First Gallup 2012 tracking poll: Romney 47, Obama 45

posted at 4:16 pm on April 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

Worth blogging or no? On the one hand, it’s registered voters, not likelies, and we’ve got, oh, another 200 or so of these to go before election day. On the other hand, go look at BuzzFeed’s historical comparison. Incumbents always start out ahead — until now. For some reason they omit 1984, but Conn Carroll has that number: Reagan led Mondale by fully 13 points in April that year. Not since Gerald Ford has a sitting president actually trailed his presumptive opponent six-plus months before the election.

The race breaks down into the expected patterns by party, with 90% of Democrats supporting Obama, and 90% of Republicans supporting Romney. The Republican results show that despite the rancor and divisiveness of the Republican campaign, the vast majority of Republicans are backing Romney in the head-to-head battle with Obama, as they have in ballot tests earlier this year.

The crucial voting bloc of independents breaks toward Romney by 45% to 39%, giving the GOP challenger his slight overall edge…

At this point, there is no statistically significant advantage for either candidate [in terms of enthusiasm], as 80% of Romney voters and 76% of Obama voters say they will definitely vote next November.

Three weeks ago, Obama led Romney 49/45 so Mitt might be benefiting here from the positive buzz of having become the de facto nominee in the interim. Or maybe not; when the numbers are this close, movements of a few points are probably just noise. How about this, though?

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 46% of Likely U.S. Voters would vote for the Republican in their district’s congressional race if the election were held today, while 36% would choose the Democrat instead. This is the largest gap between the two parties since the beginning of 2011. It also doubles the gap found a week ago when the Republican led by five points, 45% to 40%.

Follow the link and note the trend in the numbers. The GOP hasn’t led on the generic ballot by more than six points since November and has occasionally slipped to within a point or two of Democrats since then. (They actually trailed the Dems briefly in January.) Why the sudden surge this week? More noise, or is it a byproduct of conservative enthusiasm ticking upward as the right turns from the primary to the general election? Either way, if it’s true that Paul Ryan’s budget is destined to become a liability for the party, it’s also true that it hasn’t become one yet.

Incidentally, get in the habit of viewing Romney’s numbers vis-a-vis the congressional generic ballot, as the House GOP’s numbers will help dictate how closely Mitt sticks to their basic agenda on the trail. At least one Republican rep is already warning him, “We’re not a cheerleading squad. We’re the conductor. We’re supposed to drive the train.” Here he is in cheery tough-guy mode, advising Obama to “start packing.”

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

..who apparently take great joy in listening to you spit out your hateful, racist opinions.

The War Planner on April 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM

my close white friends do, yes, because I like to surround myself with warm, caring people. my white Facebook friends from high school think Obama is the anti-christ. then again they were racist towards blacks in high school hmmm

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Cool story, bro.

HumpBot Salvation on April 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

You telling your niece and nephew all Republicans are selfish and racist is absolutely no different. You’re prejudging strangers based on their membership of a group you personally hate. You’re just as guilty of ignorance.

Chuck Schick on April 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Hilary Rosen? a CNN talking head?

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM

A “CNN Talking Head” who visited the White House 35 times?

You were obviously Out to Lunch yesterday when we talked about how this “CNN Talking Head” in fact had backdoor lobbying privileges at that same White House; after all the PR firm she is with is headed by one Anita Dunn.

And this backdoor lobbying privilege Rosen had was not reported by Faux News, it was reported by the Far Right publication called “The Nation”.

F-

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

The War Planner on April 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I am not racist. I am prejudiced against conservatives of all colors

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I am not racist. I am prejudiced against conservatives of all colors

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

So you just hate people you don’t who have different opinions than yours.

Much better.

Chuck Schick on April 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM

people who actually care about all americans not just the half of america that agrees with you

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I am hispanic and I can tell you most hispanics I know rightly think the GOP is a racist party and wouldn’t vote for them even if you put a gun to their head

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM

You are so awesome.

rogerb on April 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I am not racist. I am prejudiced against conservatives of all colors

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

..then you must really, really have a problem.

Seriously, the last few posts by you on this thread have been more than expository. I mean this in the nicest possible way: you truly are a hater and somewhat irrational. A lot of us who are conservative are pretty nice people and have very good friends who are liberal. while we joke about it, we also recognize that people are entitled to their opinions and beliefs.

I am truly sorry you don’t want to even try to reach out and make friends with the folks on the other side.

Pathetic.

The War Planner on April 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Chuck Schick on April 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I have found conservatives i converse with in real life and online in places like here to be bad people. Very religious yet so selfish and mean-spirited. they all romanticize wars and guns, I find that to be highly disturbing. not long until this country has a Brevik-style massacre of progressives of it’s own I fear…

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM

..I have an old Alfred E. Neuman mask. Will that do?

The War Planner on April 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

You are so awesome.

rogerb on April 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM

the policies I support will help ALL Americans thrive

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:08 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I teach my niece and nephew every chance i get that the republican party is full of selfish racist people.

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Shouldn’t their parents be the ones Indoctrinating them?

Just curious-what credible “facts” do you use to “teach” your niece and nephew that Republicans are “racists”. Do you give them actual documented examples, or just make things up?

G-

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Obama leads Romney something like 56 points among Latinos.

ddrintn on April 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM

You are aware, of course,that his Hispanic support is slipping though?

The Hispanic vote helped Obama over the edge in the 2008 election, but since then Hispanics have lost confidence. According to impreMedia Decisions polls, 49% of Hispanics are certain to vote for Obama in 2012, which is an 11% drop in comparison to the 60% who planned to vote for him in the 2008 election.

..this is a drive-by link and four months ago, but these stories come up all the time. It does not figure to get much better if this Asss Hat can’t put the economy right.

The War Planner on April 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012

What you are is a walking caricature of the average dumb loser leeching democrat. There is no way you “earned” anything more than you GED. It is very evidetn.

CW on April 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Obama leads Romney something like 56 points among Latinos.

ddrintn on April 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Back to work I see. Do you even have a life? You must be one lonely sadsack. Laters.

CW on April 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I am not racist. I am prejudiced against conservatives of all colors

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Like Conservative Republican Barry Goldwater, who desegregated the Arizona National Guard before Democrat President Harry Truman desegregated the US military?

Keep shoveling.

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Obama leads Romney something like 56 points among Latinos.

ddrintn on April 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM

And Omarxist has a 97 point lead with blacks- like last time.
So what- your communist transformer is going down.
PACK YOUR BAGS Barry.
Back to the “community” where he came from- corrupt Chicago.

FlaMurph on April 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM

You are so awesome.

rogerb on April 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM

the policies I support will help ALL Americans thrive

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:08 PM

If you’d only had a filibuster proof Congress and a (D) president we’d really see some good employment and economic numbers, eh?

rogerb on April 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

That is pretty funny, your fear of extermination, since it is people on your side who discuss how they’ll have to kill about 25 million Americans who refuse to live according to your Marxist fantasies. You, and people like you are highly disturbing.

Night Owl on April 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

And the most racist people I have ever met are liberals. My step-grandmother is a diehard Democrat, yet refuses to vote Obama because he’s black.

I am white and engaged to half black/half hispanic woman I love to death.

Give people a chance before you hate them. And stop spreading hate before you give your niece and nephew a chance.

Chuck Schick on April 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM

the policies I support will help ALL Americans thrive

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:08 PM

LOL

What, theft? That’s the un-PC term for “wealth redistribution”, champ.

Or misogyny? That’s another Dem favorite. Keep posting, you’re driving dangerously close to full retard mode.

1984 in real life on April 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

So you Hate conservatives because they are religious, like wars, and like guns.

I notice in your screed above, you don’t say conservatives are “Racist”.

Or maybe in your parallel universe, being religious, liking wars and liking guns are Racist traits?

You have some serious issues, my friend.

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2012 at 6:18 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I also tell them that grown ups are lying to them… i mean someone has to push back against my stupid bigot sister…

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM

You are so awesome.

rogerb on April 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

the policies I support will help ALL Americans thrive

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:08 PM

ObamaCare certainly doesn’t do that. Medicare and Social Security are about 70 trillion in the hole.

You might help people now, but you’re just robbing people down the line to do it. When all this stuff goes down, you’re going to hurt people tremendously.

Chuck Schick on April 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

. There is no way you “earned” anything more than you GED. It is very evidetn.

CW on April 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I have a B.A. ok getting too personal up in here y’all have a good night

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Oh, and your idol, who solved the Gitmo problem by killing everyone with drone attacks instead of “illegally” jailing them. Yeah, you are the party of compassion and love.

Night Owl on April 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Wow. He flees at the slightest touch, doesn’t he?

rogerb on April 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Night Owl on April 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM

..you think that’s scary, check out MECHa and Aztlan and La Raza (emphasis added):

Apparently, these “Raza” cults are composed of people who unabashedly hate the United States and often support other groups and leaders who also hate America. Raza’s hatred of America is so intense, that most make bedfellows to anyone else who also hates America, like dictator Fidel Castro; murderer of his own people Sadam Hussain; and the women hating Taliban — and of course they sympathize with all Islamic Terrorists over the Israel/Palestine issue. Raza cults are the loudest and most insistent element of the immigration lobby in California. Inebriated with a sense of righteous victimhood, and entranced by myths of a heroic racial past, devotees of the Aztlan cults are rapidly extending their influence within California’s Hispanic population, particularly among students in the university system.

Disclamer: this is not typical of general Hispanic thinking, of course, as Hispanics are among the most ardent and hard-working of American citizens. But this is scary nonetheless.

The War Planner on April 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I have a B.A. ok getting too personal up in here y’all have a good night

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Translated: “I am getting Pwned!”

One simple question before you go…have you ever lived in the Blue State O’bama claims to have been born in? I have. A news flash for you-it’s just as Racist as any other State in America. And Whites are in the minority there.

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I’ll back you up on this, Del. I lived there for four years. If any white person wants to know what it feels like to be a despised minority, live in HI for a while. Despite that, I still love the place.

Kataklysmic on April 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I am not racist. I am prejudiced against conservatives of all colors

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

You most certainly are a racist, a race baiter, a liar and a coward.

Bmore on April 16, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Kataklysmic on April 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM

..surfed there a lot. Wish I had a nickel for every time I was hooted off a wave with the epithet, “F**kin’ Hoale”!

The War Planner on April 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Oh, poor, poor, poor, little bear.

Bmore on April 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Oh please..

That they disagree with you, does not make them bad people.. just smarter.

You are the stereotypical closed minded liberal.. to reject your politics, is twisted in your mind to a rejection of your race, you automatically demean denounce and dehumanize us never having even met us..

Do you even live near anyone of a race different than your own?

Whites are a minority on my street, yet we get along just fine.. some of the other folks here even vote republican. If I were like you.. I’d be bad mouthing them online as bad people and whispering of fears they are whimper…. coming for you..

It’s far more likely some group od deranger occupy lunatics will shoot up a business and it’s employees before anyone on the right would ever dream of such a thing..

but you go on feeling sorry for yourself, blaming everyone else for your failures, and daydreaming of mythical pogroms waged against you.. makes the excuses you exchange with your lefty fellow loosers all that much easier to swallow without thinking.

I don’t even own a gun.. haven’t needed too in this town,.. we don’t have much of an urban area to become a crime cesspool.. semi-rural, and we get along fine.. but we know how to tolerate different views.

You however..

need some counseling on race relations.. as well as tolerance for opposing views. You’d never make it in the service, haters and racists get booted during basic, they’re never smart enough to be able to hide it.

mark81150 on April 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Wow. He flees at the slightest touch, doesn’t he?

rogerb on April 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Bmore on April 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

That’s right…we’re coming for you. We’re under your bed, in your closet, crawling across your wall at night. What you think is the wind is really us trying to get in, what you believe to be a stick scratching your window is actually one of us trying to claw our way in.

There’s nowhere to hide. Nowhere. Nowhere…where…ere…er..er…er…er..

Bishop on April 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Bishop on April 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Lol! Completely true however.

Bmore on April 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I am not racist. I am prejudiced against conservatives of all colors

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

So, you’re a bigot, racist, narrow-minded American.

Lightswitch on April 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM

The War Planner on April 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM

How about kill hoale day. That was always fun. Stupid moaks.

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I am not racist. I am prejudiced against conservatives of all colors

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

the policies I support will help ALL Americans thrive

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:08 PM

DBareYOU LIE…!!!

KOOLAID2 on April 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM

How about kill hoale day. That was always fun. Stupid moaks.

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM

..dunno about stupid mokes, but that was for reals. (The sentiment was anyway.) Back in ’67, when I was going to UH for a Summer session, I got into two or three fights at Makapuu and one really bad one over on the leeward side at Maili (South of Makaha). After that, I went into the Blue Goose during happy hour and befriended the meanest looking — er — moke I could find and bought him beer all night. We got absolutely sh*t-faced and ended up in some dive over on Hotel Street but he never touched his wallet. After that, Dennis Hatchi and I became very close friends (he was best man at my wedding) and basically I never had any problems because it was me and Dennis from then on.

I guess, in a tangential way, this is what we are trying to impress on DBear. Once you get to know folks, they may be different, but most are pretty good people..

..even liberals.

The War Planner on April 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM

DBear took all the Santorum uh I mean Koolaid.

CW on April 16, 2012 at 7:14 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Don’t know who you are, but I will tell you, fellow, you sound really, really delusion. And if you don’t like this site, why don’t you stop posting????

chai on April 16, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I have a B.A.
DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Funny, I thought all you had was B.S.

LegendHasIt on April 16, 2012 at 7:25 PM

How about kill hoale day. That was always fun. Stupid moaks.

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM

..even liberals.

The War Planner on April 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Agreed. I was there in the mid ’70′s. Ended up making many friends that were locals. All in all, good times.

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM

chai on April 16, 2012 at 7:19 PM

A self hating alternative lifestyle individual.

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM

stationed there for 4 years … loved it and hated it … understood the get hoale attitude … living on base was a lifesaver … was able to go out and have a good time and not go bankrupt … made some good friends up on sunset beach …
good times … someday would like to take CinC house and go back for a visit …

conservative tarheel on April 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

yeah, problem is though that people like you are ten times worse, romanticizing utopias that all are usually built around one obsessive theme or idea: having other people pay for your choices and lifestyle…

jimver on April 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

DBear on April 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Won’t be long…banned. Off-topic, personal attacks.

jan3 on April 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM

hmmm I am going to have to be more careful ..
I do off topic ….. are the topic police rough here ?
I dont think I do personal attacks …

conservative tarheel on April 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM

There are two reasons for the uptick for Republicans.

First, is the jobless numbers that came out just before the Easter Weekend. As soon as the Easter weekend was over, polls IMMEDIATELY showing an improvement for Republicans. Unsurprisingly, this boost coincided perfectly with a noticeable drop in economic confidence.

In other words, by the time the end of March rolled around, voters were starting to believe that the economy had actually turned around. The rapid succession of bad economic news that we started seeing in April, has already largely negated that.

Romney also got a boost by becoming the defacto nominee. I do not believe this was the core reason Romney got a boost, but removing the lingering confusion from the primary did seem to help.

The Rosengate scandal also seemed to help slightly, though not as clearly. The numbers do seem to suggest that it has slightly softened Obama’s support among female voters, but we’ve only seem a modest amount of actual movement here. We don’t yet know if Obama will be able to regain momentum among this demographic, or if the War on Women meme is truly derailed for the rest of the campaign.

My read on it is that Republicans probably will do better among women than the polls suggest. History seems to suggest that this early in the campaign female voters default to the democratic side, but often break up slightly as election day nears.

Granted, that assertion only holds true when Republicans run a successful campaign. If Romney isn’t successful they probably won’t break up, much like in 2008.

WolvenOne on April 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

A poll of registered voters, nationwide, is a popularity contest, a candidate must win the battleground states. We need to see state by state polls, individually not mixed, you have to win them they are winner take all.

This is an interesting idea to explore, it is based on the presumption that the numbers mean people do not like what people in Congress think. We all have the instinct that people are frustrated with the rules of the House, the rules of the Senate and the fact that the Senate won’t pick up the House bills and vote on them.

I think if you went issue by issue, you would find that the majority of Americans want what the majority in the House want, they are just angry that they sent a new House to D.C. to Reverse Course, and Harry Reid has held it up and caused economic stagnation out here.

Fleuries on April 17, 2012 at 9:09 AM