NOW president: Ann Romney lacks “life experience” and “imagination” to relate to most Americans

posted at 10:26 am on April 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Via Newsbusters, NOW President Terry O’Neill ignores the First Rule of Holes (stop digging!) and provides another cycle for Republicans to defend Ann Romney and stay-at-home moms.  Instead of leaving bad enough alone, O’Neill appeared on Ed Schultz’ MSNBC show last night and attempted to rewrite Hilary Rosen’s faceplant and keep the attack on Ann Romney for not having a salaried job in the workforce as a means to paint the Romneys as out of touch.  Say, remember when feminism meant supporting the choices of women and defending them from being marginalized and demeaned?  Good times, good times:

TERRY O’NEILL: What would we be saying if Hillary Clinton had said this: that Ann Romney has never, has not worked for pay outside the home a day in her life?  That’s my understanding that’s an accurate statement, and that raises the exact issue that Hilary Rosen was trying to get to, which is do Mr. & Mrs. Romney have the kind of life experience and if not, the imagination, to really understand what most American families are going through right now? I think that that was what Hilary was getting out, and so she left out the words “for pay outside the home.”

Stick around to the end to see Rep. Maxine Waters keep it classy by calling the presumptive Republican nominee “Mitt Rot-ney,” but O’Neill is the real show here.  Once again, we get to see the professional Left’s utter disdain for women who chose to stay home with their children rather than work in the workplace.  Do they also lack “life experience” and “imagination”?  Are their political and economic views also irrelevant?  Is a woman’s worth entirely measured by her salary?  Is that the official position of NOW?  If so, then perhaps they may want to think about an official name change.

My friend Jonathan Martin of Politico commented on Twitter about how quickly the Right embraced grievance politics in this instance.  It’s a worthwhile point, and this can certainly get overplayed, but it ignores a couple of other points.  First, Democrats have been accusing the GOP of conducting a “war on women” since February of last year, when DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz explicitly made that accusation, and which VP Joe Biden reiterated last night — on the same show, despite claims from Democrats earlier in the day that they never indulged in that language:

Vice President Joe Biden said tonight that what he called a Republican-led effort to rollback the rights of women is “real” and will “intensify.”

“I think the ‘war on women’ is real,” Biden told MSNBC’s “The Ed Show,” deploying the politically-charged phrase for the first time on the national stage.

“And look, I’ll tell you when it’s going to intensify – the next president of the United States is going to get to name one, possibly two or more, members to the Supreme Court,” he added.

The grievance fight in this case has been under way for fourteen months, so to blame the Right for responding is a little odd.  Also, Rosen took a swipe at a candidate’s wife, as O’Neill did again last night.  Once again, don’t blame the Right for responding to it.

Update: Democrats claim to be backing away from the “war on women” rhetoric, but neither Biden nor their merchandisers have gotten the message.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

I’m not sure about comparing attacks on Sarah Palin with Ann Romney.

The left attacks Sarah Palin on everything and anything.

TerryW on April 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

JennyHatch on April 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Chick Fil-A is a great company run by a great man and citizen Truett Cathy. Be sure to participate in the scholarship programs they have available to their employees.

viking01 on April 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM

SO oh wise anti-woman woman–what constitutes life experience?

As a wife and mother, cancer survivor, and MS victim Mrs. Romney knows about fear, helplessness, love, child rearing, and sustaining a long and stable marriage. NO Experience there….

What about as the president of the LDS womans auxilary organization called the Relief Society. This ALL VOLUNTEER position lasts from 1 to 3 years in a local congregation. It takes on average 30 hours per week. What exactly does a Relief Society President do? I am glad you ask.

This organization is part of the interal welfare system the Mommon church runs to help its members become self-reliant (not a known concept in the DEM world). As president she was responsible to know and ensure care for all the women in her congregation’a area of responsibility regarless of practing or non-practing status. Coordiantion of weekly lessons, monthly skill development activities, emergency relief coordination among the members, and at times in the community at large. Overseeing a system that helps to ensure the well being of all members rich or poor without regard to staus in the community. Mrs. Romney has comforted the dying, sustained the berieved, held the hands of a new mothers and helped them care for their children. Mrs Romney has listened to the fears of women who have lost spouses, and jobs. She has given hope and help to many in need.

She has served on PTA volunteer boards, been a den mother, soccer mom, supportive wife to a hard working husband, who after long hours at his paying job took on the responsibilities of congregations as both bishop and later as Stake President (13 year term BTW.

She has lived a fruitful and productive life. Instead of walking around dripping in jewels and designer bags she has used her good fortune to benefit others. She is the first to volunteer to lend a hand.

No–no experience.

Jackie on April 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I could never imagine having the wealth that the Romneys have, I’m not jealous nor does it bother me at all that they are multi millionaires.

I’m a cancer survivor & in that aspect me & Ms. Romney are exactly the same. Cancer has a way of making us all equals. It doesn’t matter to me that she is incredibly wealthy, we are both the same. We both worked HARD to beat that damn disease. Nothing anyone can say about her can make me envious or hate her b/c she is rich or b/c she raised her kids, etc.

I was never an Ann Romney fan until Rosen made me one.

poppieseeds on April 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM

A DNA test is in order…is either of these two even a woman???…

PatriotRider on April 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Of course it does, and that’s why Romney is polling behind. It doesn’t matter what strikes you as silly (Mitt’s got your demographic). Mitt’s competing with the voting demographic that’s up for grabs, and guess what he’s not doing well relating to those people, meanwhile his surrogates are busy alienating them. It’s the reality on the ground not your opinion of populism that counts.
Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM

First, I loathe populism, whether it comes from the Right or Left. It is not a “conservative” tenet and is one of the seven deadly sins. Michelle Obama went to Princeton. Does that stop her from being criticized? Of course not, so it’s a silly argument to allege Ann Romney is immune because of her education (or wealth or whatever it is you’re complaining about).

It seems there is nothing the Romneys can do to please some of you, and it always seems to come back to lingering resentment about Sarah Palin. You allege Romney and his “surrogates” are busy alienating women and independents. Find me something Andrea Saul, or Romney or anyone on his team has done to support this charge (and do try to stick to this election cycle). As for Palin, she has to take some responsibility for her own reputation, don’t you think? We’ve identified the MSM and Nicole Wallace for their part in inflicting damage. Why do you insist on blaming the Romneys for Palin’s travails? Palin’s not doing herself any favors by, say, continuing to promote Newt Gingrich or pushing her Rage Against the Establishment Machine and take it all the way to Tampa meme. She did a lot of damage to her own fan base by toying with her supporters last summer. And Ann did fine yesterday on her own. No one was jumping up and down demanding that Palin or anyone else defend her. Whatever happened occurred organically as a natural response; it wasn’t “manufactured”.

As for the “reality on the ground” those numbers are narrowing as Romney is finally able to focus on the general election (despite Palin’s earlier counter-productive efforts and strategically bone-headed advice we take this all the way to Tampa). Your forecasts and advice could not be more off. Wait for next weeks polls…

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Or let Romney’s money and machinery defend her wife. Surely, Romney can buy NOW.
TheAlamos on April 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM

HER WIFE? Are you talking about rosen?

Dr Evil:

You know if Mitt jumped in the msm would be screaming that she can’t take care of herself. Man, you can’t win with these haters! He has been her supporter all of their lives. Being there when she had to go thru breast cancer, and loving her even with MS when lesser men would run away.
They cana’t find any sex partners against him, so they have to find something – oh yes, she has been the partner that most men would die for and so we have to take her out!
The left is despicable and for you who refuse to vote out 0b0z0, you deserve what you will get, but I DON’T and neither does my family and the good people who make this nation great!

Bambi on April 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I was never an Ann Romney fan until Rosen made me one.

poppieseeds on April 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM

You probably, like me and most people, knew next to nothing about her before now. First impressions are lasting impressions. That’s why this is such a huge deal.

Fenris on April 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I’m short on time here – BUT – I think it’s long overdue for Strong Conservative Women to come to the front line to defend the much maligned American Male. Men have been under seige culturally in this country for a generation, to the point where a lot of men have given up defending themselves for being male. Look at all the commercials, tv shows, movies etc. where men are always depicted negatively – stupid, violent, dishonest, abusive etc – it’s been a relentless onslaught for at least 25-30 years.

Where have the strong women been for all those years?

Harbingeing on April 13, 2012 at 1:08 PM

We should be just as concerned about our boys, who are also under siege.

Owen Glendower on April 13, 2012 at 1:20 PM

It’s pure schadenfreude that Hilary Rosen, the ‘communications expert of them all’ succeeded in making Mitt’s top gun center stage, when Mitt is awkward and unpopular.

Never underestimate the lefties’ zeal, Utopia and stupidity.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Rush just said: “If I had a daughter, she’d look like Ann Romney.”

Ahhh…perfection… from the author of Obama’s nightmares.

GGMac on April 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Aiiight I wanna be the founder of the Stay-At-Home Mom’s Panthers/. Hockey moms, soccer moms and Grizzly Mama Bears also welcome to join/.

WHO’S WITH ME?

ProudPalinFan on April 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM

You Romney people should perhaps say a prayer thanking God for Ann Romney and Hilary Dufuss. They managed to do what all your yelling, name calling and telling adults to “grow up” could not: brought some conservatives back to the fold. You all now need to separate your church from your politics and do NOT even be tempted to swerve into defending it. Ignore anything anyone says. Just ignore it because you’ll get exactly the responses I gave when the mafia started attacking other Republicans. Copy and paste will answer ANY argument you can put forth and there’s a LOT to copy and paste. I’ve tried from the beginning to coax Mormons into seeing that it’s a losing battle. I tried–with object lesson after object lesson (and believe me, I didn’t even get to the good stuff–Brigham Young talked a LOT)–to get you to see that bluebil and gunshot Bill types need to stop offending every person they talk to—and they do.

I’m going to be critical of Romney and Romney’s staff. Heck I would have been critical of ANY nominee when I see them mess up or have an approach that will not work—like slash and burn your opponents, which was one of the singular dumbest campaigns I’ve ever seen—you can get there without lying and personal assassinations.

There’s been a break in that war. If you want to argue a point, do so, but leave the words “moron, stupid, subhuman, bigot” out of all arguments. Romney may have a chance to rebuild bridges he and his crew have cheerfully burned if his arduous supporters can resist lighting a match every time a board is laid.

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Rush just said: “If I had a daughter, she’d look like Ann Romney.”

Ahhh…perfection… from the author of Obama’s nightmares.

GGMac on April 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I was in the car running errands and now I’m watching him. You know, because I CHOSE to stay home and raise the kids.

ProudPalinFan on April 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I do think Ann’s son’s are up to meeting them in a dim lit parking lot LOL!

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

As a mother of 4 fine strapping young sons myself I would LOVE to see one or all of Ann’s sons go on Meet the Press in lieu of Ms. Rosen and tell the world what it means to have a mom stay home and take care of them.

I guarantee that that would have some impact. The moms of America would positively swoon to see young men stand up for their mom.

Lily on April 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Fenris on April 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM

It’s even more schadenfreudig that Hilary Rosen succeeded with one stroke to erase the Stepford Wives image (granted Callista suffers from more of it than Ann).

The right thanks Hilary (the one out of 3 in Carney’s imagination).

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM

O’Neil reminds me of the grim Soviet figure skating coaches I looked forward to seeing as a Cold War child when the Olympics would roll around. Not one molecule of humor in their squat babushka bodies. They appeared prepared to kill their young charges, or themselves, were they to bring shame upon the party.

Kungfoochimp on April 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I was never an Ann Romney fan until Rosen made me one.

poppieseeds on April 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Yesterday was the first day I saw Ann Romney in an interview. I’m very impressed and think the campaign should give her more exposure to help humanize the family.

Happy Nomad on April 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Except for the “Mormonism” about which I don’t give a darn, your message is superb.

They won’t internalize it, at their peril.

Thank you Portia, for your sanity and soundness.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I’m not sure about comparing attacks on Sarah Palin with Ann Romney.

The left attacks Sarah Palin on everything and anything.

TerryW on April 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Yet. We are in early days the Palinazation of the Romneys has just begun. What names are they calling Ann Romney now that they haven’t called Sarah Palin? I use the Lawrence O’Donnell attack on Mitt’s Religion as the beginning date of the smearing to start in earnest. Others will probably point to an earlier attack but I think this is when the dem smear machine engine was turned on.

Mormonism was created by a guy in Upstate New York in 1830 when he got caught having sex with the maid and explained to his wife that God told him to do it. 48 wives later Joseph Smith’s lifestyle was completely sanctified in the religion he invented to go along with it, which Mitt Romney says he believes.

It could be worse the church Sarah Palin attended was burned down.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM

The “War on Women” Is Over
The life cycle of a political talking point, from birth to adolescence to death

A moment of silence, please, for a talking point that was taken too soon. The “war on women” began its life in a February 2011 House speech about abortion. After a short life as a Democratic hobby horse, it died during the second week of April 2012. The cause of death: Rosengate, the latest and least explicable battle in the Umbrage Wars.

Galt2009 on April 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM

these people are just idiots! everyone has a life experience. are now some life experiences better than others? are qualified, intelligent people now eliminated from government if they don’t share a particular “life experience” with some minority? where does it end?!?

how can obama possibly understand me, the middle aged white guy who works everyday, owns a gun, enjoys the outdoors and has worked for everything i have??? aren’t there a LOT of people like me? who represents us??

jetch on April 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM

You know, because I CHOSE to stay home and raise the kids.

ProudPalinFan on April 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Well then, I guess you lack life experience and imagination. ;O

Happy Nomad on April 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Seems the dems are determined to keep this going:

From the site. Video from this morning on FNC.

Democrat activist Julie Roginsky defended Hilary Rosen today on FOX News saying she “had every right” to attack Ann Romney as a stay at home mother.

dogsoldier on April 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM

“If I had a daughter, she’d look like Ann Romney.” — Rush

Sheesh, no Sir. Who’d want a Stepford wife? Ah, you do, Sir.

I get the Obama thingie, but there are smarter ones than this one.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM

To feminists like Rosen and O’Neil wealthy stay-at-home mothers like Ann Romney are “Stepford Wives” They also believe that all straight conservative males’ ideal woman is a Stepford Wife. The fact that this NOW bunch has lectured all of us about not stereotyping women further shows their hypocricy.

susandiane311 on April 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM

One of my closest friends from my grade school years was from a family which already were millionaires who became billionaires. They lived in a comparatively modest house of about 2,500 sq. ft. were constantly active in charity work, volunteering, his father was career USN and last I heard his mother spent several years volunteering with Mother Theresa over in India… and they aren’t even Catholic.

The Marxist / Bolsheviks infecting the Left try to imply that “rich” means dissolute like their Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan or Liberal hero Ted Kennedy. Yet in the real world many whom the Marxists would attack as wealthy (particularly those self-made hard-work wealthy) drive economy cars and are quietly active in their church, their community, and charitable organizations seeking no spotlight for their resources or efforts.

viking01 on April 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM

aren’t there a LOT of people like me?

jetch on April 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Not in the circles that the Obamas, Hilary Rosen, and like-minded liberals run. They certainly have not worked hard for what they have, they abhor the 2nd Amendment, and have a sense of entitlement so deeply ingrained they don’t respect the “ordinary” people who do not have ivy league degrees.

Happy Nomad on April 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Seems the dems are determined to keep this going:

From the site. Video from this morning on FNC.

dogsoldier on April 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Hamburger Hill

lynncgb on April 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I was never an Ann Romney fan until Rosen made me one.

poppieseeds on April 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Happy Nomad on April 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM

yup and yup

ted c on April 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I think you guys just need to relax and enjoy the show. The Democrats have effectively kneecapped themselves in both legs here and are flailing about desperately right now. This is going to push Romney’s poll numbers up and will set the tone for the rest of the campaign.

Best part about it is Romney himself hasn’t done or said anything. He’s going to keep hammering home the message of how much of a failure zero has been economically while Axlerod and his minions throw stuff at…Ann Romney and make her a martyr for every mother in the US. Then, once the Death Star and the Rove superpacs start firing It’s going to get really ugly. Might start seeing House and Senate dems start jumping the Obama ship like rats before the election to try and save themselves much like we saw in 2010 haha

1984 in real life on April 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Hamburger Hill

lynncgb on April 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM

the second wave….

ted c on April 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

There’s also the possibility that many of them aren’t Romney supporters at all.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Well then, I guess you lack life experience and imagination. ;O

Happy Nomad on April 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Well, I WORKED and during my mom’s breast cancer

ProudPalinFan on April 13, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Remember that to the NAGs: “life experience” = killing your baby

viking01 on April 13, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

They won’t internalize it, at their peril.

Thank you Portia, for your sanity and soundness.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I’ll second that emotion.

totherightofthem on April 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM

These elitist, condescending jerks are so used to talking to themselves and having the MSM carry their water that they can’t see that they are screwing up. They are breaking discipline and breaking every rule of damage control. I love it.

SurferDoc on April 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM

“p.s. Callista beats Ann in the category and Michelle looks…well, you can just make up your own analogy.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM”

Reference to Rush’s brilliance was merely in relation to his uncanny ability to kneecap Obama with the Won’s own words!

;)

GGMac on April 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Galt2009 on April 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Here’s a free lesson

1. Copy link
2. Click “link button” and paste link in the popup box, click OK.
3.Type in whatever name you want for the link
4. Click “link button” once more – and there’s your link, good to go.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

They won’t internalize it, at their peril.

Thank you Portia, for your sanity and soundness.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I’ll second that emotion.

totherightofthem on April 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM

There is a learning curve to overcome.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Seems the dems are determined to keep this going:

From the site. Video from this morning on FNC.

dogsoldier on April 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I’m really enjoying this

1984 in real life on April 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

There is a learning curve to overcome.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Because, sadly, righties are often dumber than lefties.

The other big regret, righties can’t hold two thoughts in one head, similarly to lefties.

God gave people brains to think but they waste them, alas.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Really? I’m not a Mormon. But you are a presumptuous jerk. As for my “lying”: Find a lie. Direct quote with a link please.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Not sure what point you’re trying to make by linking to stuff about Joseph Smith. Is he running? Did the Romneys attack Palin’s church? Did I (and to be clear I don’t speak for them)? Did they burn her church down? What the hell are you doing?

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Command economy fans like PBHO and his sycophants like O’Neill are incapable of understanding even the basics of market economies. Consequently, the notion that households are the fundamental unit of the latter is beyond their comprehension(Dare I say life experience?)

Barnestormer on April 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Sorry keyboard acting funny ;)

I worked and went to college to earn my BA DURING my mom’s breast cancer; she passed away at 58. Most ppl know here my two conditions here, but oftentimes it’s wives of men that work at the hospitals ’round the country that have to make that additional sacrifice:

Live close enough to the hospital for on-call emergencies;

Not be able to drive to different places because yes, Mr. PPF is on-call sometimes;

Go to lunch or dinner and all of a sudden drop everything to drive Mr. PPF to the hospital to work on a patient so I can keep the car;

Can’t work right now because of his wacko schedule. For me to get back to the workforce will be a doozy;

I left everything-family and friends-I had to be here in the US so he can be near his family;

I can’t visit my mother’s grave except when I fly;

I could go on and on and on…I can’t wait till that nuisance is thrown at my face. In person. Soccer season is coming up soon and Miss PPF will join the team again.

ProudPalinFan on April 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I think Ann blocked this dumb war on women narrative, but this is just the opening salvos…maybe Mitt will get lucky and the Obama campaign will keep letting Rosen and Dunn keep running with lame narratives. I just don’t think the Romney campaign should count on it. They should be shaping the narrative around Mitt’s strengths the economy.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Indeed, but it s/b Rosen and Dumb.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Ann has beter instincts than Mittens, maybe we should run her, if one were spiteful, one could consider Ed Rollins, who dissed both
Bachmann and Palin, Michele Berrard, who had a conniption over the wardrobe, not so much over the retractions Lisa Murkowski, Tom Ross, Karl Rove, WAyne Berman,

narciso on April 13, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Did you read the entire comment? Do you need glasses?

I stated, I think that the beginning of the Palinazation of the Romney’s started with the attack on Mitt Romney’s religion by Lawrence O’Donnell on MSNBC. Than I included the attack, and link for reference.

The comparison is that Sarah Palin’s religion was also attacked, and her church was even burned down.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Thank you Portia, for your sanity and soundness.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Ha! Just like Newt on Hannity.

BTW I would like a response to my request that those who are holding grudges about Palin and blaming it on the Romneys do as I ask and provide something he or Andrea Saul did to support your allegations. We’ve had the Hot Air rumor mill working away tirelessly here for years now. I’d like to see some facts on the table for a change.

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I’m a Romney guy going back to 2008. Not religious at all; Episcopalian son of a Catholic mom and Pentecostal dad, subsequently lapsed into agnosticism.

Hope I haven’t offended anyone in trying to make a case for him.

I hope also that I’m misunderstanding you when I interpret you as seeming to suggest (1) Romney supporters are principally motivated by their religious denominations; or (2) when their religion is attacked as a means of attacking Romney, they should shut up and take it.

DrSteve on April 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Just got home from an award ceremony at our middle school. The principal took the first few minutes to explain that these kids are achieving because of what their parents are doing at home. Some of the parents there were working parents, some were stay-home moms (including me). As an attorney who left the practice of law to raise our two daughters, I sure take a lot of comfort in the outpouring of support for moms of all choices.

Got to go-laundry calls. Plan to get imaginative in my folding.

sleepingiantsup on April 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I’m pretty sure that you didn’t refer to me, on the SP whatever, because I don’t care, and don’t even care to know what that is about.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Got to go-laundry calls. Plan to get imaginative in my folding.

sleepingiantsup on April 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM

GRIN

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM

BD, it’s sad and will have huge consequences that you don’t see what Portia tried to convey. I disagree vehemently with all commentary on “Mormonism”. Unles they believe in sharia, all religion s/b left to their own.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Hamburger Hill

lynncgb on April 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM

And still more, they are out of their minds:

FTA: Newsbusters commenting on MSNBC piece on this.

Rally round the Rosen! On his MSNBC show this morning Chuck Todd used variations on the phrase “manufactured controversy” no fewer than eight times in dismissing the controversy around Rosen’s “Ann Romney never worked a day in her life” remarks.

By the end of a subsequent segment, Todd had former Obama and Clinton adviser [and Dee Dee sister] Betsy Myers taking up the “manufactured” meme. View the video after the jump.

They are desperately trying to Alinsky the real anger they stirred up. They just don’t get it. Now they’re backing up the Titanic to hit the iceberg a second time.

dogsoldier on April 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I am a working mom of 3, now all young adults. I can’t tell you the number of times I wish I had been able to stay home with my children. I was fortunate to be unemployed for 15 months during the dotcom bust and get to experience staying home with my children for a little while. I can tell you that ALL of us were much happier during those 15 months. I cooked a lot more, volunteered at school, helped with homework, and kept up with the house. Except for worrying about money (I was and still am our main breadwinner), it was a wonderful time.

Ann Romney did a wonderful job raising her boys, they are all fine men. I commend her for that, especially given her health concerns.

Even though my husband and I shared childcare and home duties, I still had a pretty traditional role at home and was much more strict about behavior, chores, and homework than he was. I KNOW that if I had been a stay-at-home mom, my kids would have been far more successful. They turned out OK, but are not where I would have wanted them to be. I KNOW my home would have been much cleaner and organized and far less chaotic. Even now, it would be really nice to have all day, every day, to get things done, instead of spending every weekend doing home maintenance.

I do think stay-at-home parents are lucky to be able to do so. It’s not necessarily harder to be a working mom, but you do make compromises and miss a lot with your kids. My mom was a stay-at-home mom and even took care of my kids before they entered school. She was there to teach and enforce discipline, to make non-fast food meals for the kids, to read to them, to see their first steps and hear their first words. When I was in school and needed my mom, I knew she would be available, not working clear across town. If I couldn’t get off of work on time or was late because of bad roads, I knew my mom was available to pick my kids up from school.

Bottom line, women need to make choices early in their adult life so that they have the choice to be a stay-at-home mom later. Make sure you have a good education or vocation training so that you CAN support yourself and a family. Make sure that the man you marry has a good education or vocational training so that he CAN support himself and a family. Work for a few years before having children so that you know what you want and can make the best choice for you and your family. If you’re always living paycheck to paycheck and have no savings, your choices will be taken from you.

Common Sense on April 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:49 PM

So what? O’Donnell is a Socialist crank. What he said didn’t even cause a stir beyond a very small pond. Nobody cares what he thinks except his deranged Leftist followers. If they want to go the religion route we have Jeremiah Wright, who’s baaaaaack. Meanwhile, what does Sarah’s religion have to do with Ann Romney? Or me? Buehler?

I don’t claim to be a mind reader but it appears you’re looking forward your what you have long been predicting will be the “Palinization” of the Romneys to make you feel better about how Palin was treated (something you continue to blame on them).

Gosh, and you all wonder why I call some of you “bitter” and respond with oh so much outrage…

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM

My response to N.O.W. President, Rosen and Dunn’s divide and conquer strategy.

Benjamin Franklin: “We must all hang together, or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately.”

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I don’t wonder, I just figure it’s hot flashes or something LOL!

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Really? I’m not a Mormon.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Do you use a Bic or just old fashioned kitchen matches?

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Sheepishly admitting that I’ve not read all of the comments – don’t know whether this has already been mentioned.

This skirmish in the dems’ war on women…no, not ‘women’…on Ann Romney specifically [because she's his presumed opponent's wife]… was instigated by Obama himself. On April 6th he fired the first salvo:

“Speaking Friday at what the administration called ‘The White House Forum on Women and the Economy’, President Barack Obama said that after his two daughters were born, he and his wife – both Harvard Law School graduates – could not afford the ‘luxury’ of having her stay home with the children.”

Couched…but clear. It’s an interesting and informative article, laced with clues that Barack-Michelle, Inc. don’t consider their wealth to be – you know – WEALTH. They’re not 1%ers – oh, no..nuh uhn!

GGMac on April 13, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM

99% of her post was an incoherent mess about Mormons. What was left for you to approve of?

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM

You’re right – I meant to address that to Dr. Evil and Portia et al. I want fact-based, rumor free evidence of the Romneys destroying Palin.

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM

He torches so many straw men, he causes a fire hazard, Yes Larry is insane, Andrea Mitchell is a fool, David Gregory will likely go there
next, without apology, better let Ann handle it,

narciso on April 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Do you use a Bic or just old fashioned kitchen matches?
Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Ha! Some of you seem consumed with a “fire” theme today, but beyond that I don’t have a fracking clue what point it is you’re trying to make.

You alleged I was a Mormon. I’m not. Now I’ve set my kitchen on fire? Perhaps you set your hair on fire and are projecting?

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM

jetch on April 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM

that’s precisely the idiocy of their argument…they are basically trying to push the idea that only certain life experiences are valid and viable, precisely the ones who conform to their own twisted worldview, while others (life experiences that is) should be just dismissed for lack of conformity to said warped worldview…they make the latter argument by saying things like ‘the Romneys can’t relate because they’re rich’ as if there’s no value and validity to their lives and experiences because of their wealth, or outside it…

jimver on April 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

This post rocks. But BD will pretend she doesn’t understand it or will faux hyperventilate that you are calling her a pyromaniac or something.

Portia46 NAILED the Pastry Peddling Shill.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM

My response to N.O.W. President, Rosen and Dunn’s divide and conquer strategy.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM

so far their strategy backfired…obviously they are dumber that they think they are for ‘misunderestimating’ (to use a bushism :-) the backlash of their ‘ann romney is out of touch’ nonsense…and that’s a good thing…

jimver on April 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Keep digging, you stupid schifosa!

claudius on April 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Common Sense on April 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Bless you. I’ll bet you did a wonderful job and your kids think so too. And life is a funny thing. Even when we’ve done our best and think we’ve planned for everything, life throws you a punch.

When I stayed home, my husband lost his job back during the Savings and Loan crisis. It wasn’t easy and many a time I thought, “If I’d just kept on working, we’d not be one mortgage payment from being in the street”….I also had horrid guilt over handing my kids to a baby-sitter and not being able to volunteer or “be” there. It took years to overcome those few months of no work, but we did it.

Then, my daughter died and one of the first things I thought was “thank God, I stayed home.” Money became supremely unimportant.

And my son changed entirely and we fought to save him for the next 10 years and then my husband became very ill and almost died, and then I got breast cancer. Life holds all sorts of surprises and challenges, but I’m grateful for every moment of it and every moment I had with my children. My goal now? To try and hand my son and hopefully his children a life in a free society where they can fail, then succeed and then start again and talk and argue without reprise. I could cry when I think of those who gave so much to leave ME those gifts of choice and freedom and we may be ending it because someone has the insane idea that life is “fair”.

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Thank you – I sincerely thank you – for the reminder to be very careful about what in my life I deem worthy of whining about.

GGMac on April 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM

You know, I really don’t care if the Romneys understand my problems. I want someone who can fix them. Do you really care if your surgeon can feel your pain? Or do you want your gallbladder removed promptly and efficiently? Do you care if your mechanic knows what it fells like to keep having to take your car in to get fixed because you can’t fix it yourself? Well, if he did, then he wouldn’t really be the person to take it to, would he?

I just don’t understand the whole concept of wanting an average or incompetent person running the country so he can empathize with the folks. Screw this empathy over competence BS.

talkingpoints on April 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

NOW and establishment “feminism” of the last 40 years are simply another radical left vine that grew out of the fetid swamps of 60s campus radicalism.
They have no more genuine interest in the lives of real women than the Soviet Politburo.
They’re simply a part of the left wing agitprop operation populated by the usual suspects advocating statist control and state sanctioned nihilism.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on April 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Portia46 NAILED

True, except for the “Mormonism” which s/b left alone. The left will use it plenty, erroneously.

the Pastry Peddling Shill.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM

You apologize to BD for this, or never use it gain, my youngen in pursuit of the pebble.

It goes back to the killing of the Dane, who fought sharia, the cartoons, and etc. It’s a very serious matter.

BD is a very intelligent and courageous dame, just hot-headed, and in ‘love’ with Romney. 98% of her is brilliant and you can live with the 2%. The latter has noble aims, just not so noble styling.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 2:30 PM

gain = again

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM

jetch on April 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I know this thread is probably dead, but that’s exactly how i feel about the Obamas. They didn’t even have any pets until they moved into the WH. They have no idea how the average rural or suburban person lives, or what our concerns are. The Romneys have more in common with me, if only because they are somewhat outdoorsy. The Rick Perry family has a whole lot more in common with me, but I’ll have to settle for having him as just a governor.

juliesa on April 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM

GGMac on April 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM

+1, and portia, the ending statement was very thoughtful, not at all self-centered, in spite of all you suffered through. All people could write books but they wouldn’t sell because they are not famous, like the shallow Hollywood or DC creatures.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM

At least 9% can certainly relate to staying at home.

Ronnie on April 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Just in case you thought that Rosen’s attack was a slap at Ann Romney’s wealth, take a look at what these male chauvinist pig had to write over at Mother Jones:

“I don’t blame Ann Romney for marrying a man whose salary and family wealth made it such that she didn’t have to work.

I do blame Ann Romney, Axelrod, and everyone else who has tried to imply that women who are housewives, domestic engineers, or whatever other in-vogue term they are being called today, work as hard as women who for whatever reasons (financial need or personal ambition) work outside of the home.

- Stephen Robert Morse

Make no mistake, the Left looks down on women, who stay at home and take care of their children. They look at those women as traitors to the “Womyn’s Rights” movement.

Feminists are pro-choice if you want to abort Trig Palin, but not if you want to give birth to him.

Feminists are pro-choice if you want to have a career outside of the home, but not if you choose to be a full-time mum.

Yes, Hillary could have stayed home and baked cookies and held teas, but, instead, she got a law degree and married a politically-ambitious man (according to her). She’s to be applauded for that we were told. A STAH mum was just not as sophisticated. Now, this time around, this Hilary could stay at home with her adopted twins while her lesbian partner worked and that was fine. It was a “different” kind of family so it was applauded. But, Ms Rosen looks with sneering and smug contempt upon the choice that Ann Romney made. Evidently, she has some male, chauvinist pig friends that agree with her.

Resist We Much on April 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Does “life experience” include working in the private sector? Are you sure you want to go down this road, Dems?

ConservativeLA on April 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 2:30 PM

And behind all that curmudgeonly cynicism we find Cyrano de Bergerac! That’s very gallant (and sweet). You’ve blown your cover!

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

What do you expect from Maxipad Waters after all Romney is two syllables…one more than she’s accustomed to using

PatriotPete on April 13, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Mitt is giving a superb speech to NRA women in St. Louis as we speak. He’s hitting every possible topic and nailing O on every one.

Despite the best efforts of Larry O’Donkey and his comrades, he’s going to be hard to demonize by using his Mormon religion against him. He’s too darned normal to portray as someone who secretly yearns for sister wives or whatever seeds these propagandists hope to plant. And if they try to pull the race card, that too will fail as George Romney has impeccable credentials in that regard…

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Is the lack of experience the reason Obama can’t relate to Americans? I guess with growing up in a foreign country with parents who hate America provides a better home environment for developing an understanding of America! lol

dahni on April 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM

It’s also very important to remember that when O’bama was a baby in Hawai’i, and then returned later on to go to schools there, whites were in the minority in that State. Still are.

And remember, Hawai’i is a foreign country. O’bama told us so earlier this year when he stupidly said Hawai’i was “in Asia”.

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Why do you all feel a need to apologize for her immense wealth and the easier life it brings?

verbaluce on April 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Who here has “apologized” for her being rich?

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Nah, as you portrayed above, life is not play. The land is at a huge pivot, and that’s not theater, as you noted in your life story.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM

verbaluce on April 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Why do you feel the need to envy it? It’s so anti-American.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 3:16 PM

“If I had a daughter, she’d look like Ann Romney.” — Rush

Sheesh, no Sir. Who’d want a Stepford wife? Ah, you do, Sir.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Please tell us why you think Ann is a “Stepford Wife”. Last time I checked, robots don’t get breast cancer or MS.

They also can’t give birth to 5 sons.

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM

GGMac on April 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Mormons?

Gunlock Bill on April 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Cancer and kids aside, which is very serious, and not implied, you must look closer. Callista is a bigger one, to be sure, but all of them are Stepford wives, if you don’t take it so 100% verbatim and in the abstract.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 3:22 PM

geez… one little explosion…..

mark81150 on April 13, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Yes, you are worthy of the Mother’s Curse…a child just like you! Dear Lord, I do hope you were an only child–for your mother’s sake (send her tickets to Hawaii for Mother’s Day…do it NOW…or charge it to NOW, whatever.)

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Thanks so much for not answering my question.

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM

There is a learning curve to overcome.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Because, sadly, righties are often dumber than lefties.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM

70% of high school dropouts have never voted for a Republican for President, but 70% of high school dropouts did vote for a Democrat for President in 2008.

The previous record was set in 2000, when 61% of high school dropouts voted for a Democrat for President.

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Del, if you don’t see it, I can’t explain it further. I’ve never been sarcastic with you, nor intended to avoid your question.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Fully agreed, and as always your stats and research are excellent. It still doesn’t negate that our side is often way dumber than it s/b. It’s that regret that we don’t more often double- or multi-thread in our thinking, as we, the “logical ones” should.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM