NOW president: Ann Romney lacks “life experience” and “imagination” to relate to most Americans

posted at 10:26 am on April 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Via Newsbusters, NOW President Terry O’Neill ignores the First Rule of Holes (stop digging!) and provides another cycle for Republicans to defend Ann Romney and stay-at-home moms.  Instead of leaving bad enough alone, O’Neill appeared on Ed Schultz’ MSNBC show last night and attempted to rewrite Hilary Rosen’s faceplant and keep the attack on Ann Romney for not having a salaried job in the workforce as a means to paint the Romneys as out of touch.  Say, remember when feminism meant supporting the choices of women and defending them from being marginalized and demeaned?  Good times, good times:

TERRY O’NEILL: What would we be saying if Hillary Clinton had said this: that Ann Romney has never, has not worked for pay outside the home a day in her life?  That’s my understanding that’s an accurate statement, and that raises the exact issue that Hilary Rosen was trying to get to, which is do Mr. & Mrs. Romney have the kind of life experience and if not, the imagination, to really understand what most American families are going through right now? I think that that was what Hilary was getting out, and so she left out the words “for pay outside the home.”

Stick around to the end to see Rep. Maxine Waters keep it classy by calling the presumptive Republican nominee “Mitt Rot-ney,” but O’Neill is the real show here.  Once again, we get to see the professional Left’s utter disdain for women who chose to stay home with their children rather than work in the workplace.  Do they also lack “life experience” and “imagination”?  Are their political and economic views also irrelevant?  Is a woman’s worth entirely measured by her salary?  Is that the official position of NOW?  If so, then perhaps they may want to think about an official name change.

My friend Jonathan Martin of Politico commented on Twitter about how quickly the Right embraced grievance politics in this instance.  It’s a worthwhile point, and this can certainly get overplayed, but it ignores a couple of other points.  First, Democrats have been accusing the GOP of conducting a “war on women” since February of last year, when DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz explicitly made that accusation, and which VP Joe Biden reiterated last night — on the same show, despite claims from Democrats earlier in the day that they never indulged in that language:

Vice President Joe Biden said tonight that what he called a Republican-led effort to rollback the rights of women is “real” and will “intensify.”

“I think the ‘war on women’ is real,” Biden told MSNBC’s “The Ed Show,” deploying the politically-charged phrase for the first time on the national stage.

“And look, I’ll tell you when it’s going to intensify – the next president of the United States is going to get to name one, possibly two or more, members to the Supreme Court,” he added.

The grievance fight in this case has been under way for fourteen months, so to blame the Right for responding is a little odd.  Also, Rosen took a swipe at a candidate’s wife, as O’Neill did again last night.  Once again, don’t blame the Right for responding to it.

Update: Democrats claim to be backing away from the “war on women” rhetoric, but neither Biden nor their merchandisers have gotten the message.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Are both NOW President Terry O’Neill and Hilary Rosen lesbian women? It appears that NOW is so filled with Radical females that it seems to have turned its back on traditional women who honor the traditional family.

sinsing on April 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Thisis from another blogger, thought it germaine.

JWB

Kaysville, UT

Ann Romney has been the wife of a Governor, the head of the 2002 Winter Olympics and of an effective and very efficient businessman. She was the wife of a Stake President and Bishop besides having her own callings along the way in the LDS Church and supporting many activities over the years with five children. Most women don’t have that kind of responsibility and unpaid responsibility in most of the cases. She still had to meet all the schedules of a busy family along with the formal activities required of a spouse (unfunded mandate) in any governmental, church and volunteer organization. The rigors of the campaigns she has been involved with since the 1990s and her MS illness is such a pioneer spirit to keep on going. These people that defame her and attempt to deride her are out of bounds if they had any knowledge of what all these things involved that she has devoted her life to. Mrs. Romney displays the highest dignity and integrity and should not be questioned about those things she has done in her life to better humanity and our nation’s goals set by our founding fathers. She is pure American.

Bambi on April 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM

NOW and the other Lefties cannot control their anger at seeing their Muslim-in-Chief’s brief occupancy of the WH coming to an end.

They are watching themselves self destruct under the weight of their hatred for anything Republican. For anything American. For any view that’s not their own.

This will not end well for democrats, and they know it.

RWRFAN on April 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Sorry, I can’t watch that sicko maxine waters – I can’t understand how she can be voted in again and again – no accounting for some brainless voters.

Bambi on April 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM

It’s these bra burners from some other era who are out of touch.

Red Creek on April 13, 2012 at 3:49 PM

“That is gona be the issues…” –the ‘intelligent’ left speaks.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 3:53 PM

TERRY O’NEILL: What would we be saying if Hillary Clinton had said this: that Ann Romney many a welfare mom has never, has not worked for pay outside the home a day in her life?

Just sayin…

RalphyBoy on April 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM

There are some women who hate their own biology and bitterly
resent that society has traditionally expected them to take
up roles of childbearing and child nuturing. They are jealous
of the wealth and prestige traditionally given to men.
This leads them on the one hand to treat men with ridicule
and contempt, and on the other, on the other to assiduously attempt to turn themselves into neutered copies of men in
order to claim tieir wealth and privilege. They demand social approval and public funding of policies (abortion, contraception, homosexual activity) that will let them do so. In their arrogance, they claim to speak for all women, while they treat those they do not speak for with even more rididule and contempt than they give to the men who flatter them. They do not see that they are being exploited by men for political advantage, and that the men who so use them will discard them as soon as they become a burden instead. It appears to be this group of women who dominate the NOW.

There are others who accept the burden of sacrifice and
responsibility associated with childbearing and childrearing
are too busy feeding the future to compete in the marketplace
or the political arena. They do not feel obliged to demean
the men they need to guard and provide for them while they
are doing so. There is a powerful head of resentment for
decades of being marginalized and ridiculed by the wealthy,
privileged activists who choose not to bear children or
who hand off the responsibility to lower-class servitors. NOW
and its political influence are dry tinder ready to burn.

Confutus on April 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Hillary and Hilary

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM

What percentage of these women on the left have been married? Then as long as Ann and Mitt Romney?

What percentage of them have had more than one child?

What percentage of them clamored for “equality” in the work place only to take secure jobs in education and the public sector?

What percentage of them love to spend OPM (other people’s money) yet rarely donate to charity?

I lived through the ’70′s feminist stuff. The real reason jobs opened up for women? The USA went from a manufacturing powerhouse (which we still are but the jobs are quite different – not so many human assembly lines anymore – robot driven) to an information powerhouse. The job environment changed – not for all but for a large percentage of US workers. And these service jobs were open to men and women.

NOW – just not worth it – another example of the “take care of me” mindset – send me YOUR money to pay ME for finding fault with most everything.

Oh, well -

MN J on April 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM

BD is a very intelligent and courageous dame, just hot-headed, and in ‘love’ with Romney. 98% of her is brilliant and you can live with the 2%. The latter has noble aims, just not so noble styling.

Schadenfreude on April 13, 2012 at 2:30 PM

And behind all that curmudgeonly cynicism we find Cyrano de Bergerac! That’s very gallant (and sweet). You’ve blown your cover!

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Yeah but it’s true, and BD probably didn’t have enough coffee yet this morning or we would have a gotten a good and proper slapping about :)

Dr Evil on April 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I hope also that I’m misunderstanding you when I interpret you as seeming to suggest (1) Romney supporters are principally motivated by their religious denominations; or (2) when their religion is attacked as a means of attacking Romney, they should shut up and take it.

DrSteve on April 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM

My post makes sense only if you’ve read or been a part of a discussion with some of the posters here, who are Mormons. Context. If you’ve not been there, you wouldn’t understand.

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Please keep talking dem lib DC women – each time you open your piehole Romney collects more women voters. I cannot imagine this plays well in Ohio or Missouri. I smell a blowout coming – and what will the national dems do then? Romney gets two SC appointees, plus replaces a conservative one.

Zomcon JEM on April 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Portia46 on April 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Thank you – I sincerely thank you – for the reminder to be very careful about what in my life I deem worthy of whining about.

GGMac on April 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Mormons?

Gunlock Bill on April 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM

huh? Are you saying I should/could whine about Mormons? If that is what you’re saying, why? Mormons are free to believe whatever they want, as are people of all religions. What other people believe is of no consequence in my personal Christian spiritual life, and is only of any consequence to my life in general if their religious tenets call for them to slaughter those I love, those I don’t love, or those I don’t even know, or my fellow US citizens, or Israel, or….you get my gist.

As far as I know or have ever heard, Mormons have in no way ever suggested non-Mormons should be slaughtered for disagreeing with their beliefs, and therefore Romney’s religion is a non-issue.

Obama, on the other hand…

GGMac on April 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I’m not sure about comparing attacks on Sarah Palin with Ann Romney.

The left attacks Sarah Palin on everything and anything.

TerryW on April 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Give ‘em time. This thing is just starting and they’ll do everything they can to Palinize Ann Romney.

Harbingeing on April 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Are you saying I should/could whine about Mormons?

That is what Portlyia whines about all the time, thus the question.

What other people believe is of no consequence in my personal Christian spiritual life, . . .

GGMac on April 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

It sure bothers Portlyia.

Glad to see you are reasonable.

Gunlock Bill on April 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Mrs. Jackal here:
Liberal women hating on Conservative women is nothing new and is full of lies. What Ms Rosen and Ms O’Neill said about Mrs. Romeny is nothing compared to what has been said about Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachman.

As a woman, as a Homemaker & SAHM (37 years now [and yes I've been employed at times during those 37 years]) and as a Conservative woman I take umbridge at this:

And we didn’t have the luxury for her [Michelle] not to work.

[Barack Obama April 2012]

n 1997 – Obama was a State Senator, was a Senior Lecturer at UofC Law School and sat on the boards of the Woods Foundation, the Joyce Foundation and the Chicago Annenberg Challange.
Not to mention that he had already ‘written’ Dreams From My Father (1995). All of this BEFORE either one of their children were BORN.

Their 2007 net worth was in excess of $1.3 million (2007, Money magazine estimate (via Wikipedia).
Just a mere 10 years later.

In 1988 – I was living in a 3 bedroom apartment 3rd floor walk-up in Germany with 3 children and another on the way with a hubby who was gone for 278 days that year – alone, away from family and pregnant in a few hundred sq foot apartment. Doing it all, alone and on $12,468/yr income.

In 1997 – I was living in KY (in a $53,000, 1300 sq foot house) on a SSG salary in the US Army ($24,108/yr). Four children and I had the privilege of staying home. 2007 was the last time I was employed.

Luxury – I always thought Obama was stupid, now I realize how dumb he really is. And how much of liar he is. And how much he hates women.

And I read Ms Rosen lives in a 5500 sq ft home – if you add together all the homes I’ve owned (3 – the military life just doesn’t enable home ownership) – I’d still need another home to equal it (4600 total sq ft for all 3 homes). I can’t afford the (obvious) maid(s) she has nor the ‘yard’ person – I do my own mowing (hubby can’t do it, any more).

Let any of them come live my experience – 4 unemployed adults (2 disabled) living in 1900 sq ft home with 2 cars (10 years and 17 years old) trying to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table with just a military pension and a son on SSI (he pays his own medical bills & food). Jan 2010 was the last year my hubby was employed.

Now that’s a compelling story. Which all of these hateful people will ignore.

BTW, don’t all the welfare ‘mommies’ – also – never work a day in their lives? Where is the hate on them?

Liars. Hypocrites. Elites.

jackal40 on April 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Who gives a crap what a bunch of militant lesbians say about any one. These are the folks who say any sex between a man and woman is rape…tell me who the radicals are. If all women were militant lesbians like the NOW sisterhood our species would end in one generation…again, who are the radicals? Who is out of touch with reality and the American people. One guess…militant lesbians…

Doomsday on April 13, 2012 at 5:36 PM

One theme that keeps coming up is the idea that Romney should have defended Sarah Palin back in the day when she was being attacked for not staying home with her kids. I’m trying to figure out why exactly it would fall to Romney to come to Sarah Palin’s defense. If anybody it should have been McCain and his people be we all know now that they hated Palin (actually hated the fact that she provided the excitement on the ticket).

Happy Nomad on April 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Missed this earlier. Exactly right. They’ve kvetching because (allegedly) Mitt didn’t defend her. Apparently they assume he and Ann are up on what the N.O.W. are up to. How the hell would they know about these attacks? They don’t follow NOW or blogs or whatever niche markets this story would have fermented in. It’s a ridiculous, unreasonable demand….

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM

You know what’s really out of touch? Using several planes to fly your family to luxury vacation accommodations, at the taxpayers’ expense. Flying the dog separately with the “body man.” Lavish vacations in Spain. (I’m not going to try to count the frequent fancy vacations.) Having the French government open private boutiques for you on Sunday. Serving wagyu beef at fancy dinners while the country faces a financial crisis. Frequent celebrity-studded galas at the White House. Sending your young teen to Mexico with her friends from Sidwell Friends for spring break. Telling lower and middle class women to pass up good paying jobs to work for the public good. Wearing $540 sneakers to “feed the poor.” Saying that $600 is a pittance and encouraging women to spend it on a pair of earrings…

I’m sure the rest of you have your own favorite MO out of touch moments.

obladioblada on April 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM

The world is upside down.

We should not seek ideas and advice from people who are successful at life. Instead the only opinions that matter are from people who suck at life. Great message NOW.

Scrappy on April 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Man
They must be really worried about Ann Romney’s appeal. There must be a poll or something they seen where her favorability is better then moochele. I like it, I smell a lot of fear, and after Ann basically destroyed this war on woman thing, they must pooping their pants

Conservative4ev on April 13, 2012 at 6:09 PM

No, Ms. O’Neill, YOUR the ONE with NO CLUE!!

mmcnamer1 on April 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I still insist the WH has some devastating internal polls they have their grubby little hands on – Obama has been smelling like desperation for a week now. Rasmussen today = Romney 48% Obama 44%
added to yesterday’s Fox Poll = Romney 46% Obama 44%
I wish I could go to sleep for 6 months and wake up to these polls and then go out and vote…..

BabysCatz on April 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM

jackal40 on April 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Bravo!

pannw on April 14, 2012 at 12:45 AM

jackal40 on April 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Mrs. Jackal, thank you for sharing. Please do publish your story in your major local paper. They should help you make it go viral, if they are not lefties.

Schadenfreude on April 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

As a woman engineer for 32 years (one of two in a group of 100) I long ago realized that NOW was clueless and had/has no concern for REAL women.

DanvilleMom on April 14, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Yes, and I’m sure that the Syrian government claims that they are observing the “cease-fire”, too. And with the same degree of sincerity, no doubt.

These people lie for a living, because they know that their base will buy it and these days their base is the only group of people that they’re communicating to.

Spurius Ligustinus on April 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Schadenfreude on April 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I’d take your advice – but we’d have a better chance of winning the lottery!
Mrs. Jackal

jackal40 on April 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I am a registered nurse, and worked outside the home until I was 32. Then I quit to become a full time homemaker, due to the birth of my 4th child.

I never lived in a home larger than 1300 square feet, nor did I ever have a maid. My husband brought in a salary well below the 100,000 mark, as well. You don’t have to be the daughter of privilege to do these things. You just have to be a good economist, and willing to do without some of the luxuries that these witches would never consider giving up just for a child.

These Democrat activist women haven’t a clue what they are talking about, nor do they grasp that they are alienating a huge number of middle class women who do not espouse their radical views. I have nothing but respect for Ann Romney, raising 5 boys while battling breast cancer and MS. I was fortunate. I raised a total of 7 children, all ours, but I never had the additional challenges that she faced. All of them are upstanding citizens, not one is on welfare, or has ever been in jail.

I see the children of privilege sitting around in their own filth at Occupy encampments, whining for the rest of us to give them all the goodies they want and pay for their tuition, and I wonder if their parents are proud of them. It wouldn’t surprise me if they were.

Selfish and entitled is as selfish and entitled does. But I wouldn’t want any of them in a foxhole with me.

hachiban on April 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Stay at home Mom’s know more about the economy than 99% of the politicians. Who figures out what to buy on the grocery lists? Writes the checks, how and what to buy for the children’s clothing, takes the children to the doctors, balances the home budget, makes the call on birthday and wedding gifts and gets them. Insures the healthy meals? If this is a working Mom it’s an add on to the women of the house. Stay at home Moms are also the taxi service to the extra activities of the kids too. If Pop makes enough money to do all this, that’s great but Mom knows what a loaf of bread costs and sometimes a half gallon of ice cream too. Pop doesn’t know beans but he will be told whither or not when to buy the new lawn mower.

mixplix on April 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

There are millions of Obama supporters who don’t care about this or even AGREE. They only want the freebies Obama has promised.

rpupton on April 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM