Obama in Colombia this weekend: I’m scouting out a potential vacation spot for Michelle

posted at 3:06 pm on April 16, 2012 by Tina Korbe

As of Feb. 21, members of the Obama family had already taken 16 extended leisure trips, 10 of which were as a family — but Barack Obama is already scouting out the family’s next potential vacation destination.

At the Summit of the Americas in Cartagena, Colombia, this weekend, the president told a panel that included Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos and Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff that a part of his job at the Summit was to survey the vacation landscape in the South American country. CNSNews.com’s Terence Jeffrey reports the relevant quote:

“I want to thank President Santos and the people of Colombia for the extraordinary hospitality in the beautiful city of Cartagena,” said Obama. “We’re having a wonderful time. And usually when I take these summit trips, part of my job is to scout out where I may want to bring Michelle back later for vacation.  So we’ll make sure to come back sometime in the near future.”

Presumably, the president intended the quote to be a laugh line — but, as Jeffrey points out, it came on the heels of an interview in which Obama scoffed at the idea that anyone might find him out-of-touch because of his lavish leisure habits. In that interview, news anchor Larry Conners of KMOV in St. Louis asked the president how he responds to concerns that he vacations too much. In his reply, the president pretended to be offended at the suggestion that he’s somehow lazy (even though he’s admitted he thinks he has a kind of laziness deep down), saying, “I’m raising a family here. When we travel, we’ve got to travel through Secret Service and Air Force One. That’s not my choice. I think most folks understand how hard I work and how hard this administration is working on behalf of the American people.”

The juxtaposition of an offended dismissal of the American people’s legitimate concerns about his jet-setting behaviors with a cutesy comment that he’s scouting a new relaxation spot for Michelle just further illuminates that Barack Obama is out of touch. Many people I know haven’t taken a full-fledged family vacation in years, but the president thinks he’s justified in taking more than three a year.

It grows tiresome to criticize the president for something petty like his vacation habits. Everybody needs to rest and recharge at some point — perhaps especially the president. It’d just be nice if the president expressed a little humility and gratitude for the amazing team and understanding American people that enable him to take his vacations in the first place.

Click the image to watch video of the president’s comments in Colombia.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Yeah, Millions of ‘conservatives’ really think it is wonderful when a guy already despised for spending millions of taxpayer dollars on vacations for himself and his family in just three and a half years sneers at us by telling the media that he is scouting for vacation spots for his wife.

Just us idiotic right wingnuts that can’t see the grace beauty and diplomacy in his remarks.

And if you will re-read my post, you will notice that I didn’t imply that you were Colombian. I implied something else.

LegendHasIt on April 16, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Obama Sr. was legless. Obama Jr. is clueless.

BHO Jonestown on April 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM

He was talking to the president of Colombia. Millions of normal conservatives, who don’t believe that Obama is the spawn of Lucifer, find no fault in President Failure occasionally showing some grace when abroad. Colombians are anxious to welcome American tourists. The president of the US saying that he’d like to vacation with his wife in Colombia is a huge compliment to the people here. End of story. Geez.

LegendHasIt on April 16, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Yeah, you implied I was a Colombian hooker. Stay classy!

BocaJuniors on April 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

If he had put it the way you did:

Instead of smirking:

Part of My Job Is to Scout Out Where I May Want to Bring Michelle Back Later for Vacation’

after already being put on the spot for exorbitant vacationing just a few days ago…

I’d never have complained, nor would have most of the others in this thread. Nor would I have snarked at you for telling us so many times that he was just being gracious to his hosts. It is the “In your face” attitude that he has to USA Taxpayers that we despise, and your vigorous defense of him, despite the way he said it.

LegendHasIt on April 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Instead of joking about looking for his and Michelle’s next vacation spot he might be better served by looking for a retirement home next door in Venezuela. Can’t help but think he’d be more welcome there than he will be here.

LCT688 on April 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM

This baffoon thinks he’s going to court the hispanic vote and he doesn’t know the difference between the Malvinas and the Maldives. Is he trying to out Biden, Biden?

LCT688 on April 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM

He scouted out the Maldives, but they only speak Argentinian there, so no dice.

Christien on April 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Yeah, not like when he discovered that Germans spoke Austrian.

Happy Nomad on April 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Is he trying to out Biden, Biden?

LCT688 on April 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Oh! I hope so! It hasn’t been since Dan Quayle that we’ve had such fun during a campaign. I sincerely hope that Obama makes inappropriate slurs against Indian-Americans at debate or tells a speech to disabled veterans to “stand up” for the honoree.

Happy Nomad on April 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

…all the stereotypical right-wing idiots think I’m Colombian…

BocaJuniors on April 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Your use of the above terminalogy makes me doubt that you’re a conservative.

zoyclem on April 17, 2012 at 7:22 AM

He can do it on his dime next year, as we have had enough of him and his failed policies. One term.

Amazingoly on April 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM

How about this Mr. President sir…..

OPT out of the vacation…. as most of Americans are struggling to put a roof over their heads and food on their tables and cannot possibly even remotely consider taking a vacation even outside of their city let alone state, you and your family are living extreme extravagance on the taxpayers dime with complete and utter disdain.

If you were clueless that would be one thing… You sir are not, you just plain don’t give a rats rear. Worst economy since the great depression…. and what exactly sir have you and your extended family given up as a show of solidarity with the millions of unemployed?

Tomorrow, take a look out your window of the house we the people have granted you the use of and thank God for every single moment you are there… because there is a great many of us that are going to work as hard so we can to return you to the very life you have created for the rest of us to struggle in… come on in Sir, the waters just fine!

ActinUpinTexas on April 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM

…all the stereotypical right-wing idiots think I’m Colombian…

BocaJuniors on April 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Your use of the above terminalogy makes me doubt that you’re a conservative.

zoyclem on April 17, 2012 at 7:22 AM

You do understand the word, “stereotypical”, right?

BocaJuniors on April 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM

What Obama meant when he said he is scouting out vacation spots is “I am scouting out retirement places.” There will be too many suits for malfeasance for him to retire in the US. Down there he only has to take his chances with Interpol.

KenInIL on April 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM