Romney campaign aims at raising $600 million

posted at 11:01 am on April 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Now that Mitt Romney has the nomination all but assured, he and his team can now start looking forward to raising money for the general election.  With Barack Obama eschewing public financing again, Romney wants to raise a boatload of cash to compete with Obama’s arguably disappointing fundraising in this cycle — and he wants to take a page from Obama’s playbook to do it:

Aides and leading donors to Mitt Romney are preparing a major expansion of the campaign’s fund-raising efforts to prepare for a general election contest against President Obama, with the goal of raising up to $600 million, according to several people involved in the discussions. …

Those efforts will be aided by a new joint fund-raising agreement with the Republican National Committee that allows Mr. Romney to command far larger checks than he has during the primaries, when his campaign was limited to increments of $2,500 or less. Under the agreement, guests at major Romney events will be able to write checks as large as $75,000 to a “Romney Victory” committee.

About half of that sum would go Mr. Romney’s campaign or the Republican committee, mimicking the arrangement under which Mr. Obama, as an incumbent, has been raising money since last spring for his campaign and the Democratic National Committee. The remainder will be split among Republican state parties in Massachusetts, Idaho, Oklahoma and Vermont — where party leaders are deemed loyal to Mr. Romney — and later re-allocated to the most critical battleground states.

“It’s going to ramp up dramatically,” said Woody Johnson, owner of the New York Jets and one of Mr. Romney’s national finance co-chairmen. “The response I’ve been getting, of people willing to max out on the victory side, has been very very good, very enthusiastic.”

The Times asserts that Obama will raise more money than his 2008 haul of $750 million, based on sources within the campaign, but that seems very optimistic.  Obama’s fundraising so far trails the pace set by George W. Bush in 2004 in nominal dollar value, let alone constant dollars.  Bush took public financing in the general election, ending his fundraising in August 2004, but until then had only raised $260.6 million.  For that matter, Obama is off of his own 2008 pace in this cycle, despite attending three times the number of fundraisers that Bush had to this stage in 2004.  A goal of $600 million might be too high for Obama at this point.

For Romney, the relatively early end of the primary process allows him to focus more on fundraising for the general election.  The strategy of combining forces with the party’s central committee isn’t new, but it’s been put to good use by Obama in this cycle.  The question will be whether the RNC can jump in immediately, with two other nominal candidates refusing to exit the race, or whether it needs to stay on the sidelines.  Somehow I think the attraction of the fundraising possibilities for the party will outweigh the momentary and limited criticism the GOP might receive for appearing to favor the man who will win the nomination outright shortly anyway.

Republicans have assumed that the nominee would face an overwhelming financial disadvantage in the general election, but this suggests that the two campaigns will be near fiscal parity, or at least close enough to where the funding difference will be irrelevant to the election.  Throw in the super-PACs and the big donors that lined up for the Republican candidates in the primaries, and this may look pretty good for the GOP after all.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m no Romneycare fan, but it’s not socialism, unless you believe that the Heritage Foundation and Newt also espouse socialism?

socialism is socialism no matter who espouses it.

Romney has been very effective in defining Obama and articulating his vision for the country. That’s what appeals to independent voters, not name-calling.

GOPRanknFile on April 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM

If you say so. I haven’t seen Mitt be able to seperate his policies from Obama’s in any meaningful way just shades of gray.

unseen on April 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I’m pretty sure that jailbreak (or whomever) only speaks for himself. Mitt needs the money, and we need to beat Obama.

ghostwriter on April 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I think you are right about that. Unfortunately, there 2-3 snobs here who are actually hurting Mitt’s candidacy, and it’s very hard for me to forget about their personal insults. I never saw such snobbery from any of the other candidates’ supporters even with all the fighting we’ve done on this blog. The only snobs have been the Romney guys. Georgette Mosbacher was another one. She said the big donors have it covered. I found that disturbing, because if there’s one thing I can’t tolerate, it’s snobbery. It enrages me. You are not responsible for that of course, but it would help Mitt if you could somehow get those guys to STFU.

Ms Rosen has done a lot to firm up support for Mitt, so thats good. It’s critical that we beat Obama.

juliesa on April 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

unseen on April 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Where have you been the last 24 hours??..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

juliesa on April 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

true … you can’t BUY stuff like this ….

conservative tarheel on April 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

You wouldn’t give money to a candidate because of one person’s opinion?

milcus on April 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

It’s three people actually, and, to be clear, I said “for now”. I will probably get over my pouting stage before too long. It will happen sooner if the bigoted snobs keep their cakeholes shut. Thanks for being polite. I appreciate that.

juliesa on April 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Thanks for your two cents! I didn’t see your comment earlier while I was having some browser-fail. I think you may be right about him being a moby.

juliesa on April 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

juliesa on April 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I settled on Romney fairly early in the primary process. However, I found a number of the pro-Romney people to be quite objectionable and even obnoxious. In fact, I strongly suspect that some of them are liberal trolls, judging from their approach to issues (not that I’m naming names–I don’t care enough about them to keep track of what they say and do). For what it’s worth, I share your contempt for some of these so-called Rommeybots…

ghostwriter on April 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

juliesa on April 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

There will always be obnoxious people. You can’t allow them to influence you. And anyway you are wrong to say to that the “snobbery” only comes from Romney supporters. It comes from supporters of all candidates. My guess is that the Paul supporters are the worse.

On the other hand, as a Romney supporter, I have tried to reason with bluegill to get her to tone down her rhetoric. I failed.

thuja on April 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM

true … you can’t BUY stuff like this ….

conservative tarheel on April 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

but you can fundraise on it :-)….

jimver on April 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Indeed. Like I said, I just don’t see Romneycare being an issue whether Obamacare is deemed unconstitutional or not. Obama just doesn’t gain anything politically.

GOPRanknFile on April 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Yes, because unlike every GOP nominee before Romney, the Dems, abetted by the MSM, cannot assert that the GOP nominee “doesn’t care about health care for the uninsured.”

Romneycare takes that Dem advantage right off the table.

matthew8787 on April 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about political fundraising is that the loudest activists are the ones that give the least.

These people making these big threats about how they aren’t going to give money to Romney because he’s really a closet socialist would have probably thrown in $25 in had Santorum won the nomination.

BradTank on April 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM

All this discussion of what Romney SAYS, does not discount what he DID in office- in a similarly liberal environment as is DC.

michaelo on April 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Already sent my check for $250 in two days ago.

ABO folks.

This is the most important election of our lifetimes. It is pretty much like the 1864 election. If we want to have a country similar to the one we grew up in- now is the time to fight.

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I’m $750 in so far with more to come plus volunteer time.

ABO all the way

SauerKraut537 on April 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I’ve already gotten a call from Romney’s campaign asking me to donate $200. It was the best laugh I had that day. Methinks Romney and the GOP elite can afford to pay for the presidency themselves.

KickandSwimMom on April 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Rmoney™ looking for $, might want to put some effort into asking us small donors.

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

seriously, you can’t make up the garbage you guys spew! One ABR complains that only the rich ones should be supporting our candidate, and two minutes later another ABR says they won’t support unless Romney asks small donors!

which is it?!!

this has pretty much been your playbook all along for the lib trolls- no matter WHAT his campaign does, you will always be around to whine and complain like little children…

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

A goal of $600 million might be too high for Obama at this point.

Wait, what?

Thought we had Billion-Dollar-Bammie this cycle?

What happened?

Tim_CA on April 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Dude, you don’t like it, lump it. I supported Romney in ’08. This primary he has basically conducted his campaign like Sherman’s march on the south. He’ll be lucky to get my vote, but he can forget my money.

KickandSwimMom on April 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

KickandSwimMom on April 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

..yeah, but not all of the ABRs feel that way and it’s good they’re asking because, if you don’t ask, the answer will always be “no”.

The War Planner on April 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

It continues to look better for Romney. Rasmussen just released a poll, showing him not only leading Obama nationally by 4, but also edging out Obama in North Carolina.

GOPRanknFile on April 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

..This primary he has basically conducted his campaign like Sherman’s march on the south. He’ll be lucky to get my vote, but he can forget my money.

KickandSwimMom on April 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

..as I remember, Sherman pretty much won that fight. This isn;t bean bags, lady, it’s serious biz. Otherwise, hope you like the SCOTUS after The Pantload gets done stacking in with a few of his cronies.

The War Planner on April 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM

The War Planner on April 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM

The most important thing to win in this election is the House and Senate. They can do a good job keeping any president in check–even with SCOTUS appointments.

KickandSwimMom on April 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM

GOPRanknFile on April 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM

this is really good news….the libtards all but indicated that Virginia and NC as sure wins for 0…not so fast..

jimver on April 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Already sent my check for $250 in two days ago.

ABO folks.

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I’m too broke to give any candidate my money right now. My vote is all any of them will get.

Bitter Clinger on April 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM

jimver on April 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Yup. Speaking of VA, the latest Roanoke College poll (which accurately predicted the margin of McDonnell’s victory over Deeds), has Romney up 5 in VA.

Also, this isn’t going to help the Dems’ prospects of holding NC in November:

GOPRanknFile on April 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM

The Obama campaign just announced they will be taking EBT card donations for the campaign. As his spokesman explained, there are more people on EBT than are working so why not take advantage.

Smedley on April 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Already sent my check for $250 in two days ago.

ABO folks.

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM

set my account for automatic donations to his campaign…I live in Cali and I am under no illusions that we can help him here other than with fundraising and donating to his campaign…he’ll get a lot of money from here, that’s for sure, big and small donors alike…

jimver on April 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Thought we had Billion-Dollar-Bammie this cycle?

What happened?

Tim_CA on April 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

ah, the hybris (which has become synonymous with Barry) lead them to overestimate, err…by much :-)…

jimver on April 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

seriously, you can’t make up the garbage you guys spew!

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

..I understand your frustration but you might want to ease off the gas pedal a bit. Read a few threads and size people up a little more carefully. Bmore is a really good guy (a lot of HG’ers are) and certainly not worth the grief you were directing at him.

The War Planner on April 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Bitter Clinger on April 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM

..and gratefully received; it’s enough.

The War Planner on April 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM

preallocated on April 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM

This is the attitude most people should have. Which is why I dont get conservatives who sit here and say they wont vote or support Romney. The alternative is literally so much worse that it is not an option.

I get most people cant max out and donate 2500, but the future of the country is on the line here, and this country literally cannot afford another 4 years of this national nightmare.

milcus on April 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

THIS!!!!

lovingmyUSA on April 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM

What an embarrassment to conservatives. Thanks, GOP – again – ya losers.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus-the SORE loser on April 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

There, fixed it for ya!

lovingmyUSA on April 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

which is it?!!

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

You’re funny! So by your wording, Rmoney™ should not ask for donations from smaller contributers. Good luck with that. ; ) As for me I don’t go lock step with anyone. Still funny though!

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 3:21 PM

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

In case you don’t get why your comment is funny. Let me clue you in. I’m as far from a lib as you’ll find on HA.
I’m a bit older than a child. I like to think I still have a child like sense of humor. So it was good to see that you do too.

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 3:21 PM

The War Planner on April 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

You’ve got to admit War Planner that was pretty funny, if you know me at all. ; )

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I stuck around a bit hoping you might still be on thread, apparently you’re not. I think the thing that may have set you off is my use of this. Rmoney™. If that is in fact the case let me explain. I copyrighted it so that the libs couldn’t. Savy? Now it is protected. It can’t be used with out my consent. Its just one more ave for me to take their money. If you knew me or had bothered to look me up before you posted you may have realized that. So my advice to you is take the time to see who you are dealing with before lobbing stuff over their bow. No foul, no harm, just try to improve. Okay? You probably will never bother to come back and read this either. ; ) Bye.

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 3:44 PM

BradTank on April 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM

not this one … course I would have given Rick S one red cent either ..
I sent Perry my 25 bucks … :D

conservative tarheel on April 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM

not this one … course I would have given Rick S one red cent either ..
I sent Perry my 25 bucks … :D

conservative tarheel on April 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM

that should read … would NOT have given Rick S …..

conservative tarheel on April 13, 2012 at 3:53 PM

My point is that most of the so called “conservatives” on here are posers and trolls/mobys who are simply trying to stir dissension and defeat amongst the GOP.

For them, there is only one comment- whatever Romney does is wrong. Whatever Romney does not do is wrong. Romney will never win, Romney will not get their votes or their money.

It gets a little frustrating coming to a supposedly “conservative” site and having to wade through trolls all the time…

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM

A goal of $600 million might be too high for Obama at this point.

Wait, what?

Thought we had Billion-Dollar-Bammie this cycle?

What happened?

Tim_CA on April 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

He’ll get to a billion. The only question is how much illegality they will try and get away with to do so.

slickwillie2001 on April 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I hate Romney as much as anyone but he will definitely be getting a few thousand from me. Regardless of how I felt about Romney in the past, he is far better than the anti-American commie we have now. I’ve bashed Mittens as much as anyone, but I’m not going to accept 4 more years of Obama. I simply cannot handle it.

preallocated on April 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I agree 100%. I was for Palin, then Newt, never Santorum or
Romney. However, if Romney is the nominee I will suck it up
and support him 100% against Obama. Then I will pray for the
best to happen. Newt and Paul need to get out of the way.

Then we need to concentrate on the house, senate and gov races.

Let’s give the whacko liberals and Obama’s regime a good, old
fashioned a$$ kicking!

Amjean on April 13, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Between $600 million for Mitt (hopefully they’re better at setting realistic goals about their numbers than the Bamster is; always better for a campaign to exceed expectations than to come up short of them), plus whatever Rove’s got lined up, plus the Death Star (which Foster Friess and ideally Sheldon Adelson will start feeding before much longer) I have to say I like the odds of us getting our message out in the fall.

alchemist19 on April 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I agree 100%. I was for Palin, then Newt, never Santorum or
Romney. However, if Romney is the nominee I will suck it up
and support him 100% against Obama. Then I will pray for the
best to happen. Newt and Paul need to get out of the way.

Then we need to concentrate on the house, senate and gov races.

I was Sarah … Perry … Newt …. but we are on the same path …
we have a Gov. to get rid of … Bev …. a house and senate to strengthen …
a proposed amendment to approve … (marriage is between one man and one woman) …
but yeah … ABO ….

conservative tarheel on April 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Thank goodness! McCain trusting Obama on the public financing thing was the first huge mistake in his campaign. It’s just plain stupid to keep playing by rules the opposition ignores.

Besides, the public coffers are empty.

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I hear ya brother. Most of the trolls here at HA are gone. I’m proud to say I helped rid the place of a few of them myself. The few that are remaining if you would like, I can give you their names. The closer we get to November the more that will be coming out of the wood work. Their are to be sure many lying in the weeds in wait. But please don’t mistake me for a troll. I cast my first vote as a Conservative for Reagan, 1979 I guess it was. Though I am no fan of Rmoney™, I can assure you should he ultimately become the R party nom, he will have my vote, even if he won’t ask for it. PS, I’m what the trolls call a Tea Bagger.

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Frankly I don’t know how you can say you’ve been wading through trolls at HA. Funny though!

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I forgot to add. I owe very little allegiance to the R party anymore. I’m a Conservative first and foremost.

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

you and me both …..

will wait a couple of months … want to see how we look for the house and senate … Nancy P is making noises about retaking the house …..

conservative tarheel on April 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Anyone remember how Obama hoodwinked McCain in the public financing thing last election? I seem to remember Obama saying something like “I go the public financing route if you do it first”. This limits the total amount of money a candidate can raise. So McCain went for public financing and then Obama was all “I’ve changed my mind, John, I think I’ll pass on the public financing thing”.

crosspatch on April 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

You and the other so-called “true conservative” RINOs ought to just form your own party and quit messing up mine.

crosspatch on April 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

crosspatch on April 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Might well happen. My hope is to realign the R party so as not to give the Dims an advantage. But thanks for the advice. Worth exactly what I paid you for it party man/women.

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM

“true conservative”

crosspatch, since you guys came up with that phrase maybe you should copyright it, for party and all.

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I am no troll. I’ve been posting on HotAir since 2008. I suggest you ask a few questions if your concerned about something someone posts rather than assume you know who and what they stand for.

KickandSwimMom on April 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Then may I suggest you stfu, leave, and find a site more to your liking(thus taking your whiney, superior, smug little attitude and pretty little sundress with you)?

Try Cartoon Network…..nothing too complicated there.

Tim_CA on April 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

KickandSwimMom on April 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Its funny how the assumptions are made. Down here we say, “Lazy like water.” ; )

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Tim_CA on April 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

LOL! ; )

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Maybe it wont count anyway–how we vote..
This company will count our votes and have NO paper trail…and wonder of wonders, the CEO is an Obama sponser…

lovingmyUSA on April 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM

KickandSwimMom on April 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM

And yet you think those candidates he defeated would have survived Axle’s Storm Front???? If they couldnt survive even the fire from a Republican…how did you expect them to survive what the Chicago machine would throw at them…

lovingmyUSA on April 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Considering the $$$ that Romney could raise for the general election between now and the Convention (about four months), Santorum did Romney and the entire party a huge favor by dropping out last week. Gingrich and Ron Paul don’t have a prayer at the nomination, so it would probably be a great idea for the RNC to pool its resources with Romney, while holding some money back for crucial Senate races where incumbents are vulnerable (MA and NV for Republicans, FL, MO, MT, NE, ND, OH, VA, and WI for Democrats.

For all of those Hotairians who supported other candidates in the primaries (including myself) it’s time to get behind Romney–he would make a MUCH better President than the one we have now.

Steve Z on April 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

At least Romney appears to have a realistic grasp of the situation. Unlike McCain, who accepted public financing, was double-crossed and outspent by five-to-one, and went down to defeat while still feeling pretty good about his moral superiority. I’m still annoyed that I supported him. His whole campaign was just a vanity run.

My hope is that the Romneybots are floating the $600MM number with an expectation of surpassing it. Bwahahaha. Nothing would be more satisfying than seeing Obumble hoist on his own moneybomb petard.

HTL on April 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM

This is a little premature, isn’t it? First he’s got to win the GOP nomination.

joe_doufu on April 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM

AirForceCane on April 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Try Cartoon Network…..nothing too complicated there.

Tim_CA on April 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

You’re funny. Your inability to manage the quote and preview functions makes you a regular laugh riot. Your suggestion that anyone “stfu”, however, is pretty arrogant and annoying. My recommendation to AirForceCane is that he ignore your “helpful” advice and stick around to offer his opinions. At least I can easily tell he’s not a “concern troll”, and I appreciate his perception that at least some of the people offering “helpful” advice may not actually be all that “helpful”.

HTL on April 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Today’s Rasmussen Poll: ROMNEY 48% OBAMA 44%
Uh oh……. add to Fox Poll ROMNEY 46% OBAMA 44%
Double Uh oh……

BabysCatz on April 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM

“Nancy P is making noises about retaking the house …..”

Yeah, I remember her making a lot of noise about keeping it in 2010 too. She’s just as full of it now as she was then.

Texastoast on April 14, 2012 at 12:47 AM

HTL on April 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM

LMFAO…guess you were unintentionally butthurt somehow little sensitive one.

BTW sparky…..send me an invite to the wedding.

Hilarious.

Tim_CA on April 14, 2012 at 2:50 AM

LMFAO…guess you were unintentionally butthurt somehow little sensitive one.

BTW sparky…..send me an invite to the wedding.

Hilarious.

Tim_CA on April 14, 2012 at 2:50 AM

wow, very mature comment…HTL is 100% right about you…

jimver on April 14, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich

Dollayo on April 14, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich

Dollayo on April 14, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Hmmm, let me see. Party man or………

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 6:18 AM

HTL on April 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Was that intended as helpful advice.

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Oh, just so I don’t get picked on for bad formatting and grammar.

.=?

Or would that be bad punctuation? Funny folk here at HA!

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 6:21 AM

wow, very mature comment…HTL is 100% right about you…

jimver on April 14, 2012 at 3:24 AM

lol…..Darn it jim….and I was so trying to impress you!

Tim_CA on April 14, 2012 at 11:00 AM