Boehner: The president checked out last Labor Day

posted at 4:51 pm on April 18, 2012 by Tina Korbe

In a pre-recorded interview for CBS’ “This Morning,” House Speaker John Boehner called out the president for his incessant campaigning and confirmed that the chief occupant of the White House has lately made no effort whatsoever to work with Congress on any of the key issues that face the country.

Boehner particularly noted the peculiarity of the president’s pivot from an all-consuming focus last summer on arriving at a “Grand Bargain” on the debt and deficit to his present focus on a tax measure that would barely affect the deficit at all.

“I sat for months with the president. He wanted revenue,” said Boehner. “I said, ‘Mr. President, I’ll put revenue on the table that we can achieve out of fixing our tax code. But the only way I’ll do it is if you’re willing to have real, fundamental reform of our entitlement programs.’ And the fact is we have an agreement,” the Speaker said.

“And then two days later, the president decided he wanted $400 billion of more revenue, which was, in effect, a $400 billion tax increase.

“He lost his courage,” Boehner said.

He added that he was “not optimistic” about reaching a new agreement with the president. “The president checked out last Labor Day. All he’s done is campaign full time for the last six months. He’s not been engaged in the legislative process at all. There have been no efforts at trying to work with Democrats and Republicans to address this issue at all. And it’s — it’s shameful.”

In essence, Boehner is saying that the president is not doing his job. It’s not that he’s doing it poorly — it’s that he’s not doing it at all. Even liberals have noted that the president has backed away from hard fights. In her column this week, Ruth Marcus points out that the president — by focusing so much on his reelection and separating the Buffett Rule from broader tax reform proposals — is making Democrats’ job more difficult down the road, when they will want to call for comprehensive tax increases.

It’s worth noting that the lack of ideas from Democrats on major issues doesn’t just suggest that their electoral strategy is to demonize whatever Republicans present. It’s also to obscure whatever their true tax and entitlement reform plans would be — presumably because their ideas wouldn’t be particularly palatable to the American public.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

angryed on April 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Please, share your college experience…

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM
True that, I actually long for the days of liberal4life. She stuck to one terrible message. This creature attacks everyone, (except the one who eats dogs).

Rusty Allen on April 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM

“…the lack of ideas from Democrats on major issues…”

Uhmm, they used up all of their ideas in Obama’s first year.
Every. Single. One.

mrt721 on April 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM

The way he’s going there might be a hammer soon, the dude’s become nasty.

Bishop on April 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I don’t disagree with that comment, just the reason. It will come due to OT posting, not bashing Southerners, Christians, etc…

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Crybaby checked out almost at the time he grabbed the gavel.

KOOLAID2 on April 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM

If that’s the case it should have been gone for its ant-military tirade in the Seamus thread yesterday, and for launching into its tired old anti-Christian tirade in this thread. Seriously OT.

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM

The Resident doesn’t have any flexibility yet to do what he perceives his job to be.

NapaConservative on April 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

He’ll just ask Vladimir to get rid of those annoying little foot-draggers called Congress and the Supreme Court.

Like Boris Yeltsin did to the Duma, straddling a tank.

Steve Z on April 18, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM
I’m sick of it. I would love to talk about thread topics, but it’s hard not to respond when someone constantly attacks your country, your military, and your God. I’m not sure you could be more offensive.

Rusty Allen on April 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Seriously OT.

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Did you report him?

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Rusty Allen on April 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Did you report him?

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Funny. This is from someone who has never even checked in.

riddick on April 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I will now.

Rusty Allen on April 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM

NapaConservative on April 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Yeah, I wish he really was. What a warrior.

Rusty Allen on April 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Did you report him?

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Never having found the need to report anyone until now, not sure how you go about it?

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Seriously OT.

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Did you report him?

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Guys. Why don’t you just ignore him Trolls thrive on attention and all of you keep giving it to him. Perhaps you’ve noticed it has caused him to completely unhinge?
Scroll on by.

katy the mean old lady on April 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Wow. That’s a news flash, John.

Who would have ever thunk it????.

That a guy who never did a damn thing in his life but campaign and agitate wouldn’t do his duty?

LegendHasIt on April 18, 2012 at 6:02 PM

It’s far better to ignore, than to call for a ban. With the former, you hurt the attention whores by depriving them of what they need the most. With the latter, you create the perception that those who simply make waves on HotAir, get the boot – for that reason alone. Even if they deserved the boot.

Just ignore them – trust me – it kills them, to no end.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 18, 2012 at 6:04 PM

It was kind of Boehner to say Obama was only checked out on labor day. It seems to me that the country has been rudderless since the midterm elections, or, if that’s too far back, at least since Axelrod started the re-election effort.

Deafdog on April 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I observed that also. He always been in campaign mode. Lately though, he’s appeared listless, deflated and tired. It looks like he’s just mailing it in. Some have suggested he is overconfident that he will be re-elected. Other have posited that he and his administration think he’s all done.

dogsoldier on April 18, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Scroll on by.

katy the mean old lady on April 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I understand what you mean, and called for a moratorium on responding to him last night. You’ll notice that I haven’t actually responded to him or anything he’s said since. Now it’s more that some of us are talking about him and not to him…and he’s not responding to that at all.

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Roger that, moving on.

Rusty Allen on April 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Just ignore them – trust me – it kills them, to no end.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 18, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Good recommendation – for now.

22044 on April 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM

katy the mean old lady on April 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM

But your point is well taken nonetheless. Thanks!

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Rusty Allen on April 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I didn’t realize skin was so thin out in flyover country.

angryed on April 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM

That’s what makes it fun.

cozmo on April 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Email Ed or AP to alert them to the continual OT posts. If nothing else, click on the “Send tips to tips@hotair.com at the top of the page.

Seriously??? You must be a noob also.

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I think Obama is increasingly cocky. He knows he has the media, but an honest study of his record will drive people to back Romney.

Rusty Allen on April 18, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Scroll on by.

katy the mean old lady on April 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Sometimes, it is fun to engage the trolls…eventually, they get themselves banned (a la liberal4life). ;)

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Seriously??? You must be a noob also.

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Thanks. Been here for a few years actually. I’m quite willing to let people vent, respect free speech, and have a high tolerance for idiocy. But as Bishop said, this one’s just gotten nasty.

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM

But as Bishop said, this one’s just gotten nasty.

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Its a long time until November and many more will decloak before then.

cozmo on April 18, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I tolerate & even enjoy a fair amount of curmudgeonry, but crossing the line into nastiness means that this particular one just wants attention & trouble.

22044 on April 18, 2012 at 6:19 PM

TK:

That’s a pretty fair assessment of Progressivism. It’s like Pelosi’s antics in the House as Speaker. First, she behaves incredulously if one questions whether an Act is Constitutional, and second, states that laws must be passed to find out what’s in them. If that’s not an indictment of Democrats’ activity, then nothing is.

AnonymousDrivel on April 18, 2012 at 6:22 PM

But I thought conservatives liked it when govt doesn’t do a lot. So Obama is damned if he does too much but damned if he does too little. The guy can’t win.

angryed on April 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM

He makes recess appointments when one person in Congress goes to the restroom, puts in czars for any position that doesn’t exist, and signs executive orders. That’s not governing, it’s dictating.

jayhawkingeorgia on April 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM

He’s nasty, yes, but a quick google search puts you here in January 2012…

…not such a long timer at all…

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM

He’s nasty, yes, but a quick google search puts you here in January 2012…

…not such a long timer at all…

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Excuse me. I apologize. I found entries older than January 2012. My only question is…why are fighting the fight now? You shoulda been here daily, at the very least weekly, to fight the good fight, but you weren’t.

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM

If he checked out last Labor Day, when did he check in? I only remember him checking in for tee times

jayhawkingeorgia on April 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Excuse me. I apologize. I found entries older than January 2012.

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Thank you for the apology. Honest, decent people tend to do that!

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM

You know, I’ve followed your comments here for a while, and respect you and the things you post, and I take you at your word. A couple of questions of my own though. Why is seniority so important? I said I’ve been here a few years, but you still had to do a Google check? You and I may not have been following the same threads at the same times, but I think you’ll find I’ve been very active here…fighting the good fight.

Cheers!

Trafalgar on April 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Did Oblunder ever really check IN?

stukinIL4now on April 18, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Scroll on by.

katy the mean old lady on April 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Isn’t that an old Dionne Warwick song?

slickwillie2001 on April 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Oh. Hey. Look. It’s Zombie Boehner back from the dead.

He was dead, right? I mean, talk about ‘Missing in Action’.

FlatFoot on April 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM

angryed on April 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM

How much air, water and land pollution has your energy use today caused. Hypocrite

chemman on April 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Almost 50% of that American public does not pay federal (and state) taxes. why do you think they would vote for someone who wants this fixed? Anyone receiving entitlements of one form or another will vote for Hussein, almost to a person.

riddick on April 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Don’t you have something to cry about?

angryed on April 18, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Moby

Prufrock on April 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Dick!

KOOLAID2 on April 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

AnonymousDrivel on April 18, 2012 at 6:22 PM

The problem with a lazy electorate is that they have to be able to filter the truth out of the BS, distractions and outright lies the media keeps feeding them. That takes effort (well worth it) and many are just too damned lazy to use their filters. I would be happy if they would just use their capacity to recognize JDLR (Just Doesn’t Look Right). At least that would point them toward the truth and from there, they’re on their own.

swinia sutki on April 19, 2012 at 6:49 AM

angryed on April 18, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Sometimes, when you have to put yourself through college and can’t get foreigner student loans and don’t have AA to help you get into Harvard, it taks longer to get through college.

You’re really quite elitist for someone who “claims” to be a conservative…

I ain’t bitin’.

ladyingray on April 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM

It took me ten years to get my bachelor’s degree; I worked full time and put myself through college (and I was damned proud of myself when I graduated).

pain train on April 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Does anyone know when it was that Boehner “checked out”?
He needs to go to the golf course with Nobama and stay there.

Boehner is still running his want ad in the DC area paper…

“WANTED: A pair of cohones – new or used.”

Michael73501 on April 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM