Obama: OK, now immigration reform really is my top priority

posted at 7:46 pm on April 14, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Remember when Barack Obama said he was going to tackle immigration reform in his first year in office? At the time, he had majorities in both the House and the Senate. Now, though, he doesn’t — and, while he deeply cares about the issue and wants to do something to fix a broken system, he just can’t. That darn Congress — only half of which is Republican, mind you — won’t let him.

He says he’ll make it his top priority post-reelection, though — but no promises that he’ll accomplish anything. He’ll still have to deal with those obstructive Republicans!

“I can promise that I will try to do it in the first year of my second term,” Obama said in an interview with Univision set to air on Sunday. “I want to try this year. The challenge we’ve got on immigration reform is very simple. I’ve got a majority of Democrats who are prepared to vote for it, and I’ve got no Republicans who are prepared to vote for it. …

“So what we need is a change either of Congress or we need Republicans to change their mind, and I think this has to be an important debate during – throughout the country. …

“And so I’m just going to keep on pushing as hard as I can, and what I’m going to be encouraging is the Latino community continue to ask every member of Congress where they stand on these issues, but the one thing that I think everybody needs to understand is that this is something I care deeply about. It’s personal to me, and I will do everything that I can to try to get it done. But ultimately I’m going to need Congress to help me.”

Let me translate all of that for you: “I’m President Obama and I’m ineffective. I can’t do what I want to do. My hands are tied.”

Why — if the president really wants to accomplish immigration reform — would he predict gridlock before he even proposes his preferred immigration policy? That’s no way to inspire those who disagree with him to work with him. I thought it was a sign of leadership to be able to obtain buy-in and inspire consensus. In fact, I seem to remember that Obama once ran for president on his ability to do just that.

He thinks there’s no common ground on immigration? I’ll take that to mean he doesn’t want the law to be respected, he doesn’t want secure borders and he doesn’t want an efficient immigration system that makes it easier for immigrants eager to contribute to our economy to enter the country legally.

If that’s not true — and he does want those things — then what in the world leads him to believe he can’t come up with an immigration policy that would have bipartisan appeal?

Why is it that, when we talk about immigration reform, we always talk about it in terms of amnesty? What to do with immigrants who are already in the country illegally is not actually the crux of immigration policy. That’s a question of law enforcement. The crux of immigration policy comes down to these questions: Who do we want in our country and how do we make it easy for those people to enter our country legally? Who do we want out and how do we keep them out? Surely we can agree that we want hard-working, law-abiding people who are eager to contribute to society in — and we want criminals, terrorists and other antisocial individuals out. But when’s the last time we’ve even talked about immigration policy in those terms? That’s the conversation we need to have.

Comments

Manager to Employee: Look, you really haven’t done anything for the company in the past 3 years, except spend lots of money and actually hurt our bottom line. So don’t expect to work here in November.

Employee: Wait! You don’t want to do that. I have great plans for my contributions to the company after November!

Manager: Why didn’t you do that stuff the past 3 years?

Employee: Look out! Paul Ryan is pushing your grandmother off a cliff! *runs*

Nethicus on April 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM

You lie!

John the Libertarian on April 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I imagine that involves a voter registration card and ‘rat voter guide in every amnesty packet.

CPT. Charles on April 14, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Obowma seems to be wearing a darker shade of pancake #10 in this interview…

…. No?

Seven Percent Solution on April 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

doesn’t Obama think Mexico is part of Asia?

DHChron on April 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Barrack Obamma is a very arrogant man.

Towash on April 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Obama: “It’s personal to me

We know it is. Half your family is in this country illegally.

jaime on April 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Mentiroso!

thebrokenrattle on April 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Uh-huh. Sure it is. I’m also a 22 year old Texas “DD” TTU cheerleader named Ashley.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Cut! Print! Deliver to TV stations nationwide!

Rational Thought on April 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

We want people who are looking for freedom and opportunity and a chance to be Americans. We don’t want people who are looking for shelter and a safe place to hide while they stay citizens and loyalists to a foreign country or culture.
It’s really easy!

Lew on April 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Obama: “I promise my Secret Service will only solicit Mexican prostitutes…NO on Colombian prostitutes!”

DHChron on April 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Well, that whole “war on wimmen didn’t work out so well. Let’s try a DISTRACTION…”

Hmmm… Immigration, yep, immigration. That’s the ticket! New TOP priority…

(is this starting to smell funny to anyone else?)

marybel on April 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Say anything. Do what you want regardless of rules. Blame the other guy.

Grunt on April 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM

“No, this time I really mean it! Pinkie swear! Trust me! I’m known for keeping all of my campaign promises!” — Obambi

RoadRunner on April 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Focused like a laser.

Hard pivot.

First thing he thinks about in the morning and last thing at night.

a capella on April 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Say anything. Do what you want regardless of rules. Blame the other guy.

Grunt on April 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM

then thank Dr Pepper

DHChron on April 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I’m ready to talk immigration now because Mitt Romney could put a Hispanic- or Indian-American VP on his ticket.

Philly on April 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Barry will offer up one after another panders from his smorgasbord in the coming months.

galtani on April 14, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Hope and Change. Yes we Can. I am the One.

Paul-Cincy on April 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Is he talking about vanilla Latinos or White (racist) Latinos?

BL@KBIRD on April 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I like turtles.

Sacramento on April 14, 2012 at 8:11 PM

“Question for voters: Why would you vote for someone who repeatedly tells you he can’t do the job?”

Too bad this isn’t an election year…

Seven Percent Solution on April 14, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Obowma seems to be wearing a darker shade of pancake #10 in this interview…

…. No?

Seven Percent Solution on April 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

ROFLMAO!!!! 7%solution, you just continue to crack me up! Thanks!
My response: POS/liar/et al….. :)

sicoit on April 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Liar! liar! Creased pants on fire.

SouthernGent on April 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM

All you need to know about Obama and immigration is that when Senators McCain and Kennedy were working with Bush on it, Obama promised his support. Then big labor came out against and Obama back stabbed all 3 to cozy up to the labor unions. Regardless of what you thought of the plan at the time, Obama is full of it when it comes to immigration reform.

Zaggs on April 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Mom jeans guy makes me feel safe and secure….

Well, maybe not…..

TheGarbone on April 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Hmmm… Immigration, yep, immigration. That’s the ticket! New TOP priority…

(is this starting to smell funny to anyone else?)

marybel on April 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM

You missed my new Hot Air “Drinking Game” a week or so ago…

… Every time Obowma and the Democrats try a new ‘Distraction‘, fill your glasses.

If you can guess the next one, now or sometime in the future, feel free to fill two…

Seven Percent Solution on April 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM

….Obama is full of it when it comes to immigration reform.

Zaggs on April 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Ya think? :)He’s playing them like he does E.V.E.R.Y.B.O.D.Y. else….. *snort* The problem is….they believe him!

sicoit on April 14, 2012 at 8:19 PM

It is something near and dear to Barry’s heart, he wants to help his illegal alien uncle and aunt.

galtani on April 14, 2012 at 8:19 PM

sicoit on April 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Seven Percent Solution on April 14, 2012 at 8:20 PM

“Thank you…I will transmit this to Vladimir…”

Strike Hornet on April 14, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Exactly.. whatever. And why he says this, and his cronies take the war on women a step too far with the belittling of motherhood, O falls to 5 behind Romney in the Rasmussen tracker. Amazing, this early in the campaign. I hope it can only get better.
I’m surprised also that hotair hasn’t highlighted this 5 point gap. But when you do, stress that we can’t get overconfident ever. We must remain always the underdog against the O attack machine. And hotair, stress to everyone that we must give money, this will be the key.

anotherJoe on April 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM

tackle it? C’mon, I’ve only heard him say he was going to pivot toward something, never tackle….that’s a mixing of sports metaphors, eh?

ted c on April 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

But, do you clean?

cozmo on April 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Oh, I get it. He wants to ride Congress’ coattails into a second term. Genius!

EMD on April 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I have to wonder if Øbama can keep this political theater alive from now to November. It seems so obvious that it’s all theater, being clearly DOA in Congress. How long can he keep it alive?

petefrt on April 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Spot on, Tina! Excellent framing of the issue…and the admitted ineffectiveness of this President.

Only wish he was as ineffective at his and his czars’ “behind the scenes” power grab the past 3 years.

bntafraid on April 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Mr. pResident does that immigration reform include White-Hispanics?
Good lord,the SCOAMF gets more desperate each day.

jrgdds on April 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM

This man is getting more disgusting by the day. He really enjoys playing on the emotions of every individual, like a game of cat and mouse. November can not come soon enough. However, the Republican Party better not be pandering to the right wing nut cases. There are many of us that are conservative that do not by into extremism. And I would say that the Hispanic culture fits into this line of thought. Don’t Blow It Please.

DDay on April 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM

But the dirty little secret is…

… he already has.

“In its quest to implement stealth amnesty, the Obama Administration is working behind the scenes to halt the deportation of certain illegal immigrants by granting them “unlawful presence waivers.”

Seven Percent Solution on April 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM

What a shameless hack.

MFn G I M P on April 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM

He will be more flexible next year.
Count on it.

Kenosha Kid on April 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Don’t worry; he’ll just propose giving amnesty to 0.4% of illegal aliens and then prattle on and on about it without it ever having a chance of passing.

theperfecteconomist on April 14, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Panderer-in-Chief!

But — Blaming the Prince of Fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama. It is less likely to survive a vast multitude of fools such as those who made him our President and work feverishly still to keep him there.

FlatFoot on April 14, 2012 at 8:46 PM

On Page 1832 of the Affordable health care Act aka Obamacare:

The HHS secretary shall direct the Secretary of Homeland Security to direct the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and all other government agency related. To issue full citizenship to all persons within the US mainland and territories with no rite on where they are born. With this citizenship one can vote and gain all other government services as a naturally born person immediately. They can also sponsor up to 10 other family members in foreign lands to gain citizenship as directed. When this mandate is to be so ordered is at the sole discretion of the HHS and under full command of executive branch and the Congress has no more need to act or object after this law is enacted.

tjexcite on April 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM

You missed my new Hot Air “Drinking Game” a week or so ago…

Seven Percent Solution on April 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I’m fillin’ two because surely his next “top priority” will be “Energy Security” … no wait, make that “Fraud, Waste, and Abuse” … no wait, make that “Environmental Protection” …

Didn’t he just recently pivot back, for the umpteenth time, to “The Economy” being his top priority. What a pathetic mental case.

You can’t blame him for being the socio-psychopath that he obviously is; you have to blame his millions of enablers …

ShainS on April 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM

“Sorry I killed off 200 of your folks running guns into your country, I’ll now try and make it up to you next go around”…

F.F. Obama

hillsoftx on April 14, 2012 at 8:57 PM

By the way, where is this interview taking place? It looks like someone’s deer hunting cabin or something along that line.

DaveDief on April 14, 2012 at 8:58 PM

But…but….but that was THEN, this is NOW. Election season ya know. AND you can count on the majority of Hispanics to tow the line.

GarandFan on April 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM

On Page 1832 of the Affordable health care Act aka Obamacare:

tjexcite on April 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I have never seen that before. I am dumbfounded, but then again, maybe not. Thank you. I will be sending that tidbit to everyone I know.

FLconservative on April 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I got a BETTER idea .. Change the PRESIDENT !!!!

Cincy Conservative on April 14, 2012 at 9:08 PM

What a disgrace Obama is being such a partisan, divisive, pandering jerk. He really thinks he is playing games. I hope Latinos wise up to him and “punish” him at the polls in November.

OxyCon on April 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Old Barry needs to cut back on the MD 20/20.

Pork-Chop on April 14, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Guess we’re off that women thingy for awhile.

FerdtheMoonCat on April 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM

The man is such an experienced liar & promise braker who could trust him? I think even the minorities would be dumb to vote for him – he just plays them along.

Chessplayer on April 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Barry flinging bright, shiny objects to divert us from the Democrat war on women mommygate dustup.

Philly on April 14, 2012 at 9:55 PM

We don’t need immigration “reform” we need immigration law enforcement.

Period.

profitsbeard on April 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Milton Friedman had an interesting take on illegal immigration. He said that it is a good thing only so long as it is illegal, because illegal immigrants do not qualify for entitlement programs. Otherwise, unrestricted immigration like that of the 19th century would bankrupt our 21st century welfare state.

netster007x on April 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I am so happy we have a President with such an inability to lead, among other things.

“Well, there are some obstructionists so I’m not going to do anything.”

Yes, Barry. Presidents DO have to work hard and fight for their legislation to pass.

Not that I want any of his legislation passed, but this guy is lazy.

cantaffordcollege on April 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Don’t pay attention to the “white” latino I just threw under the bus. . .I really care about you! If I had a son, he would look like . . . . {How do you say that name on the teleprompter?}

countmein on April 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Obama to Dumbass Americas: Lookit…One time I pooped on a dead Mexican cat.

Dumbass Americans to Obama: Hooray!!! Lets re-elect it!!! I like pie!!!

We are doomed…better start excersising that trigger finger…

MooCowBang on April 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM

This is becoming a pattern. Obama gets some legislation going that he knows will never pass, that he knows the Republicans will shoot down. He just makes sure that they are issues that he will be able to make political hay with. Buffet rule, and now the immigration legislation. Once it gets dispatched, it’ll be endless “racist, nativist Republicans” talking points, to go with the “party of the rich Republicans.” If he gets enough of these in play, he might just succeed in distracting the electorate from the fact that he and his policies suck.

smellthecoffee on April 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM

The first white-black president is going to do what?

jukin3 on April 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Americans really can’t be this stupid, can they?

And when I say Americans, that includes all of the hyphentated-Americans as well.

This guy will say ANYTHING to stay in office. And it’s so flipping obvious, he is constantly pandering to whatever demographic he thinks will boost his approval ratings.

Jeez, this election scares the Hell out of me…

ccrosby on April 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I wonder how many Hispanics will be stupid enough to believe this crap.

ghostwriter on April 15, 2012 at 1:45 AM

What a turd this bird turned out to be!

KOOLAID2 on April 15, 2012 at 2:25 AM

“What I’m really for as a President is letting people enter the country illegally and treating them like slaves. It’s great, we don’t have to go get them, they come to us. And I’m really for Al Qaeda and Hezbullah getting into the country so they can prepare to attack us from within and I can have my crisis which to take your guns.”

TulsAmerican on April 15, 2012 at 6:14 AM

Barry bamstahhh !!! you d a man bammy baby y!!!!!!

galtani on April 14, 2012 at 8:03 PM

cableguy615 on April 15, 2012 at 9:11 AM

President Unreal has no real immigration plan, no real budget plan, no real foreign policy plan, no real energy plan. The only plan he had involved real pain and it’s working.

Kissmygrits on April 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Give a brother a break. Dude’s got a lot on his mind.

jan3 on April 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Best lie ever!!

Because it is the truth.

Obama can’t pass the kind of immigration reform he wants because the kind of immigration reform he wants is to open our borders, thereby vaporizing our sovereignty.

And he is going to do precisely that during in his second term. He just won’t do it by passing legislation through Congress. It won’t matter to him how unpopular it will be. He will do it under the radar as much as he can (with the help of the MSM), and to the degree people do realize what he is doing it won’t really matter since he won’t be running for election in the USA ever again. At least not in the USA as we know it.

And the damage will have been done.

So hispanics who do not care about the destruction of the country, and everyone who wants the destruction of the country, should all vote for Obama.

Everyone else, including hispanics who do not want the country destroyed, should vote to defeat him.

BTW, this is one of the many, many reasons the people who say Romney and Obama are Just The Same are stark raving mad.

fadetogray on April 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM

He’s going to keep pandering to his little corner-case fringe groups like the open borders crowd, militant homosexual ‘rights’ types, ardent class warriors, enviro-terrorists, and so on. His strategy seems to be, shore up the base quickly and then come out with some massive pile of contradictory lies for independents – and hope the rubes swallow it all.

He’s so inspiring and hopeychangey.

CorporatePiggy on April 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM

He’s going to deport his illegal alien aunt and uncle?

claudius on April 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Obama: “This time I mean it!”

RebeccaH on April 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM

This is a pander to the Latino “Community” to the Witch Burning by Obama and Holder over Trayvon case. The Media blundering and bungled handling of the George Zimmerman case (White Latino! LoL!) has made law abiding Latinos realize that this Administration is centered far more toward the Black Panthers than toward any other group, even to the point of excusing Felonies such as the solicitation of Kidnapping, conspiracy to solicit Kidnapping, crossing State line to solicit Kidnapping, Voter Intimidation. Nation of Islam, Black Panthers, and Rev. Wright are in ascendency and could probably commit Felony crimes on camera and be excused for it by Holder. Oh wait! THEY HAVE.

I don’t think it is going to work, the Latinos have seen the racism and hate of Obama toward Whites and they know that they are next.

We are all George Zimmerman now.

Bulletchaser on April 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Hmmm, Maybe I’ve misjudged this 0 fellow…………………..Nah!

Bmore on April 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM

What, he doesn’t want white people to ask about it? He doesn’t want BLACK people to ask about it? Just latinos?

Is there anything more blatantly racist going on in this campaign, on either side? Imagine if a white presidential candidate had said he only wants white people to think about any particular issue, and the reaction there would be from the MSM. Just imagine it.

runawayyyy on April 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM