Rupert Murdoch: If you don’t like my newspapers, go read a “crappy blog” instead

posted at 1:56 pm on April 16, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Rupert Murdoch has been — and remains — a man to watch. No, he’s not a particularly savory character — he introduced those infamous Page 3 girls! — but he’s a consummate businessman who inherited a single newspaper and created an empire just by giving customers what they want.

Maybe he’s a little bitter that so many weblogs picked up on his consumer-driven model of journalism or maybe he at last has developed some standards of his own that don’t allow for the sacrifice of perfect accuracy for the sake of a very-nearly-realtime publication schedule. Whatever the reason, Rupert Murdoch is apparently not a fan of the blogosphere.

Twitchy.com flagged a recent tweet by the media mogul.

“Tweeters who don’t like particular newspapers don’t have to buy them,” Murdoch tweeted. “Thousands of crappy blogs available.”

Among the several responses he received to that tweet was at least one comment that pointed out the obvious: Blogs have, for better or worse, stolen plenty of business from newspapers, particularly from newspapers light on original reporting and heavy on wire copy and commentary.

A quick scan of Murdoch’s Twitter feed reveals another possible reason for his disgruntlement with forms of rapid-response communications: He’s not particularly effective himself at communicating in short bursts. It’s as though he fears he’s about to run out of characters at any moment and so prematurely shortens his thoughts. The tweet in which he indicts “crappy blogs” is one of his more coherent.

Yet, for all that I couldn’t help but take his tweet personally (HotAir.com is a blog, after all), I also couldn’t help but agree with him. No media consumer in this day and age has any legitimate reason to complain about a source of information. The potential sources are so vast and so numerous that complaints are just a waste of time. Better for the consumer to spend that energy finding a source he or she does like.

Update: This article originally mistakenly said Rupert Murdoch introduced racy photos to Page 2 (of The Sun), when, in fact, the photos run on Page 3.

Comments

he introduced those infamous Page 2 girls!

It’s Page 3. :)

DRayRaven on April 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Way ahead of you, Rupe. Go’s for your TV stations too.

james23 on April 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

No, he’s not a particularly savory character — he introduced those infamous Page 2 girls!

Man deserves a gold medal.

I don’t care from where. From somewhere. Make one specially for him if we must.

Red Cloud on April 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Really, does anyone actually go to foxnews.com? The only time I would go there is to pick up on some video. Now, I do read a lot of news on WSJ, and murdoch owns that.

rubberneck on April 16, 2012 at 2:02 PM

For the most part, I go to HotAir and Breitbart for my “news.”

I don’t care for Fox News, or for Limbaugh, or for The Oklahoman. I listen to a little of Ingraham.

That’s my story, and I’m stickin’ to it.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

If you don’t like my newspapers, go read a “crappy blog” instead

We know we know Rupert, that’s why O’ssain reads PuffyHo !!

burrata on April 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I would claim it: “Hot Air, endorsed by Rupert Murdoch”. Though I expect some bloggers already have some fun plans that way.
:D

whatcat on April 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Its Page 3, and it is a magnificent celebration of the female form, almost like attending an art class everyday.

About the crappy blogs……um….lets just say I’m don’t read your papers.

BobMbx on April 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Sounds like its time for Rupert’s nap.

Go RBNY on April 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

The last time I bought a newspaper was 6 months before Obama was elected, because I couldn’t stand the liberal bias. Mr. Murdoch, it’s probably been 15 years since I’ve seen a GOOD newspaper. Crappy blogs of the world, thank you for bringing actual news to me.

stinkybisquit on April 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Just another obvious data point to prove the evil intent of Murdoch. Any other media company owner would rightly call for restrictions on blogging instead and/or piss and moan day and night about how no one takes them seriously anymore (doesn’t read or watch anymore). Instead this vile creature invites people to exercise their right to choose their own news sources. When will we put an end to this awful man and his awful ideas?

NotCoach on April 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM

About the crappy blogs……um….lets just say I’m don’t read your papers.

BobMbx on April 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Hmmmm…howza bout HA Page 3 Girls? I mean, AP can’t depend on Sarah forever for mega-hits.

whatcat on April 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Twitchy.com flagged a recent tweet by the media mogul.

Nice product placement for the Boss Emeritus!

pedestrian on April 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Yup, The Girls of HotAir – calendar.

Ladies, pony up with some pics. We’ll take it from there.

:O)

OhEssYouCowboys on April 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I used to like him…but I think he keeps slowly moving left.

KOOLAID2 on April 16, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Is it bad that I have no idea what “page 3 girls” is…

Sachiko on April 16, 2012 at 2:12 PM

The problem is that blogs generally simply repeat the things that the other media outlets say. There are very few real original “reporters” on blogs.

Brietbart is a notable exception.

crosspatch on April 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

he introduced those infamous Page 2 girls!

Women. They don’t even know what page to turn to to look at hot chicks.

lorien1973 on April 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Murdoch’s always entertaining.

netster007x on April 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Translation: If you don’t like my crappy newspapers, get your crappy infotainment elsewhere!

Christien on April 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM

…created an empire just by giving customers what they want.

Pure evil.

forest on April 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Ole Rupert is full of hot air – and not the good kind.

VibrioCocci on April 16, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Maybe Hot Gas isn’t one of the crappy ones, gassy, but not crappy.

forest on April 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Ya know, Rupert? Already gave up the paper, a long time ago. It’s yesterday’s news, and one sided to boot. Why would I spend money on something I can get for free?

I don’t have either a puppy or a bird.

Bob's Kid on April 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Just don’t read HotGas, too many Wisconsitonian weirdos over there.

Bishop on April 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

whatcat on April 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM

With his crush on her? My gosh, he’ll keep a candle burning until the Milky Way collides with the Mutara Nebula.

BobMbx on April 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

And he stocked Fox News with page 3 girls too. Thank You Mr. M.

meci on April 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Brietbart is a notable exception.

crosspatch on April 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Blogs are more about analysis and opinion, so the comparison isn’t really fair. Although many blogs seem to get hard journalism right more often then the so called news sources. Conservative ones anyways. I find actual facts and deconstruction of media memes far more useful and informative then NBC editing tapes to make white Hispanics sound like KKK members. Pretty much why I don’t read newspapers or watch televised news anymore. Lies, half truths and sensationalism aren’t exactly my cup of tea.

NotCoach on April 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Women. They don’t even know what page to turn to to look at hot chicks.

lorien1973 on April 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Listen up!

That is why Lorien gets the big bucks.

BobMbx on April 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I like this crappy blog called Hot Gas.

vcferlita on April 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Not all blogs are alike. Some are great, like this one, and some are in fact crappy.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on April 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Rupert’s just cranky because his boy Santorum tanked.

JA on April 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM

lorien1973 on April 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Page 2 is where the articles appear, for those who keep abreast of

Christien on April 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Page 2 is where the articles appear, for those who keep abreast of

Christien on April 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Articles? Never heard of em.

lorien1973 on April 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM

If Rupert wants a blog, would he name it Hot Cr@p?

WhatNot on April 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM

BREAKING: GALLUP now daily tracking presidential race. Romney +2

That’s 3 strait polls: fox, rasmussen, gallup that has Romney ahead.

rubberneck on April 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on April 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Agree, radio and TV news are WAY too slow, don’t have time for either.

NoDonkey on April 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Is it bad that I have no idea what “page 3 girls” is…

Sachiko on April 16, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I’ve never even heard of the term, until today.

We’re in the same boat.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Is it bad that I have no idea what “page 3 girls” is…

Sachiko on April 16, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Not if you’re a communist.

lorien1973 on April 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Yup, The Girls of HotAir – calendar.

Ladies, pony up with some pics. We’ll take it from there.

:O)

OhEssYouCowboys on April 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Remember, you asked for it.

All shall look on me and despair!

Lily on April 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

he’s right though, there are thousands of crappy blogs out there on the intertubes.

maineconservative on April 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Yup, The Girls of HotAir – calendar.

Ladies, pony up with some pics. We’ll take it from there.

:O)

OhEssYouCowboys on April 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I’d like to be Mizzzz November …
now I just need to get a pony :O

burrata on April 16, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Lily on April 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Are you a poltergeist poster Ms. De Carlo?

NotCoach on April 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Re

member, you asked for it.

All shall look on me and despair!

Lily on April 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

LOL, Lily. That was cute. A pic of Rita Hayworth coulda worked, too.

:OP

OhEssYouCowboys on April 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Hilarious.

I, as well as many other WSJ longtime subscribers (from print to digital) have seen the drop in quality of the news pieces. And, the choices of news presented.

I had just mentioned this again, in today’s WSJ.

It’s like they do not care, even though they must see subscribers leaving in droves.

The headlines are skewed. The reporting is skewed. And the choice of stories are skewed from their original foundings.

I likened it to the recent article (at BigHollywood) on that tv show, 30 Rock, which evidently has very few viewers, yet stays on the air, because they believe it’s good, and they think it’s “right.” People really are just turning this crap off, now, and it’s a good thing. Democracy is still at work.

This mentality, like the music industry, the movie industry, and so many others that push against the grain of what people find acceptable and want will always result in utter failure.

I’m so close to cancelling my WSJ subscription after decades of loyalty. The only saving grace has been the Opinion page. I am sure that will be next on the chopping block to be tainted and cajoled into nothingness.

so-notbuyingit on April 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM

K, Lily and burrata are lined up. This might just work!

OhEssYouCowboys on April 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Page 3 is more likely an English based expression, refers to bare breasted women on Page Three.

EnglishRogue on April 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I would live to buy a decent paper and spread it out over coffee like back in the day. I’m stuck with a Hearst local rag here so no way I’m up for that. Online WSJ and blogs on my 48″ screen have to do for now.

Did you know Dunan Donuts makes great coffee available at the grocery store?

DanMan on April 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Women. They don’t even know what page to turn to to look at hot chicks.

lorien1973 on April 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

It’s called the Internet.

Go RBNY on April 16, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Remember, you asked for it.

All shall look on me and despair!

Lily on April 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Lily is one hot goth chick. What a trend she started.

PrettyD_Vicious on April 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I hope that Rupert’s quote is out of context.

There are some really bad blogs out there.

Like Huffpo and NBC, they don’t have a real reputation and never have to account for anything.

My recent favorite was a “Republican” suggesting that the present administration could not be held responsible for high gas prices. Yes. Indeed. Like President Bush and the “failed policies” of the last decades can’t still be blamed for our unemployment three years into this administration.

Google Mr. Eli Lehrer on Gas Prices.

IlikedAUH2O on April 16, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I don’t consider Hotair a blog. Ed and Allah started as bloggers on blogs, but HA is way past that today.

slickwillie2001 on April 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I don’t blame him. The left hates him. And he is right: If you don’t like the product he is selling, don’t buy it. Plus, he’s an old guy with a smart,rich, hot wife.

Blake on April 16, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I don’t really see the problem. There are a ton of crappy good ones. There are also a ton of good ones, though likely more bad.

Esthier on April 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Correct. Even HA relies heavily on NYT, WP, etc. for its content. There’s a lot more opining, but little (and, with the decline of regional newspapers, perhaps less) reporting. And with all sites looking to generate hits, there’s an overemphasis on headline candy like “Tebow” “Palin” etc. that are guaranteed to drive a certain amount of traffic and hence revenue.

bobs1196 on April 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Well, as far as ‘crappy journalism’ goes…

the National Enquirer is what brought to light John Edwards and his escapades.

Just sayin’..

bridgetown on April 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM

My question to Murdock: is it more likely or less likely that your criminal organization will tap my e-mail and phone if I read your over-priced papers or don’t read your over-priced papers?

TeaPartyNation on April 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Sometimes some blogs are crappy, and there are crappy blogs, and yet I can’t seem to stop reading them.

TigerPaw on April 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM

LOL, Lily. That was cute. A pic of Rita Hayworth coulda worked, too.

:OP
OhEssYouCowboys on April 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Maybe that young hussy does post here. She could be, oh I dunno Anninca or maybe crr6, I suppose.

Lily is one hot goth chick. What a trend she started.

PrettyD_Vicious on April 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Over the centuries I have discovered that the classic looks never go out of style.

Lily on April 16, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Eh. To say he’s not a “savory character” merely because the Sun features naked girls on page 3 is the sort of comment which may make him opine some blogs are “crappy”. This unsavory character was one of the big private donors whose donations helped build the Reagan Library.

The Wall Street Journal is the best paper in the country and blows the Grey Lady away in terms of circulation. I also love the NY Post and Fox News. That being said he should probably stay away from Twitter.

Buy Danish on April 16, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Once again Ms Korbe parrots the de rigueur groupthink and fails to examine the deeper issue. Murdoch’s endlessly villified while being endlessly successful. There’s all sorts of lessons there and they AREN’T related to feminist horsepucky or leftist / amti-capitalist / “Faux News!!1!” claptrap.

As Murdoch himself put it at that appearance in the den of Leftist iniquity that is Chapel Hill J-School, his organzation is the only large media operation NOT laying off people due to loss of business or ratings or economic constraints. They are thriving because their product is quite simply better and more appealing than the utter leftist garbage peddled by the likes of all the broadcast congloms and their feeble competition on cable.

So once again Korbe fails to inform, fails to instruct, and just cranks out another unthinking response predicated on the Left’s meta-narrative. And more importantly, fails to make any advance in conservative principles with her latest output. Bravo.

rayra on April 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I mean seriously, wtf are you people running Hot Air doing, other than muckraking? STAND for something. ADVOCATE and INFORM. All you’ve been doing is cast about for red meat and post ‘begs the question’ nonsense. Strive for something besides web hits.

rayra on April 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Case in point, the pathetically queer-coy juxtaposition of the two meaningless polls out today, posted by Allahpundit. Pure grist, zero content.

rayra on April 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I subscribe to the WSJ. Slowly moving leftward like Fox News and Hot Air. MSM is apparently something they all covet.

Goodale on April 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Well, yes, you can go read a blog like Hot Air, Oddly enough though, what you will find here is commentary on someone else’s journalism. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, just don’t expect see Ed in front of an empty basement room that was supposed to have contained Al Capone’s fortune or whatever.

Knott Buyinit on April 16, 2012 at 7:03 PM

If Fox News is any indication of how the rest of the Murdock media brands are vectored, then the blogs will be the ONLY place to read the news!

JeffVader on April 16, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Yup, The Girls of HotAir – calendar.
Ladies, pony up with some pics. We’ll take it from there.
:O)OhEssYouCowboys on April 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Aslong as it’s not “The hags of LGF” then I’m OK with it.

john1schn on April 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Like someone said above, blogs provide more ‘analysis’ and commentary than original news. (Of course, what passes for ‘analysis’ depends on your standards.) What’s really bad about the trend towards getting your news on-line is you are likelier to take your lead from whichever wing of the MSM you have already joined in this polarized environment, and find commentary and ‘analysis’ to suit your already formed opinions.

This is the result of dishonesty in our society. Oh, wait, I forgot. Those pesky social issues don’t matter. We should stick to the fiscal issues…

avgjo on April 16, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I’d say the Page 3 girls are the only truthful elements of any of those MSM papers that Murdoch owns.

AZfederalist on April 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM

That tweet is only incorrect in the opposite way most seem to be taking it. There are, literally, millions of crappy blogs out there.

Hotair.com is not one of them.

That is all.

kjl291 on April 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM

And get off my lawn, ya damn delinquents!!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 17, 2012 at 5:49 AM

What – you don’t want my awesome carriage – go ahead and buy one of those auto-mo-thingies then!

Free Indeed on April 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Christien on April 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Talk radio’s Dennis Miller said much the same thing Monday, to an angry caller: If you don’t like my show, why are you listening?

J Baustian on April 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM