Video: There’s a tax for that

posted at 3:26 pm on April 12, 2012 by Tina Korbe

With all the talk of a “war on women” and, now, a “war on moms,” it’d be easy to forget that Americans face a potential tax hike of $494 billion in January 2013. Our good men and women in Congress don’t have to enact that hike. They just have to do what they do best — nothing. Thanks to the scheduled expiration of various tax relief measures, Americans will automatically be slammed with an unprecedented increase in taxes unless Congress does something to stop it. It’s Taxmageddon — and few folks are even talking about it.

Fortunately, Brent Bozell’s online conservative army, ForAmerica, has released a new video that plays on Apple iPhone commercials and reminds us: No matter what we want to do, under Obama, there’s a tax for that. In the coming weeks, as part of a social media campaign to educate voters about the critical issues in the 2012 campaign, ForAmerica will work to keep tax policy front and center.

Obviously, Barack Obama is doing the same thing with his incessant talk about the Buffett Rule: It’s important to remind voters that, with or without that rule, taxes are already going up.

Comments

War on America

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM

The clear and present danger to America is this government.

rplat on April 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

War on Working America

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM

FIFY

PatriotRider on April 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM

we will be successful at taxing ourselves into perpetual prosperity and peace! Why didnt we think of this two centuries ago!

F i love me some damn government!!!!11%

tom daschle concerned on April 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I wish people would also talk about the new Mortgage Tax. Right now it’s 10 basis points only for Fannie and Freddie loans. However, do you think this will 1) get increased 2) expanded to cover all loans.

Funny, there’s a mortgage interest tax deduction and then a mortgage tax. Washington make up your mind?

Oil Can on April 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Soon they will have a zipper tax!
Taxed each time it goes up or comes down

KOOLAID2 on April 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

War on America

Bitter Clinger on April 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM

War on Liberty

In this case, the war on economic Liberty.

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Chip on April 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

“You’re working for no one, but me.” —George Harrison “Taxman”

squint on April 12, 2012 at 3:45 PM

It will happen.

Jan 1 all these taxes will go up nothing will be fixed

gerrym51 on April 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM

The good news is that they will pay about half of a bunch of crap most of us don’t want anyway.

The rest we’ll finance and print money for.

NoDonkey on April 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I liked the ad. Creative way to use the iPod and the existing lexicon to bash zero.

Lost in Jersey on April 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM

They tax the air in England, it’s only a matter of time when it comes here. They’ve sure wanted to do that…Cap & Trade.

kirkill on April 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Go Brent! Doing the work the RNC refuses to do.

kirkill on April 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Fantastic ad/video, and aimed at the right audience… recent college grads. That demographic likely voted enthusiastically for Obama 4 years ago, but now that they see what the “real world” is like under majority-Democrat control, and how “There’s a Tax for that!”, they are likely to consider voting Republican this time around.

Perfect ad. Speaks to the right people, in the right way… with an iPhone, talking about the things that are relevant to them at this point in their life.

Well Done!

ITguy on April 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Really Taxes you say? Who would have thunk it? The government wanted more taxes. I’m completely shocked./ Higher taxes aren’t just created by liberals ya know. Though the majority might well be. Its their stated philosophy.

Bmore on April 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Let me tell you how it will be
There’s one for you, nineteen for me
‘Cause I’m the taxman, yeah, I’m the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don’t take it all
‘Cause I’m the taxman, yeah I’m the taxman

If you drive a car, I’ll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I’ll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I’ll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I’ll tax your feet.

Don’t ask me what I want it for
If you don’t want to pay some more
‘Cause I’m the taxman, yeah, I’m the taxman

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
‘Cause I’m the taxman, yeah, I’m the taxman
And you’re working for no one but me.

- George Harrison Barack Obama

malclave on April 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Soon they will have a zipper tax!
Taxed each time it goes up or comes down

KOOLAID2 on April 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

————————————————
Bill Clinton will go broke.

Machismo on April 12, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I just read through the whole list of tax increases. I’ts scary.
heritage.org

Yitzchokm on April 12, 2012 at 4:40 PM

This ad is MUCH BETTER than anything the RNC has put out so far!!

What does the RNC do with their money?

landlines on April 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Having had one kid reach 16 last year so that I lost a $1K credit right there (do they really cost us $20 a week less when they hit 16), next year I’ll see our SS/MC deductions going back up 2% of income, as well as losing half the other kid’s credit, and whatever we lose because of the marriage penalty, and so our federal taxes will go up by at least $2K for the year. Most weeks I could squeeze another $40 out of the budget if I had to, but with inflation, I don’t expect that cushion to last much longer.

Didn’t they keep asking us “Are you better off now than you were four years ago?” The answer is an emphatic “NO”!

LibraryGryffon on April 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Instead of tax cuts that expire, why don’t we insist they do it other way ’round? How about each and every budget year they have to pass a revenue bill after they pass the budget? (Or before – advantages to each.)

And, it’s not allowed to be “Same as last year, plus .5%” – it has to be totally authorized from scratch each and every year. At a minimum, that should tie up Congress enough they can’t waste time legislating any other harm during their session.

Oh… and Congress doesn’t get paid until both the budget and and the revenue bill get passed and made law.

GWB on April 13, 2012 at 9:27 AM