British Labour Party “suspends” peer over Bush-Obama bounty

posted at 11:01 am on April 16, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Satirical swipe, diplomatic breach, or both?  The Labour Party in the UK has announced the suspension of Lord Ahmed after Pakistani media reported that the first-ever Muslim life peer and member of the House of Lords offered a £10 million bounty (roughly $16 million) for the capture of Barack Obama and George W. Bush.  The comments came after the US announced a $10 million reward for information that leads to the capture of the Lashkar-e-Taiba leader who masterminded the 2008 Mumbai attacks:

A Labour Party spokesman said: “We have suspended Lord Ahmed pending investigation. If these comments are accurate we utterly condemn these remarks which are totally unacceptable.”

According to Pakistan’s Express Tribune newspaper Lord Ahmed offered the bounty in response to a US action a week ago.

The US issued a $10 million reward for the capture of Pakistani militant leader Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, founder of the Lashkar-e-Taiba group, who it suspects of orchestrating the 2008 Mumbai attacks in which 166 people died as terrorists stormed hotels and a train station.

The British peer reportedly said: “‘If the US can announce a reward of $10 million for the (capture) of Hafiz Saeed, I can announce a bounty of £10 million (for the capture of) President Obama and his predecessor, George Bush.”

The suspension doesn’t appear to affect Baron Nazir Ahmed’s role in the House of Lords, only his status with the party.  Since he’s a life peer, that probably doesn’t impact his ability to engage in the British government.  It saves the Labour Party some embarrassment, but doesn’t affect Ahmed’s access, at least as I understand the House of Lords peerage system.

Ahmed, for his part, denies he said any such thing.  While he has called for war-crimes charges to be brought against Bush and Tony Blair in the past, Ahmed says that he never offered a bounty.  He does have, however, a history of making incendiary statements.  In 2009, Ahmed reportedly threatened to get 10,000 Muslims to “lay siege” to the House of Lords if they allowed controversial Dutch filmmaker and Islam critic Geert Wilders to speak, which he later also denied.  Ahmed also alleged that newly-knighted Salman Rushdie had “blood on his hands,” and last year traveled to Libya in what some saw as a protest against NATO action against Moammar Qaddafi, comparing it to the NATO war in Afghanistan, which Ahmed opposes.

Even if Ahmed did offer the bounty, it seems to have been poorly-constructed satire to criticize the bounty on Saeed.  The better question for Ahmed is why he’d argue on behalf of a terrorist who ran a mass-murder operation against civilians in Mumbai.  The Labour Party denounced that position in its statement:

“The international community is rightly doing all in its power to seek justice for the victims of the Mumbai bombings and halt terrorism.”

Ahmed doesn’t represent the UK, nor the Labour Party, at least not any longer, so this is more of a curiosity than a diplomatic incident.  Perhaps he and George Galloway might think about forming their own political party, since they seem to have roughly similar notions of justice and civilization.

Comments

Hm….doesn’t look British to me….

oldroy on April 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Hm….doesn’t look British to me….

oldroy on April 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM

He’s Irish. /

portlandon on April 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM

You have to ask?

upinak on April 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM

No worse really than what your typical Democrat said circa 2003-2008

angryed on April 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM

It should also include the New Black Panthers…..the bounty thingy.

a capella on April 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM

That’s right Ed, he is after all a little oppressed brown Muslim member of the House of Lords and not responsible for his thoughts ,deeds or speech. We all have to give our Muslim friend a pass on this. Think of Gaza after all, the pain it gives Islam.

BL@KBIRD on April 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM

The results of the European drive for “multi-culturalism…

PatriotRider on April 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Taking cues from our own ‘black panther’s? Figures if they can get away with bounty’s why can’t he.

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM

What a scumbag.

Red Cloud on April 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Western civilization was fun while it lasted.

faraway on April 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM

That would be the Tony Blair who made him Britain’s first Muslim life peer.

This guy’s a peach.

KingGold on April 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM

“Lord Ahmed”

Heh.

Tim_CA on April 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Long gone are the days when the most popular quotes in the US from UK all had something to do with “Pip pip” or “Cheerio”.

Now, we’re watching for “Allah akbar” from Parliament.

BobMbx on April 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I’m sure it was just a misunderstanding…yep, that’s it.

ellifint on April 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM

To bad Holder can’t rule on this, “bounty on bush….not guilty…….bounty on Obammy…… guilty” send him to the gallows………

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM

His life peerage can be revoked, but it would take an Act of Parliament. The bigger question is why this person was elevated to the peerage in the first place. He’s accomplished very little of any importance in his life other than being on his local council and being an agitator. Seems that his only qualification is that he’s a RoP’er.

Trafalgar on April 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Tim_CA
Don’t laugh it will soon be congressman Ahmed of Michigan ……………

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Londonistan…indeed!

d1carter on April 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM

It’s times like these I really miss Christopher Hitchens.

Go RBNY on April 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM

“Don’t forget to put a bounty on War Criminal Dick Cheney too!”

uppereastside

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Don’t laugh it will soon be congressman Ahmed of Michigan ……………

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 11:17 AM

You aren’t keeping up… Keith Ellison, of Minnesota.

upinak on April 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Trafalgar
And our own president has accomplished what before being elected as president?

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Never underestimate Lord Ahmed. He is very dangerous.

“The bigger question is why this person was elevated to the peerage in the first place.
Trafalgar on April 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Exactly.

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM

A Labour Party spokesman said: “We have suspended Lord Ahmed pending investigation. If these comments are accurate we utterly condemn these remarks which are totally unacceptable will wag our finger at him!.”

Easy. “Lord” Ahmed is Pakistani, Mumbai is in India.

cartooner on April 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM

upinak
Oops my bad, but his name isn’t ahmed…………;-)

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM

upinak
Oops my bad, but his name isn’t ahmed…………;-)

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM

So?

upinak on April 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Trafalgar on April 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Osama bin Laden was apparently unavailable at the time.

TXUS on April 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM

More’s the pity England has done away with the traditional ways to deal with errant Lords. No wonder Scotland is, in all likelihood, going to go the independent route.

Happy Nomad on April 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM

You aren’t keeping up… Keith Ellison, of Minnesota.

upinak on April 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Big difference between Ellison and this loony.

Ellison’s a commie lib, to be sure, but he’s never made the kind of remarks and threats that Ahmed has. Ahmed is getting closer and closer to advocating Islamism in Britain.

KingGold on April 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Rome also tried integrating barbarians into its social structure. We know how it ended.

Archivarix on April 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM

This Muslim blew it.
The job of prominent “moderate” Muslims is to allay fears of Islam, as if it were not by nature & history the most intolerant and warlike “religion” on the planet, with smiles and assurances that Muslim immigration & high birthrate (esp. with multiple Islamic female property wives) is nothing to worry about.

But sometimes they can’t help themselves and exhibit the truth.

Chessplayer on April 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM

KingGold on April 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Yet it is only a matter of time.

You know it and I know it and everyone else knows it as well.

upinak on April 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Ah yes, Blair appointed Ahmed to the Lords to show Muslims that he cared. Alas he appointed a terrorist sympathizer who just happens to be a multi-millionaire and an openly gay man.

It was an interesting choice to say the least. I gather he is somewhat ‘clubable’ – an entertaining media figure and practitioner of the alternative lifestyle. The terrorist thing one glosses over.

Never fear though. The House of Lords long ago became nothing but a symbolic body.

CorporatePiggy on April 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM

upinak
I get what your saying I needed a sarc/

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM

upinak
I get what your saying I needed a sarc/

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM

upinak on April 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Hm….doesn’t look British to me….

oldroy on April 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yeah, Roy, and I bet Herman Cain doesn’t look “American” to you, either.

yubley on April 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM

England/Europe are so lost.

How did this goodn get into the House of Lords in the first place?

With what money? Maybe Afghani drug dough?

Schadenfreude on April 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM

goodn = goon

Schadenfreude on April 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Lord Akmed

Oh please.

Cleombrotus on April 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Bet this guy isn’t to popular with ‘Lord” Ahmed either.

Like to see those two bump into each other in a pub, two men enter one man leaves. 8-)

warren on April 16, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Corporate piggy
what Muslim isn’t a terrorist sympathizer down deep?

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Schadenfreude on April 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM

That Religion of Peace strikes again!! Well, strikes fear in people’s hearts….

chai on April 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Hm….doesn’t look British to me….

oldroy on April 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM
He’s Irish. /

portlandon on April 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM

…nooooooooo!…He’s a White Pakistani!

KOOLAID2 on April 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM

The parliamentary system is really interesting, but I prefer democracy. How do you suspend a freely and democratically elected MP?

rogaineguy on April 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I disagree with the last paragraph. I think his attitude represents EVERY left of center politician and activist’s opinion. They all support the terrorists over our own westerners.

Warner Todd Huston on April 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Any ‘good muslim’ will be loyal FIRST to islam, not to any country or party. By loyalty, that means to the code of law that sharia is, and the form of government that is a part of the cult of islam.

slickwillie2001 on April 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Schadenfreude on April 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Don’t forget that other anti-semitic POS, “Red Ken” Livingstone.

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

You’re all wrong!
It’s not his fault, his name is spelled wrong, and it is all a misunderstanding.
Jeff Dunham had Achmed and someone near… heard him screech… I kill you !!!
It was just in fun!

KOOLAID2 on April 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Yeah, Roy, and I bet Herman Cain doesn’t look “American” to you, either.

yubley on April 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Nope – Cain looks “American” to me. Just calling attention to how the demographics of the free and open UK has changed. I bet Pakistan’s demographics haven’t changed much, have they?

oldroy on April 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Last fall, I wrote an article on Norway that you might find interesting, especially since the country is the home of the Nobel Peace Prize.

I think that you might be shocked, in fact.

Norway: A Tolerant, Inclusive, Diverse, Multicultural Society For Everyone…Except Jews

I actually meant to do one on Lord Ahmed and Anjem Choudary for my readers in the States and forgot. This incident reminded me that I need to get moving. The anti-semitism on the Left in the UK and in Europe is BREATHTAKING. When I started the piece on Norway, I wasn’t sure whether the anti-semitism was due to pure anti-semitism or appeasement. I think that I can safely say that it is, primarily, anti-semitism with some appeasement. Like their counterparts in the UK, they use terms like “Zionist” or “Palestinian apartheid” to camouflage their anti-semitism. The only real difference between Norway and the UK, at least at this point, is that the Muslim minority is much smaller.

Anyway, some of you might like to see what is happening and how men like Lord Ahmed gain power not only over the Muslim fanatics, but natives.

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM

This seems as good a time as any to mention that my niece’s ex-husband and their son are descended from a former mistress of King George IV.

Seth Halpern on April 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM

When is Britain (hmmm … and the US) going to learn Islam is not our friend and wants to destroy it/us.

TerryW on April 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I can announce a bounty of £10 million (for the capture of) President Obama

Don’t worry, our Secret Service will lay off the whores long enough to keep ol’ Jug Ears safe. It’s call “rotating shifts”.

But in case they fail, that’s a small price to pay for them to keep him.

What, that’s to give him back?

NoDonkey on April 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Don’t forget that other anti-semitic POS, “Red Ken” Livingstone.

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Indeed

I so hope that you work in an international law firm, of great impact. No need to comment.

Schadenfreude on April 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM

You have to ask?

upinak on April 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM

“Hear! Hear!”

Tsar of Earth on April 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Schadenfreude on April 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I went Galt the day Obama took office. I will not go back to work until he leaves. Under the 13th Amendment, they cannot make me work. Under the 16th Amendment, they can only tax realised income. Looks like they will have to find a way to fund their utopia without me. :-)

I’m thinking of selling bumper stickers:

FUND YOUR UTOPIA WITHOUT ME™

It is kind of the Two Thousand Teens answer to the 1960′s:

“Turn on, tune in, drop out”

LMFAO!

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Hm….doesn’t look British to me….

oldroy on April 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM

He’s Irish. /

portlandon on April 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Black Irish?

MooCowBang on April 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Heh, makes two of us :) Nothing is more satisfying than starving them. Ayn is very proud and smiles.

Now I like you even more. You’ve got a great mind.

I admire your gumption.

Schadenfreude on April 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Oh look! The muslim version of Al Sharpton!

Valkyriepundit on April 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

On yer sticker, the ultimate revenge toward lefties, aside from starving them is to sell them something.

I like your sticker, but design something that they would buy.

It’s pure ultimate Capitalistic evil and Schadenfreude.

p.s. sell both, for pure Western Capitalism and joy against them.

Schadenfreude on April 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Schadenfreude on April 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Deal. I’ve got to run. I’ll be back in about an hour. I love you, too, you know. AND, I LOVE YOUR NAME SOOOOO MUCH.

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM

All the same, run well, RwM, l8r

Schadenfreude on April 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Can’t we stow this f**ker in Gitmo?

MadisonConservative on April 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Look up his conviction for reckless.driving and the 12 weeks he spent in jail for killing another motorist.

He is a tool.

EnglishRogue on April 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Can’t we stow this f**ker in Gitmo?

MadisonConservative on April 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Sheesh, that w/b a transition from one House of Lords to another Country Club, the latter financed by you.

Schadenfreude on April 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM

rogaineguy on April 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Is that sarcasm? He is a a Lord, he isn’t elected.

EnglishRogue on April 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I am encouraged by some of the comments I’ve been reading at some of the UK news sites that allow comments…
When or will the British people stand up..?

d1carter on April 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Good for you. Welcome to the club.

LegendHasIt on April 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM

When or will the British people stand up..?

d1carter on April 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I suggest you ask that question of us after November when, perhaps,you just might have stood up yourselves and got rid of the Obama regime. Meanwhile at least we are actually beginning to make a small dent in our deficit….

callingallcomets on April 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM

FUND YOUR UTOPIA WITHOUT ME™

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I like it.

Cleombrotus on April 16, 2012 at 1:42 PM

FUND YOUR UTOPIA WITHOUT ME™
Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

So where do we order?

Cleombrotus on April 16, 2012 at 1:43 PM

callingallcomets on April 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I hope we will do just that in November. How do you change what is happening in the UK?

d1carter on April 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

callingallcomets on April 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I’ve emailed my fav writer in the UK, Melanie Phillips, to write about this and to keep us informed as to what is really going on. I have visited the UK many times and love it. I hope it survives this threat.

d1carter on April 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

d1carter on April 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Indeed, Melanie Phillips is a courageous one, a strong soul among the lost over there.

Schadenfreude on April 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Take him to the Tower of London pending charges for treason. The bloody bastard should have his head removed from his shoulders.

SC.Charlie on April 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM

KingGold on April 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM

You are aware of this thing called the internet?

Quote, St Paul Pioneer Press:

Perhaps the lowest moment in Minneapolis’s history was the September 1992 execution-style murder of police officer Jerry Haaf. Haaf was shot in the back as he took a coffee break at a restaurant in south Minneapolis. The murder was a gang hit performed by four members of the city’s Vice Lords gang. The leader of the Vice Lords was Sharif Willis, a convicted murderer who had been released from prison and who sought respectability as a responsible gang leader from gullible municipal authorities while operating a gang front called United for Peace.

The four Vice Lords members who murdered Haaf met and planned the murder at Willis’s house. Two witnesses at the trial of one of the men convicted of Haaf’s murder implicated Willis in the planning. Willis was never charged; law enforcement authorities said they lacked sufficient evidence to convict him.

Within a month of Haaf’s murder, Ellison appeared with Willis supporting the United for Peace gang front. In October 1992, Ellison helped organize a demonstration against Minneapolis police that included United for Peace. “The main point of our rally is to support United for Peace [in its fight against] the campaign of slander the police federation has been waging,” said Ellison.”

Ellison publicly supported the Haaf murder defendants. In February 1993, he spoke at a demonstration for one of them during his trial. Ellison led the crowd assembled at the courthouse in a chant that was ominous in the context of Haaf’s cold-blooded murder: “We don’t get no justice, you don’t get no peace.” Ellison’s working relationship with Sharif Willis came to an end in February 1995, when Willis was convicted in federal court on several counts of drug and gun-related crimes and sent back to prison for 20 years.

Bulletchaser on April 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM

When you import a new population you import new future leaders.

David Blue on April 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Ed, to be charitable, your analysis on this subject is naive in the extreme. Of course he represents Labour.
Even some members of the British left recognize the growing influence of Islamism on British left wing politics.

Nom de Boom on April 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Suspend him from a gallows, you cowards.

MelonCollie on April 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Pakistan has newspapers??

Sherman1864 on April 17, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Ahmed also alleged that newly-knighted Salman Rushdie had “blood on his hands”.

So, a British citizen writes a novel.
Some Muslims get offended and kill people.

Now guess which one has the “blood on his hands”?

Tzetzes on April 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Two bloody hands photos (not related to the Rushdie affair, but probably in any case not great fans of his):

one in real life