Quotes of the day

posted at 10:31 pm on April 13, 2012 by Allahpundit

“The flap over Hillary Rosen’s comments disparaging stay-at-home-moms like Ann Romney has gotten a lot of play. I’ve been on the record (okay, on Twitter) mocking the feigned Republican outrage. Something about it just didn’t sit well with me.

“This, of course, puts me at odds with the Republican ‘team’ who sees this as a huge win (it is) for their side. It may be smart politics, but it’s still damned depressing. It took me a while to figure out my visceral disgust at this issue. It turns out, there are a lot of things to hate…

“If you’re on the Republican team, the thing to do is to jump on this and blow it out of proportion (a week ago, of course, the thing to do was to downplay Limbaugh’s comments.) I’m not on a team. So I think I’m a bit more consistent in saying that both ‘wars’ were bogus…

“Phoniness is, perhaps, the least admirable quality one can possess. But we’ve seen a lot of phoniness of late. This is silly season, after all. There is no Republican war on women. There is no Democratic war on moms. The truth is that the people pulling the strings who seem angered by this are actually feigning outrage. And the people who are truly outraged are being manipulated by them. It’s truly sad.”

***

“If this first week of the general election has taught us anything, this is going to be a long next six months. It started with the Obama White House and campaign hammering away at the ‘Buffett Rule,’ which was more of an effort to embarrass Mitt Romney (and his low effective tax rate) than a realistic policy proposal. And then on Wednesday and Thursday, the Romney campaign seized on comments by Hilary Rosen, a Democratic strategist with thin ties to the White House, who said that Ann Romney has never worked a day in her life. It was a manufactured controversy — fueled by Twitter and social media — because no serious political actor in this presidential contest is criticizing stay-at-home moms or the value of the work they do. In fact, Rosen was referring to the Romneys’ wealth, not Ann Romney’s decision to raise her five sons at home. While the two major parties are fundamentally divided (over taxes, entitlements, the role of government, and national security) and while so much is at stake (control of Washington, potentially two Supreme Court justices), we find ourselves smack-dab in the silly season…

“The fact is, these next few months before the conventions are probably going to be filled with these manufactured ‘shiny metal object’ controversies because of what we noted — just how professionalized both political parties are at creating them. And some in the media are easily susceptible to helping these manufactured controversies go viral because they are seen as simply ‘more interesting’ than the serious ‘eat your vegetables’-like issues that divide the two parties.”

***

“The first problem is outrage magnification. Let’s say that you believe that Rosen’s comments that stay-at-home-of-five Ann Romney had ‘never worked a day in her life,’ even construed the way she intended to construe them, violated a sensible boundary that exists in the real world. When boundaries are violated, we tend to want to see the violator punished, or reproached. Fair enough. Fairer still is the deep stakes that liberals and conservatives have in the debate about women, gender roles and the economy. Here’s the thing: without the help of the conservative universe, no one would have noticed. There would be no controversy. There would be nothing.

“But Mitt Romney, by his own admission, needs women to like him. And therefore, he needs to find ways to prove that he’s on the side of women. And his campaign, along with the Republican National Committee and the conservative tribe, has been looking for a way to force Democrats to defend their own views of women in a way that shifts the spotlight from Romney’s record to something else. To turn Rosen’s remarks into something graver, the level of outrage had to be magnified, artificially. The story can’t be ‘Democratic consultant says something dumb on CNN.’ It has to be ‘Democratic consultant says something so outrageous, something so harmful, that we sober politicians are going to spend our entire today DEMANDING punishment, and justice, for you, Jane Q. Citizen.’ To get from nothing to everything requires the manufacturing of outrage, which is very easily magnified by the tribal instincts of activists, which, in turn, is easily broadcast by social media…

“There are skillful psychological manipulators on both sides of America’s two islands, and elections often degenerate into cycles upon cycles of outrage signification. This is perhaps fortunate, in that it keeps parity in the system. It is unfortunate because it is an artificial construct designed to bring out the worst in people.”

***

“When few competing stories exist and political reporters are starved for material, any whiff of scandal or controversy can create a feeding frenzy. A bored media is dangerous for politicians.

“In this case, the Rosen controversy, like the ‘Etch-a-Sketch’ flap, is unlikely to have a significant effect on the outcome of the campaign. It was a wasted day for those who produce and consume political news and will probably have few real-world consequences…

“Journalists need to start taking accuracy concerns on Twitter more seriously before the next Rosen-style frenzy claims someone else’s reputation.”

***

1. It’s a victim mentality. No, it’s a firmly held reaction to Hilary Rosen’s demeaning comments which were part of a long history of attempts to marginalize conservative women. Defending against the Obama campaign’s phony ‘war on women’ campaign theme, implemented through liberal communications operatives like Rosen, is not playing the victim. It’s standing up for what is right and just, and if we do not stand up for Ann Romney, then we don’t stand up for ourselves. Have we learned absolutely nothing from the vicious attacks on Sarah Palin, in which many Republicans acquiesced? No more…

“Rosen touched a nerve for a reason grounded in history. A history we don’t want to see repeated daily through November 6.”

***

“It’s fascinating to me how the calls for censorship of Rush lasted only so long as the elite realized that such demands that women be spoken well of were going to hurt them far more than conservatives (see, for example, Obama megadonor Bill Maher worrying about fallout and comedian Louis C.K. having to cancel his appearance at the D.C. radio and television correspondents dinner).

“And while it was fine to subject women such as myself to months of unrelenting media coverage ignoring our First Amendment concerns and rewriting those concerns as a ‘war on women,’ now when the shoe is on the other foot, we decide it’s time to stop with such cliches.

“I’m more than fine with people condemning ‘too much outrage’ over the Hilary Rosen remarks. But if those people didn’t spend weeks condemning the media water-carrying of the Sandra Fluke public relations campaign, as I did, then they will forgive me for not taking their concerns too seriously here.”

***

Via Newsbusters.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Night, boys. Sleep tight!

cynccook on April 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Distracted? Well you need to google Kate Upton. See the cover of the SI swim suit edition. You won’t be able to recall your own name.

SparkPlug on April 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Or, you gotta hire you some help.

RedCrow on April 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Good Night Cyndy, pleasant dreams.

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

SparkPlug on April 14, 2012 at 12:54 AM

So do pineapples bouncing off of his cranium…

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Kate Upton’s pineapples especially.

SparkPlug on April 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

cynccook on April 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM

See ya, cync.

RedCrow on April 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Could put a nice bounce in the economy.

SparkPlug on April 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM

So to speak…

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Keep it up team Romney.

rickyricardo on April 14, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Ditto…

Khun Joe on April 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Kate Upton’s pineapples especially.

SparkPlug on April 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Fa-dow-dow is a totally different experience…

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

From an earlier thread, on topic. Must read and propagate.

Mrs. Jackal here:
Liberal women hating on Conservative women is nothing new and is full of lies. What Ms Rosen and Ms O’Neill said about Mrs. Romeny is nothing compared to what has been said about Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachman.

As a woman, as a Homemaker & SAHM (37 years now [and yes I've been employed at times during those 37 years]) and as a Conservative woman I take umbridge at this:

And we didn’t have the luxury for her [Michelle] not to work.
[Barack Obama April 2012]

n 1997 – Obama was a State Senator, was a Senior Lecturer at UofC Law School and sat on the boards of the Woods Foundation, the Joyce Foundation and the Chicago Annenberg Challange.
Not to mention that he had already ‘written’ Dreams From My Father (1995). All of this BEFORE either one of their children were BORN.

Their 2007 net worth was in excess of $1.3 million (2007, Money magazine estimate (via Wikipedia).
Just a mere 10 years later.

In 1988 – I was living in a 3 bedroom apartment 3rd floor walk-up in Germany with 3 children and another on the way with a hubby who was gone for 278 days that year – alone, away from family and pregnant in a few hundred sq foot apartment. Doing it all, alone and on $12,468/yr income.

In 1997 – I was living in KY (in a $53,000, 1300 sq foot house) on a SSG salary in the US Army ($24,108/yr). Four children and I had the privilege of staying home. 2007 was the last time I was employed.

Luxury – I always thought Obama was stupid, now I realize how dumb he really is. And how much of liar he is. And how much he hates women.

And I read Ms Rosen lives in a 5500 sq ft home – if you add together all the homes I’ve owned (3 – the military life just doesn’t enable home ownership) – I’d still need another home to equal it (4600 total sq ft for all 3 homes). I can’t afford the (obvious) maid(s) she has nor the ‘yard’ person – I do my own mowing (hubby can’t do it, any more).

Let any of them come live my experience – 4 unemployed adults (2 disabled) living in 1900 sq ft home with 2 cars (10 years and 17 years old) trying to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table with just a military pension and a son on SSI (he pays his own medical bills & food). Jan 2010 was the last year my hubby was employed.

Now that’s a compelling story. Which all of these hateful people will ignore.

BTW, don’t all the welfare ‘mommies’ – also – never work a day in their lives? Where is the hate on them?

Liars. Hypocrites. Elites.

jackal40 on April 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Schadenfreude on April 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM

LOL !!!!

ExpressoBold on April 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM

lolz..I know..I’m embarrassed!..:)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Funny how all these people come out condemning the outrage culture when one of their own gets raked over the coals.

They are the most shameless hypocrites in the universe.

WisCon on April 14, 2012 at 1:27 AM

OK–Here ya go!

RedCrow on April 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM

This is politics, it doesn’t HAVE to make sense. The issue is this: Hillary Rosen exposed the truth that for Libs, the only “choice” a woman need concern herself with, is abortion. Ann Romney CHOSE not to work, and for that she was attacked by the Party of Choice. Game, set, match.

Kenz on April 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

rofl..:)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM

With your hair so bright and your pants too tight it’s gonna be alright.

RedCrow on April 14, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Evening all. (Or, good morning, most of you.) Been a long hard week. Although my candidate lost the Tuesday election, the week wrapped up nicely with the Left’s rout in the War on Women™. Leaving this for the clean-up crew:

A Dem PR person named Rosen
Caused Obama’s campaign to implosion.
She made like a jerk,
Claiming housewives don’t work,
Now out of the White House she’s frozen.

de rigueur on April 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Gracing you with their presence….

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I’ll say bon soir with this one.

Sweet dreams.

RedCrow on April 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

RedCrow on April 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Very nice..:)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 1:47 AM

If youre on the Republican Team, the thing to do is NOT to blow this out of proportion but to make note of it, then move on.org to the more important issues such as the Obama’s total failure in office.

Sacramento on April 14, 2012 at 1:48 AM

de rigueur on April 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Nice Work!!..:)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Turn right and you’re there…

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 1:55 AM

O/T

Coincidence, or more campaign strategy by Team Teh Won?

4Grace on April 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM

DireStraits QOTD Song. Just Not feeling it tonight. Tired I guess. Got an early call. I was struggling to pick and I came across this. I’m not familiar with this group so I thought what a better place to try it out then here. Let me know what you think. Have you heard of them?

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Turn right and you’re there…

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Nice one.

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Turn right and you’re there…

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Wow, very good. I would have liked to see that concert. I heard the backup singer top left had a nice rack but I didn’t see it.

arnold ziffel on April 14, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I tip my Fedora to you..Good tune..:)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Dire This is what I was gonna go with. I felt like maybe I had been to that well one to many times. Probably should have gone with it. Oh well. Housework. I just didn’t want to be lazy I guess.

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Goto Georgetown Law

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 2:05 AM

I’m tired I linked the wrong one. This has better sound quality but no visuals.

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Good Night All.

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Night, Bmore.

4Grace on April 14, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 2:05 AM

+ 100..Nice tune..:)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Nothing wrong with turning the tables on the Democrats on this issue. They got plenty of mileage off the “war on women” meme with media help, sticking it in their eye is a good thing.

In fact, Rosen’s overreach has contributed to conservatives coming together in support of the ticket much quicker than it seemed they might.

The attempts to sidetrack us on social issues will continue, as will others, as will attacks on the LDS Church. We can deal with the distractions head-on and still stay focused on the key issues: the economy, jobs, growth, deficits, energy, and Obama’s record of abysmal failure in everything except regulations to restrict economic freedom and increase the cost of doing business in America.

Adjoran on April 14, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Dire Straits

South America at the Get Lucky Tour. Never been there, usually get the 867-5309 number.

arnold ziffel on April 14, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Mersey me

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 2:38 AM

arnold ziffel on April 14, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Awesome stuff..just awesome..Two Thumbs up..:):)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Mersey me…

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Hey, you pulled that on me a couple of months ago with Roxy music. Make fun of the old guy, I taught Gerry river navigation.

arnold ziffel on April 14, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Did ya get the 867-5309 joke? It’s pretty hard to get one up on the Dire. :)

arnold ziffel on April 14, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Did ya get the 867-5309 joke? It’s pretty hard to get one up on the Dire. :)

arnold ziffel on April 14, 2012 at 2:44 AM

TT made Jenny change her #…

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM

arnold ziffel on April 14, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Got it..First time I saw it was in a restroom!!..:)

PS..Going back a moment in time to last night..This is/was a great tune!!..:)

PS..Too bad I do not have a great copy..:)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 2:55 AM

arnold ziffel on April 14, 2012 at 2:42 AM

They were bigger than the Beatles, in England…Here ya go, old timer. Something to Marvel about

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Hat Tip again..:)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Too bad I do not have a great copy..:)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 2:55 AM

That’s because it’s not PAT…I like white stripes

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 3:06 AM

For the YOUNG and quippy Cyndy Cook…

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 3:06 AM

+100..Everybody had a crush on PB in the day..:)

PS..I almost put an A in the middle!..:)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 3:17 AM

On Casting Stones: How the “War on Women” convinced me to vote for Mitt Romney http://wp.me/p1ipEz-1xp

TeresainFortWorth on April 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Thank you for sharing that. What a wonderful article you wrote.

kim roy on April 14, 2012 at 3:19 AM

PS..I almost put an A in the middle!..:)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 3:17 AM

PAB for the win

Gohawgs on April 14, 2012 at 3:29 AM

“For you see, when I did my research, I started reading more about a candidate that wasn’t my first choice to be President. And the more I read, the more I realized that this is a good man, and someone who I would be very proud to have leading this country.

So thank you, Ms. Rosen – you helped make my decision a whole lot easier.

Mitt Romney has earned my vote.”

TeresainFortWorth on April 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Loved your blog, and posted it on my fb page…

lovingmyUSA on April 14, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Playing the same games the left plays is just sinking to their level. Play the long game and keep your dignity instead of stooping for a few short term votes.

kaltes on April 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Yeah, that worked so well for McLame…

lovingmyUSA on April 14, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Short Sleep. Coffee.

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 6:05 AM

Heck since none else is around, I’ll just go all in.

Bmore on April 14, 2012 at 6:07 AM

Five kids, and Mrs Romney “has never worked a day in her life”?

Hillary Rosen gets her butt whupped by Mrs SubmarineDoc in 5…4…3..2..

SubmarineDoc on April 14, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Why is Ms. Rosen so angry?

Mitt Romney is pro-choice isn’t he?

PappyD61 on April 14, 2012 at 8:03 AM

So thank you, Ms. Rosen – you helped make my decision a whole lot easier.

Mitt Romney has earned my vote.”

TeresainFortWorth on April 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Teresa

I enjoyed my visit to your blog. I found it thoughtful, well written and very well presented. Thank you.

Basilsbest on April 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Cozmo knows. Something about green cats.

SparkPlug on April 14, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I take it you don’t do much detectiving.

You did get one of the words though.

cozmo on April 14, 2012 at 8:49 AM

“You wingnuts need to stop fighting this phony war we started, now that we’re losing it.”

Jim Treacher on April 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM

They just keep adding fuel to the fire because they just do not know when to quit.

When people are really upset, telling them they’re sentiments are fake is really really stupid.

Having said that, there is a good piece on American Thinker about this thats worth considering:

This story did wipe all the bad economic data and everything else off the front page.

Sunday, April 14th, 1912 was the fifth day of the maiden voyage of the R.M.S. Titanic. Things were busy for the operators of the ship’s wireless today, as now that the wireless was repaired the operators were hopelessly backlogged with messages, many warning of ice in Titanic’s path.

dogsoldier on April 14, 2012 at 9:28 AM

“So I think I’m a bit more consistent in saying that both ‘wars’ were bogus…”

Of course they’re bogus! Anything…ANYTHING to distract our attention from the crumbling country. Bogus wars, bogus murder charges, bogus promises…I wouldn’t even put it past them to have orchestrated the SS arrests in Columbia to give us something else inane to gossip about.

Obama is stark raving terrified that the truth of what he has done to our country is going to be exposed in the MSM. Distraction is all he has left. He will use it non-stop between now and November. Chaos will rule the US for the next seven months.

creeper on April 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM

- Marc Ambinder

Well said, sir.
It further demonstrates the shallowness of Barry AND Willard.
(school playground machinations … good grief)
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM

cozmo on April 14, 2012 at 8:49 AM

LOL*. I know what it is now. I can’t wait to ask ALTy about her new business venture. She will say something funny and then bit you.

SparkPlug on April 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Jim Treacher on April 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM

nailed it. (:

SparkPlug on April 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

canopfor on April 14, 2012 at 12:16 AM
—————————————

Good to see you friend..:)

PS..Are you keeping your grand kids this weekend..:)

Dire Straits on April 14, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Dire Straits:

Sorry for the late response,good to see you as well,we got him on Thursday,he heads home for around 2 o`clock today….—:)

canopfor on April 14, 2012 at 12:51 PM

SparkPlug on April 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Or, she may claim to not know what you are asking about…

And then bite me.

cozmo on April 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM

From John Nolte/Breitbart
The Obama campaign would have us believe that last night on CNN Obama advisor and frequent White House guest, Hilary Rosen, spoke out of turn with her indefensible attack on Ann Romney and every woman who chooses to stay home and raise her family. But in a speech last Friday at “The White House Forum on Women and the Economy,” President Obama seemed to be laying the groundwork for exactly this attack.
By last Friday, it was already apparent that the only thing stopping Mitt Romney from becoming the GOP presidential nominee were mere formalities, and talk had already begun among Obama’s media allies that Ann Romney, the wife of our likely nominee, was going to be a huge asset for the Republican ticket. Attractive, charismatic, warm, well-spoken, intelligent, and likeable on sight, she would do much to not only soften her husband’s edges but also to help shore up the so-called gender gap.
As we’ve all seen since President Obama stabbed the Catholic Church in the back a couple of months ago, Obama is cynically plotting a path to re-election through a phony “war on women.” Because he can’t run on a failed record, the White House and the media are hoping this divisive tactic will scare enough women into voting against Romney.
When that’s your sinister plot, a woman like Ann Romney is a serious problem.
So last night on CNN, Hilary Rosen attacked Ms. Romney. But almost immediately afterward, the Obama campaign assured us Rosen doesn’t speak for them.
Baloney.
Obama might suck as a president, but when it comes to campaigning and message discipline, this White House knows what it’s doing (it doesn’t hurt to have the MSM carrying your water, either). Speaking of his wife Michelle just a few days prior to Rosen’s attack, President Obama launched a little theme that should sound familiar after last night’s fireworks:
“And once Michelle and I had our girls, she gave it her all to balance raising a family and pursuing a career–and something that could be very difficult on her, because I was gone a lot.
“Once I was in the state legislature, I was teaching, I was practicing law, I’d be traveling,” he said. “And we didn’t have the luxury for her not to work.”
Oh, boo-hoo for the Harvard graduate.

Bambi on April 14, 2012 at 1:38 PM