NOW president: Ann Romney lacks “life experience” and “imagination” to relate to most Americans

posted at 10:26 am on April 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Via Newsbusters, NOW President Terry O’Neill ignores the First Rule of Holes (stop digging!) and provides another cycle for Republicans to defend Ann Romney and stay-at-home moms.  Instead of leaving bad enough alone, O’Neill appeared on Ed Schultz’ MSNBC show last night and attempted to rewrite Hilary Rosen’s faceplant and keep the attack on Ann Romney for not having a salaried job in the workforce as a means to paint the Romneys as out of touch.  Say, remember when feminism meant supporting the choices of women and defending them from being marginalized and demeaned?  Good times, good times:

TERRY O’NEILL: What would we be saying if Hillary Clinton had said this: that Ann Romney has never, has not worked for pay outside the home a day in her life?  That’s my understanding that’s an accurate statement, and that raises the exact issue that Hilary Rosen was trying to get to, which is do Mr. & Mrs. Romney have the kind of life experience and if not, the imagination, to really understand what most American families are going through right now? I think that that was what Hilary was getting out, and so she left out the words “for pay outside the home.”

Stick around to the end to see Rep. Maxine Waters keep it classy by calling the presumptive Republican nominee “Mitt Rot-ney,” but O’Neill is the real show here.  Once again, we get to see the professional Left’s utter disdain for women who chose to stay home with their children rather than work in the workplace.  Do they also lack “life experience” and “imagination”?  Are their political and economic views also irrelevant?  Is a woman’s worth entirely measured by her salary?  Is that the official position of NOW?  If so, then perhaps they may want to think about an official name change.

My friend Jonathan Martin of Politico commented on Twitter about how quickly the Right embraced grievance politics in this instance.  It’s a worthwhile point, and this can certainly get overplayed, but it ignores a couple of other points.  First, Democrats have been accusing the GOP of conducting a “war on women” since February of last year, when DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz explicitly made that accusation, and which VP Joe Biden reiterated last night — on the same show, despite claims from Democrats earlier in the day that they never indulged in that language:

Vice President Joe Biden said tonight that what he called a Republican-led effort to rollback the rights of women is “real” and will “intensify.”

“I think the ‘war on women’ is real,” Biden told MSNBC’s “The Ed Show,” deploying the politically-charged phrase for the first time on the national stage.

“And look, I’ll tell you when it’s going to intensify – the next president of the United States is going to get to name one, possibly two or more, members to the Supreme Court,” he added.

The grievance fight in this case has been under way for fourteen months, so to blame the Right for responding is a little odd.  Also, Rosen took a swipe at a candidate’s wife, as O’Neill did again last night.  Once again, don’t blame the Right for responding to it.

Update: Democrats claim to be backing away from the “war on women” rhetoric, but neither Biden nor their merchandisers have gotten the message.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Ed, i hope that you used the words “my friend” only as a phrase because he is a fellow blogger- Jonathan Martin is a well known liberal who knows that the Democrats are in deep doo doo with their comments on Ann Romney and he is trying to run interference for the Dems – nothing more, nothing less.

I will bet my bottom dollar that he is not as nearly disappointed with the Dims for playing the victim card since time immemorial – War on Women any one ??.

Sorry but his argument is made in bad faith – simply because people of good sense are defending Ann Romney does not make her a “victim”. This is a word that Martin himself has thrown into the debate. This shows how essentially dishonest liberals like Martin are and how they project their own thoughts on to that of their opponents.

nagee76 on April 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM

The libs must really be scraping the bottom of their slime barrel if they’re still pushing this. Dredging up the creaky freaky NOW president will not help. Never knew there were this many souls sold to liberalism.

Kissmygrits on April 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Ann Romney is being targeted. Its time to defend our own.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Kissmygrits on April 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Good one. (:

SparkPlug on April 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

The people who are taking us backwards are the Obama Adminsitration and the Democrats. Their economic policies have destroyed many financial lives. Romney will get the economy going again without taxing more and more from our household incomes.

WyoMike on April 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

The GOP need to quit fighting the mommy wars and get back to the economy.

bitsy on April 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Republicans are very capable people. They can multi-task and talk about the economy AND defend the women that Democrats so clearly detest. And I’d point out that except for some RNC nonsense demanding an apology, the mommy wars have pretty consisted of liberal Democrat feminists committing professional seppuku.

BTW, did you see the interview of Ann Romney on FNC yesterday? She very effectively talked both about her family and the fact that the real issue for women was the lack of jobs and legacy of debt under Obama’s watch.

Happy Nomad on April 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

This:

These woman have it ALL wrong… and they have picked a fight with the wrong group…. SAHM… have had plenty of time to figure out the woman’s LIB movement has done nothing for the betterment of ALL woman, they have only lined the pockets of their own selfish and socially destructive minions.

ActinUpinTexas on April 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM

And this:

I’d say Ann Romney’s life experiences are much, much closer to most of us, particularly those of us who have raised a boy child. Five. She raised five of the little stinkers. Anyone who raises more than two of the species deserves a medal, a mink coat, a huge diamond and maid service into her old age.

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Amen!

GrannySunni on April 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

She’s probably right, most women are not dealing with MS but more have breast cancer. So I guess she does know some of the problems women are dealing with.

These women make me sick! They can see that Ann Romney is an asset to her husband and they want to take her out.

Good luck with that!

Bambi on April 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

They are trying to sell women – envy and the women who are susceptible to being envious, I predict already vote democrat.

Rosen’s attack was to shape Ann Romney as other “privileged” she isn’t allowed to speak for women, because according to Rosen, if you are wealthy it invalidates your life experience, the message is average women would be envious of Ann Romney.
Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

You seem to be making two contradictory arguments. Color me confused…

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

On that score, the only thing that might have made this better would have been if that other guy Rachel Maddow had been conducting the interview.

BuckeyeSam on April 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I think he had sex reassignment surgery and self-identifies as a woman now.

Fenris on April 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I think this is very relevant to the economic issues we’re facing today and resinates with mothers. They are on the front lines when it comes to purchasing food, gas, debt on our children, unemployment, the list goes on. Thats why its resonating. They are saying a mom raising children has no clue about economic issues but what they dont get is she is the person making daily financial decisions deciding where and how to spend the money and what to sacrifice when things get tight. This can easily be turned into an economic message and the Romney campaign is tapping into it.

ldbgcoleman on April 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

No I am not falling for anything. Romney needs the woman vote and he is polling way behind Obama by some estimates 20 points. The idea is that if Ann Romney get’s attacked it will “rally support” around Ann Romney. Republican candidates had multiple opportunities to show they supported their own when Sarah Palin and her family was attacked repeatedly in the media, they didn’t – they sat on their hands. Why? Because Sarah Palin didn’t go to Harvard, she isn’t one of them. That’s how it looks, it only matters when one of the old boy’s club or his family is attacked.

Let’s see, Obama said spouse families are off limits after Ann Romney is attacked. The Obamas went to Harvard so did Mitt Romney….Sarah Palin is attacked repeatedly, what did Obama or Romney have to say? Nothing crickets. Sarah Palin didn’t go to Harvard.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Why isn’t Sarah BLASTING away at these hypocrites ???

FlaMurph on April 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM

She did. Last night on Hannity. Read a text message from her sister who said, “isn’t these the same people who said you NEED to stay home with your five kids?”

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM

do Mr. & Mrs. Romney Obama have the kind of life experience and if not, the imagination, to really understand what most American families are going through right now?

We know the answer to that question.

jdkchem on April 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Have these people never read “The Millionaire Next Door”? In it, Stanley clearly spells out what it takes to get rich (i.e. $1 million in wealth accumulation):

UnderstandingisPower on April 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Reading the book is the easy part. Actually doing the work to become rich is way too hard for them.

PatriotGal2257 on April 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Is this what was meant by shovel ready jobs?

jdkchem on April 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

The professional left is a “Brood of Vipers”

chemman on April 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

You seem to be making two contradictory arguments. Color me confused…

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I am not making contradictory arguments.

Anita Dunn is using envy to attack the Romney campaign. Guess what the Romney’s are vulnerable to the attack, because of Mitt Romney’s past behavior. This isn’t exactly news Romney has a problem with Women,Independents, Middle class and Working class voters. It’s a big deal when Ann Romney get’s attacked for being a stay at home Mom. Sarah Palin was attacked for not being a stay at home Mom….where was Mitt Romney, when Sarah Palin was being attacked? War On Mom’s indeed.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

[snip] ….Sarah Palin is attacked repeatedly, what did Obama or Romney have to say? Nothing crickets. Sarah Palin didn’t go to Harvard.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I agree, but the alternative is Obama, so you do what you can. Not win at any cost, but if you’re going to pick a side you can’t handicap yourself with grievances, no matter how legitimate.

Fenris on April 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

And why do we care what this baby slaughtering, hedonistic beast says or believes?

rplat on April 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM

MSNBC has multiple openings this week and next for human
bodies with composts attached at the shoulders. You da man!!

ToddPA on April 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Awwwww Shucks …
Thanks for the job endorsement, but read a book or two first.
Yer not from planet Xenon too, are ya?
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM

We know the answer to that question.

jdkchem on April 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM

“Everywhere I go, no matter what, the women in the audience, their first question for me is, ‘How on earth are you managing it, how are you keeping it all together?’

“It’s a constant sense of guilt. It’s guilt, feeling guilty all the time. I’m fine, because I have a strong informal support network. I have a mother who lives five minutes from me. I don’t know what I would do, even if we weren’t running, I don’t know what I would do as a professional without having that kind of support system. So that keeps me sane.

“I know we’re spending — I added it up for the first time — we spend between the two kids, on extra-curriculars outside the classroom, we’re spending about $10,000 a year on piano and dance and sports supplements and so on and so forth. And summer programs. That’s the other huge cost. Barack is saying, ‘Whyyyyyy are we spending that?’ And I’m saying, ‘Do you know what summer camp costs?’

“We don’t complain because we’ve got resources because of our education. We’ve got family structure. So I tell people, ‘DON’T CRY FOR ME.’

- Michelle Obama, Zanesville, Ohio, February 2008

Don’t Cry For Us, America!

Resist We Much on April 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM

If Ann Romney lacks the life experience and imagination to relate to most Americans, then why did she get it right that American women—both outside-working and stay-at-home—are primarily concerned about the economy at a time when the Obama administration thought it could win us over with free birth control?

ansonia on April 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Hilary Rosen, this year’s recipient of the the Juan Williams “Kicked Off The Plantation” Award.

BobMbx on April 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Feminism NEVER meant that!

Finbar on April 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Your friend hasn’t been paying attention. I’ve been screaming my grievances over the Dems taking everything I’ve worked for. It like that couple in the Vonage commercial where they’re just handing money, belongings over to the bundlers (Solindra being the most famous)….

Stimulous, Obamacare, 20% across the board increase in the budget…I’ve been grieving as loudly as I can. Jon Boy just hasn’t been listening.

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Fenris on April 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I’m saying this is the Romney campaign’s weakness this has to be acknowledge and addressed, the democrats are good at playing this game perception vs reality. Romney is polling in some polls 20 points behind Obama with women voters. The Romney campaign has to have a plan, and it can’t just be using Ann Romney as a shield. The whole republican war on women narrative needs to be neutralized. It wouldn’t hurt the conservative media to pull back the curtain and show that it’s Anita Dunn pulling the levers.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM

the day you shut your mouth, abort your kids, vote Democrat, and carry a sign for NOW.

Well THAT ain’t gonna happen.

Apparently at the point you started getting paid to deal with other people’s children.

Yeah, must be it. You aren’t of any value unless someone’s paying you, I guess. Taking care of your own kids: no value. Taking care of other people’s kids: I rock. Yeah. Sure.

Bob's Kid on April 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Why do these whacked out liberals and NOW types all look “butch”?

Amjean on April 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Why isn’t Sarah BLASTING away at these hypocrites ???

FlaMurph on April 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Indeed she did. And why would she step all over Ann’s messaging? Mrs. Romney devastated Hilary Rosen with a single tweet. Palin arguably perfected the technique. And she’d probably agree with Harry Jones: “If a guy’s playing a hand, I let him play it. I’m no kibitzer.”

de rigueur on April 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM

She’ll see your breast cancer and raise you 5 kids and MS. If you can’t run with the big dogs, stay away from life experiences.

Finbar on April 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I am not making contradictory arguments.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Very good point.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Amen!

GrannySunni on April 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Ok…..

Now that hurts…. sigh.. look it was once ok?…. I never got a hold of any more explosives… and it’s not like girls never THOUGHT of doing that…..

geeeezzz what is it with Mom’s anyway?… can’t a guy indulge his latent guy instincts to crush conquer and destroy without getting that…. “OK LITTLE MR…. NOW MOMMY IS ANGRY” look and lecture?

besides… my mother invoked the Mother’s curse on me…

“May someday, you have a child,… which,… sigh,… drives you ten times as crazy as you drive me”…..

THUNDERCLAP……..

Lightning flash…..

Dammit Mom, that wasn’t funny.. and I wasn’t THAT bad… was I?…

ok ok

I was..

geez… one little explosion…..

mark81150 on April 13, 2012 at 12:22 PM

NOW people are butt ugly and are really unhappy about it. So they need to lie to alter that harsh reality.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Why isn’t NOW talking about the women-man wage gap?

libfreeordie on April 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Yeah, you’re right.

A+

I look forward to see NOW condemn the O’bama White House, which pays its women employees 18% less than their male employees.

Do you also condemn the O’bama White House for their Financial War Against Women?

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Feminism NEVER meant that!

Finbar on April 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Not true. Before Section Six of the Civil Rights Act, there were many of us trying to make our way in a world controlled by men. At the time, there was a loose coalition of working women who did, in fact, support equality in the work place.

I remember a lobbyist coming into our office. I was the top dog (after training my previous two bosses). He looked at me directly asked “Isn’t there anybody here I can talk to?” I attended many a meeting where I was the only woman present because women generally weren’t legislative assistants or directors. The irony? Most of the women who held those positions before the left started counting female heads on Congressional staffs worked for conservative Republicans. Even Bella Abzug’s “top” staffers were men.

When there was progress on the work front, most of us just kept on working. The liberals, kept on protesting and demanding things like government paid child care, an equal rights amendment that would have reversed legislation designed to protect women (for things like women’s restrooms at male-dominated jobs; being able to have maternity leave and return to your job).

Anyway, those of us who did work in the transition days called ourselves feminists…and we did, indeed, make the argument that women should be respected for their choices be it motherhood, truck driver or Congressional aide. Who makes the coffee was a big deal at the office (grin).

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Would the head on NOW say the same thing about Theresa Heinz-Kerry? I think not.

bw222 on April 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Finbar on April 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM

It’s why the Obama’s were out so fast responding and doing damage control on the teevee. I have no sympathy for the Obama’s they thought Rosen and Dunn were going to be the ticket to turn women against the republican party. They have both proved to be clumsy and ham handed in their attempts. The republicans need to pull the mask off the so called war on women attacks. Start with the obvious, there isn’t one.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Ann Romney seems like a class act. We must defend our own against this onslaught. Oh wait, the Mittbots not only didn’t defend Palin they happily joined in on the dog pile.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Ok. Romney has lots of weaknesses, but not planning isn’t one of them. In fact, I think relying too much on sneaky plans and surrogates to shape public discourse is one of his weaknesses. And those polls, the ones I’ve seen, are completely bogus with dems way over represented. And getting his wife out there to humanize the plastic man is a good thing, and a good start on ‘neutralizing’ the narrative, and even turning it around to advantage. Although of course it’s not an all-encompassing strategy.

Fenris on April 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I’ve heard about getting hit with the ugly stick, but it appears the whole damn forest attacked Ms. O’Neill.

bw222 on April 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I’m sure Ann Romney worked very hard … scheduling the maids, hiring the tutors, etc.

From the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ann-romney-defends-role-as-stay-at-home-mom-after-democratic-pundits-remarks/2012/04/12/gIQACeopDT_story_1.html

“On Thursday, a Romney aide said that when their five sons were growing up, the family had no nannies, no cooks and a once-a-week housecleaner.”

Seriously, Democrats are really good at finding Republicans’ “old help.” If the Romneys had all of this household staff, I am sure that the Libs can put their money where their moufs are at produce them….with sobs stories…of course.

Resist We Much on April 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Has anybody noticed that the leader of the National Organization of Women uses the masculine spelling of her first name?

Terri vs. Terry?

I bet she likes to be called “Pat” sometimes, too.

BobMbx on April 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Ann Romney is being targeted. Its time to defend our own.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Let Anne Coulter defend her.

TheAlamos on April 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM

WyoMike on April 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

The Obama, Biden, Holder and the rest of the Dems would seem to want to pull us all back into the 60′s. Back into the heydey of the civil rights marches, women’s movement, labor strikes, etc. Back to the glory days when the Democrat party actually had something to sell and an audience willing to listen. Today, they have to manufacture these lame arguments and issues in order to get anyone outside the MSM to actually care about the Dem party.

HoosierStateofMind on April 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM

“Life experience” to liberal women means having one or more abortions. “Imagination” means thinking of the various ways to butcher the baby.

Liberals think of nothing else (well, besides race that is. They’re always thinking about race).

darwin on April 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

This is all just a variation of the theme that unless you think and believe in lockstep with them on virtually everything, you are not one of them, proving yet again that liberals are the true Intolerants.

PatriotGal2257 on April 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Lefties are pure scum. We need to bury these bastids NOW.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Yeah, that’s right. She’s nothing like me. She couldn’t possibly imagine childbirth, struggling to make ends meet, studying and working with lots of distractions and a baby to attend to. She couldn’t possibly know about weighing how best to use one’s education to benefit the family. Oh wait, she did all those things.

She couldn’t know about trying to keep it together with periods of physical debilitation, or worry for the future. She couldn’t know about efforts to connect with church and community, speaking or writing about anything of importance beyond babywipes and shoes.
It’s absolutely abnormal to be married to one man for over twenty years and expect to always, on one’s own side at the very least, to remain that way – and to depend upon his love and protection as he depends upon my love and devotion.

Only wait – that last bit does make her kind of a freak. The only way to be truly free and understand women is to understand their need to be brides of the state.

SarahW on April 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Ann Romney is being targeted. Its time to defend our own.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Or let Romney’s money and machinery defend her wife. Surely, Romney can buy NOW.

TheAlamos on April 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM

honestly I could care less about this silly story, but these comments are hilarious.

Ann Romney is being targeted. Its time to defend our own.

SparkPlug

Millionaire house wives UNITE!!!

Zekecorlain on April 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

You’re not using “envy”? To the extent Romney is vulnerable on the class warfare issue, it has nothing to do with Sarah Palin, except among the few here and about who are still aggrieved by situations which had nothing to do with Romney. How about focusing these questions at John McCain? Nicole Wallace worked for him, not Mitt.

Meanwhile, Team Romney responded brilliantly to the attacks on Ann. Was that because Mitt went to Harvard? Is it Ann’s fault Palin didn’t go to Harvard? If Ann had a degree from Brigham Young instead of finishing her education at Harvard via its extension program, do you think people wouldn’t be defending her? This all strikes me as being very silly, populist nonsense.

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I think they’re now turning this into a class warfare, it isn’t so much that women in general who don’t work lack life experience or imagination, it’s the WEALTHY women they have a problem with. Barrack Obama…the most divisive president EVER. So divisive he’s got women defending themselves against attacks from other women. Unbelievable.

scalleywag on April 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM

By the way, isn’t it the soundbite that it’s Palin who is obnoxious to women voters and Romney has good standing with the women?

So why waist a bandwidth with this issue?

Bwahahaha!

Obama wins 2012! That’s envitable Republicans.

“Extremist” conservatives like me, stay away!

TheAlamos on April 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM

This is a fraudulent organization. I wrote to them years ago, why no word on how muslim women are treated, stoning, genital mutilation, etc. Crickets… Then with the treatment of Sarah Palin, I think someone finally grudgingly said something.. They really should change their name to Natl Org of Liberal Women..

reshas1 on April 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM

“My friend Jonathan Martin of Politico…”

You’re a better man than me, Ed.

ncjetsfan on April 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Translated from the language of Eugenics, the language of Progressives, she has not killed any of her children, ergo has no real experience.

Hening on April 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM

So why waist a bandwidth with this issue?

Bwahahaha!

Obama wins 2012! That’s envitable Republicans.

“Extremist” conservatives like me, stay away!

TheAlamos on April 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM

And yeah! waist, not waste! Bwahahaha!

Freaking primaries.

TheAlamos on April 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Oblamer said it’s dirty to go after a spouse or family…

Wagthatdog on April 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM

bw222 on April 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Of course not. First of all, Mama T belongs to the “Correct” political Party, and second, Maria Teresa Thierstein Simões Ferreira is not American like Ann Romney is.

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Is the lack of experience the reason Obama can’t relate to Americans? I guess with growing up in a foreign country with parents who hate America provides a better home environment for developing an understanding of America! lol

dahni on April 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Fenris on April 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM

One of Mitt’s asset’s is his wife, and indeed this democrat misjudgment by Rosen and Dunn, may staunch the bleeding with Independents and Women – By having Ann Romney behave as a shield. It’s not a good sign that it’s going to take Ann Romney to humanize her husband or to have to stand out front to deflect attacks.

Obviously Ann Romney is a strong women. However it’s past time for the strong women to be relieved from the front line of the republican’s defense. If Mitt Romney wants to relate to the rest of us (score points) he needs to show everyone that he’s wearing the Daddy pants, and put the nags in the democrat’s campaign bullpen in their place.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM

If NOW says it, it MUST be true since they have the same credibility as ACORN, the New Black Panther Party, the Mafia and Al Gore.

MaiDee on April 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM

By “life experience” they actually mean the dysfunctional lefty lifestyle that characterizes so many of these people.

By “worked for pay outside the home” they actually mean they can’t relate to someone who sacrifices their own dreams and ambitions and pours their life into others for a greater good.

Bottom line, Mrs. Romney is a happy and selfless individual that doesn’t relate well to the emotionally screwed up, selfish, marxist, victims in our society, so they MUST HATE her. The left’s misery loves company!

ClanDerson on April 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Awwwww Shucks …
Thanks for the job endorsement, but read a book or two first.
Yer not from planet Xenon too, are ya?
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Ya got me!!!!

Afterall, I have not read your required “reading” material,
I’ve simply dealt with Mormons in real life situations,
charities, etc…..but you are a better man than I for reading about em! Take a bow!

ToddPA on April 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM

“However it’s past time for the strong women to be relieved from the front line of the republican’s defense.”

Truer words …, and it’s been going on for a long time. Elected Republican Men=Wimps, girly men.

ncjetsfan on April 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM

This all strikes me as being very silly, populist nonsense.

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Of course it does, and that’s why Romney is polling behind. It doesn’t matter what strikes you as silly (Mitt’s got your demographic). Mitt’s competing with the voting demographic that’s up for grabs, and guess what he’s not doing well relating to those people, meanwhile his surrogates are busy alienating them. It’s the reality on the ground not your opinion of populism that counts.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM

As Rosengate cum ‘O’Neill-Rosengate’ continues to make clear the long-term, ongoing ‘War on Women’ is being waged by “womyn” and their male sycophants…

These leftist womyn and their barely-tolerated-male supporters truly hate conservative women.

The treatment of Sarah Palin and her children was and is indicative of the fear and dread felt by womyn like Rosen/O’Neill feel that Palin, Ann Romney and all women like them are a threat to the very basis of their hateful, exclusionary, elitist beliefs.

DrDeano on April 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Not only did she raise five kids, she was active in her church, active in charities, and was the wife of an executive which means she had the job of supporting him in his business. To pretend that she does not have life experience or imply that she sat at home and did nothing is nuts and dishonest.

Blake on April 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Should have been, Elected Establishment Republican Men=Wimps, girly men.

ncjetsfan on April 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I’ve said it here before – I’ll NEVER forgive the GOP for the way they ignored the attacks on Sarah Palin. Thanks for putting such a nice fine point on the reason why, Dr Evil.

Harbingeing on April 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

ncjetsfan on April 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM

It annoys me that Ann Romney is being put in the position she is. I am sure she knows what they were taking on when Mitt decided to run, I don’t think she’s naive or gullible. I am just past tired of watching strong women in front taking the brunt, and the men pulling on their collars, and murmuring about civility.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I admit to not having studiously read the post and the thread comments, but my gut reaction is that (1) Obama’s campaign must be really, really fragmented if they cannot control their minions and agents from running their mouths like this so soon after teh Rosen gaffe or (2) their internal polling must show them sucking wind with disenchanted liberal wimmin folk.

The War Planner on April 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM

So it’s not that you don’t think Romney doesn’t plan, it’s that you don’t like his plan. We already knew that Romney doesn’t come across as a down to earth guy, there’s no changing that at his age. So he does what he can on that issue.

I wish Romney did and believed all sorts of conservative things, but it ain’t happening. In the end, actual issues are more important, this is mostly emotional posturing. I say that even though I literally believe the cliche that being a mother is the most important job in the world. But I think most politicians who say that don’t actually believe it.

Fenris on April 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

“Ann Romney has never, has not worked for pay outside the home a day in her life?”

Notice how they are not saying “worked for pay” now because they found out she was a community organizer and has done lots of charity work just like Obama, but unlike him she didn’t ask to be paid for her work.

JeffinSac on April 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

@terryoneill is her twitter…send her a big FU.

rubberneck on April 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Keep it classy, Obowma.

Odd that the lamestream media doens’t call out Mochelle Obowma for not working?

The real question is what life experience has Obowma had?

Attended a private school in Hawaii.
Attended Occidental College in LA. paid by whom?
Attended Harvard Law school paid by whom?
A community agitator?
A Chicago law school lecturer?
A state senator in Illinois that supported infanticide?

dthorny on April 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

This all strikes me as being very silly, populist nonsense.

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM

This, people, is the libturd talking point du jour. (That’s French by the way)

I sincerely hope you libs keep thinking this way. Your continued ignorance of what matters to Americans will guarantee a total drubbing in November.

It appears the wireless is still out of commission.

dogsoldier on April 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

One theme that keeps coming up is the idea that Romney should have defended Sarah Palin back in the day when she was being attacked for not staying home with her kids. I’m trying to figure out why exactly it would fall to Romney to come to Sarah Palin’s defense. If anybody it should have been McCain and his people be we all know now that they hated Palin (actually hated the fact that she provided the excitement on the ticket).

Happy Nomad on April 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

If I was scared of one of them trying to kick the crap out on me, I would be far more afraid of Ann than Mitt.

bw222 on April 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

No offense, but why are so many dem women so darn unattractive? I really think that is the basis for the whole war on conservative women. Common jealousy.

ctmom on April 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Fenris on April 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I agree in voting substance over emotion. How many Obama voters do you think vote substance :)

That’s how democrats operate, they use emotion to APPEAL to women voters, they are not trying to engage women on a substantive level.

I can tell that every flag Anita Dunn has run up on this bogus republican war on women is a false flag….but I’m not a democrat voter…this isn’t about those of us who are paying attention. This is about that group of voters out there, who use a different litmus for voting, and sometimes that includes “emotional” appeal.

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

scalleywag on April 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Bingo. This isn’t about whether Ann Romney is able to relate to women because she is a stay-at-home mom. This is about the fact that she hasn’t financially been ‘down for the struggle’ as a woman and for that reason cannot relate to the realities a majority of women (stay at home or not) face in this country. This is ALL about class warfare.

KickandSwimMom on April 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM

bw222 on April 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I do think Ann’s son’s are up to meeting them in a dim lit parking lot LOL!

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Happy Nomad on April 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Republicans saw Sarah Palin as a charasmatic, dynamic, powerful, beautiful woman who could go toe to toe with anyone and Mitt, like the rest of the establishment, was more than happy to sit back and watch the MSM destroy her.

bw222 on April 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM

You can’t be serious. Ever try to get some charity from the Mormon Church?
I bet not or you would never say such a thing.
(if you aren’t a ‘member’, they aint gonna give you spit)
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on April 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Did you not read the beginning of my post? For years I was on the end of the “Mormon Church” that would pay for peoples utility bills, car payments, insurance, etc. My wife was Relief Society President (as was “The Rock”s) and she would arrange for them to get food orders.

Yes, the LDS Church does focus on its members, but have you not seen where they have been the first ones in when a hurricane hits, or an area is flooded, with relief?

There was a mayor of some city that the church went in to help (matching yellow shirts, stand out like a sore thumb). Afterward, the mayor said that “there were only two organizations, two churches, that came to help us in our time of need. They are the Mormon Church and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

I was also on the receiving end of church welfare. For about 6 months I was unemployeed. We had enough saved (lived below our means) to pay for mortgage and other things, but our Bishop insisted that we get on the food delivery program as that would help us stretch our funds.

Now we have had some members come into the Bishopric and ask for help, and when we counsel them to give up their cable TV and sell their third car, they balk. When we ask them to come in and clean the chapel on Saturday so Sunday services it will be clean, they don’t show up.

Those people, honestly, don’t deserve a helping hand.

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Finally a post I can completely agree with, and so we can part amicably.

Fenris on April 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM

JeffinSac on April 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Check out her record as First Lady of Massachusetts. Charity and Community work galore.

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I think I saw Terry in the Mens Room.

lhuffman34 on April 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM

All of the attention to Rosen’s “never worked” comment means that other flaws in her argument are being overlooked.

Here’s how she quoted Romney in her original comments:

“My wife has the occasion, as you know, to campaign on her own and also with me,” Romney told newspaper editors, “and she reports to me regularly that the issue women care about most is the economy.”

And here’s her next paragraph:

“So it begs the question, is Ann Romney Mitt’s touchstone for women who are struggling economically or not? Nothing in Ann Romney’s history as we have heard it–hardworking mom she may have been–leads me to believe that Mitt has chosen the right expert to get feedback on this problem he professes to be so concerned about.” [my emphasis]

That’s the classic “straw man” technique. Exactly where does Romney say that his wife is his “touchstone” or “expert” on economic issues affecting women? As quoted by Rosen, here’s what he said, again:

“My wife has the occasion, as you know, to campaign on her own and also with me, and she reports to me regularly that the issue women care about most is the economy.” [my emphasis]

Okay, so Ann Romney has never been a working, economically-struggling mother. How does that invalidate the feedback she can provide to her husband on these issues?

Eleanor Roosevelt, being able to get out and around a bit more handily than FDR could, was a great conduit of information to her husband. His biographers and hers note her great influence on him and the policies of his administration. She was a tribune of the poor and a voice for black Americans long before that sort of thing was fashionable. But of course, she had never been poor, nor had she been black, so what did she know?

Rosen, describing herself as a “pundit,” has conceded that her words were poorly chosen. Indeed, and of the same quality as her logic. She actually makes a living in PR?

Owen Glendower on April 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM

The Obama administration is going to keep distancing itself from people saying this stuff, but various dem groups will keep saying it until it becomes a meme.

I’m sure they’ll have plenty of willing help from the hardcore ABR types.

Swerve22 on April 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Paid jobs I have had since the age of eight:

1. Childcare: starting at age 8- I babysat for thousands of hours during my youth and as soon as I began HomeMaking and Mothering in 1988, most of the working mothers in my life saw a blinking sign on my forehead that said “cheap, affordable day care provider”. Most of the dozens of Mothers who requested I tend their children were told “No, I am not a day care provider”, but occasionally, when we needed the money, I would tend a baby along with my own five children.
2. Detroit News Paper Route: age 10
3. Secretary in Dads Birmingham Mich. State Farm Insurance office: age 14
4. Walled Lake Michigan Macdonalds restaurant: age 16
5. Medical Assistant in Birmingham Mi. doctors gastrointerology office: age 17
*Each of the jobs I worked during the age of nineteen lasted three to four months  because I lived in three different states.
6. Provo Utah Macdonalds: age 19
7. Motel Maid: Holiday Motel West Yellowstone Montana: age 19
8. Seamstress at West Yellowstone Montana Dress Shop: age 19
9. Home Cleaning in Provo Utah: age 19
10. Actor Playmill Theatre in West Yellowstone Montana: age 19
11.  Waitress Appeteaser Restaurant Birmingham Michigan: age 19
12. Mothers Helper/Nanny for family of six children: age 20
13. Bradley Childbirth Educator/Doula: Age 21 to 29
14. Cloth Diaper/Sling Salesperson: Age 21 to 29
15. Sunrider, Shaklee, Young Living, doTERRA, and Alpine Distributor: age 21 to present (over the years I worked a variety of networking businesses.)
16. Book Author/Writer and eventually a Mom Blogger: age 30 to present
17. Janitor at Cain Travel in Boulder Co: Age 31
18. Suddenly Slender body wrapper at day spa in Broomfield Co: age 31
19. Child care worker/kid dance educator at Rallysport Health and Fitness Club in Boulder Co: age 32
20. Part time para educator at Coal Creek Elementary school in Louisville Co: age 33
21. Director of Musical Theatre Camp at Peak to Peak Charter School: age 40
22. Chik fil A restaurant in Broomfield Co: age 41

Please note the “Paid Jobs” do NOT include the thousands of hours spent raising my five children (including 7 years of Homeschooling and 13 years of on demand LLL style breastfeeding), volunteering for my community, church, schools, and neighborhood, and/or the many classes I have taught for free on Provident Living, Family Preparedness, and Self Reliance. (I am considered an expert teacher and consultant in these self taught skills)

True, most of the jobs I have worked were typically for three to four months as a window of opportunity would open up and I would work for money. And no benefits were ever offered or expected from my employers.  My husband has always been employed as an IT engineer and we have always had Insurance, and a monthly income.

I share my work history out of a desire to illustrate that although some would like to catagorize me as one of those uppermiddleclass woman who has no clue what the real working world looks like and thus has no right to speak out on the economic issues facing mothers, I do have a lifetime of experience as a working mother, working both in my home and out of my home while raising a family.

I would invite those of you Mothers reading this to also share your work experiences in and out of your home so that people like Ms. Rosen can have a better idea what “full time” homemakers do with our precious time.

Jenny Hatch

JennyHatch on April 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Happy Nomad on April 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Republicans should only defend other republicans “selectively” ??? based on association ??? That will be helpful to win the Presidency in November and get the U.S. Senate leadership back LOL!

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I’m short on time here – BUT – I think it’s long overdue for Strong Conservative Women to come to the front line to defend the much maligned American Male. Men have been under seige culturally in this country for a generation, to the point where a lot of men have given up defending themselves for being male. Look at all the commercials, tv shows, movies etc. where men are always depicted negatively – stupid, violent, dishonest, abusive etc – it’s been a relentless onslaught for at least 25-30 years.

Where have the strong women been for all those years?

Harbingeing on April 13, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Where have the strong women been for all those years?

Harbingeing on April 13, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Apparently raising their children :)

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Tee Hee

Rush just said “If I had a daughter she would look like Ann Romney.”

*giggle*

Nana on April 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I can honestly say that I was never a *strong* Romney supporter. In fact I still mourn for what Perry could have been. However this attack on his wife is actually making me feel more protective over the Romneys.

While I’m sure that Mitt has to despise attacks like this on his wife, they do offer an opportunity. This attack, coming right after Santorum dropped out of the race will act as a great unifying tool around Mitt for the republican base.

NYCChris on April 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I am blown away by this…There’s no way the Dems can be this stupid right? ……Right?

If this keeps up we’re looking at 57 state sweep in November

1984 in real life on April 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I wonder if Ann Romney thinks she can totally relate to regular Americans – those who live off paychecks, etc.
I bet she even she knows there’s a gap in her understanding there.
But you guys have to actually suggest there isn’t?
Why do you all feel a need to apologize for her immense wealth and the easier life it brings?
I think someone needs to pass around those ‘rich people are awesome and we should be jealous of them’ talking points y’all riffed off from the last time the Romneys wealth was debated.

verbaluce on April 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Face it, neither the Owebamas or the Romneys are hurting financially. That being said, has anyone attacked Mrs. Owebama Harvard Grad for making $300,000 a year instead of staying home with her children? Did anyone attack Owebama because he made the choice to be an under-paid Community Organizer instead of getting a real job? Has Owebama pleaded with his base to stop the horrific attacks on Ann Romney on Twitter? Is the Owebama campaign ashamed, chastising and trying to cut off the Twitter privileges of the Owebama base calling Ann Romney every ugly, nasty name in the book? Will Owebama be calling Ann Romney to tell her that he’s sure her parents are proud of her?

And yes, I’ll agree that the GOP elite do NOT defend their candidates and even the candidates do not defend themselves effectively. They wrongly believe the American public is smart enough to figure it out for themselves. Of course most conservatives do, but the fringe Democrats don’t and therefore the GOP remains stagnant and doesn’t even encourage and infuse its base.

katablog.com on April 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM