Barney Frank: Hey, maybe we shouldn’t have passed ObamaCare

posted at 8:09 pm on April 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

Amazing. For better or worse, this is O’s signature “achievement.” If he’d dropped the bill after Scott Brown won the Massachusetts special election, what would be left of his argument to liberals to turn out in force for him in November? Yeah, I know, they’re not big fans of ObamaCare either — they wanted a public option, not a mandate that enriches private insurers — but he helped them take an enormous stride towards their goal of single-payer down the line. If he’d bailed out, his case to his own base would be (a) ending a war that they ceased caring about once he was elected and (b) passing a stimulus that didn’t have nearly as dramatic an effect on unemployment as the Democratic brain trust advertised. How do you tell people who handed you the presidency and a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate that you can’t get a key bill through because, well, the politics of it are kind of dicey?

You think Obama overinterpreted his mandate with health care?
The problem with health care is this: Health care is enormously important to people. When you tell them that you’re going to extend health care to people who don’t now have it, they don’t see how you can do that without hurting them. So I think he underestimated, as did Clinton, the sensitivity of people to what they see as an effort to make them share the health care with poor people.

I think we paid a terrible price for health care. I would not have pushed it as hard. As a matter of fact, after Scott Brown won, I suggested going back. I would have started with financial reform but certainly not health care.

And if you’d done it with that sequencing, you could have still gotten health care before 2012?
I’m not sure, but I think you could have gotten some pieces of it. And yeah, if we’d held the House, we could have gotten it.

Frank thinks, I guess, that they could have done a more robust financial reform bill if they hadn’t wasted all their political capital on O-Care. I’m skeptical given Wall Street’s financial influence over both parties. If they had dropped ObamaCare, maybe they could have gotten through immigration reform instead. Blue Dogs would have had some leeway to vote for it since they wouldn’t have had O-Care hanging around their necks and it would have been a huge boon for the party in building on its advantage among Latinos for 2012, even if it did make life harder for Dems in purple districts in the midterms. (Then again, immigration’s an awfully tough sell in the middle of a grinding recession.) But then, why would you want to sacrifice the age-old liberal dream of universal-ish health care when it’s finally, finally feasible for some lesser policy agenda item? I’ve always grudgingly admired the Dems for gambling their majority in the House on the bill at the top of their policy wishlist. The GOP will need the same attitude to reform entitlements when it gets the chance. Frank’s basically arguing that that was a bad move, that they should have played small ball in hopes of maybe holding onto their congressional majorities — which was by no means assured given the state of the economy, whether ObamaCare passed or not. Why sacrifice a chance to impose a policy paradigm shift on America when, at long last, you have the numbers to do so?

Exit question: Which “pieces” of O-Care would he have pushed through at first as a prelude to passing everything later? The popular stuff, like the provision about preexisting conditions? The whole point of the mandate is that you have to do all the reforms at once to ensure that there’s revenue available to cover all the new coverage requirements. Doing it piecemeal would risk an insurance “death spiral” — although maybe that’s the point. Pass the stuff that everyone likes first and then, when the insurance industry starts to creak and sputter, turn around and say that we simply have to pass a mandate and various other rules to make the good stuff viable.

Comments

I think Barney Frank, since he is retiring, can speak his mind and he is laying the groundwork for the rationalization of the coming Obama defeat in November.

crosspatch on April 16, 2012 at 8:11 PM

BTW: The poor already have Medicaid, Bawney.

cynccook on April 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Hear that, it’s the sound of rats plopping into the water as they attempt to escape the sinking ship.

By about September 10th or so, ObamaCare will have morphed into DubyaCare and PBHO will be claiming that Ronald Reagan is his real father.

Bishop on April 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Please, please, SCOTUS, strike down this abominable bill. Cause the dem slaughter of 2010 to have been for naught!

innominatus on April 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Hey, maybe the night shift should find what the day shift already covered.

Knott Buyinit on April 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Barney Frank: Hey, maybe we shouldn’t have passed ObamaCare

“Hey, maybe me I shouldn’t have created the Housing Bubble”

Electrongod on April 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM

No shyte, Sherlock!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Hey, Barney! Go straight to hell, you wretched POS!

Sincerely,
Former Mass. Resident

RedNewEnglander on April 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Hmm… when an arch-liberal like Frank dares to denigrate the crowning glory of statism… then he may have finally admitted why the ‘rats got their arses handed to them in 2010.

And sees that same locomotive rounding the bend in 2012.

CPT. Charles on April 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Wow what a rocket scientist, lookout everyone this guy is sharp

Conservative4ev on April 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Free size 44B+ breast implants for queens ?

burrata on April 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM

This man should be in prison.

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I do wonder if Barney reached that epiphany,while
in his Basement Lair!

canopfor on April 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM

The truth is that if this bill were popular, Bawney would be in front of the ticker tape parade trying to take credit, as it is it just furnishes further proof of the perfidy of the Left. I’m still enjoying it, though.

cynccook on April 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM

This man should be in prison.

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM

That would be like a trip to Disney Land for Bawnee Fwaank …
;-)

burrata on April 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Really?

Funny – admiration is the last thing I feel.

This is the most destructive piece of legislation put forward in my lifetime – and the way it was passed (using misleading info, liberal math, fear mongering, partisan bullying and parlimentary shenanigans over a holiday was disgusting).

Where you have “grudging admiration”.

I have “grudging disgust”.

Tim_CA on April 16, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Aw Barney, say it ain’t so!

Don’t you want to ‘roll the dice one more time’?

Another case of being ‘blinded by ideology’ Barney?

Here’s a thought Barney – MAYBE THE IDEOLOGY IS WRONG!

GarandFan on April 16, 2012 at 8:25 PM

That would be like a trip to Disney Land for Bawnee Fwaank …
;-)

burrata on April 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

1. Ewwwww

2. True

cynccook on April 16, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Let’s see- A) fix the economy which will allow more and more people to buy their own health care insurance, or B) enlarge the government that is already broke to try to get more people health insurance without being able to pay for it?

Obama went with B, and will get neither.

profitsbeard on April 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM

This is the bottom line. O-Care is ultimately not about universal health care. It’s about total government control of medicine. And also about abolishing a large chunk of the private sector by making it a government-run monopoly.

Why? Ultimately, because “progressives”, or “liberals”, or whatever you call them, are arrogant, egotistical, elitist control freaks. They don’t just want “top-down” health care, they want “top-down” everything. And are certain that they will always be on top.

If necessary, they are perfectly willing to break, or simply ignore, the law to get there, and stay there.

I suspect that Barney’s regrets are less about the fact that they’re likely to lose O-Care in the Supreme Court, and more about the fact that he is starting to realize that in their method of passing it, the way they “exempted” all their friends who helped pass it from it, and the way they treated anybody who wasn’t “on the team”, he and the rest of the “enlightened elite’” may just have given the American people too close a look at what the “Ruling Class” (like himself) really thinks of the “Great Unwashed”. And at what they dream of doing to the rest of us in the future, and how.

He really doesn’t want the “man in the street” putting two and two together. He might just come up with four, no matter how stridently Obama, and Frank, and Company insist that it really equals five.

clear ether

eon

eon on April 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM

This man should be in prison.

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM

That would be like a trip to Disney Land for Bawnee Fwaank …
;-)

burrata on April 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I think Fwank would feel more punished by being sent for the remainder of his days to a monastery.

predator on April 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Bishop on April 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

… and that his real mother was Diana Ross.

TXUS on April 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM

That would be like a trip to Disney Land for Bawnee Fwaank …
;-)

burrata on April 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I’m trying to eat dinner dude.

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:27 PM

This man should be in prison.

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM

For fannie/freddie or for that doodoo train he was involved in back in the ’80′s. I vote both.

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Ta Da!!!!!!!!!

The Liberals could give rats *ss about the HealthCare Bill,
only in that,come election time,they could have a feather in
their caps,to tell their voters,see we delivered,and thats
it!!

canopfor on May 24, 2010 at 2:40 PM

canopfor on April 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I’m trying to eat dinner dude.

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Is it bryndzové halušky? :-)

cynccook on April 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I’m trying to eat dinner dude.

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Well you have to admit, JP, posting about Bawney being sent to prison is some pretty, um, low hanging…fruit.

predator on April 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM

That would be like a trip to Disney Land for Bawnee Fwaank …
;-)

burrata on April 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Send him to a women’s prison then.

bazil9 on April 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Bishop on April 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Bishop:With the MSM,marching to da beat!:)

canopfor on April 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I was not a citizen of this country in the 80′s, so I don’t know anything about the doodoo train.

Feel free to clue me in.

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM

It makes me wonder whether or not Barney knows something about the SCOTUS decision.

Meanwhile … cover your buttocks … just in case.

ORrighty on April 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM

burrata on April 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM
————————————

Send him to a women’s prison then.

bazil9 on April 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM

bazi9:Barney will just get a waiver!(sarc):)

canopfor on April 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM

What kind of horsefeathers’ claim is this, Franks? Opponents of this federal power grab objected to the imposition of purchasing insurance with its costly mandated coverage and taking away liberties from the consumer. Stop playing the bleeding-heart class-warfare games.

onlineanalyst on April 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM

canopfor on April 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Gitmo then. :)

bazil9 on April 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM

“Hey, maybe me I shouldn’t have created the Housing Bubble”

Electrongod on April 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM

THIS.

mimi1220 on April 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Hey, Barney! Go straight to hell, you wretched POS!

Sincerely,
Former Mass. Resident

RedNewEnglander on April 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM

C’mon man,tell us how you really feel. Do you like him or not?

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Is it bryndzové halušky? :-)

cynccook on April 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM

No sheep cheese dumplings, just cold pizza :(

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Boondoggling Barney and his prostitution ring are finally coming out. He’s hiding something, not sure what it is, but you bet they got him on something. Bawnee da frankfurter smuggler isn’t leaving under his own will. I can’t wait to hear about it.

Tbone McGraw on April 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Bishop on April 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

…I think in Barney Franks case Bishop …it’s the sound of gerbils and hamsters plopping into water.

KOOLAID2 on April 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Feel free to clue me in.

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM

His male escort/lover was running a prostitution ring out of BF’s basement. BF claimed he knew nothing about it. The “ethics” committee concurred.

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I think Fwank would feel more punished by being sent for the remainder of his days to a monastery nunnery.

predator on April 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM

FIFY. A monastery might be right up Bwarney Fwank’s alley….especially if there were hairshirts, cat-o-nine tails, self-flagellation or “you flagellate my back-I’ll flaggelate yours,” etc., involved. Better to send him to a nunnery for punishment.

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Better to send him to a nunnery for punishment.

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

But of course. What was I thinking.

predator on April 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Thank you…you POS…for the housing market!
(…add..Lowlife MF POS!)

KOOLAID2 on April 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Think I’m gonna hurl.

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM

That Barney Frank breathes, walks, and talks refutes the notion of karma, utterly and conclusively.

M240H on April 16, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Apparently Obamacare was all about blacks: “Because of the steps we’ve taken there are 410,000 African American young adults across the country who were uninsured but now have insurance coverage under their parents’ health plan, thanks to the new law,” Sebelius said.

slickwillie2001 on April 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Between BO and holder, it’s all been reparations under different names.

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Why don’t Leftists ever man up? They never seem to want to claim credit for their own policies.

SouthernGent on April 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

O_O

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Barney Frank….does anyone really care what his c0ck sucker has to say?

FWIW, I plead the Buckley Defense.

TheHonorableJohnSchwartz on April 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Bawney didn’t even lose his “Franking” privileges.

predator on April 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I’m trying to eat dinner dude.

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:27 PM

JPeterman:Well,I`m having Chili with pickles,haha!:)

canopfor on April 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Has anyone ever seen his teeth? I don’t think he has any. Just wonderin’.

tbear44 on April 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Bawney didn’t even lose his “Franking” privileges.

predator on April 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM

WTF is up with MA? I mean Patrick, Kennedy, Frank, Kerry, Warren, and a few more I’m sure. I’m ABO this year, but $hit, Romney better be an exception to the rule.

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Has anyone ever seen his teeth? I don’t think he has any. Just wonderin’.

tbear44 on April 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Foldbacks?

predator on April 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Has anyone ever seen his teeth? I don’t think he has any. Just wonderin’.

tbear44 on April 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM

He has false teeth but he tends to lose them when he goes on dates.

slickwillie2001 on April 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

canopfor on April 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Gitmo then. :)

bazil9 on April 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM

bazil9:Sorry for the late responce,lol,brilliant!:)

canopfor on April 16, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Has anyone ever seen his teeth? I don’t think he has any. Just wonderin’.

tbear44 on April 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM

He has false teeth but he tends to lose them when he goes on dates.

slickwillie2001 on April 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Looks like my diet has arrived. I’m gonna lose twenty pounds by reading these posts and not being able to eat.

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 9:03 PM

SouthernGent on April 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM

SouthernGent:Good point Southern:)

canopfor on April 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 9:03 PM

msupertas:Lol:)

canopfor on April 16, 2012 at 9:05 PM

DUDE, THAT’S TOE-UP!

Christien on April 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM

He has false teeth but he tends to lose them when he goes on dates.

slickwillie2001 on April 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 9:14 PM

SouthernGent on April 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM

For that would cause their world to crumble, the world built up by lies.

SparkPlug on April 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM

SouthernGent on April 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Being a Progressive means never having to say you’re sorry or admit that you were/are wrong.

This is a case-in-point.

Resist We Much on April 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Barney Frank is one repulsive slug of a man.

SparkPlug on April 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Yep. Bwarney wouldn’t have meddled with fannie & freddie or passed health care. Badically the only 2 things he will ever be remembered for, other than the massive moobs faux pa.

How’s that make you feel Bwarney???

Aw, nevermind, we all know you’re WAY too arrogant to admit when you’re wrong – unless you’re trying to make someone else look terrible in your place that is.

You’re a “class act” Bwarney Fwank………

KMC1 on April 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Barney Frank is one repulsive slug of a man.

SparkPlug on April 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM

You have that right, I’m glad he is retiring. To bad it isn’t in prison garb for everything he did in the mortgage market, but at least he is gone. I agree that I think Barney sees the writing on the wall, the beat down of O care is going to be pretty nasty, and if the SCOTUS strikes it entirely, the one has nothing left for a legacy.

uncommon sense on April 16, 2012 at 9:30 PM

A rare (and short lived, no doubt) moment of clarity from Slobbering-Hog-Boy.

Now, back to oinking for obama…

Pork-Chop on April 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM

slickwillie2001 on April 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM

That was part of the pitch for passage all along. You will recall that Pelosi paraded into Congress, wielding her super gavel, followed by members of the Congressional Black Caucus. Objections made that the bill was unconstitutional, too, were followed by caterwauling from the race-baiters that following the Constitution would send us all back to slavery days. I guess that the dimwits failed to understand that the Constitution includes the Amendments.

onlineanalyst on April 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Has anyone ever seen his teeth? I don’t think he has any. Just wonderin’.

tbear44 on April 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Foldbacks?

predator on April 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Yea, but, what about the reverse motion. Wouldn’t that be like trying to pull an arrow out? Rip those foldbacks right out of there. Man, this is not a good subject.

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM

SouthernGent on April 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Bawny Fwank man up? Don’t think that’s ever going to happen.

tbear44 on April 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM

He must have found out that Obamacare doesn’t cover gerbil removal.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on April 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

msupertas on April 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Maybe we can give MA back to England?

karenhasfreedom on April 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Bawny Fwank man up? Don’t think that’s ever going to happen.

Up? Top? He looks like bottom to me.

southernms on April 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Old Barney is just patting himself on the back. He sees the steamroller coming in November and is getting in his “I told you so” on the healthcare issue. He wouldn’t have pushed it so hard. He suggested backtracking after Scott Brown’s election, and he would have started with financial reform but certainly not healthcare. A moment of regret…no…just tootin’ his own horn…as usual.

lynncgb on April 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Yep, exactly. And it would have been an extremely strong argument. After all, there are a lot of people here who defend the MA mandate on exactly the same grounds.

Just Sayin on April 16, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Sorry, Bawney… Buyer’s remorse… You passed Obamacare… You DIMocrats own it…

Lock, stock and barrel… It is your millstone… Enjoy!!

Khun Joe on April 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM

My, what a repellant repugnant bastard.
Redundant, but accurate.

S. D. on April 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM

That’s why they was so much wailing and gnashing of teeth during the SCOTUS hearing on Obamacare: if the SCOTUS strikes it down, they will have sacrificed everything for nothing — actually, less than nothing, because a bad ruling on Obamacare would establish an outside limit on the power and scope of the federal government under the Commerce Clause. That is the last thing that liberals and progressives wanted to see as the legacy of their moment in the sun.

Progressive Heretic on April 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I’m trying to eat dinner dude.

JPeterman on April 16, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Eating dinner while reading a Barney Frank post?

Risky business sir.

22044 on April 16, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Frank knows, like the rest of us have known since the beginning, that this piece of legisaltion is the worst thing to happen to the American people since the New Deal.

Uh oh, liberals are going to say that I hate poor people…

You know what, the only people that PITY poor people are liberals.

I know( for a fact in my own community), given the right opportunity, they would choose to earn a living, instead of the the handout this administration keeps telling them that they deserve.

You know what, they deserve a job!

When is Obama going to come through with that?

ccrosby on April 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Romney 2012

Repeal ØbamaCare 2013

petefrt on April 17, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Bishop on April 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

So true.

petefrt on April 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM

It’s all about hindsight.

Ukiah on April 17, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Cracks me up, bwarney using the phrase: “I would not have pushed it as hard”.

anikol on April 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Another fat, ugly, creepy, disgusting puke. Even jail is too good for this creep.

UnEasyRider on April 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Gee, Bawney, if you had done financial refawm in 2005, like the Republicans wanted, we wouldn’t have had the weal estate collapse.
Wememba, there was nothing wong with Fannie and Fweddie, wight?

Steve Z on April 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM

If you think about it, the prevailing conventional political wisdom would probably have assumed that once something is passed (i.e. Obamacare) then it is a done deal. Very unlikely that it would be threatened and can chug along.

Problem. Economic turmoil. Unemployement. Unprescedentedly large “peacetime” deficits. A Republican Senate minority that learned its lessons well from the Democrats about “stopping stuff”. It looks like a Perfect political storm was approaching.

They had ONE real chance to get it done. Multiple votes on various provisions would have sunk Obamacare so they crammed everything they could into the bill so it could get passed essentially in one try which they did. Then they lost the House in 2010 and they find to their horror that maybe the voters are more angry about it than they expected and maybe emough of them are angry enough to do something about it.

Thomas Sowell often remarked that politicians often look only at the immediate “benefits” and ignore the “costs” because those costs can be deferred. Perhaps those “costs” are possibly coming due a lot sooner than might have been expected.

Russ808 on April 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM