Quotes of the day

posted at 9:01 pm on April 15, 2012 by Allahpundit

“‘It’s a ridiculous argument. Ridiculous. It’s been largely debunked this week by the people who have looked at it,’ said Geithner. ‘It’s a ridiculous way to look at the problem. And this is a political moment and you’re going to be seeing — just to borrow a line from Mario Cuomo — ‘you’re going to see a lot of politicians choose to campaign in fiction. But we have to govern in fact.”

“Geithner was responding to recent allegations by Romney that the Obama administration had waged a ‘war’ on women. Romney said earlier this week that the ‘real war on women has been waged by the policies of the Obama administration … did you know that of all the jobs lost during the Obama years, 92.3 percent of them are women. During the Obama years, women have suffered.’

“I asked Geithner about the technical accuracy of the Romney claim and he explained ‘this crisis was a very damaging crisis, hurt everybody. And it began in, as you know, in early 2008. And a lot of the early job losses in 2008 affected men, because they affected construction and manufacturing. And as the crisis spread and state and local governments were forced to cut back on services and fire a lot of teachers, that caused a lot of damage to women, too.’”

***

“Republican Sen. John McCain on Sunday said Mitt Romney will be able to bridge the gender gap in the next election given that women, as the candidate’s wife said, care most about the economy.

“‘I do believe that Ann Romney was right when she said the women she talks to and the women I talk to, traveling around my state, are interested in jobs and the economy,’ McCain, a Romney backer, said on CBS’ ‘Face the Nation.’ ‘There’s no doubt that a lot of women have been hurt very badly in this recession. And jobs and the economy is their number one priority.’”

***

“On Sunday, Bachmann defended Ann Romney and accused the Obama administration of neglecting women struggling in the recession.

“‘The one thing I know when women are home full time they probably have a better pulse on the economy than even their husbands have, because they are the ones who are directly impacted by the prices of groceries, by the price of gasoline, but the price of dealing with banking and all the other factors of running a home,’ she said.

“‘Ann Romney certainly understood the economy and I think women all across the country were highly insulted and they should be because women have borne the brunt of the failed economic policies under Barack Obama. Just as one example, they are paying $2,000 a year more for gasoline than they did the day Barack Obama came into office,’ Bachmann added.”

***

“Mr. Romney’s advantage lies in explaining to women why fat-boy government in general disproportionately hurts them, and how better policies are the path to genuine liberation…

“Mr. Romney might note the damage done to women by antiquated but still operative labor law, such as a provision in the 1938 Fair Labor Standards Act that requires hourly workers who put in more than 40 hours a week to get overtime. While some women like overtime, a 1990s poll found that 81% said they’d rather pack more hours into fewer days and receive compensatory time off. The phrase for this is ‘flex time,’ an invaluable option for many mothers attempting to juggle work and family. Not in this Democratic war…

Government creates myriad roadblocks for women’s economic progress, but Republicans largely have failed to make that case. They’ve instead let themselves be dragged into the tired debate over ‘equal pay’ and ‘women’s rights’ and ‘gender equality.’ Democrats love competing on these terms because it allows them to argue that the remedy always lies with more government, no matter the adverse consequences. It’s no accident that the first piece of legislation Mr. Obama signed was the Lilly Ledbetter Act. Purporting to snuff out wage discrimination, this is mostly a litigation bonanza for trial lawyers.

“Mr. Romney, and women, would be better off if the Republican brought this debate into the 21st century. What women need most in the economy we’ve got now is choice, opportunity and ownership. The Democrats want a war. Most women want a living.”

***

“Poor women who stay at home to raise their children should be given federal assistance for child care so that they can enter the job market and ‘have the dignity of work,’ Mitt Romney said in January, undercutting the sense of extreme umbrage he showed when Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen quipped last week that Ann Romney had not ‘worked a day in her life.’…

“On Sunday, Romney spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg told The Huffington Post in an email, “Moving welfare recipients into work was one of the basic principles of the bipartisan welfare reform legislation that President Clinton signed into law. The sad fact is that under President Obama the poverty rate among women rose to 14.5 percent in 2011, the highest rate in 17 years. The Obama administration’s economic policies have been devastating to women and families.’

“Mitt Romney, however, judging by his January remark, views stay-at-home moms who are supported by federal assistance much differently than those backed by hundreds of millions in private equity income. Poor women, he said, shouldn’t be given a choice, but instead should be required to work outside the home to receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families benefits.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

“Maher, who gave a $1 million to the Super PAC aligned with President Obama, defended Hilary Rosen’s comments about Ann Romney on HBO’s ‘Real Time with Bill Maher,’ saying ‘what she (Rosen) meant to say, I think, was that Ann Romney has never gotten her a** out of the house to work.’

“ABC News’ Cokie Roberts added that Maher’s comments, like Rosen’s, hurt the Democratic image.

“‘The fact is, is that it plays into an image of the Democrats as this out of — out of touch with regular people and — and elitist and kind of snooty,’ said Roberts.”

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

We can ask Mrs. Anthony Weiner…

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Very, very bad. :)

arnold ziffel on April 16, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Kinda reminds me of Lance…/

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Past my bed time. Need that beauty rest. :)

Night!

4Grace on April 16, 2012 at 3:14 AM

4Grace on April 16, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Perfect country song.

arnold ziffel on April 16, 2012 at 3:16 AM

bazil9 on April 16, 2012 at 3:11 AM
I agree. I like it.

Rusty Allen on April 16, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Gohawgs, that is awesome. I just posted that for 4grace. I guess we are a pig pack, herd?

arnold ziffel on April 16, 2012 at 3:18 AM

I am not into “skinny jeans” “Hipster wear” Starbucks and the latest I phone. Lame. Even the shaggy 70′s hair is back.
Clean up and wear some Deo.
Actually go to college and get a real degree, not liberal studies.

So, Rusty..that is odd to me.

Good night late night HA peeps. Have a fantastic week.

bazil9 on April 16, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Do you remember Billy Clyde Tuggle? How about Brad accused of killing poor Jennie? I don’t even remember what shows were what, just the characters. Those soaps were so addicting and back then we had something like ten channels.

arnold ziffel on April 16, 2012 at 3:07 AM

I had to think about it for awhile but they came back to me, Billy- mustached criminal dude.
Brad(short) and Jennie(pretty) star crossed lovers, stopped watching right about that time.
We’ll really got to go now, I catch you all later.
Thanks for the chat… don’t tell danish, oh yeah she already knows.
I hear she’s setting up a new HotAir chat room for us./
Nite Nite.

MontanaMmmm on April 16, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Rusty Allen on April 16, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Cuz, next you’ll be posting this

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 3:24 AM

KOOLAID2:

Was reading through the thread and saw you had a welsh terrier. I am a big terrier fan, in fact, I have a welsh terrier now. However I have always had Airedales before. This little welshie is quite a handful. She is scary smart but just may be the most stubborn dog on the planet. Did you find that with your welsh? She is also the funniest dog we have ever had.

JannyMc on April 16, 2012 at 3:27 AM

arnold ziffel on April 16, 2012 at 2:58 AM

+ 100..Thumbs up..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 3:28 AM

4Grace on April 16, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Tip the fedora to you..Great one..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 3:31 AM

arnold ziffel on April 16, 2012 at 3:16 AM

+ 100..Now you are talking!!..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 3:33 AM

One of my favorites..

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 3:34 AM

OT: Well, if anyone was wondering, the troll Random/Mitchell Heisman has just messed up his socks, while having himself on “suicide watch” for the last 5 hours, in the “I don’t regret aborting” thread. Apparently there may be a few other socks involved.

Yoop on April 16, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Hello!! Is there anybody out there??..:)

PS..The second guitar solo is arguably one the best!!..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 3:38 AM

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 3:34 AM

Very nice..Well played!..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Yoop on April 16, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Went there, stuck my head in the door–almost got hit in the head with some random flying object, so I quickly closed the door…

Hello Dire…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 3:44 AM

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 3:34 AM

Very nice..Well played!..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Always makes me sad to see that song, even though I love it so much…they didnt make it as a couple..

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Yoop on April 16, 2012 at 3:37 AM

What a waste. Multiple nics should get booted asap…

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Not in baseball

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Hello Dire…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:01 AM

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 3:45 AM

I know what you mean..:(

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 3:58 AM

But it’s all right!..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Go to the vault and look up 06/20/11 QOTD that remain the Largest QOTD on record at HA..:)

Dire Straits on April 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Was that the one that Lourdes continued for like 24 hrs or something?

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:13 AM

But it’s all right!..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Dude, are you on my fb page, cause I just posted this…like 5 minutes before you…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Was that the one that Lourdes continued for like 24 hrs or something?

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Bingo!..That is the one..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:19 AM

The Price is right

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 4:20 AM

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Not on FaceBook..But I love the Traveling Wilburys..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Just blew me away that I had just posted a song from them, come here and then you posted one…heh

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:27 AM

But it’s all right!..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:08 AM

It is, now

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 4:28 AM

The Price is right…

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Sure, go ahead and make me cry…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Bingo!..That is the one..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:19 AM

The only reason that thread was shut down, after 17 hours of lying liars lying, was because Erick and Redstate picked up on it…

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Sure, go ahead and make me cry…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:28 AM

I have that effect on women…

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Hey Dire, remember that time TxMomof3 and I got into it with some chick here..Damn, cant remember her name but she had a nervous breakdown. It was the thread where the term “cupid stunt” was created…Lourdes reminds me of whats-her-name. (Damn that CRS disease–cant remember shit)

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:31 AM

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Do not forget this little side note..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Heh…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:32 AM

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:31 AM

AnnainCa or Jenfidel?…

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 4:32 AM

Do not forget this little side note..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:31 AM

How could I forget…love that one!

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:33 AM

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:31 AM

I remember it well.I think her “name” was atheling..that was a classic..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM

Never Ann, and maybe Jen…it was an epic cat fight…I mean EPIC. The guys just stood around wishing there was more jello…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM

Or should I say mud..

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:35 AM

AP had to step in and close that one down too…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:36 AM

I remember it well.I think her “name” was atheling..that was a classic..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM

Could’ve been…certainly not our “lil annual flower”, though

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 4:43 AM

The guys just stood around wishing there was more jello…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM

I agree..Even Bishop stood back!!..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 4:44 AM

It may have been her…I had it saved on my other laptop, but it crashed…dont have it anymore…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:46 AM

To bed. I’m out…

C’mon Mitt, grab them by the ear and kick ‘em in the ass over their failed socialist policies…

Gohawgs on April 16, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Night Gohawgs…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Night Dire, I leave with this one, got to actually meet her when she came to Des Moines back in the day…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 5:01 AM

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Excellent.Enjoyed it.:)

PS..Bonnie rules..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2012 at 5:28 AM

Well guess a clean up is in order, hope I don’t find any bodies, ok, not bad………..

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Your mother does not work here, please pick up any, songs, bodies, and trash left on the floor……

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Well alright..,….Doors are now open for the morning crew……,…have a good day ppl……

angrymike on April 16, 2012 at 5:58 AM

*blink,blink*

Cokie Roberts? That came from her mouth?

*blink,blink*

Ok, what alternate reality did I wake up in today?

ajacksonian on April 16, 2012 at 6:37 AM

This is so ridiculous. Obviously, there is a difference between public and private..that is the whole point. Romney is not saying poor woman should not be given a choice, he is saying that people on public assistance should be working when possible. I mean come on..that is just an absurd comparison.

Terrye on April 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Hilarious on Maning Joe when they have any negative story on Obama or his Administration to report that Joe and Mika and Willie would rather deflect. “Did you see the graphics in that story?!” “Look at the tie that guy is wearing!” “OK, what’s next.”

I suppose they’re proud and “unbiased” if they even ran the story to begin with.

Marcus on April 16, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Rinse and repeat.

Favorite Prine.

Fallon on April 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I think the left trotted out a new entitlement on Saturday. I heard on a FOX panel, a lefty woman claim that what women needed was paid maternity leave. Until that happens working mothers will never be equal. In the early 60′s when I was first looking for a job, the local electric company would not hire married women because they knew they would be leaving to have children. To them it was a waste of money hiring and training an employee only to have them leave. The govt cannot impose anymore impediments to businesses or women like this pay while on maternity leave.

Kissmygrits on April 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Favorite Prine.

Fallon on April 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Yep, mine too, hard choice, but I went with the other for my “going to bed” tune…

lovingmyUSA on April 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM