Breaking: Senate vote on Buffett Rule fails, of course; Update: Collins votes yes, Pryor votes no

posted at 7:15 pm on April 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

The vote began at 6:05 ET and as of an hour later they’re still holding it open, so we’ll have to wait for the final tally. The outcome isn’t in doubt but I’m curious to see if anyone from either party crossed the aisle. If ever Democrats could expect a lockstep vote from their caucus it, this is it. New from CNN, the breakdown when adults are asked whether they support a 30 percent minimum tax on people who earn more than a million dollars per year:

Majorities across the board say yes — including among Republicans. Is that enough of a nudge to get squishes like Scott Brown and Lisa Murkowski to vote yay for a lame populist pander that does almost nothing to reduce the deficit? We’ll find out any minute now. My own take on this is that, while swing voters are happy to support higher taxes on the rich when asked, they simply don’t care much. Ask them about jobs and gas prices and their eyes light up; ask them about this and you’ll get a diffident “yeah, I guess.” For a contrarian take, though, read Jazz Shaw’s response this past weekend urging conservatives not to underestimate the powerful appeal of a “fairness” narrative. I personally can’t imagine a scenario where the economy slogs along but voters decide to roll the dice on four more years anyway because O promises to squeeze a few extra pennies out of millionaires, but we’ll see.

Either way, bear in mind that this issue is simply a skirmish in the wider war to come over letting the Bush tax cuts lapse. I’m not sure, in fact, why O bothered with a gimmick like this when he could have spent the last few months making the case for those tax hikes instead. It’s the same basic argument — the rich need to pay their “fair share” — but in that case, he’d at least be able to point to trillions in new revenue to support his position. That is to say, there’s a fiscal argument to be made for killing the Bush tax cuts. The only argument to be made for the Buffett Rule, really, is moral based on an arbitrary definition of “fairness.” Why fight a battle like that on unfavorable ground? Maybe, I guess, just to force the GOP into voting it down so that you’ve got an extra little talking point for the campaign.

While we wait, here’s an RNC tribute to The One’s artistry in excuse-making. Add tonight’s vote on the “Buffett Rule,” a red herring on serious fiscal reform if ever there was one, to this list.

Update: The vote was 51/45. Stand by for the roll.

Update: As promised, here’s the roll. Straight party line — with two very predictable exceptions. Belated exit question: Why didn’t Scott Brown vote yes? Elizabeth Warren’s going to bludgeon him with this. Either he strongly agrees with me that the Buffett Rule is an electoral nothingburger or he’s being a surprisingly loyal party soldier this time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM

What scam? Are you insane? I have pulled no scam.

damian1967 on April 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Have not read enough … get better with it.

Anything else?

damian1967 on April 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I was really hoping you’d see the joke in that. I’m guessing everyone else could, so it’s a shame you didn’t. Thanks for at least responding, though (Lew mispoke- you don’t have to carry that water).

I appreciate you confirming that your computer actually does receive my posts, too (ABC link).

Sixty votes six pages. Wow. Nighty-nite.

rogerb on April 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM

WHy is it you have to resort to attacking me personally rather than having a discussion? Is it that hard, that not all people will agree with you.

Instead of calling me names and insulting me, tell me why I should agree with your thought.

I am thrying to engage in a discussion, however everytime I point out my views I am attacked for them.

No real reason for it.

damian1967 on April 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM

rogerb on April 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Goodnight!

damian1967 on April 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

What scam? Are you insane? I have pulled no scam.

damian1967 on April 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM

BS. Blue state, I can’t say where though, businessman, kids in private school, wife, etc. You’ll be alright.

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

arnold ziffel on April 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I know it hurts, but you will be ok. All true facts.

damian1967 on April 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Well, it has been fun, but I am off to bed. Have a beer and fall asleep :)

Take care.

damian1967 on April 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Really, whats the problem with it?

damian1967 on April 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Well let’s start with the fact that GM’s got bailed out by the taxpayer and lost billions when Obama sold the stock off at a loss. This was only a ploy to send money to the UAW pension funds.

Then there is the subsidy on the Volt itself. The taxpayer gave you about $20K to buy that tricked out golf cart. Give us that $20K back or STFU about how wonderful your golf cart is.

Happy Nomad on April 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Why is anyone responding to the 4chaner?

tom daschle concerned on April 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Frick (Collins) voted FOR, Frack (Snowe/Murky) voted NAY. Whodathunkit?

Mark, son of David, Pryor is trying to appear as though he’s a blue dog dem…

Gohawgs on April 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Scott Brown’s blue collar bona fides don’t need to be proven. The man drove a truck to Washington for God’s sake.

Also, his RINO-iness has been consistently overstated. He’s with us upwards of 80% of the time.

vegconservative on April 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Allahpundit continues to pander to Obama by giving him “cute” name monikers. Like O.Or,The One. What’s up with that, pal ?

Honestly, AP do you REALLY believe that Brown is a difference maker?

I don’t. Not many do. You give this man far too much credence and latitude simply because he occupies TK’s former seat. As for Warren, just another skank with no brain. Your posts on Brown now border on lunacy.

DevilsPrinciple on April 17, 2012 at 6:01 AM

What a piece of crap Collins is.

Whatever happened to the great state of Maine? Are they really buying all this divisive, socialist, class-warfare, give-me-my-hand outs nonsense? Honestly, do the math people- this is nothing but a cheap political trick and you…buy it?

Marcus Traianus on April 17, 2012 at 7:47 AM

What does a Collins, Snowe or Moocowski vote sell for on eBay nowadays?

viking01 on April 17, 2012 at 7:53 AM

On the subject on the first page about polls: The founders’ model wasn’t kibitzing or “responding to a poll” circulated by press hacks. It was interest . A person who went to the polls has expressed an interest, gathering up a popular opinion poll just shows that everybody has an opinion, despite whether they care enough to vote on it.

We know what opinions are like.

The tea party has expressed an interest in Constitutionality. To the extent that any Senate Republican should know that any bill the Senate would vote on that hasn’t passed the house is UNCONSTITUTIONAL and political theater at best. The really embarrassing thing is this raises so little actual revenue that it would have been political theater if it had passed.

Axeman on April 17, 2012 at 8:09 AM

If you read back a bit, I have many right leaning principals.
I do not agree with government mandated health care
I do not agree with government restrictions on right to bear arms
I do not agree with Government bail outs

damian1967 on April 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Ah yes, but

You do not agree with Constitutional restrictions … as well.

Axeman on April 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I’m not afraid of elections, never have been. I live in a solid blue state, that is much better off than most red states out there.

damian1967 on April 16, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Question is, will she have the courage to name the state.

Bishop on April 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM

The state of confusion, obviously.

NoFanofLibs on April 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM

What’s lost in all this is that President Vacation Spot Checker has convinced a lot of the people that higher taxes on rich folks is a good thing. We should all pay 10% with no loopholes, and the govt should only spend what we give them.

Kissmygrits on April 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM

can’t pass a budget in three years
but spend significant time trying to pass through a law that would
supposedly add 0.01 to the budget coffers

in reality it would severely hamper new job development

the senate must be taken back

audiotom on April 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM

IIRC, Damian lives in California.

Resist We Much on April 17, 2012 at 9:24 AM

With the waste in Obama’s Green jobs scams, the GSA party conventions, the Democrats will never get another tax increase on us. New leadership coming soon to Washington. Stand by, folks.

Amazingoly on April 17, 2012 at 9:28 AM

The public likes it – by a wide margin.
Yes, a political maneuver…by politicians…during an election season.
It does expose well for whom repubs are willing to fall on their swords for.
(Hint: It ain’t you guys.)

verbaluce on April 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

When you think about it, it’s kinda sweet how, despite all the recent tensions between them, in the end the GOP really looks out for Warren here. There are things they won’t even let their enemies do.
Pay a fair tax rate? My God, man…no!

verbaluce on April 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Pay a fair tax rate? My God, man…no!

verbaluce on April 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Could also be that they were looking out for Article 1, Section 7. Falling on your sword for the Constitution! How gauche!!

Axeman on April 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Axeman on April 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Even they don’t think they were doing that.

verbaluce on April 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Even they don’t think they were doing that.

verbaluce on April 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Kind of like your own acknowledgement that you don’t have an argument?

Got ya.

Axeman on April 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM

The public likes it – by a wide margin.

lucestools on April 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Consider the shocking possibilities that

a) “the public” isn’t terribly well informed on the subject for which you have determined their “likes”, and
2) “the public” might love the idea of this obnoxious liberal pr!ck billionaire getting a $150,000,000 tax bill much more than they love the general notion of a tax increase…especially for themselves.

As for me, sure, yeah, do it. Raise taxes on 400 people. The GOP should fully embrace the notion of “fairness” if that’s what O’Bonehead thinks he wants. We should stuff a new tax reform bill up Harry Reid’s asz with a flattened tax code and call it The Warren Buffett / Barry O’Bozo Fair Tax Bill. Raise taxes on billionaires to a minimum of 20%, and on everyone with a taxable income above $10,000, and on corporations, and on every other individual.

Jaibones on April 18, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Susan Collins is national embarrassment. I wonder what chance Maine voters have of putting her out.

Feedie on April 18, 2012 at 5:09 AM

Judas buffet… Please just take your 30 peices of silver and hang yourself.

Now that you’ll have to wait 6-12 months for a doctors visit for your prostate you’ll need to have it removed. Then you’ll be walking around in diapers whizzing all over yourself.

Oh, that’s right, I forgot you won’t be on obamacare. You’ll have some, seperate but equal, healthcare plan. Good enought for us but not for you goverment employees and your cronies.

May gyou get yours on judgement day.

acyl72 on April 18, 2012 at 7:28 AM