Obama: Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth

posted at 6:36 pm on April 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

Maybe this explains why he used to eat dogs. Eating horses was reserved for rich kids.

If this campaign ends up being as nasty as everyone expects, by September he’ll be referring to Romney as “Moneybags.” For the record:

Romney is sensitive to perceptions that he grew up wealthy, so Obama’s “silver spoon” remark could strike a nerve. On the campaign trail, the former Massachusetts governor sometimes talks about his father, George, growing up poor and driving across the American West looking for work. When Mitt was born, the family was middle class, moving from Detroit to the tony suburb of Bloomfield Hills only after Mitt was a teenager, when his father took over American Motors. Although Mitt’s parents helped fund his college and graduate education, and helped him and his wife, Anne, buy their first home, he did not inherit his parents’ wealth; he amassed a multimillion-dollar fortune on his own, working at Bain Capital.

Says Joel Gehrke at the Examiner, “The president, calling as he was for increased government investment in student aid, seemed to be implying that receiving an education paid for by family is less legitimate than receiving it due to government support.” Eh, I think this is just basic Buffett Rule share-the-wealth rhetoric even though the Buffett Rule won’t pay for much of anything, let alone college educations for the middle class. And of course the silver spoon point is a veiled dig at Romney, part of the kitchen-sink effort to make him as personally unappealing to voters as possible. Romney’s already working on a counter to that:

Mitt Romney appeared today to acknowledge a recent poll that found President Obama more likeable by warning a crowd in North Carolina that “even if we like” the president, Americans “can’t afford” his policies.

Romney’s nod to the issue of likeability came during a speech billed as a “prebuttal” to Obama’s speech that will be delivered at the Democratic National Convention later this fall.

“Even if you like Barack Obama, we can’t afford Barack Obama,” said Romney. “It’s time to get someone that will get this economy going and put the American people back to work with good jobs and rising income.”

Righties won’t like the idea of him conceding O’s likability, but my hunch is that realistically there’s not much you can do to an incumbent on this point. Romney will attack, of course — a guy who won the nomination via negative ads isn’t about to abandon them now — but he’s apt to stick to policy critiques rather than character assaults a la the left’s dumb obsession with Seamus the dog. What could he say at this point about Obama as a person to dramatically shift the public’s perception of a president they’ve lived with every day for more than three years? Unless Mitt’s oppo team digs something up, O’s favorables are more or less priced in and will shift only if major policy developments, like a tanking economy, give them a push. See Nate Silver’s latest piece for more on that. Favorability is a good indicator of the likelihood of winning an election — but more so later in the race than earlier. Mitt’s got time before the public makes a more or less final judgment on him but Democrats will be pushing against him all the way.

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Critical Race Theory

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Ohhh, riiight, CRT, Critical Race Theory.

Yes, Obama does rely on that, you’re right.

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Yay!

I get to go to bed now. You know why?

Because I have to get up at 4:40AM and git my azz in gear so I can pay for welfare people.

/Even if welfare people didn’t exist? I’d STILL get up every morning and go to work. Because I am an American.

Key West Reader on April 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM

and some are not born rich but given stuff like free Harvard and Princeton education, everyone should be able to get what Romney and the Obamas got. Cause it’s only fair.

This is a ludicrous argument and I look forward to seeing it smacked down.

Buy Danish on April 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM

but then he contradicts himself (I know, shocka :-), as he actually said not long ago that he does not expect that everybody gets a college education as in a 4-year formal education, but ‘some education’, this including vocational schools, or whatever training of sorts…so, a few months ago he kinda, sorta acknowledged that not everybody could actually go to Harvard and having it all paid for by the taxpayer (like he did)…

jimver on April 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM

O/T Best.Online.Rant.EVAH!!!!!

you are right – we are better than that – we turned every cheek we could ……………..in my second book I did the whole last page on the happy liberals standing in the streets with their ‘KILL BUSH’ crappola………….while making big stinks that we were calling their freak A SOCIALIST (look it up – he is)

the hollywood guys laughed and did books and movies on killing MY PRESIDENT…………MY PRESIDENT!!!!!!!! WHILE WE WERE UNDER ATTACK AND 3,000 KILLED…….

AND WE LOST AMERICA BY TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK – WE LOST IT TO PELOSI, OBAMA, BIDEN AND REID – TOTAL SOCIALISTS – THEY HAVE SPENT ALL YOUR KIDS AND GRANDKIDS MONEY

AND THEY WON ON VICIOUS, MURDERING HATE—THEY WIN BY THREATENING TO KILL OUR GUYS ————-WHERE WERE YOU ON SHUTTING THAT DOWN????????

NOW I LOVE AMERICA MORE THAN ANYTHING……………AND WE AIN’T TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK THIS TIME

NO MATTER HOW MANY BLACK PANTHERS STAND ON MY TV IN MY TOWN AND THREATEN TO KILL THE HISPANIC…………..ENOUGH BOYS!!!!! YOU ARE USED TO THREATENING TO KILL PEOPLE YOU DON’T AGREE WITH TO GET YOUR WAY ————–

THIS FIGHT IS FOR AMERICA – WHEN THE ENEMY GETS NASTY – YOU GET RIGHT BACK IN THEIR FACE NASTY……………WE LOST EVERYTHING BY PLAYING BY ‘NICE’ RULES

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN THE RAPIST SHOWS UP AT YOUR HOME – GIVE HIM THE DAUGHTER – TO BE ‘NICE’………….AND NOT CAUSE A ‘PROBLEM’????

OR DO YOU FIGHT BACK???????

AMERICA IS WORTH FIGHTING BACK FOR TO ME

NOT TO EVER THREATEN TO HARM ON HAIR ON THAT IDIOT MAN’S HEAD – BUT WE ARE GOING TO UNELECT THESE MURDER THREATENING FREAKS – ALL OF THEM—AND EVERY WORD BUT MURDEROUS WORDS ARE ACCEPTABLE TO ME NOW……..

AND IT IS GOING TO BE TOUGH – BECAUSE THEY WILL THREATEN TO KILL YOU ————–THEY ARE SCUM – HAVEN’T YOU WATCHED THEM FOR 8 YEARS NOW, PURE EVIL SCUM………….

AND THE MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD ARE NEAR OUR WHITE HOUSE NOW

THIS IS WAR – AND THE SOONER MY LIBERAL RHINO REPUBLICANS REALIZE THAT = THE BETTER

YOU CAN’T TALK TO FREAKS LIKE THIS – THEY ONLY WANT TO DESTROY AMERICA – THEY LAUGH ABOUT DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY………

SO GO GET YOUR BATTLE GEAR ON AND FIGHT BACK ————–AMERICA NEEDS YOU AND SEND SOME MESSEGES TO THE BLACK PANTHERS AND OUR ATTY GENERAL THAT YOU DON’T WANT PEOPLE THREATENING TO KILL THE HISPANIC ON YOUR TV………….THAT IS WHERE YOUR ANGER NEEDS TO BE ———-NOT THE PEOPLE FIGHTING THESE HATE FREAKS………….

ProudPalinFan on April 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Critical Race Theory

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM

wait, what would Soledad O’Brien have to say about this? :-)…

jimver on April 18, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Yes, Obama does rely on that, you’re right.

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Look at his top appointments, and the way they have behaved, the man has an axe to grind and I find it interesting watching him play the progs to his advantage. Deep down his plans and their plans don’t quite mess, and he has demonstrated that he will toss anyone away when they are no longer useful.

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 8:43 PM

oops mesh, not mess

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM

brittle resentments, he’d be lost without them.

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Brittle resentments are the lifeblood of this site and the Tea Party movement. If this were true about Obama — and it’s not — you should make him king.

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Unfortunately, I attract people such as yourself like flies. My burden to bear, though I’ve long since stopped wondering why I’m honey to such buzzing.

The Tea Party isn’ t about resentments, nor about bitter resentments. It’s about standing for what one believes in and that’s individual liberty for citizens and not for government rule over that and those.

I’m sorry you view this site and the Tea Party with such resentments of your own. One wonders why you’d want to loiter where you think you are so immersed in such unpleasantness.

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:45 PM

wait, what would Soledad O’Brien have to say about this? :-)…

jimver on April 18, 2012 at 8:43 PM

um, not the correct thing, and then have someone go change wikipedia so she doesn’t look like an idiot… oh wait LOL!

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 8:45 PM

There is no conservative media when you have assholes like Allahpundit, Tina Korbe, Ed Morrissey, and Jon Garthwaite. How about posting Sarah Palin’s great facebook posts instead of shit like this all the time. We get it Hotair, Michelle Malkin is gone, long gone. Republican Elite Worshiping Hacks that Trash Sarah Palin run this site. We get it!

CoolChange80 on April 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Listen to the President lecture us on how to grow the economy.

How’s it workin’ for ya, sir?

itsnotaboutme on April 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Obama’s an effete narcissist. He just has to cling to these “special” “privileges” of being so unique and special and…you know, it comes out in all his racialist crud, too, why he uses that as he does: makes him think he’s “unique” among otherwise ordinary humanity.

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:39 PM

..and his power derives from his condescension. I believe that remark by Evan Thomas back in 2009 was his absolute zenith and ruled over his people and Congress and all that he surveyed until he came crashing down to Earth after calamities like the Gulf oil spill revealed what a pathetic mortal he was.

Didn’t you wonder how so many picture of him had that upturned head? I mean this guy really, really believe all of this sh!t. Like Dee2008 said, when the crash comes, it will be spectacular.

The War Planner on April 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM

ProudPalinFan on April 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Yowzah! Who was that?

Dee2008 on April 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Yeah, Obama is all about self-satisfying, which is why he’s continually unsatisfied (and that produces resentment, at least it can and in Obama’s case, seems to do so).

He uses people. It’s because he believes he’s owed more than he has. When they aren’t “giving” him, to him, they’re disposable.

Obama’s way is a one-way street. Everything comes TO him and the doors along the way are all closed to make sure the goods are funneled properly…to him.

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Must be why O and company are living it up while they can, if they’re not born with a silver spoon then they sure as heck borrow one paid for by taxpayers.

Ukiah on April 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Barry ate a dog and Mooshelle ate paint chips.

SparkPlug on April 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I’m just uneasy about how ugly this election is going to get, and if he is defeated, and I hope he is, I’m sure there will be an ugly hissy fit, as the one isn’t going to gently into that good night.

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Evan Thomas back in 2009

The War Planner on April 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Somehow all this talk of his puppy munching has completely ruined my image of him as Messiah. I will never look at him in the same way again./

Dee2008 on April 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM

The War Planner on April 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Yes, agree…

Except I don’t think he’s come “crashing down,” but that he just withdrew to “his safe place,” just withdrew more than he already was withdrawn emotionally. I don’t think Obama’s even approached some level, realistic place about himself and I honestly don’t think he’s capable of that without some huuuuge intervention of sorts, though I don’t know how that’d transpire. I don’t think him losing a second term would be enough to do that, but I do think he’ll exercise great anger (“wrath” is probably more like it) upon this nation once he’s booted out come November. But I don’t think he’ll *get it* that his faults are his own.

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Unlike any other, I’ve never had to produce a day of work in my life, nor my transcripts, nor my passport records… But, I do eat puppies in my spare time.

/#Obamaeatsdogs

Key West Reader on April 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM

LOL* Good one KWR

SparkPlug on April 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Now, if Michelle starts wearing designer dog collars….

profitsbeard on April 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

The War Planner on April 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM

My best guess is that once he loses a second term, he’ll simply become more resentful, not more well. He’ll have a new round of radical racism to inflict on the public, is what I think’ll happen.

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

ProudPalinFan on April 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Out of Decaf?

Buy Danish on April 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Really? That’s all you got left, Barry? Rich people suck? News flash, genius…You’re rich. People who vote for this jackass at this point would’ve been first in line at Jonestown.

This is insane. I thought after Carter, we NEVER would’a lived through something like this again. Insane.

a5minmajor on April 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Only hatred I see here is hatred for a black president.

wilbur on April 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Actually, to borrow from what the NY Times said about “White Hispanic” George Zimmerman, O’bama is a “White African-American.”

Del Dolemonte on April 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM

..actually, he just might. I mean After-POTUS is his dream. No real work to do except bloviate about “coulda, woulda, shoulda” while giving $1000,000 speeches to the few remaining droolers who think he is a God, and play golf.

It is when he begins to fade from public view (in about three years after he is ejected) that he will begin to claw for recognition and inject himself into the limelight when and where he can. But, since he did not have the tools for the job and since he will have trashed the Democrat party, he won’t be of any use to anyone and will be rejected.

That’s when it will get pathetic, his grasping and clawing. Sadly, he may outdistance Carter in yet another category: WORST ex-POTUS as well.

The War Planner on April 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM

It’s an emotional, psychological disadvantage that Obama has sorta’ carved into the stone of who he is and he continues to act out on that resentment, unabated, by inflicting recklessness and withholding on others (withholding on a psychological basis — how it is he’s so rude and arrogant to so many; example, the iPod with his own speeches to the Queen of England, leaving Netanyahu to dine alone, his many lies about who he is and such).

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:28 PM

but this is more like saying that he has unresolved psychological issues, and this is a matter for specialists, then…most people suffer traumas in their lives, sure, of different intensity and magnitude, some in their formative years (these probably leave the most enduring sequels), but at some point you need to get a grip, acknowledge who you are and take responsibility for your life…this is what most people do, you can’t just dwell forever on said life blows and traumas and look for excuses at very turn, or blame it all on dadda issues, all your life…and if you do, who is going to take you seriously, or better yet, if you do, then maybe you need specialized help, and not head a nation the size of the US….

jimver on April 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM

AH, yes… no way that anyone else can be racist. No way that people could care less and just dislike the policies of a political hack. That will become a well worn phrase before this election is done.

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM

CoolChange80 on April 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM

wadda matter? Meidcaid not paying for your meds anymore??…

jimver on April 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Perhaps it’s because you stink like….nah, too easy.

No, it’s about a bunch of cranky old white right-wingers bitter that they don’t get a free pass to run America anymore and — possibly — that the America they pretend to remember never really existed. Your argument might have more credibility if it weren’t for the truly pathological level of derangement, paranoia and psychosis that emerges every time a tea-party crowd forms (and begins talking about the Kenyan Muslim bent on destroying America).

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:45 P

I don’t want to one of those people who doesn’t want to listen to the other side. And, sometimes the debates are illuminating. And, like Jon Stewart (oddly enough) I think Ed and Allah argue the conservative side from a fairly rational point of view.

On the other hand, this particular debate collapsed into self-parody within moments.

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

This is why I’m confident Team Romney will do a good job this fall. He is smart with his responses to Team Obama.

terryannonline on April 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

That, or he’ll suffer some kind of breakdown. Narcissists don’t handle anger well…we’ve already seen some hints of this. The things he can explain away, he will. He’ll spin and believe his own spin. But it is possible to crack his exterior. I suspect if he ever read some of these threads on his dog eating, he’d freak out. Ridicule is the one thing he really cannot tolerate.

Dee2008 on April 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

The War Planner on April 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Ouch, what a way to go down in the history books.

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Dee2008 on April 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM

wonder if he believes in reincarnation? you know what they say, kharma can be a beotch :-)…

jimver on April 18, 2012 at 9:04 PM

This sounds like something a spoiled brat would say. And considering he is our first affirmative action president it only makes sense. A man who has never really accomplished anything of worth in his life and had every door opened for him because of a system that promotes not based on merit, but skin color, is bound to remain a petulant child.

Too bad the Constitution doesn’t say tot be eligible to become president a person must have a minimum emotional age of 35.

NotCoach on April 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM

The War Planner on April 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Yep.

NotCoach on April 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM

NotCoach on April 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM

…considering that he still has dadda issues at forty something (btw, how old is he), he’d sure fail that test…

jimver on April 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM

“Hispanic” is not considered a race legally (see the Census, among other things) or, apparently, b y the Times stylebook.

Americans with any significant African blood have been traditionally treated as black. In the days of segregation, being one-eighth black made you subject to Jim Crow laws. Since then, people with significant African blood are generally considered black based on some mixture of how they appear and self-identify, although “mixed race” is gaining ground.

At any rate, the Times usage is standard and not indicative of either racism or excessive correctness.

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Dee2008 on April 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

would they be a danger to themselves in that event?

jimver on April 18, 2012 at 9:09 PM

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

You are right. Us cranky white guys want to run our own lives and tell everyone else to piss off. If you want someone else to run your life find a woman who fits the bill. Otherwise keep your hands out of my pockets and your policies out of my liberties.

NotCoach on April 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Produce a single example of the NYT using the term “white Hispanic” prior to the Zimmerman, Martin incident. We’ll wait.

NotCoach on April 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM

We need James O’Keefe (or is it O’Keith) to go back in time and get video of the dog eating.

What do you think; BBQ sauce, ranch or honey-mustard?

Boogeyman on April 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Oh,while on DU Lefty site,
they seens to like this
name for Romney……

RMoney!

canopfor on April 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Progs want you to be more concerned with want Romney does with his money than what Obama and his MASSIVE government does with yours.

Resist We Much on April 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

lol! I really fail to understand why people find Obama “likable” when he must be one of the biggest and most ungracious a-holes in public life. I can hardly wait to vote this creep out in November.

ghostwriter on April 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

jimver on April 18, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Hard to tell. Rage can often lead to some type of acting out. But a person with this disorder might also react to criticism with strong feelings of shame–leading them to withdraw and turn inward. Depression could ensue. If he were under a psychiatrist’s care, maybe the doc would be able to predict. I’m sure it varies from case to case.

Dee2008 on April 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Are you saying that, if I go look at past articles on, say, Secretary of Labour Hilda Solis and Justice Sotomayor, I will find the New York Times described them as “white Hispanics”?

**eyeroll**

Sympathy For The Devils, Race-Pimps, Grievance-Mongers, & Great, White Guilt-Trippers?

Resist We Much on April 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Oh,while on DU Lefty site,
they seens to like this
name for Romney……

RMoney!

canopfor on April 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

All the lefties are good at is coming up with slogans.

ghostwriter on April 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

de facto it is…as a born and raised european, I have to admit that it continues to surprise me as for why, we’d think of hispanics as caucasians back in Europe (guess must be our euro-centric worldview, eh :-)…But every single admin form I had to fill in the US, starting with the immigration, banking, employment paperwork, etc, listed ‘Hispanic’ under the category of race…

jimver on April 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Lourdes on April 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

My best guess is that once Obama leaves office he will abandon any pretense that he gives a damn about the United States and use the prestige of the office he once held to attack America on behalf of groups one step above being labeled terrorist organizations.

Happy Nomad on April 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Thank you so much for enlightening us about being born with a silver spoon in your mouth… Mr. (Ms?) ELITIST.

ghostwalker1 on April 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Poor Obama. We all feel so sorry that he had such a rough life that he had to go to Harvard and end up POTUS. Instead of a silver spoon, he must have been born with his foot in his mouth and huge chip on his shoulder. The burden must be unbearable!

HoosierStateofMind on April 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Don’t think that everyone would have a level playing field when it comes to receiving this government money for education…
This is a form of Reparations.

BPinNC on April 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

**eyeroll**

Resist We Much on April 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Given that they don’t have last names that sound vaguely Jewish, and they’re not tied up in a racially charged shooting, there’s not much point in identifying their ethnicity with such specificity, is there?

For decades, The Times has had clear policies warning reporters and editors to be careful about using ethnic, racial and religious labels. Only when “pertinent,” its stylebook says.

In the Treyvon case, race is clearly relevant. In the case of cabinet secretaries, relevant when talking about ethnic politics or a newsworthy “first.”

When talking strictly about their role in the cabinet — proposing a new regulation — race would not be used.

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Obama: Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth

…because it was in his a$$!… it’s still there!

KOOLAID2 on April 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

character assaults a la the left’s dumb obsession with Seamus the dog.

Per Honda’s comments about vetting WH staff, if the best they can come up with is Seamus they are in trouble with the character assassination piece.

Imagine if Zero had been through deep vetting…

CorporatePiggy on April 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Aw little mister sock puppet. If ya don’t have one I’ll give ya one, and if ya do, I’ll gladly tell ya where ya can stick it. Ya miserable piece of dog meat………or lunch, I guess where you come from.

waterytart on April 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM

No he wasn’t but it sure would be nice if my wife had been given a 300k+ a year job just for being there, yeah that would have been real nice..

Narcissist class warrior prick…

RockyJ. on April 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Obama: Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth

Like hell you weren’t, you little spoiled punk. You’ve had the Marxist sponsored silver spoon down your throat, from Davis to Ayers, from childhood to now.

Puke.

petefrt on April 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

And what about the coke spoon up his nose?

BPinNC on April 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

How do you suppose Obama prefers his dog prepared? Smoked over an open fire perhaps?

Kjeil on April 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM

…Blackened Cajun!

KOOLAID2 on April 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Dear America, Our Orwellian President Fails on Energy
by Sarah Palin on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 6:23pm ·

Last Friday, former energy trader and now Fox News host Eric Bolling and I hosted a Fox special called “Paying at the Pump,” which offered President Obama solutions to reduce prices at the pump and get our country on the path to real energy security.

A genuine “all of the above” approach to energy independence is, of course, a multifaceted plan. It includes conservation and sensible private sector investment in sound alternative energy, and it absolutely must involve unleashing our domestic energy production. We cannot ignore the need to drill, baby, drill; frack, baby, frack; and mine, baby, mine. Those who are concerned about the environment and our dangerous dependence on foreign oil should encourage the development of natural gas as a clean and plentiful bridge-fuel to a more renewable future. We have enough clean, green natural gas in America to be energy independent for many decades—whether we use it for natural gas cars or natural gas power plants. We also need to look at our oil refining capacity and our regulations there. We must cut the job-killing, anti-domestic energy regulations of Obama’s EPA and IRS which create such burdens and uncertainty. Finally, Eric pointed out that we must do something about the Wall Street speculators. I know this is a touchy issue, but Eric’s points are valid. Obama’s Federal Trade Commission and Commodity Futures Trading Commission appear to have no teeth in dealing with this because they haven’t cracked down on the president’s friends on Wall Street who are creating unnecessary oil market volatility. Eric suggested that we could reduce the problem of speculation by raising energy margin requirements.

In his press conference today, President Obama seems to have latched on to Eric’s idea of dealing with speculators. But the president proposed an outrageously expensive “fix,” claiming that he needs a boatload of tax dollars and bureaucrats to merely apply common sense to regulating oil trades and enforcing the authority the CFTC was already granted by the Dodd-Frank bill. This is ridiculous, and it’s not enough. Keep in mind that cracking down on speculation is only a small part of the solution. The key remedy is still drilling.

Basically, President Obama’s idea of an “all of the above” approach to energy is really “none-of-the-above” to the resources we use right now to power our economy. Take for instance the Obama EPA’s war against coal production (which he promised when he was a candidate), which will ultimately leave us with higher electric bills and less electricity. Because his cap and trade legislation got sidelined, Obama is now using his EPA to accomplish the same destructive goals by imposing draconian regulations aimed at crippling the coal industry. According to the Associated Press, Obama’s EPA will soon “force 32 mostly coal-fired power plants to shut down and threatens to close 36 others” and will eventually remove from our power grid enough electricity to power 11 million households. Just ask Californians how much fun “rolling blackouts” are. I suppose we can look forward to more romantic candle-lit evenings ahead as America moves backward with less energy, which must be more of Obama’s “leading from behind” strategy. I hope the folks up North have a hearty wood supply for their fireplace warmth, and that those in the Southwest don’t mind sweltering in the summer heat. Air conditioning takes up an awful lot of electricity; and in Obama’s America, energy will be scarce. As Mark Levin has pointed out numerous times, Obama’s policies will ultimately de-industrialize America.

But we don’t have to look to the future to feel the pain of Obama’s energy policies. Look at our current gas prices. The Obama administration is locking up federal lands to drilling. The EIA reports that production and sale of fossil fuels on federal lands dropped by 6% last year under Obama. Other studies show a 12% decline. When you hear the president boast of all the “new” drilling going on, he’s talking about production on private and state land that was in the works long ago and is not under his control. He doesn’t tell you how his administration has done everything in its power to strangle resource development with regulatory red tape and foot dragging on the permitting and leasing process. We hear his endless claims that we only have “2% of the world’s oil”—sometimes he adds “reserves” to that—but know that the White House is playing games with semantics. The Obama administration is using a subset of “proved oil reserves” to make it sound like America is energy poor! They’re deliberately distorting the true picture of our massive recoverable oil resources—most of which is on federal land that the government has locked up to responsible development. In short, the president is deceiving the public. As I’ve said before, the energy production “facts” and numbers President Obama repeats are skewed, deceptive and downright Orwellian.

Ironically, President Obama likes to remind us that global factors outside of our control affect the price of oil, but he never seems to make the connection that this is precisely why we should increase our domestic supply of oil by drilling here where environmental and worker safety standards are stricter than any foreign country from which we purchase oil, and that our increased domestic supply would put downward pressure on the price of oil. If Obama doesn’t think increasing the supply on the market affects the price at the pump, then why did he ask the Saudis to increase their production? And Brazil? Why did he open our Strategic Reserves last year to lower prices at the pump? Common sense tells you that, of course, increasing the supply of something has an affect on the price.

President Obama refuses to acknowledge this obvious truth because he doesn’t want to do what needs to be done. He isn’t interested in drilling, fracking or mining for the resources we actually use to power our economy. His idea of an energy plan amounts to dumping more of our tax dollars into the bankrupt green energy companies that his campaign donors invested in. It’s crony capitalism on steroids. He’s also in favor of “investing” your tax dollars into algae because he believes pond scum is the wave of the future. He also tells you to deal with gas prices by merely inflating your tires; getting a tune up; and, despite your work needs or the size of your family, ditch your larger vehicle for one he deems acceptably small. But what about the $4 per gallon gas prices that are devastating the budgets of American families, crippling our small businesses, and increasing the transportation costs of all goods shipped in America and thereby increasing the prices of everything we buy? Barack Obama’s answer to your pain is basically, “give me some flexibility here…” because “change isn’t easy.” Well, actually it is. It starts with getting rid of this energy illiterate administration.

Today, on Tax Day, our big, wasteful, and largely useless centralized government is taking hard-earned money from 85 million Americans.

The Republican Study Committee reports: “According to the non-partisan Tax Foundation, the country will work 107 days this year just to pay for federal, state, and local taxes. By their calculations, a larger share of Americans’ income will go to taxes than food, clothing & housing combined!”

And what do we get in return on our investment in big government? More marching orders from the faceless bureaucrats in D.C. More crony capitalism for the administration’s favored friends. More expensive conventions, vacations, parties (and Colombian hookers?) for the profligate Obama administration. Less energy security. Less allowance for resource development. More EPA regulations to de-industrialize our country and kill jobs. More opportunities shipped overseas as we allow others to produce for us that which our government refuses to allow us to produce for ourselves!

Aren’t we tired of this by now? Candidate Obama promised us a sensible energy plan to get us to energy independence. President Obama has failed to deliver it.

He fails to understand the fundamental truth that there is an inherent link between energy and prosperity, and energy and security. Oil prices affect everything in our lives, including where we send our sons and daughters in war. Developing resources here grows our economy, decreases our trade imbalance, creates hundreds of thousands of good-paying jobs, and secures our union by eliminating our dependence on dangerous foreign regimes who use our energy insecurity as a weapon against us. Access to secure domestic energy will make us a more peaceful and prosperous nation.

Obama doesn’t understand this—just as he doesn’t understand the dangers of his wasteful spending. Our energy policy is also linked with our fiscal and monetary policies. In light of America’s unsustainable $16 trillion debt, there’s more talk about dumping the U.S. dollar as the world’s reserve currency, which is the currency used to buy and sell oil. If that happens, we’ll feel the pain of inflation everywhere—especially at the pump. That, in turn, will trickle down to everything in our economy. Those living on fixed incomes and retirement pensions and annuities will feel the pain especially hard. So, this is one more reason to get government debt under control with sound monetary policy that doesn’t try to “inflate away” our debt with currency manipulation and gimmicks like quantitative easing.

Obama fails to understand this. He’s failed us as the nation’s stakeholders, and that’s why we must replace our CEO at November’s ballot box. As one audience member in our Fox special said, “I can’t fill my gas tank with hope and change.”

Wake up, America. November is around the corner. Change is easier than you’ve been led to believe.

- Sarah Palin

CoolChange80 on April 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I honestly dont get how preachy, condescending, whiney, blaming, divisive and narsisistic equals likeable.

ldbgcoleman on April 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Not like the NYT has had a problem maligning Jews before, to save their progressive racist black victim narrative.

batterup on April 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Now, if Michelle starts wearing designer dog collars….

profitsbeard on April 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

with a poodle skirt?

katy the mean old lady on April 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Only hatred I see here is hatred for a black president.

wilbur on April 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

You see what you like to see..

a statement of rabid prejudice on your part…. Nobody is mentioning his color.. but like a good lemming, you immediately throw the race card..

because he’s an utter failure as president.

and you have got nothing.

nothing..

to defend his record with, besides a heaping dose of “I hate you”..

screw off,.. you wanna lie about us, you’ll do that anyway..

mark81150 on April 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

CoolChange80 on April 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Is there something wrong with you or do you always sh$t on your hosts floor?

JPeterman on April 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

ldbgcoleman on April 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Just do some eavesdropping in a Starbucks. Birds of a feather and all that.

BobMbx on April 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

CoolChange80 on April 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

jenfidel is back.

katy the mean old lady on April 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

ghostwalker1 on April 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Mr.

I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth.

My kids were up to brushed aluminum.

jimver on April 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Probably true, but, per the census, most Hispanics don’t identify as “Hispanics” for racial purposes. Go down to table 6, page 14. It appears that Hispanic is just shorthand for for language and national origin. For practical purposes, it’s a pretty easy way to track things — we all pretty much recognize “Hispanics” when we deal with them — and for counting purposes it works (if you want to detect a pattern of discrimination, say, or track health and education performance among communities).

The Census — like the Times is more fastidious. According to them, 52% of Hispanics are self-identified “white.” A large number consider themselves black. It’s my understanding that many or maybe most South and Central Americans have significant Indian blood, and in much of Carribean there’s a lot of African, so there’s that.

I like that 40% of Hispanic respondents looked at the array of boxes on the form, said to themselves “what the hell race do you think I am, pendejo?” and just checked other.

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

ghostwriter on April 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I have a theory. It is because the sissy republicans are too afraid to point out his destructive policies and arrogant behavior. Maybe if they did—-often and LOUDLY, the little fella might not be seen as “likeable”.

arnold ziffel on April 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Apples and oranges. Yes the formal definition of Hispanic for government purposes is as you say. But on the other hand, the dims and the press are certainly eager to present them as oppressed minorities at every opportunity. If you are as smart as you think, you know that had Zimmerman been presented as a Hispanic the ensuing bru ha ha would not have occurred.

chemman on April 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth

As usual, Obama gets it wrong–preferring ideology to facts.

What an epic, overweening, conceited, desperate fail.

smellthecoffee on April 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

batterup on April 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Yes, I guess the Jews that owned the Time at the time of the one, 21-year-old incident you pull up, hated Jews.

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Just do some eavesdropping in a Starbucks. Birds of a feather and all that.

BobMbx on April 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Across the nation they are all the same. Even our well spoken trolls don’t realize how nasty they come across—or don’t care.

arnold ziffel on April 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

He was born with a silver spoon up his a$$!

MCGIRV on April 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Puh-lease. You know that is bullshyt. The New York Times, as did the rest of the media, sooooooo wanted Zimmerman to be a white guy. That is why they did everything that they could to CREATE a racially-charged issue. There is NO evidence that the shooting was racially-charged. NONE. The only “evidence” was manufactured by the media, as I document here.

George Zimmerman is a Hispanic man, who only two years ago PUBLICLY led the charge to have two of the very officers that investigated and interrogated him investigated for covering up the beating of a homeless, African-American man by one of the cop’s son. He went through black neighbourhoods passing out flyers to get the community involved.

Face it: The story does not have any punch if Zimmerman is Hispanic. He has to be white in order to sell.

Where’s the outrage over the reverse story that cited in the link in my previous post?

Where’s the outrage over the black woman who killed a new mum and kidnapped her 3 day-old white son?

Where are Jesse & Al?

Resist We Much on April 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Obama: Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth

Well you sure were born with a stick up your ass as well as a chip on your shoulder.

arnold ziffel on April 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I honestly don’t get how preachy, condescending, whiny, blaming, divisive and narcissistic equals likeable.

ldbgcoleman on April 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Ha, the likeability is less every day, as comes to the public eye his statist totalitarian radical Marxist ideology and his calculated deceit.

petefrt on April 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Obama: Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth

But you grew up like your followers, with your head up your as$.

Rio Linda Refugee on April 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

jenfidel is back.

katy the mean old lady on April 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

CoolChange is a dude.

JPeterman on April 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Obama: Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth in America. But I’m black….in your face suckas’!

dmann on April 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM

terryannonline on April 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Are you insane?

Seriously how can Mitt win the election by liking Obama and having his son say “don’t criticize Obama he is doing a great job”.

Really you actually think people will actually understand what 15 Trillion in debt means. Sorry but humans can not really understand a Million let alone a Million Million. These numbers are meaningless to most of the voters. All they understand is they like all the freebies that Obama is giving them and Ryan wants to take away. That will mean Obama will win.

Just get ready for four more years of Obama and the ending of the Republican Party. This will end ugly.

Steveangell on April 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Only hatred I see here is hatred for a black president.

angryed on April 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I could be misremembering, but I don’t remember you ever acting like this before.

Count to 10 on April 18, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Yeah, Ed went nutso when it became apparent Romny was gonn be the Republican nominee

McCain Hater on April 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Only hatred I see here is hatred for a black president.

angryed on April 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Nah, we have grown to hate you also.

Rio Linda Refugee on April 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Where are Jesse & Al?

Resist We Much on April 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM

You’re deranged. When someone looks like Zimmerman does and a name like Zimmerman does, everyone assumes he’s white. The Times actually bumped the racial aspect down a notch by pointing out that he was Hispanic. If the Times wanted to add “punch” by playing up a racial aspect, they would have continues to allow people to assume that Zimmy was white.

Looks to me like that murder has been getting plenty of coverage, and that the murderer has been apprehended. Doesn’t appear that anyone was let off because of the race of their victim.

Where’s your outrage about the murders in Tulsa?

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

dmann on April 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM

OK I will bite.

Obama went to private schools and then Harvard. At Harvard he ran around with another guy in fancy sports cars. He had no debt after this so could afford to take a low paying job as a Communist Organizer.

I am sorry but most white people would think Obama was born with the silver spoon as well. I sure wish I had it that nice.

Steveangell on April 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Steveangell on April 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

You are insane and of little faith. Most voters I know understand all too well what a whore Obama is. He is all but done unless he decides destroying America is worth saving his ego……sadly that’s a real possibility, we’ll know by the 7/4/12.

dmann on April 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I sure wish I had it that nice.

Steveangell on April 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I wish we knew who payed for all of his schooling or if he got foreign student aid.

Rio Linda Refugee on April 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Only hatred I see here is hatred for a black president.

angryed on April 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Damn! Caught again, I don’t like this president, not because of his ridiculous failed polices, or the fact he pits Americans against one another, or the fact that this must be the LEAST transparent administration I can remember (I’m older than I would like to admit), or the fact that he and his minions will talk about ANYTHING other than his record…

Nope, I’m a racist…

You people are amazing!

ccrosby on April 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM

My prediction is Secretary General of the UN (eventually). He’ll fit right in over there.

Red State State of Mind on April 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Has anyone else noticed how these borderline trolls are coming unhinged?

Bmore on April 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

ghostwriter on April 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

People don’t like him, that’s another false narrative the media loves.. but has no basis in fact. Liberals are always in adoration mode with their leaders.. and are dumbstruck that the arrogant, stuck up, messianic wanna be name calling a-hole that they adore for sliming republicans with such zeal.. is as popular as snakebite…

Note to the brain dead left.. your “won” has been such a two faced strident as*hole, I wouldn’t p*ss on him if he were on fire..

You slime throwing jerks for 8 years made this country put up with your vile sneering mud throwing name calling filth flinging rants about our president..

and now you have the whining, unmitigated gall to cry babybottle sized tears because we don’t adore your mancrush like you do?

You people are off your meds..

You always dish it out with a coal shovel, and can’t take the slightest microscopic amount of criticism..

you whine..

you cry..

you scream racist..

You’re about to be sodomized by Karma.. and you can’t even fathom why..

Liberals are blind, completely blind to the way they spread hatred in their wake..

Then when years like 1980, 84, 94 2000, 04 and 2010 happen, you’re again, gobsmacked that anything like that could happen.. why why why why why…..

You think you’re so smart, smarter than those stupid rethugs, or those sheep voters.. why why why, are we dashing your hopes and dreams… waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh…

If you must know..

because you’re a-holes and we don’t like you, don’t want to do your bidding, and would love it if you ran to Canada to protest not getting your way..

mark81150 on April 18, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Sorry i.e. CoolChange80 and angryed.

Bmore on April 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I guess the Jews that owned the Time at the time…

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

don’t realize how nasty they come across—or don’t care.

arnold ziffel on April 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

That was a neat trick.

rogerb on April 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Only hatred I see here is hatred for a black president.

angryed on April 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Nope, I’m a racist…

You people are amazing!

ccrosby on April 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Ooops, just realized I said “you people”…confirms I’m a racist.

Thought I’d get that out there before the obvious coming comment…

ccrosby on April 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

ldbgcoleman on April 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I’ve always been of the opinion that Obama’s “likability” (much like his “intelligence”) is greatly exaggerated. People are afraid to say he isn’t likable because they don’t want to be thought of as racist (and during the primary in 2008 it became crystal clear that even the slightest critique and/or questioning of Obama on anything led one to be labeled a racist — they even did it to Bill Clinton, for the love of dog, and regardless of what you think of Clinton, that was utterly ludicrous. If they can do it to Clinton, they can do it to anybody). Hence, when asked if they like Obama “as a person” or on a “personally level” (however the poll question is phrased) the safe answer is “yes.”

Nonetheless, it is still smart for Romney to take the tack he is — attacking Obama on likability (exaggerated as it may be) is opening a can of worms that detracts from the real issues Romney should, and is, focusing on: Obama’s failed policies. This tack (as AP puts it “conceding the likability issue”) lets those who still fear the racist label say “Romney’s right — you can like Obama (i.e., not be racist) and still disagree with is policies.”

Dark Star on April 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Has anyone else noticed how these borderline trolls are coming unhinged?

Bmore on April 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

That..

and why are new names popping up?.. Did I miss another open registration day?.. Wilbur?.. never saw him before,.. it’s as if they made up about six sock puppets each on open registration day, and move from one to another after getting banned on one..

I’ve seen more new names in the last week, than in the last two months..

mark81150 on April 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM

urban elitist on April 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

What exactly is the expiration date on a major media outlet maligning one ethnic group to promote the victim label of another? It took the reporter 20 years to come clean about what his editors did, you think that policy stopped in the interim?

It’s a story about the dirty motives of the media elites – no different than their invention of a new class of person – “white-hispanic” to pimp their narrative.

This Obama story that he is ‘regular folks’ and Romney is the mustached guy from monopoly would have already been blown up by a legitimate media. If it weren’t for alternative media exposing the Potemkin villages of the War on Women, the War on Dogs, white-hispanics, the Buffet rule etc we’d all be … well, like you.

batterup on April 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM

mark81150 on April 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM

They are frightened. More and more of them the closer we get. They will continue to become more and more unhinged as it becomes more and more obvious 0 is done!

Bmore on April 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Dark Star on April 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Exactly, they have done studies that show people who are being polled will tell the poller what they want to hear. Because they don’t want to be thought badly of.

uncommon sense on April 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM