Quotes of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on April 12, 2012 by Allahpundit

“A moment of silence, please, for a talking point that was taken too soon. The ‘war on women’ began its life in a February 2011 House speech about abortion. After a short life as a Democratic hobby horse, it died during the second week of April 2012. The cause of death: Rosengate, the latest and least explicable battle in the Umbrage Wars…

“As Romney and the RNC fought back, Democrats started to choke. In her fateful CNN appearance, right before she evaluated Ann Romney’s economics cred, Hilary Rosen begged the media to ‘just get rid of this word, ‘war on women.” After all, ‘the Obama campaign does not use it, President Obama does not use it — this is something that the Republicans are accusing people of using.’

“On Thursday, as the Rosen saga unfolded, DNC communications director Brad Woodhouse echoed her plea for peace. ‘I’m not a fan of the term,’ he said in an interview. ‘I mean, I’m sure I’ve probably used it. We all fall into these easy vernaculars … but we in the DNC have not been running a campaign based on the term ‘war on Women.’ That’s a myth cooked up by Republicans.’”

***

“Let’s be clear: Raising children full time is work. Being the spouse who runs the household full time is work. And it’s work that society often doesn’t value or treat with respect. In addition to running their homes and supporting their husband’s endeavors, stay-at-home moms are often the people who keep the school board running, do the volunteering for community activities, and even support the women in their neighborhood who work outside the home. When I was a child, and my archaeologist mother had to work late, guess who watched me? Yep, the stay-at-home mom next door.

“The idea that ‘women’s work’ is indeed valuable to society has long been a contention of feminists, so it’s strange to see a prominent Democrat lash out a stay-at-home mother and wife in this fashion. Feminists have agitated for as long as I can remember for society to value and respect the ‘unpaid work’ that women do in the home and society. The fact that Ann Romney doesn’t struggle financially doesn’t make what she does any less valuable. I suspect there is a lot about how she has contributed to her community that we don’t know.”

***

“Growing up in Michigan, Mrs. Romney pitched in at her father’s company, Jered Industries in Troy, as she has recalled on the campaign trail in February. The firm manufactured heavy machinery for the maritime industry.

“As an adult, Mrs. Romney turned her talents as a chef into something of a small business in Massachusetts. She and a friend held cooking classes for local foodies, according to her son Josh, who described the sessions in a 2007 interview with The New York Times.

“Beyond that, Mrs. Romney has held a number of posts with Boston-area charities and advocacy groups. She was, for example, a director at Best Friends, an organization focused on inner-city girls, and a volunteer instructor at the Mother Caroline Academy, a multicultural middle school in Boston.”

***

“The data, though, don’t support the impression that staying at home is a luxury. A detailed 2010 study by two Census Bureau sociologist, in fact, found the opposite: While stay-at-home motherhood has become less common over time, the women who stay at home are increasingly those whose low education means they can’t earn enough money to making working outside the home worthwhile.

“‘The main effect showed that compared with 1969, women with less than a high school degres were more likely o be a state-at-home mother than women with a high school degree,’ the study’s authors, Rose Kreider and Diana Elliott, wrote, a trend that ‘accentuated in later decades.’…

“‘People think stay-at-home moms are the rich folks,’ Romney supporter Penny Nancy said on a conference call with reporters today. The Romney campaign is betting that perception is wrong, and the statistics back them up.”

***

“‘I think the war on women is real,’ Biden said in an interview he sat for with MSNBC’s Ed Schultz as part of a campaign trip to New Hampshire to talk up the Buffett rule. ‘And, look, I tell you where it’s going to intensify: the next president of the United States is going to get to name one and possibly two or more members of the Supreme Court.’”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Ever ride the King Crimson train?

John the Libertarian on April 13, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Why sure . Love the early Crimson.

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 3:03 AM

I will go with this one!..:)

PS..The intro is classic..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Always dug the Project. Still do. : )

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on April 13, 2012 at 2:50 AM

LoLz..They make a good couple..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Its 3:00 the old man has got to crash. Big day here directly . Great night all in all.

Good Night All.

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Night Bmore, something to sleep by

uncommon sense on April 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Crap , the music so good I don’t want to crash.: ( Got to though 7 will be here shortly. Nice thing about aging. You seem to require less sleep. Just more naps. : )

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM

with that job

uncommon sense on April 13, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Never been sure if my fave VH was Panama or this song, just because it’s so absurd and the Eddie is so mocking with his guitar at the fade out.

John the Libertarian on April 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM

John the Libertarian on April 13, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Good one JtL..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:09 AM

John the Libertarian on April 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM

I would have to say mine is this or this one

uncommon sense on April 13, 2012 at 3:10 AM

here you go

uncommon sense on April 13, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Confusion will be my epitaph.

John the Libertarian on April 13, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Ann is a great mom, as long as the nanny’s do all the dirty work…you know, cooking, cleaning, making the beds, kissing them goodnight, assigning what BMW should park on what elevator door…little things like that.

Uppereastside on April 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Other than the fact you have no clue as to how Ann mothered her children, that was so low rent, it’d be damn near impossible to make yourself look any stupider..

so.. was Rose Kennedy a lousy mother too?… or any of the Kennedy women.. since having money seems to make you liberals believe think they have no parenting abilities..

does this character flaw strike all the rich?

or just the ones who’s politics you hate?

I suspect you can’t help but hate everyone morally superior to yourself.. which does literally mean, everybody.

Are you hoping to get someone to go postal on Michelle in retaliation?.. that does seem to be the goal here,.. say the most hateful things.. then pray somebody give you the stick you crave to use on all republicans.. sorry.. much as I detest the politics of Obama, his lack of character,.. I don’t attack women or children.. that’s what liberals do..

No.. you don’t get your hoped for talking point..

upper, east side… you can move the trailer park into the townhouse… but you can’t shake the trailer trash out of the liberal.. once they taste money, they dress nicer, but stay the shriveled stunted semi-human beings they always were.

mark81150 on April 13, 2012 at 3:10 AM

how about a tune to go with that job

uncommon sense on April 13, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I like it. Or this

arnold ziffel on April 13, 2012 at 3:10 AM

arnold ziffel on April 13, 2012 at 3:10 AM

that works too

uncommon sense on April 13, 2012 at 3:11 AM

uncommon sense on April 13, 2012 at 3:01 AM

John the Libertarian on April 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Those are great VH songs..My fav is this one..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Okay Dire, uncommon and Bmore, I’ve got to get some sleep. But I will leave you with my own personal War on Women.

John the Libertarian on April 13, 2012 at 3:15 AM

What’s wrong with stay at home Moms. Stay at home Moms look at their own kids and, many times, their neighbor’s kids. Weren’t we all told “it takes a village” to raise a child?…

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 3:16 AM

How about a little John Mellencamp? He needs to stay out of politics though and just sing.

arnold ziffel on April 13, 2012 at 3:17 AM

John the Libertarian on April 13, 2012 at 3:15 AM

You must be sleepwalking cuz you certainly are dreaming…

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Those are great VH songs..My fav is this one..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:14 AM

yes, and like Bmore I have to say good night, but this pretty much sums most days

good night all

uncommon sense on April 13, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Although this isn’t bad..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 3:16 AM

These blanks just say whatever they think people will buy at the moment. Unfortunately it too often works—not that they are sharp, we just don’t very often have someone on our side to say WTF, and give it right back to them.

arnold ziffel on April 13, 2012 at 3:20 AM

John the Libertarian on April 13, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Later..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Those are great VH songs..My fav is this one..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Yep. We used to fire that up as we headed out onto the lake in the party barge…

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 3:22 AM

For the Stay at home mom’s.. every kid wishes his mom were one, even if they have to work, every kid believes this about their mom.. that she’s into something good..

mark81150 on April 13, 2012 at 3:23 AM

arnold ziffel on April 13, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Good stuff..But due to time constraints..We try that at a later date..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Did/Do you like Van Hagar??..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Hey all you Mittbot operatives, you have my permission to use this as part of your campaign…

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Weren’t we all told “it takes a village” to raise a child?…

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Yes we were..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:27 AM

mark81150 on April 13, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Oh boy, you must be close in age to me. I remember Shindig. Was Kam Nelson on that or the other afternoon dance show?

Dire, here is one my mom liked when doing housework. My evil dad kept her beat down and was an evil republican.

arnold ziffel on April 13, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Did/Do you like Van Hagar??..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I like the energy but, I don’t often drive 55…

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 3:29 AM

I like the energy but, I don’t often drive 55…

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 3:29 AM

I hear you..I like a lot of tunes Van Halen did with Sammy..But I have friends that think it was junk..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:32 AM

arnold ziffel on April 13, 2012 at 3:28 AM

I like Dean more than Frank and I don’t care what the mob says…

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Great day for republicans. We haven’t been on offense since this damn primary started. Nice be back on offense again. The one and his ilk being reduced to answering all day was masterful.

rubberneck on April 13, 2012 at 3:32 AM

That Zimmerman thread is a target rich environment for the ban hammer. I wanna be Thor

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM

arnold ziffel on April 13, 2012 at 3:28 AM

lolz..Good Stuff..:)

PS..Acted in some awesome Westerns also..:)

Dire Straits on April 13, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Uppereastside on April 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Per capita, the upper east side in New York, probably has more nannies than anywhere in the world. That’s why you have so many screwed up liberal kids. They all have mommy issues.

rubberneck on April 13, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Well, you oughta

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Rich stuff

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 4:28 AM

I’m giddy with anticipation

Gohawgs on April 13, 2012 at 5:43 AM

…and which wimpy republican dare to oppose an ex-Secretary of State, who gained notoriety as a war hero of sorts, when she bravely stood her ground in the face of enemy sniper fire,eh?
Besides, it’s the only ay she can one-up the first lady in the fashion woeld, by wearing a long cover-up black robe. Maybe she’ll insist upon a pink model to show solidarity?

Don L on April 13, 2012 at 6:57 AM

does this character flaw strike all the rich?

or just the ones who’s politics you hate?

Well done!

Doesn’t anyone who mocks Ann understand that Michelle Obama has a nanny (her mother), personal chef (from her “poor” days in Chicago), WH chefs, drivers, gardeners, and a jet at her disposal. Wouldn’t that, then, by apples to apples comparison, make her a poor mother, according to their snarkiness toward Ann’s perceived lifestyle? Let them put that in their pipes and smoke it.

ABO2012

herm2416 on April 13, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Always dug the Project. Still do. : )

Bmore on April 13, 2012 at 3:04 AM

My favorite…This would be my musical opinion of a liberal.

moo on April 13, 2012 at 7:21 AM

“We are proud to provide pro-bono support to Sandra Fluke, an incredibly courageous young woman who is standing up for the rights of women everywhere in the face of sustained, personal attacks …. We were first connected to Sandra through one of her personal friends who came to us seeking our assistance.” ~ Hilary Rosen

Flora Duh on April 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM

V

SparkPlug on April 13, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Let’s hope team Romney gets a little more “Obama-centric” in these skirmishes with the democrites. Sure the “mom” angle is a good battleground- but these liberal frauds need to be taken to task every time they spew their bs. They keep taking the focus away from the commie in the WH- and THAT’S their ultimate strategy. Don’t let them do it. A better counterattack reply would be to suggest the folly of Rosen or ANY obamacrat to suggest they have a clue about “economics” – as they try to take a position of possessing the “economic” solution to anything. The democrats FAIL at economics – except when it comes to cronyism. They are corrupt as the day is long. Keep pounding that home every chance you get Rombo.

FlaMurph on April 13, 2012 at 8:14 AM

That text message that she read is what got me fired up, asides from those comments on Ann Romney. Sarah is the first, the original that suffered that “war on women” and the liberals dispatched a message of “go back home to Alaska” (Mrs. Bush also!) shut up and go back to your kids.

That is unacceptable. Sarah deserves as much as an apology as Mrs. Romney. What got me also fired up is that the RNC demanded one! Hey, where were they when the Palins went through the worst political attacks so far in an election campaign? Of course neither Sarah nor Bristol will get one-who also made choices and is adapting well to them-as many teenagers that do so.

I stay at home, can’t work, I am a happy Grizzly Mama Warrior and with my own health issues as well, though not as bad as Ann Romney’s. This hit a nerve and the polls will show it.

ProudPalinFan on April 13, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Flora Duh on April 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM

I’d say “Surprise!” but it’s not.

Fallon on April 13, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I’d say “Surprise!” but it’s not.

Fallon on April 13, 2012 at 8:16 AM

No, it’s not. Axelrod and the DNC can claim Rosen doesn’t “work” for them until the cows come home, I’ll never believe it. Heck, Rosen is the one they sent DWS to for “media training” when the WH told Debs to tone down the rhetoric a notch.

I saw this over at RCP last night:

Axelrod To CNN: Rosen Is “Your Employee, Not Ours”

ROFL This is what happens to idiots when they are no longer useful.

Flora Duh on April 13, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Guess who said in 2008, “taking care of the children, supporting the husband, doing everything she can because she loves him” makes a candidate’s wife sort of the most sympathetic person in the candidate’s realm?

If you guessed Hilary Rosen, you’re right!

Rosen in 2008: Attacks on Michelle Obama ‘stupid’

Now guess who said in 2008, “…when you start attacking family members, there’s a lack of decency there.”

If you guessed Barak Obama, right again!

Obama Warns GOP “Lay Off My Wife”

Flora Duh on April 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM

There are 3 Hilary Rosens. And 3 dudes named Malik “Zulu” Shabaaz./

Buy Danish on April 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Uh-huh. Sure.

I guess Biden is no longer part of the Obama campaign.

Syzygy on April 13, 2012 at 8:53 AM

“… but we in the DNC have not been running a campaign based on the term ‘war on Women.’ That’s a myth cooked up by Republicans.’”

“‘I think the war on women is real,’ Biden said

What? Did Biden become a Repub? Who knew?

To say nothing of Debbie whatsHerFace Schultzzz.

IrishEyes on April 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM

To say nothing of Debbie whatsHerFace Schultzzz.

IrishEyes on April 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Dana Loesch exposed that lie yesterday with this piece at Breitbart.com

Dem Strategist: GOP Made Up ‘War On Women

Flora Duh on April 13, 2012 at 9:01 AM

DNC selling “Stop the Republican War on Women” Car Magnets.

Flora Duh on April 13, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Why do Democrats hate Moms?

OkieDoc on April 13, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Hilary Rosen must have really stepped in it if Whoopi Goldberg was publicly criticizing her, and Elisabeth Hasselbeck was complimenting Whoopi on her “fairness”.

Then again, who are the major audience of “The View”? Stay-at-home wives–working women are on the job when “The View” comes on! The ladies on “The View” didn’t want to let Rosen insult their audience!

Steve Z on April 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM

The ladies on “The View” didn’t want to let Rosen insult their audience!

Steve Z on April 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Apparently Joy Behar didn’t get the memo.

The View’s Behar Defends Hilary Rosen’s Attack on Ann Romney