Ann Romney: Seamus the Dog “loved” trips atop the car

posted at 1:21 pm on April 17, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Mitt Romney has a sensitive side, after all — and that side of him has felt most wounded by attacks on his one-time, long-ago treatment of Seamus the Dog, the Romney family’s former pet. At least, that’s what he recently told Diane Sawyer in an exclusive interview.

The Seamus story was first unearthed in 2007 by a reporter at The Boston Globe assigned to write a piece about Romney for a biographical series the newspaper published. By now, almost everyone knows the tale because, as Chris Cillizza put it, “Seamus is the dog who won’t die — politically, at least.” In 1983, the Romney family loaded up the family station wagon to drive from Boston to Ontario, strapping Seamus’ dog carrier — with Seamus inside — to the roof of the car. At some point on the trip, though, Seamus became ill (“he really had the runs” is how Ann Romney put it). Evidence of his sickness dripped down the window until the oldest Romney boy, Tagg, noticed it and yelled, “Dad! Gross!” Romney pulled into a nearby gas station, hosed down Seamus and the car, reinstated the dog in his carrier and strapped the carrier to the roof once more. In other words, he kept calm and carried on …

Plenty of Romney opponents have painted the episode as illustrative of Romney’s allegedly uncaring attitude — not just toward dogs, but toward everything. They’ve cited the Seamus story as evidence of Romney’s “otherness,” yet another way he’s out of touch with ordinary Americans.

But in the interview with Sawyer, Romney not only said he has been most wounded by attacks that include a mention of Seamus. Ann Romney also said Seamus “loved” trips atop the car.

“The dog loved it,” Ann Romney said. “He would see that crate and, you know, he would, like, go crazy because he was going with us on vacation.  It was to me a kinder thing to bring him along than to leave him in the kennel for two weeks.”

We’ll never know whether Ann Romney is right because, you see, dogs aren’t people and are unable to express themselves by more than an occasional bark or growl. It’s not, after all, as though Seamus himself told this story to The Boston Globe reporter five years ago, bravely speaking out after enduring a horrendous ordeal. No, one of the Romney sons revealed the story — and not in an attempt to injure his father’s chances at the presidency, but in an attempt to give voters a peek at the family dynamic.

The story of Romney and his dog is even more of an irrelevant distraction from the principal issues of the campaign than Hilary Rosen’s recent comments about stay-at-home Ann — but addressing the distractions isn’t stupid. All the little, insignificant issues add up to an understanding of the principles and priorities of the presidential candidates and of voters.

The Seamus story tells us less about Mitt Romney — it really doesn’t reveal anything new, as we already knew he’s a pragmatic person — than it does about us. When did animals become equivalent to people in the eyes of the American public, such that we couldn’t fathom treating our pets in any way other than the manner in which we treat our children? I appreciate that Romney gave priority seating to his children, that he clearly thinks human beings should take precedence over animals. That he’s wounded by the attacks tells us he cared about the dog — pets have a way of wriggling into our hearts, after all — but that he did what he did in 1983 tells us his focus was where it should have been, on ensuring a safe, comfortable drive for his family.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7 8

My sister lived in upstate New York while raising three toddlers. After a 24 inch snowfall, the roads were plowed, and she was trying to load the kids into the minivan. The youngest, twelve month old and zipped up in a snowsuit, had to be carried. Needing to set him down to lift the other two into the vehicle, she simply stuck him upright in a snow drift while she did so.

Does this mean my sister will never be allowed to run for public office?

DrStock on April 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Were I a kid again, and Dad asked me to ride on the roof because there was no room, I would have jumped at the chance.

How cool would that have been?

(After all, when we were teens, there were times when we rode up there when our parents weren’t driving!!!)

;-)

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM

tammyloc on April 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM

As in most HA conversations, both sides tend to use exaggeration to make their points, triggering a similar response. We end up with a situation similar to the one I described upthread with each poster trying to be the alpha of the pack and a glorious 500 post thread is the result. Quite enjoyable. No one’s mind gets changed but a good time is had by all and most get to talk about thie pets.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Guess I would challenge that conclusion. Many sane, normal pet owners project human characteristics onto their pets. It isn’t a sign of instability or insanity if the pet is considered part of the family.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM

First, this was after many pages of one moron equating pets to children — and that is far, far different from considering your pet “part of the family.” Pets are a part of the family — in the pet role, not the child role. Thinking otherwise is insane.

Second, sure, project human characteristics onto your pet all you want, but if you don’t recognize you are doing it for your own emotional fulfillment and not theirs, then there is a problem.

Dark Star on April 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I think it is especially the case, and this is anecdotal, that those who do not have children, have a tendency to dote on their pets way more than those who have kids. To them they are their ‘babies’.

tammyloc on April 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I know what you’re saying and to a degree you may be right. But I’m in the no kids, dog owner category. While our dog gives us great pleasure and fun to be around, he’s our dog, not our baby.

Well, ok…maybe he’s Mommy’s little love (all 100 lbs of him). And ok…so I talk to him a lot. And ok…so he has a bed in our bedroom. And ok…he gets to snuggle while we watch TV. And ok…he gets fed martini olives. And ok…he has a bed in the back of the SUV. But other than that, he’s all dog, just a dog, nothing else!!

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Aodhan on April 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM

just a guess, you didnt grow up in the ‘country’ didja? cause when you put down an animal, it aint callous, and it aint fun, and you do it out of love; with great pain. and comnpassion. if you only experience with animals is some dickhead cast in a 600 sq ft apartment in NYC, you can cram it.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Don’t the Mormon’s believe in living “prophets” just ask the prophet, he knows all…

Wait, what? The story’s about Mormon prophets now? See this is what always happens when I get up to get a snack, I miss the important exposition and then I don’t know what’s going on.

I have to admit, I’m at a bit of a loss here. Wait, don’t tell me, let me guess – Seamus really belongs to a Mormon prophet, who lost him many years ago, and the family is torn between giving up their beloved pet, and a conflict with their church. No? Was I close?

OK, how about… The dog is a harbinger of death – a symbol of the end-times, and his riding on the roof is a symbol of.. of… no, no I got nothing.

Oh wait a minute – maybe the dog is the prophet, but he’s been cursed to live like a dog, and the Romneys must break the spell… No, no I’m sorry, it just doesn’t work.

I leave for 5 minutes and when I get back, there’s been a sudden plot twist in an otherwise boring Chevy Chase movie, and now it’s all deep and stuff. Honestly, I hate it when they try to be clever and avant-garde like this.

The fact is, no matter how many kids are in the car, a dog finds room and comfort, and so would the kids.

right2bright on April 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I confess, I’m a bit confused on the geometry you’re using here.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

tammyloc on April 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I have four kids and two dogs. Being concerned for your dogs’ welfare is not making them your “babies”, it is being civilized. You people seem to have an either\or mentality. You think that someone who shows empathy for a pet is making the pet equal to a human. That is not the case. It is making sure the animal is cared for in a humane manner. Some of us, appropriately so, see Romney’s actions as lacking concern for the dog he chose to own.

Rose on April 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM

If you can’t comprehend the difference between a family pet and livestock, then I guess we can’t come to any agreements.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Why can’t you admit driving a car with a dog strapped on top for a seven hour trip is weirdly unique, creepy, a bit sadistic and wrong. You can vote for whomever you choose (this story should not affect your vote) but it is a very bizarre story.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Hey, how you doin’? Saw you responding to a couple of my comments a couple weeks ago.

Seriously, it really does depend on how Mitt prepped the doggy skybox. It could be that he prepared a really cool doggy condo. I’d have to see it before I judged Mitt. Part of me thinks that Mitt’s a pretty good Boy Scout to set the dog up like this.

Of course, if it were just a couple bungee cords, and Seamus was just getting blasted by the slipstream, it’s a different story. But the more I study Romney, the more I think that he may have put together a pretty good, practcal, safe trip for Seamus.

I wonder if we can get any volunteers here to try a recreation, before SNL comes out with their own?!?

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM

DrStock on April 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM

once you said “upright”, then i think, she’s cool.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Sticking your dog on the roof of your car?? A sure deal breaker for me! I’ll go with the guy who started his political career in the home of a terrorist…you know, someone who doesn’t have a checkered past.

Erich66 on April 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Heh.

From the Daily Caller:

Obama would never put a dog on top of a car. Dries out the meat.

tetriskid on April 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Tina, how can you write a over 600 word post on Mitt Romney’s dog-on-the-car-roof story with out mentioning that –

Romney and kids “assembled a shield to protect Seamus from the highway winds”

Seems like an important point to leave out.

chansen9 on April 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Does this mean my sister will never be allowed to run for public office?

DrStock on April 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Not unless she strapped the baby to the roof of the van. That would definitely be a disqualifier.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

as someone with 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 horses, a turtle, some ants, a hermit crab {i think hes still in there}, 3 kids (ages 6, 10, 24), one wife, one ex-wife; stick with the dog.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I really don’t get this meme. How long ago did this happen? Were the mores different about general animal treatment then than now. Heck I grew up when we didn’t have to wear seat belts in a car. I didn’t start wearing SB’s until I took a physics class my freshman year in college. Am I somehow some jerk because I road in a car until the age of 18 without a seat belt. Why all the judgmentalism in the meme. Cr*p I can’t believe an ambivalent voter like me has to defend the Romney’s.

chemman on April 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I want to give Romney a chance to show me he’s a frugal but practical guy. Guys like that cut the tops off of 2-liter bottles, instead of buying funnels. They cut the tops off of Arizona Ice Tea gallon jugs instead of buying tool boxes. They keep brown paper bags so that when they fry their shrimp and Freedom fries and lay them on the paper, they come out crisp.

I really would be curious to check out Seamus’ skybox. Maybe Mitt did a capable thing. Maybe not. But it sure is fun to speculate.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM

just a guess here…you’ve never owned any “livestock”, right?

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM

My 14 year-old cat, Tiger, just died… I could have spent hundreds of dollars to make him live a bit longer, but I decided to just let him die naturally and bury him in a priority mail box in the back yard. He was good pet, but he wasn’t one of my kids. So, I didn’t waste money that was otherwise needed to feed and clothe my human family to extend his life…

NuclearPhysicist on April 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

It is my personal opinion that if you take on a pet, you are taking responsibility for their life and their care, as another family member. You clearly look at pets as another piece of property that can simply be discarded when it becomes troublesome or costly. With all due respect, I do find your attitude callous, and I pity any animals that may come under your care in the future.

Aodhan on April 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Wow. Just wow. He doesn’t spend hundreds of dollars to slightly extend the life of a 14 year old cat, and that makes him callous?

You do know about that whole difference between dog/cat years vs people-years, right?

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Erich66 on April 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

If you don’t think about the possible ramifications, and you just look at it from a detached point of view, it is sort of funny. He stuck his dog on the roof of his car. But when you actually stop to think about it, it was a horrible decision.

That said, your point is very well made. There is simply no comparison. If I had a choice, I’d choose the candidate that didn’t stick his dog on the roof of his car. But I will in fact choose him over the one who started his career in the home of a terrorist. THAT is actually the deal-breaker.

Aodhan on April 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

chemman on April 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

People have changed. Everything has to be approved and safe. My little brother’s wife won’t allow anyone in his family to ride in any of my cars because they don’t have airbags. That he survived to marry her must have been an anomaly.

And if my middle brother is watching, don’t go telling tales, as I don’t feel like censoring my comments here, please, dude?

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Why is this weird. I still see dogs carried without restrain in the backs of pickups, in the front and back seats of cars and trucks with the windows rolled completely down.

chemman on April 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Yeah. As I thought.

No differences…except in your own emotional head.

See, I regard livestock as being due humane treatment, too.

And I’ve ridden bikes over long distances, without the ability to turn my butt to the wind, so I figure that ain’t “torture” by any definition. No harm whatsoever.

A lot of you people are just un-tethered from reality.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM

How you doin’? I’m totally over this, lol. It’s one of weirdest things I’ve ever heard to do to a family dog. I won’t vote for Obama, so there you go. I’ll speak up for the mutt’s treatment but I’ll most likely vote for the Mitt. Time to move on.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Were I a kid again, and Dad asked me to ride on the roof because there was no room, I would have jumped at the chance….

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM

i had an uncle who let us do that a couple times. lotta fun. he was drunk and high i beleive. and we were lightin fire crackers and throwin them at people as we drove by.hey it was the 60s. good times. my favorite uncle. my mom hated her brother in law.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I’m not arguing that people have changed. This is a non-issue from the past for me. Honestly people need to leave it there.

chemman on April 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Dogs are cool. Come on cat people, give it your best shot.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

NuclearPhysicist on April 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Aodhan on April 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Hey, hey, be nice. A cat that lives 14 years with a loving owner has had a long life, and was buried with care. Aodhan, don’t be cruel. That wasn’t nice.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM

yeah. and the worst thing that happened when you were 17 caught drinkin with your buddies and driving….was you had to pour it out. damn i miss those days.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Dogs are cool. Come on cat people, give it your best shot.
Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

i have a cat that thinks he’s a dog. he’s cool.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Dark Star on April 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

An animal is a piece of property. Of course, it is being done for the owner’s emotional fulfillment….just like buying season tickets for the Yankees or posting on HA. Everything we do in this world has a selfish basis, even charitable giving. We do stuff because it makes us feel good.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM

To be fair, callous was his own word. And yes, I do know the difference between cat vs people years. Cats can and often do live to be 20+ years of age. Those are people years, not cat years. I was trying to be as non-confrontational as possible, by pointing out it was my own opinion, which is subjective of course.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there who spend thousands of dollars on their dogs and cats each year, and they vote. And what Romney did, and the sentiments the poster I replied to shared, will strike many of them as highly unsavory. I guess I am one of those people. Were I inclined to vote, I would still vote for Romney anyway, but it is one more thing that will go in his negative column.

Aodhan on April 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

i have a cat that thinks he’s a dog. he’s cool.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Then he is cool. ; ) Do you ever let him ride on the roof of the car? Our cat hates boat rides. Which is odd because he also thinks he is a dog. : )

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Everyone has gotten too serious in America. I wonder if I can blame lawyers as a root cause? No offense to any lawyers here, but if law schools are graduating waves of lawyers every year, much higher than the replacement rate, don’t they have to find something to do? And don’t they have to end up in court with a case to make a living?

I would like to see enough factories, etc. reopened that the lawyers could find more work to do with their hands, or at least get some business training to help run these businesses, and so transition out of law without losing the ability to feed their families :-( And so reduce the burden of endless intrusive laws on all of our lives….

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Dogs are cool. Come on cat people, give it your best shot.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

And big dogs are cooler than little yappers. Bring it!!

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM

i dont get a colonoscopy every 5 years cause it makes me feel good.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM
I want to try that.

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Mitt’s parents were married when he was born. Can Soetoro say the same?

BHO Jonestown on April 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM

And big dogs are cooler than little yappers. Bring it!!

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

LOL! Thanks, I needed the laugh. ; )

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Warning! Canine on roof!!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Now that’s living. Eff the Waltons and NPR.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM

once you said “upright”, then i think, she’s cool.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Does this mean my sister will never be allowed to run for public office?

DrStock on April 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Thanks! She’s going to be really glad to hear this. She had to leave the state of New York and has been keeping a low profile for the past 20 years in Mississippi. Now it’s time to make her move into politics. Vote Maureen 2012!!!

DrStock on April 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Mitt’s parents were married when he was born. Can Soetoro say the same?

BHO Jonestown on April 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM

obambi’s dad was married when obambi was born……….

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM

BHO Jonestown on April 17, 2012 at 6:30
Barry’s dad married more women than Mitt’s dad did, so there!

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Aodhan on April 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I would just say that I’d like to see the situation. Can I see a situation where I took the dog to the vacation on the roof of my wagon? Definitely yes, depending on the accomodations. Dogs are pretty hardy and adventuresome, and love being with their family. Did Mitt screw up? No eveidence of that, yet. And, even if he did, did he do it again? I don’t see that as a big deal..

Unless Democrats are afraid that Mitt may put THEM on top of his wagon. In that case, I’d like to solicit donations to buy a fleet of ’78 Chevy Wagons and let’s take a LOT of them to the camp

/evil grin

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM

just a guess here… you’ve never owned any “livestock”, right?

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I grew up on a dairy farm in Northern Wisconsin. When I was little I’d cry when the calves were White Faced Herefords ’cause that meant they’d eventually be taken to the “other” farm down the road. The Holsteins stayed. We cared for the housecats but didn’t even bother to name the barn kitties. There is a difference between family pets and livestock. While, I, personally, have not owned any “livestock,” I grew up with them. You build up a wall of protection around your emotions because they are, essentially, food. That’s not the same with a dog, unless you are Obama.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Dogs are cool. Come on cat people, give it your best shot.
Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

i have a cat that thinks he’s a dog. he’s cool.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM

My dog says that if your cat wants to be accepted as one of the dogs, he has to pass a loyalty test first.

Are there any other cats in your neighborhood that people perhaps might not miss?

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

About time. I need a break. I’m going to go bait Madison Conservative for a while.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM

My dog is going to vote for Mitt Romney. No, he doesn’t have ID, that’s not a problem, right?

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Does he know how to “throw” dog gang signs?

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Did Obama eat a dog?

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Now that’s living. Eff the Waltons and NPR.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM

he was a cool dude. he looked like james dean. had a red convert t-bird at one time. used to go to these old abandoned strip mines in IL. these giant holes in the ground, deep as well, filled with water. you could swim down as far as you could go and never get close to bottom. and it was cold down there. and he rode bikes and took us with him thru the strip mine on the heartbreakers. and then he’d teach us to shoot, just a little 22. beer cans and bottles out there. when you are 10 or 11 that was cool. it was a different time. my kids havent ever had anything like that. oh damn, i remember one time, he was teachin me bow and he takes one and fired it straight up in the air, and we are watching it til we cant see it…then we both kinda come a realization and look at each other, our eyes bugged out, and we both took off in opposite directions running. i have no idea how far we ran. but eventually, we stopped and just started laughing our asses off.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM

To be honest, I, too, was upset with the dog, Seamus, story
when I first heard about it in the primary hunt.

Now that Romney, for all practical purposes, has won the primary
I could care less.

This is supposed to be a conservative blog I thought. Spending
time tearing down Romney with old stories is non productive.
We should be finding ways to get people to support Romney.
Don’t you have any feel good stories about him that you could
dig up?

In the interest of defeating the socialist/marxist/communist
Obama regime, I don’t care if Romney was caught smoking dope
and dancing naked on the tabletops at some biker bar.

And neither should you. We have a larger agenda to focus on -
actually more than one – house, senate and gov elections also
come to my mind.

Amjean on April 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Did Obama eat a dog?

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Yes, he ate it off the roof of the family car.

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I have a cat that thinks he’s a dog. he’s cool.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM

My goofy Springer was welped on a farm with cats. I think they rubbed off on him. He wraps around my legs when I walk and pushes between me and the cupboards when I’m cooking. He’s a velcro dog with cat-like tendencies but I still wouldn’t put him on the roof of my car.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

The only issue with putting a dog on top of a wagon, absent bad weather, would be wind.

Now, I saw some article awhile back where some professor tried to project the pounds per square inch on Seamus’ face.

Interesting, but pretty far-fetched. Unless that professor had an exact schematic of Mitt’s doggy penthouse, his opinion was worth about what rolled down Mitt’s tailgate window. Mitt made a windscreen, and it may have been quite effective. It may not have. So where’s the photo?

Yep, this is entertaining as heck, but until someone shows me a pic of Mitt’s windscreen, and can then measure the exact overpressure forces on Seamus’ chops, then anyone who’s getting upset here needs to “take a powder” (to use an antiquated phrase) :D

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Did Obama eat a dog?

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Yes, and he married oneas well.

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Maybe Mitt will make this a campaign song (courtesy of Pink Floyd)

Erich66 on April 17, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Would you ride in it?

angryed

Long as I had water and you were in the car, yes.

Zaggs on April 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Oh, your response made me laugh!

Amjean on April 17, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM
So much for moving on, huh?

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

he’s game. in our neck of the woods, he deals with foxes and coons nightly. we find balls of fur all over the place. i think he knows what to do.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Yes, and he married oneas well.

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Um, not cool around here…

ladyingray on April 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Did Obama eat a dog?

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:37 PM

wonder if michele knows. i dont think thats on her diet plan.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Were I a dog, I would want to ride on the very tippy-top of the vehicle… that way I could see and smell EVERYTHING!!!!

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM

This, frankly, is a nonstory. Dogs love riding in a car with their head sticking out the window or in the back of a pick up truck…just sayin’…

…overreach much????

ladyingray on April 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Did Obama eat a dog?

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Yes, he ate it off the roof of the family car.

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

And, in Indonesia. From our old friend, Jim Treacher.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

He did eat a dog.
What does angryed say about it?

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Can’t quite recall —–someone please tell the turkey joke!!!!

Amjean on April 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I hope he is still around and if not, had a long, happy life. :)

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Update: Obama would never put a dog on top of a car. Dries out the meat.

Haha

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Does he know how to “throw” dog gang signs?

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM

My dog died quite a few years years back, actually (after living about 16 years or so, with a long and happy life) – I was kidding above about the loyalty test…somehow “my deceased dog wants your cat to take a loyalty test” didn’t have the same ring to it…although I’m sure he would say that were he still with us – he was pretty hardcore.

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Of course not. My dog’s dead and he’s going to vote. I’m quite certain that it is allowed – at least it was in Illinois.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

He did eat a dog.
What does angryed say about it?

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Obama, quite the renaissance man. Great storyteller, father and leader. Bleecch—-that’s the vomit sound.
I read a couple of pages of his book at Costco and just confirmed what I already know. “I love me, I love me”—the alternate Barney song.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM

LOL ~ Moving right along

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM

…overreach much????

ladyingray on April 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Well, the critics are saying that Seamus was getting blasted by the wind, and got so scared he had an accident.

1. Mitt said he built a windscreen. That takes forethought, and it probably was pretty good.

2. Mitt didn’t say he put a Porta-Pottie atop the wagon. Apparently Seamus wasn’t listening when Mitt told the clan that if they had to go potty to do it now, because he wasn’t stopping.

3. Mitt was smart to keep the tailgate window up and to know where the gas-station hose was.

Sounds like Mitt had it covered. I’m actually going to give him a thumbs-up for the Seamus story :-) He sounds like a Scout leader and that’s OK with me. Hose off the car, gas up and keep the pedal to the metal :-)

Some liberals would have canceled the trip and taken Seamus to the local vet for a whole bunch of tests to see why he wasn’t able to obey voice commands to poop only when out of the cage.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM

You be careful with that, he will curse at you. : )

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Amjean on April 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Not sure about the turkey joke, but here’s a pretty good dog one.

Two drunks stagger out of a bar late at night and see a dog sitting in the middle of the street licking it’s genitals.

First drunk says to the other “Don’t you wish that you could do that?”

Second drunk watches the dog for a minute and says “Yeah, of course. But don’t you think we should pet him first?”

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

A dog in a car has the option of putting its head in or out the window and is able to move around.

Rose on April 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Fallon, I may have mentioned this little piece of wisdom imparted to me by one of the old Mountain women down here. If so sorry. Ms. Lamar told me once when I had mentioned to her I was getting some pigs. “Pigs are good son, just don’t ever pet them, they don’t make near as good a pet as they do bacon.”

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

lol. Very good. Alternate punchline is “Go ahead he won’t bite”.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Um, not cool around here…

ladyingray on April 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Really? I see commentors say the most vile things about Ann Romney, Sarah Palin and a slew of other conservative women around here at I don’t recall you stepping in. You should check yourself.

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Rose on April 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM
The dog could move around in Obama’s stomach too.

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Damn. I’m glad he’s on our side.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Rose on April 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

If a dog moves around enough in a car it can cause a wreck. A dog in a rooftop kennel can move around enough to see all the sights. A dog in a rooftop kennel, unless the kennel is made of gossamer, can move in/out of the airflow as it sees fit.

A dog in a kennel doesn’t have to smell its master’s farts after each truck stop.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:57 PM

If I were a dog, would I rather be in a kennel in the back of a wagon, or in a kennel on top of the wagon?

Hmmmm… does anyone remember the gated kennels in back of station wagons? I do. They sucked. No access to new smells, except exhaust creeping up through the shoddy Detriot seamwork. Focused sunlight through the sideglass made it hot. The rear axle made the metal floor hot to the touch. Steerage class transportation.

Rooftop? Fresh air, no glass concentrating the sun’s rays, new smells, bark and pee and poop as much as you want?

No contest.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Romney and kids “assembled a shield to protect Seamus from the highway winds”

Seems like an important point to leave out.

chansen9 on April 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Worth repeating.

farsighted on April 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I just strapped my boxers’s kennel on the roof of my Z71. I’m going to take her out for a spin. I bet she still likes me when I come back.

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I never understood the controversy over this. The dog was asked where he wanted to travel. He responded, “Roof! Roof!”

beancounter on April 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

The rear axle exhaust leaks made the metal floor hot to the touch. Steerage class transportation.

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

heh. tape her ears down , first !!!

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 7:02 PM

beancounter on April 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

*chuckle*’

Preach it!

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM

beancounter on April 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Her will is publicly available on PETA’s website. It includes that part of her body be made into a human barbecue, her skin made into leather products, her feet be made into umbrella stands, and various body parts sent to countries and organizations of which PETA disapproves.

Ick.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM

ewwwwwewwww…

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

592 comments on a dog of a story. Tina must be happy!

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Lets make it 600 for Tina!

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

There are RVs about the size of a pickup truck where there is an enclosed area above the cab used as a sleeping area. Would it be okay if the Mitt used one of those and Seamus slept there during the trip?

If so, how is this different from a well constructed box securely bound to the roof an auto?

If not, why not? How is this substantially different from a dog traveling in the back of a pickup?

farsighted on April 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Lets make it 600 for Tina!

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I’m still waiting for a response from Ladyingrey so I’ll help.

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Lets make it 600 for Tina!

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

For Tina… I really must make dinner… or a phone call. :)

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I hadn’t heard that story. I had a HS psychology teacher who liked to raise three pigs for slaughter every year or two. I went bananas at him in class when he told me he named his pigs and treated them like pets. I believe I called him a “sicko,” lol. I was maybe sixteen at the time and just thought he was the most twisted bast@rd ever for fooling the pigs into thinking they were pets. It was like he broke a rule or crossed a line or something.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM