Video: Beckel did a bad, bad thing

posted at 8:41 am on April 17, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I missed this when it happened, but it didn’t take long to catch up to it on Twitter afterward.  Bob Beckel got into an argument with former Tea Party activist Jennifer Stefano over the effectiveness of Head Start spending during a break on Sean Hannity’s Great American Panel and didn’t pay attention to the stage manager when the show went back on the air.  That’s one reason — but only one reason — why Beckel offered a great American epithet as viewers returned (NSFW, obviously):

Beckel at first refused to apologize — in fact, he refused to acknowledge that the show had gone back on the air for about a full minute.  After realization slowly dawned on Beckel, he finally offered a grudging apology, but then proceeded to blame Sean Hannity for not warning him that the show was coming back on the air.  Hannity, incredulous, says that he figured that Beckel would have had a clue when the director began counting backwards from five.

After all, that’s the typical “head start” that most television performers understand.

I’ve been in broadcasting for over eight years, and Beckel has at least that much experience.  Professionals don’t use that kind of language in the studio, and not just because one never really knows when the microphones are hot.  Controlling one’s speech is a discipline, a habit, and so is the use of F-bombs and other profanity.  Any bad habits one has will eventually come out on the air, and this is a prime example.  Hannity graciously insisted he would defend Beckel if Fox tried to fire him, but anyone this unprofessional — and ungracious — really should be reconsidered for their future on-air assignments.

Jennifer Stefano rips Beckel toward the end of the clip for making the argument personal, so be sure to watch it all the way through, but that’s not the end of Beckel’s embarrassment.  As Andrew Coulson reported over two years ago, even Barack Obama’s HHS agrees with Stefano that Head Start doesn’t work (via Derek Hunter):

What’s so damning is that this study used the best possible method to review the program: It looked at a nationally representative sample of 5,000 children who were randomly assigned to either the Head Start (“treatment”) group or to the non-Head Start (“control”) group.

Random assignment is the “gold standard” of medical and social-science research: It gives investigators confidence that the treatment and control groups are essentially identical in every respect except their access to Head Start. So if eventual test performances differ, we can be pretty sure that the difference was caused by the program. No previous study of Head Start used this approach on a nationally representative sample of children.

When the researchers gave both groups of students 44 different academic tests at the end of the first grade, only two seemed to show even marginally significant advantages for the Head Start group. And even those apparent advantages vanished after standard statistical controls were applied.

In fact, not a single one of the 114 tests administered to first graders — of academics, socio-emotional development, health care/health status and parenting practice — showed a reliable, statistically significant effect from participating in Head Start.

Some advocates of the program have acknowledged these dramatic results, but suggest that it’s not necessarily Head Start’s fault if its effects vanish during kindergarten and the first grade — perhaps our K-12 schools are to blame.

But that’s beside the point. Even if it’s true, it means that Head Start will be of no lasting value to children until we fix our elementary and secondary schools. Until then, money spent on Head Start will continue to be wasted.

Why did Beckel get personal, instead of sticking to facts and figures as Stefano advised?  Because he would lose on facts and figures.  All Beckel has is bluster and profanity.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

If you define “success” as a statistical blip, that ought to put to lie the idea of *your* intelligence as well.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I judge success through the kindergarten teachers I know who can recognize ALL of the children who have went to any preschool within the first couple days of schoool.

Maybe in other areas of the country their Head Start Programs aren’t as effective, but where I live, they are.

My question to you: Do you believe preschool is a complete waste of time?

guera on April 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Beckel plays a character on TV, and gets paid well for it. Fox doesnt’ need or want a “reasonable” lib as a contributer. Look at the difference between Juan and Beckel. Juan = boring. Beckel is the crazy fat uncle that everyone like to beat up on, and makes libs look like the moronic blowhards they really are. Everyone wins. Whether he is a tool in real life, or just plays one on TV – it works for Fox and thus it works (and pays well) for Beckel.

Hueydriver on April 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM

itsspideyman on April 17, 2012 at 9:28 AM

What comes out of your mouth is usually a pretty good indication of what’s in your heart and mind.

What goes into a man’s mouth does not make him ‘unclean,’ but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him ‘unclean.‘” Matt. 15:11

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Fortune cookie wisdom: “Your tongue is your ambassador”

Perhaps one reason Mr. Beckel reacted the way he did, is that he has known kids that benefited from Head Start. For all the short comings of Head Start, I think it has been a worthwhile benefit for poor kids. As a public health nurse I did “well-child” evaluations for poor preschool children for many years, and those kids in Head Start (the preschool most readily available to the poor) generally showed greater social/cognitive development and school readiness skills than those not in any preschool.

Wendy on April 17, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Are we talking about the F bomb or him admitting to voter fraud…live on the air a few years ago?

SouthernGent on April 17, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I saw Beckel do this yet again. Sean tried to smooth it over even after Beckel blamed him. LOL. I expect that Bob will have a few days off the air to think about this, at the least.

Philly on April 17, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Bob Beckel… all class… all the time.

VietVet_Dave on April 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM

My question to you: Do you believe preschool is a complete waste of time?

guera on April 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I believe at this point in time that government-mandated school attendance is an utter waste of time AND taxpayer dollars, period. It doesn’t build knowledge and character so much as it reveals it, or the lack thereof. The Department of Education is one of several cabinet-level departments, including Homeland Security and Energy, among others, I would summarily gut if I were in any position to do so.

/FringeRant

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Keep beckel but, my Lord, Fox should get rid of Sally Kohn.

Alibali on April 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Anybody got a link to the Bill O’Reilly cursing meltdown video? lol

stingray9813 on April 17, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I can’t find it. F’ING THING SUCKS!!!

Doughboy on April 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Wendy on April 17, 2012 at 9:33 AM

The plural of “anecdote” is not “data.” The study cited in this post belies the conclusions you drew from your anecdotal evidence.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I watched Donald Trump’s Celbrity Apprentice this past Sunday (yes it’s stupid entertainment, so sue me). This contestent named Lisa is a stand up comic. Apparently she’s smarter than everybody in the world and likes to scream profanities. The current object of her scorn is some supermodel, who actually seems nice and at the very least reasonably competent (as far as I can tell from a tv show). While Lisa is ranting at the model (whose name escapes me), Penn Jillette and Clay Aiken are just sitting there. I don’t mean in stunned silence, They were well used to this behavior. I mean as in: I don’t want to get involved and please oh olease don’t yell at me crazy lady. Supermodel leaves crying, Comedian declares, loudly, that every agrees with her. Jillette doesn’t want to take sides, but does go out to listen. Aiken thinks Lisa is jealous of her beauty, so it’s understandable.

Draw your own conclusions, but I’m guessing they’re all Democrats.

Fenris on April 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM

portlandon on April 17, 2012 at 9:24 AM

How the f**k would I know?

MadisonConservative on April 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Beckel is such a liberal d**k that of course he’s going to make it personal, its the liberalism stupid. Hope he can recover but even now Beckels not looking for rehab.

Speakup on April 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Draw your own conclusions, but I’m guessing they’re all Democrats.

Fenris on April 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Penn Jillette is a neo-anarchist Libertarian voter, as is his business partner Teller.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 9:39 AM

My question to you: Do you believe preschool is a complete waste of time?

guera on April 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Depends on the parents and the child.

Not to show off, but our eldest is above average in intelligence. He never went to preschool and has only been attending kindergarten for the last half of the school year. The only reason that’s happening is so that I can maintain some sanity – three other children younger than him… all at home too. It works because mommy works at his elementary school.

Other than learning some socialization rules, kindergarten has been useless for him educationally.

We homeschool. We’re involved parents. We read to our children. We encourage and foster learning.

There are many parents who do not. They expect the state to teach their child everything. They expect the preschool and school system to teach their child. Learning often effectively stops when the child comes home.

Some children are also very bright, some are average and some below average. Some might need the structure of a school setting, others not. It takes a good parent to figure out what works and what’s needed as a family and for each child.

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Anybody got a link to the Bill O’Reilly cursing meltdown video? lol

stingray9813 on April 17, 2012 at 9:30

Aaah, yes! Still dang near the funniest minute-and-a-half in television history.

“We’ll do it LIVE!!!!”

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM

What does that mean, “to play us out?”

KingGold on April 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Bob Beckel is a moron of the first order. He wants to pontificate here and on The Five constantly, but all he does is worship at the altar of Liberalism constantly and spew BS. If they ever need a DNA sample from him they can get it from the lip-prints on Obama’s backside.

PJ Emeritus on April 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I have to turn the channel everytime he speaks. He and that obnoxious jamu with her insane smile and never shutting up. I can’t stand them. So if they want to drive me away from fox, keep it up.
At least the blonde dem, Powers, sometimes is able to look at things from both sides. However, she did date weiner – so I’m not really sure about her judgement!

On another note, wouldn’t Britt Hume or Lou Dobbs make a marvelous Press secretary?
Boy, they would make carney look like a dufus – oh forgot he already looks like a dufus.

Bambi on April 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

What does that mean, “to play us out?”

KingGold on April 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Teehee!

:D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM

With Liberals, we know it’s all feelings — they are outraged at the thought of discussing human need using something as cold and unfeeling as reason, or God help us, actual facts. Hence Beckel’s outburst — he meant Stefano’s opinion on Head Start was an outrageous violation of his feelings — he wanted to feel that Head Start was doing wonders, and Stefano wasn’t talking @#$+*ing properly about this.

Scriptor on April 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Can’t Fox find any reasonable liberals/dems to be on their shows……wait, crickets….there are none….beckel is another misogynist slob and fits the party platform well…..beckel et al make my ears bleed so I have done the wise thing, stop listening…and yes that includes you mr president……..

crosshugger on April 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Some of these guys … to think what they could’ve become.

Gah, it must be lonely.

Cleombrotus on April 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Keep beckel but, my Lord, Fox should get rid of Sally Kohn.

Alibali on April 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM

What, you don’t like amazonian, buck-toothed lesbians?

glcinpdx on April 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Draw your own conclusions, but I’m guessing they’re all Democrats.

Fenris on April 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Ya, you’re right, not a democrat. I see he’s fiscally a conservative, and compassionately a squish. After all was said and done, they all agreed Lisa was a good project manager.

Fenris on April 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Beckel plays a character on TV, and gets paid well for it.

True enough though I prefer Kirsten Powers. I don’t agree with much that she says but she is civil and pretty easy to look at.

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM

In 1974 me and a two-year year old friend(i was 3 1/2) were expelled from the Western Ave. Montessori school in Flossmoor, Il. ‘Betsy’ supposedly had no sense of order-and the very young ALT…well the teachers were trying to force a square peg into a round hole.
Last time i heard, Betsy was a Ph.D in a scientific field. As for me-well-I’m me. LoL
Fast forward to the late 1990′s-early nothings. My now oldest niece attended a Montessori in VA-and thrived. I still loathe Montessori-but for her…it worked. She’s a high school freshman who’s in AP everything
Not all kids are going to be helped by preschool.
I really don’t think it mattered where me and my little friend would’ve attend preschool. The end result would have been the same.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I know Beckel is a liberal and can be mean ….still like the grouchy man for some reason.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Fenris on April 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM

The most diehard atheists you’ll ever meet, Penn and Teller. But at least they’re not douchebags about it. Penn was genuinely moved by a gift he had received of a Gideon Bible once. He said he didn’t believe what was in it, but he realized it was a gift given out of genuine concern and love.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM

If you really can’t define what that reason is, it might be a good time to re-examine your feelings for the man.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM

My question to you: Do you believe preschool is a complete waste of time?

guera on April 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

If you don’t follow up with more advanced work for those already prepared for it, yes.

Most schools don’t do much more than move kids from one competency level to the next(when they manage even that). So coming in with a higher level just means you gain less. And it can also lead to loss of interest since it seems so boring.

Sadly, I think preschool would help most those who are NOT going to public school next. The private schools I am aware of TEND to put more focus on the relative advancement so a child that comes in at a higher level will leave at a higher level. Not always, but shouldn’t that be the goal?

OBQuiet on April 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Not defending Beckel — wouldn’t p!ss on him if he were on fire — but I thought live shows were always on a seven second or (something) tape delay. I know it’s cable and the FCC can’t fine it for language, but I’m surprised Fox News doesn’t have the delay, just to protect its brand.

TXUS on April 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Liberals love to play the game that they are above the fray and above such pettiness but when the cameras are off or they think no one is listening – the mask slips or they take it off completely.

The other day one of my liberal friends had a thread up on Facebook about healthcare and a few comments into his post he took his mask off. He went on what was effectively a tirade – anti-war, blaming Bush, making excuses, stating ‘right-wingers’ just spread propaganda, etc. It was out of character for what I’ve normally seen from him.

They can’t help it and believing they think or feel otherwise is a mistake.

catmman on April 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Nobody cares, you astral-plane dwelling Obama voter.

KingGold on April 17, 2012 at 9:19 AM

So much hate inside one person. Typical RINO/McMittens worshiper.

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I guess I think he’s funny. He says the craziest things.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I guess I think he’s funny. He says the craziest things.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Chalk that up to a difference of opinion, then. I blanch everytime I see him, and he says the stupidest crap that reminds me of my dad’s oldest [very liberal Chicago-dwelling] brother. And I do not make that comparison kindly.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Why is this newsworthy…or even post-worthy?
Who gives a flying five…four…three…two…

verbaluce on April 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Bingo.

And there you go.

Just as I noted. It works for some, others not.

I went to nursery school and preschool too. I don’t remember much of any of that time and I couldn’t tell whether it was worth it or not, though I suspect that since my parents were involved, it probably wouldn’t have made much of a difference had I not gone.

As to my future/present… well, other family dynamics often play a role in how a child turns out and what they do with their life… not just education or intellect. I’m a lazy bum – though my wife rejects that reflective assesment. ;)

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I guess I think he’s funny. He says the craziest things.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Sounds like why my wife listens to Michael Savage at night sometimes before bed. I just roll my eyes and roll over.

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Have you ever seen Beckel appear on Red Eye? Some really funny stuff when he appears.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Red Eye is not live, and is not on during prime time. Both points which further inflame my opinion of Beckel viz-a-vis the F-bomb debacle.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

The plural of “anecdote” is not “data.”

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Now that is a phrase I’ll make good use of when arguing with libs. Are you quoting or did you just coin it?

Lost in Jersey on April 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Which is all well and good. But what use are warm and fuzzies if you tolerate or even encourage those lacking them? Well I’m sure this Lisa/comedian and Bob Beckel do have feelings, when it comes to their own personal interests.

Fenris on April 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

When either Beckel or Colmes is on FNC, I turn the channel. They represent my favorite bumper sticker: ‘If it weren’t for double standards, liberals wouldn’t have any.’

mindthegap on April 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Professionals in any business atmosphere control their language and a true gentleman would control the use of profanity whenever he is engaged in conversation with a lady. Add that to the fact that this man attempted to blame someone else for what came out of his own mouth and you’ve got the makings of an idiot.

lynncgb on April 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I keep wondering WHY Hannity continues to invite Beckel back on his show? Everyone knows Beckel is a liberal hack and when he is there on the show, he shows contempt to those who do not believe his liberal bull$hit. Last night is just another example when a liberal doesn’t get their way, they fall back and attack on a personal level or end up dropping F-Bombs. In this case, he blames Hannity for his own mistake.

Beckel is such a Jackass. Hey Bob, if YOU are the voice of reason for the democrat party, I have faith in America that oblama will be on the unemployment line come November.

jpmotu on April 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Red Eye is not live, and is not on during prime time.

There is a thing called DVR.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Beckel needs kicked off Fox, what does he bring ? He’s a bloviating, blubbering, fatso who has 0 common sense, pretends he’s Catholic but actually works for the devil.

williampeck1958 on April 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Red Eye is not live, and is not on during prime time.

There is a thing called DVR.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Which has absolutely nothing to do with Bob Beckel’s apparent lack of intelligence and decorum during a live prime time show. “Beckel debacle…” Now that has a nice ring to it.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Well, there’s a difference between blowing it like Beckel did, and intentionally flipping off the global audience like that creature did during the Super-Bowl halftime show. Intent should count for something with the FCC.

People are human and Beckel made a mistake.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Lost in Jersey on April 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I can’t even remember where I first heard it. It’s particularly appropros to arguing with libs who like to use argumentum ad nauseam or non-sequitur.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

My memory is long. I remember when Bobby said this little gem.

HT: Michelle Malkin

Bob Beckel appeared on Fox News this morning to sneer at the nationwide event. He derided tax revolters in Montana, joking that “It was a good thing it wasn’t a vodka party, because I guarantee you they all had guns.” Bigoted Beltway jerk. Beckel also claimed the Tea Parties were “nothing new” and recycled the debunked Playboy website report (deleted from the site) spreading false and illogical rumors that the grass-roots movement is directed from the GOP, national tax groups, and CNBC.

MontanaMmmm on April 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Red Eye is not live, and is not on during prime time.

There is a thing called DVR.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

You could always show off your intelligence by successfully programming your VCR :-)

(And no cheating with VCR Plus)

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

People are human and Beckel made a mistake.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

The FCC only has jurisdiction over broadcast networks. FNC is cable, ergo viewer outrage must be vented directly.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

(And no cheating with VCR Plus)

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Heh. I didn’t even know they still made those things!

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM

This is not the first time beckel has cursed on tv, its completely evident that this lib-loser is out of control, goes to show how the left acts when they dont get their way.

jaboba on April 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Gutfeld had some amazing comments yesterday on The Five, regarding where social networking is going. The others laughed and called him crazy, but he was deadly serious when he said that the world was “going to turn into one big throbbing brain,” with a deadpan delivery.

It was interesting to watch it sail mostly over the others’ heads, and Guilfoyle then got annoyed with Gutfeld for purposely sticking his head into her shot, but Gutfeld is intelligent as heck. I like the guy.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM

There is a thing called DVR.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

(And no cheating with VCR Plus)

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Since I was apparently misunderstood, let me clarify:

I watch Red Eye all the time when Beckel’s not on the panel. The fact that he cussed on a LIVE, PRIME TIME show makes me think far less of him than if he had cursed on the Red Eye panel. It’s unprofessional, to say the least.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Wendy on April 17, 2012 at 9:33 AM

At best, any federal government program, might be 50% effective on a good day, but that’s besides the point. While your work is worthwhile, it should not be the business of the federal government to take money from its citizens, or borrow it from the unborn, to finance social programs that could otherwise be funded at local and state levels. The collective federal government of the U.S. has to be the most inefficient organization on the planet.

cajunpatriot on April 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I agree it was unprofessional but it seem like a genuine mistake. He apologized.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Beckel is on fox right now looking very hungover lol. No mention of last night so far.

nswider on April 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM

You realize he is a recovering addict right? Not funny.

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Which inflames me even further. You think a conservative would EVER be given that kind of consideration? Even on FNC? Come on!

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Bingo.

And there you go.

Just as I noted. It works for some, others not.

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Right, (not the part about you being a lazy bum—I don’t know ‘ya;) The success of a person in life doesn’t boil down to one year of life when they are 4. Every year of childhood is equally important. But there are lots of studies that cite the formative years as most crucial (thinking of the feral kids who could never learn to speak as older children).

In a nutshell, preschool is a positive first step towards becoming a literate and educated person. I don’t see the down side. I know many here think it is a complete waste of money, I simply disagree.

guera on April 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

You realize he is a recovering addict right? Not funny.

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I’ve known lots of dry drunks in my life who have been total a$$holes. Beckel is lucky to have a job, let alone such a prominent one.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Still not as bad as when he accused Wolfowitz of “saluting two flags” (ie US/Israel) when on Hannity’s radio show during the Bush administration.

Ben Hur on April 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

He didn’t apologize to her for cursing her, or for acting like a two year old that wasn’t getting his way. He apologized ONLY after he realized his job was on the line.
He should be fired.

SgtRed on April 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I would hope so.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Heh. I didn’t even know they still made those things!

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM

VCRs actually still can be quite useful. They are great for making digital copies of music. You can tape a live show and then run RCA cables to your computer/stereo/whatever, and they make perfect digital HiFi copies with no added noise or signal loss – so then you’ve got a great-quality CD of whatever audio you just taped off cable. A lot of low-budget bands still use them as poor-man’s DAT (digital sudio tape) machines.

The older ones from the mid-’90s are also surprisingly good at bootlegging stuff off of cable and then allowing transfer to DVD. (No copy protection ;-) )

I would advise anyone who has a lot of old videotapes to go out and buy a VCR – even a cheapo – if you can find it, because they’re about done… and you are going to need a pretty fresh one in good working order to transfer your memories off of VHS. I’m in the middle of that right now. Best bet is to find a upper-end Sony off of eBay – research it and find one of their last upper-end models.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

…I simply disagree.

guera on April 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

So noted. I wish more people around here would use verbiage like that.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

5…4…3…2…

advanced math is hard for a liberal…

PatriotRider on April 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I would hope so.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

That’s not what I asked. Do you think they would? Honestly? If a conservative were in Beckel’s shoes right now, do you think we’d all be patting him/her on the back and saying, “That’s okay, it’s just a mistake?” Or are we giving the Beckel debacle a pass precisely because Beckel’s a lib and we don’t expect any better from him in the deepest cockles of our hearts?

It’ll happen again, believe me. This wasn’t the first time and it won’t be the last. It’s just how libs are.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Hannity continues to defend Beckel, which calls his judgement into question.

Moose Drool on April 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Hannity continues to defend Beckel, which calls his judgement into question.

Moose Drool on April 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

There’s a laundry list of reasons to question Sean Hannity’s judgement. I personally think Hannity’s being selfish here; he’d hate to lose Beckel as a panelist.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

If a conservative guest cussed I think they would give him a second chance.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Taught me something new!

Hmm, I wonder if the FCC should cover cable, as well. Otherwise, does it have a reason to exist, as broadcast networks are probably the minority segment of viewership?

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I would’ve been better served by repeating Kdg again rather than spending more time in pre-k. I was one of the youngest in my class and and was ‘different’-so another year would’ve benefited me. Instead, I was ‘socially promoted’ and it off to the races I went.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM

If a conservative guest cussed I think they would give him a second chance.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Given that conservatives have been disinvited from FNC for far less, and the fact that it may be a cold day in Hell before a conservative drops an F-bomb on live prime time TV, we may never have sufficient proof of which of us is correct.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

The FCC should never have existed as a licensing agency in the first place. The reason it does exist is because the government stepped in to make sure that broadcast signals, exclusively radio waves in the early days, weren’t impinging on each other by being too close together in frequency.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Conservative pundits constantly hurt their credibility supporting dirtbags like beckel and juan williams. hannity, who I consider the Elmer Gantry of conservatism, constantly gives a forum and credibility to leftwing propagandists and republican subversives. His show does more damage than good because the “true believers” don’t have to be convinced of anything watching his show and when the squishy’s tune in they see the nonsense liberals spew and the traitorous bs of people like nicole wallace given equal time and credence. I don’t trust or like hannity, he’s a dimwit and I seriously suspect his act is exactly that, a money making act. He’s married to a liberal anchorwoman and he constantly says people like beckel are great people (he gives beckel credit for the community service he did for his crimes as proof he is some incredible humanitarian). I have no doubt a bbq in bill bennetts backyard looks like a dnc leader meeting and laura ingraham recently said she’s been to the nasty hillary rosen’s house on numerous occassions and what a wonderful woman she is. What scares me is when even Mark Levin starts saying how wonderful people like beckel are. The truth is these people are the direct idiological descendants of the people who put their fellow citizens on trains to the gulags and concentrations camps and I have no doubt people like beckel would accept a similar job with great enthusiasm.

peacenprosperity on April 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Can you give me an example of a conservative on Fox News being fired for far less? I can’t think of any.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

As someone who gets tortured by the idiot liberals in my family at EVERY SINGLE HOLIDAY, I’ve had lots of experience with how they react when they cannot refute an argument.

They drop F-bombs and insult you.

Socialist views cannot be argued factually or logically the way conservatism can, it’s strictly emotional. Which is why they react this way.

wildcat72 on April 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I have that holiday problem too. I have a liberal sister, actually she married into liberalism, who won’t accept the published numbers on abortions. She tosses her hair back and says “I just don’t believe those numbers”. End of discussion.

slickwillie2001 on April 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

New technology calls for new missions.

I propose that the FCC be re-tasked: The new mission will be to make sure that texting-zombies don’t collide while walking with their heads down and their thumbs a’tapping.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Powers would make the panel WAY TOO HOT to pay attention to what they are saying.

Wagthatdog on April 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

He should be fired…not for what he said, but because
he is a mean, nasty piece of work.

lilium479 on April 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

To any one who thinks he shouldn’t be fired, drop the f-bomb here and see how long you last……..

angrymike on April 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Depends if Ed is on vacation or not.

slickwillie2001 on April 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Eh, keep him. Hannity and The Five aren’t news shows, they’re entertainment shows, and I find Beckel to be very entertaining even though I disagree with him 90% of the time.

LukeinNE on April 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM

slickwillie2001 on April 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Did Beckel say “I just don’t believe those numbers” when the stage manager was counting down the live go-to?

/KABOOM

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Latest texting sightings (I keep a little list of each new thing I see people do while texting):

Two kids skateboarding down the street while texting (Darwin Award nomination).

The strangest new addition: Karaoke-texting. Saw a 25-ish fella belting out “Try a Little Tenderness” by Otis Redding…. reach into his pocket mid-verse, pull his phone out and check it – while continuing to perform.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 10:38 AM

LukeinNE on April 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Actually, they’re commentary shows, which fact says nothing about the gross impropriety of dropping an F-bomb on live prime time television.

gryphon202 on April 17, 2012 at 10:38 AM

It’s time for Fox to part ways with Beckel. They need him over at “The View”.

jacques.indabaux on April 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

OK, enough OT from me.

Beckel’s a big ol’ toad sitting there. He made a big ‘ol toad noise on live TV.

Stuff happens ;-)

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Beckel is the ultimate vulgarian. A few years ago he suggested that a person on Crossfire kiss his you-know-what. And now he blames Hannity for not stopping him? Like all lefties he’s unable to take responsibility.

arand on April 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

When Beckel’s on I specifically do not watch, whatever show. I discovered a long time ago that man has nothing to say I am interested in.

TerryW on April 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Beckel is a clown, a white Whoopi Goldberg and a perfect icon for Ailes of the Soros-driven revectoring of Fox News into an entertainment channel.

slickwillie2001 on April 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Wow. It’s not the vulgarity, you know. Yes, that is definitely inappropriate, but that is just a symptom, folks.

Beckel illustrates complete contempt the left has for anyone who disagrees with them. The facts don’t matter. Look how emotional he is. Is that rational?

dogsoldier on April 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I don’t know who this fat a$$ is, nor do I care. It’s not germane to the larger point. which is this:

In fact, not a single one of the 114 tests administered to first graders — of academics, socio-emotional development, health care/health status and parenting practice — showed a reliable, statistically significant effect from participating in Head Start.

If the random sampling shows no improvemnet, then what are we to say about the overall program?

Uh, yah! That’s the whole point of getting the Feds out of our schools. I thought there was supposed to be separation of church and State?

Ladies and gents that is THE point. Once these sacred cows are put out in the public pastures to graze on the communal grass, you can’t get rid of them!

And it’s why we must reject the “laws” that continue to turn our money over to these doomed to fail Fed programs.

OkieDoc on April 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM

So who’s going to be watching “The Four” this evening?
radjah shelduck on April 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Oh, snap!

KS Rex on April 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Fired for saying the F word on CABLE. Oh, please, let’s get real. No way. Beckel was stupid to say that it was Hannity’s fault. As the article said, all the commentators should consider that the microphone is hot at all times when they are on the air.

SC.Charlie on April 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Oh my gosh, I just watched the tape of Big Mouth Bob.
I saw him a couple months ago and was wondering when he would implode. He is imploding because he has absolutely nothing else.

ORconservative on April 17, 2012 at 10:50 AM

A group of youngsters Cajun-dancing to zydeco alongside the old folks, everyone moving in a circle, tapping away with their thumbs. via: Cane-Loader

Ha! That would have been funny to see. Randol’s in Lafayette?

Do they still film there live (Saturday afternoons iirc)?

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM