Marco Rubio: I’m not going to be the vice president

posted at 6:16 pm on April 14, 2012 by Tina Korbe

In an interview with CNN today, Marco Rubio said in no uncertain terms that he’s not going to be the vice president.

Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, widely speculated to be a top pick for the Republican presidential running mate, once again firmly denied he would join the GOP ticket.

“I’m not going to be the vice president,” Rubio said Friday in an interview with CNN en Español’s Ismael Cala. “I’m not.”

We have two options. We can assume that Rubio meant to imply he wouldn’t join the 2012 GOP ticket under any circumstances — OR — we can parse his words. He didn’t say he wouldn’t join the 2012 GOP ticket, after all. He said he’s not going to be the vice president. Maybe that means he’s still open to run with Mitt Romney — but he doesn’t think they would win.

Please, for sanity’s sake, let’s go with the first one. Rubio’s a rational guy. He wouldn’t voluntarily join what he thinks will be a losing ticket. So, Rubio must be saying he won’t join the GOP ticket. That, though, might stem from the fact that he thinks Mitt Romney won’t win. As the conventional speculation goes, perhaps he has his eyes on 2016.

He said something else in the CNN interview, though, that was even more interesting than his repeated assertion that he won’t be vice president. He suggested that he thinks the idea that a politician can “deliver” the Hispanic vote is an overrated one.

“I’ll tell you, the Hispanic vote has to be earned,” he said. “You can’t just put somebody on there and say, ‘This is gonna deliver it.’ You’ve got to earn it, and primarily I think you earn it through economic policies.”

This is some of the most refreshing political wisdom I’ve read in some time. Voters aren’t necessarily looking for themselves in a presidential or vice presidential candidate; they’re looking for someone who can lead all Americans.

Republicans and Democrats alike fall into the trap of thinking that voters are reducible to a single characteristic — their gender, their race, their income. How long will it take pols to adopt the personalistic norm — to begin to see people not as a means to an end (i.e. a means to their own election) and instead as people, to whom the proper response is love in its fullest sense of wanting what is right and best?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Please, for sanity’s sake, let’s go with the first one.

No, no! Let’s go with the second! Then we can work ourselves into a frenzied tizzy like the GOP establishment did over Chris Christie.

FoxNews, WSJ, Weekly Standard, NRO, etc: “Mr. Christie, are you going to run for president in 2012?”

Christie: “No. I absolutely will not run for POTUS in 2012 under any circumstances.”

FoxNews, WSJ, Weekly Standard, NRO, etc: “It sounds like he’s leaving the door open!”

Stoic Patriot on April 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Finality. He’s delivered this sort of finality on the issue multiple times already. It’s just for some reason nobody believes him.

Those who aren’t certain who should be the running mate should go to C-SPAN, find yesterday’s NRA convention coverage, move 2 hours 15 minutes into the video, and then listen to 20 minutes of our next VP ripping apart the Obama administration. He even smashed Holder on Fast and Furious. Entirely too few people have been doing that.

Gingotts on April 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Or…it could be that Rubio with his throbbing-brain cerebral powers knows he’s going to picked and Romney’s going to lose anyway…

ddrintn on April 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM

What a bummer though. McDonnell it is.

ddrintn on April 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

It would have been great to have him on the ticket, but I have to terms with the fact he probably won’t. With that said, I look forward to hearing his keynote speech at the convention.

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Or…who was it? Natalie Portman? LOL

ddrintn on April 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I wonder how long it will take for the birther wackjobs to start showing up and saying that Rubio isn’t eligible for the presidency anyways.

theoddmanout on April 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Gingotts on April 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM

For those of us who aren’t going to go watch the video, do you want to just give us a name? :-)

SoRight on April 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I have said all along that Romney will not be picking a gimmick VP, such as a Hispanic to “bring in” the Hispanic vote. Such choices are transparent and offensive. Apparently, Rubio agrees with me. Romney will pick a serious, accomplished adult in whom the American people can place their trust as the person “one step away” from the presidency. This person may — or may not — fill an identity politics slot, but his/her seriousness and record of accomplishment will be why he/she is chosen.

Rational Thought on April 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

theoddmanout on April 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I don’t know. Has WorldNetDaily posted it on their site yet?

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Thanks, Dr Pepper, I love you, always have.

Rusty Allen on April 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM

theoddmanout on April 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Why wouldn’t he be?

philoquin on April 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Why doesn’t he just say, “I don’t want to be v.p. If asked I will decline. If nominated, I will refuse.”

Saying, “I’m not going to be the v.p.” could come across just the same as Hillary Clinton’s laugh when asked if she was going to run or Newt saying he was going to be the nominee. I’m not saying Rubio’s outright lying, but don’t be coy. Be straight forward about it.

If you don’t want it, say it. Otherwise, yes, the door is still open.

Logus on April 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

He has said exactly this several times, I can’t understand why some people believe he isn’t serious.

I believe he is dead serious. He doesn’t want to be VP and I don’t blame him. He needs some “seasoning” before he is ready for that role.

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Why wouldn’t he be?

philoquin on April 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM

His parents weren’t born in the United States, and there are some who claim that to be a nautral-born citizen, not only do you need to have been born here but so do your parents.

I’m not making that claim. All I know is that others have.

Stoic Patriot on April 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I agree that Rubio’s comments are refreshing, insightful and (as they pertain specifically to the Hispanic vote) probably true. But I don’t think it’s a universal truth by any means. Exit polls from 2008 proved that huge numbers of voters *were* motivated to vote for a candidate on the basis of his ethnicity.

(I’m referring of course to the way McCain dominated the old white guy vote.)

SoRight on April 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Gingotts on April 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Was Jindal there? Heh

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I really like Mr. Rubio and would like to see him President in the future. However the Constitution requires a natural born citizen for President and VP. While not defined in the Constitution, four Supreme Court decisions touched on the issue stating a natural born citizen is one born of two citizens. Unfortunately for Mr. Rubio, he was born in 1971 and his parents became US citizens in 1975.

The media for some reason will not touch this issue; could it be President Obama is the problem.

amr on April 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Was Jindal there? Heh

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Please?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM

If you don’t want it, say it. Otherwise, yes, the door is still open.

Logus on April 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

He is being straight forward about it. His No means No.

He shouldn’t have to engage in verbal gymnastics to communicate this, but the media is making him by still asking him the question.

What I’d like to see is HotAir do a poll asking about VP preference without Rubio as an option to see what people want.

Bluray on April 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Was Jindal there? Heh

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Yes he was.

Please pick him Romney.

Bluray on April 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Wait a second…

Rational Thought on April 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

How will you be able to tell? I take it that “gimmick” refers to that eminently unaccomplished Sarah Palin. So if Romney chooses Susana Martinez, how is Martinez more accomplished than Sarah Palin was in 2008?

ddrintn on April 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Was Jindal there? Heh

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Please?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Hopefully it wasn’t West.
West disqualified himself by sticking his oar into the Martin/Zimmerman fiasco+ he’s a freshman member of the house.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM

FINALLY. Politicians need to give voters a little more credit. They care about the issues.

scalleywag on April 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Yeah. West isn’t going to be chosen. He’s a hero, but he has no filter and we need to keep the campaign focused on Obama. We can’t afford to divert attention.

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM

theoddmanout on April 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Well, it didn’t take that long.

mythicknight on April 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM

amr on April 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Who had 21 minutes?

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM

this will be a close one…

either Jindal or Bill Pullman from Independence Day

DHChron on April 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM

No kidding, Rubio. Someone needs to tell him that there’s really no chance that he’ll be the VP nominee. This guy is hubris on parade. I’ve never had a good feeling about him, but that’s just me.

MustLoveBlogs on April 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM

The “intellectually challenged” believe that.

Thomas Jefferson’s mother was born in England.
Andrew Jackson’s parents were immigrants.
James Buchanan’s father was Irish.
Chester Arthur’s father was Irish.
Woodrow Wilson’s mother was Scottish.
Herbert Hoover’s mother was English.

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I like Jindal. He would be a good pick.

No to Rubio. I’m glad he agrees.

bazil9 on April 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM

ddrintn on April 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I never said Sarah Palin was not accomplished, but she would have been much more so if she had finished a full term as governor prior to being selected. Same goes for Martinez. Too green. Romney will not pick her.

Rational Thought on April 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM

MustLoveBlogs on April 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Your not alone.

Although, over Crist..I was happy to vote for him.

bazil9 on April 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Jindal won’t run either. He JUST started his second term in January. He has a few things he wants to finish.

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM

One of the best suggestions I have heard so far is Brian Sandoval of Nevada if he will take the job.

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Maybe he doesn’t want to give the Democrat Destruction Squad any more of a head start than they need?

The Mega Independent on April 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM

And frankly, Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) is NOT a bad choice either.

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I’m lobbying for Ann Romney as VP. First, she’s more qualified for the presidency than Obama was, and is, and, second, she’s a hard worker and knows how to face diversity and win e.g., cancer and MS. Third, she can articulate Mitt’s case to the people far better than he can.

Why not?

TXUS on April 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I say Vlad Putin…he’s a proven authority and pro-gun…or at least pro shoot your face off

DHChron on April 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Sandoval is pro-choice. Romney is going to choose a social conservative.

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM

DHChron on April 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM

How about Hatch? He can punch you in the mouth. ;)

bazil9 on April 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I have on good authority Vlad Putin can fake a Hawaii birth certificate

DHChron on April 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Well, bazil9, it’s a frustrating thing to have all of this Republican Party inner turmoil. Seems like this is on repeat cycle every four/eight years, and it shouldn’t be. I still wonder why we were not better prepared after the fiasco that was ’08 and the turmoil that has ensued.

MustLoveBlogs on April 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Gingotts on April 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Yup. Here’s some more Jindal-hammers-Obama:

Romney, please pick this guy!

itsnotaboutme on April 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Sandoval is pro-choice. Romney is going to choose a social conservative.

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I think Romney is going to want someone who is federalist on that issue no matter what their PERSONAL preference is.

I don’t think he is going to want someone who wants to use the federal government to enforce that issue nationally either way.

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Rational Thought on April 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I agree completely, I see Romney picking someone ready to step into the Presidency; Someone accomplished that inspires trust with America. Is it wrong of me to dream that my favorite politician on earth might feel well enough after his recent heart surgery to be considered…..Romney/Cheney 2012?

BettyRuth on April 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

haha bazil9 :-)

Hatch is all talk, I’ll kick him in the balls

DHChron on April 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

MustLoveBlogs on April 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I couldn’t agree with you more MLB.

bazil9 on April 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

He is young and has time to pull the trigger in a later cycle. His analysis of the latino vote is probably correct. VP is a place holder and Rubio can probably have more impact adding to his resume in the Senate or as a cabinet member.

lexhamfox on April 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I wonder if he’s considering Jeb Bush. I hope not, but I do wonder. He’s got the resume, he’s popular in a state Romney has to win, and he advances the moderate ticket.

Rational Thought on April 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM

DHChron on April 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I know..you would show him your kung foo. ;)

I don’t know enough about Portman. I must consult with Angrymike.

bazil9 on April 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Sure..another Bush..thats a winner/

I hope to hell not. I doubt it.

bazil9 on April 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

You can be personally pro-life without wanting to “use the federal government to enforce the issue.” Social conservatives don’t trust Romney as it is and he’s not going to take the risk of picking a Governor, who just reinforces the mistrust. He also has only been Governor for only a little more than a year, is socially moderate, and doesn’t have charisma. He doesn’t bring much to the ticket except that he’s from a potential swing state and he’s Hispanic (and like Rubio said, it’s going to take a lot more than just putting a Hispanic on the ticket to get their votes). I doubt Sandoval is even on the list, much list the short list.

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

list less the short list.

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

If you don’t want it, say it. Otherwise, yes, the door is still open.

Logus on April 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

You want him to say endorsing him is enough and he’d rather be dead that be on that ticket. Aren’t you?
So is the media.

katy the mean old lady on April 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Gingotts on April 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Or you can just click here:

itsnotaboutme on April 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM

DHC- dinner time…I caught you earlier on the chronicles.

Later.

bazil9 on April 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Jindal indeed did speak to the NRA yesterday. He absolutely eviscerated Obama. I always wondered if Jindal would be an effective attack dog, because he comes off as too nice. He proved that he’s up to the task. I hope Romney seriously considers him.

Anyone interested in watching Jindal’s speech, start at the 37 minute mark:

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I think Rmoney™ is about ready to be a good VP./

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM

And frankly, Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) is NOT a bad choice either.

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM

6789
tyiopp[
fghjkl;
bnm
Oh, sorry. Nodded off and hit the keyboard.
Yo were saying?

katy the mean old lady on April 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Does that mean he won’t run with Romney, or that he knows Romney is going to lose?

besser tot als rot on April 14, 2012 at 7:17 PM

What the hell is wrong with you? That’s going pretty far to stretch and incredibly stupid point.

MJBrutus on April 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Right, no one voted for Obama because he is Black.

If Obama looked like John Kerry he would have gotten 40% of the vote.

mockmook on April 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM

besser tot als rot on April 14, 2012 at 7:17

PM

You are such a tool. It means he knows he’s too inexperienced to be considered and you know it.

BettyRuth on April 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM

besser tot als rot on April 14, 2012 at 7:17 PM

He’s not going to run…he’s saving himself to be Jeb’s running mate in 2016.

ddrintn on April 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM

He’s not going to run…he’s saving himself to be Jeb’s running mate in 2016.

ddrintn on April 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Oh wait…is that even possible?? Anyway, if Jeb’s the nominee in 2016 you’ll know the GOP has officially passed into Whigdom.

ddrintn on April 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Exactly right. And it’s stupid.

The group that this works for consistently is blacks, where they vote 90% or more for democrats, and usually less than 10% for republicans.

The democrats are less successful selling their race hatred and class hatred to other minorities, but they are still somewhat successful. See here.

However, if you look at age, you can see that it is predominantly the young that are susceptible to the liberal propaganda. Mostly because of the indoctrination carried out in the public schools and universities.

For the most part, I don’t think that blacks will come around because they seem to be the group most invested in the race/class hate sold by the democrats. Conservatives would have to abandon Liberty for the more socialist virtue of Equality Of Outcome, and what would be the point? That’s the whole problem with the democrat party today.

But I think with a little more sincere and effective communication about Liberty, all of the other demographics could be improved; without the race/gender/age pandering that the current Republican party seems to want to use.

Of course the Republicans have to protect themselves from race/gender/age attacks, but they should probably do it by promoting liberty and effective governing techniques, not by counter-pandering.

jaime on April 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM

So is the media.

katy the mean old lady on April 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM

LOL…

ddrintn on April 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM

His ego will never let him be VP. He wants the entire Mole Poblano meal in 2016 or 2020.

CorporatePiggy on April 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Portman? Boring. I thought it might be McDonnell, but the master’s thesis will be a disaster at the national level, especially as it’s only from 1989. Looks like it’s Christie, Jindal or Ryan.

Rational Thought on April 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Um, as a general rule, don’t all these guys deny they will take the VP spot? That way if it is not offered to them they won’t seem like desperate idiots?

mitchellvii on April 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM

CorporatePiggy on April 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM

If he wants it, he’ll have to wrest it from Mitt’s Veep (Ryan? Daniels? Christie?) in 2020.

MJBrutus on April 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM

BettyRuth on April 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Uhhh. Which means you think he won’t run with Romney. At least in 2012. So, you agree with one of my options, but feel the need to hurl insults. You Romney lovers sure are in a sour mood for having gotten your way.

besser tot als rot on April 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Rational Thought on April 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Agreed. No way he chooses McDonnell because of the thesis and his initial stance on the ultrasound debate. Way too risky, but he’s one heck of a Governor, though.

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM

BTW, democratics had a gender gap in the 2010 mid-term elections:

___________Democrat___Republican

Men________41%________55%_______

women______48%________49%_______

Republicans won a majority of both men and women in 2010.

jaime on April 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM

ddrintn on April 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Millard and Willard?

besser tot als rot on April 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM

he’s got a skeleton. and he knows this one’s too important to screw up. he succeeds potus romney in ’20.

t8stlikchkn on April 14, 2012 at 7:33 PM

You Romney lovers sure are in a sour mood for having gotten your way.

besser tot als rot on April 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM

They’ve been in a Sour mood since at least ’08, by and large. Strangely, Romney basically winning the nomination seems to have made them worse, not better. Is there such a thing as a bitter winner?

Buckshot Bill on April 14, 2012 at 7:33 PM

MJBrutus on April 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Of those, id take Daniels. He was my original choice for POTUS. But I’d prefer someone I know is committed to small government, like Rand Paul. Christie? I’d vote third party almost for sure.

besser tot als rot on April 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Republicans The TEA Party won a majority of both men and women in 2010.

jaime on April 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Republicans haven’t won anything of note since 2004.

Buckshot Bill on April 14, 2012 at 7:35 PM

The VP candidate IS going to be boring. It probably isn’t going to be anyone the average person has ever heard of before.

It probably isn’t going to be a “celebrity” politician. Frankly, boring is better for VP. You don’t want a celebrity politician as VP who might be tempted to inject himself into the news cycle from time to time. Over history, when a vice president has attempted to do that, they screw up.

For example, Coolidge was a great President but had one of the worst vice Presidents in history.

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM

The “intellectually challenged” believe that.

Thomas Jefferson’s mother was born in England.
Andrew Jackson’s parents were immigrants.
James Buchanan’s father was Irish.
Chester Arthur’s father was Irish.
Woodrow Wilson’s mother was Scottish.
Herbert Hoover’s mother was English.

As a historical aside, the appropriate section of the Constitution used to read that one either had to be a “natural born citizen” or to have been citizen at the time of the adoption of the Constitution. The second part was put in mainly to allow Alexander Hamilton, who was born in the Virgin Islands, to be president. That particular codicil became inoperative due to the passage of time.

The meaning of “natural born citizen” has always been taken to mean citizen by virtue of birth, not by naturalization.

FuzzyLogic on April 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM

You Romney lovers sure are in a sour mood for having gotten your way.

besser tot als rot on April 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Buckshot Bill on April 14, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Oh bullsh!t. The ONLY nasty comments I have seen on this site today have come from a small handful of Anyone But Romney folks. Quit whining — and quit projecting your bitterness on to others. Bathe in it. Live it. Let it keep you warm at night. But for God’s sake, own it. The bitterness is yours, and yours alone.

Rational Thought on April 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I’m starting to think Marco Rubio is not going to be Romney’s running mate.

jan3 on April 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I’m hoping he is the next governor of Florida.

katy the mean old lady on April 14, 2012 at 7:40 PM

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I hear you. However, Christie may be able to put NJ in play in earnest. If he could deliver it, it would be game over. He also has appeal nationally and would be a good fit in terms of governing philosophy for Mitt. It would be a gutsy call, but could pay off big.

I forgot mention Jindal above, who would also be a very good running mate as would Ryan or Daniels.

MJBrutus on April 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Yeah, can you imagine what might happen if a VP candidate acted as the attack-dog for a Presidential campaign?/

Buckshot Bill on April 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Rational Thought on April 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Your entire post is one whiny, bitter tirade.

besser tot als rot on April 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM

MJBrutus on April 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Jindal FTW

GOPRanknFile on April 14, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Rational Thought on April 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Well, at least we can count on you not to leave “nasty” comments. :)

Buckshot Bill on April 14, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I say Jesse Stone…he has a cool dog and he’s played by Magnum P.I.

DHChron on April 14, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I wish that to be true, but how do you explain that 95% of Blacks voted for Obama? Coincidence?

RRFCL on April 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Looking at their executive records thus far, Romney appears to be more like Coolidges VP (Hoover) than like Coolidge. Hopefully he can Etch-A-Sketch that away, though, if he makes it to the White House. Expecting it or counting on it, however, is pure wishcasting.

besser tot als rot on April 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Rational Thought on April 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I like McDonnell, a lot. But he allowed his GOP legislature to consider that fricking invasive sonogram procedure before an abortion. Abortion is horrible, but requiring that procedure is beyond the pale. I realize that it somehow got snuffed out, but from here in the Midwest I think that made McDonnell look awful. Romney has enough trouble with women–and we recently got a gift on that score. Picking McDonnell would be taking several steps back.

I like the idea of Jindal.

As for Portman, stop dumping on him. He’s damned effective. Son of a small-business owner. Sure, private schools all the way, but his dad had him and his siblings sweeping floors in the business. I’d hate to lose him as one of our senators, because he’s a significant upgrade from his POS predecessor Voinovich. That said, I think Portman would appeal to a lot of educated suburbanites who are over their white guilt and who are looking for competence in an administration.

BuckeyeSam on April 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM

95% of blacks like Planned Parenthood, a foundation designed to eliminate their existence. It just means blacks are brainwashed…hey, it’s not me saying that!

DHChron on April 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM

theoddmanout on April 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

The word your looking for is Constitutionalists. Don’t you care about the Constitution?

Dante on April 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM

besser tot als rot on April 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Blah, blah, blah. Just tell us he’s worse than Hitler and get it over with.

MJBrutus on April 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I’m not making that claim. All I know is that others have.

Stoic Patriot on April 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

To be natural born, the only requirement is that the parents be citizens at the time of the child’s birth. Place of birth doesn’t matter, not for the parents nor for the child.

Dante on April 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Thomas Jefferson’s mother was born in England.
Andrew Jackson’s parents were immigrants.
James Buchanan’s father was Irish.
Chester Arthur’s father was Irish.
Woodrow Wilson’s mother was Scottish.
Herbert Hoover’s mother was English.

crosspatch on April 14, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Jefferson? Really?

Have you not read the Constitution?

Dante on April 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I swear…who are the idiots who can’t stop using that dumb etch a sketch remark? oh yeah…besser tot als rot

DHChron on April 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM