Ann Romney: Seamus the Dog “loved” trips atop the car

posted at 1:21 pm on April 17, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Mitt Romney has a sensitive side, after all — and that side of him has felt most wounded by attacks on his one-time, long-ago treatment of Seamus the Dog, the Romney family’s former pet. At least, that’s what he recently told Diane Sawyer in an exclusive interview.

The Seamus story was first unearthed in 2007 by a reporter at The Boston Globe assigned to write a piece about Romney for a biographical series the newspaper published. By now, almost everyone knows the tale because, as Chris Cillizza put it, “Seamus is the dog who won’t die — politically, at least.” In 1983, the Romney family loaded up the family station wagon to drive from Boston to Ontario, strapping Seamus’ dog carrier — with Seamus inside — to the roof of the car. At some point on the trip, though, Seamus became ill (“he really had the runs” is how Ann Romney put it). Evidence of his sickness dripped down the window until the oldest Romney boy, Tagg, noticed it and yelled, “Dad! Gross!” Romney pulled into a nearby gas station, hosed down Seamus and the car, reinstated the dog in his carrier and strapped the carrier to the roof once more. In other words, he kept calm and carried on …

Plenty of Romney opponents have painted the episode as illustrative of Romney’s allegedly uncaring attitude — not just toward dogs, but toward everything. They’ve cited the Seamus story as evidence of Romney’s “otherness,” yet another way he’s out of touch with ordinary Americans.

But in the interview with Sawyer, Romney not only said he has been most wounded by attacks that include a mention of Seamus. Ann Romney also said Seamus “loved” trips atop the car.

“The dog loved it,” Ann Romney said. “He would see that crate and, you know, he would, like, go crazy because he was going with us on vacation.  It was to me a kinder thing to bring him along than to leave him in the kennel for two weeks.”

We’ll never know whether Ann Romney is right because, you see, dogs aren’t people and are unable to express themselves by more than an occasional bark or growl. It’s not, after all, as though Seamus himself told this story to The Boston Globe reporter five years ago, bravely speaking out after enduring a horrendous ordeal. No, one of the Romney sons revealed the story — and not in an attempt to injure his father’s chances at the presidency, but in an attempt to give voters a peek at the family dynamic.

The story of Romney and his dog is even more of an irrelevant distraction from the principal issues of the campaign than Hilary Rosen’s recent comments about stay-at-home Ann — but addressing the distractions isn’t stupid. All the little, insignificant issues add up to an understanding of the principles and priorities of the presidential candidates and of voters.

The Seamus story tells us less about Mitt Romney — it really doesn’t reveal anything new, as we already knew he’s a pragmatic person — than it does about us. When did animals become equivalent to people in the eyes of the American public, such that we couldn’t fathom treating our pets in any way other than the manner in which we treat our children? I appreciate that Romney gave priority seating to his children, that he clearly thinks human beings should take precedence over animals. That he’s wounded by the attacks tells us he cared about the dog — pets have a way of wriggling into our hearts, after all — but that he did what he did in 1983 tells us his focus was where it should have been, on ensuring a safe, comfortable drive for his family.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 8

you just might have inferred, from my HotAir name, that I went to Oklahoma State University,

That would presuppose that I gave a flying phuc about you. (As stupid an assumption as your others, so…in character, anyhow.)

You explicitly stated that a law degree and a science degree were redundant.

I expressly call you a liar.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Maccacas are real!

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Where is the evidence that the dog suffered? Would his experience not be similar to someone riding a motorcycle with no helmet?

Kataklysmic on April 17, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Heck, if you come to the Sturgis motorcycle rally in August you would see several dogs riding on motorcycles, without even dog carriers, and of course, no helmets. Sometimes the owner has a piece of carpet on the gas tank in front of him and the dog sits on that, or sometimes the dog sits on the seat behind the owner.I have seen dogs in milk crate carriers on the back of motorcycles too. Both dog and human seem to enjoy themselves.

I doubt it is torture though or that the dog would be better off locked up at home or in a kennel instead of out enjoying the day with his human buddy.

But if he is so worried about animal torture, Angryeyes should come and preach to these guys about the errors of their ways and liberate these poor, poor, animals. He can probably headquarter at the PETA tent with the folks who are there protesting against the use of leather in clothing. Maybe he could convince the PETA folks to throw some red paint on a biker or two instead of only picking on defenseless starlets.

Lily on April 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Didn’t Obama’s supporters used to call him pragmatic because he came off as cold and detached? Do pundits go to a school where they are taught to repeat the same tired adjectives to described plastic candidates; and end everything key point as a spiritual learning experience for the voter?

OliverB on April 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Nobody goes to law school in the U.S. (an accredited law school, that is)…

WITHOUT an undergrad degree.

That you don’t seem to know that shows your claim to have a JD is a lie.
Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I support you in spirit in your fight against trolls, but that statement does need some correction. There are quite a few 6 yrs combined B.A./J.D. programs, where the first year of law school counts toward the final year of college and the students in those programs got both degrees. Of course, students in those programs are outstanding, and had passed their LSAT in flying color as a junior, and have always know that they wanted to pursue a legal degree. And I am not sure your antagonists came close.

galtani on April 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM

It runs out that Indonesians consider dog a delicacy… unless they are Muslim.

So, I am wondering if Obama’s family enjoyed a little puppy leg at meal time, or if they had religious objections.

faraway on April 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Lily on April 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I thought you were making fun of the women who show up to Sturgis for about half of that.

NotCoach on April 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

ANOTHER, real life (i.e., the kind actual PEOPLE live) example of how “tortured” a dog would be riding in a carrier.

EXACTLY the same as a HUMAN riding a bike.

With the happy exception for the FLUCKING DOG that it can turn its butt to the wind if it wants.

(Try that on a bike for any length of time…)

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Your brother is a mom? Like I said, flyover country really is fascinating. I should visit some time.

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Make sure you rent a 4X4 Pick-Up.
The Prius might give you away.

Jabberwock on April 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Sorry, I haven’t been reading angryeds comments ; )

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM

NotCoach on April 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Heh. Me too.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

There are quite a few 6 yrs combined B.A./J.D. programs

Must be a new wrinkle since I went. It does make some sense, especially given the trash degrees a lot of people take in advance of law school.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM

NotCoach on April 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

An easy mistake to make. There is a reason they call it Riding B!tch.

Lily on April 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Make sure you rent a 4X4 Pick-Up.
The Prius might give you away.

Jabberwock on April 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Should I get a gun rack too and put those charming testicles on the trailer hitch…you know to really blend in.

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM

The story of Romney and his dog is even more of an irrelevant distraction from the principal issues of the campaign than Hilary Rosen’s recent comments about stay-at-home Ann — but addressing the distractions isn’t stupid. All the little, insignificant issues add up to an understanding of the principles and priorities of the presidential candidates and of voters.

then why are you posting a quazilionth post on an ‘irrelevant distraction’ (in your own words)???

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I know people like Angryed. They get aggressive rats that they call a dog that they never train or discipline and take it our on walks without a leash. When the dog charges over and attacks another dog, and that dog defends itself the same way, that person gets really upset that their dog doesn’t win the fight. Sometimes the dog doesn’t even make it across the street because a large moving steel container runs it over at 30 mph.

PrettyD_Vicious on April 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM

When I think classy, I think Sturgis.

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

…says you from…err, flyover country :-)…

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Getting SOME acquaintance with a pair of testicles might just be exactly what you need.

Human testicles… (I figured I should add that, given your predilection…)

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM

please dude…stop getting more cliché by the minute. It’s pathetic.

DHChron on April 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Don’t forget to wear your “Daisy Dukes!”

CurtZHP on April 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

hey Ed! Why don’t you come and visit my bro sometime…see if he takes kindly to your disrespect. He only knows ten ways to kill you with his bare hands, so it should be fine.

DHChron on April 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

changer1701 on April 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM

LOL! She did. That was one of the very rare times she didn’t come with us.

We pretty much took her everywhere, even to Gettysburg one year. My parents made it a point to look up hotels that took pets.

The dog had a great time. (We did, too.) She barked her head off at all the statues and the Civil War reenactors. :)

PatriotGal2257 on April 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

It seems mean and uncaring to most people to tie a family pet to the roof of a car. The fact the the dog had the runs makes it 5x worse. It seems there should have been room in the station wagon for the dog. For people who consider their pets to be part of the family, this seems like uncaring behavior. If the family pet was just another animal to Mitt (an acceptable viewpoint), that would explain his actions. Bottom line, this story is harmful to Mitt among the non-political types who only vote in the presidential elections.

ZippyZ on April 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Well go for it since you have no testicles of your own.

JPeterman on April 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Make sure you rent a 4X4 Pick-Up.
The Prius might give you away.

Jabberwock on April 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Won’t matter much once you get out and start talking.
Although, I would expect the locals would be kind enough to give you some lattitude. They are like that.

Jabberwock on April 17, 2012 at 3:02 PM

In 1983, I’m pretty sure my parents were strapping me to the roof of the car. It wasn’t like today…no car seat safety standards :-)

DHChron on April 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I remember sitting on my mom’s lap in the front passenger seat. In comparison, riding around in the bed of my granddad’s pick up (which I loved, btw) was a much safer alternative.

And no, angryed, none of that that makes me a hick. The fact that I learned how to reload a shot gun before I started grammar school is what makes me a hick — but you know what? Even though my daily lifestyle doesn’t require it, if I had to catch my own food and live off the land to survive, I could, which is more than I bet you can say.

Dark Star on April 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

ZippyZ on April 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Especially for the cars that happened to be behind them…

affenhauer on April 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Ragspierre

The AILE (Accelerated Interdisciplinary Legal Education) Program at Columba Univeristy

The AILE Program annually provides up to one or two Columbia College students with outstanding records the opportunity to earn the B.A. and the J.D. degree in six years. Students matriculate at the Law School after their junior year, having completed the required 93 points including the College Core requirements and a concentration.

It is not necessarily so well known, and only a few high power law schools offer those. I know Columbia because my cousin went through that program. They accept one or two student a year from Columbia College into the law school.

galtani on April 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM

The fact the the dog had the runs makes it 5x worse.

ZippyZ on April 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Trust me, if you’ve ever had a dog with the runs inside the car you’d think it was five times better!

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM

WARNING!!!

Look away angryed. This picture is just to graphic for your sensitive little heart.

Tourture!

In the name of all things holy! WHY GOD? WHY???

Ampersand on April 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM

When I think classy, I think Sturgis.

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Oh, suddenly I see where the “torture” aspect of riding in a carrier on top of the car comes in here.

Poor Seamus was soooo embarrassed that he didn’t get to ride inside with rest of the humans. What if Muffy the cute Pomeranian from the Kennel Club saw him? How would he EVER live down the indignity of it? He could never attend the next Westminster knowing they knew that he RODE ON TOP OF A CAR like a peasant in India or a hick from Sturgis!

Lily on April 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

When I think classy, I think Sturgis.

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Sturgis is one of the 3 largest annual motorcycle rallies in the US.

And before you go spouting off about Biker Demographics, there’s also a huge annual motorcycle rally in Myrtle Beach that’s exclusively for African-Americans; they get 400,000 people a year.

By the way, one of the other Top 3 US motorcycle rallies is in…Laconia, NH.

The same Laconia that is less than 20 miles from Mitt’s Summer White House.

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Don’t forget to wear your “Daisy Dukes!”

CurtZHP on April 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM

You just know he’s got a couple of pairs of those.

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

What a dumb story. Almost as dumb as the democrats and ABRs who are trying to advance it.

Dogs eat poop. Once you’ve decided that poop is a delicacy surpassed only by the taste of your own private parts or perhaps a vomited hairball the cat has left behind, riding in a kennel on top of the car with its own windshield is kind of a let down. All the dog wants to do is get out of that kennel…and eat some more poop. Oh, the humanity…

Rational Thought on April 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Gee why can’t we talk about pussies? Kitty cats that is.

celtic warrior on April 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

WARNING!!!

Tourture!

In the name of all things holy! WHY GOD? WHY???

Ampersand on April 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM

OMG! You are one sick puppy!

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Don’t forget to wear your “Daisy Dukes!”

CurtZHP on April 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM

You just know he’s got a couple of pairs of those.

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I just threw up in my mouth…

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I just threw up in my mouth…

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Sorry.

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Did Obama ever pack up the family station wagon and take the family on vacation ? With or without a dog ?
More of a plane guy, I’ve heard.

Jabberwock on April 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Rational Thought on April 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Bill Engvall’s take on dogs and poop:

I took Duke to the vet ’cause he eats his own turds, and I asked the vet, “Isn’t that unusual?” and he says, “No, a lot of dogs do that. Just take some of this powder here, sprinkle it on his food and it’ll make him stop.” I said, “What’s it do?” He says, “It makes his turds taste bad.” I said “I’m sorry, Doc, did you just say ‘it will make his turds taste bad’?” Let me tell you something, if you’ve stooped to eating turds, you’ve never uttered the phrase, “Oh my God! This is nasty!”

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Did Obama ever pack up the family station wagon

Can he drive…???

Serious question.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

umm i would keep quiet about that. not the best reputation. some restaurants actually close in anticipation.

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

ZippyZ on April 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Especially for the cars that happened to be behind them…

affenhauer on April 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Funny how in all of those hours on busy highways, absolutely no one was offended enough to take the time to call the cops and complain about someone carrying a dog carrier atop their car. And no law enforcement officers bothered to stop them either.

But as we all know, dogs never get the runs when they are rising inside the car with the family…

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Jabberwock on April 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Moochelle usualy rides in the back.

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on April 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Not usually so favorably disposed towards lawyers, but you’re gaining a fan here!

Boomer Sooner!

tomshup on April 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

ZippyZ on April 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

It seems to me only a total moron can read about a dog in a crate with a windshield strapped to the top of a car and comprehend that as “tie a pet to the roof of a car.” The dog wasn’t “tied” to the top of the car — the dog was in a crate — with a windshield — and the crate was tied to the top of a car. If you can’t comprehend the difference between the two scenarios, you’ve got bigger problems than being concerned with how “mean and uncaring” other people are.

Dark Star on April 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Yet again, he’s fighting on Obama’s turf.

Change the narrative or lose. That’s what’s facing us in November.

alwaysfiredup on April 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

My comment was more to the point of dog-runs blowing out of the crate into the path of following traffic…

affenhauer on April 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Supposedly it’s not as bad as in years past. Assorted groups have stepped up their monitoring to make sure there is no hanky panky.

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Yes, by all means, you should, and until you do, you should refrain from commenting about it, because you have no clue what you’re talking about.

JannyMae on April 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM

LOL! She did. That was one of the very rare times she didn’t come with us.

PatriotGal2257 on April 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I have two Scotties, and oddly enough neither really seems to enjoy car trips that much. I’ve tried not to consider it an indictment of my driving (heh). They do tend to bark like mad at other people and inanimate objects, though.

changer1701 on April 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Jabberwock on April 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Oh please, he is so humane that his dog gets a separate jet. He should get the PETA vote on that alone.

Lily on April 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

affenhauer on April 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Hey, at those speeds on an Interstate, that stuff is basically dust in the wind…

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Did Obama ever pack up the family station wagon

Can he drive…???

Serious question.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Had a Ford Escape ( Hybrid ) as Senator.
Has a “Beast” as POTUS
Frb. 2013 – Don’t know

Jabberwock on April 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM

October Surprise: Romney used COLD water to wash the backside of Seamus! The horror!

Conservative4Ever on April 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM

True: dog-crap, bird-crap — when you get right down to it…

affenhauer on April 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM

that stuff is basically dust in the wind…

Huh. That give the whole Kansas classic a whole new look…

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Gee why can’t we talk about pussies? Kitty cats that is.

celtic warrior on April 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Some of them don’t travel well.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

When I was young we actually had a problem with our lab jumping into the back of the pickup when we tried to go somewhere. The damn thing wanted to go for a ride back there.

Sick masochistic beast!

Ampersand on April 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Dark Star on April 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM

do you put your children in a crate on top of cart with a “windshield” mmmmmm i thought not.

the libs have hit a big demographic. lotta dog lovers out there. ann romney keeps talking and talking. the media will soon have it so that ann romney is a woman who wouldn’t mind if an animal suffered, so long as her precious sons were happy.

obama setting the narrative. mitt following dumbly along. rinse, lather, repeat.

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Hummmm, I just had an epiphany. Angryed parents must have thought angryed so annoying they must have strapped him on top of the car during their family vacations!

PrettyD_Vicious on April 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Angrymoby(I mean Ed) finally get banned then?

Swerve22 on April 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Lily on April 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Was thinking about PRIOR to POTUS.
We know about Mitt’s vacations. What about Obama’s prior to election

Jabberwock on April 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Tabasco sauce. While they are fresh. A winner.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 3:25 PM

True: dog-crap, bird-crap — when you get right down to it…

affenhauer on April 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I see you’ve been reading this book…

Ampersand on April 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Angrymoby(I mean Ed) finally get banned then?

Swerve22 on April 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I doubt it. Probably just busy looking up more Gandhi quotes for the next thread about the dog crapping the the roof Romney’s car.

forest on April 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

DHChron on April 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Get off it. I’m so tired of elevating soldiers to sainthood. Fine he was in Iraq. Good for him. So what am I supposed to do, bow down in his presence because he went into the military? Big deal.

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Some of them don’t travel well.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Some people have spent hours in pursuit, only to have them escape at the last minute for unknown reasons.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

You misspelled your nic, ritalin.

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

do you take your children outside to crap? mmmmmm i thought not

Ampersand on April 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Ampersand on April 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Keep a copy in the 1st-floor bathroom, along with the Sunday WaPo… ;-)

affenhauer on April 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

You should leave now. Really.

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Mitt Romney/Michael Vick ’12!!!/

portlandon on April 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM

do you take your children outside to crap? mmmmmm i thought not
Ampersand on April 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM

how many dogs have you seen in your life that are in a windshield wiping crate strapped to the top of a car?
i have never seen that.

it may come as a surprise to you that a great many people see their pets as children. a vast majority would consider it inhumane. the poor dog had diarrhea. you think it just happened? no the dog whimpered and cried for who knows how long.

maybe if Seamus has ridden in the car along with his family, as the majority of Americans do, they would have pulled over to the side of the road upon hearing his discomfort.

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

First a soldier, now a stay at home parent.
Your worst nightmare.
You hate both.

Jabberwock on April 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM

You should leave now. Really.

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM

it amuses me how for a while he was able to get away with his ‘I’m a disgruntled tea partier’ meme, and hide behind the ABR crowd’s skirts, thinking he could fool one or two newbies…all it took was two polls that showed Romney in the lead for his cognitive dissonances to start surfacing and reveal him as the libtard troll that he is…

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Tabasco sauce. While they are fresh. A winner.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Actually my dog doesn’t eat his own poop. When he was a puppy he’d dig holes in the back yard…the answer, put his poop in the holes and cover them up with soil. When he’d dig them up again he’d get a load of poop. Cured him of digging holes in about a week!

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Getting on your knees would seem a natural position for ya…

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I hear a lot about how abrasive the pro-Romney folks have been. You must be the one destined to bring balance to the Force.

DrSteve on April 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Horrible quote fail. Once more, with feeling:

Tabasco sauce. While they are fresh. A winner.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

It’s amazing that you’re just now getting around to being for Obama.

It was always in you, now it’s coming out.

NoDonkey on April 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

And we call those people stupid. You can love your dogs but c’mon.

Ampersand on April 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

DHChron on April 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Forgot to mention, DHChron, when I was in the Army my husband was an admirable mofo of a “mom”. It seems only a few weeks ago when I thought that ‘angryed’ was a misnomer because he was generally a cheerful sort…Wow.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I think his last comment was over the top even for the worst lib-troll. Real d-bag this one is.

VegasRick on April 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Good grief. Well guess what? Barack Obama used to do “blow” whenever he could! Why hasn’t anyone found his drug dealer so we can find out just how much cocaine he snorted and when exactly he stopped, if ever?

Seems a bit more important, at least to me, than Seamus riding in a crate on the roof. Heck my brother’s dog used ride on top of the cab of the truck when we went out in the fields. If he hit the brakes too fast, Bear would bounce down onto the hood and right off the front of the car! I swear, she liked it.

JAM on April 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Back when I was growing up in rural North Carolina, most people kept their dogs in the backyard chained to their dog house. The family dog rarely if ever went inside the house.

Hell, I know people now who think it’s cruel to even kennel their dogs INSIDE THE HOUSE during housebreaking.

The Ugly American on April 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

It may come as a surprise to you, but those people need to get a life.

Dark Star on April 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

One of the MANY reasons Roald Amundsen got all his men to the South Pole AND back alive was that he kept in mind that dogs are dogs.

People are people.

The two are not the same.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Im not sure….sometimes I see him on other threads, fighting liberals (badly). I think he has wounded pride issues; we all have them but not like THAT!

thebrokenrattle on April 17, 2012 at 3:47 PM

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

And we call those people stupid. You can love your dogs but c’mon.

Ampersand on April 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Awww, but little Fido is sooo cute. He wuvs me so much. Look he’s giving me wittle kisses.

Actually no. Little Fido’s wolf DNA is kicking in. Mama wolf was the wolf pups source of food. When she’d return from hunting she’d quite often reguritate food into the pups mouths to feed them. You are little Fido’s source of food, and when he licks your face he’s actually hoping that you’ll throw up your stomach contents for him to eat.

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Then they move on to chewing or trying to escape. :)

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM

OK, the quotes buttons and the preview hate me! Sorry!

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

And we call those people stupid. You can love your dogs but c’mon.

Ampersand on April 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Trafalgar on April 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Mitt Romney/Michael Vick ’12!!!/

portlandon on April 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Mister Ed already used that one earlier in the thread.

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I don’t let my children ride in a crate with the luggage on planes either — but my dog has done that several times. And I don’t have them spayed and neutered, either. Just FYI since you seem to have a problem distinguishing between dogs & kids.

Dark Star on April 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Flyover country is a fascinating milieu. I wish I could live there as well. Civilized people are so boring.

angryed on April 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Yes, please do enjoy your “civilized” urban violent crime rates.

TallDave on April 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

jimver on April 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Well, he had me fooled…till today. Just thought he was a trifle eccentric. Kind of a reverse csdeven.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Those poor dogs. How sad that they can never be treated for the special creatures that they are and instead have to act as surrogate children for people who act as if there is something wrong with just being a dog.

Lily on April 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Dark Star on April 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

have you EVER in your life seen a dog in crate with a windshield wiper strapped to the roof of a car?

renalin on April 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM

People are people.

The two are not the same.

Ragspierre on April 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Amundsen killed two female sled dog puppies on the way down to Antarctica, simply because he did not need any more female breeders.

And on the expedition itself he and his fellow mushers actually slaughtered many more of them. Some for the crime of getting pregnant, others for being too old or too skinny.

angryed would not have liked him one bit.

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM