Ann Romney: Seamus the Dog “loved” trips atop the car

posted at 1:21 pm on April 17, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Mitt Romney has a sensitive side, after all — and that side of him has felt most wounded by attacks on his one-time, long-ago treatment of Seamus the Dog, the Romney family’s former pet. At least, that’s what he recently told Diane Sawyer in an exclusive interview.

The Seamus story was first unearthed in 2007 by a reporter at The Boston Globe assigned to write a piece about Romney for a biographical series the newspaper published. By now, almost everyone knows the tale because, as Chris Cillizza put it, “Seamus is the dog who won’t die — politically, at least.” In 1983, the Romney family loaded up the family station wagon to drive from Boston to Ontario, strapping Seamus’ dog carrier — with Seamus inside — to the roof of the car. At some point on the trip, though, Seamus became ill (“he really had the runs” is how Ann Romney put it). Evidence of his sickness dripped down the window until the oldest Romney boy, Tagg, noticed it and yelled, “Dad! Gross!” Romney pulled into a nearby gas station, hosed down Seamus and the car, reinstated the dog in his carrier and strapped the carrier to the roof once more. In other words, he kept calm and carried on …

Plenty of Romney opponents have painted the episode as illustrative of Romney’s allegedly uncaring attitude — not just toward dogs, but toward everything. They’ve cited the Seamus story as evidence of Romney’s “otherness,” yet another way he’s out of touch with ordinary Americans.

But in the interview with Sawyer, Romney not only said he has been most wounded by attacks that include a mention of Seamus. Ann Romney also said Seamus “loved” trips atop the car.

“The dog loved it,” Ann Romney said. “He would see that crate and, you know, he would, like, go crazy because he was going with us on vacation.  It was to me a kinder thing to bring him along than to leave him in the kennel for two weeks.”

We’ll never know whether Ann Romney is right because, you see, dogs aren’t people and are unable to express themselves by more than an occasional bark or growl. It’s not, after all, as though Seamus himself told this story to The Boston Globe reporter five years ago, bravely speaking out after enduring a horrendous ordeal. No, one of the Romney sons revealed the story — and not in an attempt to injure his father’s chances at the presidency, but in an attempt to give voters a peek at the family dynamic.

The story of Romney and his dog is even more of an irrelevant distraction from the principal issues of the campaign than Hilary Rosen’s recent comments about stay-at-home Ann — but addressing the distractions isn’t stupid. All the little, insignificant issues add up to an understanding of the principles and priorities of the presidential candidates and of voters.

The Seamus story tells us less about Mitt Romney — it really doesn’t reveal anything new, as we already knew he’s a pragmatic person — than it does about us. When did animals become equivalent to people in the eyes of the American public, such that we couldn’t fathom treating our pets in any way other than the manner in which we treat our children? I appreciate that Romney gave priority seating to his children, that he clearly thinks human beings should take precedence over animals. That he’s wounded by the attacks tells us he cared about the dog — pets have a way of wriggling into our hearts, after all — but that he did what he did in 1983 tells us his focus was where it should have been, on ensuring a safe, comfortable drive for his family.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8

600!

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

601! TEAM SEAMUS!!!

GhoulAid on April 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Lets make it 600 for Tina!

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

OK. Guy walks into a bar on a hot day and asks the bartender for a beer. Bartender pours it and the guy quaffs it down and says “I’ll have another”. Bartender pours it and the guys downs it.

“That’ll be $10″ says the bartender.

“Ummm, I’m broke and don’t have any money” says the guy. “But I’m happy to do any work you need done to cover it”.

“OK” says the bartender. “There’s a few things you can do. First, see that drunk down the end of the bar? Toss him out. Second, I’ve got a Rottweiler out back with a bad tooth that needs pulled. Third, my old grandmother is upstairs…she hasn’t had any, you know…in 20 years. Can you take care of her?”

Guy gets up, grabs the drunk by the neck and hustles him out the door. Goes out back of the bar and all the bartender hears is howling, yelping, barking, growling, clothes ripping, screaming. The guys staggers back into the bar, covered with cuts and scrapes, panting, sweating, and says “OK, where’s the old lady with the bad tooth?”

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM

600!

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Close enough. Anyway, if you did hit 600, no one would ever see your post. Which, by the way, raises an important philosophical question:

If you post the 600th comment and literally no one reads it, was it ever really posted at all?

Think about it.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Good one! LOL! ; )

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Think about it.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Oh, I’m pretty certain Tina noticed, 600 is big for a daytime, non Palin thread. Tina may actually be surprised it did this well. I’ll never know because she never comes on to the threads to say anything. Unlike Ed, Allah and J.E.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

The Romneys are idots for putting their dog on the roof of the car. Period. End of story.

Pragmatic on April 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

You’re an idiot for posting that. Period. End of story.

See…??? (Probably not…)

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Which is why they leave them in kennels while they go away?

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Which is more humane, leaving your dog at a kennel or strapping a dog crate on top your car to take him with you?

RedRobin145 on April 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Think about it.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

No, I just meant because the actual 600th comment is at the bottom of the last page. Your “600″ comment was #601.

And no, I most certainly do not have a life, to answer the question that is likely going through your mind after that last sentence.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM

RedRobin145 on April 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Ann Romney said the dog loved it and went crazy whenever the dog cage/carrier came out. she also said it would have been cruel to leave him in a kennel while they vacationed. seems to me, they knew their own dog better then, then you do now.

GhoulAid on April 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM

That joke ages pretty well doesn’t it?

Look, first and last time I’ll address Seamus.. my father, whom I have had my issues with,, was raised on a farm in the rural country we still live in, till he enlisted in the Army in 1950, he worked that farm, and to him, animals were tools, and treated accordingly..

When we had to take the dog with us, dispite the pleas and tears of all five of us children plus mom.. dad put the dog in the trunk.. always a short trip, but to me, it was like putting one of us kids in that trunk

Was Mitt guilty of a sin here?.. at first blush,.. but really, what dog doesn’t like his ears blasted back in a stiff wind? and as long as it was strongly secured, and the dog had shelter from the elements.. as much as I wouldn’t do it,.. let it go.

Unless we’re prepared to talk only about that, and that suits only Obama.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Well it would appear either way I made the 600th. Still only Tina cares. I have actually never counted the comments per page. I thought it was 99 per. I thought this because on one monitor I keep the HA home page up and refreshing while I comment on the page on my other monitor. When I posted 600! it flipped to 600 on the home page. Have you ever noticed how if you come back to a thread later the comments move down or up on the page. I used to think it was because of housekeeping. Now I just don’t know.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

RedRobin145 on April 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Wouldn’t it depend on the type of kennel crate?

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Mark, see my other posts about my Golden and my MGB. I’m all about letting my dog getting his ears blasted back in the wind. He loves it. I let this whole story go and have had fun with it since the get go! ;)

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Once or twice I have (see the end of my previous comment for the explanation why).

Since they alternate between light and dark, and always start as light on top, and dark on the bottom, you know it’s an even number.

I’ve seen the effect you are talking about. I was never sure about it, but it occurs to me that it could be because of racist and other ban-worthy comments being “vaporized”, 1984 style – not sure if that’s what you meant by “housekeeping”. That would make some sense, since the last time I noticed this was on one of those threads that brings out the trolls and crazies, though I don’t remember which.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Once or twice I have counted (see the end of my previous comment for the explanation why).

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I want to meet this imaginary dog that loves being locked in a kennel in an unfamiliar place away from its pack.

Jeddite on April 17, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Alright you fellow survivors on this thread, I’m off to play with the dog. I might even let him jump in the pool without a Personal Flotation Device. The horror!

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Racist…!!!!

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Actually, I forgot there’s another explanation – comments sometimes go into moderation, then appear later – so I think they are inserted into the order that they are posted. In fact, that’s happened to me a couple times I think. So that’s probably it.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Wouldn’t it depend on the type of kennel crate?

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Yes,.. some are flimsy.. little more than wirse cages… others are like rock solid cargo containers with large windows.. little different that riding in the car with the windows down. I doubt they scrimped on that.. so it’s not really all that much an issue is it?

It’s not like they strapped him to the main fuselage of a 707 and let the wind blast strip skin off fer crying out loud.. I don’t doubt he did love it,.. tongue flappin in the air and all.

Know if we can just get Obama to ride on Air Force one like that… His wife and kids insdie natch…. think of the Jackass demographic Barrack.. do it for them..

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 7:55 PM

step out tonite. meet some people. hear the complaints of the common man with dirty hands.

ya know what? they think its hateful to put your dog up in a cage on the roof for hours on end.

oh, no one who has read this thread has EVER seen a dog sitting in a crate, with windshields, sitting on top of car. will you be the first LOL

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Enjoy torturing your poor animal you cruel heartless rethuglican animal-hater.

I’m going to leave too. I’ve already made more than enough comments on just this one thread to forfeit my right to talk about how boring and stupid this all is without looking like a hypocrite.

And I can’t let people find out that I’m a hypocrite, because then I won’t be able to make fun of other people when I catch them being hypocrites.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM

we are all Seamus now!

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 8:05 PM

OK, given the spirit of the last few comments, let’s redirect:

Did 0bama ever have a dog before he became president?

What was his name?

Where did he get the dog?

What about the dog before that?

As soon as Seamus comes up in the general, let’s deafen the ears of the MSM with this.

if we keep on questioning Romney about his past, we are bound to tread upon hallowed hidden ground.

The more we bring up Romney’s past, the more it’s legit to bring up 0bama’s.

Bring it, Dems.

BRING IT!

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 8:05 PM

600!

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

It would be more impressive if 300 of them were not from the same Obama concern troll.

Speaking of which, I hope the concern troll reads this post. Angryred, you posted the following on a thread about the Romney vacation of 1983:

I’m so tired of elevating soldiers to sainthood. Fine he was in Iraq. Good for him. So what am I supposed to do, bow down in his presence because he went into the military? Big deal.

Your hatred of the military is shameful. I live in Northern Virginia where there is a lot of military and former military. This weekend while I was buying a suit a young person with two artificial legs came in the store. He lost his legs in 2009 in Afghanistan. Now you don’t have to elevate such people to “sainthood” but you’d damned well better keep a civil tongue and remember these people who made a bigger sacrifice for their nation than you ever have in your pathetic life as a concern troll. It is a big deal.

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM

RedRobin145 on April 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM

GhoulAid on April 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM

The dog voted to go along. If the dog hated traveling in the crate it would have let them know. I think almost all dog owners know when their dog does not like doing something.

farsighted on April 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Every SINGLE question about Romney’s past from the MSM, we need a reciprocal answer about 0bama’s past!

DON’T TAKE “NO” FOR AN ANSWER!

Mitt, are you listening?

Be a dick about this. Every single question about your past you get that 0bama hasn’t answered, REFUSE to answer, and tell them, “Here’s my quote: ‘I will answer XX question as soon as the president does, as he is running for the same office I am, and we should be asked the same questions. If he refuses to answer, so will I. And I will answer no further questions at all from the media on that topic, NOT ONE, until the president has been questioned, and his answers published.’”

Do that for a month or so and Barry’s house of cards will come a’tumblin’ down.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Jeddite on April 17, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Cesar Millan would say the dog wants to be with its pack.

farsighted on April 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Stuff you condescension.

My neighbors are country people. We understand animals.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM

You know I try to read most comments on most threads, somehow I always miss that particular commenters comments. Funny that.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 8:12 PM

The more we bring up Romney’s past, the more it’s legit to bring up 0bama’s.

Oof, I muffed that sentence.

It should have been:

if we keep on questioning Romney 0bama about his past, we are bound to tread upon hallowed hidden ground.

The more we bring up Romney’s past, the more it’s legit to bring up 0bama’s.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 8:13 PM

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Which brings up another interesting question. I have been told it is bad for animals to travel by air when they are put in with cargo in the aircraft. Is this true?

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I wrote that pretty sloppy.. try again.. Maybe Obama should ride on the outside of Air Force one in a giant sized pet carrier… the guys on Jackass would love it,.. just have to remember to fit him for a pressure suit, since he’ll need oxygen and heat, or he’ll not be around for the landing…

and we wouldn’t want that..

I’d MUCH rather he retire, fit, healthy and very very bitter to a looooooooonnnnnng retirement.

competing with Carter to write the largest book nobody will read.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Both are good observations. I think you are correct.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Quitcher worryin’ about Bo. I’m sure they strapped him im the jump-seat behind the pilot and fed him fresh-killed American conservative.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 8:16 PM

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 8:05 PM

In one sense, I agree with you. If 1983 is fair game then, as one poster pointed out, the fact that Obama was snorting cocaine in 1983 should be relevant. Obama’s transcripts are relevant. Obama’s thesis is relevant. The fact that Barak Hussein Obama was running around as Barry Soetoro is relevant (unprecedented that Obama has an alter ego).

That being said, what does it say to you about Romney’s past that this is the kind of “dirt” they are harping on? Newt had mistresses. Herman Cain had charges of inappropriate sexual advances. Where is the scandal in the 1983 Romney vacation? Which, BTW, the dog survived just fine for years after the ordeal of riding on the luggage rack. Frankly, a twelve hour trip with five young kids in the car….. I think I’d prefer to ride on the roof.

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I would never do it.. the reason I’ve heard, is that explosive decompression of the cargo area is not uncommon,.. since it’s outside the flight compartments pressurized capsule. Obviously that would kill any living thing in the cargo area..

even if the risk is small,.. I love my dog, and would never take the risk.

The only reason I’ve ever heard,.. unless the possiblity of toxic materials also being in the cargo bay is a concern.. I doubt it, but I’m no expert. My job was shooting at things which weren’t where they were supposed to be, like Spetznaz…. not anything to do with flight operations.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Her will is publicly available on PETA’s website. It includes that part of her body be made into a human barbecue, her skin made into leather products, her feet be made into umbrella stands, and various body parts sent to countries and organizations of which PETA disapproves.

Ick.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM

ewwwwwewwww…

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Heh. I wonder Board of Directors members Bill Maher and Jane Velez-Mitchell will break their vegitarian fast to fight over those tasty ribs…

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 8:25 PM

[snip]

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM

OK, you just hit a nerve that really hasn’t been hit before.

Quick Hot-Air poll – raise hands:

Who among you is comfortable with an admitted “coke-head” as president?

I sure as HELL

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Romney takes dogs on vacation.
Barrack Obama EATS dog!

ConcealedKerry on April 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Surely the guy who just had to get elected to make the seas recede is able to provide himself with ample oxygen and heat.

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM

[snip]

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM

OK, you just hit a nerve that really hasn’t been hit before.

Quick Hot-Air poll – raise hands:

Who among you is comfortable with an admitted “coke-head” as president?

I sure as HELL am not!!

And I can’t believe I’ve never hollered about this!! And he’s been prez for 3-1/2 years!

Do any of you know any coke heads?

THEY SUCK SUCK, SUCK!!!
They are permanently brain damaged.

Sorry to offend any good commenters. But their brain is PERMANENTLY altered to be TWITCHY.

So, we get another chance, here.

NO COKEHEADS FOR PRESIDENT, 2012!!!

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Bmore..

my alma mater.

Back when the Soviets were the bad guys.. and the equipment not so fancy.

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM

mark81150 on April 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Yes, bad decompression is not fun. I have experienced it under water and in air. Exactly the same discomfort and pain. Of course water decompression has other issues. I wouldn’t want my beloved animal to have to endure that.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I have had several “cokeheads” as friends, and their addiction has NEVER been a positive thing. I no longer have any cokeheads as friends.

Read between the lines.

Cokeheads are useless in many jobs, because of the brain-rot coke causes.

That explains Barry Soetoro.

Useless people, when it comes to taking on big, big tasks.

Again, my apologies to fellow commenters. There are many jobs, many lucrative, one can do as a cokehead, or an ex-cokehead.

I don’t think PRESIDENT is one of them.

That’s not to mention the PROPRIETY of electing a cokehead in 2012.

Do we want to elect an admitted cokehead in 2012 to be our president?

Gee, ya think we should have asked that in 2008?

Another topic altogether, I know.

And completely off-topic.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Obama ate a dog.

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Gee, ya think we should have asked that in 2008?

Another topic altogether, I know.

And completely off-topic.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM

After 600 posts, any topic isn’t exactly “off.” Think about it, 600+ comments about the Romney vacation of 1983.

As to the vetting of Obama, yes this should have happened four years ago. It is only now in the aftermath of three and almost a half truly horrid years is the public, MSM, and society asking the questions that should have prevented Obama from ever getting elected. But, those questions are being asked and I really want to know why Obama decided he needed to change his name during the coke-snorting years. But I think I know. He’s so insecure about who and what he is.

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Ann Romney: Seamus the Dog “loved” trips atop the car

I can’t stop laughing. They Keelhauled their dog and then say he loved it. Wow

SparkPlug on April 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Obama ate married a dog.

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM

SparkPlug on April 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Obama ate married a dog.

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM

SparkPlug on April 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Was it both?

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Obama advocates hot dogs in DC happy meals. Fur not included.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on April 17, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Then let’s just be right out up front.

The president we elected in 2008 is an admitted “cokehead,” in books he “authored,” under his name.

Given his performance, and given the abeyance we gave him from his disturbing admissions during his first election,

Should we elect an admitted “cokehead” as president in 2012?

The same failed admitted “cokehead” who ran for election in 2008?

I would like to see his medical records.
In FULL.

And if he won’t provide them, I’d like to know why an ostensibly healthy 50-year-old man will not submit his medical records as part of the vetting process to be considered for election to the PRESIDENCY!

(Andrew, help me now,)

WE WILL VET HIM!

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 9:18 PM

They Keelhauled their dog and then say he loved it. Wow

SparkPlug on April 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Um, keelhauled refers to scraping a person on the marine growth on the bottom of a ship. Seamus was in a crate on the roof of a car. Where is the comparison?

Not that I would put her crate on the luggage rack but my dog loves riding in the car. I’m not sure if it is the motion, the visual stimulus, or whatever but she gets excited on road trips. I have no doubt that if I put her in a crate on the roof of the car, she would be riding the road with pure enjoyment, as if she were on a surfboard.

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Obama advocates hot dogs in DC happy meals. Fur not included.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on April 17, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Only if his angry spouse is not around.

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Thank you, Tina!
Animals are property.
Not family members.
Yes, they can be likeable.
But if you regard animals as highly as you regard people, or love animals as much as you love people, you’re messed up, & you’re part of the problem.

itsnotaboutme on April 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Liberals are the ones who often try to minimize or eradicate distinctions between man & beast, God & man, man & woman, adult & child, as well as right & wrong.

itsnotaboutme on April 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Tina,

What I did with my last post is to do an editorial redirect from the shallow issue of Romney’s dog, to the fact that 0bama is an admitted cocaine user, and he is running for re-election.

Dog.

Cocaine user.

Dog.

Cocaine user.

Editorial judgment.

Trying to help, and no aspersions cast.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Mitt Romney – SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS OWNER

President 0bama – UNSUCCESSFUL COCAINE USER.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Romney had his dog on the roof.

Obama named his dog after himself.

Bo is BO.

Wander on April 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I would give a guy with a cocaine past a chance. Not a big one, but a chance.

Four years later?

Not a chance.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Who’s up for a #PoorBo sandwich?

crosspatch on April 17, 2012 at 9:31 PM

May as well go for seven hundred. Won’t take much more. Give Tina a thrill.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM

If Tina wants a record-breaking thread, maybe she should consider going with the headline that 0bama admits being a cokehead.

The references to his books could be in small print.

Seriously, people, have none of you known cokeheads, and how useless a large percentage of them are after only a short term of use??

Cokeheads think they are the BEST.

They think everything they do is perfect.

And they never back down.

NEVER.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 9:48 PM

IT’S ALL ABOUT THE EGO.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Good comeback for the Seamus question…One, Seamus loved it. Two, Nancy Pelosi or Leon Panetta would have just chartered an Air Force Jet instead of driving for family vacations.

Nozzle on April 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM

How is it tortured? You’re acting like it was a black metal box on top of the car, it wasn’t.

Zaggs on April 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Would you ride in it?

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Depends who’s in the car.

BTW, some animals just don’t do well in kennels or when their “people” go away for extended periods. They could be in a luxury hotel with walks or food every hour or even have a “sitter”, but some animals just get distressed. Had a cat that would try to seriously injure whoever was taking care of her when we went away. Boarded her. Tried to kill staff. Sent her off to a relative’s extra bedroom. Cat tried to kill relative. Finally had to bring cat along on the next trip. Cat was distressed by the motion and didn’t go to the bathroom or eat the whole three days we traveled. Was fine when we got to our destination. Didn’t try to kill anyone, which we thought was nice.

The choices were to put the cat to sleep, not go anywhere for the 13 years we had the cat or distress the cat with a trip. Most animals wouldn’t look upon it as an adventure like we would.

kim roy on April 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

And, to snap back to topic before I leave, did anyone bother to interview Seamus after the trip?

Bet he loved it, aside from his slight indisposition.

DOGS LOVE TRUCKS WAGONS!

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Tina, Ed, Allah, I EXPECT to see a dog poll tomorrow.

DO DOGS LOVE TRUCKS/WAGONS?

Hot Air will let you know….

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Let’s go, Tina!

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Interesting.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I strapped my boxer’s kennel to the roof this afternoon. She loved it.

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM

The fact is, no matter how many kids are in the car, a dog finds room and comfort, and so would the kids.

right2bright on April 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I confess, I’m a bit confused on the geometry you’re using here.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

You have never traveled with two brothers and a lab in the back seat of a car…I am telling you, the dog always finds a spot to sleep.

right2bright on April 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM

You better believe it. Today I was talking to two women and what surprised me is that they weren’t talking about the deficit, the economy, gas prices, the war in Afghanistan, Iran or anything really that I personally consider important. They were talking about Romney’s dog. This was what “bothered them most,” they said, about Romney and has made them hesitant to vote for him. This story has legs.

Burke on April 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM

New post up in The Blog section: Obama Used to Eat Dog Meat. And they want to make Seamus an issue?

Once again, the Dems have skewered the pooch.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Interesting.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM

That’s not a kennel it’s a prison cell.

RickB on April 17, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I have two Scotties, and oddly enough neither really seems to enjoy car trips that much. I’ve tried not to consider it an indictment of my driving (heh). They do tend to bark like mad at other people and inanimate objects, though.

changer1701 on April 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Heh. They probably just don’t like being in cars. And the barking … the other vivid memory I have of being in Gettysburg with our Scottie was when we were on our way home. She was in her usual place on the ledge behind the back seat and we were all motoring along quietly that evening on a desolate stretch of highway. We were all startled as hell when she started barking madly. At first, we couldn’t figure out what she was barking at, as there weren’t any people around, let alone other cars. Then we looked around and saw it: she was barking her head off at the very bright and full moon low in the sky. Up until that point, I thought “barking at the moon” was just a figure of speech. LOL

PatriotGal2257 on April 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Once again, the Dems have skewered the pooch.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM

They are proving to be very good at something.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 10:37 PM

700 or bust! Let’s do it for Tina.

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Bmore asked me to add to the thread count…

massrighty on April 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Bmore sent me.

JPeterman on April 17, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Let’s do it for Tina (and Bmore).

PatriotGal2257 on April 17, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I’m doing it for me.

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Bmore sent me.

SparkPlug on April 17, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Bmore asked me to add to the thread count…

massrighty on April 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM

That why they call him Be More.

He wants it to Be More.

SparkPlug on April 17, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Get your butt over here Dire Straits.

JPeterman on April 17, 2012 at 11:46 PM

So… Bmore… what’s the significance of making the 700 Club?

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 11:48 PM

BMORE BRINGS THE OUT THE.DOGS.

M240H on April 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Everything I do is for Tina.

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 11:52 PM

So… Bmore… what’s the significance of making the 700 Club?

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 11:48 PM

He’s trying to score points with Tina.

JPeterman on April 17, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Just 9 to go, strike that 8.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 11:54 PM

A couple of points, if I may.

I have found that I could put both my dog and my cat into their respective cages for their first trip to the vet. Any future attempt was met with total hostility! Now, was it the car trip, or the vet that caused such a reaction?

Take a look at virtually any contract builder’s flat top bed, and you will see a dog leashed in it – and they love it!

OldEnglish on April 17, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Well… while we’re waiting for more from Bmore… for which campaign is this tune more appropriate?

Irony for Romney, or, with a few lyric changes, it could be Obama’s new campaign song: “Chompin’ the Dog”. (If I’d linked the Rufus Thomas original I’d be labeled raaaaacist!, so this is the white man’s overbite version with go-go girls.)

“If you don’t know how to do it I can show how to chomp the dog…”

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Heres to hoping Rmoney™ coast to victory in November with Seamus riding proudly on his special place on the roof. Rmoney™/Seamus 2012!

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Bmore
NOW what are you up to???????

angrymike on April 18, 2012 at 12:02 AM

angrymike on April 18, 2012 at 12:02 AM

697

Bmore on April 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Rotisserie Rottweiler.

M240H on April 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Schweet!

Bmore on April 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I know once when I was young I got on the roof of a GMC Jimmy, it was fun till we hit the first rut, don’t ask I can’t fly………….;(

angrymike on April 18, 2012 at 12:05 AM