Ann Romney: Seamus the Dog “loved” trips atop the car

posted at 1:21 pm on April 17, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Mitt Romney has a sensitive side, after all — and that side of him has felt most wounded by attacks on his one-time, long-ago treatment of Seamus the Dog, the Romney family’s former pet. At least, that’s what he recently told Diane Sawyer in an exclusive interview.

The Seamus story was first unearthed in 2007 by a reporter at The Boston Globe assigned to write a piece about Romney for a biographical series the newspaper published. By now, almost everyone knows the tale because, as Chris Cillizza put it, “Seamus is the dog who won’t die — politically, at least.” In 1983, the Romney family loaded up the family station wagon to drive from Boston to Ontario, strapping Seamus’ dog carrier — with Seamus inside — to the roof of the car. At some point on the trip, though, Seamus became ill (“he really had the runs” is how Ann Romney put it). Evidence of his sickness dripped down the window until the oldest Romney boy, Tagg, noticed it and yelled, “Dad! Gross!” Romney pulled into a nearby gas station, hosed down Seamus and the car, reinstated the dog in his carrier and strapped the carrier to the roof once more. In other words, he kept calm and carried on …

Plenty of Romney opponents have painted the episode as illustrative of Romney’s allegedly uncaring attitude — not just toward dogs, but toward everything. They’ve cited the Seamus story as evidence of Romney’s “otherness,” yet another way he’s out of touch with ordinary Americans.

But in the interview with Sawyer, Romney not only said he has been most wounded by attacks that include a mention of Seamus. Ann Romney also said Seamus “loved” trips atop the car.

“The dog loved it,” Ann Romney said. “He would see that crate and, you know, he would, like, go crazy because he was going with us on vacation.  It was to me a kinder thing to bring him along than to leave him in the kennel for two weeks.”

We’ll never know whether Ann Romney is right because, you see, dogs aren’t people and are unable to express themselves by more than an occasional bark or growl. It’s not, after all, as though Seamus himself told this story to The Boston Globe reporter five years ago, bravely speaking out after enduring a horrendous ordeal. No, one of the Romney sons revealed the story — and not in an attempt to injure his father’s chances at the presidency, but in an attempt to give voters a peek at the family dynamic.

The story of Romney and his dog is even more of an irrelevant distraction from the principal issues of the campaign than Hilary Rosen’s recent comments about stay-at-home Ann — but addressing the distractions isn’t stupid. All the little, insignificant issues add up to an understanding of the principles and priorities of the presidential candidates and of voters.

The Seamus story tells us less about Mitt Romney — it really doesn’t reveal anything new, as we already knew he’s a pragmatic person — than it does about us. When did animals become equivalent to people in the eyes of the American public, such that we couldn’t fathom treating our pets in any way other than the manner in which we treat our children? I appreciate that Romney gave priority seating to his children, that he clearly thinks human beings should take precedence over animals. That he’s wounded by the attacks tells us he cared about the dog — pets have a way of wriggling into our hearts, after all — but that he did what he did in 1983 tells us his focus was where it should have been, on ensuring a safe, comfortable drive for his family.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

The Romneys could have put the dog in a luxury kennel or hired an individual dogsitter. That is the issue that I think some have with the incident. Hopefully no one is dumb enough to base a vote on something like this, but there are some hardcore pet people out there.

McDuck on April 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Dark Star on April 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

have you EVER in your life seen a dog in crate with a windshield wiper strapped to the roof of a car?

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! When you asked if I would ever put my kids in a crate on top of the car & I answered that I don’t let my kids ride with the luggage on planes, this is all you can come up with?

I’ve wasted enough time responding to you. If you see your pets as your children, then you need more help than anyone on a message board can give you.

Dark Star on April 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Mitt Romney/Michael Vick ’12!!!/

portlandon on April 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Mister Ed already used that one earlier in the thread.

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Hmm… all Mobys getting their talking points from the same source?

Swerve22 on April 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

i can almost see the both of you frothing at the mouth with glee at the thougt of amundsens feats. fans of michael vick i presume?

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM

McDuck on April 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Single issue voters are bad?:)

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM

And on the expedition itself he and his fellow mushers actually slaughtered many more of them. Some for the crime of getting pregnant, others for being too old or too skinny.

Actually, that puts a moral component on it that did not exist.

No dog commits a “crime”.

Amundsen used his best judgment (his intelligence and experience) to determine which of the dogs would best help assure survival.

Those that were surplus to his needs were slaughtered…and cached for any future need…or fed to the other dogs.

Who ate them with relish. (They had chutney…).

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Yeah, but you are an idiot.

My Golden and I have an understanding…

come the zombie apocalypse, push come to shove, he will eat me…

if I have not eaten him first.

Fair all around. Parity.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

If the issue was that the dog simply had to go along and thus couldn’t be left with a sitter, then why wasn’t a larger vehicle obtained for the trip? There are just so many things weird about this story.

McDuck on April 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Your brother is a mom? Like I said, flyover country really is fascinating. I should visit some time.

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM
…says you from…err, flyover country :-)…

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM

angryed‘s mom…has a loud bark!

KOOLAID2 on April 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM

There are just so many things weird about this story.

The prime one being that so many hypocritical idiots pretend to care about it thirty years after the fact.

It WAS the NORM. It STILL IS.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

do you put your children in a crate on top of cart with a “windshield” mmmmmm i thought not.

the libs have hit a big demographic. lotta dog lovers out there. ann romney keeps talking and talking. the media will soon have it so that ann romney is a woman who wouldn’t mind if an animal suffered, so long as her precious sons were happy.

obama setting the narrative. mitt following dumbly along. rinse, lather, repeat.

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

See, dogs are dogs, and children are small human beings. I also didn’t have my daughter’s uterus removed when she was a toddler. But the dog? Yeah. She’s barren. And the cats? Well, they’re male cats. Or at least they used to be, until I had them castrated. Didn’t do that to my sons, though, what with them being human and all.

Sure, there are a lot of “dog lovers” out there, but most of them are not wackos who cannot distinguish between human beings and dogs. Is it sad when Fido dies? Sure. Many of us even shed a tear or two. Then we get a new Fido, and he’s just as cute and cuddly as the last one. Can’t do that with a kid either. There is a big ole difference between human beings and animals, and frankly, I’m not interested in my candidate whoring for the votes of a few nutballs who don’t know that. It’s fine if Barack Obama — and you — think there’s gold in them thar hills. Have at it. I am perfectly comfortable with your team going all in for the wacko vote — you’re most of the way there already. Woof! Woof!

Rational Thought on April 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM

McDuck on April 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I have an acquaintance who was dumb enough to vote for Obama in 2008. This time, I have been told by a mutual friend, she will not vote for Obama. Because he is a terrible President? Why no. Because he called up the owner of the Eagles and congratulated/thanked him for signing the animal torturer Michael Vick.

[Which was a damned stupid thing for Obama to do, I grant you - he has no business sticking his nose into these things.

But still.]

There are PLENTY of idiots who would base their non-vote for Romney on this story.

Missy on April 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I wonder how angryed feels about Obama actually eating dog, as he admitted in “Dreams of My Father.” Guess we’ll never know.

Jim Treacher on April 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM

McDuck on April 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM

No, there are animal lovers and there are batsh!t crazy people who think pets are children and who support PETA even though PETA shelters have the highest kill rate in the country.

I love animals & have always had pets, but I eat meat & wear leather. While I would never be deliberately cruel to an animal (by engaging in cock-fighting, dog-figthing, etc), I understand that animals are not people and projecting human characteristics on to animals is insane. The same people who do that are often the ones who have no problem assaulting humans by throwing paint on them for wearing fur or leather. Scr@w them.

When I evacuated for Hurricane Katrina, I took my pets with me (unlike others who left them behind). My big lab-mix rode in his crate in the bed of my dad’s pick up (we caravaned together as a family to evacuate so we could all be together once we got to safety) and you know what? It didn’t hurt him, it certainly didn’t kill him, and it was no different than the thousands of animals who are transported across this country (and the world) every day.

Dark Star on April 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Not sure that Amundsen and the modern pet owner had(have) equivalant value systems or goals regarding dog ownership. Dogs as a work unit are exploited to the maximum, then discarded by whatever means. Dogs as pets are not. Hence, laws against dogfighting. Greyhounds who can’t run are put down and more litters are whelped. The Animal Welfare Act specifically excludes livestock in animal research, after much lobbying by the livestock industry. It includes dogs abd cats.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

ah, he pulls out the idiot card. romney supporter. typical.

if its down to you and the dog, your the type that waits till his backs turned.

pphfttttt.

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM

All that is a lie, and you are a liar.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Jim Treacher on April 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Whoops! ……..LOL

The Ugly American on April 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Missy on April 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM

well, there are always plenty of idiots who will base their non-vote for Romney on any non-story, be it real or fictional…but these idiots are nothing new, they have not surfaced with this election cycle, they and their kind were there when Bush won twice, or Clinton, or whoever…am sure this year their pool is neither bigger nor smaller than usual…

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

What’s gross is that such a personal family moment was ever made public by Romney at all.
Nobody outside of that car should have known what happened.
Is there a family alive who doesn’t have some similar quirky cringe worthy story?

contrarytopopularbelief on April 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Dark Star on April 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Guess I would challenge that conclusion. Many sane, normal pet owners project human characteristics onto their pets. It isn’t a sign of instability or insanity if the pet is considered part of the family.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM

This is appalling. They strapped him on the roof of their car? It’s like they thought he was some kind of animal, or something.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Um…sorry.

That is NOT normal. It IS delusional. It may not be insane.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM

The next excuse will be that it was done out of necessary, due to a broken car horn.

kingsjester on April 17, 2012 at 4:31 PM

McDuck on April 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I know, right? That’s what I always do in that kind of situation – I go out and buy a new car.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 4:32 PM

One of the MANY reasons Roald Amundsen got all his men to the South Pole AND back alive was that he kept in mind that dogs are dogs.

People are people.

The two are not the same.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Don’t forget David Jarvis

PrettyD_Vicious on April 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Um…sorry.

That is NOT normal. It IS delusional. It may not be insane.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Um, have you ever met other humans?

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Nobody outside of that car should have known what happened.

contrarytopopularbelief on April 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Good point. I was thinking the same.
This story could have been me at some point in my life.
Not Seamus, but the kids and/or dad.
Who doesn’t have some sort of crazy vacation story.

Jabberwock on April 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Nobody outside of that car should have known what happened.

contrarytopopularbelief on April 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

come one now, you judge a 30-year old story based on standards and policies/laws that didn’t exist back then…Even PETA probably didn’t exist back then, or if they did indeed, they were probably a new organization focusing on the lab animals (monkeys, etc) and the animal testing…I was just born then, so I don’t know exactly their history, but I know that their claim to fame was related to that sort of activism…but I’m also pretty sure there were thousands of people who took their dogs on family trips and who rode in conditions similar to the ones described by the Romneys and nobody thought about it twice or thought that there was something wrong with it…you think it so through the current standards and perspectives…

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM

My 14 year-old cat, Tiger, just died. He had been looking a bit sickly for a few weeks. I could have spent hundreds of dollars to make him live a bit longer, but I decided to just let him die naturally and bury him in a priority mail box in the back yard. He was good pet, but he wasn’t one of my kids. So, I didn’t waste money that was otherwise needed to feed and clothe my human family to extend his life. In the view of some animal activists, I guess that this single act of pet neglect now disqualifies my for any notable political office. In their view, this callous disregard for pet life should be punishable by jail time and/or removal of my human children from my home. Although I respect the right of others to treat their pets like humans, it irks me when they attempt to force their world view on me. If there is a pet heaven, I suspect that Seamus and Tiger are looking down at this controversy and laughing their a**es off. What is next…a law entitled Obamapetcare?

NuclearPhysicist on April 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Um, have you ever met other humans?

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Alllllll kinds…

pretty much every day!

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM

PETA was “hatched” in 1980. Saw its nutty founder on TV last year, saying that she wants to be cut up and barbecued when she dies as a protest against animal cruelty. An attorney said that’s against the law, but–maybe in another country?

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

RINO, I probably would have left the dog with a sitter if the vehicle didn’t have enough room (and remembered the incident when it came time to get a new vehicle), but the point is that there were many options available to the Romneys and they chose one that very few people in the same situation would have ever selected. It is disturbing on some level, but it is not something one should base a vote on.

McDuck on April 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Nobody outside of that car should have known what happened.

contrarytopopularbelief on April 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Yes, we all have our quirky stories, but one must never speak of them in public. ever. I remember when I was growing up, and my dog did something amusing, my parents made it abundantly clear that this never goes outside of the family.

This deep shame of Romney’s is an intimate, personal moment of terrible weakness and he should never have been made public. He has dishonored his tribe.

I personally feel like this calls for seppuku. But that’s just ’cause I was raised right, unlike the rest of you bleeding heart sissy cocktail sipping RINOs.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Don’t the Mormon’s believe in living “prophets” just ask the prophet, he knows all…
The fact is, no matter how many kids are in the car, a dog finds room and comfort, and so would the kids. Strapping a dog to the top of the car is just strange, weird behavior, but hardly a reason not to support Mitt.
Now if he picked the dogs up by his ears…

right2bright on April 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM

What is next…a law entitled Obamapetcare?

NuclearPhysicist on April 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Don’t give them ideas . . .

“Millions of Americans have to make a choice between saving Old Yeller, or taking him behind the barn and being able to buy groceries the next day.”

NoDonkey on April 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

oh, ok, my bad, should have googled it, but am on the phone…is that s*&%t about their founder serious???…OMG, yess, it must be, it’s that crazy-looking Ingrid woman, I saw her on O’Reilly once and she couldn’t really articulate three coherent sentences and she had this weird, stupefied, spaced-out look…wow, now I know, there’s some serious derangement with this lady…

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Wow, you’re almost as Boring as angryed is.

H-

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Who ate them with relish. (They had chutney…).

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Okay, if you’re in a car with a dog on your roof for hours. How do you know that the dog is alright?

The luggage goes on the roof, the dog goes in the car.

There were eight in my family, six kids, two parents and, most of the time, two hunting dogs. We rode in the car together and the luggage was either in a carrier on top of the station wagon or my dad rented a U-haul.

I can’t fathom putting a setter in a crate and hoisting it up on top of a car and then driving one hour. It just would never enter my mind. Nor have I, in my 52 years of life on this planet, ever seen anyone driving around with a dog in a dog crate on top of their car, ever.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM

It is a little odd to strap a dog to the roof of the car, but at least he had a dog and wanted to take the dog on vacation. Obama never had a dog until it was politically necessary. Seamus was certainly more loved and cared for than Bo.

bopbottle on April 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM

NuclearPhysicist on April 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Do you ridicule them for that? Are they insane or delusional? A big problem with this is both sides state their positions in hyperbolic, exaggerated communication and present opinion as if it were fact. I don’t know why they think that is necessary. All dogs and cats aren’t pets and don’t benefit from what that brings. Different rules apply to them. I’ve toured a dog breeding establishment that raised purpose bred pups for research. The bitches are caged their whole lives, impregnated as often as possible and their life span is determined by profit margin(litter size and frequency). That’s just the way it is. All pet owners aren’t nutty for loving their pets as they would a human. Life isn’t black and white.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 4:57 PM

McDuck on April 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

It would be disturbing if he were tormenting the thing. It sounds to me like the dog was enjoying it most of the time, and that he was miserable that one time because he was sick.

I can’t be sure, though, because I haven’t really bothered to read up on this story. Probably because every time I even think about looking into this I start realizing how trite and stupid politics is and get depressed.

I remember when we went on a trip, when I was a kid, we always left our dog at the kennel. And I know he hated it because whenever he heard the word kennel, he would start wimpering and getting all upset.

Eventually he got used to it and started to like it, but I doubt he would have minded coming along with us instead. We on the other hand, might have minded.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Yes, many pet owners tend to anthropomorphize their pets, it’s almost impossible not to. However, just assigning human characteristics to an animal doesn’t actually give them those chracteristics. From the dog’s point of view, he probably just thinks you’re a little odd but he doesn’t care as long as you feed him. Jut because you love your dog, it does NOT mean that your dog loves you back!

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Have a look here.
I think you will say. Now I’ve seen everything.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM

That’s the one angle of this story that no one on the Left can explain.

If what Romney did with his dog was so “unusual”, why didn’t at least 1 person in one of the many thousands of other vehicles he and his family encountered on the many busy interstates they drove on report him?

And how come his car was never pulled over for having a dog crate on the car roof?

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 5:01 PM

NuclearPhysicist on April 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

+100
Needs repeating. Animals are not human, not dogs, not cats, not birds, not horses, not chickens, etc. They are animals. Yes we should treat them as well as we can but their needs should never out-weigh ours. I have had to cull plenty of puppies. For those unfamiliar with the term, it simply means euthanizing the deformed, extremely ill, unlikely to survive ones at birth. These were all hunting dogs meant to run and enjoy life. Not spend their probably short life in a cage unable to function as they should. People think this is horrible. I don’t.
As for Seamus, I see no difference in riding on top of the car to a dog sticking its head out the car window or riding in the back of a pickup.

Deanna on April 17, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Or at any of these.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM

bopbottle on April 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Yes he did, you lying liar.

Jim Treacher on April 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Oh, wait, you meant as a pet, not dinner.

I’d watch my back if I were Bo.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Could one of you animal rights people please explain how riding on a car in a pet carrier with a windshield is different than riding in the back of a truck bed or on a motorcycle? I’ve seen dogs in such situations many times and none of them looked tortured or unhappy. I just don’t get it.

NuclearPhysicist on April 17, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Actually, if you ever spent much time on the road, you have.

You just didn’t have the wit to recognize it.

You have also seen hundreds of animals being hauled down the road in open trailers.

Along with perhaps thousands of humans in open convertibles or on bikes.

Damn…

This is getting old AND discouraging.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM

NoDonkey on April 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Don’t have to buy as many groceries, either…

affenhauer on April 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM

McDuck on April 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Have you ever seen dogs with their heads out the car windows or riding in the back of pick-up trucks? How is that any different? Actually a dog with its head out a window is in more danger from debris and allowing them to do that may not be such a good idea. So why do people let them do it? Two reasons, dog slobber and car sickness, and they know the dog likes it.

Deanna on April 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Jut because you love your dog, it does NOT mean that your dog loves you back!

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Not in the same way. Dogs are pack animals and require an alpha to be satisfied. They can be happy either as the dominant or one of the followers, but that relationship must exist. In households which one of the humans is considered the pack leader, that pack bond holds true. In households where the dog isn’t sure or is trying to assume dominance, discipline issues arise. But, you are correct…doggy love is different than human love, although the pack bonding can be very strong.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Damn…

This is getting old AND discouraging.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM

People see what they want to see. You have to wonder how many of these same people walk their dogs and allow the dogs to pull them down the sidewalk. Who is in charge any way? LOL

Deanna on April 17, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Madam…!!!

We are just good friends!

Heavens, what you must think…!!!

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM

So The Won ate dog? Issue over.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM

The luggage goes on the roof, the dog goes in the car.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Yes, that sounds like a great idea – sitting in a car for hours with my dog. What could go wrong?

I remember some of the longer car trips from when I was younger – it was bad enough having to be in the same car for hours with other people, let alone an animal.

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Dang, I missed the angryed pile-on!

Well, this will do.

There’s even a web submission form. All requests, no matter how trivial — pipe them to the Almighty.

Seriously, the jokes just write themselves. :)

Come on. You don’t have to use the code words anymore. You’re among friends! Like minded individuals! Like angryed!

Now if he picked the dogs up by his ears…

Quick, let me check with the prophet to see if there is a difference between the one-ear lift and the binaural.

right2bright on April 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Prufrock on April 17, 2012 at 5:13 PM

So The Won ate dog? Issue over.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Pretty much says it right there.

Rational Thought on April 17, 2012 at 5:23 PM

So The Won ate dog? Issue over.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Shhh, let them keep going for a while longer.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Actually, if you ever spent much time on the road, you have.

Along with perhaps thousands of humans in open convertibles or on bikes.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM

No. I have not seen a dog in a crate on top of a car on a road, ever. Seriously, have you?

You are now arguing apples to oranges. I’ve seen livestock being hauled in specialized livestock trailers and transports but not on top of cars in crates. I’ve seen many a horse in an air conditioned trailer but not on top of the trailer in a crate. I’ve seen people safely inside convertibles but not on top of convertibles in crates.

Why can’t you admit driving a car with a dog strapped on top for a seven hour trip is weirdly unique, creepy, a bit sadistic and wrong. You can vote for whomever you choose (this story should not affect your vote) but it is a very bizarre story.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I’m imagining my ex and his tribe of 4-8 big dogs standing up on the back of his pickup, him riding down the interstate, I guess hoping they don’t jump off. Oddly, no cops or anyone has ever seemed to care or point out that this was dangerous to everyone,except me. I was alive in the 80s, and I don’t remember people treating their pets like humans, except for a few old dotty ladies who had like lap chihuahuas because their hubbys were dead. I don’t know if that’s just a Southern thing, or what.

di butler on April 17, 2012 at 5:26 PM

????? I’m pretty sure Seamus was scared ****less.(I think Ms. Korbe never had a dog in her family.)

Normal people don’t strap a crate with their dog on top of their car to take on vacation. This is an issue due to Flip Romney’s inability to relate and connect with average Americans. Most Americans view their dogs as a member of their family.

RedRobin145 on April 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Shhh, let them keep going for a while longer.

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Doing my best.:)

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I talk to and for my cats all the time.

gerrym51 on April 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

“I’ve seen livestock being hauled in specialized livestock trailers and transports but not on top of cars in crates.”

A distinction without a difference. As in NONE.

I think that you believe a family of seven drove seven hours without a stop is weirdly unique, creepy, and strains credulity.

I’ve hauled horses, cattle, goats, and pigs…not to mention dogs…and you stop occasionally to check them and tend to their needs.

Even professional cattle haulers do.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM

On some of those trips I took—-four adults, two of us kid victims inside a nice Buick but the adults were playing steam locomotive with their cigs., I would have rather been with a wet dog.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 5:33 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM

We always had our dogs with us and we were packed like sardines eight in a station wagon for long drives. It really wasn’t an issue and we took trips with the dogs in the car before air conditioning. I guess you are either an animal person or you’re not.

The only time I would ever see my gruff, mecurial, WWII purple heart recipient dad cry was when one of our dogs died.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM

The luggage should have been on top and the dog in the wagon. Romney made a poor choice. And the idea that people who are concerned about the treatment of animals are stating that they are as important as people are being dishonest. Obviously people are more important but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be concerned for the welfare of animals we have chosen to own.

Rose on April 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I’ve got a 3 year old Golden Retriever and a 40 year old MGB. He jumps in the passenger seat of that car, back legs on the seat, front paws on the dash, head and shoulders above the windshield, ears flapping in the wind…and he freaking loves it!

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Dogs riding in convertibles with the top down, without a seat belt.

Dogs ride in the back of pickup trucks, without a seatbelt.

farsighted on April 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I’m sure angryed will oblige.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I tried to be super responsible and take out two new pups in the car in their crate (inside) and the little suckers ralphed every 1/2 mile. Happy happy joy joy!

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Too dry. A nice braise might work better. Mad ed would like it.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I talk to and for my cats all the time.

gerrym51 on April 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I talk to my dog all the time too. He doesn’t understand a word (except “peanut butter” and “treats”) but he humors me!

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM

It was actually 12 hours, and our dogs will put their heads out the window but only for a while. 12 hours is a long time.

Rose on April 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM

RINO in Name Only on April 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM

C’mon, what happened, I forgot. We’re family here. Let me guess, sniff or hunch?

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I didn’t say without a stop. I said a seven hour trip. There is a huge difference between hauling livestock in a trailer and strapping a crate containing the family dog in on top of a station wagon. Even stopping every few hours would not be enough to guarantee the safety and well-being of the dog on the roof. As a professional hauler, I’d think you more than anyone would understand the difference.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM

RedRobin145 on April 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I also wondered if Tina has ever had a dog. We never had a problem in telling when our dog was in distress. We once left her in a kennel while on vacation and even though she couldn’t talk, when we picked her up she acted so spooked we never took her back there again.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I’ve never seen a dog in a crate on top of a car. It doesn’t compare with a dog in a truck bed because the cab of the truck acts as an immovable shield against wind and noise.

We took our dog and cat with us on one trip and evacuated with them from a hurricane on another. The dog was on the floor inside the car while the cat was inside the dog crate in the car behind the passenger seat.

Rose on April 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I agree.

INC on April 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM

No kidding. Why was this in reply to me? Why are you knee jerk replying about PETA?

Reframing it as a story of the 80′s, and a different time and place, of different attitudes towards pets is self defeating though, and outright wrong. Why? Because it’s irrelevant.

My point? What family hasn’t caught their dog drinking out of the toilet bowl, eating tampons, vomiting from eating rotten food from the garbage, running to the vet for all matter of things that occur even with the most responsible of pet owners.

The difference is, we don’t normally share those stories with strangers. Especially voting strangers. Especially voters who have seen Chevy Chase movies.

contrarytopopularbelief on April 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM

He jumps in the passenger seat of that car, back legs on the seat, front paws on the dash, head and shoulders above the windshield, ears flapping in the wind… and he freaking loves it!

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I’m sure he does. He is with you, inside the car where you can keep an eye on him and you are not driving this way for seven hours.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 5:46 PM

ears flapping in the wind…and he freaking loves it!

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Bless you for that.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Really. Than it ought to be a piece of cake for you to tell us about the HUGE differences. And why stopping every few hour would not be enough.

Oh, and explain how this is different than a long bike trip.

We’ll wait…

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Rose on April 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I agree, too.

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Our three dogs are like our children. The fact that Romney put his own dog on the top of his car, where it could have been blown or knocked off, not to mention it is just unsafe and cruel, is almost a deal breaker for me. It takes a special kind of stupid to do something like that. It shows that he considers his dog not as a family member, but as simply another possession that can be packed on the roof, like a mountain bike or skis. It’s disgusting. And it tells me a lot about the man.

Aodhan on April 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Yep! From Ingrid Newkirk’s Wikipedia page (I refuse to go to PETA’s site and read her execrable ‘Last Will and Testament‘):

Her will is publicly available on PETA’s website. It includes that part of her body be made into a human barbecue, her skin made into leather products, her feet be made into umbrella stands, and various body parts sent to countries and organizations of which PETA disapproves.

Ick.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM

And why stopping every few hour would not be enough.

Oh, and explain how this is different than a long bike trip.

We’ll wait…

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Got a mouse in your pocket?

Well. The dog could die. The dog was already sick and being transported on top of a car, which no one here has admitted to doing or even seeing before is extremely stressful on an animal. A sick animal can get dehydrated very easily and there was no way for the Romneys to keep an eye on him.

Long bike trip? Do you mean a motorcycle or a bicycle? And are you talking about a person or a dog in or on said vehicle? Seriously, I have no idea what you are trying to say. Are you equating a person choosing to ride a motorcycle with a dog being put on the top of a station wagon in a crate? ‘Cause I don’t see how you can compare the two. (BTW ~ Hubby rides a Road King.)

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM

For those that feel an animal is an animal and should be treated as such (like my dad believed), this type of thing was perfectly fine! For those who believe that animals are like their children, and baby them like such (as my mom does, which drove my dad nuts!) then they will be offended. It all depends on how one views their pets. Some people gush over their pets beyond ridiculousness, others dump some dry food in a bowl and that is it. I think it is especially the case, and this is anecdotal, that those who do not have children, have a tendency to dote on their pets way more than those who have kids. To them they are their ‘babies’.

tammyloc on April 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Which explains why so many people in so many cars who saw Romney’s car on the many Interstates they traveled on that day immediately took down his license number, got off the highway at the next exit, and called the cops? (Remember, no cell phones back then, though CB radio was still a craze).

And this also explains why none of the many cops they passed on all of those same highways pulled them over for having a dog crate on the roof…

Come to think of it, where were all the truckers driving the 18 wheelers? You’d think they would see the top of Romney’s car even more easily, being that much higher in the cab and all.

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Most Americans view their dogs as a member of their family.

RedRobin145 on April 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Which is why they leave them in kennels while they go away?

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Aodhan on April 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Super Mitt will be hounded by this all campaign long.

FlaMurph on April 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM

BUZZZZZ…..

Wanna try again…???

You told us this was HUGELY different than hauling stock in a trailer.

I have not seen one effort at stating a difference (as expected.)

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Again, state the differences, ’cause I think from a…you know…REALITY point of view, there are none.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM

seamus never worked a day in his life. i dont give a damn. not all of us can afford to be SAHDs.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I am just waiting for the first animal-lover to tell me he’s/she’s nixing the Romster because of Seamus’ Excellent Adventure.

I’ll be waiting to ask them if Seamus’ discomfort outweighs the lives of the dogs that may starve because Barry’s policies have forced all the old folks to hoard all the Alpo….

cane_loader on April 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Too dry. A nice braise might work better. Mad ed would like it.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM

She might be tolerable with fava beans and a nice chiaaaanti–ffffft!

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Fallon on April 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

i think pople who try to tie king size beds ontop of volvos are weirder. meh.

t8stlikchkn on April 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM

My 14 year-old cat, Tiger, just died… I could have spent hundreds of dollars to make him live a bit longer, but I decided to just let him die naturally and bury him in a priority mail box in the back yard. He was good pet, but he wasn’t one of my kids. So, I didn’t waste money that was otherwise needed to feed and clothe my human family to extend his life…

NuclearPhysicist on April 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

It is my personal opinion that if you take on a pet, you are taking responsibility for their life and their care, as another family member. You clearly look at pets as another piece of property that can simply be discarded when it becomes troublesome or costly. With all due respect, I do find your attitude callous, and I pity any animals that may come under your care in the future.

Aodhan on April 17, 2012 at 6:09 PM