Quotes of the day

posted at 10:34 pm on April 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Mitt Romney went well beyond his standard stump speech at a closed-door fundraiser on Sunday evening, and offered some of the most specific details to date about the policies he would pursue if elected…

“‘I’m going to take a lot of departments in Washington, and agencies, and combine them. Some eliminate, but I’m probably not going to lay out just exactly which ones are going to go,’ Romney said. ‘Things like Housing and Urban Development, which my dad was head of, that might not be around later. But I’m not going to actually go through these one by one. What I can tell you is, we’ve got far too many bureaucrats. I will send a lot of what happens in Washington back to the states.’…

“Romney said the GOP must offer its own policies to woo Hispanics, including a ‘Republican DREAM Act,’ referring to the legislative proposal favored by Democrats that would offer illegal immigrants a limited path to citizenship, to give Hispanic voters a real choice between parties…

“He said his campaign had been well-covered by Fox News, but that Fox was watched by ‘the true believers,’ and that he knew he would have to reach out to a broader audience in order to win over independents and women voters that will decide the election in November. He painted a picture of a media landscape in which liberal voices won out on television, but conservatives were strongest online.”

***

“[N]ow that the former Massachusetts governor is the likely GOP nominee, many Republicans think that the standoffish candidate actually needs to embrace his Mormonism publicly to open a window into his life…

“Nance maintains that if voters could see Romney worshiping, and observe him as a leader of his church, it could go a long way in helping people connect with him. ‘His religion isn’t the issue- he’s the issue,’ says Nance. ‘At some point you need to be honest about who you are. He has an authenticity problem. People don’t get him. They don’t feel that they know the guy.’…

“Bruce Merrill, a senior research fellow at the Morrison Institute at Arizona State University who was raised a Mormon, believes that the key to Romney’s success in the general election may lie in his being as specific and as open as possible about his faith. ‘It’s who Romney is and he can’t really be himself without showing who he is,’ says Merrill. ‘It’s more than a religion- it’s a subculture, a way of life. Mormons socialize together, they do business together, and they raise families together. [Avoiding it publicly] just perpetuates the view that he’s distant.’”

***

“As Congress was set to reconvene on Monday, House Republicans said Mr. Romney could go his own way on smaller issues that may help define him as separate from his Congressional Republican counterparts. But, they said, he must understand that they are driving the policy agenda for the party now.

“‘We’re not a cheerleading squad,’ said Representative Jeff Landry, an outspoken freshman from Louisiana. ‘We’re the conductor. We’re supposed to drive the train.’

“Still, party leaders insist that House Republicans and Mr. Romney are united on issues that matter most. ‘On the big issues — spending, taxes, what we do with the deficit — I just don’t see much difference,’ said Representative Tom Cole of Oklahoma, a member of the Republican leadership, ‘and more importantly, I don’t see an escape.’”

***

“But where Romney is different is that he is not honest about himself. He could, as he did just recently, stand before the National Rifle Association as if he were, in spirit as well as membership, one of them. In body language, in the blinking of the eyes, in the nonexistent pounding pulse, there was not the tiniest suggestion that here was a man who just as confidently once embodied the anti-gun ethic of Massachusetts, the distant land he once governed. Instead, he tore into Obama for the (nonexistent) threat the president posed to Second Amendment rights — a false accusation from a false champion.

“A marathon of debates and an eon of campaigning have toughened and honed Romney. He commands the heights of great assurance, and he knows, as some of us learn too late in life, that the truth is not always a moral obligation but sometimes merely what works. He often cites his business background as commending him for the presidency. That’s his forgivable absurdity. Instead, what his career has given him is the businessman’s concept of self — that what he does is not who he is. This is what enables the slumlord to be a charitable man. This is what enables the corporate raider to endow his university. Business is business. It’s what you do. It is not who you are. Lying isn’t a sin. It’s a business plan.”

***

“Seamus, Mitt Romney’s Irish setter who traveled with his young family strapped to the roof of their station wagon, ‘loved’ those trips, despite once getting ill, Ann Romney told ABC’s Diane Sawyer in an exclusive interview…

“‘The dog loved it,’ Ann Romney said. ‘He would see that crate and, you know, he would, like, go crazy because he was going with us on vacation. It was to me a kinder thing to bring him along than to leave him in the kennel for two weeks.’

“Adding to the left’s narrative that Romney had little compassion for the animal is a detail from the 1983 trip that Ann Romney confirmed to Sawyer. The dog became sick, defecating all over itself and the windshield of the car, leading Romney to hose them both off before they continued on the drive to Canada.”

***

***

Click the image to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I’ve supported, Palin, Perry, Cain, Bachmann, Santorum, Gingrich & now Mrs. Romney.

It’s been a long road getting to this point.

I don’t want to hear any more about Mitt’s liberalism.
I’m sick of hearing about it.
It’s why he’s last on my list, for Christ sakes.

I will be thrilled when he and his wife wins and becomes POTUS.
I’ll be able to sleep better at night and not be so fretful.

I don’t care about immigration as an issue any more.
I used to care about it.
It just seems so farther down the list now, that I can’t get fired up about it, to stay angry at Mitt to bang that drum.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I’m going with this one. It covers them all, left and right.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Makes me also think of this one

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Night Bmore, have a good one.

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Bmore on April 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Stimulus response behavior, undoubtedly. But triggered by a big dog’s face?! LOL.
Sleep well. The sawing and campaigning continue…

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Holy crap, I need a new monitor… now that is funny! Maybe you could damian some pointers on humor :)
uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Here is my card:

Have Snark, Will Travel

Wire Paladin San Fransisco

(I don’t know if many around here are old enough to know to what I refer)

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Cool..Very cool..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I’m going with this one. It covers them all, left and right.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Little?…

Gohawgs on April 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Dire Straits on April 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Dire, it’s 80′s night here at HA, and this also works so well for the day, and progs in general. Besides Terry Nunn is just plain hot!

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

(I don’t know if many around here are old enough to know to what I refer)

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Wagon Train, Gunsmoke, baby. Granma and Grandpa 1959.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I have to admit I do. When I was a kid for some reason I thought they were saying Half Gun, Will Travel. Do not ask me why.

INC on April 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

(I don’t know if many around here are old enough to know to what I refer)

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Sure we know. Just old enough to remember the music.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Here is my card:

Have Snark, Will Travel

Wire Paladin San Fransisco
(I don’t know if many around here are old enough to know to what I refer)

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I’m old enough to know about Have Gun, Will Travel, dammit to hell!
I remember it well.
Even as a kid, I loved the all black outfit.
I always wanted a “calling” card like his.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

My grandparents watched Bonanza every Sunday evening.

INC on April 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM
INC on April 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Man, you guys are quick on the draw.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I don’t care about immigration as an issue any more.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I get where you are coming from Ma’am

I don’t care about fraud anymore.
Gangbangers roam the neighborhood, robbing and raping at will.
Who cares about non-violent crime.
Lets just legalize it or ignore it.

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Dude’s name was Palladin, wasn’t it?

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

(I don’t know if many around here are old enough to know to what I refer)

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Palladin…

Gohawgs on April 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Well, you took the time to look up the music.

Paladin was unforgettable. As Typicalwhitewoman said, the card with the knight, the all black.

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Ooops. Should have clicked on the link first.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I have never heard that one or of the artists before.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Okay, my two favorites from that era:

Cheyenne and

The Rifleman.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only old codger around here. I thought this place was mostly 20 something or thirty something hipsters anymore.
Paladin, where do you roam?

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Now that I have heard before!!

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

(I don’t know if many around here are old enough to know to what I refer)

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Have Teleprompter Will Travel reads the card of the man.
A cipher without a thought of his own in what he’s turning into a bankrupt land.
His ah, oh, umm, loose mouth heeds the calling of a Soros wind.
A man without a clue of his own is the cipher called Obamadin.
Obamadin, Obamadin, Where do you roam?
Obamadin, Obamadin, Just be sure to never leave your teleprompter at home.

He travels on to campaign whenever he feels he must
His yearning for power is his guiding lust
These are legends that themselves do spin
Of the Ventriloquist’s dummy
Of the cipher called Obamadin
Obamadin, Obamadin, Where do you roam?
Obamadin, Obamadin, Just be sure to never leave your teleprompter at home.

Cheshire Cat on April 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

OK, so who remembers that John Dehner played Paladin on the radio?
(Richard Boone was a better fit, IMHO)

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I remember all to well. Loved the Maverick brothers.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

How did you have “sure we do” as a url link instead of the actual youtube numbers/letters link?

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Wow, Wiki says Gene Roddenberry wrote some of the episodes. From the Western Frontier to the Final Frontier.

OK, so who remembers that John Dehner played Paladin on the radio?
(Richard Boone was a better fit, IMHO)

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM

That I don’t remember.

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Thumbs up..Terry Nunn was hot!!..:)
PS..Try this verson of masquerade..I think you will like it..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I have never heard that one or of the artists before.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

From the mid 80′s, actually opened for the Police and Berlin at Hollywood park.

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM

My grandparents watched Bonanza every Sunday evening.

INC on April 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

GRANDPARENTS??? I remember when Pernell Roberts was on the show…

Shuffles off to get a glass for my teeth

Gohawgs on April 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I had every Chet Atkins album in the ’60s. College days. The Brothers Four, Beach Boys, the Carpenters. Watched the Smothers Brothers in their TV show. JFK was killed the day I went to get my grades from the organic chemistry lecture final. Heard it on the car radio.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Paladin.

He was the coolest and I was never into Westerns.

I loved 77 Sunset Strip where I fell in love with big ass American convertibles!

Love those Impalas, DeSotos, Eldorados.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Cheshire Cat on April 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

How dare you profane that holy ballad with such vile words?!?!?!

(But other than that… Good work! :)

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Gohawgs on April 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM

:) Well, I remember Pernell Roberts. (Bonanza was on long enough for several generations to come and go!) It was a big deal to stay with them and watch it. They had a color TV long before we ever did.

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

You do realize, I hope, that a Romney win is merely a temporary reprieve, right?

Nothing substantial is gonna change. We’re still a long way from even slowing down the Progressive juggernaut strangling the country. Don’t mean to be a wet blanket but let’s keep it in focus. The mere fact that someone like Palin has been effectively neutralized should send shivers down the spines of those hoping to reverse the situation.

Cleombrotus on April 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Thanks for your concern Cleo. I realize many things. I hope this eases your mind.

Apparently, you haven’t read my posts over time. I am focused. Most voters aren’t.

My crystal ball is in the shop. We will see what the future brings.
The progressive juggernaut..I agree. Although, everyone wants a piece of their pie. As the WW2 gen dies off and the baby boomer’s multiply in retirement..R or D, they want their piece. The youth want their piece. Progressives on both sides. The GOP is limp.

bazil9 on April 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Levin’s attacks on Romney are not constructive, only red faced hysterical. He lacks discipline and focus. Fortunately few will follow his shrill voice into the abyss.

VorDaj on April 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Levin attacks Romney for being on the wrong side of core conservative issues like Romneycare and having Eric Holder as an advisor to implement carbon caps in MA.

Levin is right in that we need a strong advocate for conservatism and capitalism. Not some wimp who’s going to apologize for his wealth and play class warfare games.

If Mittens keeps this garbage up it’ll be McCain 2008 all over again.

I bet you think that was all the radical wacko Palin’s fault though right??

LevinFan on April 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Thumbs up..Terry Nunn was hot!!..:)
PS..Try this verson of masquerade..I think you will like it..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Very cool. Bringing up more hot blondes, I think this is the SEIU theme song for this years Dem convention lol! and 80′s night continues :)

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Route 66. Two footloose studs with a Corvette. Why them and not me, oh Lord?

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

My crystal ball is in the shop. We will see what the future brings.

bazil9 on April 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Well said. All I know is if Baracka gets reelected we are all effed—-and not in a good way.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Seeing Gohawgs reminded me because I saw his comments at Kingjester’s. I’ve been meaning to post this from Kingjester’s blog. He put this up Friday morning.

Dear Friends and “Family”:

I will be off the grid for about a week or so. Wednesday night, the Generation XY kids above our apartment decided to cook fried chicken and neglected to watch it cook, resulting in a grease fire. Our ground-floor apartment was flooded by their sprinkler system, resulting in us being relocated (by the grace of God) to live for a while in a Corporate Unit at another apartment complex, owned by the corporation who owns ours.

Your prayers are welcome and appreciated. It could have been a lot worse. Until I return, here is a recent post, to remind you of what I’m about.

God is Good. All the time.

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

a capella

It’s so sad about Glen Cambell having Alzheimers.
I loved his show along with The Smothers Brothers.

I admit I loved The Sonny and Cher Show and ironed my hair.

I loved Motown and saw all the greats.
I miss being young.
I miss the America we grew up in.
I hope it’s not too late to save Her!

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Cheshire Cat on April 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Yes, consider what LegendHasIt said and take songs we don’t like that are without good memories and rewrite those!

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I don’t care about immigration as an issue any more.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Because immigration doesn’t impact our justice system, educational system, healthcare costs, security and on and on. Eventually, it impacts everything including our economic conditions. The tenticles are far reaching. Oh yeah..and screw the law. What laws? Everything is a joke anymore.

Bazil bangs the snare.*

bazil9 on April 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Amen!
I do miss the Rowan and Martin Laugh-in show

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Thanks for giving us a heads up. It’s too bad but he’s right, it could have been worse.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Love those Impalas, DeSotos, Eldorados.
Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Kookie, Lend me your comb!

I’ll see you that, and raise you a Route 66 and a 63 Corvette Stingray.

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Me hate SEIU, loves some Blondie

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Ahh but, Pernell (64) quit and was eventually replaced by a character named Candy — what a name for a cowboy…

Gohawgs on April 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Well that Zah Zah, I don’t need my crystal ball for. Effed up the wazoo.

bazil9 on April 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

My father loved that show..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I just took the puppies out and while they may be thinking the same thing about me…..ducks have odd hours. They sure are noisy.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:19 AM

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Oh yeah, what young, hell what sane red blooded American man didn’t have a thing for Debra Harry. Though the years haven’t been kind to her.

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Heh, you beat me to it.

OK, who remembers Saturday morning cartoons.
Ruff and Reddy, Felix the Cat, Howdy Doody?

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM

a capella

I have to admit, I slept with a LOT of men, just because they had a Corvette!

It was the late ’60′s and ’70′s and I’ll stop it that decade for decorum and civility’s sake…I was young and beautiful and had a weakness for great American cars and I guess, that’s why men buy great cars.

It works. It really does!

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

I knew why I’d married my husband when I found he owned The Supremes double album of greatest hits.

Rowan and Martin Laugh-in show

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Which we would relive and retell jokes from the next day at school.

Gohawgs on April 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Every once in a while I catch a Bonanza rerun. I saw Candy the other day. He was no substitute for Adam.

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Gohawgs on April 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

lolz….I think this is an excellent name for cowboy..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

1) In the comments window, when you are ready to include a “link” phrase in your copy, hit the blue “link” tab just above the window.

2) A URL entry window will appear. Paste the link which you’ve copied from your source in the link window. Click “OK” to close the window.

3) Your link is now in the comments window. Immediately start typing whatever copy you want to serve as the “link phrase” in your post.

4) Then hit the “link” button again to close off the phrase. It will appear as blue (or purple) text in your posted comment. And when someone clicks on the text, it will link to your original URL source.

Hope that makes even halfway sense and helps.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:24 AM

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Yup, this was our comment to most everything, and it applies to the 0 admin as well

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Did you ever listen to the remarks that the characters of Popeye cartoons mumbled? Very funny and geared to adults.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Bazil bangs the snare.*

bazil9 on April

bazil9, you’re absolutely right!
I was just feeling tired at this moment and remembering fondly the days I was a slut…and didn’t worry about all this political crapola! heh

I’ll put immigration higher on the roster.

I just start getting depressed thinking about all that stuff to get handled.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Wire Paladin San Fransisco

(I don’t know if many around here are old enough to know to what I refer)

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Dang

lovingmyUSA on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Though the years haven’t been kind to her.

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM

I just watched that Maria clip. That woman exuded hotness. I saw her in a recent interview and she looked rough. I don’t know if it was the drug use or what. She is older than I thought 65 or 66. That is not old though. Funny how your perspective changes. I used to think 40 was old. Now I’d like to be forty again.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:28 AM

OK, who remembers Saturday morning cartoons.
Ruff and Reddy, Felix the Cat, Howdy Doody?

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Clutch Cargo. Those Syncro Vox lips used to creep me out.

Johnny Quest, on the other hand, was totally cool.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Johnny Weissmuller as Tarzan! Cheetah just recently died!

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:30 AM

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:28 AM

And who could forget the Thunderbirds. I had to buy the DVD sets, just to show my kids what TV was in our day lol!

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Rocky and Bullwinkle were masters at that “hidden adult humor.” My first inkling that grown-ups might be putting something over on us.

Beany and Cecil had its moments, too. I vaguely recall picking up on the salacious undertones of their sailing destination: the No Bikini Atoll. Boy, did I feel worldly at 6 or 7.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Jack Parr and Johnny Carson. Johnny was a giant among the modern day pigmies.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Dude, I get depressed too. I won’t lay down and die though.

I miss my “ignorance is bliss” days too.

Carry on with your fond memories. :)

bazil9 on April 17, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Shoot, that’ll teach me to read down the thread, didnt see the song had been posted…

SOO, here’s one for the runner’s in the Boston Marathon…

lovingmyUSA on April 17, 2012 at 2:33 AM

You are a child and Levin is a wimp who hollers a lot. Tell him I said so.

I bet you think that was all the radical wacko Palin’s fault though right??

LevinFan on April 17, 2012 at 2:11 AMLevinFan on April 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I’ll let you know if and when you get anything right.

VorDaj on April 17, 2012 at 2:33 AM

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Thunderbirds!!!!

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM

They’ve written up and published Fractured Fairy Tales (which I loved). I found the book at the library within the last year

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:35 AM

I remember all to well. Loved the Maverick brothers.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I had the biggest crush on James Gardner…still do…

lovingmyUSA on April 17, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Care to elaborate? :) Our kids think they invented messing up. “You wouldn’t understand Dad”. Au contraire, little one, Dad was not always “Dad”.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:35 AM

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Hey, without Thunderbirds and Fireball XL5 we’d never have had Team America!

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM

The Supremes double album….holy cow.
They were awesome.
I think that’s so romantic that you “knew” he’d be your husband with that wonderful record.

I lived in Staten Island for awhile in between, being ex-patriots from various countries.

I saw Aretha Franklin and Otis Redding in Harlem in ’67.
Saw the Supremes in NYC in ’70 and everyone else.

People would ask if I was a Beatles or Rolling Stones fan…
I always said Motown and Phil Specter’s wall of sound.

I’ve always ballroom danced so I was always surrounded with music.
I did have fun during the disco years.

Ft. Worth, TX

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM

lolz….I think this is an excellent name for cowboy..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Dire, I don’t want hell to come for breakfast. What’s wrong with just a ham omelet?

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:38 AM

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Loved Fractured Fairytales (and anything else narrated by Edward Everett Horton). Also Peabody, Sherman, and the Wayback Machine. Comedy is subversive.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

And Betty Boop; She sure was no kiddie cartoon either…
Of course she (and Popeye)predates Saturday morning cartoons.

Clutch Cargo. Those Syncro Vox lips used to creep me out
de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Thank god, I missed that. You are right, creepout.

………………….
Sky King!

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:40 AM

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I guess they all did it, you just had to grow up to notice. Now we have cartoons to teach our kids to smart mouths.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:40 AM

SparkPlug on April 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

What about canopfor??..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I hope he stops by and brings his linky machine. (:

SparkPlug on April 17, 2012 at 2:41 AM

lovingmyUSA on April 17, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Believe I originated from your neck of the woods. A farm a few miles from a little village called Dillon. Dillon is about ten miles southeast of Marshalltown. Population about fifty or so.

a capella on April 17, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Hope that makes even halfway sense and helps.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:24 AM

It does thanks.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:41 AM

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I hear you!!..:)

PS..Josey Wales is a classic..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM

No, I found the album after I married him! That surprised me, too, because he was into acid rock far more than I ever was.

I envy you seeing the Motown greats. You must have grown up in The City.

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM

SparkPlug on April 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Dave’s not here?

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Nope. At least that’s what Dave said. He wouldn’t open the door.

SparkPlug on April 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I remember Sky King. How about Circus Boy with a very young Mickey Dolenz.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM

arnold ziffel

No details, you dirty boy, arnold.

Did you have a Corvette?
Or anything other expensive babemobile?
If so, I would have shown you a great time.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Okay, I’m going to hit the hay. Good night and sweet dreams everyone.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Jack Parr and Johnny Carson. Johnny was a giant among the modern day pigmies.
a capella on April 17, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I remember back to Steve Allen, although it was rare when I got to stay up that late.

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Comedy is subversive.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Heh. That it is. IMO England gave us that legacy of the use of humor.

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Heh, here’s another – don’t look for the any key on your board.

Schadenfreude on April 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

I was so mad I couldn’t find it I became a curser.

SparkPlug on April 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM

LegendHasIt on April 17, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I remember Sky King. How about Circus Boy with a very young Mickey Dolenz.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM

My very first crush may have been on Penny in Sky King. And I wanted to be Circus Boy. Toby Tyler, too.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Talking about old shows from the sixties, I had a problem with Lost In Space. On virtually every episode Dr. Smith would endanger the family and no one ever thought to eliminate him. Aliens and assorted mayhem wasn’t enough of a plot? I was only twelve but thought he needed to die.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:47 AM

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Sock it to me time.

SparkPlug on April 17, 2012 at 2:47 AM

All right, with all of this talk of years gone by, my last two pulls for the night, as the morning comes too early.

Everyone, thanks for the trip down memory lane, and I hope you enjoy these.

Good night

uncommon sense on April 17, 2012 at 2:47 AM

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I wanted to be Major Healey with Jeannnie and the GTO.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Yup, I hit Wall Street in NYC at 17 in ’67.
I was working for the Jon Corzine’s of the world.
I was a phenom with Gregg shorthand and taking Board of Director minutes.

All these guys had money and it was like Mad Men to some extent.
hubba hubba.

Went to the Cocacabana and saw Tony Bennett for my high school prom!

Look at the time.
I’ve gotta get to bed.
Night all to everyone.
Fun remembering all the fun I had.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Did you have a Corvette?
Or anything other expensive babemobile?
If so, I would have shown you a great time.

Typicalwhitewoman on April 17, 2012 at 2:43 AM

62 Nova and then a 1968 Camaro RS 327. Nice car.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Comedy is subversive.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Heh. That it is. IMO England gave us that legacy of the use of humor.

INC on April 17, 2012 at 2:44 AM

We’re their direct beneficiaries, to be sure. But I think it’s very ancient. I imagine Greek kids were meant to laugh at the animal antics in Aesop’s Fables, the lessons followed.

de rigueur on April 17, 2012 at 2:52 AM