Video: Beckel did a bad, bad thing

posted at 8:41 am on April 17, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I missed this when it happened, but it didn’t take long to catch up to it on Twitter afterward.  Bob Beckel got into an argument with former Tea Party activist Jennifer Stefano over the effectiveness of Head Start spending during a break on Sean Hannity’s Great American Panel and didn’t pay attention to the stage manager when the show went back on the air.  That’s one reason — but only one reason — why Beckel offered a great American epithet as viewers returned (NSFW, obviously):

Beckel at first refused to apologize — in fact, he refused to acknowledge that the show had gone back on the air for about a full minute.  After realization slowly dawned on Beckel, he finally offered a grudging apology, but then proceeded to blame Sean Hannity for not warning him that the show was coming back on the air.  Hannity, incredulous, says that he figured that Beckel would have had a clue when the director began counting backwards from five.

After all, that’s the typical “head start” that most television performers understand.

I’ve been in broadcasting for over eight years, and Beckel has at least that much experience.  Professionals don’t use that kind of language in the studio, and not just because one never really knows when the microphones are hot.  Controlling one’s speech is a discipline, a habit, and so is the use of F-bombs and other profanity.  Any bad habits one has will eventually come out on the air, and this is a prime example.  Hannity graciously insisted he would defend Beckel if Fox tried to fire him, but anyone this unprofessional — and ungracious — really should be reconsidered for their future on-air assignments.

Jennifer Stefano rips Beckel toward the end of the clip for making the argument personal, so be sure to watch it all the way through, but that’s not the end of Beckel’s embarrassment.  As Andrew Coulson reported over two years ago, even Barack Obama’s HHS agrees with Stefano that Head Start doesn’t work (via Derek Hunter):

What’s so damning is that this study used the best possible method to review the program: It looked at a nationally representative sample of 5,000 children who were randomly assigned to either the Head Start (“treatment”) group or to the non-Head Start (“control”) group.

Random assignment is the “gold standard” of medical and social-science research: It gives investigators confidence that the treatment and control groups are essentially identical in every respect except their access to Head Start. So if eventual test performances differ, we can be pretty sure that the difference was caused by the program. No previous study of Head Start used this approach on a nationally representative sample of children.

When the researchers gave both groups of students 44 different academic tests at the end of the first grade, only two seemed to show even marginally significant advantages for the Head Start group. And even those apparent advantages vanished after standard statistical controls were applied.

In fact, not a single one of the 114 tests administered to first graders — of academics, socio-emotional development, health care/health status and parenting practice — showed a reliable, statistically significant effect from participating in Head Start.

Some advocates of the program have acknowledged these dramatic results, but suggest that it’s not necessarily Head Start’s fault if its effects vanish during kindergarten and the first grade — perhaps our K-12 schools are to blame.

But that’s beside the point. Even if it’s true, it means that Head Start will be of no lasting value to children until we fix our elementary and secondary schools. Until then, money spent on Head Start will continue to be wasted.

Why did Beckel get personal, instead of sticking to facts and figures as Stefano advised?  Because he would lose on facts and figures.  All Beckel has is bluster and profanity.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Fired for saying the F word on CABLE.

Yeah I can think of alot worst things on cable television. If one thinks Bob Beckel is offensive …..I’m afraid to know how they will react to anything on MTV.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I would’ve been better served by repeating Kdg again rather than spending more time in pre-k. I was one of the youngest in my class and and was ‘different’-so another year would’ve benefited me. Instead, I was ‘socially promoted’ and it off to the races I went.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Ah… good old social promotion. Who says learning matters in public education? ;)

I have a cousin who was held back to retake kindergarten – she and I would have been in the same grade. Kindergarten is the grade to do it. Possibly, maybe, I would have benefited too. I was one of the youngest in my grade as well. My wife and I initially threw around the idea of holding our son back from going to kindergarten this year. The dilemma being that he’s highly intelligent – too intelligent for kindergarten – but maturity-wise, at or just below age level. Scholastically he’d probably be eligible to skip two grades, but he’d not fit in what-so-ever if we did.

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The reason Beckel reacted so badly is because Jennifer Stefano shredded him with facts and logic, (which shocked him) he is accustomed to his personal attacks being tolerated and his misstatements, for the most part, going unchallenged on The Five…

Oracleforhire on April 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Yesterday on The Five he flashed a fake check saying the millionaires paid zero taxes. I guess when you deal in broad strokes there may be some bit of truth in there somewhere. Mr. Beckel is the kind of Democrat that is easy to refute.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM

What Beckel said was wrong.
But, many say it. However, conservatives dress it up in its popular acronym.

It still hurts my ears. I am glad for the outrage against it. That said, even our beloved Sarah Palin references it.

Double standard?

balkanmom on April 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Beckel should be fired!

jqc1970 on April 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Slow Joe Biden was right–it’s a big F’in deal.

Hey Bob, tell us, does Head Start teach little boys to mind their manners?

Steve Z on April 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM

A) Silly
B) Who cares

I still like Beckel more than most libs. He may be wrong on most things but at least he’s not a mealy mouthed wuss like a Kos or Ezra Klein or whoever.

Dash on April 17, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Having had two children in Head Start, I agree with the report,..

it’s a waste of time..

My daughter was skipped ahead a year in Head Start, because it was no challenge at all for her, and she’s mostly an A student now in the 7th grade.. my son, he did ok, but had issues with attention deficit so it did him no good at all. He’s above average too, though has issues with science (boring to him).. myself..

there was no Head Start in the 60′s.. I skipped kindergarten, and started first grade knowing how to write my name, and count to ten and that was it. Same learning issues my son has, but they didn’t medicate for those then, didn’t even have a name for it. Flunked a year, but was reading at a college level by the 5th grade..

I see no benefit to Head Start,.. none.. not with any children I know.

You want to know why parents defend it?

It’s free day care for working parents.. they get their children watched for free in a safe enviroment,.. that is why parents fight for it tooth and nail..

and that is the only reason..

just talk to a room full of head start parents, they won’t lie about it.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM

He is, because he’s mostly so hyperbolic, it’s almost nonsensical,.. not quite,.. well, yes it is a lie… and he knows that, just uses the old fashioned scream at them till they are afraid to say anything tactic used by so many democrats these days.

If they keep him, it should only be because he’s so clownish, he’s as easy to pull apart as a cat toy.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

The interesting thing, to me, is how people are swayed by either anecdotes or data. A person will either put more stock in data points and studies that can be proven or they “just know” because they or someone they know can point to things they have seen in their own life as “proof” of something.

The facts of the matter are, kids generally grow up and learn to read and write, some better than others. If you send them to school, eventually most kids will learn at least the bare minimum to get by in life.

The question is, what can we do to help kids gather the most skills and have the best educational outcome? Many people feel that starting them earlier, just has to help. Actually, there is no evidence that in the long run, any pre-school anywhere of any kind really does much to change the eventual educational outcome for students. That is because they student’s developmental readiness for learning has so much more to do with how well they do in kindergarten and first grade than whether or not they went to pre-school, or even kindergarten. So you can have a child who is ready to read at 4 years old really take off in pre-school and seem super intelligent. But generally it has nothing at all to do with intelligence, they are just ready to decode written language earlier than some of the other kids. But, by the age of 8 virtually every child can be taught to read with almost no hassle, with about 20 hours of phonics instruction. Unfortunately for the 8 year-old who has been in school since 3, he has already learned that he isn’t good at reading. If we waited until 8 to start teaching reading, there would be a drastic decline in reading disorders and other educational disasters.

But we don’t because everyone just “knows” that if there is a problem, you can make it better by working on it longer.

Lily on April 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Fox News should drop Beckel from all shows. He’s an obnoxious idiot that never provides a positive argument, but simply repeatedely says the same things about Mitt Romney. He needs to go from ‘The Five’ before I wear out my remote control in either muting or switching channels anytime he talks. I am also weary of Hannity always having a counterpoint person on for every topic. He needs to go full bore on his conservative bent.

Now that we have this problem solved, let’s move on to the next one.

lhuffman34 on April 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Now, what’s the best way to send Shepard Smith packing?

cicerone on April 17, 2012 at 9:08 AM

What’s wrong with Shep? He is sometimes overly snarky but so are most of the commenters here yet nobody leaves on their own. (sometimes they are removed for using Star Wars characters for certain purposes)

platypus on April 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I never understand this whining over a profanity. People act like they never heard it before. I agree it wasn’t professional, but to act like it’s such a big deal is ludicrous. The ideas that come out of the left are far more profane and vulgar than a word. Keep your attention where it belongs.

tyketto on April 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Dash on April 17, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Let’s add Alan Colmes as well.

FlaMurph on April 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM

A group of youngsters Cajun-dancing to zydeco alongside the old folks, everyone moving in a circle, tapping away with their thumbs. via: Cane-Loader
Ha! That would have been funny to see. Randol’s in Lafayette?

Do they still film there live (Saturday afternoons iirc)?

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I lived in Lafayette for 8 years, and Randol’s was my favorite place to eat. I used to tell friends if they wanted to go where the natives went to eat in Lafayette, it was Randol’s.

itsspideyman on April 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM

itsspideyman on April 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Yeah. There are some other good, authentic local restuarants in Lafayette, but Randols is certainly the place to go. Live music with a dance floor and a real, rustic feel.

Instead, most people probably think Prejean’s is the place to go. I used to work as the prep cook at a Cajun buffet restaurant that was next door to Prejeans, heard Rush advertising for Prejeans on the radio (and mispronounce it – absolutely funny… yeah, he visits there all right) and ate there once. Over the top, overdone, over priced.

Sometimes I wish I was living back in the Lafayette area… except for the drivers…

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I wouldn’t have been happy-but honestly-graduating in ’89 or even ’90 would have been better for me than graduating in ’88.
My son had problems as well-but when it was suggested that he be put in special ed-me and my ex fought back. After hearing about MY experiences in the ‘system’-the school backed off.
Spawn graduates from high school in a month and a few day…with honors.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Can’t this arrogant blob buy some clothes that actually fit him? He always looks like the shirt is going to explode.

AND would someone please take the pen out of Sean Hannity’s hand????!!!!! It’s like his BINKY.

IlonaE on April 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

We miss the point of this whole situation if we concentrate on Beckel. The real problem lies with Hannity’s willingness to keep this brainless booze hound around. Beckel knows he’s the token liberal so he can spout off any democrat talking point he wants without any thought given to facts. As long as he amuses Hannity, he’s safe.

On the Five he poses as the senior statesman because he’s older than the rest of the cast. Even though he gets his clock cleaned regularly, he keeps it up because he revels in his imagined status as the smart liberal.

He thinks his dyed hair and Larry King suspenders add gravitas to his blather. Instead, it’s just confirmation of his desperate grasping for youth and his being too fat to wear a suit jacket.

walkingboss on April 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I did research on the Headstart Programs using an 8 year period. Head start students learned faster initially, but by the 3rd grade the spread was equal; i.e. HS students did no better than the non-HS students, EVEN though the HS program continued to support them.

WE started looking into other factors and found indications that two major factors for poor academic performance stood out:
1) Parents who didn’t enforce a student study requirement at home.
2) Parents who thought schools should be resonsible for child care from 6 am until 9 pm.!

This part of the study was dropped pretty quickly.

dahni on April 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Even Roger Ailles needs a Court Jester.

John Cleese and Michael Palin nailed it …

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Morons are paid to go on FOX and do this:
blah blah blah blah blah Obama bad blah blah

Morons are paid to go on MSNBC and do this:
blah blah blah blah blah blah Republicans bad blah blah

Morons are paid to go on CNN and do this:
blah blah blah blah blah

Cable news, talking heads, and the 24 hour cycle have only succeeded in dumbing-down America.

Some of the requirements of being on cable news:
- Blindly devoted to the Ailes line – Hannity (also known as “dumb”)
- Attractive and able to read teleprompter
- Washed up politicians
- Quitter politicians
- Ex cons and corrupt folk

joey24007 on April 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

platypus on April 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

what’s NOT wrong with Shep?

Watched him once after listening to a reporter explain his report, which was highly critical of Obama’s gulf oil spill reaction, ask that same dumbfounded reporter…… “are you sure?.. I mean, that’s not true is it?.. President Obama would never” ..etc etc etc…. He asked a straight news reporter, to back up his shilling for Obama…

I’ve seen him offer groveling praise to liberals, and seen him treat Tea Party activists with complete contempt… openly mock them,.. he’s the token liberal I get that..

but he’s as obnoxious as anyone else in defending the Obama disaster.. he’s just more open about his disdain for conservative opinion.

He can’t be happy there,.. he may be infinitely more fair than MSNBC, but that’s not saying much,.. a rock is fairer than they are.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM

“..no personal responsibility; typical liberal..”

Jennifer nailed it. Blimp Beckel unloads and F-bomb and Hannity needs to “run his show better”?

Epic fail!

The War Planner on April 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Beckel sounds drunk.

CorporatePiggy on April 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Yeah, that’s a great argument because we all know what a wholesome channel MTV is. I know MTV is like that so I don’t watch it, but I do watch Fox, and I don’t want to hear the F word there, and neither do most other people.

Just because our society has become so accepting of anything and everything, and my kid hears the F word a hundred times a day in her high school corridors, is no reason for us to put up with it just because liberals say we should.

Oh, and BTW, Bob Beckel is a jerk, regardless of his political leanings.

Susanboo on April 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM

“Quitter politicians”

(Dug deep into Uranus for that one.)

SurferDoc on April 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I don’t get the “I like Beckel, so the rules don’t apply to him” defense some are offering.

1) Profanity on air is wrong, period.
2) His blaming everyone but himself is typically liberal, but shouldn’t be pardoned because of that.
3) He’s cursing at a woman, who’s only expressing her political opinion. If someone talked to my wife like that, he’d be picking his teeth up in the next county.
4) He was likely drunk and/or high at the time, which would get anyone else instantly fired at a real job.

Beckel needs to get fired.

Rebar on April 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

….and I have no doubt people like beckel would accept a similar job with great enthusiasm.

peacenprosperity on April 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Oh, he might have a few qualms….but he’d cash the paycheck.

Solaratov on April 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Live TV should have a 5 second delay, esp. when it comes to Beckel.

samazf on April 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM

This thread is puzzling to me. Beckel has been a bully towards women for many years. Watched him on crossfire, very condescending and rude to pretty much everyone.

He told a woman “you don’t know what the f**k you’re talking about” to her face because he didn’t agree with her. I don’t think most posters here would like someone talking to them or their woman in that manner. Since “uncle Bob” is so over the top and “funny” wouldn’t mofo and a little c**t talk be fine too?

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Some of the requirements of being on cable news:
- Blindly devoted to the Ailes line – Hannity (also known as “dumb”)
- Attractive and able to read teleprompter
- Washed up politicians
- Quitter politicians
- Ex cons and corrupt folk

joey24007 on April 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

No,.. TV can’t “dumb down” anybody..

You can blame public education and left wing indoctrination for that. Even if you don’t buy left wing bias, they haven’t been teaching critical thinking since Vietnam.. The anti-war left flooded into education degrees to escape the draft, and have brought their agendas with them. Critical thinking and left wing dogma are oxymorons you can’t have both and have lefty dogma survive…

so critical thinking skills had to go.

You’re blaming the opinion shows,.. only on the right, which is telling,.. but only opinion.. they don’t make you dumb.. you bring that to the rodeo on your own.

What dumbs down people, is teaching them, that only government (or somebody else other than themselves) can help them, or educate them, or raise them into a higher standard of living, or educational level. What dumbs people down,..

is dropping civics to teach “parenting” something mom and dad used to do.. what dumbs people down, is teaching them, that high self esteem is the greatest goal, instead of self reliance, or competition to raise the bar. They teach equality of outcome is great, and not equality or opportunity which has always been the bench mark.

If you hate TV don’t watch..

TV is the symptom not the cause. If they offered Buckley’s old show Firing Line today, few would watch it, and I loved that show when I was ten, twelve years old. Intelligence is something you can’t force on people.. the smart ones are attracted on their own, the dim?… well, you teach them the basics, what critical thinking they can absorb, and hope for the best.

But no amount of education will help the average MSNBC viewer,.. dim is a default setting.. FOX I would argue is not that bad,.. they have as many democrats as republicans watch,.. so the mix of opinion is vastly better than any of the other networks. You wanna hate Hannity,.. can’t stop you, frankly don’t care.. but he’s a grade A missile technician compared to anyone on MSNBC, CNN,ABC,CBS, NPR or any of the others..

he offers opposing viewpoints.. name another network opinion show which does, other than FOX?

You’re shooting at the wrong target.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I have to agree.. you make an excellent point.

If someone said that to my wife,.. well, somebody would be in the ICU pretty fast.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM

..all this said, you guys are missing the real treat. BOREilly, Hannity, and the rest were getting a little too formulaic so I switched to watching Fox Biz News — Stewart Varney, Neil Cavuto, and Gerri Willis — who absolutely, along with their cohorts, rip the skin off the Obama regime and the scandals they are embroiled in.

So, if you tire of the terminally self-referential O’Reilly and Hannity’s incessant bullet-lists (“..dirty air and water, I used to wait on tables, worked in construction..”) chuck them, come over an have some fun — and get some good stock tips as well.

..added bonus: Stewadt Varney absolutely despises Obama.

The War Planner on April 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

He should’ve listened to Smosh – The Firetruck Song

It starts with F and ends with uck…FIRETRUCK!

Christien on April 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM

..added bonus: Stewadt Varney absolutely despises Obama.

The War Planner on April 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

FOX has two news channels?

I watch all of these guys.. though not so much O’Reilly.. on the single FOX News channel our cable provider has.. Cavuto is on early in the day,.. the others at night.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Oh, and BTW, Bob Beckel is a jerk, regardless of his political leanings.

Susanboo on April 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM

..felt the same exact way about Huge Hewittless when than slavering simp started pummeling Pat Caddell.

The War Planner on April 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

FOX has two news channels?

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

..it’s their BIZ channel. They run the dessicated, mummufied, re-animanted I-man in the overnight and then cut loose with Steward — who has a raftload of good-looking dollies who aid him in taking down The Pantload.

All three — Varney, Cavuto, and Willis — are dining out on the GSA scandal at present. It’s NOT to be missed.

The War Planner on April 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I don’t think it’s necessarily the schools K-12, it’s the caliber of students attending those schools. I have a class of 9th graders at this moment and at least half of them are refusing to do the work, a common occurrence. It’s extremely frustrating.

Bob's Kid on April 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Beckel is about as loathsome as they come. But, by way of some Christian charity, it would make anyone irritable to have to lug around all those extra chins all the time.

curved space on April 17, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I wonder when someone is going to tell the fat dope that the poll he keeps flogging was hooey? Probably should clue Juan Williams in as well.

Lonetown on April 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM

If Fox can find a way to torpedo Beckel over to “The View” they would raise the collective IQ of both programs…

jacques.indabaux on April 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM

All Beckel has is bluster and profanity.

And “blame others”, irresponsibility. He symbolizes the left perfectly.

Hannity, not the brightest one, was, as usual, galant.

I don’t think Beckel s/b fired, for one reason, freedom of speech as handled from the right. He should for the rest of his life have be embarrassed and eat rocks.

Guaranteed, if he’d be a rightie, the media and the talking heads would have by now destroyed him and asked for his job on a platinum platter.

Keeping him will be a bigger lesson and a good reminder of the double standards all around.

If “she” would have been a leftie and “he” a rightie, same incident, just imagine how today would have proceeded.

May the grace of Hannity, Ailes and God be upon him, and may he learn humility, a lesson, and may all others too, from all sides.

Schadenfreude on April 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM

The War Planner on April 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Ok.. I’ll check our listings.. if our cable package doesn’t have it, I can always watch it online.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Have any of you read “Blink?” My blink on him I think is very accurate. Beckel is a big jerk. He is a gruff arrogant curmudgeon used to getting his way. He represents almost everything I despise about the liberal inside Washington old-school media. He is classless, self-centered and vile. The fact that it has taken him this long to fly off the handle impresses me.

TheLoudTalker on April 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Are you suggesting that I should value one ratings driven sensationalist “news” organization over another because they offer different “viewpoints?” The Democrats and liberals that appear on FOX are not very good at debate. Well, if you can call 4 talking heads in little boxes a debate.

As for “Firing Line,” not only would people not watch but you would have a hard time finding a competent host and knowledgeable guests.

Roger Ailes summed up what his organization was all about when he said that he puts people on tv because they are “hot” and get ratings.

If that is the mindset of the guy running the show then it is safe to say that little effort is put forward to make the programs anything other than dumbed down nonsense with flashy graphics, short skirts and moronic hosts.

Face it, there is no difference between FOX and the tabloids at the supermarket checkout line.

joey24007 on April 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Bob’s Kid on April 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM

We recently discovered our son had been dicthing his assignments, hiding them in his desk,.. he’s 4th grade.. when the teacher sent a note home, I was able to schedule a sit down.. and let’s just say..

my son wasn’t happy with the result.

I’m not a blame the teacher type, the system yes, but most K-12 teachers I’ve met are truly trying their best.

Took some serious work over a week to get my son caught up, and do all the extra credit I volunteered him for…

But he learned a lesson about ditching school work, and I did with being slightly more attentive to his bookbag..

He won’t do that again..

Parents do play a huge part don’t they,.. Like in my time, I try to support the teacher, so my son doesn’t attempt a divide and conquer trick.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM

This jerk is no different than Colmes and every other liberal. Always arguing, always defending the indefensible, ignoring facts presented to them, not using any facts to support their arguments. Red-faced cursing, yelling, blustering, interrupting, denying, pouting, blaming, side-tracking, changing the topic rather than answering the question, playing stupid or acting ignorant when the situation necessitates, being utterly incapable of admitting that they just might be incorrect about something or that some liberal idea or concept might not be that good, being utterly incapable of admitting a mistake or impropriety and offering an honest, simple, sincere apology.

Ms. Jennifer was absolutely correct when she stated, “Typical liberal – no personal responsibility – typical liberal”.

Hey liberals – you are all pathetic losers and your failed ideology is an embarrassment to the United States of America. Go crawl back into the cracks you crawled out of you squealing vermin. Your voices are all white noise to me.

And moderate RINOs want to compromise with these scumbags? I say keep the boots on their necks and start pressing down a little harder.

AttaBoyLuther on April 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM

joey24007 on April 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM

So what are you suggesting?.. since they all suck, we simply sniff the news out of the air?

You have to have a news source, be it TV or online. Multiple is better, but you aren’t seriously suggesting we just sit home and vegetate..

So what’s your solution?

Trashing FOX is pointless, unless you have a better alternative, it becomes a matter of picking the station least objectionable to you.

I don’t see that TV news has changed all that much..

You toss out all the flashy graphics.. hire all ugly people, and sit there glumly reading the news off a teleprompter just like Cronkite did… and please.. do you really think they were all intellectuals then?

Most moved up from being radio and print reporters, in those days, a nearly blue collar kind of job requiring no degree’s in Journalism, or any discipline. They were highly opinionated, but since we only had three liberal choices.. with ZERO opposing views..

How the Hell could we tell?

News has always been about manipulation and attracting dollars, it’s dishonet to believe it wasn’t… Remember Cronkite selling Lucky Strike cigarettes?..

I do.

I think you’re being far too fatalist..

Dispite everything about modern news you hate.. it’s vastly more open to alternatives than ever before. You CAN find news you never would have heard before, you CAN make choices..

You can hate FOX till Hell freezes over.. it doesn’t matter..

because you don’t have to watch.

So..

what do you watch, or read?

You can’t just completely opt out, or you wouldn’t be posting here.

What’s your choice?

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I judge success through the kindergarten teachers I know who can recognize ALL of the children who have went to any preschool within the first couple days of schoool.

Maybe in other areas of the country their Head Start Programs aren’t as effective, but where I live, they are.

My question to you: Do you believe preschool is a complete waste of time?

guera on April 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

But only during the first couple days of school. After a month or so, you can’t tell the difference.

The advantage of Head Start or of preschool is essentially a myth. If you really want your children to get an accelerated education, don’t send them to a public school.

The reason is simple: each year of public school repeats so much of the previous year that no “head start” is going to get you ahead of the game for long. The third time you repeat 30% of last year’s curriculum, you’ve all been brought down to the same level.

tom on April 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Bob Beckel just provided a perfect example of how self-absorbed liberals are.

In Beckel’s world everything revolves around him.

Beckel makes a mistake and then blames Sean Hannity for not running his show better and telling Beckel that the show was on the air.

Then Beckel’s only concern is that he will probably get fired.

While children often believe that the world revolves around them, most people grow out of that misperception as they become mature adults.

Fox should replace Bob Beckel with somebody who has a larger vocabulary.

wren on April 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Oh – I get it…yeah – I see you “primed the pump” with the response you want to solicit in the Headline:

“Bob Beckel Did a Bad, Bad Thing”

Ha-ha-ha! Yeah, I get it – you see it as a joke:

“I Tawt I Taw A Pudd-Tat!”

Ha-ha-ha! Yeah – funny, yeah – this was not a big deal….just a cartoon joke, right?

Yeah, riiiiight!

williamg on April 17, 2012 at 2:16 PM

“I Tawt I Taw A Puddy-Tat!”

Yeah – not funny.

williamg on April 17, 2012 at 2:17 PM

My question to you: Do you believe preschool is a complete waste of time?

guera on April 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Pre-school like any educational system relies on the abilities of the teachers and the methodolgy and effectiveness of the program. Speaking as someone who taught in the Head Start program in an inner city, a small city, and a rural area at different times I feel somewhat qualified to answer.
The Head Start program has gone through the same changes as the rest of the educational system in this country. Little emphasis is placed on the basics such as the alphabet, counting, etc. and too much time is spent on culture, diversity, and unfortunately social skills. Children in many of the programs have little or no social skillssuch as the ability to interact with others and have had little exposure to any kind of discipline. So much of the time is taken up attempting to correct those deficiencies. Also, the silly PC stuff that is forced on the teachers takes up too much time.
So there are two kinds of pre-schools…one that is basically a prep for Kindergarten as far as knowledge and social development. The other is simply a babysitting service with PC talking points. The first one is usually a private one. The second one is usually a Head Start.

Deanna on April 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Bekel is one of the best GOP spokesman around, why in the world would you ever want to get rid of him? The F-bomb on cable TV, what in the Sam Hill is going on here? Sarc

DDay on April 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Normally I give the guy a pass, at least he comes on FOX News when other liberals see the network as like water to the Wicked Witch of the West…and he usually, from when I’ve seen him, has been civil, mostly.

terryannonline on April 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Look what Bill Maher gets away with on HBO…granted that’s a premium service, but it’s certainly not some “adults only” channel.

JetBoy on April 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I have to agree.. you make an excellent point.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Why? Your wife would take care of it?

As a woman I never understand these comments. I’d want to be with a man who believed I could take care of myself and leave me to do just that rather than rush in to help “the little woman”.

And really, why would you want to hurt someone physically, to the point of the ICU, for being a verbal a-hole?

kim roy on April 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM

read books, watch nothing (maybe C-Span on the weekends)

I don’t pick crap that is slightly better than other crap.

joey24007 on April 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

what else from a stupid, drunk hack?

ploome on April 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM

“Bob Beckel Did a Bad, Bad Thing”

Ha-ha-ha! Yeah, I get it – you see it as a joke:

“I Tawt I Taw A Pudd-Tat!”

Yeah, riiiiight!

williamg on April 17, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Nah. Ed just cleverly referenced the Rockabilly song: ‘Baby Did A Bad Bad Thing

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM

he was talking to Her like that?
when I first head of it I was under the impression he was speaking to the guy. Wow the dems really do have a war on women.

ColdWarrior57 on April 17, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Democrats and Leftists: Please, STOP your war on civility.

(Why does Fox need resident leftists anyway? It’s a joke: Yes, listening to folks with zero common sense (“We want to be Greece and are proud of it!!!”) or common decency is very “balanced”–how very “fair.” Hannity’s radio show these days is constantly pitting someone with common sense against an impaired, twisted leftist to “debate” some issue or another. I find it pointless. Glenn Beck’s radio show never does that; neither does Limbaugh. Leftists are wrong about absolutely everything that matters: Let’s be honest enough to admit that, to hope they’ll come to understand that, and stop pretending they have anything worthwhile to say, or that they constitute another viable political option. All that matters is that they’re exposed, and that voters come to the realization en masse that you should never, ever vote for one.)

Allendundit on April 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Beckel isn’t just an egotistical ass who came of age as a 60s protestor and who’s made a living off that persona ever since. He isn’t just a guy who spins and argues with Dem talking points instead of reason. He’s more than just a spewer of (in the terminolgy of Harry Frankfurt, Pref. Emeritus of Moral Philosophy at Princeton) meaningless, self-aggrandizing b*llsh*t.

He’s a guy who deliberately derails any conversation so that other guests and co-hosts have to spend their time trying to correct him instead of elaborating on well-reasoned and thought out points.

He’s a pig. They should get rid of the pig.

When Halpern said Obama was a jerk, he got suspended. I said at the time he should replace Beckel on the View, or the Five, or whatever it’s called. But I guess they are more interested in ratings than in raising the level of discourse. That’s a bad, bad thing.

flicker on April 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Live TV should have a 5 second delay, esp. when it comes to Beckel.

samazf on April 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM

He’s had quite a history, especially recently, with letting the swearing fly while on FNC. You’d think that they would have taken precautions. If he’s that frustrated when opining on Fox News panel segments, then maybe he should go work full-time for the DNC.

I couldn’t think of a better punishment, come to think of it, then having him share an office with Debbie Poodlehead Shrew.

Philly on April 17, 2012 at 4:25 PM

It’s a good time to get rid of his fat a$$. Not for letting the F word slip, but because he’s talking like that to a woman in a supposedly professional capacity, and even more so because he refused to apologize. He is the typical stereotype arrogant, constipated liberal. Put Kirsten Powers in his place on The Five. At least I enjoy looking at her.

stacman on April 17, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Ah, outrageous outrage. Truth is, people use that word and he didn’t realize they were on the air. So he messed up. Who cares? Move on.

Shump on April 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM

So who’s going to be watching “The Four” this evening?

radjah shelduck on April 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM

He’ll still be on “The Five”. He’s the reason for the popularity of the show. Where else can you see a libtard get beat up by four Conservative firebrands?

timberline on April 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Bob Beckel appearing on “The Five” now.

All is forgiven….Fox need his appearance to prop up their ratings by drawing the libtard crowd to their show.

timberline on April 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I agree, timberline. His role on The Five is to be the intellectually bankrupt liberal nutjob and he is perfect in that role.

volsense on April 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM

They haven’t fired him yet. Teflon Beckel.

Philly on April 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Bush’s fault!

princetrumpet on April 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Some of the requirements of being on cable news a democrat:
– Blindly devoted to the Ailes Obowma line – Hannity (also known as “dumb”)
UnattractiveAttractive and able to read teleprompter
– Washed up politicians
– Quitter politicians
– Ex cons and corrupt folk

joey24007 on April 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

A perfect description of the Obowma admistration.

dthorny on April 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I have been thinking about this, I am pretty ticked off at hanity and the other guy for not jumping his SH*T for talking to her like that. low class! if she was cursing at him during the break then ok its fair game, if she wasn’t then the other 2 men males are no better then he is. hanity should have told him to apologise to her or go home! LOW CLASS TURDS THE LOT Of the males there.

ColdWarrior57 on April 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Suggestion – do what I did and go to hannity’s web site and submit a message telling him about your disgust and outrage over the beckel clown. I made it clear that if FOX News doesn’t fire this leftist sob AND if hannity doesn’t personally state that he won’t have this excrement ever again on his program, I WILL STOP WATCHING THE SHOW. Period.

TeaPartyNation on April 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

itsspideyman on April 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Yep :-)

Texting zombies know no nation.

Here’s the best one I’ve ever seen:

What happens when an idiot tapping his thumbs in L.A. runs into a real, live BEAR! :-D

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM

TeaPartyNation on April 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Please……

Beckel at first refused to apologize — in fact, he refused to acknowledge that the show had gone back on the air for about a full minute. After realization slowly dawned on Beckel, he finally offered a grudging apology, but then proceeded to blame Sean Hannity for not warning him that the show was coming back on the air.

Oh come on….

As far as Beckel blaming Hannity-seemed to me he was joking the same way I’d jokingly blame somebody for coughing or something if I hit a tee shot into the woods. Gee-lighten up.

I like Beckel-seems that Fox has lefties I wouldn’t mind having a beer with (Beckel, Williams, Powers, etc.), they seem like real people. I wouldn’t want to have a beer with any of the crew from MSNBC, even if they were buying. Yuck.

Dreadnought on April 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Logus on April 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM

you got that right. i’m dealing with a totaled vehicle due to an idiot 19-y.o.

spent all day in court yesterday trying to avoid the railroading from the consequences of distracted drivers, and the trial has just begun.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM

What a farkin moron…

RalphyBoy on April 17, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Is this going to be the feigned outrage of the week? Do we not have enough real problems in this country?

CVMA-Dredd on April 17, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Why did Beckel get personal, instead of sticking to facts and figures as Stefano advised? Because he would lose on facts and figures. All Beckel has is bluster and profanity.

Precisely! He liked acted like kid (and that is an insult to kids I’ve the pleasure of knowing, my nephews). He pouted and denied any responsibility, accusing Sean of the mishap. He should not be speaking using that profanity around a woman at all.

Feedie on April 18, 2012 at 5:40 AM

I believe most strongly that learning never stops. There’s always an opportunity to learn something new, sometimes from the strangest people in the strangest places. That said, there’s nothing to be learned watching shows like this. I’m already grounded in my principles and beliefs. I don’t need them reinforced with the same talking points hammered incessantly. Hell, Ancient Aliens is more enlightening than political chat shows and they (Ancient Aliens) go off on wild speculation and stretch credulity to the breaking point. Still, it’s more entertaining than any of the political pundits.

swinia sutki on April 18, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Beckel is the forgotten cast member of the program ” Cheers”. He’s a fat fraud in search of a bar.

DevilsPrinciple on April 18, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Fox News can not figure out why they are losing viewers???? BR IDIOTS LIKE BECKEL ON ANY TV STATION….. we want classy conservatives to watch!!! Dump Beckel he is why I can not stand 2 watch the Five

charmingtail on April 18, 2012 at 6:47 AM

tyketto:”

I don’t usually hang around long with anyone who talks like this. I saw the incidence live and it took the wind outta my sails for a moment. Potty language has no place in the public venue and anyone with more than a 3rd grade education can find better ways of expressing themselves.

Democrats war on women. I would have socked him if he had addressed me in such a manner.

elm on April 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Feedie on April 18, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Because he would liberals lose on facts and figures. All Beckel hasliberals have is bluster and profanity.

I found it even more outrageous (but typical) that, multiple times, he accused Hanity for getting caught with his mouth open, even though Sean repeatedly had said that he would defend Beckel to protect his job! Talk about biting the hand …

IrishEyes on April 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Sadly, when politicians, actors, TV commentators so frequently use sexual and derogatory terms as to make its use common, the moral values of this country continue to decline even further. It’ time to find this type of verbal rhetoric and language unacceptable.

kaye on April 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM