and Biteme going at it on stage….

dentarthurdent on April 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

And here’s how the blowhard got out of serving in Vietnam, where many of his fans died. From a July 15, 1990 Detroit Free Press profile:

But Nugent wanted no part of Vietnam. He claims that 30 days before his draft board physical, he stopped all forms of personal hygiene. The last 10 days, he ingested nothing but Vienna sausages and Pepsi; and a week before his physical, he stopped using bathrooms altogether, virtually living inside pants caked with his own excrement, stained by his urine.

Even Bill Clinton didn’t go to such excrement lengths to get out of Vietnam. Nugent is nothing but a coward.

VorDaj on April 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Name president who wasn’t.

riddick on April 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

You got me there, riddick. :-(

Punchenko on April 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM

PattyJ on April 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM

the VP job is more ceremonial than actual.(ie. Slow Joe) Albeit, Cheney had his moments. The VP job is the lady in waiting.

I don’t understand the call to take the few brain cells out of a mostly dysfunctional congress and halt the progress that a Ryan has made. Who carries on that battle- Boehner ? Ryan has to continue to lead that charge.

Besides….. If Oblamer/Clinton do happen to win in Nov. -the R VP candidate is sent off into the wilderness as a loser and ends up on FOX- sooner or later.
Don’t take that chance with any rising Rep star.

FlaMurph on April 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM

It’s going to be Condi for three reasons.
–She checks ALL the boxes
–She could step in and be President on day one
She equalizes the Hillary factor.
She can stand toe to toe with Hillary in a debate
and is appealing by comparison.
It’s going to be Obama/Hillary VS. Romney/Condi
The only way this doesn’t come to fruition is if
Hillary thinks they might lose and decides to
sit it out until 2016.

AmeriCuda on April 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM

If she worked for Bush, that’s reason enough not to support her. Romney will be bad enough without more Bush flunkies.

rickv404 on April 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

She sucks. Race victim, social liberal, academic, pro-Palislamian.

Jaibones on April 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Noooooooooooooooo!

She was a disastrous SoS. We don’t need to recycle her. I know that the “base” is fond of principles, but when did the Peter Principle become one of them?

MJBrutus on April 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM

AmeriCuda on April 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Sorry-but I dislike Condi more than Mitt.
I say it again-Condi is pro-abortion, a squish on isalm, and tends to see things through the prism of race.
She does NOT belong a heartbeat from the presidency.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM

riddick on April 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

No, actually, to sum up, either way we’re screwed. But thanks for putting it in perspective.

Cleombrotus on April 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Hotair can always be counted on to carry the water for the Gillespie,Rove Bushie Establishment. The A–holes that post these Anti-Palin garbage are a disgrace to Michelle Malkin. Every f–king Ed, Allahpundit, and Tina have some Anti-Palin piece of garbage article while ignoring her posts. Conservatives get mad at Ed Morrissey and Tina Korbe and Allahpundit. They have given you crap for far too long.

CoolChange80 on April 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Name president who wasn’t.

riddick on April 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Washington, next time don’t leave yourself open by making broad statements.

RickB on April 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Cleombrotus on April 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

If by “we” you’re grouping yourself with the PBHO administration, then I agree.

MJBrutus on April 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Seems like its a NO to Condi.

Bmore on April 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Whatever. I have no say in who he picks, and don’t really care who it winds being. all I can do is wait for it to happen, then go on with the campaign from there.

juliesa on April 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM

She’s one of those people who is really smart but just doesn’t get it.

No…times 2

jnelchef on April 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I’m sold.

Cleombrotus on April 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I sure that Obama is considering it.

My collie says:

He’ll lose the world’s most valuable insurance policy if he does.

CyberCipher on April 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM

CoolChange80 on April 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

NO ONE is forcing you to be here. If this blog is such crap then why do you continue to post your mouth-foaming drivel .
Put up-or SHUT UP!
Btw: Michelle jumped shark and went uber-right years ago. She’s not the same conservative who was running the blog when I got in in ’06.. I LIKE the way Ed, AP, and Tina run this ship.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM

The only way this doesn’t come to fruition is if
Hillary thinks they might lose and decides to
sit it out until 2016.

AmeriCuda on April 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Maybe. The clock is ticking though. Suppose a Pres. Romney turns things around – and with no more wars in Iraq or Afghan and is an unbeatable incumbent in 2016…. What then ? Hillary would probably have to wait until 2020 when she would be in her mid-70s. Don’t see that as feasible. Too much of a risk for the ONLY chance for a woman President for the next 10-20? years.
Its too hard to pass up. And I don’t see her passing it up, because she was so close in 2007-2008.
Then Condi Rice would be the only match-up that could work.
But even then, not enough. If Clinton jumps in, thats huge trouble for Rs.

FlaMurph on April 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Her personal political foreign policy views stink but she has class and she’s smokin’ hot good looking. And if she wore this outfit once a week, the election wouldn’t even be close.

And with her on the ticket, we would NEVER have to hear whining about race any more.

platypus on April 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Cleombrotus on April 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

You have obviously missed a good number of my posts lately :-)

riddick on April 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I love the idea of Condi Rice.

She meets my criteria of a legitimate nominee. She is not a political gimmick. She is bright, accomplished, and her own person. What other SecState could get away with thigh-high leather boots? (pause for you all to contemplate Hillary Clinton or Madeline Albright). She has a compelling life story. Her demographic strengths to the ticket are secondary factors so the accusations that she is only the running mate because she is a black woman would be absurd and would open Obama’s campaign to counter charges or racism and/or sexism.

That being said, I’ve got to think that she was so closely aligned with the Bush Administration she brings some negatives to the ticket. Furthermore, does she even want the job? If I were a bright academic, the job would be boring- Joe Biden does it for God’s sake and he is an idiot.

Happy Nomad on April 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM